[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 411
Thread images: 28

File: Owlbear and Chickubs.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Owlbear and Chickubs.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Downtime:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_Downtime.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/db43d70dde08

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/
>>52666788
>>
Druids only fuck opposite gendered animals
>>
ive only played martials. Should i go land or moon druid?
>>
>>52674612
Play a Sorcerer
>>
>>52674612
Without modification, land druids are objectively superior to moon druids in nearly every way.
>>
>>52674612
evoker
>>
>>52674630
What game are you playing, cause it sure isn't 5e D&D.
>>52674612
Moon would probably be the best transition.
>>
File: Map.jpg (1018KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
1018KB, 1024x768px
I'm working on this new map for a campaign I'll eventually run in the future. This has been my progress so far. What do you think?
>>
>>52674719
What's the big feature of moon druids? Wild shape bonuses.

What's better than wild shape? Polymorph.

Which subclass can cast polymorph more often? Land.
>>
>>52674761
How many campaigns actually run 'til the level where you get Polymorph? Few.
>>
>>52674781
You get polymorph at level 7...
>>
>>52674781
is it that uncommon? I've played at least 3 games that have gone from level 1-7+
>>
>>52674781
>le games never advance past level 2 meme

Moon druids get polymorph at level 7. Land druids can start casting it more often than moon druids at level 8. Neither of these levels are incredibly hard to reach.
>>
>>52674819
It isn't uncommon. A few months after 5e's release, WotC put out some survey results that showed most games AT THE TIME ended before players reached levels 10+. The timing of the survey is a huge issue that raises questions about the validity of its data. But despite these questions, morons have created the meme that no games ever get past level 10, and they've been steadily lowering the ceiling ever since, to the point that a game getting past level 5 is seen as a long shot.

I'll tell you a secret: If your group is composed of well adjusted friends and not retards, it's pretty easy to play all the way to level 20.
>>
>>52674612
Land Druid is honestly better if your going to play at levels 3+, which you should be. Polymorph is basically a better version of Wild Shape for combat and it mean you can use your Wild Shape for utility.

Underdark is most likely the best land choice but I think Grasslands is a close second.
>>
>>52674739

I love the way this map software looks. Just wish I wasn't too retarded to make maps.
>>
>>52674864

Also depends a lot on the group and the tone they want to set...

The games I've played in, and now run, had/have slow advancement. At least a few months of steady play per level. We're a proper stable bunch, but games tend to end at around 7.
>>
>>52674739
Looks pretty good. If you plan on expanding it out, you may want to keep in mind the way plate tectonics and continental drift work on Earth, if you want to give your world a more believable, Earth-physics kind of feel.

Mainly, mountain ranges form along the boundaries of plates, over millions of years, and land masses float along these plates, slowly drifting about. Some large land masses may appear to fit together, and at one time they may have, but have drifted apart over millennia.
>>
>tfw no blaster with short rest spell slots

god if only the warlock spell list wasn't trash
>>
So in the new UA, you can find people selling magic items.

Now, as written this requires a persuasion check. Shouldn't it be an investigation check? Should it be both?
>>
>>52675071
um. no.
>>
>>52675071
should it be either*
>>
>>52675071
The cool thing about that is, now there is a precedent to rolling to find magic items put out by the creators.

UA material is playtest, so adjust as you see fit.
Personally in my game, depending on how the character went about it, I would have them roll one, or the other, or yes, perhaps both. Like everything, it depends on their actions in game.
>>
>>52675063
Fiend patron.
>>
Hi /5eg/
I've become the DM for a group of 6 players, I've DMed a lot before, so that's all groovy. But what I'm thinking would be fun is if we make our setting using Dawn of Worlds for a session first.
Now the big question is, is there a better game than Dawn of Worlds for this?
>>
>>52675316
i dunno
>>
>>52675211
>not great old one for psychic damage that almost nothing is resistant to
>>
>>52675063
So just dip one level of warlock and pick another caster?
>>
>>52675432

>dissonant whispers at warlock1
>black tentacles at warlock8

wow it's fucking nothing
>>
File: armor triangle attack.jpg (65KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
armor triangle attack.jpg
65KB, 400x267px
Someone said you could get Plate armor from Death House in Curse of Strahd, while others said it will rust if you take it from the house. I'm looking over the book and it says that the books in the Library will rot if you take them from the house and the books in the basement will age but stay intact, but I don't see it saying anything about the armor?
>>
>>52675432

Yeah it's nothing. Just pick Fiend + Elemental Adept if you're focused on Warlock blasting.
>>
I'm running Skt and there is a lot of over world travel. I want to give them some sort of magic item that functions as a mobile base camp, sort of like a pocket dimension they can visit from time to time.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>52675469

>Sorclock Meme Build
REEEEE!

Seriously though Warlock shouldn't just be the 2 level now I can spam agonizing blast dip class
>>
>>52675550
A magic key that performs once per long rest Mordenkeinen's Magnificent Mansion?

A Vistani Vardo?

Daern's Instant Fortress?
>>
File: Tanaka.Gundam.full.1227419.jpg (647KB, 1120x700px) Image search: [Google]
Tanaka.Gundam.full.1227419.jpg
647KB, 1120x700px
I want to go full chuuni. What's the best class/race combo for this? I'm guessing Tiefling Rogue (Arcane Trickster) is pretty high up there.
>>
>>52675580

warlock literally exists to give other classes access to eldritch blast, hex, and invocations
>>
>>52675600
Don't be an actual tiefling. Pretend to be.

Honestly, arcane trickster is probably your best shot. Warlock also works in the sense they're a half-assed caster that's powerful for a bit but then has to resort to blasting, in the same way Megumin blows her load quickly.
>>
>>52675550
>>52675594

1/day Mordekainen's Mansion is Very Rare bordering on Legendary level magic though
>>
>>52674739
I LOVE this map. What software do you use?

One thing I'd suggest would be to touch up your coasts to make them more jaggy. Also, I'd like to see the names of your locations!
>>
>>52675594
>>52675662

something something Cauldwell's Cozy Cottage

a smaller, shittier Mansion, no servants, has a range and pots/pans but no food, contains two bunk beds and a washtub

once every 48 hours or something I dunno
>>
>>52675662
It's barely rare.

But okay, a Daern's Instant Fortress it is. Something like the Mansion, only it gets conjured in the material plane

I gave my players a mansion that is basically the TARDIS right at level 3, so they have a plot hook for whenever I want, and shit to spend their money in
>>
>>52675621

Thats the current implication with the ability to dip for 2 levels and get like 90% of the best features,

Same with the UA Ranger
>>
>>52675711
Watch out for players using Daern's instant fortress to kill stuff.
>>
>>52675662

Do this >>52675704 except make it incredibly cheap and shit. Like a roof leaking extra dimensional ooze, giant rats that are sometimes brave enough to attack, a human skeleton in the cupboard that keeps reappearing.
>>
>>52675724
>multiclassing UA

Come on now, son.
>>
File: 1491253832826.png (656KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1491253832826.png
656KB, 720x540px
https://webmshare.com/ReP0G
>>
>>52675711

1/day 7th level spell with no charge limit?

That's a pretty powerful effect. Based upon the Helm of Teleportation I guess you could make a case for Rare but I'd still lean towards Very Rare simply based upon the fact that it wouldn't require attunement and basically means it eliminates any upkeep requirements and makes random encounters non-existent.
>>
>>52675784

I wasn't saying that Multiclassing UA was good. It's more that classes shouldn't be ridiculously front loaded
>>
I'm looking for ways to Increase my Spell DC. Currently Playing a Bard, I know dipping into wizard will bump it but id there anything short of requesting homebrew items to increase my DC?
>>
Hello /tg/, requesting character aid. 5th edition D&D, naturally.

I am making a high elf wizard who is something of an inquisitor. His tradition will be Divination. Because my GM's setting is "vague homebrew", I am fluffing him as a sort of sun elf, and as his first level taking Cleric. However, I am unsure what god to accept, particularly insofar as 5th edition is limited (I have never actually played it, despite playing plenty of earlier editions). Corellon is obvious, but he's very CG, where I am looking for something far more lawful. Amaunator could work, but I don't know if or how he exists in 5th. Again, homebrew, so I can whip something custom up.

The concept, in essence, is obviously centered around light. Literally, in the form of the dawn, the morning, the sun; the act of revelation, knowledge, clarity and inspiration; goodness, healing, purity, and truth. This gives me a varied and substantial toolkit in terms of concepts to pull from as I flesh out the character and his slice of the world.

What do you guys think, and how difficult mechanically will this be to play up?
>>
Playing Aasimar for the first time and pretty excited.

I'm playing him as NG, but how would I know when I've fallen? Obviously, shit like rape/murder, but I just don't want my DM coming at me out of the blue with "okay ou've fallen".
>>
>>52675860
Fuckin'

How many people have to insist on taking an overpowered single level cleric dip on wizard?
>>
Is there a list of all the backgrounds in 5e?
>>
>>52674583
Druids, when they have sex with animals, only have sex with at least two of them, in Noah's ark style pairs of two.

>>52675063
What is a fiend patron? What is a wizard?

>>52675515
Nothing RAW, it's implied that everything in the house is good looking only because it's sustained by the House's magic garbage, and becomes useless when it leaves its power source which is where that came from, no idea if there's been official insight on it.

>>52675860
sun elf as hhigh elf is an "official"ly supported refluff/thing. looks fine mechanically. any lore answers go out the window since this is a homebrew setting, which means you take your ideas and, along with >>52675893 talk to your dm.
>>
>>52675623
underrated
>>
>>52675860
Amaunator does exist, but he's Lawful Good now instead of just lawful. Lathandar is an option too, but he's Neutral Good.
>>
>>52675860
If the setting is vague "homebrew", do you really need to pick an established D&D god? Just roll up saying that you worship the LN Sun Disk and iron out any minor details with the DM.
>>
>>52675813
>That's a pretty powerful effect.

For a seventh level spell, maybe, but the Mansion is no Forcecage.
Especially if the mansion plants are permanently set.
>>
>>52675550
The airship was what the party used mostly.
Sometime's they'd tell the cultists to sail the ship to a major city, then teleport (they aligned with the Harpers) and caroused until the ship arrived.
>>
What's the difference between running Against the Giants or Storm King's Thunder?
>>
>>52675550
The players can do something like this with the new ritual spell that gets nature spirits to set up a camp for you.

