[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spaceship Names

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: spaceship_cg2.jpg (215KB, 1100x558px) Image search: [Google]
spaceship_cg2.jpg
215KB, 1100x558px
I'm currently mulling over the idea of running a ship based sci-fi game and was hoping you lot could help me come up with a bunch of ships for random encounters.

Just give me the ships name, type (e.g. freighter, research vessel, transport, etc) and affiliation (e.g. Corp, Imperial, independent, pirate), extra details and or pictures welcome.

Background: There is gate based FTL connecting a large unified interstellar empire together. The setting is a recently opened frontier area was isolated when the single gate connecting back to the main empire has mysteriously stopped working almost a century ago. There's one main 'civilized' world that is still loyal to the empire but mostly keeps to themselves, lots of factions that are/evolved from old megacorps, and of course numerous independent factions that have cropped up since the severing.

The sci-fi is pretty soft, intelligent aliens are not present. Any contributions, welcome have fun.
>>
>>52658144
When it comes to naming ships there's several guidelines to consider:

1. If you're looking for minute detail, then ships will have classifications. While all smaller ships such as fighters, frigates, light-destroyers and light-cruisers will be, for all intents and purposes, be the same. This is especially true of organized forces.
>e.g. the Venator-class star cruiser of Star Wars, the Stormhawk-pattern gunship of WH40k, the Stalwart-class light frigate of Halo

Larger ships are given the same designations but it generally refers to a production run and displacement of tonnage. This is because the larger ships tend to be more unique, be it different weapon emplacements, unique suites or technologies, or different forms of propulsion.
>e.g. the Emperor-class battleship of WH40K and the Nimitz-class carriers of real life

The largest ships are often unique, singular constructions and are only given designations out of convention.
>e.g. the Eclipse of Star Wars was technically of the Eclipse-class super dreadnaught

Also can someone post this poor anon the massive ship collage picture, I don't have it
>>
>>52658976
2. The actual naming of ships, while unique, do tend to follow a motif. Small ships especially fighters, dropships, and some transports only gets names if they are piloted by a civilian or an exceptional member of its respective force. In Halo, UNSC ships often get named after important parts of war, colloquialism or adjective descriptions.
>the destroyer Iriquois, the stealth ship Point of No Return, the frigate In Amber Clad

The U.S. military had/has a habit of naming their ships after large or important cities.
>the battleship USS Indianapolis or the carrier USS Saratoga

Other universes tend towards a more generalized naming convention, usually in some slight reference to the ideologies or mannerisms.
>e.g. The Phalanx, the chapter fortress of the Imperial Fists in WH40K
>e.g. the Destiny-Ascension dreadnaught of the asari from ME
>e.g. Slave 1 from Star Wars

Really it depends on how creative you feel like getting. Ship names are a really deep facet to worldbuilding.
>>
>>52659272
In Amber Clad, anon. A lot of the UNSC ships seem to be named as parts of quotes.
>>
>>52659272
As for your setting, I could provide some actual ideas but I'm wary since I really enjoy it, you know give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

For the single loyal world you could have something like
>the Shield of Indica, a Preatoria-class destroyer: formerly named only the 13th due to her position coming out of the shipyards. She was considered an unlucky duty-station until she was the last functioning ship at the Battle of Indica, claiming a whopping four confirmed kills.

Your mega-corp descendants offer much more in the way of creative leeway.
>Rapier, a Hive-class carrier of the Bastion Defence Alliance strikes fear in those that would seek to attack the worlds of the BDA. Its renowned wing of Fer-de-Lance fighters of the 17th Legion have cracked the shields and keels of many ships. After the Vargian Gulf Battles, the mere stationing of the Rapier above a world was more than enough to dissuade would-be assailants.
>in a rare show of altruism, the Technocracy positioned one of its three pristine research barges, the Message In A Bottle, in orbit around the non-functioning gate in order to further the effort of restoring it.

I hope that helps. And please, please post some of your ideas! /tg/ loves shit like that
>>
>>52658976
>>52659272
>>52659684
OP here thanks for the input. The ideas for this game/universe are still very early days and I was hoping for some inspiration from this thread.
I was thinking the loyalists, who's home world originally having the inglorious name of Outpost Epsilon-9 and has since been renamned The Bastion, tend towards small numbers of very large Carrier type warships supported by large numbers of small fighters and bombers. The carriers tend to have grandiose titles often referencing loyalty or dedication (think 40K style naming), with the small craft being named by their pilots after they have completed at least one combat mission.
As for combat though the Loyalists mostly stick to their own world and its associated in solar system industrial outposts, they also patrol major trade routes and will provided military support to anyone willing to pay them tithes and (officially) follow military law.
Outside of their sphere of control there are a large number of planets at various levels of terraformed/settled most of which have declared some level of independence from the old Empire (pioneer spirit and all that), additionally there are many space based settlements (where most of the corps were based) built around resources such as nebulas and asteroid belts as well as a smattering of old research stations.

For clarification there are two kind of gates; Heavy gates - truly titanic structures capable of linking with any other heavy gate, there is only one known heavy gate in this system and it's the thing that's stopped working for no discernible reason. Paired gate - much smaller though still able to pass even the largest ships, these gates as the name suggest come in pairs which can only transfer between themselves, many of these paired gates tie the system together. Also somewhere out there are the original automated gate-making vessels that were launched from empire space centuries age and originally built the gate network.
>>
I am actually playing Edge of the Empire AS I TYPE and the party has a E-9 Loronar that is called The Noble Bedlam.
>>
>>52658144
Super easy name generation: Companies name their ships on things related to their trade.

Eg, "Sigma Mining Corp", named after metals, alloys, ores

Iron Sigma
Silver Sigma
Gold Sigma
Cobalt Sigma
etc
Magnox Sigma
Billon Sigma
Tombac Sigma
Invar Sigma
etc
Beyrl Sigma
Cinnibar Sigma
Malachite Sigma
etc
>>
The Panic!
>>
Even if a ship doesn't have an official name, the crew will likely give it a name to refer to it in casual talk, affectionately or ironically, or out of spite

A ship that takes constant maintence but is reliable called the 'bucket of bolts'
A ship where navel officers are sent to retire 'the do-nothing'
A ship that is in constant planetary defense 'old watch dog'
a single ship which is a smaller class in a fleet 'the runt'
>>
>>52658144

personally, I use ship names to give examples of the language spoken by people when you turn off the universal translator, generally with a prefix based on the letter count to denote the rough size or model followed by the ships personal name.

a simple example.

Vra Toklaz
Vra Shreni
Ghol Yasrhi
Ghol Ebdrin
Kerza Prjentol
Kerza Hoqinbo

makes you have to actively investigate to find out what the hell is going on.
>>
>>52658144
In b4 the same 10 "hilarious" names are spammed for the 10,00th time.
>>
>>52665858
"She's one of ours sir and I'm not just making that same old joke"
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.