[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Dungeon Master Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 392
Thread images: 51

File: unearthed-arcana_large.jpg (189KB, 970x550px) Image search: [Google]
unearthed-arcana_large.jpg
189KB, 970x550px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Downtime
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_Downtime.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Starter spells
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/db43d70dde08

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

DMs: How many, if any, of the UA's do you allow in your campaigns? How is it?
Players: Are you running or using anything from any of the UA's? How's is it?
>>
why are you already starting a new thread you druid
>>
So is it just me or does the wording for Tunnel Fighter make it work with Ranged Spell Attacks as well?
>>
File: literally me.jpg (46KB, 401x496px) Image search: [Google]
literally me.jpg
46KB, 401x496px
If anyone's looking for a player hmu @ Pooch
>>
File: Druid.jpg (334KB, 876x800px) Image search: [Google]
Druid.jpg
334KB, 876x800px
Druids are chill bros
>>
>>52642338
Fuck I meant Close Quarters Shooter
>>
Just a friendly reminder that surprise round doesn't exist in 5e.
>>
>>52642367
They don't, and using surprise turns makes you a bad DM.
>>
>>52642367
But friendly reminder it makes sense for most DMs to put it in their game anyways, as otherwise sneaking into situations provides no benefit over a bum-rush to flank.
>>
Resubmitting cause new thread.

Anyone know how to get a higher rez version?
>>
>>52642338
>>52642356
Yes. If it just says "ranged attack" and not "ranged weapon attack" it works on all ranged attacks.
>>
>>52642384
you still get unseen attacker and other benefit.
>>
>>52638487

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93lrosBEW-Q

Well y'know Ah haven't always been this large
Ah was a wee little lass once
Now ye see Ah'm roughly the size of a barge
Ah'm now corpulent, babies...

So Annam wants to tear down the Ordnung
An' change the way things are down here?
Well that's a craic an' Ah'll give it mah best shot
And so you see
Ah've made mahself

Hefty!
So that Annam cannae help but look and see
Ah'm the biggest 'cause Ah'm so
Hefty!
An' Ah'm just about as big as Ah can be
Can't ye see?
Don't you know?

Me kin are dumb, dumb, dumb
They bring all the food in the land (it's sad)
Oh, and here they come, come, come
To the biggest, smartest giant
Mmm, screw diets!
Ah just love free food (free food)
Even if it's wee food (wee food...)

[Players do stuff and get ready to challenge Guh directly]

Well, well, well...
Seems the wee ones are much tougher than they look
Yer all wriggly-niggly little tag-nuts
Och! I nae believe what Ah'm seein'
Forget the cook, fer now
Ah'll take care a' this mahself

But Ah have ta' give ye credit yer part
An' makin' me get up an' fight ye
Right! Get ye ready 'cause Ah'm commin' in mah cart
Yeah it moves, Ah'm not quite that

Hefty!
It's a work in progress so don't ye judge me
Pretty soon ye know Ah'll be more
Hefty!
Then the All-Father will take a shinin' ta me
An then we'll see

Adventuerers!

Ye can try, try, try
But unless ye weigh 'bout twenty tons
Yer crushed by mah buns (give it up!)
An ye will die, die, die
An then ye know Ah'll gobble you
Maybe in a stew

Annam the All-Father's watchin' me
Now he will see the hill giants
Are as big as can be
The Storm King is gone
Long live the great Chief Guh!

Mortals!
Ye look like tasty
Morsels!
Even to someone so

Hefty!
Soak it in 'cause it's the last ye'll ever see
C'est la vie mon ami, Ah'm so
Hefty!
Now I'll eat ye so prepare yer final plea
Just fer me

Ye'll never be quite as hefty
Ye wish ye were big and hefty...
>>
>>52642384
What's insufficient about the current mechanics for surprise that a "surprise round" would fix? It sounds like you're just being picky over wording.
>>
File: LukeF_TXT.png (8MB, 2233x2989px) Image search: [Google]
LukeF_TXT.png
8MB, 2233x2989px
All of my party members have people who want revenge/after them in their character backgrounds. One character died and was betrayed by the party (left behind in a trap), but since he was a warlock and his patron is known to bring back his servants.. I thought I was going to make use of him - and go about rounding up all of their nemeses since he knows about them all.
>>
>>52642384
how many players have rolled their eyes at you when you say "whoops they was in bush surprises xDDD"

shit DM
>>
>>52642384
flank also doesn't exist in normal 5e rule. No one want 3.5e congoline.
>>
File: Pitcher does not understand.png (1MB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Pitcher does not understand.png
1MB, 683x1024px
>>52642421
And that picture was chosen because...
>>
>>52642437
>No one want 3.5e congoline
It was in 4e too. "Strategy"
>>
>>52642450
> conga line
> strategy
>>
>>52642402
In case you can't tell from the context of the song, I'm going to be changing Chief Guh's boss fight...substantially. Due to her immense fat, she essentially has immunity to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. She's also going to be mobile, thanks to her cart being magical and able to move under its own power thanks to a secondary magical trait of Guh's conch.

However, the cart itself can still be attacked, and her head is not so invulnerable as her body (it doesn't have immunity or resistance at all).

Basically she's turned into a singing Zelda boss.
>>
>>52642402
Running CoS and I want to incorporate he backgrounds of the PCs in the story. One player is a druid seeking a source of evil causing disturbances to nature, which should be easy to incorporate in CoS with the Yesterhill subplot.

The other PCs, I'm kind of struggling with though, one is Tiefling, who wants to know more about her family that abandoned her, and another is a historian who basically just wants to learn shit.
Any ideas on how to tie this shit in to CoS? Should I even try? I'd feel kind of bad if I only tied one character's backstory into the plot.
>>
Would making Savage Attacker work with all on-hit effects like Sneak Attack, Smite and Maneuvers make it better and maybe even worth it?
>>
>>52642379
>>52642431
Don't your players get taken out of the game a little when they're told no one in the entire setting uses stealth?

Surprise is a perfectly reasonable thing for both DMs and players to use.
>>
>>52642127
Gunsmith is shit.
Play a ranged rogue and refluff attacks as guns.
>>
We did the last dungeon in The Lost Mines of Phandelver today in my Encounters group.

Holy SHIT that was fun. We were in the forge room, fighting the Fire Skull, and we finally managed to kill it after I used Turn Unholy on the eight skeletons it was commanding. We took an hour rest, and the other Paladin took an hour to examine the skull and figure out what it was. The DM ruled that our hour break ended one second before it came back to life and attacked us again. I grabbed it and threw it into the smelter, where the Ogre jelly had been waiting the entire time, and we let them fight it out while we readied melee attacks. When it flew out, we started it hitting it like a line of T-Ball players and poured holy water on it.

That was fucking fun. I love this game so much.
>>
Can you be a member of the Zhentarim and not be explicitly evil?
>>
File: yuno#$%^&*()!@::{.jpg (749KB, 1047x620px) Image search: [Google]
yuno#$%^&*()!@::{.jpg
749KB, 1047x620px
What alignment are you in real life? CE here
>>
>>52642495
Or, you know. I could just play the class I want to play instead of something different with heavy refluffing.

I don't particularly mind if it's weaker.
>>
>>52642466
why it was in quotes come on legally blind nigga
>>
>>52642367
What's the difference between a surprise round and a starting round where the the enemies get turns but can't move or take an action?
>>
>>52642512
Lawful-elevator with no brakes on crack.
I do good, I do bad, It changes with how im feeling but I always stick to my code of ethics and honor.
>>
>>52642315
Running a Glamour Bard

Was gonna do more of an enchanter david bowie thing but it's actually got some okay combat stuff
>>
>>52642512
Almost everyone is True Neutral, because we live for ourselves and not an ideology or creed.
>>
>>52642486
Stealth to maneuver not to attack.
>>
>>52642517
>Heavy refluffing
>Using a gun with crossbow stats is heavy refluffing
>A thief doing artificery things is heavy refluffing
>>
>>52642543
Personally, if an option already exists for something I'm going to use it over reflufing something else because "It's better".

If you want to focus on being powerful, doing damage and being the best you can then that's fine. I would rather play an Artificer.
>>
File: OUTCAST (1).pdf (44KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
OUTCAST (1).pdf
44KB, 1x1px
>sweating_man.jpg
First self-made setting for a one-shot that if it latches, will get worked on.

Feedback welcome
>>
>>52642536
>Not going by 5e 'alignment is a rough indicator of personality' rules
>Not saying 'everybody is chaotic evil because we live for ourselves and not an ideology or creed'.
>>
>>52642580
The only thing an AT rogue doesn't have that a gunsmith artificer gets really is ...

Uhh, assuming your DM actually gives you magic items sometimes, nothing.
>>
>>52642623
>>52642580
Oh, right, I guess the only real major benefit is the level 6 mechanical thing.

