[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 439
Thread images: 52

File: 1469189394778.jpg (189KB, 920x920px) Image search: [Google]
1469189394778.jpg
189KB, 920x920px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Downtime
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_Downtime.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/db43d70dde08

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/
>>52646185
>>
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (158KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (4).jpg
158KB, 1600x900px
Have you ever run or played in a campaign with mounts that werent horses/druids? How did it go?

I find it odd that the monster manual has so many mount options but i cant really see them as remotely balanced to say nothing of the usual problem mount focused characters have
>>
>>52651269
My druid ride a raven familiar. Does that count?
>>
PSA: surprise round doesn't exist in 5e!
>>
>>52651353
But it should.
>>
>>52651269
i haven't played a campaign with mounts at all, i run one with camels as mounts but they were obviously just crossing a desert so it was a sensible decision and not really what you want to know.
>>
Sup /TG/.

I'm starting a Curse of Strahd campaign with a DM and two players in addition to myself. I'm the most experienced of the players, and want to do my best to carry them in combat, so I'm going to play a Barbarian. I'd like some help optimizing, so I came to you for help.

We are starting at Level 3, but plan on taking the campaign to 20 after we finish Strahd. The other party members are a Rogue and a Cleric.

We are being given 300 gold and 1 Uncommon Magical Item to start with. The DM is open to me using my 300 gold on additional uncommon magical items, with the understanding that uncommon items cost between 101-500 GP and I won't be able to buy just anything.

Here are the stats I rolled:
14, 12, 12, 12, 11, 9

I'm planning on taking Variant Human so that I can start with Polearm Master and play Tank/Control. Maybe also taking Sentinel at level 4, or Great Weapon Fighting for more damage.

Thoughts on how I can make my build stronger? I'm thinking of taking Gauntlets of Ogre Power to make up for my low rolls so that I can bump my Strength, and/or Amulet of Health.

Any thoughts or feedback to help me carry the team? I'm open to other magical items or suggestions on how I can protect the team, I'm probably going to be taking the brunt of combat with the cleric healing me religiously.
>>
>>52651366
>implying you don't home rule it in already

Hell even some Adventurer's League DMs do that
>>
>>52651353
Yes it does, you missing a section of your PHB?
>>
>>52651249
>Of course, again, it doesn't say that going invisible is 6 seconds
There's your answer. It's bullshit to say if something goes invisible you can still hit them as they're "fading away", because that makes invisibility even shittier that it is.
>>
Can we expect to see epic levels one day? Or has that been scrapped for this edition?
>>
>>52651578
AL has a few epic level adventures
>>
>>52651563
I love it when people don't know the rules and act like they do.
>>
>>52651636
It's a surprised state right
>>
>>52651353
Is this the next level of trolling?
>>
>>52651231
>crafting 9th level spell scroll
>costs 250,000 GP
>sells for 25,000-150,000 GP
Sounds legit.

>>52651563
Surprised creatures don't act on the first round of combat, but there isn't an additional "surprise round."
>>
>>52651578
Hopefully, not. 10-20 levels barely see the light already, epic levels will be dead just like in 3.5 times
>>
>>52651491
I'm so tired of reading min/maxer builds.
>>
>>52651706
They don't act on their first turn, not the entire round.
>>
>>52651491
You're already being too much of a munchkin. You don't need any more help.

Amulet of Health is rare for the record.
>>
>>52651693
No. So many people get the rule wrong (because they don't actually read PHB), so we better spread the right ruling around.
>>
>>52651491
>Curse of Strahd
>Giving players shit ton of gold and ability to just buy magic items
Your DM is a hack.
>>
>>52651563
Read the rule again or go back to /pfg/.
>>
Why does Wizards hate Plate Armor /tg/?

Played in Out of the Abyss. Couldn't upgrade armor past Chain until we left the Underdark at level 8 (We didn't go to Duergar land so maybe I missed something there?).

Played in Curse of Strahd. There is one set of lootable plate armor in Barovia.

It's in a coffin in the room we fucking fought Strahd in.

Played in Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

Broke Villagers aint got no goddamn plate.

why wizards.

why.
>>
Why would a Mystic have Magic Initiate?
>>
>>52651889
There's like, five plates in Death House.

Also, the Vistani are master smiths, read the splatbooks, casual
>>
>>52651910
Because they dabbled in learning magic before they awakened their mystic powers.
Because they pretended they didn't have mystic powers and learned a few things through an apprenticeship
Because they grew up around people with magical powers and learned a few things

Same reasons a sorcerer could have magic initiate really.
>>
>>52651889
You're only supposed to get plate armor in the second tier of play, somewhere between 5th and 10th level. So 8th level sounds alright. HotDQ has two sets of lootable plate armor by level 6 or so. Don't know about CoS, maybe there should be some blacksmith one a couple sets, or you might have to get creative with how you acquire it...
>>
>>52651937
>There's like, five plates in Death House.
NO, PLEASE. Let us not bring that meme back.
>>
>>52651937

We started at L3, skipped Death House.

Why would I read the book my DM is running?

>>52651964

Huh, I mussed have missed the HotDQ ones.
>>
-How to Play a Warlock Effectively-
1. Take Eldritch Blast and Agonizing Blast. It's good to always have as a fall back, but don't use it every round. Spamming Eldritch Blast is sub-optimal.
2. Take spells and cantrips that allow for varied effects and out-of-combat utility or spells that outshine EB, like scorching ray, Evard's Black Tentacles, or Phantasmal Force. Also, use your reaction for spells that aren't eldritch blast in combat. Hellish Rebuke packs a punch.
3. Take either Pact of Chain or Pact of Tome. Chain tends to be better for shorter low-leveled campaign, and Tome is better for more drawn-out games where you know there will be lot's of time to hunt down scrolls and magical tutors. If you really want to pick Blade, EB becomes less necessary, but pick up Fire Shield, Armor of Agathys, and Hellish Rebuke. You'll be getting hit a lot, but with these spells in your wheelhouse, getting hit in melee becomes a good thing.
4. Play a variant human. You can take warcaster or resilient if you want to be more martially inclined. If you want to take the caster route grab hex as a one/long-rest spell via magic initiate to conserve your spell slots. Hex probably should have been a free class-feature for the warlock anyways, but no use crying over spilled milk, and only being able to cast it once a day is undercut by the fact that it still lasts for an hour and there are so many other concentration spells worth taking.
5. Convince your party to take short-rests after most combats. A good deal of other classes get benefits from short-rests and everyone likes to heal wounds. Short-rests aren't as uncommon as everyone makes them out to be, you just have to motivate the party to take them when you need them.
6. Have fun and don't expect to feel like a wizard or a cleric. You are playing a warlock. Expect to feel like you're playing a warlock. You get less spells and a smaller list, but you can blow your load every fight and be much more cavalier than the other casters.
>>
>>52651575
>It doesn't specifically say that an action happens over the course of their turn, so it must happen instantly!
No.
You're supposed to use common sense. The rules state that you'll still be able to attack only with disadvantage, so that's what the monster's CR is expected to be and you're expected to be able to explain why this happens rather than it automatically hiding, and I've given an explanation why.
If you want it to hide, add in 'When it goes invisible, it also may attempt to hide' and increase its CR.

>Invisibility is shit!
It allows you to hide no matter where you are, it allows you advantage on all attack rolls and enemies disadvantage on all their attack rolls, it renders you immune to 'you must see target' sorts of spells and effects (Which is a LOT of spells) and it means you can do shit without people knowing what you're doing.

Saying that it should also make the creature completely impossible to detect without taking an action to use perception to see it every time is goes invisible is fucking ridiculous. Why don't we all become mages and use invisibility, then?
>>
>>52652015
>It's good to always have as a fall back, but don't use it every round. Spamming Eldritch Blast is sub-optimal.
hahaha
>Using your limited slots in blasting and not utility
>When you have best blasting
HAHAHAH
>>
>>52652015
>Spamming eldritch blast is suboptimal, it's fallback, implies you don't need repelling blast
Still shit/10.
>Magic initiate for hex or warcaster or resilient
Moderately armoured is better.
>>
What's something a cool high elf martial character can do with their free cantrip?
>>
>>52652054
shilelag
>>
>>52652015
-How to Play a Warlock Effectively-
1.Use spell point rules in the DMG
>>
What are some cool Fey style rewards i can give my players? They are level 3.
>>
>>52651491
>trying to minmax this hard, magic items and all
>but rolling for stats
????
dude just kill yourself
>>
>>52652041
>Take spells and cantrips that allow for varied effects and out-of-combat utility

lrn2read
>>
>>52652054
Booming blade / green flame blade (depending on what martial you are)

One of the elemental evil cantrips, mold earth / water / whatever.

Mage hand just for utility instead of a ten-foot-pole.

Minor illusion for whatever you can think of.

Overall it's not very strong, but eh.
>>
>>52651771
You're right.

As a completely unrelated sidenote, why are people so resistant to helping others on the Internet, but so eager to correct? People squabbled for 25 minutes about a rule, unwilling to just state the truth of it, so I came in to clarify, and not 25 minutes but 2 minutes later someone corrects my very brief off-hand remark due to the technical differences between two similar words. You would think if this person cared so much about the accuracy of rule explanations, they would've answered before me without slipping up like I did.

>>52651819
Shots fired at Chris Perkins.
>>
I'm new to 5e and I want to make sure I understand something correctly. Can you cast spells like Vampiric Touch and Inflict Wounds through other spells like the weapon from Spiritual Weapon and the familiar from Find Familiar?
>>
>>52652041
>>When you have best blasting
Best blasting cantrip maybe, not the best blasting spell by a longshot
>>
>>52652003
They're in the Hunting Lodge, right in the hall after the entrance. There's actually 3, now that I checked.

This central hallway has stairs, large wooden doors, and a set of fine plate armor. Flanking the main entrance are two freestanding suits of elven plate armor, both coated in chipped green paint. Man-sized demonic statues stand near the base of the stairs.

>>52652030
You missed my point. Some anon (You?) said that if the creature goes invisible and moves away you should still get an attack of opportunity because "it fades out as it moves away". What I'm saying is that if the creature turned invisible, you CAN'T take an opportunity attack, because that requires you being able to see the target.
>>
>>52652096
A loveable fey hireling that provides minor debuffs in combat but is mostly there for advice/chitchat
>>
>>52652096
Misty Step once per long rest.

A weapon or piece of armor that's abnormally light. Perhap armor that can be worn without proficiency or a non-light/non-finesse weapon that now has one of those properties.

An elf girl (male) bed warmer.
>>
>>52651706
>>sells for 25,000-150,000 GP
>Sounds legit.
That's why you don't sell very rare or above for money but for favors.
>>
>>52652230
Are you really that desprit?
>>
>>52652148
>Can you cast spells like Vampiric Touch and Inflict Wounds through other spells
>like the weapon from Spiritual Weapon
No.
>the familiar from Find Familiar
Inflict Wounds yes, Vampiric Touch no. Has to have a range of Touch, the latter has range of Self.
>>
>>52652172
By this logic misty step is the best method of moving around, unless you're thinking of a 'best blasting spell' being one that gives you an action attack such as call lightning.