Have a sort of 'blueprint' and sufficient camp equipment and they can set up camp whereever.

You could use that spell and combine it with a wagon the party keeps with them that has a big tent for the entire party with various things set up in it.
>>
>>52675894
So it's...incredibly mechanically beneficial? How overpowered is this? I want to be somewhat defensible, and the wide array of spell selection will help me fulfill the varying interpretations of the concept.

>>52675910
>sun elf as hhigh elf is an "official"ly supported refluff/thing. looks fine mechanically. any lore answers go out the window since this is a homebrew setting

I have been reading around somewhat, and I remember the sun elves of Faerun, so I've noticed a lot of overlap in the way these types of elves have been realized. I almost considered going outright eladrin or aasimar, but I feel like grounding him firmly between high celestial existence and mundane human existence is an ideal place for him.

>>52675921
Yep, pretty much what I observed. I figured I might cannibalize his concept some.

>>52675971
Pretty much, yeah.

My one worry is stats - do you need anything special, like a minimum in any one stat, for multiclassing? We are using standard array, so I was putting my 14 in Dexterity, but with the ability to wear armor, might that not be necessary? I could assign it to Wis, then.
>>
>>52675857
How does Wizard raise your DC?
Also depending on what Bard you are you can use your bardic inspiration to lower an enemies save against your DC.
>>
>>52676046
Lore master wizard gets a feature that allows burning of spell slots for +2 to the spell DC
>>
>>52676034
>>52675860

Fuck the Police, worship Pholtus.
>>
>>52676034
Upsides:
>A level 1 cleric domain feature
>+1 total HP if your first level is cleric
>Shields, +2 AC
>Medium / Heavy armour, +5 AC (+4 AC for no stealth disadvantage) or +6 AC respectively over unarmoured with 14 dex (+2(+1) / +3 compared to mage armour)
>Access to level 1 cleric spells that you can replace at every long rest
>+3 cantrips, of which you can choose from some nice ones such as Guidance

Downsides:
>One level behind maximum wizard spell progression, on one half of all levels your max spell level will be one below a normal wizard
> -(1/2) a spell slot level every short rest from arcane recovery
>ASI delayed by 1 level, wizard features delayed by 1 level

Honestly I get annoyed about it because, AC stacking on a class that's not supposed to have such easy AC. Compared to a normal wizard, on one half of all levels you're pretty much straight-up better than them and on the other half of all levels you're maybe even with them.
>>
>>52676147
>>52676034
Oh, right, there's some other things like requiring at least 13 int and 13 wis where you needed neither of those before and whatever.

But yeah, I'm salty about a wizard taking a single level dip for ~+5 AC while only losing at most half a level 1 spell slot.
>>
>>52675662
Mearls pls go and stay go. Nobody likes the low magic stuff, and it actually hurts martials more anyways.
>>
>>52675724
What's so good about a ranger dip?
>>
>>52676046
Cutting word doesn't work on enemy saving throw. Stop spreading false infomation and acrually go read the PHB.
>>
>>52676168
>>52676147
Fuck, I keep messing up
It's +2 HP over pure wizard, but if you were a cleric/wizard then you'd get +1 HP over going wizard as first level.
>>
>>52675857
Your only choice aside from 'asking for homebrew items' is taking a level of warlock and asking for rod of the pact keeper or going theurgist wizard and that's stupid. Or doing things like going sorcerer and getting heightened spell or disadvantagehound from shadow sorcerer.

In any case, stop trying and maybe beg your DM. Homebrew items can absolutely be better than already existing magical items anyway, unlike homebrew classes.
>>
>>52674761
Polymorph is a concentration spell that Moon Druids also have. Land Druid might cast it five times to the Moon Druid's three times per day. But the Moon Druid can also wildshape six times in a day with two short rests. (DMG recommends two short rests per long rest). Circle Forms and Elemental Wildshape means a Moon Druid could summon an Elemental and then Wildshape into an Elemental.

The Land Druid would only be better outside of combat.
>>
>>52676096
>Pholtus
I like him, a lot. Especially:

>Mark your brow with five white stripes and hang suncatchers on as many public buildings as you can. If no buildings are around, hang the suncatchers from a tree or natural formation instead. Never hang a suncatcher in the same place 2 days in a row.

>>52676147
>>52676168
If it makes you feel better I'm a bad munchkin and I probably need the bump to be competitive. I'll probably get dumb spells with the cantrips just because I like the idea of them, and get crunched in combat.
>>
>>52676229
>Advantage on initiative
>+2 on all damage rolls against humanoids
>Advantage on all knowledge rolls to do with humanoids
>Cannot get lost except by magical means
>Travel at normal pace while stealthing
>+1 skill, armour proficiencies, 1d10 hitdie, martial weapon proficiencies
>Ignore difficult terrain
>Leads onto a great level 2 and level 3: Level 2 allows you to get a fighting style and a level of spellcasting, level 3 gives a level of spellcasting if you weren't a spellcaster with your multiclass and gives you, say, hunter's 'Horde breaker' to get another attack that stacks with extra attack but requires a target next to your target. Or colossus slayer. Or whatever.

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting some things UA ranger gets at level 1, but you get the idea: It's heavily frontloaded.
>>
>>52674931
yeah, I always try to keep in mind what makes sense geographically. I'm pretty invested in making my world appear coherent.

>>52675683
Inkarnate plus Photoshop. Yeah, the coast isn't done yet, I'm still not finished on the detail work..
>>
>>52676281
As long as you don't have another wizard in your party, because then you'd be 'Basically that wizard but tougher.'

Still, whether you're trying to or not, you're managing to hit all the metagaming notes.
>>
What's the best adventure from Tales for a newish DM to run?

I've got some of my players interested in finally giving me a chance to play.

We've already done White Plume.
>>
So my DM has removed the Assassin Subclass and given Thieves the ability to auto-crit on their first melee attack if the enemy's surprised.

I'm kind of worried that it'll make then a little too powerful but I guess it does give Thieves a little boost.
>>
>>52674890
Polymorph is a concentration spell you dolt. Also, Moon Druids wildshape twice per short rest, with the Wildshape often lasting past one encounter. Polymorph lasts a maximum of one hour.
>>
>>52676326
>>52676281
>Metagaming
Or, before someone >implyings me, probably better to say munchkinning, yeah.
>>
>>52675857
Go Warlock, take Rod of Pact Keeper. Every bard has to multiclass eventually anyway (Level 19 and 20 being garbage), but beware of the level 20 build

Also, Wand of the War Mage if you're making many bigby's hand attack rolls.
>>
So...
I'm trying to work out how to make a dirty fighting, tricky bastard. Do shit like groin hits, sand in the eyes, human shields, and so on.
It's for a mercenary campaign a friend is running and I want to fight like a dirty, low down, honorless merc.
So how should I go about doing this?
Fighter/Rogue multiclass? Battlemaster with different fluff?
Rogue built to be beefy?
Preferably using a single longsword or the like with an empty off hand, but I'm willing to give that up if there's no way to make it good.
I remember 4e had the Brawler version of the Fighter that was all about this kind of shit. Is there anything for 5e like that yet?
>>
>>52676327
Sunless Citadel is a great place to start. Just be sure to tell them to expand on Oakhurst a bit more so it's not just "yeah you talk to the shopkeep and then now you're in the dungeon." With a little work that little town can be a really interesting place.
>>
>>52676312

Yep, UA Ranger 2 is a massively valuable dip for just about any martial class.

Of course
>Multiclass
>Multiclass UA

So a DM only has themselves to blame for letting that shit fly
>>
>>52676340
Polymorph's main advantage is it lets you pick more powerful forms earlier on.

Moon Druid is of course very good but Land Druids can also turn into a powerful beast. Better yet turn another ally into a powerful beast and stay back casting spells.

Both are good but I feel like Land Druid's better.
>>
Has anyone played an Immortal Mystic? I'm interested in playing one as refluffed as an Alchemist. Taking Giant Size, Brute Force, Bestial Form, Iron Durability and Psionic Restoration (starting at lvl 5). I'm thinking of him as a Dr Jekyll kind of guy, who heals his party with potions and generally is useful as an investigator/sage but hulks out in combat and transforms into an Ogre with claws.

(And I'm going to ignore all the telepathy stuff)

Anyone have any experience with what works with Immortal Mystic? What to look out for, what might be a pitfall for a melee based caster?
>>
>>52676326
There's someone planning to play a half-elf wild magic sorcerer, I don't know how much overlap there is there, though.

I don't plan on being super blaster-y, though I will obviously take Sunbeam and stuff like that.
>>
>no one ever talks about assassin rogue

Is it just shit or something?
>>
>>52676358
I honestly think a Rogue would be best, maybe a Thief if you want no magic. Then multiclass 5 into Battlemaster if you want to.

Just ask if you can use the disarm rules in the DMG, take Expertise in Athletics and push, prone, disarm, grapple and think of anything else you can do to get the upper hand.
>>
>>52676229
UA ranger dip. If you still don't know what's so good about it, you should reread the text.

>>52676233
>"Cutting Word: ... attack roll, an ability check, or a damage roll"

>>52676327
Don't have them in their order memorized but if you've succesfully done the first one, move on to the second. Alternatively, LMoP is always a thing.

>>52676339
Assassin was already the weakest subclass, but Thief was already p strong. Other possibilities include just making it a 3rd level rogue feature?

>>52676281
You are and will be fine. at least 13 of each of Int and Wis are necessary. If you're getting a Heavy Armor (prof granting) domain, you don't need dex, otherwise 14 is what you'll need for the rest of your life. It'll all play fine. Sure, you'll be stronger than a straight wizard way later on, but for the first long while you'll feel that one level lag. You'll still be fine the whole time. It's neither meme levels of too strong or too weak.
>>
File: Might makes Light.jpg (265KB, 575x896px) Image search: [Google]
Might makes Light.jpg
265KB, 575x896px
>>52676281
The most interesting thing about following Pholtus: His followers don't believe other gods exist.

They're very rigid and lawful too, believing in the One True Path. Brush up on your Hymns as well.
>O Blinding Light,
>O light that blinds,
>I cannot see,
>Look out for me!