Honestly, the problem with artificer is they rely too much on that level 6 feature.
>>
File: tumblr_ocq1lw2Uoc1th6mw1o1_1280.jpg (104KB, 640x465px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ocq1lw2Uoc1th6mw1o1_1280.jpg
104KB, 640x465px
reposting
>>52642128
>tame it as a pet
this won't ever work, just let the diviner leads them into the mind flayer's trap, and let them all reroll after the inevitable TPK.
>>
>>52642591
Chaotic Evil is an ideology. The creed to do harm, even at cost.

True Neutral is the only one where you're not sticking to something like butter. LG is someone with a code to help, NG is someone who enjoys helping however feels needed, CG is someone who helps in any way possible, LN is someone who lives by the letter of the law, CN is someone who does whatever they want in spite of the law, LE is someone who uses their creed to justify doing bad, NE is someone who does bad whenever they think it will help them, and CE is covered already. Whereas straight N is doing what is good for you, while following laws but not to the point of worship of law.
>>
>>52642581
it's short so it can't be that shitty
>>
File: Not bad, infact I like it.jpg (25KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
Not bad, infact I like it.jpg
25KB, 398x500px
>>52642581
Seems pretty good
>>
File: 1490717135039.png (56KB, 200x168px) Image search: [Google]
1490717135039.png
56KB, 200x168px
>>52642648
>Chaotic Evil is an ideology
Wrong.
>>
>>52642648
Chaotic evil is literally just

'Evil' : You are selfish.
'Chaotic' : You believe in independence, not needing society structures, hierarchy, etc. You don't need an ideology or some theoretical way for everybody to live in utopia together or anything like that, you just live for yourself.

Which is pretty much exactly what you said.
>>
>>52642623
>>52642642
The latter level Gunsmith abilities to to damage in an area, mechanical servant, magic items I can take to make up for abilities I personally lack, being able to attune to more magical items and being able to actually turn spells into items my allies can use.

Arcane Trickster gains stuff like hiding as a bonus action, being able to be really good at Dexterity Saves, being a better skill monkey, seeing while blind and telekinesis.

I'm not saying that the refluff isn't a valid option, just that the things the Artificer has are things I want.
>>
Anyone know where i should start to make essentially undead sun soul monk enemies? the attacks would obviously be necrotic
>>
File: 819a281854-1486725721017.gif (4MB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
819a281854-1486725721017.gif
4MB, 426x426px
Some guy is trying to tell me resurrection spells are trash and should never be taken.

Is he wrong?
>>
>>52642512
lawful bacon, i will dance around both sides of an idea as long as the arguments are internally consistent and/or syntactically correct. if an evil act is logically consistent within the subset of the system, then the act is just. there's no exception for exceptions, if something good needs to be handled through a subset of exceptions then it's not just and will not be pursued, and it might even be condemned.
>>
>>52642728
>bacon
What a meme thing to say.
>>
>>52642719
let him die and wonder that yourself.

i particularly like the idea of permadeath but then you don't get brave enough dms willing to through hyper difficult stuff at you and deal with wiping the party if they fuck it up.
>>
>>52642591
I'd assume religious work would attract more Lawful people than usual. Medicine too. There'd be probably slight tendecies towards lawful-chaotic across different cultures that put more or less emphasis on society vs the individual. Politics at the higher end would likely attract very polarized people with very few Neutrals. Crime would likely attract mostly Chaotic Neutrals.
>>
>>52642719
ask him why first.
make him defend his position before we call him a faggot.
>>
>>52642719
it's kinda trash because you should never die in 5e and if you do then there is revivify (which doesn't give you a penalty, unlike raise dead / resurrection).

It work as a plot device spell though.
>>
>>52642719
>they're trash
yes
>should never be taken
no
>>
>>52642700
Well, I guess. If you really want the AoE at-wills and the mechanical servant and some extra magical item utility, it works.

But really, an AT has similar spellcasting and can cover all the relevant skills and expertise along with being dex+int and all that. If they have crossbow expert they can gimp themself with 'action and then bonus action attack becomes action to do a 2d6+2xDEX +sneak attack attack, bonus action to reload'.

The main problem is that sometimes people aren't in it for the mechanical servant and all the AoE abilities come too late to see much use at all. You also don't really get a lot of powerful magical items, just minor utilities like bag of holding.

In any case, gunsmith needs fixing, but if you're fine with playing a lacking class I guess it works. There's not really much advice to give for gunsmith playing other than 'just stay away and shoot a lot.'
>>
>>52642719
Most resurrection spells are 24 hours+. You can just take revivify and if you need a quick res and switch over to a better one on a rest if it's been longer than that
>>
>>52642734
it comes from the blue and orange morality article at tvtropes, of course it's an awful meme. it somehow stuck at my table after a series of questionable actions in succession from one of my former characters.
>>
>>52642751
I meant medicine would attract more Goods than usual
>>
>>52642751
Yes. Honestly, I expect a range of alignments using 5e's standard of alignement. However, what the guy described is pretty much 'everybody is chaotic evil'.

Almost everybody in the world is rather conscious of what others think about them.
>>
>>52642719
For 5e, unless your DM is extremely brutal, revivify is all you'll want for the 'instant death' abilities. Other than that, you're fine.
>>
>>52642798
Medicine would also attract more lawfuls than usual, because, to be honest, the people who get involved in higher education are the sort that'll appreciate society, as society often works in their favour/they're educated and aren't the 'FUCK THE POLICE' type. They also have quite a lot of legal stuff they have to follow, anyway, and if they couldn't handle that then they wouldn't be a trustworthy doctor.
>>
>>52642784
I do also agree that Artificer has quite a few issues with it but to be honest one of the main reasons I want to avoid Arcane Trickster is because I played one in a small campaign recently. Plus I like the idea of a character more focused about Magical Items over actual Magic.

I personally think the Artificer should've been a half-caster who can only cast with their infusions so they have to plan out what they'll likely need. They seem not to be fond of making players plan stuff in 5e so I doubt it'll happen.
>>
>>52642745

I tried that as a substitute DM for a group.

They all really enjoyed it, and since then they are way more into all aspects of the game.

I think almost losing their characters and working real hard together to get out of it (I designed a puzzle-based BBEG encounter), that we all feel much more comfortable to start roleplaying and finding solutions that don't require combat.

I also gave them pretty strong loot as well for compensation.
>>
> DM use sane magical prices
> marvelous pigment is only 200gp

I'm gonna have so much fun...
>>
>>52642857
Well, artificer isn't quite as bad as gunsmith. They only need intellect (though a bit of dex and con is nice), they have the option to use shields, they have a heal that even works on their construct which otherwise is a bit hard to heal, they have at-will utility instead of damage if they want that (thunderstone to knock multiple enemies prone and pushback) and they actually start with more options than the gunsmith, who by level 3 only really has 'shoot gun'.
I wouldn't say an artificer is underpowered if they make good use of their mechanical companion, but really the mechanical companion should be an extra.
>>
>>52642862
>Substituting as DM and potentially killing off characters and then giving strong loot
Seems a bit far to go as a substitute unless the normal DM clears it, but I'm sure you had contact and it was fine.

Still though, it's hard to do brutal combat properly with the normal death save and heal rules, so something like vitality or fighting spirit instead works better.
>>
>>52642367
However, it should exist for the special case where all of one side surprises all of the other side as a means to start combat without initiative being rolled.
>>
File: MercurialMagic.pdf (58KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
MercurialMagic.pdf
58KB, 1x1px
I posted about this a couple threads ago, but here's my first attempt at a mercurial magic table for 5e. I'm also removing offensive damage-dealing cantrips and buffing the rest of the offensive spells (auto-hit, auto-fail saving throws, auto-cast as if two levels higher). Trying to turn my casters from bland, boring cantrip-spammers into the clever-thinking, risk-taking, power-mad wizards that they deserve to be.

Any thoughts
>>
>>52643004
No it shouldn't. /pfg/ please go back.
>>
>>52643075
>It's perfectly okay for people to leave and re-enter combat until they get the initiative they want OR you have to tell them 'No, you're not allowed to do that' even though there really isn't anything stopping them, and such rules should be kept in, say, pathfinder.
No, you go to /pfg/.
>>
>>52642912

I subbed for my usual group, and the GM wanted to play a PC for a few weeks, so a few of us took turns taking side-quest fillers. If that clears it up.

The DM was cool with all of the loot, I let him look over everything and he made his tweaks that he felt were necessary.
>>
>>52642385
What is it?
>>
>>52642421
source/more bbw hentai pls
>>
File: 1468891650165.jpg (28KB, 171x241px) Image search: [Google]
1468891650165.jpg
28KB, 171x241px
>>52643266
No
>>
>>52643208
google tells me it's the city of Hammerfast, from a 4e module.
>>
Here's a theoretical situation.

