[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you rate Abed in Community as a DM ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: abed.jpg (15KB, 325x300px) Image search: [Google]
abed.jpg
15KB, 325x300px
How would you rate Abed in Community as a DM ?
>>
>>52642404
Brilliant, but somewhat frustrating at times. Basically like every M. Night Shyamalan film up to and including Signs, ignoring everything after that.
>>
In Advanced Dungeons & Dragons he literally let one of the players split off from the group and ran back and forth so they could play separately, then let them torment another character in a way that would hurt the player OOC.

Which is to say, he's dedicated but kind of a pushover in the face of the biggest That Guy imaginable.

I would play with him, given the right group. Which is to say, given the study group minus Pierce.
>>
>>52642404
Pretty good. Willing to allow for unforseen consequences and prepared with plenty of contingencies.
>>
Speaking of TV, how would you judge other presentations of DnD in other shows?
>>
>>52642404
0/10 didn't crack down on Pierce's blatant metagaming.
>>
>>52642663
Freaks and Geeks had the best DnD episode.
>>
>>52642767
>le carlos and musics
fuck off
>>
>>52642404
He's terrible, obviously. That's the joke.
>>
>>52642404
Bit of a control freak, but he really gets into the game.
>>
>>52642404
>allowed and responded to ERP
>placated ThatGuy and adhered too strongly to the rules rather than putting his foot down when Pierce was being completely fucking out of line
>being Abed past season 1
0/10 get the fuck out of my house.
>>
Which module were they running with the red dragon?
>>
File: tumblr_n2rcimhSYU1rd1qi0o1_400.gif (957KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n2rcimhSYU1rd1qi0o1_400.gif
957KB, 400x225px
>>52644936
Oh like you wouldn't ERP with Annie
>>
File: Community[1].jpg (48KB, 718x405px) Image search: [Google]
Community[1].jpg
48KB, 718x405px
>>52645150
>>
>>52642404
>>52644936
I've only seen the first one, but considering they were trying to empower the one guy to not kill himself and nothing would get done by just letting him do shit, so it's possible that he could be letting Pierce do metashit to power up and prove to be a more powerful enemy to overcome. With the ERP he's probably hardline on acting out stuff rather than doing rolls, so if anything he probably wouldn't let them advance WITHOUT ERP.
>>52645202
The Caverms of Draoomls, thanks.
>>
>>52645228
Caverns of Draconis.

(Not a real module, apparently.)
>>
>>52645169
That's not the-

Goddamn, she's so fucking hot you're right.
>>
>>52645244
Well that's disappointing. What do they play in the second D&D episode?
>>
>>52645282
Home brew to allow that teacher and his son to reconnect
>>
>>52642404
0/10. He rolled for the players what the fuck
>>
>>52642487
pierce was the only one who took it seriously, and fat neil should have been allowed to kill himself
>>
>>52645612
RAW
>>
>>52645419
>trusting anyone in community not to try and fudge their roles

Rolling for them was the smartest decision he made.
>>
>>52642713
This. Pierce read tons of manuals and source materials to gain knowledge his character didn't have and use it in-game.
>>
>>52645612
Nah, Pierce meta-games the entire time.
>>
>>52645419
Have you watched Harmonquest? It's a cartoon that follows Dan Harmon's (the main writer of Community) DnD group (and a guest player) playing a campaign.

They did have one guest (Thomas Middleditch) who actually plays RPGs and he brought his own dice and rolled for himself. Dan asked the GM if he'd ever heard of the players rolling for themselves and the GM had to explain to him that that's what almost every other group does. Harmon seemed genuinely shocked to find this out.

So, basically, the writer's DnD group actually does play like that and he didn't know that it was unusual.
>>
>>52645169
More so than you could imagine.
>>
>>52645718
Yeah but he's playing fucking Pathfinder in that too so wgasa
>I really like Thomas Middleditch in that episode
>I find him annoying af everywhere else
>>
>>52645718
Except that group didn't form until over three years after this episode aired. It's just a lack of research, or it's intentional because watching everyone roll dice for 22 minutes would be boring as fuck and, besides, none of the characters besides Abed and maybe Chang would even own dice.
>>
>>52645773
Correction - it was more like 1 year, not 3.
>>
>>52645761
I have always really liked Middleditch. Got to see him live in February, improving a Shakespearean play. It was dope (and I don't even like Shakespeare)

>>52645773
I think that he's always had that GM though. Having the players roll wouldn't take any longer than him rolling, except that they'd have to call out numbers. And I could totally see Abed being the type who has a fishing box full of dice.
>>
>>52645813
*improvising a Shakespearean play
>>
>>52645813
>he's always had that GM

No, he didn't even meet Spencer until he showed up to one of his podcasts. Completely serendipitous meeting.
>>
Solid atmospherics, strong on mechanics. Very weak on names.

Joseph Gordon Diehard
>>
>>52642404
Impossible to rate because sitcom reality is different from reality reality. If we judge by the standards of reality^2 then he's a shitty GM for allowing blantant metagaming, bullshit PvP, and so forth. By sitcom reality? I'm not sure. I guess you make allowances for the meta-gaming as a plot contrivance. The PvP shit, and following the rules strictly even when it screws up the game both seem core to Abed's character though, so those count against him. Also, he doesn't exactly put a lot of personality into his game. So I guess that going by sitcom reality, he's middling.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.