>>52676326
>>52676344
From the description he's likely going to go Light Cleric, which is basically a blasty-wizardy cleric normally so it doesn't overlap in what anyone would really call a munchkinny manner with wizard.
>>
>>52676427
Too many condition to fullfill for one critical hit.
>>
Is it wise for a valor Bard to dip into paladin for two levels for smite?
>>
>>52676441
>>"Cutting Word: ... attack roll, an ability check, or a damage roll"
None of which are Saving Throws

Check the wording on Bardic Inspiration for a counter example, which can indeed be used in Saves
>>
>>52676468
Smite, heavy Armor, fighting style..

Yeah, a 2 level pally dip is obligatory
>>
>>52676441
None of that is saving throw. Thanks for proving my point.

> Inb4 retard think saving throw is an ability check
>>
>>52676491
I might even suggest starting with pally 2, so you don't have save proficency on your dump stat
>>
>>52676427
It's not great. Fulfilling the conditions to get your critical is harder then it looks and none of it's other abilities come up in most games.

I personally will let an Assassin who's managed to get into a perfect position to assassinate someone make a Critical Hit against an enemy without all the initiative stuff because I have a Changeling one in the party who enjoys it.
>>
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/10/02/saving-check/

Just in case some poor anons really didn't know that saving throw isn't an ability check
>>
>>52676427
Their abilities either don't come up nearly ever, or you're in a stealth/assassination campaign.

>>52676473
Sorry for lack of clarity, I was agreeing with you. Was going to add a "huh" or something but then did not function sufficiently.

>>52676468
Wouldn't be the strongest thing in existence, but could work just fine. Should additionally start in pally for Heavy armor.
>>
>>52676507

Honestly most of the Rogue subclasses are pretty mediocre best unless you are using the UA Scout.
>>
>>52676552
really, isnt kinda weak before 9... the level 3 is meh
>>
>>52676552
I just looked up the UA scout and it looks worse than Trickster or Thief.
>>
>>52676377
>polymorph lets you use more powerful shapes
Really? It's limited by your CR which is not your character level
>>
>>52676585
Try reading again.
>>
>>52676552
Arcane Trickster and Swashbuckler are great. Scout, Inquisitive and Thief are decent and good at higher levels.

Mastermind and Assassin are pretty meh. The Rogue base class is already good though and the Subclass is mostly just a boost.

>>52676585
>The new form can be any beast whose challenge rating is equal to or less than the target's (or the target's level, if it doesn't have a challenge rating).

CR7 at level 7 seems better then a Moon Druids CR2.
>>
>>52675860
Amauntor is God of the Sun. Lathander is God of Dawn. I believe Lathander is stronger in 5e
>>
>>52676585
CR 7 is much stronger than a lvl 7 PC.
>>
>>52676441
>You are and will be fine. at least 13 of each of Int and Wis are necessary. If you're getting a Heavy Armor (prof granting) domain, you don't need dex, otherwise 14 is what you'll need for the rest of your life. It'll all play fine. Sure, you'll be stronger than a straight wizard way later on, but for the first long while you'll feel that one level lag. You'll still be fine the whole time. It's neither meme levels of too strong or too weak.

So how about:

8 Str
14 (16) Dex
12 Con
15 (16) Int
13 Wis
10 Cha

Feels like I might miss the bump to social skills, but at this point I know I'm being greedy.

>>52676451
Look, this man has brought me DOOM. What a good man. You are my friend, and I will listen to your words.

>>52676627
danke
>>
File: IMG_7131.jpg (61KB, 774x938px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7131.jpg
61KB, 774x938px
I'm running a session this weekend for my normal campaign with two guest players, and want to do a nice and tight 6 hour adventure for the party. It's an Asian-inspired setting and my though was that the antagonist would be a Spirit Naga that leads a shadowy ninja clan in pursuit of the guest players for revenge or something.

Does anyone have any ideas for additional enemies I could throw at them besides the Naga and reskinned Hobgoblin Iron Shadows?
>>
>>52676634
>>52676614
>>52676594
Missed the parenthesis. So land can get a couple more polymorphs which require concentration and have a shorter concentration while giving up changing as a bonus action, beast attacks being considered magical, self healing, and access to elemental forms
>>
>>52676738
So you turn an Ally into a Giant Ape and stay back as a full caster.
>>
>>52676388
There's a bit. They'll end up with 10+dex AC or, if they use mage armour, 13+dex, but they have a limited number of spell slots and spells known to use for mage armour. Sorcerers are pretty much wizards with less spells known, less spells, no ritual casting and less spell slots (unless they sacrifice metamagic) prepared but they can twin spells sometimes I guess. If you play well, you'd overshadow them even if you were a pure wizard, but.. You can probably get away with it. Maybe. By not knowing what you're doing.
>>
>>52676727
Kappa
Tengu
Nopperabou
Oni
Tanuki
Kitsune
Demonic tigers
>>
>>52676748
You can already do that and which of your teammates is going to volunteer to get changed
>>
>>52676451
>The most interesting thing about following Pholtus: His followers don't believe other gods exist.

I'm imaging the Axis cult from Konosuba
>>
>>52676451
Domain choice hardly affects how munchkinney it is, because no matter what you get medium armour and shields straight away and you can still swap your cleric spells around as needed.

Light cleric's level 1 feature isn't bad at all, though. Still, really, the main problem is just getting a ton of AC in my opinion.
>>
>>52676758
I guess I should ask what the best way would be to avoid overshadowing him would be, then.
>>
>>52676696
Remember as a Cleric you can get the Guidance cantrip for a +1d4 to an ability roll that you can throw out as long as you aren't concentrating on another spell, which is quite large early on. Will make you quite popular with the party if they don't have another guidance-er.
>>
File: DuelingCap.jpg (113KB, 787x192px) Image search: [Google]
DuelingCap.jpg
113KB, 787x192px
Does the dueling fighting style's damage bonus apply to thrown weapons?
>>
>>52676821
I dont see why not

Though its easy to argue that since youre no longer wielding the weapon when the damage occurs that it doesnt count
>>
I'm playing with a new DM soon and he's letting me play a new Favored Soul. I'm having trouble picking my spells though because I have so many to decide from and the DM's known for being fairly leathal so I'm worried about not taking Mage Armour.

His houserules are that Sorcerers get an extra spell known every even level, get twice as many metamagics picked whenever I get to and Spellpoints combined with Sorcery Points. Are there any Cleric spells that are impossible to give up?

>>52676776
Any teammate who wants to be the star of the combat.

It basically comes down to would you rather have a low CR Beast who's a really good tank or someone who can sit back casting spells. Depending on the game one's going to be better then the other and in most cases I'd rather have a caster damaging and healing then a Druid running in playing martial.
>>
>>52676811
It's going to be hard. Hopefully he'll specialize in areas where Sorcerer's excel like twinning buffs or something.
If he's smart he'll dip 2 levels in Warlock for short rest spells to burn for sorc points and agonizing blast to keep him solid forever.
>>
>>52676821
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/03/does-the-dueling-style-apply-to-a-thrown-melee-weapon/
>>
>>52676769
Are there stat blocks for those besides the Oni?
>>
Would you eat a troll?
>>
>>52676870
Tengu are statted for sure.
>>
>>52676813
I mean, I was going Divination tradition for my Wizard levels anyway. It's what he's all about.

>>52676863
I will keep that in mind. Thanks!
>>
>>52676835
If the DM is letting you have F R E E spells then there's no reason not to get mage armor.
>>
>>52676835
So land is better is
A) No enemies attack casters
and
B) You have a teammate that doesn't want to use their class abilities
>>
>>52676821
Yep. I also believe that Close Quarters Shooter works for them if you'd rather the +1 Attack and ignoring close cover.
>>
>>52676876

Can a Troll regenerate when exposed to stomach acid? Because it would suck if a Troll started regenerating in your colon.
>>
>>52676973
>troll meat starts regenerating
>stomach acids begin to absorb the new nutrients
>endless cycle

This is either an ingenious idea or an incredibly retarded idea. I figure once the Troll is dead it can no longer regenerate though
>>
>>52676863
How can Sorcerers still be useful in a party with a wizard in it in general? They just seem so generally inferior.
>>
A question if someone can help me
When playing a paladin is it a must to choose who is your patron god?
Started rolling a paladin with initiate magic feat, the story is that he received his mission along magical powers in some sort of angelic revelation, want to keep it vague so I might develop the story as it continues.
Also, is it mutually exclusive to multi class into a paladin warlock?
>>
>>52676937
Of course enemies attack casters. A Land Druid can save their Wild Shape to turn into an Owl to escape though.

Also turning allies into a Giant Animal means they still have full health and resources after. So they can go longer without a rest and be the heaviest hitting and longest lasting.

If no allies willing then turn into a Giant Owl for fly by attacks or a Huge Giant Crab for a high CON save.
>>
Starting a new character with my local group. Thinking of going with a fighter for the first 5 levels than switching to rogue for that glorious sneak attack damage.

Dual wielding shortswords and a longbow seem like a normal enough build?
>>
>>52677013
Sorcerer is more blasty and has meta magic, it lets the wizard to focus on utility spells.
>implying a second caster is not a huge buff to a party
Just because you are not the brightest star in the sky doesn't mean you don't shine.
>>
>>52676011
Against the Giants is pretty much a single dungeon crawl filled with multiple giant types to prevent an orchestrated giant attack against the Duchy of Geoff on Greyhawk were if done right you move through rooms of progressively larger enemies.

Storm King's Thunder is open world chaos across the Sword Coast and Savage Frontier of The continent of Faerun. Petty Giant Lords vie for new position and power in their now broken divinely mandated caste system; trampling over the civilization of small folk in the process alongside other mystery and intrigue to uncover. For when all of giant kind are in disarray there are those who would turn this to their own fell advantage. Travel to exotic locals, pursue multiple possible leads against myriad foes with competing goals. Shape the future of the frontier!

Scale and Storytelling. The difference is scale and storytelling. Also one is a few decades old and the other is barely a year since first being published, both are products of their era.
>>
>>52677034
So essentially you are taken out of the fight. Land Druid is strickly worse than any Wizard while Moon is simply a niche tank spellcaster class
>>
>>52677072
If you had dedicated utility and blasty casters wouldn't you completely outshine the martials except as meat shields?
>>
>>52676973
acid damage is acid damage. No regen.