A fighter5/assassinrogue10 on 1 HP with his buddy, a mastermind rogue who's unarmed, ambushing a monk
>Mastermind: "Okay, I'm going to use the help action on the assassin and then he attacks."
>Assuming that the mastermind helping against the monk would reveal them, they only do it on the first turn
>Everybody rolls initiative
>Monk 20, mastermind 10, assassin 15
>Monk goes first
>Does jack shit, he's surprised, nothing's even happening anyway
>Assassin wants to attack,
>"Do I get advantage from the help action?"
>"No, the mastermind hasn't had the chance to do that yet."
>"Can I wait until he does it?"
>"Yes, but you would lose your second attack from extra attack for attacking when it isn't on your turn."
>"Do I get advantage from assassin's ability?"
>"No, because the monk took a turn, they simply just couldn't take an action or move or use reactions until then.
>"Do I get automatic crits?"
>"No, because the monk is no longer surprised, even though he still doesn't know he's in combat."
>"Okay, we can't kill him in one turn, let's leave combat and try again in a bit."
>"No, that's not allowed."
>"Why aren't we allowed to wait for an opportunity we can actually use our fucking abilities properly? Okay, fine, I shoot."
>"You hit once. Roll damage."
>Damage is rolled.
>The unaware monk uses their reaction to catch arrow, negates the attack entirely since there's no sneak attack or anything, then throws it at rogue. Rogue goes unconscious.
>>
>>52643351
(Cont...)

Alternatively, for this special case where all of one side is surprised (the monk), you could use special surprise round rules.
Instead of rolling initiative, the surprising party can just go in any order they like before the 'true' combat starts.

>Mastermind then uses their turn before other rogue to grant advantage, though honestly it's no longer needed
>Rogue then fires their crossbow at monk, gets all the proper benefits
>Initiative is rolled, monk gets 20, assasin 15, mastermind 10
>Monk then moves, and the players had no idea that the monk would have a 20 for initiative when they chose to attack the monk
>>
>>52643351
Monk can't take reaction until he takes his first action
Fighter/Assasin should have readied an action for after he was helped because sneak attack is a much bigger deal then getting two attacks.
>>
>>52643381

Why would the monk go first? Even if he rolled higher on initiative, he doesn't know anybody is there yet.
>>
>>52643428
The only thing preventing the monk from reacting is surprise, and they can then react after their first turn, which is the turn they're prevented from getting from surprise, so they may use a reaction.
"If you're surprised, you can't move or take an aclion
on your first turn of the combat, and you can't take a
reaction until that turn ends."

>Figher/assassin should have readied an action
Well, yes, sure, they should have, but they're still being denied their extra attack because apparently the two of them can't co-ordinate their turns properly even though they're the ones setting up the ambush.

>>52643441
That's how the rules work. Combat starts, surprsied enemies have a turn but do jack shit on it, and then others move.
>>
>>52643468
>>52643428
Actually, yeah, make it a fighter 11/assassin3 and then they'd really not want to ready an action.
>>
>>52643468
Surprised enemies do not get a turn. Initiative is rolled at the start of combat in case a player fails stealth against passive perception, not to determine surprise round order
>>
>>52642315
I'm currently allowing UA beastmaster ranger for one of my players. They really enjoy it. It doesn't seem too overpowered, but then again none of my players have a good enough knowledge of the system to power game anyway.

I think simply the fact that there is a way for the pet to come back mechanically speaking, it makes players less afraid to actually use the pet. Not to mention, the pets gained a considerable buff.
>>
>>52643481
"If you're surprised, you can't move or take an aclion
on your first turn of the combat, "

Surprised enemies do get a turn, otherwise it wouldn't say 'your first turn of the combat.'
>>
I have to play a Triton in 12 hours can I get some tips?
>>
>>52643495
Does it say anything about bonus action?
>>
>>52642315
What kinds of houserules/DM decisions would increase the importance of tactics, such that the tactics are what win you the fight?
>>
>>52643502
i've never read the class but i gather they are pompous douchebags, so you should be fine.
>>
What's your favorite homebrew from the pastebin list?
>>
>>52643502
What class? What setting? Are you far from home?

If you're away from home you should probably act like it. Did you leave on your own accord? Do you have a mission? Are you used to being away from the sea? Etc. etc.
>>
>>52643495
You get advantage in any situation wherein the surprise round, no matter what class. Assassin's advantage (the thing you're talking about) is there to apply to non-surprised enemies that don't beat your initiative

And since it's a surprise round, assassinate crits proc
>>
File: Plague Wizard.jpg (116KB, 736x1103px) Image search: [Google]
Plague Wizard.jpg
116KB, 736x1103px
So, anybody who's played Warlock, how much of a sucky situation is it to have so few spell slots, especially in the 3-7 level range? Is it worth it to go Tome to maximize your casting potential? Just EB all day long seems a trifle dull, but I love the flavor of the GOO. Is there some invocations to make to approximate being a real caster?
>>
>>52643481
>>52643495
Oh, also, what you're saying there about failing stealth works much better on the proposed 'stealth round' exception, because instead of rolling initiative (Why would you roll initiative 'in case you fail', when you could just roll initiative IF you fail?) you're stuck in a floating 'stealth round' where there is no initiative and you can easily choose to not attack, you're not bounded by the usual combat 6 second round thing where technically the target is unsurprised the round after you've rolled initiative.

Actually, to be more precise, I believe you're supposed to roll stealth the moment you enter combat. This means that you aren't supposed to choose to not shoot after you've rolled initiative. But then, it gives you reasons you don't want to shoot (Such as not getting assassin's ability), but no reason you couldn't then pull out of combat other than 'jeremy crawford says you can't.'

>>52643511
Actually, it doesn't.
>>
>>52643502
What kind of Triton is your character?
Generally they're very "Oh, our aquatic empires are LOADS better than your stuff up here... but that stuff over there is neat, how does that work?" Haughty, but curious is the theme, if I understand it right.

If you really want to get into it, the Common they generally know is very old fashioned (i.e. lots of thy, thee, thou, etc.)
>>
>>52643550
Eldritch Blast is the Warlock's bread and butter. If you're not using it, you're not doing Warlock right.
>>
>>52643550
>Is there some invocations to make to approximate being a real caster

Motherfucker you are a real caster.
>>
>>52643536
>Since it's a surprise round, assassinate crits proc
That's not how it works.
Once the enemy has their turn, they're no longer surprised.
They have their turn first.

>You get advantage in any situation wherein the surprise round
No, I think you're thinking about unseen attackers, which is different. You can surprise an enemy and be visible while attacking. For example, you sneak up to a door where everyone's dining, succeed stealth so nobody hears there's a party of adventurers at the door, then burst through the door and attack everything. You've surprised everybody because they didn't expect combat to be coming, but they can all see you, so you don't get advantage against them.
Of course, I could be wrong because I might've forgotten something but you'd have to find where it specifically says SURPRISE gives you advantage, and not just being unseen.
The rogue in this case may be moving 30ft as part of their turn in front of the monk to fire, because they might not be within the hand crossbow's firing range. This 30ft movement may put them somewhere where the monk sees them.

>Assassin's advantage
It's also there to apply to surprised enemies, evidently.
>>
>>52643102
There aren't rule that allow you to "leave combat" either. So player who did that isn't only being a metagaming faggot but they also cheat at D&D.
>>
So I just found out my DM is going to let Artificers use the new magic item crafting rules but they can do it twice as fast thanks to their level 2 ability.

We do a fair bit of downtime and overland travel while I'll be sitting in the back of a cart. What are the best uncommon items to try and make?
>>
> /pfg/ babbies want their surprise round the thread.
>>
>>52643351
Another Issue with this hypothetical: It's really unlikely that a monk could deflect a (assuming longbow) 2d8+10d6+Dex damage arrow by subtracting 1d10+Monk Levels+Dex and reducing the damage to 0 or lower. Although certainly he could deflect the second arrow or the 3rd or the 4th with action surge
>>
>>52643613
>>52643536
Also evidence for that first point
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/18/how-to-use-assassin-assassinate/

>>52643621
Well, you've telling the player 'If you attack now, you will fucking die' and also saying 'If you don't attack, you're a metagaming faggot'.
That's not fair when you could use a simple rule that doesn't make this the case.

>>52643635
I don't quite recall how surprise rounds used to work, but I'm pretty sure this surprise round doesn't work exactly like how pathfinder's does, so you can stop projecting your pathfinder insecurity, anon.
>>
>>52643621
>There aren't rule that allow you to "leave combat" either.

what

So I run away from a fight and...? I'm still in combat for how long?
>>
>>52643641
>2d8+10d6+Dex damage arrow
As shown above, they've been denied sneak attack, and the other attack missed (they can't deflect both arrows anyway). Thus, it's a 1d8+dex damage arrow which they can very reliably deflect.
And then he can't action surge because he's unconscious.
>>
>>52643556
>Actually, it doesn't.
hol up

So you be sayin that I can rage even if I get surprised?
>>
>>52643550
Be a tomelock and take Book of Ancient Secrets for more versatility. Having Disguise Self/Alter Self or essentially Minor Illusion at-will for rp can be cool too
>>
>>52643673
I mean.. Maybe?