>>52652190
>Attack of opportunity
Never mentioned that.
It's said to fade out over the course of its turn, and the fact you're not allowed to sneak attack it may be that it creates an afterimage as part of its fading out that means by the time you see it moving away, it's too late to do attack it but you can see it fading out in the direction of its motion.

I'm doing what I think a good DM should do - Following the rules unless there's really some houserule that needs to be put in, and giving a good explanation for what's then happening. Sure, if the creature turns invisible 120ft away and doesn't hide and moves 30ft closer to the party, the party might not notice it unless they have outstanding passive perception, and the rules don't say that, but it's not like it's as big of a thing as 'Okay, the wisp says fuck you and disappears, you can't even attempt to attack it now. You've zero idea of where it is, you couldn't even try to light it up with faerie fire."
>>
>>52652096
Glamoured Evening Gown that is actually breast plate armor
Driftglobe filled with fireflies
Ornate Headband with Antlers that casts Faerie Fire once per day
A horn that summons a hart when blown, can be used as a mount for up to 4 hours per day
>>
>>52652260
Fuck yes, I want that goddamn dragon gone. He keeps stealing all my good potions. Get rid of him and get the timestop scroll.
>>
>>52652267
I'd say roll intelligence or wisdom to take an educated guess of where the creature might be
>>
>>52652311
Nonsense. Fireball always hit the spot.
>>
>>52652328
ANd the entire party
>>
>>52652118
I'm playing a rogue mostly gonna use my longbow
>>
>>52652267
Come on, I know they're in the other thread by try to follow the line of posts. Initially I wondered how PCs would know where an invisible will-o'-wisp moved, but then some anon said this: >>52651081, which is absolutely not true, since you can't opportunity attack something invisible. That was my whole gripe with that post.

Now, about the initial question and the solution you're providing, I'm inclined to agree with you. What I'd probably do, if the will-o'-wisp hadn't taken an action to hide, was ask the party for perception checks (no action required) to pinpoint the creature's new location, though they'd have a general idea if it was within 30ft or so. On the other hand, if the Hide action was used, then the party would need to take the Search action.
>>
File: Bloodborne noblle man.jpg (162KB, 534x810px) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne noblle man.jpg
162KB, 534x810px
>Be me, forever DM playing 5e homebrew on roll20 with strangers so I get to be a player.
>Game alright, my character gets downed 9/10 encounters, no magic items, somehow survive to level 5.
>BBEG high level warlock uses mass suggestion every fight to turn ally PCs into mind controlled turncoats for 24h with only initial wisdom save.
>PC Barb kills downed PC.
>run away from PC Barb the entire fight
>down the Barb
>revive him
>He's still 'mind controlled'
>Down him again

I personally hate spells that take away player agency but this is ridiculous. How do I explain to the DM that this is ridiculous without rule lawyering?
>>
>>52652368
They should know better. I'm the son of the dragon.
>>
>>52652425
Casually drop how mind control is a general staple of every bad B-movie plot.
>>
>>52651231
why isnt discord in the op?
>>
>>52652425

> If you or any of your companions damage a creature affected by this spell, the spell ends for that creature.

its in the spell
>>
>>52652540
Huh, there's a Discord? I wouldn't mind joining that, I guess.
>>
>>52652425
>Mass Suggestion
>The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the course of action sound reasonable.
Why does everyone fucking forgets about this? Does the DM actually makes up reasonable arguments as to why the Bard should be attacking his friends?
Alternatively, go out of your way to avoid the charm. Get someone to Counterspell that shit. Dispel Magic also works and almost every caster can get it.

tfw Berserker bard would have actually been the best choice for this campaign
>>
>>52652576
It's not all that great
>>
>working on campaign
>player in the current campaign
>no other groups to DM for
:(
>>
>>52651990
>Let us not bring that meme back
That's a meme?
>>
>>52652581
Has to be better than the dead /lit/ SFF Discord.
>>
>>52652547

The enemy casted it on the party so the DM interprets it as, as long as she or her minions dont hurt the affected then it wil be a free dominate person spell for 24h with no saves.

>>52652580
I agree with all points made. I actually took dispel magic and the wizard has counter spell but we were tapped out at the start of the fight when BBEG magically pops in.

The Barb is totem bard so he not immune to charm sadly ,as the DM has a boner for taking PC control away.
>>
I went and did it fa/tg/uys, I have come to the inevitable, and have begun running a "Curse of Strahd: Dead and Loving it!" campaign

Every one is a charicature . The wereravens are Amish, lady Wachter a horny old lady, the abbot has an elaborate musical number.

And *everyone* wants to bang Strahd Vin Ziggy Stardust.

What else am I going to do?
>>
>>52652619
It was when Death House came out. People argued for several threads about those fucking sets of plate.
>hur PCs can get plate at level 1
>dur anything in the house corrodes and becomes useless after being taken out
>>
>>52652732
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4UdK0lBafM

Copy this scene word for word.
>>
>>52652732
>Dead and Loving it
That sounds simply amazing. Can I join?
>>
Cast Light on a stick and snap it in half. Is the light on one, both, or neither?
>>
>>52652763
You broke it so neither.
>>
>>52652732

Play "Dracula's Lament" from Forgetting Sarah Marshall "
>>
>>52652763
Doesn't light just operate like an infinitesimally small lightbulb? Like, it's just a point of light stuck to something. So whichever side had the point before the snap.
>>
>>52652760
It's been so far. My players just refuse to get up from the table four hours in

Kind of an IRL game between RL friends only tho, sorry anon
>>
>>52652425
>Roll up a monk after your current character dies.
>Run up to warlock and stun his ass.
>He loses concentration.
>Mind controll Spell on your party ends.
>Tie him up and gag him so the party can gang rape him.
>Enjoy as your DM cries bitch tears.
>>
So, whoever is maintaining the astranauta 5etools, could you please add the Inquisitor background from PSI and the Pyromancer sorcerous origin from PSK? It feels kind of odd not having them when the races are available.
>>
Would you put Kobold Sauce on your meals, /5eg/?
>>
>>52653078

Sauce made by Kobolds or Sauce made up of Kobolds?
>>
>>52653146
yes.
>>
>>52651491
Buy silver
>>
>>52652982
Mass Suggestion does not require concentration, unfortunately. The only way to break it is Dispel Magic, something that ends charms like Greater Restoration, or getting the caster or their allies to hurt the charmed targets.
>>
>>52652741
That's odd. I think I got plate armor from rise of tiamat level 1. It's after fighting through the kobolds to reach the keep, that you could request the governor to "loan" the armor.

I always assumed plate at lvl 1 after that game was the norm.
>>
>>52653171

And if it's made with Kobolds are they draconic kobolds or dog kobolds?
>>
>>52653219
Do you want a spicy or barbecue flavor on your meal?
>>
>>52653219
yes.
>>
>>52653204

Nope that's largely a 3.x era level of stupidity and to a lesser degree 4e.

5e is trying to model the look and feel of AD&D without all the wonky rules
>>
>>52653204
Your DM was very generous. I doubt Greenest should have even a single set of plate armor, it's a fucking country-side village for fuck's sake. While the adventure does say the governor will supply the party with anything available they might need, that should mean Splint at most. Especially considering the place is being raided and looted of almost everything they have.
>>
>>52652844
>You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light.

That suggests to me the entire object is coated in light.
>>
>>52653254
>one object
There's your answer. If you break it, it becomes two objects, thus either breaking the spell or transferring the light to one of the pieces. I'd let the caster choose which happens.
>>
>>52652293
>Glamoured Evening Gown that is actually breast plate armor
BOOBPLATE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52651578
I'm surprised classes haven't been reduced to 10 levels by now with multiclassing being the only way to go from 11 to 20.
>>
>>52653295
My Walock's armor of shadows is literally a bibibidibobidiboop gown dress
>>
What would you rate the following magic item? What tweak would bring it down/up to Rare?

Ghost Gloves (Requires Attunement)
These thick gloves have light engravings that depict several agonized specters and aberrations. While wearing these gloves unarmed strikes are considered magical, and they have +1 to attack, and deal 1d8 bludgeoning damage. Additionally attuning to these gloves increases the range of unarmed strikes by 5 feet. When using the gloves to strike a distant target it projects wispy images a ghost and eerie wailing sounds.
>>
>>52653363

At least rare probably very rare considering Monks don't even get unarmed damage of d8s until 12th level and various other parts of it are pretty significant effects.
>>
>>52653363
They are already stupid powerful.

Remove the reach property, add a "you can interact with the ethereal plane" property and keep the damage at 1d4 psychic or necrotic
>>
>>52653363
Take off the +1 and they're fine for a rare.
>>
>>52653363
If you're trying to make something cool for a monk, but that can also be used by other classes without putting to shame the monk's Martial Arts progression (as the other anon said, they only get d8s by 12th level), I suggest that instead of making the unarmed strike deal 1d8 bludgeoning, you could say:
>While wearing these gloves you have a +1 bonus to the attack and damage rolls of your unarmed strikes, which are considered magical, and deal an additional 1d6 necrotic damage.

This way any character with the gloves can deal 2+Str bludgeoning (or 1d4+1 with tavern brawler) + 1d6 necrotic, while monks get even more from it, since the necrotic damage is on top of their martial arts die. With that and reach, I'd say rare sounds about right.
>>
>>52653415
>>52653438
>>52653482
>>52653508
Thank you for all your help. Magic weapons often allude me, I much prefer wondrous items.
>>
>>52653538
you're mom's grizzled gash is a wondrous item
>>
>>52653363
More like:
While wearing these gloves your unarmed strikes deal an additional 1d4 necrotic damage, gain a +1 to hit and a 5ft reach.
>>
>>52653363
Consider the following

The Daggers of venom is rare and gives out 2d10 poison damage, once.
>>
>>52652311
They're already guessing where the creature might be by the fact they have disadvantage and can't target and so forth.

It's just, they're not guessing over a square-by-square basis.

>>52652381
>Rogue
Well, booming blade is probably good for a rogue if an enemy corners you and you want to have a decent melee attack.

Of course, using a longbow instead of a hand crossbow is already a bad idea, but eh. It's functional, so that's fine.

>>52652423
I said that, but it seems that there's some confusion because you said 'without opportunity attacks' and I assumed that 'without opportunity attacks' was just a given thing, so I didn't mention it but was talking about a normal attack later in the round (Say, a player shooting the wisp after its turn). Though I might've mentioned somebody readying an action to shoot it in the middle of its movement at some point.

So, since the 'they turn invisible and move 50ft in one motion' rather than 'they turn invisible THEN move 50ft' kinda suggests they could get an opportunity attack, I was trying to reason why they wouldn't get an opportunity attack.