>>52677026
No pally patron deities needed in 5e, Paladins are beholden to and get their powers from an oath first and foremost. Nothing stopping Pally/lock multiclass

>>52677043
Seems fine. Take a look at Figher's Fighting styles. You'll either want to focus on one of the two types you mentioned, or go for a generalist style like Defense for an always on +1 AC.
>>
Do you give some dragon trait to dragonborn? Like white dragon great memories.
>>
File: TrollCap.jpg (115KB, 789x175px) Image search: [Google]
TrollCap.jpg
115KB, 789x175px
>>52676973
>>52677003
>>
File: SunElfFace01.png (122KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
SunElfFace01.png
122KB, 210x330px
>Drow Priestess: They say you are the bravest of our captives...
>My Elf: They say you a whore from deep beneath the earth...
What happens to the other elf prisoners?
>>
File: typical paladin.png (506KB, 567x720px) Image search: [Google]
typical paladin.png
506KB, 567x720px
>>52677026
>When playing a paladin is it a must to choose who is your patron god?

No, a Paladin is about the Oath not about the God.
Faith and Gods are more important for Clerics. You could have an Atheist cleric too, but I figure the belief system would still be central.

I'm not certain what you mean about mutually exclusive. Paladin multiclasses into Warlock very well and can be an interesting roleplaying set up too depending on Oath and Patron.
>>
>>52677072
But would having a Wizard and Evocation Wizard in the party allow better blasting than Wizard and Sorcerer, unless the sorcerer dips warlock?
>>
>>52677090
Land Druid has healing and plenty of control and damage spells a Wizard can't get. Heat Metal and Spike Growth are both brutal spells.

Moon Druid is a kinda caster, kinda tank. Once again it's not bad and will outshine a Land Druid in damage and tankiness but most parties would rather have a spellcaster who's helping them then one who turns into a Bear twice, burns all his slots healing himself and then demands a rest.

Also Wizards are way too overrated online. They're probably as good as a Land Druid and worse then a Bard. Their only advantage is they've got a lot of options and will never be horrible in a situation.
>>
>>52677097
>>52677124

The question isn't whether stomach acid is acid it's whether it's concentrated enough to actually do acid damage.

If any acid could stop regeneration then you could just throw vinegar on a troll.
>>
>>52677098
A GM can do whatever he wants. Sounds like a fun fluff exercise though, something many players would do anyway.

Do you mean just as fluff or with mechanical effects?
>>
>>52676973
if that could happen someone would have capitalized that ability
>get a troll
>tear off his arm
>arm grows into a new troll,original troll regenerates
>get a troll army and storm nearest town then loot for profit
>>
>>52674536
My players encountered an owlbear and her cubs, and they decided to call her young "chubs" rather than chickubs or something else. I had a good chuckle, and we kept on calling them that.

I thought this was okay for a while, until they revealed six sessions later that all but one of them didn't make the connection between "chub" and its actual vernacular. Of course the one that did realize that was laughing alongside me when they started calling them chubs in the first place.
>>
>>52676948
What's Close Quarters Shooter?
>>
>>52677198
UA fighting style.
>>
>>52677165
Mechanical effects, like charm person will not work because he have clear memory of never meeting you before.
>>
>>52677198
A UA fighting style. So you have to ask your DM before you can use it in games.

"When making a ranged attack while you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature, you do not have disadvantage on the attack roll. Your ranged attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover against targets within 30 feet of you. You have a +1 bonus to attack rolls on ranged attacks."

Because it only needs a Ranged Attack, not a Ranged Weapon Attack it works with spells and throwing weapons.
>>
>>52677128
they hope she doesnt do to them what she did to you
>>
>>52677093
>meat shields
Literally the only thing martialcucks are good for anyway.
>>
>>52677201
That's not really how Charm person works.
>>
>>52677097
>>52677043

Was thinking of going with a variant human and picking up the dual weapon perk as well as taking two weapon fighting style. Usually rocking two swords but I can pull out a bow for ranged shit.
>>
>>52677160
>throw vinegar on a troll

Gonna try this with my DM next time.
>>
>>52677144
If complete party optimization is what you are going for then yes I suppose, but personally I don't think that's the purpose of the game
>>
>>52677160
Gastric Acid is around 1.5-3 on the PH scale, while something like Battery Acid is 0.6-1. Vinegar by comparison is 3.
>>
>>52677154
>most parties
Depends, a moon druid makes arguably the best tank so it really depends more on party makeup for which is preferable
>>
>>52677237
It isn't, it just seems like a shame to have the sorcerer to still feel so inferior when that goes against the ideals of 5e.
>>
File: ManChuckling.jpg (17KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
ManChuckling.jpg
17KB, 413x395px
>>52677154
>wizards
>worse than bards
>>
>>52677220
I took a blind shot at magic I don't know much about. Here another example: a fog of forgetfulness creep into the party camp, everyone forgot except for white.
>>
>>52677263
Sorcerer needs way more sorcery points to be effective
>>
>>52677273
They are.
>>
>>52676811
Really as other anon said I'd just make sure that they're good at what they should be good at by meaning stop them from doing really bad ideas. But they're already made a bad idea by playing a wild mage sorcerer.

At the least at low levels they can get advantage on an attack with chromatic orb and twin it at the same time, which is a thing. Though actually I'm not sure they get advantage on both chromatic orb attacks. Or, actually, I'm not sure. Does chromatic orb twinned have two attack rolls or one? I seem to remember firebolt getting +damage to both twinned targets because it's only supposed to be one damage roll, but two targets.
>>
>>52677262
That's what it comes down to really. If you only have one person who can take a heavy hit (Barbarians, Fighters, Paladins, some Rangers) then Moon Druid will be better.

>>52677273
Can you give a real reason for that? Bard have full spellcasting, access to any spells the party needs, skills, armour and weapons, Bardic Inspiration and a much more useful main stat.

Wizards have a lot of spells know (They can only prepare 25 at level 20 though), no armour, 2 skills, a much worse main stat, some short rest recharges and a fairly useful Arcane Tradition ability if you pick Diviner, Loremaster or Theurge.
>>
>>52677128
>Bravest
What she means is 'Most willingly to commit suicide'.
>>
>>52677290
More spells known would be nice too considering that all casters are like sorcerers now anyway.
>>
>>52677318
the most resistant to her torture
you idiot
>>
File: Carlos.jpg (26KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Carlos.jpg
26KB, 350x350px
>>52677307
>portent
>fairly useful
>>
Can someone explain to me how Magic Missile spam on an Evocation school Wizard isn't OP? I'm clearly missing something
>>
>>52677336
it's good at damage
other schools are good at other things
>>
>>52677307
I would actually say that Charisma is only a better casting stat than Intelligence if your Multiclassing. Since pretty much ONLY wizards will max intelligence, it means that for checks that rely on intelligence only a wizard is really going to do well.
This is somewhat mitigated though if you have a cleric in the party.

A bit of a moot point though since bards get tons of skills, expertise and half proficiency anyway.
>>
>>52677330
I think giving them the wizard spell list minus copywritten spells and giving them half sorcery points back on a rest would suffice. They have one of the worst capstones in the game
>>
>>52677371
I give players an extra language for every +1 modifier to INT to help balance it. Also opens interesting RP when your low CHA wizard has to do the social rolls when they are the only ones who know the language outside of magic
>>
>>52677376
>They have one of the worst capstones in the game

A Sorcerous origin ability? It is a bit lame, like the last Paladin Oath ability.
What's that, Spellcasting Focus? No, you dipped warlock because it is basically mandatory.
>>
>want my players to solve riddles and puzzles
>they demand to roll to have their character solve the riddle or puzzle because their character has an Int of 20 and is thus smarter than I am
>refuse
>they point out that I don't make the Barbarian player clean jerk and lift the table over his head to prove that his 20 Str character can break down doors

What do
>>
>>52677333
Twice per long rest you can make someone maybe fail a save or help someone succeed on something, better then Bardic Inspiration and Cutting Words by a moderate amount but you get more uses out of Bardic Inspiration.
>>
File: 1350802697378.jpg (15KB, 349x314px) Image search: [Google]
1350802697378.jpg
15KB, 349x314px
So this happened. Probably the most drama I've ever had in my life.

Can post shitty green text, but I'd rather put this in a sentence or two.

10/10 hourglass thickness joins our gaming group via friend who did it to show off, she is actually a great player. Friend was in the military and showboats about that - however he treats DND like a drinking game, we all drink, but he doesn't read the rules and plays like you'd imagine a guy who never read the rules and wants to goof off plays. This continues for months. They break up. My friend is seriously polygamous. She still plays, she is a really good player. At the beginning of every session, she tells me she looks forward to all the things I've prepared this week.

Well, her character dies and I tell her we can go over somethings and see what's up with her character. She invites me over, makes me dinner, bang because wrong head was thinking

You might be thinking, how random?

Well she loves it when her character(her) takes damage, is grappled, or is knocked out by anything (me)
>>
>>52677128
I doubt the drow's plans on what to do with the prisoners will be affected by such a lame insult.
>>
>>52677424

what's the problem here?
>>
>>52677421
Make them roll wisdom.
>>
Chaos Bolt got me thinking. It would be cool if sorcerers got exclusive spells/spell-like features that have additional effects when the damage dice get doubles or triples, and if you could spend an amount of sorcery points to guarantee those effects occur no matter what you roll (like a bigger AoE, more targets, or inflicting a condition).
>>
>>52677421

cant you gives tips to the puzzles base on their rolls
>>
>>52677424
>bang because wrong head was thinking

Yes, because fucking a 10/10 hourglass thickness girl that enjoys playing D&D is a bad idea.

Either fake and gay, or you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>52677336
Empowered or Overchannel? Overchannel os gonna be one burst between long rests so it's not amazing. Empowered Evocation does grant a big spike as long as the DM lets you add it on every instance of damage in a spell rather than once per spell

>>52677411
I mean their capstone (lvl 20) ability, Sorcerous Restoration, which gives them a wopping 4 sorcery points back on a short rest. Which is effectively a 2nd level spell slot.
>>
>>52677424
Stop shitposting.
>>
>>52677421
Stop reviving old arguments like whether it's fair forcing players to come up with elaborate speeches for their high charisma characters to recite if they want to succeed at persuasion.