Actually, no.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/26/surprise-on-bonus-action/
>>
>>52643647
Surprise round is 3.pf thing. It doesn't exist in 5e.

> http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/12/18/but-the-surprise-is-not-supposed-to-be-an-extra-round/
>>
>>52643550
Look into taking the invocations that give you at-will spells.

They can come in handy. Silent image, in particular.
>>
>>52643631
If it's in the back of a cart, you're probably not likely to get a forge set up so blacksmiths are out. Maybe jewellers too if your DM thinks that magic rings need to be made from scratch

I think that just leaves leatherworking, weaving and potions
>>
>>52643685
I know that. I'm suggesting using a round where you don't roll initiative to cure the 'Actually, looking at the initiative, I don't want to fight anymore' and dubbing it a 'surprise round'.

Is there a problem with that, or is it going to trigger people's pathfinder PTSD?
>>
>>52643682
Ah right, I forgot that rule.
Makes complete sense anyway. I wouldn't actually run it that way even if the rule didn't exist.
>>
File: n5082b1560f09e.png (262KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
n5082b1560f09e.png
262KB, 500x700px
>>52642348
Druids are mysterious...
>>
>>52643550
Warlocks are essentially a martial character that uses Eldritch Blast instead of weapons. Your spells are for the most part secondary combat utility and you'll tend to use only one, maybe two (typically Hex or Darkness plus something else). OOC utility will come from invocations and cantrips.

Go Tome if you want a more caster leaning. Definitely go Tome if there are no other casters in the party, as rituals are just that good.
>>
>>52643631
>>52643701
Oh and woodcarving if you're into bows I guess
Tinkering maybe
>>
>>52643703
We don't want /5eg/ to turn into another /foxfurry/ or /Iwantakoboldgirlfriend/ general. We know what kind of disease /pfg/ player bring with them.
>>
>>52643728
So if I dub it a 'meme' round, it's suddenly perfectly fine because we won't be swarmed by foxgirls?
Well, sure. Whatever keeps people happy.
>>
>>52643703
Yes. Dub it "pre-combat round" or something and we're good
>>
>>52643701
True about armour and weapons. I'll ask what he thinks about just enchanting a normal ring to be magical as well.

Potions don't seem worth it when most are a one time thing and reasonably common by asking "Is there an alchemy shop around here"

So leather, bows and other more trinket like items. I was thinking about rope of climbing but I'll most likely take that for my level 5 class item.
>>
It's nice to finally have some magic item economics.
>>
>>52643738
>>52643703
You are homebrew a house rule. According to /5eg/ tradition, I have to shout that your homebrew is shit, no matter how reasonable it sound.
>>
Anyone got a good substitute for 5egmegaanon? Just found out that the site's been down for a few days :|
>>
What is the stupidest thing you've seen a DM force an alignment change over? Alternatively, any stupid arguments involving alignment.
>>
>>52643718
This.
>>
>>52643740
That works, I guess. Since it's kind of not-combat in that there's no intiative and people take one turn each in whatever order.

>>52643763
Godspeed, anon.
>>
File: aWOLSk7.png (243KB, 500x580px) Image search: [Google]
aWOLSk7.png
243KB, 500x580px
On a Complexity scale from 0 to 10, where 0 is 4E, 5 is 3.5E and 10 is Grappling, where would 5E lie?

I felt 4E's mechanics were too streamlined to be interesting, but my playgroup is too retarded to learn Pathfinder so we're looking for a compromise.
>>
>>52643767
READ THE FUCKING OP YOU MONGOLOID
>>
>>52643779
>>
>>52643550
Take Invocations that give you spells rather than using your Invocation slots to max out EB damage

Way more "fun" that way
>>
>>52643749
Mariner leather can be pretty handy if your DM uses a lot of water like mine
Rod of the Pact Keeper is pretty handy for Warlocks
Staff of the Python is BEYOND op for an uncommon item
>>
I don't know if you guys play it like this, but this is how I've always done it. Might have unintentionally done a house ruling here, but everyone at the table is cool with it.

As soon as there's hostility of any kind, complex trap or enemy springs roll initiative.

If enemies were being stealthy, check their stealth against players passive perception. Anyone with high enough PP wasn't surprised. Or, say, if they have the alert feat.

Take the following scenario where the half orc in our group is alert.
"Suddenly, from the trees you hear rustling, roll initiative."

Bandits roll a collective 14.
Initiative is as follows.

PC (alert), init 15
Bandit 14
Bandit 14
Bandit 14
PC 2 (surprised), init 10
PC 3 (surprised), init 8
Random fucking bear, init 1

First turn goes to the half orc
>you notice bandits in the trees lining up an arrow, how do you act?
He takes his turn as normal.
Bandits go.
Skip other 2 PCs. (They aren't surprised after their respective turns end)
Bear joins the fray.
Back to the top of initiative.

This means, if after the players' who were surprised, if the bear attacked them, they'd be able to use a reaction against that attack if they had one. Such as shield spell or polearm master feat, etc.
>>
>>52643774
>Any stupid arguments involving alignment

Literally everything to do with alignment when it's not setting-specific inclined, because all alignment is normally in 5e without a setting-specific adjustment is a measure of how selfish you are and how you work with society that doesn't affect anything.

Of course, once you get into objective alignment with gods watching and judging your every action, then sure.
But people still seem to think it's sufficient to punish someone with 'Okay, you're evil now' and not actually put many other consequences in.

Honestly, there's too many shitty alignment-related stories that I can remember to count. What, have you had a DM forcibly change your alignment?
>>
>>52643767
Are you blind, fool? The replacement was literally in the opening post.
>>
File: lead_large.png (248KB, 615x447px) Image search: [Google]
lead_large.png
248KB, 615x447px
>>52643788
>>
>>52643779
>>52643799
Yeah, 5e wouldn't make a compromise, but you could try it anyway.

Just as long as your players don't complain about not getting a billion and one classes to chose from.
>>
>>52643631
https://buluphont.github.io/5etools/items.html#Abacus
Knock yourself out, filter by uncommon
>>
>>52642128
>>52642128

This is an awesome opportunity to let the player know they've been taken over and have them play into the part.
>>
>>52643779
>10 is Grappling
lolwut. Grappling is simple as fuck in 5e, just roll contested Athletics vs. Athletics or Acrobatics, and see who wins.

I haven't played 4e, but from what I hear if you felt it was too streamlined, you might feel the same about 5e. It has a lot more freedom in how you do things, though, as long as you have a good DM.
>>
>>52643831
>Just as long as your players don't complain about not getting a billion and one classes to chose from.

Honestly 5e is so simple that 99% of concepts can be fulfilled through the standard archetypes, multiclassing, and reflavoring if necessary.
Homebrew once you have played the game a lot and have a good knowledge of the system if you want more.
>>
>>52643811
That's RAW/RAI.

With the whole thing I've been saying about adding in a 'pre-combat round', this wouldn't work because of the bear. Instead of initiating the 'pre-combat round', you would obey RAW/RAI as normal because if you chose to not attack then the bear would start combat anyway, so there's no issue.
>>
>>52643581
I know that, but I want to have some variety.
>>52643606
Sort of, your utter lack of spell slots really blows.
>>
>>52643850
Have you seen 3.5 grappling?
>>
>>52643806
Holy shit, staff of the python is fucking amazing.

I can think of a hundred uses for a huge snake outside and inside of combat. Does make me wish I was a Yuan-ti to have it though.
>>
>>52643873
>>52643806
>reads Staff of the Python description
Shit, let's be Moses.
>>
>>52643858
>>52643811
Oh, and, since the barbarian can't be surprised, they wouldn't be able to trigger the pre-combat-round anyway so they would always get found by the barbarian the moment they start to ambush and thus they're thrown into the usual throes of combat where they can't neatly arrange their turn order and set out a normal attack or withdraw from combat, because if they withdraw the barbarian would just tell their allies what they saw.

In any case, I commend you for actually getting surprise rules right.
>>
>>52643799
>>52643831
>>52643850
Damn. Thanks for the replies. Shame that doesn't sound ideal. I had heard good things (in terms of critical reception) and assumed they addressed complaints about the previous edition.
>>
>>52643858
I don't think so, because the bandits are ultimately initiating the attack. That's what sparked the initiative roll.

If players are the ones sneaking, as soon as they initiate combat (reveal themselves to a hostile) then initiative begins.