Really, the whole thing about rolling perception all the time is silly. It's mandating that perception is even more of a 'required skill for combat' and slows things down when chances are nine times out of ten someone will roll high enough and tell everyone else, or one time out of ten they don't manage it and they didn't really have a counter because it was all luck anyway.
>>
>>52652425
Become a devotion paladin.
>>
>>52652540
>>52652576
>>52652581
>>52652635
It's shit and you should feel bad for wanting that cancer here.
>>
>>52651269

I played one with a halfling who rode a dog
>>
>>52652635
>>52652576
Don't mind anon. I mean, it's hardly the best thing ever but the main problem as with most discords is that since it's not anonymous people take out their drama in-thread and cancer things up, so the problem is usually more what the discord causes than what it is, which is why we don't have discord in the OP.
>>
>>52653738
Why so harsh it's harmless
>>
>>52652576
>>52652540
https://discord.me/5eg
>>
>>52651269
Do Halfling druids still get bonuses to riding if they use a riding dog as both animal companion and mount? That shit used to be sick.
>>
>>52653937
It's rangers that get animal companions
>>
>>52651231
What's the context of that pic?
>>
>>52651231
>now you might think it foolish to wear plate armor while having both legs replaced with pegs.
>this is absolutely true, my stumps are screaming in agony every second but someone's got to teach you dragon anatomy so it doesn't happen to you.
>>
>>52653956
>>52653937
In any case, no, your paladin mount and your beast companion can't be the same creature. Your beast companion has to be a real beast from the Prime Material, whereas the Find Mount spell plucks a fey, celestial, or fiendish spirit from another plane and makes it serve you in the shape of a beast.
>>
>>52654003
No where is paladin mentioned in either post
>>
Hey /tg/ im looking for some cool cleric concepts to spice up my role-playing
ie: nature cleric->voodoo or witch doctor
Tempest-> ship cleric protecting crew from storms and pirates
Light-> village protector who must light and maintain torches that circle the village to keep shadow hidden fey at bay
>>
>>52654038
Im especially looking for nature and arcane stuff
Can't think of any cool concepts for them
>>
>>52652580
>>The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the course of action sound reasonable.

Not disagreeing that having the party kill each other is unreasonable, but how reasonable does something need to be before it qualifies? Because if you stretch it far enough I could see this spell being no better than a good Persuade roll.
>>
>>52651269
My latest major campaign stars my (ex) royal guard character and his mythic gryphon mount who survived the razing of their kingdom.

Going pretty well, the bird is like a big cat(bird) and tears anything we come across into shreds.
>>
>>52653199

Was no one in the party an elf? Also maybe just wear earplugs next time you encounter the BBEG
>>
>>52653614
The real power of the Dagger of Venom is inflicting the poisoned condition for a full minute if they fail the initial save. Disadvantage on attacks and ability checks (grappling, perception, stealth) for a minute can really screw up a non-caster NPC.
>>
File: 1474143077422.jpg (76KB, 354x380px) Image search: [Google]
1474143077422.jpg
76KB, 354x380px
>123 replies
>3 images

It's one of those threads
>>
>>52654038

nature cleric already has its own class, called druid
>>
What are rituals good for?
>>
>>52654058
Nature cleric: member of an apocalyptic prepper cult that lives innawoods
Arcana cleric: there is a library or university of magic where wizards etc. Study at, and you are one of the caretakers
>>
>>52654154
Out of combat utility for casters with shitty skill selection, without expending a spell slot to cast.
>>
>>52654154
For casting certain spells without using slots
>>
>>52654080
>just wear earplugs next time you encounter the BBEG
I'm not the OP (>>52652425) but that's actually a great idea. If you can't hear them, they can't charm you.

>>52654062
I mean, at least the DM has to come up with some reasonable bullshit. For example one of the published adventures says "The malisons also use suggestion spells to tell characters that a fellow party member has been replaced by a yuan-ti spy and should be attacked." That sounds reasonable, right?
>>
What sort of food do the various races eat in your campaigns /5eg/?

Do the Dorfs eat mutton, mushrooms and beer?
Do the Elves eat acorns and totally not Lembas?
Do Orks eat their food raw or do they like a nice char on the meat?
>>
>>52651231
Making my first ever character for my first ever DND game.

I need help deciding on a character flaw based on what I have;

She's a half sea elf/human. Father was a pirate. Grew to preteen age on the ship, learned theivery and general shady stuff but dreamed of living a honest life. home ship gets ambushed in port and the whole crew besides her dies, she lives as an urchin for a while stealing just enough to keep going. One day she tries to steal a pendant that reminds her of her fathers ship, gets caught by the owner. Owner takes her in, instills in her a belief of karmic justice. Him and his wife get killed by a burglar while she can do nothing but watch. She takes her revenge and kills the burglars in the home, vows to never take an "innocent" life (will only kill a killer/someone who will kill--leaves breathing room for character development/black, white, and grey scenarios)

Fastforward. She's now entering late life. She's mature and knows her body is going to begin failing her. For years she's run a bar/orphanage/halfway house where she "rehabilitates" other criminals/urchins/shady types, trying to instill in them to pay for what they take with kind actions and not to take anything that will threaten livelihood. General "robin hood" type stuff.

The campaign is her giving her last go at the world, she feels a need to find someone to take her place at the halfway house.

the only flaw I was able to think might work was "too trusting" but I dont think that fits her, she's very matronly and exudes an innocent outward appearance but inside she's always planning, analyzing, trying to understand.

There's more specifics to her as a character if needed but Idek how much of this stuff matters. I've got a handwritten biography for her just to answer my own questions I had about the character but I would love any help on this.
>>
>>52654154
Use Alarm to keep tabs on enemy movement
Or use Commune with Nature for supreme 300' indoor scouting
>>
File: 1483254868407.jpg (130KB, 589x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1483254868407.jpg
130KB, 589x1024px
For any DM's out there, how do you design your magic weapon creations? I recently had a magic item creation that was +1 with vorpal. Seemed fine at the time, but later came back to bite me in the ass during some pvp. I was only thinking of the item from a pve perspective when I created it
>>
>>52654241

You realize of course that a half-elf's lifespan is around 180 years?

How are you going to explain that sort of massive timespan working at an orphanage yet still being 1st level (or are you starting at higher level).

Old character aren't completely out of place but they have some additional challenges within a class/level system because you have to explain why the fuck they are slackers and using the amnesia so they forgot their previous life can seem extremely forced.
>>
File: Fallen-Statue.png (556KB, 1000x637px) Image search: [Google]
Fallen-Statue.png
556KB, 1000x637px
Was there any consensus about UA Traps Revisited? Anyone here take a crack at making your own Complex Trap? I'd be very interested in looking at some.
>>
>>52654284
What on earth were you thinking? That's literally stronger than a legendary weapon.
>>
>>52654326
A good tool for DMs looking to run mostly dungeons and highly underrated by the community.
>>
>>52654284

Vorpal is like a end game legendary level effect. Even reducing the static modifier isn't that much of a reduction in power. Very Rare at a minimum which still means relatively high level
>>
>>52654340
erm, but a vorpal is +3
>>
How would you go about calculating the AC of monsters now that all the fiddly bits like +2 dex, +4 nat armor are gone?
>>
>>52654375

Monsters don't necessary use the same rules as PCs anon
>>
>>52654340
>>52654361
They certainly earned the item, it was the first magic item in a while and was hyped up to be a legendary like item. None of my other weapons were near like this. they are very close to end game as well, campaign will end within the next couple sessions. Also a fair amount of the enemies have been undead, so the vorpal isn't even relevant for half the enemies.
>>
Playing through TYP and the Kobold PC took nightcaller. Free pack Tactics
>>
>>52654388
So just eyeball it?
>>
>>52654410

Why would undead be immune to decapitation? Unless they are legendary monsters like Liches and Vampires which you can handwave as being immune.

Personally I've always hated the Vorpal sword since 1e so that shit doesn't show up in my campaigns but it's such a random yet massively powerful effect that it can make fights completely anticlimatic
>>
>>52654284
I typically take parts of feats and class features and use them as the item abilities. For example I made a great sword which allowed you to make an attack as you to make an attack as a bonus action if you kill an enemy or spend a point of constitution. This seems confusing, but it's mostly the cleave part of great weapon master and reckless attack from barbarian with an alternate cost.
>>
>>52654451
Many editions portray undead as not caring if they have a head, despite that it makes little sense to me.
>>
Assuming you're committed to taking one or the other, Observant or Linguist? I'm feeling like the +5 to passive perception is impossible to pass up but speaking more languages is pretty cool.
>>
>>52654522
Observant. No questions asked.
>>
>>52654322

she worked in an orphanage and didn't really ever fight or adventure at all? What kind of EXP do you expect to get doing that?
>>
>>52654522
>more languages
>when spells like tongues exist
observant everyday
>>
>>52654515
Why would they care it's not like they'd die without it. I'm thinking mostly of skeletons here
>>
>>52654515

if they don't have a head shouldn't they at least suffer from both blindness and deafness?
>>
>>52654451
I have had some of the enemies immune to decapitation, it was mostly a gimick at first with an encounter of a talking skeleton head early on and became more of a consistency thing. One of the players said he wanted to try and make a race that was undead and could just take his head off for funny things like that. You're still taking damage when you're decapitated, just it doesn't mean insta-death for the undead.

>>52654504
That's actually pretty good, thanks anon.
>>
Going to an open game night at the game shop. Wish me luck
>>
>>52651269
A campaign I'm planning for the summer will have the players find young dragons to ride, if that counts.
>>
>>52654322
The idea that age correlates to XP is FUCKING RETARDED. Just drop the idea.

You can make level 20 in 30 days and you can fail to make level 2 in 30 years.

Long lived races aren't gonna be long lived by getting into frequent encounters, so there's no reason to think that they'd be higher level. Nor is there any reason to think that retirement homes are full of BULLETPROOF GODFORGED ARMYSLAYERS.

There is also no reason to think that NPCs, or PCs not in PC mode advance in such a fashion.
>>
>>52654609

roll for anal circumference
>>
>>52654237
They've been in yuan-ti country for a long time. Turns out yuan-ti really like rat. Honeyed rat, spicy rat curry, and whole skewered rats are found on the tables of all social classes. The richest yuan-ti love exotic monster meats, and the poorest yuan-ti have to have a lot of rice and fish. None of them find it important or desirable to debone meat before eating. Alcohol has no effect on them, but they'll drink small beer because it's better than drinking dirty water.
>>
>>52654566
Exactly what sensory organs does a skeleton or skeletal lich have on his head? What does "survival" even mean for an undead? Or a construct?

But yeah, I would rule that any undead that is not extremely badass or legendary would be instantly destroyed, because why not. A death knight is something I would not allow to be instantly destroyed by it (and just take 6d8), but anything short of that, yeah.
>>
>>52653146
Made by
It's actually just magically flavored paste
>>
>>52651231
>pic of anatomy
Is starting the heart of a troll with shocking grasp worth it?
>>
>>52654618

I don't care about the combat skills and levels but having a some sort of way of representing that you didn't just get mastery of driving wagons in a century of life is nice.

Not saying it can't be done it's just excessively old and excessively young characters can be such a pain in the ass and alot of players struggle with doing it well
>>
Does Psionic Surge and Surge of Health completely stop you from using your psychic focus ability until a short rest or does it stop you from using the specific psychic focus ability you had been focusing on until a short rest? Example:

>I am focusing on the Mastery of Wood and Earth's Psychic Focus for +1 to AC
> I use Psychic Surge to give my foe disadvantage on their saving throw against my discipline, I lose my psychic focus for the Mastery of Wood and Earth.
>Next turn I focus on Mastery of Fire's Psychic Focus allowing me to use Psychic Surge again.