It's not.
>>
>>52677459
So then Wis base classes are the puzzlemasters, got it.

>>52677470
That's like giving the fighter "tips" on how to lift the couch IRL based on his rolls rather than letting his character lift a couch in game.
>>
>>52677478
>I mean their capstone (lvl 20) ability, Sorcerous Restoration, which gives them a wopping 4 sorcery points back on a short rest. Which is effectively a 2nd level spell slot.

I know, I was being facetious, pointing out that it is so absolutely terrible you would never want to actually cap sorcerer.
>>
>>52677472
>Either fake and gay, or you're a fucking idiot.
and, anon. There is only "and".

Plus, this was a 10 by someone on /tg/'s standards. That probably makes it a 4 at best.
>>
>>52677485
>blah blah blah it's not fair

So you're in the camp that says, "Yes, you rolled 25 so you successfully solve the puzzle"?
>>
>>52677487
Why are you arguing with people about this. You got your answer. You're just trying to create and argument you shitposter.
>>
So I'm looking through the recent Sorc UA, and I'm trying to figure out the difference between Phoenix Sorc and Dragon Sorc for their damage buff ability. They seem almost the same from the PHB.
>>
>>52677495
Yea, honestly I'd homebrew it because I'd prefer people enjoying a class rather than feel required to multiclass
>>
>>52677336
Empowered Evocation is the main draw of playing an Evoker.

A magic missile with it will fuck up anyone at least fairly well and a 1st/2nd level spell with it will break most casters concentration.
>>
>>52677509
Please stop shitposting.
>>
File: doublesguy.jpg (12KB, 248x249px) Image search: [Google]
doublesguy.jpg
12KB, 248x249px
>>52677468
>dice get doubles

You really wanna go down this path?
>>
>>52677515
Phoenix Sorcerer is amazing. Once. Per long rest.

If you could pay 2 Sorcery Points to recharge it or something then it would be good.
>>
>>52677511
>ask an entire group of people their opinion on something
>one guy answers
>LOL OK YOU GOT WHAT YOU CAME FOR STOP REPLYING
>>
>>52677522
but how is it balanced? It seems like a massive nuke every turn up until the Wizard somehow manages to run out of slots.
>>
>>52677509
General rule is that if you can find a way to solve or help a task you either don't roll or get advantage but if you can't you should always let them roll for it otherwise you are railroading. You can always give them disadvantage on their INT roll if they have zero clues
>>
>>52677487
now you are just shitposting or wanting people to agree with you

cause a roll could easily mean ... this riddle relates to X or you heard of a similar riddle before. They still have to guess the puzzle.

I mean IRL and the character are different people. just because they are idiots IRL does nt mean their character are stupid
>>
>>52677548
>>
>>52677548
Because youre playing an evocation wizard. Control > damage always.
>>
>>52677548
Because single target damage isn't all that great and it's level 10. It's still amazing though, people don't give that feature enough credit.
>>
>>52677545
Stop shitposting.
>>
>>52677562
This is the best answer.
>>
>>52677487
Not really. It more of them having function (int) but they must know which one to use to find the right one (wis).
>>
>>52677578
Make me (You can't)
>>
>>52677548
As a DM I'm not sure I'd allow multiple ability bonuses on the same spell. The ability itself implies it is once per spell since it says damage roll, not damage rolls.
>>
>>52677468
in Warhammer this is heresy
>>
File: report now.jpg (13KB, 324x84px) Image search: [Google]
report now.jpg
13KB, 324x84px
>>52677594
>>
>>52677602
You only make one damage roll with magic missile. Its then applied to all the missiles. That's the whole caveat to it.
>>
>>52677602
Magic Missile has been specifically stated to apply it to all of them. The main reason for it is so Empowered Evocation's good and stopping it would be a huge nerf.
>>
Choose two

Resistance
Sacred Flame
Spare the Dying
Thaumaturgy
>>
>>52677532
Not today, two-of-a-kind man.
>>
>>52677620
Sacred Flame
Thaumaturgy
>>
>>52677615
Sadly, your or my opinion on what is and is not shitposting is not a requirement behind valid reports. If that were the case, this board would probably be cut in half.

As for the "can you roll Int to have your character solve a puzzle for you" argument, I'm personally opposed.

It's kind of the same thing as saying "I want to roll my Int to have my wizard determine the best courses of action to take in this combat encounter. He's super smart so he wouldn't lose this fight even if I might by picking bad choices."
>>
Rolled 2, 1 = 3 (2d4)

>>52677620
Lady luck bless me with your kiss.
>>
>>52677538
playing one right now.
taking firespells can help alot.
at lv 6 has cool AF ability.
>>
>>52677616
Where does it say that? Not in the PHB
>>52677619
Magic missile hasn't been specifically stated in official text to do so to my knowledge. It may have been referenced by a designer on twitter but allowing twitter retconning is up to the DM. Seems pretty obvious Magic Missile breaks a lot of things in the game
>>
>>52677648
Someone admitting they are shitposting and refusing to stop certainly deserves a report.

>>52677654
Not bad.
>>
>>52677620
If you are level 5+ and/or your physical stats are shit, Sacred Flame is a necessity. Any of the others are fine. Guidance is stronger than Resistance more often than not.
>>
>>52677681
Crawford and Mearls clarified this a million times over twitter, and that is not "Twitter retconning" unless you're a hardcore RAW autist and refuse all future errata and revisions. RAI > RAW

>>52677684
You claiming someone else is shitposting and them cheekily rebuking you for it is not deserving of a report.
>>
Whats the best dnd podcast.
>>
>>52677620
Spare the Dying
Thaumaturgy
>>
>>52677681

"You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4+1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously and you can direct them to hit one creature or several."

Seems iffy on weather the missiles all do the same damage or you roll individually. Which is why they stated that it's meant to all be the same damage.

The only thing it's broken with is Twilight Druid and that's because it need to be fixed. Nothing else about it is broken.

Also if you don't follow any errata then a Sorcerer becomes brutal because they can twin Scorching Ray and deal +5 on all the hits.
>>
>>52677648
Your example sounds like a perfectly reasonable request. I probably wouldn't even ask for a roll and just give some basic blanket statements. If I was a good DM I would have already told the party vital knowledge of the creatures that they were fighting/the environment/whatever as their characters would be more familair with it than they would be.

>>52677681
Clariified by Crawford, official rules guy that that's how MM works. (and at the very least how it was intended). He's also gone on record as saying it doesn't really matter either way and it wouldn't break/whatever anything to rule otherwise.

>>52677730
One I haven't heard yet, although I suspect such subjective things as "best podcast" would vary greatly between us.
>>
>>52677725
But it is. MM wasn't intended to be an unblockable damage spike. It was intended to be sure damage. As noted you can essentially force any caster out of concentration with a 1st level spell which is obviously broken and you can do a nuclear druid which is also obviously broken.
>>
>>52677681
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557820938402947072

I feel like the people that dont view it as being insanely strong just don't realize how strong it can get.
>>
File: Dragonborn_-_William_O'Connor.jpg (105KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dragonborn_-_William_O'Connor.jpg
105KB, 640x400px
Question! If a Dragonborn PC had been kicked out of his/her clan, would he/she still use that clan's name? What if the exile wasn't necessarily permanent, and the Dragonborn PC had a chance to get back in once they proved themselves worthy?
>>
>>52677744

The "strike simultaneously" line is their justification for being one damage roll.
>>
File: Magic Missile one roll.jpg (586KB, 1322x890px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Missile one roll.jpg
586KB, 1322x890px
>>52677681
It's a clarification, not a retcon.
Page 196 in the PHB clearly says that if a spell damages everything at once, it's one damage roll. Magic Missile happens at the same time, so it's one damage roll.
>>
>>52677754
They lie to themselves
>>
>>52677757
Make the call yourself. How would anyone on /5eg/ know the answer to such a question?
>>
>>52677754
Nothing like 18+3d4 automatic damage for a level 1 spell slot. Evoker has never gotten enough credit for it's damage output at high levels.
>>
>>52677761
This is more helpful than the Twitter stuff. Still seems broken. Guess I'd have to balance it by making the party fight an evo wizard spamming magic missle
>>
>>52677751
I agree that Nuke Druid is broken but is also UA and thus shit.

As for forcing casters out of concentration with a 1st level spell, I think that's not broken at all. It takes a spell slot to do it, and an anti-caster caster would obviously be paranoid to always have a slot wasted with MM.

It's like saying Counterspell is broken. It has a very specific purpose. It's part of the Rock Paper Scissors with wizards.

>Curses, foiled by Magic Missile yet again!
>If only there was some kind of Shield spell!
>>
>>52677788
I just meant in general, but if it's not really something that's been established, I'll just make up my own thing.
>>
>>52677757
Up to the Dragonborn.

Some may consider this a temporary situation and still carry it.
Others may drop it, feeling they need to earn it back.
Some may carry it bitterly, as an insult to their old clan with their actions.
Others may drop because they don't want the clan to receive the glory of their actions, even beginning a new dynasty and clan in time.
>>
>>52677757
If you're asking us to be your GM, I'd say that the dragonborn could make that choice, but any other dragonborn finding out about it would be slightly disgusted that he chose to do so.
>>
>>52677795
It's the only good thing an Evoker can do and they do it very well. They deserve to have that at least.
>>
>>52677801
Shield is Wiz/Sorc only so all other casters are fucked for their concentration spells
>>
>>52677790
I mean, I feel like the crazy person sitting listening to all these people complain how broken Wizards are while ignoring shit like this that's right in front of everyone's faces. I feel fucking bad for martial classes that face enemies like this. At least those old Missile Storm spells were random.

And to think they had to release a fucking errata to prevent Elemental Affinity from affecting Scorching Ray 3 times rather than twice since it was "too strong"
>>
>>52677828
Aren't wizards already pretty OP by default?
>>
>>52677757
Depends why.