I can imagine there being a possible scenario where a PC might attack, roll poorly on initiative/an enemy goes first, but has no reason to attack, and then the PC decides not to attack. But this seems like such an edge case. And in that scenario I'd be fine to stop initiative. Because then they lose any stealth they had as they're now quite clearly revealed. If combat came back up, they wouldn't have anyone surprised.
>>
>>52643901
>assumes the half orc is a barbarian

That's fucking racist, anon.
>>
File: Tematoa.pdf (123KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Tematoa.pdf
123KB, 1x1px
>>52642402
Rate my Tematoa
>>
File: lennart.jpg (26KB, 426x282px) Image search: [Google]
lennart.jpg
26KB, 426x282px
If you had to choose to make a party of 5 people all playing different subclasses of one class, how would you make your party?
>>
>>52643910
>Seems like such an edge case
It's not normally common, but it can actually be vital for an assassin as it means:
1. They don't crit
2. They don't get advantage (Not too big a problem since you can probably get advantage from unseen attacker)
3. The enemy will move right after their first turn, rather than them having two turns before the enemy moves (Whereas if they weren't sure about initiative, the enemy might have moved right after OR they might nto have)
4. The team's turn order might be out of line and thus lack proper synergy (Honestly not usually a problem as any buffs and such you can cast before combat, but there are some very fringe exceptions)

So mostly assassins having both 1. and 3. as a problem.

>>52643926
I'm just too used to it.
It's either that or champion fighter.
>>
>>52643952
>>52643910
Oh, forgot number 5., another fringe thing,
The enemy can use reactions.

So yeah, normally it's not too big a deal but if you were an assassin going solo on a warehouse full of enemies and you wanted to silently snipe them out one by one, it'd suck to know that if you attacked the enemy would survive and alert guards because you don't get crits and the enemy would move right after you but yet your DM won't let you reroll initiative and thus you have to retreat.
>>
>>52643947
Rogue heisters
Sneak, trap and plan your way through every encounter
>>
>>52643850
Grappling rules have a degree of notoriety as being too complicated for practical play.
>>
>>52643947
Warlocks. All with repelling and agonizing blast and moderately armoured, and then they could pick up devil's sight later.

They all want to fight at range, so they all push back enemies, they can envelop themselves in darkness and all gain advantage and then they have other boons such as a tomelock to use rituals, all the warlock spells they need, etc.
>>
>>52643850
>>52643860
>Grappling is simple as fuck in 5e
>simple as fuck in 5e
>in 5e
---
>Have you seen 3.5 grappling?

Not that anon, but what the fugg. How do you function on the internet? This is a 5e thread you fucking mong.
>>
>>52643906
Its no one's fault but your own that you phrased the question in a way that would give you an unfavorable answer.

5e is the best edition for teaching.
>>
>>52643351
The assasin gets advantage on his attack because he is attacking from stealth. The monk is also surprised UNTIL the start of his next turn.

So, the assassin gets advantage (without the mastermind) AND any hit he makes against the monk is a crit. The monk can use Deflect Missile
>>
>>52643947
Mystics. The lot of them.
>>
>>52644006
Fucking idiot.

He rated grappling a 10 in complexity because he wasn't talking about 5e grappling. 3.5 grappling is a good example of overly complicated grappling.
>>
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (158KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (4).jpg
158KB, 1600x900px
Has anyone ever played or Dm'ed a game where non-mounts were actually used? How did it go?
>>
>>52644022
First, read
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/18/how-to-use-assassin-assassinate/
The assassinate does not get crits, and you can't assume he'll get advantage because he might be at a distance of greater than 30ft, thus meaning he has to move in order to not have counter-disadvantage, thus potentially putting him in a position where he could be seen on the first round of combat which means he doesn't get advantage.
>>
druids suck
>>
>>52644059
Non-horse* mounts
>>
>>52643967
>>52643952
This is true, but as they'd be attacking from a hidden position they'd still get off a sneak attack at least.
The likelihood of them going after the initiative of some mook in a warehouse is a bit small if they have half decent initiative.
If they somehow fuck up their roll then it can be a fine story scenario, where even as a trained assassin they hesitated just a moment too long. And an assassin will tell you, that can make all the difference.

I have no problem with number 4, as groups should learn how to deal with that anyway. It's just part of how the system works.
>>
>>52644006
>being this autistic

Yes, of course it's a 5e thread.
>>
Does anyone have any good ideas for a Magic Sling a level 8 Ranger could use? They're in an old Halfling burial chamber to try and stop his Brother from raising a zombie army.

I was thinking something that gave a damage bonus against Large creatures or had the ability to hit two creatures with a single stone. Not sure how to really make magic items though.
>>
>>52643550
It is a sucky situation. Go for big impact stuff like hypnotic pattern and the slow invocation. Be a badass and your party will think it's worth taking the short breaks so you can keep on being a badass.
>>
>>52644098
frost giant nutsack, adds frost damage
>>
How do you handle party dynamics when a setting has extremely high racial tensions? Why would the redneck elf adventure with a dirty roundear?
>>
>>52643947
A jolly band of Fightsmen. A Banneret and Battlemaster as co-faces and tacticians, a Monster Hunter and Eldritch Knight for handling magical threats, and a Sharpshooter.
>>
>>52643974
This. Running a heist campaign would be fun as fuck. Bigger and bigger heists. Even just stealing shit from tombs where there's no one "living" that you're stealing from. Would make fun a great story.

In the event you all somehow failed, your DPR would be high enough to deal with most threats. And uncanny dodge/evasion would help you out if you run into a fireball happy wizard that doesn't want you stealing his magic orb.

If I didn't go rogues, I'd maybe consider either Wizards with all different schools, or maybe even gay druids that each focus on a specific element and turn it into a captain planet campaign. Lastly, the all bard traveling performance group would also make for fun times and even with the two archetypes only, there's plenty of versatility thanks to magical secrets.
>>
>>52644078
>They'd be attacking from a hidden position

Again, not necessarily, as up here >>52644066
They might not be in range and have to move into the open to fire.

>A bit small if they have half decent initiative
With +5 against a +1, it's about a 35% chance that the person with +1 wins, so that's definitely a possibility that will happen sooner or later if you're dispatching several mooks, one mook at a time.

>a fine story scenario
They can already fuck up the stealth AND fuck up the attack which is bad enough, why should they also have to not fuck up the initiative?
>>
>>52644118
If your adventurers sometimes you have to travel with people you hate because they're good.

As long as someone isn't a complete asshole they can normally recognise that traveling with someone boosts their capabilities and chance of survival.
>>
>>52644118
because there are things worse than a roundear, and roundears can make passable booze
>>
>>52644135
>>52644078
Oh, and, sorry, they could also potentially fuck up the damage by rolling too low to do significant damage considering they work mostly on d6s rather than flat modifiers.

And, aside from the stealth roll, there's non-rolls such as simply not walking into line of sight or making a bad move or any of that.
There's already many, many things that they can fuck up, they shouldn't have initiative set out to fuck them up as well.
>>
>>52644118
Money, stopping something from happening that would be bad for everyone's race, roundear in question is competent enough even if you'd never say it to their face
>>
>>52644098
It might be a little too much, but how about:
>When you hit a target, this sling deals an extra damage die to it for every size above Small
>Medium 2d4
>Large 3d4
>Huge 4d4
>Gargantuan 5d4
>>
>>52644166
That seems pretty cool. I guess 2d4 is about the sam as a +1 Longbow and getting a boost against large creatures is a good effect. Thanks.
>>
>>52642315
>Unearthed Arcana: Downtime
>http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_Downtime.pdf
Wow it's fucking nothing
>>
>>52644201
What were you expecting?
>>
>>52644135
I was talking about the theoretical scenario where they'd be skulking in a warehouse. I'm assuming they get adv from stealth so long as they don't roll horribly. Also, if they want to play optimally they should probably be using a crossbow instead of relying on the range of their daggers.

>They can already fuck up the stealth AND fuck up the attack which is bad enough, why should they also have to not fuck up the initiative?
Depends on how you run it. What's the exact scenario?
I mean, it could be a warehouse full of highly trained guards. Even a highly skilled assassin should be very careful of this situation. Killing everyone? Probably better to focus on your target and then get out as fast as can.

But if they're mooks in the truest sense of the word. Why not have the mooks at all sorts of disadvantage so your rogue can succeed and have a cool moment? If they roll horribly, as in... really bad. Like a 1 or something, then they will probably be in trouble even in the best of circumstances.

But then again 5e is hardly built for stealth missions as it's so easy to mess up a single roll. If you're going to run a stealth quest you should design the encounter in such a way that inflates the possibility of stealthy success.

An example of what I might do:
>guards are drunk on the job, disadv on perception
>they're playing poker, disadv on perception
>there's lots of dark corners to hide, cover to exploit, and rafters to navigate in order to make it easier to sneak through
>give the rogue a couple of strikes, say 3 botched rolls and shit will hit the fan.
You don't tell them about the last one, of course. Or necessarily any of these upfront.

These things should be necessary because splitting the party is usually a bad idea anyway. And if you want to go off on your own and rogue away, then there's gonna be some high risk high reward.