Is that how that works or am I misinterpreting this anons?
>>
>>52654375
>>52654388
They pretty much do, in the way of AC calculations, but there may be more options available to monsters.
Their AC is gonna be 10+dex unless it specifies natural armor, in which case the AC calculation is (number+dex) and if necessary you can find (number) by getting the difference between their natural armor AC and 10+dex. In this instance monsters have "more options" than PCs because natural armor can be handwaved to give a monster whatever AC you want, while I think the most common (only?) Equivalent of natural armor for PCs is 13+dex.
Besides that some monsters wear armor, and for the most part they work as you'd expect armor to work as on a PC. I think there was one instance of an armored monster I saw that the AC didn't work out like I thought it should given the armor it was wearing, but it's equally likely that there was a discrepancy between iterations of the MM before release OR I just added the wrong dex mod or something.
>>
>>52651269
I ran a campaign where the main mount creatures were feathered raptors. My current setting features bipedal goat-things with beaks and six-legged dunelizards.
>>
>>52654724
Worth what? Having a troll potentially be alive again? That's really a question only you can answer, since I have no idea what you want with a troll after its already been killed.
>>
File: dwarvenstriketeamleaderguy.png (4KB, 70x70px) Image search: [Google]
dwarvenstriketeamleaderguy.png
4KB, 70x70px
>>52654112
here i sprited a dwarf just for you
>>
hey fuckboys
>>
How's this background?

Grew up youngest of a large poor family,got into lots of fights but showed some marginal signs of magical aptitude. Elf Wizard shows up claiming to be a teacher of the arcane, offers to take the kid as an apprentice for a fee that the family can scrounge together. Wizard is actually a charlatan who takes fee and children away and then abandons them. Kid is angry and lost in a distant city, and decides not to go home until they become a wizard.
>>
>>52655023
I like it.
>>
Does Heat Metal damage animated armor, or does it turn them into a white-hot grapplin' damage source?
>>
>>52654944
I word it wrong. Can you start the heart of a troll with shocking grasp? I want to revive the Lord of the Bridging Land to bring back order. I got the idea after reading about the flesh golem.
>>
>>52651491
Start roleplaying and stop rollplaying.
Also I suggest you drop Barbarian and go Vampire Hunter with dual wield silvered stake throwers and holy handgrenades while you're at it
>>
>>52654742
I wouldn't mind elfs and derfs getting expertise in "useless shit like artisan tools" etc.
>>
>have more female than male players wanting to join my group that I am trying to set up
how did this happen
>>
>>52655023
too indepth and autistic
How about
>You are a wizard's apprentice. Unfortunately, your master is often too busy with his own studies to properly train you. You have to decided to practice and improve your skills as an adventurer.
>Feature: Same as Sage
>>
>>52655169
Does damage. Helmed horrors have anti Heat Metal just for that contingency.
>>
>>52655023
Track down wizard and tase his ass
>>
>>52655180
That's something you'll have to talk to your DM about. Either he'll like it and let you do it or else he has something else already planned and won't allow it.
>>
File: red sea object.jpg (129KB, 714x1000px) Image search: [Google]
red sea object.jpg
129KB, 714x1000px
Quickly! I need ideas for the name of a carriage that a mercenary company operates out of.
>>
>>52655251
Can I make it turn them into burning bearhugging machines?
>>
>>52655245
Not a general background, a character background. I was going to use Urchin as the general background.
>>
>>52655277
Dust River

you know, like roads
>>
>>52655293
Unlimited Autism!
>>
>>52655305
>one paragraph of character background is autistic
The fuck
>>
>>52655277
Spare Coffin
>>
>>52655277
I really loved that SCP.
>>
>>52655277
Third horse-carriage.
>>
Is anyone else having problems importing spells from the 5etools to roll20?
I can import monsters and items fine, but spells are giving me some JSON error.
>>
>>52654644
Nat 20
>>
>>52655277
Bad Horse.
>>
>>52655277
Fifth Wheel
Groovy Wagon
The Hatchback
The Pioneer
Tough Mudder
Rutting Destiny
My Other Driving Team Are Hippogriffs
Love on Wheels
Woody
>>
>>52651231
I like Dhampires and Vampires in fantasy.

Is there any Homebrew/official rules for a fella to get some blood sucking action going on?
>>
>>52655503
The Strahad module (CoS) is about a Vampire, so probably some stuff you'll like in there.
>>
>>52655285
Yes. It would presumably deal +2d8 damage.
>>
>>52655428
it's d100, you dolt
>>
>>52655347
Theirs an autist who screeches when people decide to make flesh out their background beyond the basics. Mostly his argument boils down to "you should develop character in game, including background."
>>
File: TieflingMale02.png (2MB, 1000x1149px) Image search: [Google]
TieflingMale02.png
2MB, 1000x1149px
>>52655293
Combine for less autism!

>You are a street urchin, who grew up on the streets of Luskan. As a boy, you were taken in by the Arcane Brotherhood and trained in the art of magic. Unfortunately, you weren't evil enough, and you were eventually kicked out by the head of Magical Human Resources, a cruel wizard named Tal Rey-al. But you continued your studies on your own on the streets, and now you are skilled enough to become an adventurer. You left Luskan and traveled to your moms house, where you saw me having sex with her. The end
Feature: Same as Urchin

>pic related it's you, you're now a tiefling
>>
>>52655503
Depends if you're actually willing to take the drawbacks that come with being one

>>52655562
>There's

I need to not shit post at work so much
>>
>>52651353
Technically correct, but wrong in practice. Unaware combatants are flatfooted don't act their first turn.
>>
File: d840cd21b4859e93037350fb6a370a78.jpg (249KB, 809x1199px) Image search: [Google]
d840cd21b4859e93037350fb6a370a78.jpg
249KB, 809x1199px
Background-Hustla: I'm just a young black male, cursed since my birth, had to turn to crack sales, when worse come to worse, headed for the packed jails, or maybe it's a hearse, my only way to stack mail, is out here doin' dirt
Feature: All Eyez On Me
>>
>>52655668
Would murder in the middle of the night
>>
File: Sehanine Moonbow.png (1MB, 1280x1680px) Image search: [Google]
Sehanine Moonbow.png
1MB, 1280x1680px
>She walks in beauty, like the night
>Of cloudless climes and starry skies,
>And all that's best of dark and bright
>Meets in her aspect and her eyes
You now have ten (10) seconds to explain why you are not an elf lord in service to the Seldarine
>>
>>52655727
Because I'm a Half-Elf :(
>>
File: Seldarine01.png (893KB, 1416x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Seldarine01.png
893KB, 1416x1000px
>>52655735
They would welcome you... as long as you're skinny...
>>
>>52655747
I am, but what does that matter?
>>
>>52655727
Radioactive dandruff.
>>
>>52655727
Why are you quoting Lord Byron's shitty love poem to his already married cousin?
>>
>>52655727
Didn't we tell you last time, yah twinkle stick?
>>
>>52655762
No fatties allowed in Arvandor
>>
File: 071d104f9726e0652784186b0c6e537a.jpg (332KB, 2270x1084px) Image search: [Google]
071d104f9726e0652784186b0c6e537a.jpg
332KB, 2270x1084px
>>52655277
Red Rider, Husk Shell, Dracan Caravan, or Agu trail.
>>52655260
Will do. Does anyone have picture of land consist of bridge? I head of bridge city but not to the scale of my dm world before.
>pic related minus anime girl
>>
>>52655779
It rather fits her, don't you think my friend?
>>
>>52655799
Yes, they're equally vapid garbage.
>>
File: Corellon Larethian.png (467KB, 600x850px) Image search: [Google]
Corellon Larethian.png
467KB, 600x850px
>There is pleasure in the pathless woods,
>there is rapture in the lonely shore,
>there is society where none intrudes,
>by the deep sea, and music in its roar
>>
File: 1491633805773.jpg (246KB, 400x800px) Image search: [Google]
1491633805773.jpg
246KB, 400x800px
>>52655810
Awwww someone has a tale of woe, a broken heart. Behind someone who hates is someone who loves too much! Shame you're such a fucking faggot now tho desu
>>
>>52655727
Because i'm a warlock in service to Asmodeus and desu devil powers are more appealing than some shitty hippy.
>>
>>52655481
>Tough Mudder
we picked that one, thanks anon!
>>
>>52655846
>elfposter
>calling anyone else a faggot
>>
File: 1485420537322.jpg (48KB, 541x498px) Image search: [Google]
1485420537322.jpg
48KB, 541x498px
>>52655847
Imagine dying while saving the lives of your people, then stepping into Arvandor, where chains will never bind you, and all your grief, at last, at last, behind you

vs.

Getting eaten by goblins and then waking up in the Nine Hells as a slave to a devil with a barbed cock for all eternity because he let you go "pew pew" for a few years

LOL EBIN HIPPY XD
>>
>>52655503
my current character used this one:
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dhampir_(5e_Race)
we just edited it a bit, taking out the special magic except for the charm person.
>>
>>52655549
:'(
>>
>>52655883
Well that's because my character currently is about two reagents away from a Daemonic Ascension ritual that will grant him immortality and his own Plane of existence to rule over. So thanks but i'll pass.
>>
>>52655889
Should be: Charm Pusy
>Target female humanoid must succeed on a Wisdom saving through, or have her pusy be charmed by you for 1d20 hours. On a successful saving throw, she maybe blows you or plays w/ your balls or something for a while then leaves with her friends.
>Material Component: A Lexus Car Key
>>
>>52655913
>you die getting the last regent
>wake up already impaled by Gorshug the Many-Dicked
>You: "Damn the elf was right"
>>
>>52655921
Well she's not a lesbian, so that wouldn't make sense.
>>
>>52654235
Lmao yes Ill try to get some bees wax or whatever and make everyone wear ear plugs.

As far as reasonable bullshit for Suggestion spell go, if I were running and the 'yuan ti/doppleganger' is your friend worked in the situation, then yes they would be turned.. up until any moment they take damage as a result of turning on their party, which the spell explicitly says will end the charm.
>>
>>52655889
Not the worst race I've ever seen, I'd give it just one spell however, maybe the others at the points where cantrips improve (5th and 11th I think?)
>>
>>52655940
>Implying Gorshug the Many-Dicked isn't a sensitive lover, as opposed to your fae gods which rape you with tree branches then toss you aside like last week's cumbucket.
>Implying Devil's aren't more likely to treat you better because it's not often they get pretty people in the Nine Hells, whereas the many elven realms are flush with elf pussy, so it's not a valued commodity.
>>
>>52655913
Wow, you are working really hard to become an NPC. It's been a while since I see someone doing it. Congratulations, anon.
>>
>>52655986
oh sorry anon, what do you do with your characters at the end of a campaign? just leave them as random weirdos? he's a level 20 warlock, he deserves this much.
>>
Does anybody have a link for Plants and Fungi of the Realms anywhere? I kinda want to use it now that downtime is out.
>>
>>52656288
I throw the sheet away and start a new one. All my characters are fodder.
>>
>>52656307
well we're not all as unimaginative as you
>>
>>52656293

Any help with this please?
>>
File: 1453688112608.jpg (40KB, 350x347px) Image search: [Google]
1453688112608.jpg
40KB, 350x347px
>>52651491
>Rolling for stats in 5e
>>
>>52656472
it's been 10 fucking minutes, if you have the time to bitch why not, i don't know, looking it up for yourself?
>>
>>52656506

Already tried, torrents and all that. i was hoping somebody would have it.
>>
>>52651491
To optimize a barbarian:

1. Does your party have a lot of melee? If so, take wolf. Otherwise, take bear.
2. Do you wish to focus on grapples, pure tankiness or simply damage and control? If grapples, go strength barbarian5/RogueX. If tankiness, go dex barbarian5/RogueX. If just plain damage + control, go pure strength barbarian and grab PAM, Sentinel and GWM in whatever order, and only bother with strength afterwards.
3. If you do not have a relevant feat, on any level before 5, dual-wielding is usually the best choice for a barbarian.