>The elders are old and stuffy fags who disagree with your opinions on the way things should be done and kick you out
>You consider yourself the REAL Paladine clanner and these guys are just shit and strayed from the true path
Keeping the name

vs

>You think Paladine is a dick and sacrificed some babies and want to be the evil cool Tiamat guy now
>get kicked out
>Pfft screw those guys anyways
Fuck the name
>>
>>52677828
They still have access to every single other Wizard spell too though.
>>
>>52677830
Fuck other casters for not being Wizards.

The company isn't called Druids of the Coast, or Clerics of the Coast.
>>
What's the best class to play if I want to cleanly rip a child's head clean off?
>>
>>52677861
Bards are better.
>>
>>52677837
Personally I allow Dragon Sorcerers to ignore that because they should be a good blaster.

>>52677844
Less then you'd think. Most people screaming Wizards are OP are only thinking about Diviners and Loremasters. They're not even the best class in the game and there's nothing to say they are other then "lol I just fly away" and all casters can escape somehow..
>>
>>52677875
Yes, but why?

>Bards are better because they have access to the Wizard spell list now!

Ah, I see.
>>
>>52677861
I like the term "Sorcerers of the plains"
>>
>>52677891
Yep, along with other good stuff too that wizards don't get. Versatility is powerful, and they are better at that.
Tier 1 class, best in the system currently.
>>
>>52677837
But scorching ray requires an attack role and Magic Missile doesn't. Seems like their jist pulling shit out of their ass
>>
>>52677869
If you mean cleanly rip as in easily with your bare hands, only a Monk has access to unarmed strike damage. Technically you could do it with a Shifter Barbarian or another race that gives you a natural attack as well.

If you mean cleanly as in a totally smooth flush neck stump with no signs of tearing/ripping, this gets pretty difficult really. I think it'd definitely need to involve magic or a Razorclaw shifter at that point.
>>
>>52677861
Wizards get btfo'd by Monks.

>>52677891
Plus actual good class features and every good spell in the game. Wizards can't heal, spike growth or heat metal.

Give me one reason that Wizard's better other then Diviner.
>>
>>52677909
Theurge > Lore Bard > Wizard

Lore Bard is just "Bard + wizard bonuses"
Theurge is just "Wizard + cleric bonuses"

etc

You can add wizard to anything or anything to wizard if you want to be top dog. It doesn't make wizards any less OP - it just proves that they are 50% of the recipe for being #1.
>>
>>52677751
You clearly are equipped with greater insight into the intent of the game's design than those that designed the game. and you have those same designers' blessings to fix it however you please in your game I dont understand why you are so upset

>>52677869
None of them please do not do that Literally any of them that's not a character concept anyone has the power to Kill
>>
File: hothead.jpg (13KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
hothead.jpg
13KB, 250x250px
>>52677917
>Wizards get btfo'd by Monks

Hahahahaha

ahahahah

hahaha
>>
>>52677880
>School of Divination: Expert Divination
Beginning at 6th level, casting divination spells comes so easily to you that it expends only a fraction of your spellcasting efforts. When you cast a divination spell of 2nd level or higher using a spell slot, you regain one expended spell slot. The slot you regain must be of a level lower than the spell you cast and can't be higher than 5th level.

This can't be real. This sounds like Homebrewed bullshit. This is the stuff we make fun of on dandwiki
>>
>>52677847
Don't forget
>The Elders are wise and just, and they judged that you brought dishonor onto the clan
>although you feel that you performed the best possible actions at the time, you recognize that it may not have cast your people in the best light
Eschew the name, at least until you can bring glory to it

>Though the elders are wise, their hand is forced by tradition
>Your actions were just and good, but simply not in keeping with the letter of the law
Keeping the name unofficially

Remember that alignments have two axes.
>>
>>52677869
The dick class.
>>
>>52677928
Funny that bards are better wizards than wizards.
>>
>>52677933
I'm not upset. I'm merely having a discussion. I already said multiple times I'd houserule some stuff. I houserule that sorcerers get the wizars list and can sometimes decide to learn a spell as a different element so they aren't as limited by their element choice
>>
>>52677928
So the only way Wizards are better is with unoffical content that isn't even published and hasn't undergone heft review?

And once again Wizards get good spells like Forcecage and Counterspell which is great. Except a Bard gets them ontop of a bunch of even better spells a Wizard doesn't get.
>>
>>52677949
>Cast a divination spell you have as a signature spell
>Get F R E E spell slots

But, I mean, just, what, just, how?
>>
>>52677972
Diviner is published.

What are the really good spells bards get? Haven't played one.
>>
>>52677949
It sounds too good to be true. Now look at the Divination spells.
The ability is fine.
>>
>>52678003
It says when using a spell slot so no dice there.
>>
>>52678003
Read both abilities again.
>>
>>52678006
All right, fine, you're right
>>52678017
>>52678025
oops
>>
>>52678004
Healing spells, dissonate whispers, heat metal and a series of choices where they can pick any spell they want.

Wizards are very good and a Diviner is probably about equal to a Bard even though their ability is twice per long rest and not always going to be useful if you roll an average number. 9 times outta 10 a Bard will be better though..
>>
>>52678004
Healing Word, Heat Metal, 3rd+ level Ranger and Paladin spells.
>>
File: oldtimey.jpg (60KB, 400x575px) Image search: [Google]
oldtimey.jpg
60KB, 400x575px
Hey /5eg/ I'm trying to make a pugilist gnome and I'm wondering if you could help me with one of the details.

If a gnome that is 3'10" had this kind of build, how much would they weigh? Player's Handbook says gnomes are about 40-45 pounds but I'm not sure how much to compensate for the added muscle. I want him heavy but not absurdly dense.
>>
>>52678060
Gnomes and Halflings *are* absurdly dense.
>>
>>52677744

You can only twin Scorching Ray if all 3 rays hit the same target, and the twinned spell can't hit the same guy the original one did. You can't just use Twinned spell to hit one guy with 6 rays.

Also each ray is a separate attack, good luck hitting all of them. It's not guaranteed like Magic Missile.
>>
Wizards: Spell utility. They have arcane recovery, the widest range of spells to choose from and some good spells at that. They also have some strong utility such as portent to gaurantee an enemy fails a save. Can cast all the rituals they get without preparing it.
Bard: Skill utility. They have great skills, but also good spellcasting. Also some extra support through things such as cutting words. Can make use of some spells that're otherwise hard to use / arrive late such as quick quiver, aura of vitality or elemental weapon.
Druid: Tanky and utility. The druid spell list includes some interesting spells the other two don't ordinarily get, but they can onion around to tank when needed.

In conclusion: Get one of each, faggot.
>>
>>52678126
You can't twin Scorching Ray because it has the capability of targeting more than one enemy.
>>
>>52678060
That sounds stupid, choosing a heavily conflicting race with a homebrew class. Would be better playing a barbarian5/rogue15.

But I guess some people like goofy.

Add 25% or so extra weight because even if it's too much they might as well have some weight if they're going to be some sort of midget that kills giants by punching them.
>>
>>52678126
It scales with level so being able to throw out that many attacks if you have a way to gain advantage on at least one target is amazing.

12d8+30 for a twinned 2nd level spell is just too good. I don't think you should've been able to twin it and it's good that they errataed that out but Dragon Sorcerer should be able to apply the +5 on each ray.
>>
>>52678164
I'm guessing it's just a refluffed monk
>>
>>52678164
>homebrew class

It's actually just a monk but I'm eschewing all the religious aspects to just make it a fantastic travelling fistfighter. Instead of "ki" he's able to accomplish his feats through "rowdiness."
>>
what's a good stone sorcerer build?

what's a good mystic build?
>>
>>52678266
You might as well play a barbarian with a level of monk and attack only with fists. It plays just about the same as a pugilist, and really you don't need those religious aspects and all that to play a monk anyway. You can easily refluff.

And really, pugilist tries to take on the role of a barbarian but a barbarogue does it better.
>>
I just rolled my stats
7, 10, 11, 11, 11, 12
What race/class do I take to not be literally useless?
>>
>>52678052
Heat Metal is trash against actual CR level threats.
>>
>>52678294
fighter for the ASIs
>>
>>52678294
Moon druid.

Also
>rolling for stats
>>
>>52678114

Are you telling me Halfling breasts feel like bags of sand?
>>
>>52678294
Druid (shapeshifting into crap and using their stats)
Fighter (ASIs, ASIs everywhere)
Paladin (blow the slots on Smites, who needs stats to spells)
>>
>>52678297
>Heat metal is trash against actual CR level threats
>Against armoured target, deals 2d8 every round if not upcast and gives them disadvantage on attacks. If you run away after casting, you can reliably deal 22d8 damage as a level 2 spell, or more at higher levels
>Against a sword-bearing target, deals 2d8 and disarms them resulting in them doing barely any damage if they don't have any alternative weapon

Heat metal is really good, but situational. You can call it trash for being situational, but otherwise I don't get it.
>>
>>52678294
with those stats you can't even wear heavy armor iirc, just reroll. don't even bother with that piece of shit.
>>
>>52678294
Firbolg Moon Druid.
>>
>>52678293
I mean, what would he gain out of going barbarian with a dip on monk rather than just going monk and refluffing everything like he wanted? If he's going to rely on unarmed there's no way anything is going to come close. Even if he went barbarogue with tavern brawler that leaves him fuck all damage for unarmed
>>
Is the Artificer class actually any good? I want to get the Thunder Cannon, but I'm not sure if I should stick with the class or switch to a rogue or something.
>>
>>52676377
Polymorph is a concentration spell. The Druids best spells are all concentration spells. Entangle, Faerie Fire, Flaming Sphere, Moonbeam, Conjure Animals, Conjure Minor Elementals, Conjure Woodland Beings, Conjure Elemental, Conjure Fey, etc.

You'd be Polymorphing an ally, then casting sub par spells.
>>
>>52678329
>most CR enemies are not armored or holding swords because they're fucking dragons or undead

Situational =/= versatile.

It's trash. And you can still make a Con check to hold onto the sword.
>>
File: vPfpuHJ.png (1MB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
vPfpuHJ.png
1MB, 1000x800px
>>52676427
Too many idiot players or DMs who don't read or can't understand the Assassinate ability and surprise. Assassination requires some tactical planning to pull off.
>>
>>52678522
Druids should prepare it if they know they've got a good chance of fighting anything wearing any metal on it's armour.