For most scenarios, the assassin should likely be trying to pick off a slower enemy when the fight breaks out.
>>
>>52644187
If there isn't a David and Goliath reference I'll chase all your sheep away.
>>
>>52644248
>For most scenarios, the assassin should likely be trying to pick off a slower enemy when the fight breaks out.

This is, assuming, you're not in a split party and you're not trying to snipe every enemy one by one. A feat that's quite easy to do in skyrim, but not in a cooperative trpg like 5e.

It's still quite easy to get assassinate unless you roll dead last in initiative.

You're also assuming in this warehouse scenario that the guards are all isolated so combat would be starting and stopping after each kill. Very much unlikely to be the case.
>>
>>52644166
Ooo, I like this. Gonna steal it.
>>
>>52644248
Oh, right, good point. They in particular would get advantage, I might've been getting it muddled up with the original scenario.

Hand crossbow still has a range of 30ft, and beyond that they'll have disadvantage.

They probably wouldn't be too weak, and it'd be a 'alternative method' route, really.

But I suppose normally an assassin has more targets to pick from rather than just the one, but then it's rather odd because that feels.. Less assassiney.
>>
>>52644187
>>52644274
Call it the sling of Vidad. On a natural 20 you can either push them back 5ft or knock them prone.
>>
Is there a food version of the Decanter of Endless Water?
>>
Nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING feels worse than having your players leave without saying "Thanks for running" or any acknowledgement of your DMing whatsoever.
Holy fuck. I just feel empty and upset. How do you guys deal with this?
>>
>52638294
Hey man, keep at it. Do you have players for this game?
>>
>>52644274
Of course there will be.

I had it already planned out that his Brother will have crafted a zombie giant that will keep getting bigger and absorbing dead bodies around the room.
>>
>>52644066
The assassin needs to have the higher initiative to get the advantage against a creature who hasn't taken a turn yet BUT he doesn't need a higher initiative to get the auto crit vs any surprised creature. I think it's safe to assume that a creature remains surprised until the start of its second turn

In addition, the DM can rule that a hidden creature (like the assassin) can remain hidden and move up to another creature (see PHB pp. 177 Hiding)
>>
>>52644201
I like it
>>
>>52644248
It's a simple concept that people try to make convoluted, the whole point of the way surprise works is that it enables people to notice things in time to defend themselves, even if they couldn't actually act.

It's not an extra sensory thing, but if they roll higher on initiative, they have fast enough reflexes to take a reaction when attacked. In character, a PC has no idea what their initiative is, and won't know if an enemy can react in time to do anything until they try it. Anything beyond that is super gamey, not meta-gamey but also not the way 5e is meant to function.

The only way it really breaks down is when X triggers initiative rolls, and ally Y gets to move before them, readying an action is an option but can be awkward.
>>
>>52644330
Alchemy Jug, make 1 gallon of honey or 2 gallons of mayonnaise per day
>>
>>52644332
Yell out "YOU'RE WELCOME" as they are leaving
>>
>>52644370
A creature is only surprised until the end of their turn, and its meant to reflect a character with fast enough reactions to keep themselves alive via reactions.

Think of an assassin targeting someone like the master of a monk order. Even if they manage to catch them by surprise, a high level monk can still react to the attack happening and manage to defend themselves, them being caught unaware isn't the same as them being entirely helpless.
>>
>>52644420
>A creature is only surprised until the end of their turn
Citation pls
>>
>>52644332
man up, woman
>>
>>52644432
Read the freaking PHB.
>>
>>52644332
The question we ask now is, are you a shit DM or are they shit players? Only you can answer that.

Ye must look within yeself, young grasshopper.
>>
File: IMG_7043.jpg (242KB, 650x410px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7043.jpg
242KB, 650x410px
Hey /5eg/ I'm going to have a smaller party next weekend while some members were away and I'm planning on doing a 22 Short Films About Waterdeep as a throw away session before we get back to the main campaign. It will follow the plot of 22 Short Films About Springfield, the Simpsons montage episode and also pay homage to our 22nd game session as well as our party's original characters that are located in Waterdeep in the game world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/22_Short_Films_About_Springfield

Can anyone help me make these plot lines more...Waterdeep?
>>
>>52644201
I plan to actually use it and like it.

I'm a little bit worried about the shear amount of money a Rogue with Expertise in all three skills needed for performing crime can make though. At level 6 they can have a good chance of making at least 100gp from a DC20 heist and a very low chance of making none of the checks.
>>
File: mimikyu pepe smug.png (433KB, 526x712px) Image search: [Google]
mimikyu pepe smug.png
433KB, 526x712px
>>52644332
You can usually force them to thank you by thanking them first for coming and playing (well, if they did, with specific examples)

They'll feel guilty that they didn't think to thank you first, so they'll try to make up for it by thanking quickly or overtly.

Sounds like a DM doesn't have proficiency in persuasion.
>>
>>52644432
Rules for Surprise can be found on page 189 of the official Player's Handbook from Wizards of the Coast.
>>
>>52644456
What wrong with it? It not like they can use that money for something
>>
>>52644460
>You can usually force them to thank you by thanking them first for coming
>persuasion

That's deception there boi
>>
>>52644442
>>52644464

>The DM determines who might be surprised. If
neither side tries to be stealthy, they automatically notice each other. Otherwise, the DM compares the Dexterity (Stealth) checks of anyone hiding with the passive Wisdom (Perception) score of each creature on the opposing side. Any character or monster that doesn't notice a threat is surprised at the start of the encounter. If you're surprised, you can't move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can't take a reaction until that turn ends. A member of a group can be surprised even if the other members aren't.

PHB pp. 189.

MENTIONS NOTHING ABOUT WHEN SURPRISE ENDS YOU FUCKING CUNTS
>>
>>52644330
In 3.5 there was Sustaining Spoon, it'd be easy to port over

Sustaining Spoon
This unremarkable eating utensil is typically fashioned from horn. If the spoon is placed in an empty container the vessel fills with a thick, pasty gruel. Although this substance has a flavor similar to that of warm, wet cardboard, it is highly nourishing and contains everything necessary to sustain any herbivorous, omnivorous, or carnivorous creature. The spoon can produce sufficient gruel each day to feed up to four humans.
>>
File: Jerry-Seinfeld.jpg (110KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
Jerry-Seinfeld.jpg
110KB, 1252x1252px
What class it the least ability score dependent? Let's hypothetically say you had like, 12 in all stats. What class would you pick?
>>
>>52644490
Moon druid.
>>
>>52644490
Moon Druid
>>
>>52644490
Moon druid probably, If my stats suck ill just shift into something that doesnt suck.
>>
File: 1489280253769.jpg (61KB, 605x454px) Image search: [Google]
1489280253769.jpg
61KB, 605x454px
Things to add in 5.5e:

>Surprise rounds
>Delay your turn rules
>Separate ASIs and Feats
>Many more Feats
>More divine domains
>Fix rangers
>Remove monks
>Keep Backgrounds and Traits but remove Ideals/Bonds/Flaws
>Change Medicine to First Aid and make it better
>No black character art in PHB2
>Add Limited Wish at level 7 for Sor/Wiz (Cast any level 6 or below wizard spell, or any level 5 or below spell from any list)
>Generalist Wizard
>>
>>52644481
Deception's using lies to get what you want
Persuasion's using truths
>>
File: ApeCap.png (769KB, 840x904px) Image search: [Google]
ApeCap.png
769KB, 840x904px
>tfw you're as dumb as a monkey
>>
>> If you're surprised, you can't move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can't take a reaction until that turn

literally in your quote
>>
File: nice meme asshole.png (92KB, 503x257px) Image search: [Google]
nice meme asshole.png
92KB, 503x257px
>>52644509
>all of this
>>
>>52644484
I know this is bait, but "you can't move or take an action on your first turn of combat" along with the "any character or monster that doesn't notice a threat is surprised at the start of combat" would lead most rational English speakers to the conclusion that surprise ends at the end of the surprised creature's first turn.
>>
>>52644509
>phb2.0 is all black characters
>new campaign is set in fantasy africa

wat do?
>>
>>52644370
>>52644520
>>52644484
And before you pretend to be idiot
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015
>>
How to terrify PCs
>create Changeling Jester Bard NPC (Or just give them disguise self I guess)
>make their entire performing outfit cover their body, including a porcelain mask covering their face
>have him show up performing in places he shouldn't be (juggling in the middle of the road the party is driving down, doing handstands inside their house)
>ramble on about nonsense while making shitty jokes
>occasionally say things that indicate that he's way more familiar with the party than he ever should be
>>
>>52644475
There's also the option on tracking down magical items in that same UA. Personally I like giving them the option to look for magical gear and most of my cities have at least one Wizard selling common and some uncommon magical items.