Also
>rolling for stats

And your DM is pretty generous to give a magic item at level 3.
>>
>>52656530
i mean, the thing is 2.99, i'm sure they time you've spent trying to get it was worth more than just paying for it, unless you are some sort of unemployed fuck then you don't deserve shit either way.
>>
My 5e audioblog: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1KgmLvZT3bk
>>
File: 1413516426053.png (325KB, 382x417px) Image search: [Google]
1413516426053.png
325KB, 382x417px
What sorts of fucked up sci-fi-esque monsters can I throw at my players?

I want to pull a fast one on them by making the first parts of their adventure have a stock fantasy theme, then I want to fuck with them by introducing some real spooky Aliens/The Thing sort of stuff.

Tsochars are definitely pretty high up on the list.
>>
>>52656746
Gibbering Mouthers.
>>
>>52656746
Mindflayers and all that comes with them.
>>
>>52656746
>Tsochars

Good taste.
>>
>>52656746
Super golems.
>>
How does the thundercannon work? Is it based off of dex or does it not have modifiers?
>>
>>52656746
Ropers are pretty fuckin scary to think about if you ask me. Maybe some anted-up version of them that came from the future?
>>
Is West Marches a meme or is it actually good?
>>
>>52656952
It's a meme.
>>
>>52656983
you're a meme
>>
File: roper.png (575KB, 489x607px) Image search: [Google]
roper.png
575KB, 489x607px
>>52656899
sure as hell look like aliens
>>
>>52656742
What exactly did I just listen to?
>>
>be a wizard
>spend years going on adventures learning as much as I can about the arcane
>finally reach level 17
>travel to whatever city in my setting has the highest concentration of archmages
>gather as many wizards as I can to record the results of what I have been working my whole life to accomplish, so future generations can be more enlightened
>huge even in the gathering hall of the wizard academy
>dozens of pens and sheets of parchment at the ready
>cast Wish
>"I wish to eat my own head"

How is this for character motivation?
>>
>>52656952
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGAC-gBoX9k
>>
>>52656952
what's the story behind west marches?
why are they so good/bad and/or memes?
>>
>>52657059
kaufman-level genius
>>
>>52657155
I am deeply amused
>>
>>52656896
It's a ranged weapon, with all that entails.
>>
File: mel-gibson-vince-vaughn-memes.png (257KB, 601x400px) Image search: [Google]
mel-gibson-vince-vaughn-memes.png
257KB, 601x400px
>>52657155
>the other wizards faces when the wish is granted
It would be even better if you had a fully matured Clone that comes out and bows after the eating stops
>>
What's the most damage you can do with one punch? Quivering Palm doesn't count, it's a secondary effect.
>>
>>52657289
like 4 damage
>>
>>52657321
Wrong

>>52657289
10 if you get to the last tier of monk
>>
>>52657289
anime was a mistake
>>
File: 1491259608848.png (559KB, 512x768px) Image search: [Google]
1491259608848.png
559KB, 512x768px
>>52657396
>>
File: thehorror.gif (2MB, 300x170px) Image search: [Google]
thehorror.gif
2MB, 300x170px
>period setting game
>they arrive at an apparently nameless village to find all of its inhabitants struck stupid
>party tries to find the constabulary or the mayor, but all the signs are blank
>finally locates them by trial and error, but there's no record of what happened
>there's no record of ANYTHING
>they decide to loot the store because why not
>nothing in there is labeled
>they encounter some weirdo already looting the place and confront him
>he freaks the fuck out and mimes at them to shut up
>they keep yelling at this guy like he's some super criminal and ignore all of his frantic motions to STFU
>they fail perception to notice the black fog creeping in
>looter screams and party notices he has no tongue; he runs off
>table assumes it must be mindflayers or something because everyone in town is acting like mute retards
>party goes around the entire town looting shit and collects in the square to go over their spoils
>they even take rings and pocketwatches off civilians
>fog keeps getting worse and party assumes something is going to come rushing out of the darkness at any moment
>Wizard starts casting Mordenkainen's Hound
>mfw I realize he has a (spell)book on him
And that's how the party's level 10 Wizard became the party's level 1 Rogue for the next three sessions
>>
>>52657289
2*(15+magical bonuses)
>>
>>52657289
Well a Monk who rolls maximum damage at level 20 can do like 15 and a level 20 Barbarian with Tavern Brawler can also do 15.

Unarmed's made for the monk to land 3-4 hits a turn so it doesn't hit hard.
>>
>>52657289
1d10*2 (Monk MA die) + 1d4*2 (Enlarge Person, fuck you the fists would be bigger too) + 5 (Str/Dex stat mod)
>>
>>52657422
im confused bro
>>
>>52657422
I don't get it buddy. I mean, I'm intrigued, but I'm not following. Is it something like whatever a person wrote, the black fog took that word from their brain? Is it a reference to something?
>>
Until what level could a barbarian rely on tavern brawler before it started being a nuisance?
>>
>>52657422
Sounds weird. If you run your games the way you write your posts, I'm sorry for your players.
>>
>>52657496
Well at level one you're doing 5 average damage less.

In a game where a level 1 Goblin has 7HP I think.

So never.
>>
>>52657172
this is too much wishful thinking, and falls into MMO simulationism. the universe he wants depends entirely on people very devoted to the setting, and at point you could've just kept them hooked to your original setting.

it surely inspires you, and reminds me of the only run i tried to dm for 5e but even then, it's very hard to fill an entire world of content, much less if you as the dm have a real job and other pastimes.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d20)

Investigation check for qt boyfriend to cuddle with on /5eg/
>>
>>52657589
I'm a qt boy but I've already got a boyfriend. Sorry you botched the check.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>52657609
Persuasion roll to ditch your bf and get with me.

I'm qt girl btw
>>
File: 1490642334054.jpg (49KB, 632x775px) Image search: [Google]
1490642334054.jpg
49KB, 632x775px
>>52657589
pfff
>>
File: uYqZ5wd.webm (2MB, 404x720px) Image search: [Google]
uYqZ5wd.webm
2MB, 404x720px
>>52657589
u can cuddle w/ my familiar
>>
>>52654322
I dont really see how that coorelates to my question but she never really left her city after her fathers ship, but my stat rolls were all no lower than 17 (that's good right?) so that could help explain?

>>52654241
>>52654241
still need advice on this though, please.
>>
>>52657617
Girls are gross.
>>
>>52657589
>>
Rolled 6 (1d20)

>>52657630
seduction

But don't you like my pretty pink pussy?
>>
>>52657643
Sorry, I'm only into chubby milfs when it comes to females.
Plus I'm a furry.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

roll to get blown
>>
>>52657494
>>52657475
It was a cloud that ate information. Anything written or spoken attracted it. It wiped all the signs and books and letters and mail and inscriptions and labels on everything in the town, and as the townsfolk kept freaking out about it, it started eating their words. The only guy who was safe was some criminal who had his tongue cut out. He couldn't talk, so it couldn't get him. His purpose there was to try and mime or pictionary out what happened to the party, but they were more interested in interrogating him because he MUST have been behind it all than shutting up for even two seconds, so he fled when the fog started getting thicker, drawn in by their constant shouting.

I forgot while setting all of this up that wizards carry around a physical spell book filled with oodles of information, and once that dawned on me after the Wizard started casting shit, he became the #1 target of the info-thief. It wiped his book, stole his words, and the party ran away screaming (and eventually just waving their hands) once they realized talking was what triggered aggression and their weapons weren't doing much. Once they got away, the party Fighter actually pieced it all together when he saw his runic axe was now just an axe.

The mute, spellbook-less Wizard became a stabmaster because he had 16 Dex until the party figured out how to suck all the info out of the cloud and kill it. they kept all the things they stole from the town
>>
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>52657661
the only thing I'll do is pull by gun and blow your dick off you fag
>>
File: 1491344702289.png (5KB, 266x189px) Image search: [Google]
1491344702289.png
5KB, 266x189px
>Someone asks for discord
>Someone starts doing that they are a girl with no timestamp and tits as proof

Well was fun while it lasted boys
>>
What the fuck are these degenerates doing in my /5eg/?

I'm looking for ways to tie two of my players, a Tiefling looking for her parents that abandoned her, and an old scholar looking to acquire great knowledge into a Curse of Strahd campaign. Any ideas?
>>
>>52657675
rip dick
>>
File: 1451978269318.jpg (17KB, 268x284px) Image search: [Google]
1451978269318.jpg
17KB, 268x284px
>PC is an aasimar warlock of the undying
>constantly draw out battles by bragging of he divine origin
>likes to annoy people and talk about how great he is
totally okay with this
>before any of the PC's decided their character I wrote a aasimar female warlock of the undying light
>excited for them to meet
>time finally arrives
>full RP session
>she asks him of his patrion
>oh my character doesn't like to speak about his origin
>she talks about her god and how aasimar are a step above humans
>she asks if she also worships her god
>says no
>she starts contronting him
>out of character he stats getting annoyed and says the fundimentals of how his character responds
>I tell her that she's wrong and she doesn't understand anything
would you like to roll play it
>no I don't want to speak to her
>second character apporoaches and starts talking about his necromancy
>he starts getting pissed off out of character and starts talking about how he has it under control and that he isn't getting corrupted
I just hope you don't become a monster in pursuit of destroying one
>gets upset that two npc's are scrutinizing his special snowflake character and stops even trying to roll play at all.

call me that guy but I love fucking with my PC's like this. I didn't even try to piss him off until i notice the first one annoyed him
>>
>>52657756
I'm honestly amazed he gave up that early. If PC's get salty every time an NPC disagrees with them they won't get far at all.