Of course it's worthless otherwise.
>>
>>52676813
In addition to this, have someone help you. All out of combat ability checks should be made with both Guidance and Advantage.
>>
>>52678554
This is wrong, the Orc wouldn't be able to perception in his first round of combat in Scenery A on Krusk's turn, since that would require the Search action and since he was surprised he couldn't take the Search action on his turn.
>>
>>52677144
Blasty casters underperform Martials in 5e. When Archer Battlemaster and Assassin use poison, they can easily triple even a Sorclock's damage.
>>
>>52678632
If it's contesting against his passive perception, it's not wrong.
>>
>>52678658
Fair enough, I can see that now. Still some people seem to forget that perception works that way.
>>
If I'm not a sorcerer and I cast a spell with, let's say both verbal and somatic components, is there anything I can do to make it less obvious? Like, whisper the verbal parts, forcing enemies to make a perception roll to hear it, and make a sleight of hand roll to attempt to hide the somatic part?
>>
>>52678681
Literally the Subtle Spell metamagic, which eliminates Somatic and Verbal components.
>>
>>52678681
A lenient DM might let you make a stealth check, but there's nothing RAW.
>>
>>52678700

yeah I just said "if I'm not a sorcerer". I know subtle metamagic eliminates verbal and somatic components; I'm asking if it's possible for someone without subtle metamagic to attempt to conceal or make these components less obvious.
>>
>>52678554
Where is the reference that says a creature loses it's 'surprised' state after it's turn?
>>
>>52678749
Man, that's the second time in a row I completely misread something. I ought to shove off to sleep.
But yes, I thought you said if you were a sorcerer instead of if you're not.
Like the other guy said, it's up to the GM. Nothing raw for it though.
>>
>>52678749
>Is it possible for me to replicate the effects of a class specific metamagic feature by talking quietly and hiding my hands in my shorts?

No. Fucking stupid.
>>
>>52678455
>What would he gain
Being tankier, at least. Your damage would actually be more than the monk, but the deal is the monk does fuckall damage anyway. And you won't get stunning strike.

Barbarogue is less for unarmed, though if you want to do grappling while wearing a shield you could be a super tanky guy who does piss all for damage and focuses on just shoving people around.

If you approach it with the sole idea of 'I want to do unarmed combat, but not be a monk' then refluffing monk is probably the best way.
>>
>>52678681
Like >>52678729 said, DM could have you make a stealth or sleight of hand check depending on the circumstances and spell. I'd personally allow stuff like this at long as actual effort goes into it, like checking your makeup for the friends cantrip, etc.
>>
>>52678554
>The orc isn't anymore surprised with your attack
>Because he isn't surprised anymore, he had the reaction to try to attack you

lol what

That is absolutely not how it works.
>>
>>52678784
>>52678729

Sounds like something trickster clerics and arcane tricksters should be able to attempt at the very least. I feel like there are plenty of scenarios where casting a spell without making it obvious would be desirable for a sneaky spellcaster type.
>>
>>52678816
Under the RAW he can react after his turn but also RAW doesn't state he loses being suprised so the PCs attack should still crit
>>
>>52678750
>>52678816
That's exactly how it works. PHB189.
>>
File: Untitled.png (26KB, 500x298px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
26KB, 500x298px
>>52678750
>>52678830
>>
>>52678522
And if you keep holding the sword, you keep doing con saves and taking damage.

At no point was it implies that situational means versatile.

But in any case, really, if you had a spell that instantly kills any target thats name begins with 'b' it would be a damn good spell because if you're not facing a monster of 'b' then you just don't use it. Bards can afford to have a couple of situational spells.
>>
>>52678799
>replicate the effects of a class specific metamagic feature

It doesn't though.The metamagic makes it impossible for anyone to see you casting the spell. Trying to mask your movements and talk quietly would just require an opposed roll.

You might as well say that a fighter's ability to buy gunpowder and a match renders the wizard's fireball useless.
>>
>>52677522
Let's see. 10th level Evoker with Empowered Evocation. Casts Magic Missile with a 5th level spell slot. Does 1d4+6 damage each for five missiles. 8.5*5=42.5 force damage. Shoots firebolts for 1d10+5 for the next three turns. Hits half the time for 5.25*3=15.75.
In four turns the Evoker has done 58.25 damage.

Meanwhile, Diviner casts Animate Object with 5th level spell slot. Animates 10 arrows. They hit half the time for 1d4+4 damage or 6.5*5=32.5 damage per turn. Diviner also casts firebolts for the next three turns, doing 1d10 damage hitting half the time. 5.5*3*.5=8.25*3=24.75. The Diviner has done 154.75 damage in four turns, tripling the Evokers output.
>>
>>52678837
Again, not RAW. Retconning to nerf an already weak class isn't useful
>>
>>52678554
While this is factually true...
>A situation where they walk up with a dagger

It works a lot worse when it's a rogue trying to fire a weapon from a distance. How do they 'trying to figure out what is happening' when you aren't even approaching them or doing shit?
>>
I'm fairly new to the game, and I'm not really sure if this is even the place to ask, but I'm going to anyway because I'm stuck. If I'm in the wrong place I apologize in advance. How do I do cantrips on my character sheet? Can anyone pick cantrips or just "magic" classes? I'm a level one 10 INT/10 WIS Half-Orc Barbarian and I just want to use thaumaturgy. Can I just add it to my list, or at least learn it down the line? My C Level, Spell Attack, and Spell DC are 0, +2, and 10 respectively.
>>
>>52678554
Why is the initiative different on the second turn?
>>
>>52678831
PHB 189 does not say you lose the surprise condition after your turn in combat
>>
>>52677530
Sorry that's wrong. My math was off. Diviner does 138.25 damage. Or nearly 2.5 times the Evokers output.
>>
>>52678830
>>52678858
There is no surprised condition, so you can assume it ends when it no longer applies, i.e. they have lost their movement and action and regained their reaction.

Nothing says surprise lasts for one round.
>>
>>52678831
>The DM determines who might be surprised. If
>neither side tries to be stealthy, they automatically notice
>each other. Otherwise, the DM compares the Dexterity
>(Stealth) checks of anyone hiding with the passive
>Wisdom (Perception) score of each creature on the
>opposing side. Any character or monster that doesn't
>notice a threat is surprised at the start of the encounter.
>If you're surprised, you can't move or take an action
>on your first turn of the combat, and you can't take a
>reaction until that turn ends. A member of a group can
>be surprised even if the other members aren't.

Where does it say you stop being surprised from an attack?

And I assume that "until that turn ends" should mean that round, since not being able to use reactions on your own turn is largely irrelevant. Though I grant that's not what it says.
>>
>>52678873

You get cantrips by being a class that learns cantrips (ie not barbarian) or taking a feat that grants cantrips
>>
>>52678888
What?
>>
File: 1491410723867.jpg (122KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1491410723867.jpg
122KB, 768x1024px
I have a player who has character ADD or something. He has never played a single character more than two sessions without wanting to change or coming at me with another character idea he has. He's been doing this for two years. I've tried giving him compelling plot points and quests relevant to his character's background, but he still never really connects with them.

I've considered maybe making him a different mercenary each week that the other group members hire out to help on adventures. Any other suggestions beyond telling him to stop being a faggot?
>>
>>52678858
>>52678880
Mike Mearls has said that RAW it ends at the end of the turn. If you want to ignore that go ahead but you should assume a game you turn up to will follow the RAW rules.
>>
>>52678863
Read the rules for gaining g surprise, it's a Stealth vs passive perception. At range you'd have advantage I suppose.
>>
>>52678889
Or you can assume it ends when the first round of combat where surprise would matter ends, which makes more sense because they aren't able to defend themselves as well.
>>
>>52678890
The picture is worded poorly so that may be where the misunderstanding is coming from, but the RAW is pretty clear. After you finish your turn of surprise you can use reactions for the rest of the round. If it wanted to say round, it would have said round, not turn.

>>52678880
This, however, seems to be true. I'll try to see if I can find anything more on this.
>>
>>52678904
Meant to reply to No.>>52678854
>>
RAW wise, an Assassin gets critical hits for the entire encounter since nothing states a creature ever stops being 'surprised', merely that they can take actions and reactions after their first turn.

The surprise rules are not well written.
>>
>>52678880
Surprise is not a condition in 5e.
>>
>>52678914
Those aren't the RAW unless you don't understand basic english. I don't really care what Mearls says unless it makes the game fun because outside of that his opinion holds no weight. RAW does not say an Assassin cannot crit due to a bad initiative roll and that is how it should be, just because Mearl is a dumbass doesn't mean you need to nerf a weak class.
>>
>>52678961

>>52678837 Official ruling says your wrong. Ignoring errata and rulings doesn't give you an argument that something's RAW.
>>
>>52678981

...do you even know what RAW stands for?
>>
>>52678906
Make it your goal each and every session to get his character killed or arrested.
>>
>>52678849
NPCs/monsters are notoriously bad at opposing rolls to the point where you stand to lose NOTHING by attempting to replicate the metamagic, for free.

If you could do it, why wouldn't you? Oh no, I failed - nothing worse happens than if I just cast the spell regularly.
>>
>>52678976
status, whatever you want to call it, the point stands unabated

>>52678981
I don't consider a twitter account to be an official source. If they wish to playtest their random rulings then so be it but them spouting things off the top of their heads doesn't make it official
>>
>>52678837

what a typically useless off-hand comment from Mearls

"end of creature's first turn - roll initiative as normal"

I already rolled initiative as normal. At the start of the encounter. Because surprise doesn't in any way alter the initiative rules.
>>
>>52679022
Stop shitposting.
>>
>>52678895
So if I'm understanding this right, at level 4, 8, 12, 16, or 19, I can opt out of my Ability Score Improvement and gain a feat, of which one is Magic Initiate, and then I gain two cantrips and a first level spell to use permantly? If that's right, then what ability score would I base spells off of? Would I just use int/wis or would I use something else because I'm not magical?
>>
>>52679031
>If that's right, then what ability score would I base spells off of?

Read The Fucking Feat
>>
>>52678998
I doubt he does

>>52679028
Doesn't even know what shitposting is

RAW doesn't say an Assassin can't auto crit even on a nat 1 initiative.
>>
>>52679022
>the guy that literally writes the rules is unofficial when he makes rulings
>>
>>52679038
>Your spellcasting ability for these spells depends on the class you chose. Charisma for bard, sorcerer, or warlock. Wisdom for cleric or druid, or Intelligence for wizard.