I don't have a problem because performing such a risky downtime activity should have a good pay out. I'll just have to make sure to keep track of how much money he has.
>>
>>52644532
>Once that turn ends, the creature is no longer surprised.

That line needs to be in the PHB.
>>
>>52644554
Being able to use reaction after its turn end should be enough indicator.
>>
>>52644531
Create an empire dedicated to Osiris because... you know...

WE
>>
>>52644509
>>Surprise rounds
No.

>>Delay your turn rules
Held actions?

>>Separate ASIs and Feats
How about no? How it works now is actually really good. Don't make feats mandatory again.

>>Many more feats
Sure.

>>Many more divine domains
I guess.

>>Fix rangers
Revised ranger is good.

>>Remove monks
Fix them instead. We need that unarmed weeb option.

>>Keep Backgrounds and Traits but remove Ideals/Bonds/Flaws
Why? It forces faggots to at least kinda flesh out their characters, and the tables give a quick way to set the foundation for a character.

>>Change Medicine to First Aid and make it better
Name change is fucking irrelevant, medicine works fine.

>>No black character art in PHB2
Low quality bait.

>>Add Limited Wish at level 7 for Sor/Wiz
Eh, I don't know. I think that kind of power should be kept up in the level 9 slots.

>>Generalist Wizard
You mean all wizards?

Conclusion: You're a faggot.
>>
Because I'm tired of seeing people memeing "spam eldritch blast" when people ask for warlock advice.

-How to Play a Warlock Effectively-
1. Take Eldritch Blast and Agonizing Blast
2. Take spells and cantrips that allow for varied effects and out-of-combat utility. Also, use your reaction for spells that aren't eldritch blast in combat. Hellish Rebuke packs a punch.
3.Take either Pact of Chain or Pact of Tome
4. Play a variant human and grab hex as a one/long-rest spell via magic initiate to conserve your spell slots
5. Convince your party to take short-rests after most combats. A good deal of other classes get benefits from short-rests and everyone likes to heal wounds.
6. Have fun and don't expect to feel like a wizard or a cleric. You are playing a warlock. Expect to feel like you're playing a warlock.
>>
>>52644509
go back to /pfg/
>>
>>52644535
I'd murder the fuck outta him so quick.
>>
>>52644587
This.

I get that Eldritch Blast is strong, but the point of playing a Warlock is that you get to cast all your big spells all of the time, unlike a wizard who has to focus on strong cantrips and low level spells until a big fight.
>>
>>52644572
No it isn't. Literally every other effect has a clear start and finish
>>
>>52644535
So fantasy Pennywise then?
>>
>>52644601
Which brings me to the optional step
>Make them have valuable information pertinent to the party's quest so that they can't kill him
>>
>>52644601
The way to counter that as a DM is give him escape options.
>>
>>52644535
Have you ever been a DM? The players would kill him after the second or third encounter at max. Many parties would kill him first time
>>
File: IMG_7044.jpg (57KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7044.jpg
57KB, 512x384px
>>52644453
4. Noblemans servant suffers a crippling stirge attack while driving the Nobleman in his carriage.
>>
File: yisss.png (19KB, 791x275px) Image search: [Google]
yisss.png
19KB, 791x275px
>>52644509
>Limited Wish
my nigga
>>
Really, whats wrong with monks? If Kensei was vanilla and not UA would they be fine? What makes them worse than a fighter or barbarian as far as a martial goes?
>>
>>52644634
>We attack this creepy jester
>Uh he teleports away!

Wow so creepy kys
>>
>>52644587
Okay, that's good advice.

Let's say I mistakenly ignored point 3, but still want to make the best of my, admittedly suboptimal, decision. What then?
>>
>>52644535
>>52644601
>>52644627
>>52644632
>>52644634
>>52644635
I now want to put either a Pennywise type character or Doctor Feankenfurter in my game. I just wish I could do a better Tim Curry impression
>>
>>52644509
>>52644576
WUZ
>>
>>52644662
>Only players can use escape spells!!

How about you have a little more creativity there champ. Another way would be even if you do manage to catch him and murder him he shows up again and now has a grudge.
>>
>>52644670
The UA options usually make Bladelock decent without multiclassing into Paladin, alternatively multiclass into Paladin.
>>
>>52644670
I'd recommend grabbing punishment spells like fire shield, armor of agathys, and hellish rebuke for when you inevitably get hit will wading into combat. Bladelocks are made to take a beating and return it twice-fold via magic armor and reaction spells.
>>
File: 1465835152636.jpg (142KB, 1336x1781px) Image search: [Google]
1465835152636.jpg
142KB, 1336x1781px
I've been thinking about a player race that doesn't have posable thumbs thanks to their body type, but isn't some meme shit. I thought it'd be an interesting challenge as the ability to manipulate items with fine motor control is a given. Any ideas?
>>
>>52644707
Lobstermen.
>>
>>52644635
I am a DM in fact, and my players happen to be a bunch of weenies, so I can torment them with my terrifying trickster to my heart's content. Besides, if they do try to attack him, he can just mess with them indirectly while they sleep, or leave creepy messages.
>>
>>52644707
Telekinesis, tool use that grabs things for them (like animated vines through plant control, or something)

Some fun sort of symbiotic relationship between two species, one that has the ability to grasp, another that has the intelligence to direct them to grasp

Something that can form temporary structures out of materials, like quick 3-d printing, either out of earth, or metals they carry on their person, stuff like that.

I've been working on cat-like race, and it's been a challenge to figure out. I can see why we don't see it in media very often.
>>
>>52644587
>We're more than just Eldritch Blast machines!
>Step 1: take Eldritch Blast
>>
>>52644006
>Guy asks how complicated 5e is in relation to 4e, 3.5e, and "grappling", because he's looking for a new system
>You assume he is asking how complicated 5e is in comparison to 5e grappling.
>This means that you also assume he is asking how complicated 5e is, while being familiar with the 5e rules.

Are you retarded?
>>
>>52644747
I never implied that a warlock would never use eldritch blast. It'd be dumb to not to take it to have as a back-up, but spamming it is not an optimal choice.

and I know this is obvious bait, but have your (you)
>>
File: ss+(2017-04-11+at+01.58.41).png (9KB, 976x119px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-04-11+at+01.58.41).png
9KB, 976x119px
>>52644771
Two for the price of one :^)
>>
>>52644771
Spamming Eldritch blast is basically the optimal ranged attack setup.

Maybe your limited use spells are a better use of action economy, but Eldritch blast is a pretty damned effective attack option.
>>
>>52644771
I played a drow archfey warlock who took poison spray instead of EB because he could use it in sunlight without any penalty because it's a saving throw. he did just fine.
>>
>>52642315
Starting a new campaign this weekend, and I've allowed pretty much every UA. I've asked the players to check with me first should they choose to use UA, so whatever it is I'll decide on a case by case basis.

The only things I probably would not allow are setting specific things like Shifters or just plain bad stuff like the Wizard UA.

One player has made a Way of Tranquility monk and a Circle of Dreams druid. Both seem all right to me, though I'm curious to see how they will balance with the rest of the PCs
>>
>>52644795
Again, I don't disagree with you. EB is a good cantrip to have as a warlock, but I know players that believe it's always the best choice, and the fact remains that that's simply not true.
>>
>>52644826
With those two around it'll be support city.
>>
>>52644655
Anyone? Is it just the 4 element monk?
>>
>>52644490
Moon druid.
>>
Would it be cruel to seal the Monk's Chi powers if it's a plot hook to get the party on a quest to a mystical kung-fu land in order to unseal his chi with the help of a were-bear monk while being pursued by an orc from a tribe they defeated earlier whom swore himself to a fiend in exchange for evil kung-fu powers?
>>
>>52644655
Nothing really. They have pretty good damage at low levels and at higher levels they've got way more control then anyone else.

Also if you start with 16 DEX and WIS then your AC will be about equal to anyone not using a shield at most levels. You have magical attacks no matter what at 6. High levels you become an arrow deflecting, saving throw master, 20 AC 4d10+20 damage stunbot. Once you reach level 5 you will always have more Ki then a Battlemaster's superiority dice and Ki is a much better thing to have.

Monk's a very solid class that goes through a weak spot at the lower levels and doesn't do as much damage as pure DPS characters. People can'r understand that damage isn't the main draw of the class.
>>
>>52644864
It's mostly 4 elements monk.
>>
>>52644655
>Attempt a stunning strike
>Not before the attack hits, if the attack hits, you can choose to make it a stunning strike
>Creature is stunned until the end of your next turn
>You can attempt this multiple times with multiple strikes
>Shadow monks can teleport anywhere there's dim light
>As a bonus action
>Gives you advantage on next melee strike

Nothin wrong man, good fun.
>>
>>52644956
If I LOVE the options battlemasters features bring, will I probably enjoy a pure monk? I've been finding it difficult to think about any martial other than battlemasterrace
>>
What happened to the original Megaanon's 5etools? The old page returns 404.
>>
>>52645004
Roll20 threw a fit, so he had to take it down.
>>
>>52645004
DMCA from Roll20 for using/allowing access to paywall'd content
>>
>>52645020
he's a good boy
>>
>>52645020
Roll20 and not WotC? Goodness. Those twats.
>>
>>52644948
Maybe.