I mean at least do some big dramatic speech about your super cool edgy powers and why you're not going to be corrupted.
>>
>>52657687
Rumours are the tieflings parents got lost in the same fog/went hunting Strahd. Easy mode is the parents also have the knowledge the other guy seeks.
>>
>>52657687
tiefling parent's were taken by the fog (i haven't run CoS so i only have a vague idea of the setting), while tracking her own story, she comes across a tale about how her supposed town of birth disappeared suddenly one day, maybe her parents knew it would happen and abandoning her was the only way to save her from that fate, but she doesn't know it yet.

old scholar hears a rumor about an ancient library that might contain clues about the knowledge he seeks, following the tracks given by the book he learns of the mysteries of ravenloft/barovia and/or its dark powers, it's might or might not be a setup, but he wants to know more.

maybe the book retells the story about the disappearing town, or her parents had something to do with the ancient library, the sky is the limit.
>>
File: mars in the house.jpg (46KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
mars in the house.jpg
46KB, 500x497px
>>52656746
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6ckXQoBw2M#t=13m28
>>
Are there any good character sheet with enough space for a character profile picture?
>>
>>52652836
>ireena died in a conflict
>a pc sneaks on him while he's playing a strange music in his organ
>Can I listen to the lyrics
>roll perception
>It's a 20
>DM closes his eyes
>Curses to himself
>Ahem
>"It's getting kinda hard to believe things are going to get better"
>"I've been drowning too long to believe that the tide's going to turn"
>"And I've been living too hard to believe that things are going to get easier now"
>"I'm still trying to shake the pain from the lessons I've learned"

I can dig that
>>
>>52657849
I use MPMB's automatic sheets and they let you export pdfs into the background page.
>>
>>52657687
You've got no imagination.

1) Tiefling is a sister to Izek Strazhni, instead of Ireena.
2) The scholar hears rumors about the Amber Temple.
>>
>>52654862
The focus stops working and you can't focus until you rest.
>>
File: bodynn_cave.jpg (81KB, 1200x873px) Image search: [Google]
bodynn_cave.jpg
81KB, 1200x873px
How shitty is my cave?
>>
>>52657890
It's a cave.
>>
>>52657890
REEEEEEEE STOP PUTTING CAVES IN YOUR ADVENTURES
CAVES LARGE ENOUGH TO WALK THROUGH UPRIGHT ARE INCREDIBLY RARE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52657289
Some sorta crit with Divine Smite and Booming Blade.
>>
>>52656746
grells, everything mindflayer related, any of the psionic aberrations, aboleths, ancient tech in general.

this was mostly the setting to my last campaign, it was a exploring the new continent kind of story with some political intrigue but when they got to their first main quest, it was all ancient mind flayer technology and even more ancient massive underground water aboleth citadels. planar gates and maddening horrors, all the jazz.
>>
File: 1478923086301.jpg (152KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
1478923086301.jpg
152KB, 640x720px
I want to run a super autistic weeb build of a wild magic sorcerer with dex as his secondary stat so I can multiclass as a Rogue and kill people with a Katana and then blast fuckers from across the room with fireballs. His main goal in adventuring is to be a great hero for his son to look up to.

Please berate me for even thinking of this.
>>
>>52657806
the first dnd game I invited him to he was an air genasi homebrew race in a non homebrew campaign which was mega op and his skin had platinum scails because he was birthed by bahumut, I kicked him out for making a character TOO op.

the second game I invited him and said no homebrew but he ended up making the exact same character backstory and personality wise.

backstory
he was sent to the material realm by a god to do something. he speaks slavic accent both times too and only really RP's though bragging.

he GM's a game and I was the only person to bring a non homebrew character. we all got to bring compainion or magic weapon, I brought a goblin squire, one brought a dire wolf, one brought a teenaged dragon and one brought a fucking light saber.

by far the most retarded game I've played.

I love the confrontation so I bring him. I'm a masochist I guess
>>
File: martianbeaks.jpg (99KB, 368x340px) Image search: [Google]
martianbeaks.jpg
99KB, 368x340px
>>52657942
Is it grell time
>>
>>52657890
What is the lab about? Also what's about that box in the middle of the room?
>>
>>52657972
it's never grell time.
>>
>>52657955
At least it gives you a good story to tell.

Other then being super special is he actually decent at the game?
>>
>>52657949
You're coming in the thread after the Aasimar fiend warlock

You are nothing in terms of shit character. Tasteful by comparison
>>
File: 1491706885913.png (534KB, 654x618px) Image search: [Google]
1491706885913.png
534KB, 654x618px
Whats worse, aasimar warlock or tiefling paladin?
>>
File: igglanovaandpal.png (288KB, 472x512px) Image search: [Google]
igglanovaandpal.png
288KB, 472x512px
>>52657983
Too late, grell time is now
>>
>>52657981
Lab is where the necromancer has set up his base of operations.

If you're talking about the box in the middle of the cage room, that's where the necromancer is keeping a bunch of kobolds prisoner, experimenting with killing them and channeling their souls into corpses.
>>
>>52657949
valor bard or bladesinger are probably better picks for it, i don't know if vanilla warlock gets fireball and not going hexblade makes your pact of blade a lot worse.
>>
>>52658008
>Implying tiefling paladins are bad
Do you even Spiderwoods?
>>
>>52658008
Tiefling Paladin.
Warlocks aren't necessarily evil.
>>
>>52658008
I've at least seen a Tiefling paladin played well. Basically just "Taken from family by the setting's Paladin order and raised in their ways," so they don't act edgy at all.
>>
>>52658008

Aasimar Sorcerer, adding radiant soul to every missle
>>
>>52658008
Aasimar Warlock because quite often they have no reason to sell their soul in a deal with evil/otherworldly beings when they already have divine power..

Tielfling Paladin is just trying to be a good person.
>>
File: 102960318-8.jpg (108KB, 1053x765px) Image search: [Google]
102960318-8.jpg
108KB, 1053x765px
>>52658008
i'd say equally as bad, i feel disgusted about anyone that ever tried to play either a tiefling or an aasimar.

>>52658012
i'm more of a mind flayer kind of person myself.
>>
>>52658046
Not all Warlock pacts involve selling your soul and not every patron is evil or even out to collect souls.
>>
>>52657984
he's a bad DM but he's a good player.
he thinks on his feet and he gets to brag because he puts in work. even as a blade warlock he has the highest kill count and while he's not the investigator of the group he is surely the tactician.

the funny thing is I always say that DnD is pretty much just actively circle jerking and he hates that sentiment but he's the biggest culprit of it. as a DM he's always looking to suck your dick and as a PC he really only plays to get his dick sucked.
>>
>>52657949
>His main goal in adventuring is to be a great hero for his son to look up to.

This is the only acceptable part of your entire post. The rest is hot garbage and should be kept to pfg.

my next character is going to be a barbarian who is adventuring to become a hero so his wife doesn't catch crap from others of her station and so he can be the hero his daughter sees him as.
>>
>>52658046
I once made a Fallen Aasimar Warlock, Pact of the Fiend for a player, because christian Hell and Lucifer were actually an element of play
>>
>>52657912
>Big caves are too unrealistic but rust monsters, death dogs, shambling mounds, etc. are fine.
>>
>>52658039
Holy fuck I didn't notice they could do this. It's actually pretty bonkers if you spam it every round.

>>52658063
The point remains that Warlocks 99% of the time for the power to do something. Aasimar already have divine power they were given and a natural tendency towards good. Not saying it's impossible to do but most of the time it'll be shit.

>>52658077
Personally I despise Fallen Aasimar and believe the punishment for not following your divine spirit should just take away your subrace features. That' just my opinion though and it does conflict with 5e design.
>>
>>52658074
Kid motivations are great
Especially when your character dies and the entire table feels bad, realizing that your quest for glory ended up just leaving that child fatherless, and you failed to be a true hero.
>>
>>52658008
neither are bad

>paladins aren't always good
>warlocks aren't always evil

>aasimar of fey, aasimar of undying light
>tiefling of crown, tiefling of vengence

and thats not even considering that an aasimar may be an egotistical sociopath or that a tiefling may be compelled to be a saint due to childhood bullying
>>
>>52658014
Oh cool. You know your players are going to murder the fuck out of those kobolds right? They are also going to try to loot the shit out of that lab so it will be a good idea to put item traps or item that seem useful but in fact aren't (or they are even harmful). Just for the lols
>>
File: dwarvenminer.jpg (28KB, 382x308px) Image search: [Google]
dwarvenminer.jpg
28KB, 382x308px
>>52658084
Well, yeah, those fuckers are all created by magic. Caves are the result of the natural processes of erosion or the dissolution of soluble rock, such as limestone. Exactly how much of your setting's landmass is karst topography?
>>
>>52658136
>paladins aren't always good
This is my first edition of D&D because I hated the others and I still feel this was a mistake.

There should've been pact options for evil or neutral but the main pacts should be good.
>>
>>52658048
what races are acceptable

I really hope you don't say dragonborn or gnome
>>
>>52658130
>Personally I despise Fallen Aasimar

I can see your point, but personally, I adore all features in which roleplay compliments mechanics.
>>
>>52658147
Caves can be magic too, my dog
>>
File: dwarvenblastminer.png (341KB, 391x315px) Image search: [Google]
dwarvenblastminer.png
341KB, 391x315px
>>52658185
But the Underdark is for faggots.
>>
>>52658156
paladins weren't always good in real life either, there were many that broke their codes all of the time and killed when ever they could and over all abused their status.

if anything DnD has a lot more insentive to be a good paladin as breaking your oaths makes you an oathbreaker and you are forced to use evil magic.

I admit there should be more good paladin oaths than neutrual but there really isn't much in terms of evil paladins.
>>
how do I maximize a standard array Tiefling Bladelock of the Field?
>>
File: 1461274873960.gif (101KB, 500x513px) Image search: [Google]
1461274873960.gif
101KB, 500x513px
>>52658132
All the more reason not to fail
Really ups the tension of every big fight, and I want that. Also realized none of the guys I play with ever have any family or atleast that they care for in any way. I'm gonna make a man with a mission and sweat every fight.
>>
File: Thoqqua.jpg (35KB, 400x252px) Image search: [Google]
Thoqqua.jpg
35KB, 400x252px
>>52658147
In my setting, most caves are created my magic. Mainly giant thoqquas burrowing through the earth, although they aren't the only ones making caves and tunnels.
>>
>>52658159
>I really hope you don't say dragonborn or gnome
Not him but Dragonborn should've been a Volo's race and Gnomes aren't that bad.

They've just never had a place and so I make mine a bunch of spiteful forest midgets known for mind controlling animals and being angry at everyone else for being physically superior. They favor Eldritch Knights because they consider killing someone in melee to be the greatest honor.
>>
File: fuck this sword.jpg (135KB, 407x393px) Image search: [Google]
fuck this sword.jpg
135KB, 407x393px
>>52658197
>conflating the knights of Charlemagne or real-world knights in general with their romanticized fantasy equivalents or specifically the Paladin class
YAMERO
>>
>>52658209
I've upped the tension for my character by giving my character a con of , so first level the risk of being one shotted is very real.