I did that's why I'm asking
>>
>>52679073
It doesn't mean the class you chose to make your PC, dumb ass. It means that it's based on the Class you chose to take the Magic Initiate cantrips/spells from.

IE, if your potato fighter took Magic Initiate and took bard spells, the casting is based off Cha. If you took wizard spells, int.
>>
>>52679073

Oh my fucking god. Read it starting from the beginning.
>>
>>52679021
>If you could do it, why wouldn't you? Oh no, I failed - nothing worse happens than if I just cast the spell regularly.

I think if you're in a combat scenario, everyone is alert and paying enough attention that the simple act of moving your lips would be enough for people to tell you're casting a spell. Mid-combat, I think hiding the spell cast should be impossible without the metamagic.

What I'm thinking of, though, are scenarios like where you're at banquet and want to charm someone else at the table, or cause some non-obvious magical effect, without everyone present instantly knowing you cast a spell. I think it should be possible to hide your hands and mutter under your breath, or at least attempt to,and in a scenario like this, the cost of failure could be quite high.

I dunno, it just feels kind overly limiting to me that there are archetypes themed around being "sneaky spellcasters" but they can never cast a spell without everyone noticing.
>>
>>52679072
writing rules and making offhand rulings are separate tasks. One requires testing and deliberation and the other requires drinking a few beers and typing 140 characters on twitter. I generally go RAW unless I want to homebrew and after that I'll take their twitter opinion into account
>>
>>52679031

Or if all you want is Thaumaturgy you can play Infernal Tiefling instead of Half-Orc and get it for free.
>>
RAW indeed does not mention when surprise ends. RAI, it's obviously limited to either the end of the round or the end of the turn. I mean, unless you want automatic crits on every hit even 4 minutes into an encounter.
>>
>>52678895
>>52679038
>>52679087
>>52679116

Thanks for the info, you've been a big help. Sorry I'm retarded or whatever have a nice whatever timezone you're in
>>
>>52679128
That was my point. And since the status itself literally only affects an already weak class you can safely consider it to last the whole round
>>
>>52679073
>>52679091

To be fair, this should be written as "Your spellcasting ability for these spells depends on the spell-list of the class you selected the spells from" to avoid any confusion by retards like this guy.
>>
>>52679100
They can be a sorcerer.
>>
>>52678922
Well, yes, but if you succeed stealth they can still beat you in initiative and deny you both advantage (if you didn't already get advantage from elsewhere, which could not happen if target had some version of alert without the 'cannot be surprised') and crit and avoiding things like monk deflect missiles. Even though you succeeded stealth, he still somehow notices you firing a bolt at him.

>>52678938
That would make sense as an assumption if surprise rounds exist. But they don't, so you can't really assume it lasts an entire round. And, really, if it can use its reaction, why is it still surprised?
>>
>>52678906
tell him to stop being a faggot
>>
>>52679208
If they can't even see their attacker then why are they getting the first turn of combat? We can make all the assumptions we want but it is simply best to interperet the RAW to allow Assassin's to not be completely useless. Do they need to make two successful d20 rolls (stealth and attack) or three (stealth, initiative, attack) simply to get a single crit in an encounter?
>>
File: 72158_280x280.jpg (17KB, 267x280px) Image search: [Google]
72158_280x280.jpg
17KB, 267x280px
>>52678554
>Because he is still surprised, he don't had the reaction to try to attack you.
>he don't had the reaction
Written by an ESL. Literally no point in taking this image seriously when the entire point of rules lawyering is to have a superior understanding of the English language.
>>
>>52679101
>rule clarifications are homebrew
>the Supreme Court writes homebrew
>>
>>52679139
but RAW never says when it ends, so you can't assume it ends unless you aren't going by RAW
>>
So I'm planning to role up a barbarian, the thing is I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of the two paths and wanted some advice. Is there an objectively better choice or is it all pretty much preference and what you want to do?
>>
>>52679426

totem is objectively better than berserker
>>
>>52679426
Totem is better in the majority of situations.

Berserker works well if you don't mind being a little worse for the rest of the day but really good once per long rest. Three raging advantage greatsword attacks can be brutal.

Also the Berserker's level 6 is amazing. Immunity to the two major effects that will take you out the game.

Really it just comes down to flavor on weather you want to be an animal spirit guy or the stereotypical Barbarian.
>>
>>52679426
but none are objectively bad
>>
>>52679436
The ability to tank pretty much any damage is really nice

>>52679493
That's my main hang up, I like some of the totem person but that immunity to charm is really good.

>>52679495
That's how I wish alot of the other classes are
>>
>>52679519
Perks* not person
>>
>>52679519
So just go with what your party needs. Got a paladin? Probably dont need beserker. Got a rogue? Probably wants some invincible barbearian to stay alive
>>
>>52679537
Good point I'll keep that in mind and wait till the others get their characters decided
>>
>>52679519
Literally only Wot4E Monk is bad. Ranger (particularly BM) has been fixed with the Revised version. Everything else is sterling.
>>
File: midkemia_by_helmuttt-d45zubc.jpg (201KB, 792x1008px) Image search: [Google]
midkemia_by_helmuttt-d45zubc.jpg
201KB, 792x1008px
So warlock, right?
>>
Now I'm wondering how I'd make a good Variant Human Berserker.

Obviously I'd take GWM but stat array is a bit tricky. Should I take CON above 14 or leave it for a while and just wear Medium Armour if I plan to focus on damage?
>>
>>52679394
I didn't say assume. I said consider. As the DM I consider it done after the first round of combat.

>>52679379
No one said rules clarification were homebrew. On the other hand if a Supreme Court Judge says something on twitter it holds no official weight
>>
The one thing that Pathfinder has that I wish 5e had are the Daemons. The denizens of Hades being fiends based off of various awful ways to die is an amazing concept.
>>
>>52679651
>implying anyone knows anything about the fluff of fucking pathfinder
whatever fag
>>
>>52679559
Is twinned spell and/or quickened spell really worth picking a Sorcerer over a Wizard? Although I guess my main beef with sorcerer is that the sub classes are mostly elemental when Dragon Sorc can already pick an element to be good at.
>>
>>52679635
Sage Advice, the official rules clarification column, is run through twitter and compiled by WotC. Crawford gives official rulings through Twitter and/or Sage Advice columns depending on length.
>>
Is a Fey Bladelock with the Moonbow any decent? I was thinking of either doing that or Ranger for a character who was blessed by a Fey while young.
>>
>>52679679
You will not be disadvantaged by picking Sorcerer over Wizard. People may think Wizard is better than Sorc, but that doesn't make Sorc a bad option.
>>
>>52679679
Nah, Sorcerer's decent. Some of the subclasses are even good options for if you're just going for powerful character. Shadow in particular is fantastic and works amazing with a Warlock in the party as well.
>>
File: crazed pepe.png (6KB, 221x158px) Image search: [Google]
crazed pepe.png
6KB, 221x158px
>>52679651
>Demons, daemons and devils are all different things

If we're taking evil outsiders from Pathfinder, Asuras and Divs would both be better choices.
>>
File: 1491818909906.gif (498KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1491818909906.gif
498KB, 500x500px
>yfw the wizard in your party is evocation
>>
>>52679685
I know what Sage Advice is. It is as applicable as Unearthed Arcana. You can use it if you wish but it is not RAW because RAW is what is in the core rulebooks
>>
new thread lads >>52679790
>>
>>52679779
Yes yes, and RAW will never change and never be clarified.
At least Water Whip is good again.
>>
>>52679779
>I know what Sage Advice is.
>It is as applicable as Unearthed Arcana.
It's funny how quickly you prove yourself wrong.

Official rulings on how to interpret unclear rules are made in Sage Advice. Only the game's rules manager, Jeremy Crawford (@JeremyECrawford) can make official rulings and usually does so in Sage Advice.

His rulings are RAW.
>>
>>52676368
"Hey let's give people new subclasses to try them out and receive feedback"
"God forbid they even think multiclassing UA, since it's taboo"
Multiclassing is already an optional rule, you should check eith your DM, so it shouldn't be an issue, if it's too OP one (good) DM would just force you to modify it/nerf it etcetera. If you are a muchkin and your DM is spineless then the game was fucked up before multiclassing was taken into consideration.
>>
>>52679817
No, they aren't. You obviously don't know what RAW means
>>
>>52679940
Rules as written. He writes the rules. His words, as he writes them, are the rules. You can't play the literal game with me and win.
>>
>>52679745
You are gonna be happy he is evocation when you don't get killed by his fireball
>>
>>52679996
Well not him but the rules as written generally only include the rules as written in the rulebook and no other rules. "Official rulings" don't work; if they did, RAW would mean the exact same thing as RAI and homebrew, due to Rule Zero being in the book and thus literally every combination of rules and houserules being in the book.
>>
hey /5eg/ I am starting a new campaign and am looking for a few ideas

I ran a campaign a while ago that lasted about a year with the very classic and easy trope of sending the PCs out to find the 7 magical doodads and save the world

for this new one though I would also like to eventually have the players set on a world saving campaign but don't want to use the same trope this time
I also would rather avoid the BBE threatens the world, stop him
at least not to start with

any ideas?
>>
>>52680056
While Rule 0 is in the book and applies to every campaign, your individual homebrews are not in the book, nor do they apply to every campaign.

Sage Advice rulings are for every campaign.
>>
>>52674536
In 3.x, around level 5 is when characters can generally match real world experts in their capabilities/skills.

At what point does that happen in 5e? When does my athletics match Olympic performance? Etc.
>>
I know it's a dead thread:

>>52670891
You've clearly made your decision from "balance" instead of from reading the text. But really, is it balanced to spend an invocation to use a weapon that does less damage than any other you could use and doesn't do anything because you're a warlock and only have two spell slots at a time for half your career? And I thought UA was supposed to be overpowered.

>>52672969
>Gods don't even have to go through captchas.
Oh my god. Such power.

>>52673702
>All I have are my preconceived notions
>And I'm not going to read anything anyone writes.
Ok. That's cleared up then.
>>
Which of the four elementals is most powerful overall?
Thread posts: 411
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.