I also chose my character's backstory of having a family because I think it's funny to have a detailed story next to the other players who pretty much are just "I'm a barbarian, I'm here to party."
>>
>>52658198

1. don't pick bladelock ever
you'll never use your sword elderich blast is too strong to not use
2. if you want to be a mage pick tome if you want to be a ranged attacker use chain
3. warlocks are not damage dealers they are a utility class make sure to get invocations such as gaze of two minds or voice of the chain master to allow you to keep communication without meta gaming
4. agonizing blast and high charisma is a must if you want to maximize your character.

warlocks are really only good for their invocations each pact doesn't add all that much and they're spell slots are pathetic just focus on elderich blast for damage and make sure to RP really well otherwise your character will start to get boring to you and most to the other PC's
>>
>>52658251
>tfw my character's family are ghosts living in a rock he occasionally beats things to death with
>>
>>52658198
With or Without UA invocations?
>>
>>52657868
> bring more paper than the DM
Not having all data in 1 page is a mistake
>>
>>52658273
I can dig it.
My DM will probably use my family against me at some point. He's a cunt like that. I can't wait.
>>
File: SHIT.jpg (41KB, 585x348px) Image search: [Google]
SHIT.jpg
41KB, 585x348px
>>52658283
>MFW I make a nice charsheet with all info displayed in one page.But left no space for backstory.
>>
File: rly.gif (2MB, 500x391px) Image search: [Google]
rly.gif
2MB, 500x391px
>>52658265
>ask for details on bladelock
>talks down about stuff i already know
I play warlock in every game, I understand the power of EB.
>>52658282
No UA,
>>
>>52658236
best races are half-orc, under races and tiefling in my book.

something about a humble tiefling that isn't wow I must stop everyone and brag right now my character is special and he wants you to know it or my character wouldn't have anything to say he's just standing back and watching in a corner.

a regular joe who is talkative yet never has anything of worth to say.
your backstory can be as special as you like but you don't have to make your personality supa special.

with orcs I just like being an idiot with a lot of combat wisdom and has the gift of the gab despite speaking like a chav.
yes all orcs are orks.
>>
>>52658319
>i play warlock in every game

So like, masochistic or what? The only thing warlocks are good for is as a dip class for paladin and sorcerer
>>
File: tumblr_ly08lhmdM41r2uzyoo1_1280.png (508KB, 853x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ly08lhmdM41r2uzyoo1_1280.png
508KB, 853x1280px
>>52658159
i'd like dragonborns if they weren't so fucking awful in 5e, but no.

i'd just like more people playing fucking humans, i think no one at my table every played a dwarf or a normal elf, everyone is some sort of special snowflake furry demon shit or what not, with one token human.

but then they say i'm a special snowflake for wanting to play an alien abomination, fuck them.
>>
>>52658319
Without UA the Bladelock can deal like +1 Average damage on an EBlock.

In exchange for more invocations, having to be within 5 feet, being MAD and loosing the awesome pushback. It's just not good without the Hexblade and new Invocations.

Also play something else because everybody hates that weird guy who plays nothing but the same edgy class. Trust me, everyone else thinks it's weird.
>>
Give me good music or ambience for an evil ritual guys
>>
>>52658346
Im not a munchkin? i am not baited by LE MAX DAMAGE PER ROUND meme. its a roleplaying game not an RTS
I really like the flavor of warlock and patrons can add a lot, Subquests, a Villain, an ally, and shit like that is great fun if you are good with your DM
>>
>>52658319
if you play warlock every game (which is fine btw warlock is one of my favorate classes and I play fighter every game.) why haven't you given up on bladelock? does your DM disarm you constantly?
pact of chain is 100x more entertaining and it's actually useful.

what your asking is basicly the same as asking "how do I make a monk of four elements not complete trash" the only anwser is pick anything else.
>>
>>52658380
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBRAkpXTmCs
>>
>>52658334
>something about a humble tiefling

Thats exactly why i dont get why people hate the tiefling paladin thing.
>>
>>52658283
i play from my laptop, irl. suck my dick, i don't care.
>>
I'll be honest, I really like this general.
Half the charm is that it's actually useful, and the other is a sovereign-glued mess of paper, forcecages, giant apes, playable mindflayers, barovian plate armor and dandwiki.
>>
File: 1476086162368.png (220KB, 428x655px) Image search: [Google]
1476086162368.png
220KB, 428x655px
>>52658385
>damage per round
>RTS
>>
>>52658334
I like Orcs and yeah PC Orcs should always be Orks. Halflings are my personal favorite.

Mostly because the 2e book about them and Gnomes gave good fluff and I love Slings.
>>
>>52658426
maximize that APM, anon. Your micro could use some serious work.
>>
File: 21f1428b73fe4757a37cdaba8aff8e60.jpg (456KB, 1229x1536px) Image search: [Google]
21f1428b73fe4757a37cdaba8aff8e60.jpg
456KB, 1229x1536px
>>52658423
>playable mindflayers
woah, i can't believe i made it to this list. i don't even flaypost on every thread.
>>
While we're talking about shitty Tieflings, I'll go ahead and share my story of how I took a deep dive into full edge for my evil Tiefling fiendlock character

>human child that was bartered off to a devil for power, became corrupted into tiefling
>raised by said devil, became warlock with him as patron
>goes adventuring to find mother to exact that sweet ironic vengeance by killing her with the powers she bartered for
>during the search gets tangled up in a wager between his patron and a high-ranking angel and has to fight and kill four members of what can only be described as a paladin sentai squad
>eventually finds mother, kills her good with maximum edge
>forfeits fight, causing patron to lose wager and become neutered
>convinces the angel to purify him, making him human and thus unrecognizable
>can now feign ignorance and get out of all deals that were made to get to current point

It was the most perfectly executed revenge scheme I have ever seen.
>>
>>52658426
>>52658454

'scuse my retardation, TBS

>>52658386
played an agent of an elder god (manipulated by beholders) as someone who traveled with TOME to gather knowledge and understanding to pass on to the elder god as it was waking up

Played a human fey pact warlock who was a scoundrel basically. had master of many faces, Actor feat, and a sprite FAMILIAR. He would gamble, using his invisible sprite to spy on cards, use suggestion and stuff to make everyone go all in when he had better hands, and when he got kicked out he would round the corner, change face and voice, and go back in. He was an amazing spy and a fantastic sabeteur.

I want to play a bladelock now. don't know why everyone says I can't have fun that way. I know its bad, still wan't to play it tho.
>>
>>52658346
>warlocks are useless
that's a meme

warlocks are more than decent ritualists and they make good toolbox especially if your party doesnt already have a spellcaster.

they're not the best in combat, especially gameplay wise where they tend to not do much more than spam eldritch blast because it is the clear, better option for them.

doesnt make a character that can talk any language, have 5 different cantrips at lvl3, and is charisma-based (and therefore pretty good at social encounters) with easy access to Deception&Persuasion an "useless" character.
>>
>>52658296
This I never understood, the farthest I'd go is there is an attack on the city they live in to drive the party forward in a race against time.

Why is it that DMs feel they need to use families and put them in such a shitty situation that surviving is slim to none? I've seen so many DMs do it and never understood the reason.
>>
>>52658477
well what class is he now then?
>>
>>52658540
Because it's easy.
>>
>>52658349
The problem is I can see most of the special snowflakes traveling in a group and not being murdered on sight without metagaming. A mindflayer I can not see in that situation unless it is nothing but mindflayers and either slaves or convenient allies.
>>
File: Random citizen.png (43KB, 222x220px) Image search: [Google]
Random citizen.png
43KB, 222x220px
>>52658475
That's what makes this place nice.
I know illithid-anon is here, and he posts, but it isn't just another flavor of kitsuneposting.
It's more like an injoke that just shitty memes.
>>
>>52658540
See, I don't think he'd put them in danger.
I think he'd try to make the wife cuck me or some shit while I'm out adventuring. In which case I'd go full CE, kill her, and then run away with the kid.
>>
>>52658511
>I know its bad, still wan't to play it tho.
then don't ask for recommendations and just play it. you won't like anything we could tell you, and nothing you do would make it work, so if you already know this why bother asking?
>>
>>52658548
Undying Light Warlock, which isn't too much of a difference all things considered.
>>
>>52658582
Look him dead in the eye and say
>If you bring any of that magical realm shit into this I will flip this table on top of you.
>>
Why is Monk not a great combo to multiclass with Moon Druid?

Step of the wind, bonus action unarmed strikes and dash, and unarmored defense being something you could potentially apply to your wild shapes.
>>
>>52658574
yeah, i've felt like that about many generals through time, this being the latest one. i still answer questions and give advice, but when you know something have gone stale, a bit of braineating fun is always good to pick back the pacing.
>>
>>52658516
people are retards who think that if you don't play druid, cleric, paladin, wizard, sorccerer that you are useless. the only real useless class is monk in my books and even then there are a few UA that make them god tier.

warlocks are straight baller in my books they can do everything and they have ablities that makes roll playing really fun.

btw do warlocks all have glowing eyes.
in my campaign I've made it so fey have pink eyes, fiend have orange eyes, old one has black eyes, undying have grey eyes and undying light have yellow eyes.

the only way they can stop their eyes glowing is to disguse their face.
is this the correct way or super gay?
>>
>>52658296
I expected this as well even though my character hated his family. He did love them and tried to help them out but didn't like being around them. Also the whole family was a bunch of inbred Wizards.

Instead he made my Character's brother dropout of his school and become an evil overlord Necromancer and we had to fight him. Was actually pretty fun.
>>
>>52658632
This comes from me wanting to make a Maoi-esque character, knowing I'll invariably have to do Moon Druid, and noticing that if I do protector Aasimar (great race for Moon Druids, as physical stats are imaterial) I'll be able to grow wings and fly in my bear form, which is nothing short of stupendous
>>
>>52658597
I'd suggest you made him level 1 but give him something as a reward for the great story. it's not often PC's do something that intresting without you forcing them into it. let him keep his HP and everything he has but lower his max spell level and invocations and force him to relearn all his spells save his cantrips. he is after all getting his power from a whole new source.
>>
>>52658641
>they have ablities that makes roll playing really fun
It's roleplaying. They're not great at roll playing.
>>
>>52658641
>An even then the UA makes them good

Hardly

The monk is perfectly fine as per the PHB if you avoid four elements

It's just very restrictive in what viable builds are.

Kensai is just a lame 'You deal more damage' buff which isn't your role anyway, and tranquility is actually kinda nice for heals but more of a sidegrade. Drunken master is just stupid.
>>
File: 1486583550491.gif (313KB, 300x182px) Image search: [Google]
1486583550491.gif
313KB, 300x182px
>>52658694
>The monk is perfectly fine as per the PHB if you avoid four elements
>>
>>52658632
Getting an appreciable amount of features from either class prevents you from getting an appreciable amount of features and ASIs from the other. A one level dip into Monk is fine if you just want great AC, but the other features require ki and if you're getting a meaningful amount of ki then your Druidness suffers too much to be worth it.

Unfortunately, there's not really ever going to be a good time to stop taking Druid levels in most games since your spellcasting continuously improves over the levels you're likely to reach.
>>
>>52658694
Kensai effectively becomes an incredibly mobile and accurate GWM or Sharpshooter who can also do great control.

>>52658707
Name what the specific parts of the monk that are bad.
>>
>>52658670
he thinks that invocations don't add a whole new world of possiblities 100% of the time the best character in any game I DM is a warlock.
>>
>>52658726
>Name what the specific parts of the monk that are bad.
I'm just foolin around
Open Hand w/ Mobile feat is p. fun
>>
Sorcerers should have always been Constitution casters. they draw energy from their birth and bodies are tainted with magic. Clearly Constitution as they channel with no knowledge nor force of personality.
>>
>>52658726
No more mobile than any other monk.

Seriously, kensai could have said 'By picking this archetype, all your attacks are +3 to hit and attack' and literally nothing else and it would be pretty much like kensai is right now.
>>
>>52658707
Don't leave parts out.
Avoid four elements and about 90% of builds. And then it's fine.

Focus on getting mobile + as much wis/dex as possible and decent con, and don't play like a tank, use all your ki on stunning strike except otherwise sparingly.
>>
>>52658769
The real draw is getting +20 damage a round with GWM, doing more damage then a DEX fighter will be able to match and avoiding the -5 Attack penalty with +3.

It's basically "Monk: the Damager".
>>
>>52658669
I would have been fine just going back to zero entirely, but there's still one or two more sessions left in the campaign for the big final showdown and the party is already running low without one of their members dropping out completely, so this is just so we can complete the campaign
>>
>>52655359
Me too.
>>
>>52658783
The real trick is taking your first level as Fighter, wearing armor, and using a weapon. Play at all times like you're a Fighter, except now you can also Dodge whenever you want, run marathons, and stun people. Also take the Shadow archetype.
>>
>>52651491
If you want to carry in CoS be a Lawful Good Devotion Paladin
>>
>>52658789
It's hardly+20 damage a round, but if I find a chart somewhere...
I actually put all this damage on a graph to work out what's OP and what's not, soon after it came out because RAW it took out your normal attacks.

Target AC: 15
Assuming each monk has 18 strength, monks are at level 5:
Normal monk damage: 16.55
Normal monk flurry: 21.6
Normal kensei damage: 20.05
Normal kensei GWM damage: 23.4
Normal kensei flurry (non-gwm): 25.1
Normal kensei +2 AC : 17.6
Normal kensei +2 AC GWM: 19.7

Basically, it's about +40% damage. But monks don't really do a lot of damage anyway. Or, +survivability and +20% damage or so.
Really though, kensei as a class archetype is a shit execution. For the most part it's just 'You deal more damage / have higher AC' and that's literally it. Not interesting at all. You could already do something like this by multiclassing fighter and monk.
>>
>>52651889
Duergar sell plate
The CoS plate is a +2 so stop complaining
You go to tons of cities in HotDQ so stop complaining
>>
>>52658570
to my defense, the entire character was built around passing unnoticed as it was an exile with a bounty on its brain. i had (have) the entire character's backstory down and made my autistic research to try to justify everything but never showed it to the dm, he has his right to turn down anything for whichever reason he wants and i can live with that.

if anything, as the campaign was set in the underdark, he was more worried about we getting to close to a mind flayer colony and my character going rogue on the party's ass, which of course, was completely under his control but he didn't want to make any effort at all.

in the end, that's what hurts me the most about my current group, we are all long time friends before getting to play this, but we are all set on very different goals about what are we trying to get out of it.

the dm basically wrote every other character's backstory rather than fitting them into his story and let other players play their own snowflake shit for whichever reason, while telling me, "why don't you play a normal character?". rubbed me off and so i'll remain salty for the rest of time.
>>
>>52658844
At levels maybe 10+, fightermonk is pretty much just regular monk but worse.

At most relevant levels (9 and below), it's not bad for a survivability boost, but you're no longer fast and you're pretty much a fighter that does less damage but can stun bitches around the clock.
>>
>>52658899
Yeah, Kensai need something better in it's pummel that can actually be interesting. I do think it feels the spot for a damage Monk that should probably have, too many people don't understand the Monk can control people and hit and run.
>>
>>52658757
Thematically that shit makes sense to a degree, but for some reason Wizards think Con affecting your health every level is enough to warrant it not being useful at all for everything else.
Like, surely they could've made a skill, in a similar vein to athletics or acrobatics at the very least

>>inb4 bsrbarians, I know but that still is coupled with Dex and can be supplemented with shields
>>
>>52658844
That's huh... I had never considered that.

You lose Unarmored Movement, Unarmored Defense and Martial Arts, but the latter two don't matter at all since you can just use weapons and armor normally, and Stunning Strike is a better use of Ki than Flurry of Blows.
>>
Anyone have any positive experiences with actually tracking carry weight? I want to run an old school dungeon crawly campaign, but I'm unsure if the autism of all the resource management will be enjoyable to players.
>>
>plate requires 16 strength
why?

lets agree that 20 strength is twice the strength of a regular human for the sake of argument
does a person really need to me 50% stronger than an average joe to move in plate armor?

isn't armor meant to be for regular people?
sure only knights and nobles used it but why would anyone use it if you had to be strong as hell to wear it.

do they not know how light armor actually is.
not to mention why the hell is a half plate medium armor?
are full greaves really that heavy that it requires you to need 6 extra strength to use?
do they really think this helps balance plate when plate is the most expensive piece of equipment you can buy save plate armor for a horse?
>>
>>52658039
Holy shit, is this true?
Has the Nuclear Druid just gotten more retarded?
>>
>>52659034
characters in plate are doing 2-4 attacks(swinging a sword, axe, w/e) and moving up to 30 ish feet, ALL WITHIN 6 SECONDS. Regular humans in our world couldn't even stand up on their own in plate
>>
>>52659034
So Dexterity and Caster characters don't get the best AC on top of everything else.

It's just a game rule made for balance and has zero baring with the real world.
>>
>>52658992
Fuck carry weight, just have the PCs describe where they put their loot and make them keep track of it.
>>
>>52659054
Nope. Aasimar ability is worded like Lore Wizard and Stone Sorcerer, the extra damage is apply to the target not add to spell damage roll.
>>
>>52658992
well as long as you only limit it to travel speed and not combat speed it works well.
if you say each character drops their pack before combat and then every once in a blue moon theives will flank and grab the packs it adds new elements to combat.

it is fun managing weight based on traveling seeing as some PC's like to be a walking army with a maul a heavy crossbow a battering ram and tent so it really limits that without a horse which is a good thing. I think the encumbered weight is too low but heavly encumbered is quite fair.

recap
traveling yes it's fine
combat no.
it's like collecting arrows. don't force them to say it everytime a person who gets into fights all the time wouldn't forget to do something like that
>>
>>52658992
I've yet to test anything out, but currently what I'm planning for my own dungeoncrawling thing is that to access dungeons people have to pass through a barrier which already requires a slight money input to cross (Keeps monsters from leaking out and terrorizing everyone, but also means party can't just walk out of the dungeon for a long rest all the time without a penalty) and also means they can't just take a wagonful of goods in.

But I don't want to overcomplicate carrying capacity, but I also want strength to be actually relevant.
So, the idea is that each person gets a number of 'inventory slots'. They get a base number, then having more strength increases it, or a feature like bear barbarian's level 6 gives them more slots.
Each slot would carry one 'heavy'/large item (Say, a shield?), a few smaller items you can bundle together (Say, a bunch of heavy books?) or could maybe be a pile of trinklets (Rings, needles, low-weight things).

I'll probably need to give rough weight values like 'heavy' items are a certain weight or above, medium items are all 1-8lbs each and bundled into the same weight as a light heavy item, light items are all 1 lb or less, etc. But otherwise I think it should make carrying things actually not just a massive mathematical mess.

Also, allowing players to take whatever they want in regardless of monetary cost. Want to take in a pile of bombs? Sure, you're an adventurer and are assumed to afford it, if you have inventory space.
>>
New thread >>52659105
>>
>>52658992
The only way to make it fun is to have some random puzzle or something. or getting treasure out
>>
>>52659034
Are you talking about 5e? You don't need STR to use heavy armor. You only need it to not be slow down (-10 movement), which isn't even a problem if you are always on a mount like a real knight.
>>
>>52659064
other than paladins and fighters no one can use heavy armor, isn't that fair enough already.
can't a dex fighter get plate armor?

>>52659062
how think do you think plate armor is? it's like 2mm thick. that's not heavy. they're not even as ridged as people imply either.
>>
>>52651231
Is fucking with class availability based on the setting ever ok? I am thinking banning bards, druids, paladins, sorcerers and using a non-magical ranger variant, just due to having a low-magic setting where the magic available mainly belongs to the rare and elusive mystics and hermetic practitioners, represented by clerics, warlocks and wizards.

Everything else is pretty much available.
>>
>>52659185
Because then there's no reason at all to go Strength over a Sharpshooter Fighter. Literally none.

Also most Clerics get heavy armour.
>>
>>52659194
>wants to emphasize low-magic setting
>allows pc wizards and clerics

i dont believe this will have the intended effect
>>
>>52659194
Adventurers are supposed to be exceptional individuals. Just because mages are rare doesn't mean you have to get rid of them entirely.

It's fine, but you should make sure your players are okay with it because that really sounds like 'I'm trading fun for realism in my setting' which is something you should avoid. Realism can be good, but don't go 'no fun allowed' in order to persue it.
>>
>>52659194
It's not really low magic at that point.

If you want to make a game really low magic I'd only allow Wizards and Favored Souls out of spellcasting options. Always ask if players are actually willing to play.
>>
>>52658198
>maximize a standard array Tiefling Bladelock of the Field?
You don't. You've already decided on your character, and it is an intentionally weak choice.

Maybe you can be a feral abyssal tiefling for +2dex and +1con and focus on being a prickly off-tank.
>>
>>52658198
Don't listen to the retarded anon. I'll help you, my friend.

But first, we need to know what level you begin play at.
>>
>>52659259
>>52659221
I suppose "low magic" is the wrong term. 'Specific-magic'?
>>
>>52659635
I can see what you're going for with it. Personally I'd remove Warlock as well and roll the all of Sorcerer/Cleric/Warlock ways of getting power into the Cleric. It's power that's given to you by something bigger weather it's a demon, a god or a dragon.
>>
>>52659254
Well, I am keeping 3 casters around, not banning mages altogether, just trying to thematically keep what a mage is pretty specific. I can see how this might not be everyone's cup of tea though, especially if all of one's desired classes are in the list.
>>
>>52659679
I see what you're saying, thats a pretty cool paradigm. Although I do like the archetype of a scholarly/academic type of mage, and dragons are mostly extinct in this setting - though something else could take their place.
>>
>>52657887
Got it.
>>
>>52659185
>other than paladins and fighters no one can use heavy armor, isn't that fair enough already.
In a world without strength requirement on heavy, 100% of munchkins would put their first level in fighter or a heavy armor cleric instead of 75%
>>
File: 5e Inventory Tracking Sheet.pdf (904KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
5e Inventory Tracking Sheet.pdf
904KB, 1x1px
>>52658992
It works pretty well.
>>
What's a Big Good I could have my party encounter? Bonus points for jungle theme.

My evil players are itching for a redemption arc.
>>
>>52652425
Suggestion doesn't work that way.
Suggesting things attack their allies is the only 5e meme more egregious and wrong than "surprise round."
When I DM and a player tries to use it that way, I start making enemies secretly cast it until the PC fails its save against "Go to the nearby mine and buy 5 pounds of asbestos then smoke it."
Then I just explain to the group that the PC wandered off. Then his character has a few weeks of in-game time before it dies of cancer - I don't mention this part. But when he does die, I say it was from cancer, and his PC caught it when he tried to use Suggestion to tell an enemy to murder its ally in the middle of a fight.
Thread posts: 439
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.