1) First and foremost, run it through with the monk's player. You're asking his character to take a gun and shoot their legs with it. He'll need some incentives though.

2) Provide a means to keep the player balanced with the rest of the crew. You wanna take his Ki points away? Give him a magical item to help fill in the gap. A Bracelet that gives an extra attack or something. Or if the quest is short enough, give him something really nice AFTER its done as a reward for a challenge.
>>
>>52645027
for you
>>
File: IMG_7045.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7045.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>52644453
Worked out a framework. This is going to be interspersed with a lot of the Downtime UA
>>
File: Carlos.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Carlos.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>52644994
>battlemasterrace
>>
File: AngryPepe.jpg (19KB, 403x392px) Image search: [Google]
AngryPepe.jpg
19KB, 403x392px
>>52645004
They killed him man.

THEY FUCKING KILLED HIM
>>
>>52645036
He's level 7 and is a Kensei monk with a greatsword that lets him berserk that he's proficient with. Also I was planning on allowing the other monk in the group to supplement his chi with his own.
>>
>>52645067
Can confirm, he's fucking dead.
>>
>>52643939
Anyone -_-
>>
File: IMG_7046.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7046.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>oh I'm sorry I was late there was trouble in Barovia with the vampires and the werewolves and the biiiiiiiitiiiiing, and then one of the Nothics stole my glasses, Wait I have a funny story! I wrote a jingle! Count Beckenstein Count Beckenstein he makes us cry he makes us whine....ohhhh I'm gonna kill that Nothic
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Hy77T19px

I thought the downtime UA was lacking rules for outdoorsy characters, so I threw something together (and someone else threw it into Homebrewery).
>>
>>52645046
>>52645138
>handwriting notes

Is this 1860 or something?
>>
>>52643939
Pretty good, except it's Tamatoa.
>>
>>52645171
FUCK
>>
>>52645157
Computers currently out of commission and I don't feel like typing it up on my phone (I will eventually though)
>>
File: 1491223325017.png (448KB, 455x395px) Image search: [Google]
1491223325017.png
448KB, 455x395px
>>52645182
>>
>>52645182
Have fun with CTRL+F
>>
>>52645157
>implying handwritten notes are a problem
>pen and paper RPG
>>
>>52644713
Fuck no I'm from Maine everyone would play this just to meme me.
>>
File: images.jpg (13KB, 206x244px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13KB, 206x244px
>write a bunch of cool campaign plot stuff
>okay now time to design the city theyre in
this is boring as shiiiit
how do i make a decently-sized city that's not the big capital with the university even mildly interesting
fucking every fantasy city ever is just "interact with poor street rats for a while now, ok?" but i cant think of much to do to avoid that outside of the real seat of power for the region
what do
>>
File: 1488111850786.jpg (5KB, 234x215px) Image search: [Google]
1488111850786.jpg
5KB, 234x215px
>accidentally write your RPG notes in the Death Note
>world is filled with kitsune lolis and elves with shorn pricks
>>
>>52645229
get historical city layouts
>>
>>52645229
Make the city be a major center of some very specific business. Hunting dog breeding. Pants manufacturing. Lumber shipping. Salt mining. Build an unusual outlook and city structure around it.
>>
>>52645229
>outline city shape
>separate into districts/sections
>add points of interest
>fill out districts as needed
>>
>>52645229
If it's a city, it has to exist for a reason. Harbor? Trade? Industry? Landmark? Historical significance?
Start with the basics, and build up.
Is the original reason for existing still relevant?
Is the region dangerous? What sort of enemies have they faced historically? Is there a caste system? Is it part of a larger kingdom, or independent? Are the nobles goodly, just, evil, greedy, ignorant, uncaring? What and who control the groups within the city? What form of crime exists, and is it organized? Is violence common or rare, and how harsh are punishments?
>>
>>52645229
DMG pp. 15 Settlements
>>
>>52645275
>Salt mining

We already have that covered.
>>
>no proper giant spider in the monster manual

How to make a good, medium/high CR spider?

What should their lair/environment effects be?
>>
>>52645317
The MM has 3 varieties of giant spider.
>>
SKT spoilers

Last session the party was at Gauntlgrym, and the Drow stole Maegera the Dawn Titan. Bruenor Battlehammer asked the party for their help, and the party both knows Drow were responsible for the actual theft and have lots of evidence that the Fire Giants are behind it all.

I think they plan to attempt to track down either the Fire Giants directly or the Drow. They have quite a few tools for it(Awakened Mystic, and I think somebody has access to a one-time use of scrying), but I've never run exactly that sort of on-the-hunt tracking sort of challenge before. Looking for input on what are the best ways to do it, and what formats are not so great.
>>
>>52645329
All complete non threats and cr 1 or lower(Or magical which i feel detracts from it)

Im talking about a GIANT spider, huge or gargantuan.
>>
File: king dedede realistic penguin.png (37KB, 160x197px) Image search: [Google]
king dedede realistic penguin.png
37KB, 160x197px
My players are trying to reclaim the throne that they lost at level 1. Important upcoming question:

How much money would a medium-sized kingdom have, in GP? Are there any rules, homebrew or otherwise, for a kingdom's wealth?

I've been effectively running with 1 GP = $100 purchasing power, with common sense pushing some items more expensive or cheaper.
>>
File: IMG_7047.jpg (115KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7047.jpg
115KB, 750x500px
>>52645157
I am currently transferring it over to my phone just so I can have a tidier printed version. Here's the first half

Game 22
Short
Films
About
Waterdeep

Vignettes to be played and interwoven into the UA Downtime Supplement. An homage to the Simpsons '22 Short Films About Springfield' which in turn was an homage to both 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould"

What follows can be used either sequentially or as a random table. If you roll a # followed by a letter, play it in the order of the letter. For instance 11. (6B) would result in playing 6A first if it hasn't already occurred, or 6C if it's that third time landing on that chain of events. If that chain has been completed re-roll.

1. Kobolds pelt/pour liquids on the party from an overpass then go to (Significant Inn/Tavern/Shop)
2. When there (Owner/Player/NPC) leave shop to attend party at brothers house.
3. A : X gets adhesive in Y's hair without noticing. Situation snowballs.
4. Nobleman's servant suffers a crippling Stirge attack while driving the Nobleman in his carriage. Set in a park.
5. Sham doctor treats oldest player suffering a fatal condition with a sham method, saving his career.
6. A : PC gets robbed by a Robber
7. PC hosts Supervisor. Steamed Hams, Fire, Aurora Borealis at this time and this location located entirely within their kitchen.
8. Accidentally traps someone important in a box. Solution is to take the box home.
9. Pulp Fiction Burger Conversation. Do you know what they call a Whopper in Neverwinter?
10. Players house is destroyed coming home after a long day at work causing his wife to leave him (use Character of Player who wasn't able to attend session)
>>
>>52645362
A phase spider is cr3 and large.
>>
>>52645349
The drow take Maegera to the Duke's castle
>>52645362
ok make it then
>>
File: 1491078300162.jpg (236KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1491078300162.jpg
236KB, 1280x720px
>>52645364
>A level 1 character having a throne
>>
>>52645394
(Or magical, which i feel detracts from it)

>>52645396
Uh, yeah. Im in the process of that. That was the entire point of the original post. I was asking for ideas on lair/environment effects.
>>
>>52645364
Whatever is plot convenient. Hell, most modern countries don't have a stockpile of universal currency, or even any real backing for their own currency.

If gold is a setting standard, you would have a treasury, but it would be a constant in/out of most of your resources on a fairly constant basis.
>>
>>52645399
Does it say anywhere that a king or prince has to be a certain level?
>>
>>52645317
Sting (Recharge 5-6)
If it hits, player takes 2d8+whatever piercing damage and must make a constitution save DC whatever or drop to 0 hitpoints and fall unconscious until a Greater Restoration is cast on them.

Then just add some generic fang attack, and maybe some lair actions to do with webs and hiding.

Add baby spiders riding its back that swarm the mage.
>>
>>52645399
Her lvl 12 father, the king, was killed by his level 10 military advisor in a coup. The princess escaped with the help of the rest of the party, who were all members of the royal court in some form or another, usually apprentices. They've been struggling in a foreign land, attempting to get enough support/money to return to their home kingdom to get the throne, while hiding from assassins and constantly watching over their shoulders.
>>
>>52645414
Nowhere, but logically it would be stupid.
I'm all for kings not being absurd levels, but they should at least be about level ~5 or so. In a world like DnD, they need at least some level of adventurer training considering otherwise any old spellcaster could just utter a word and destroy any semblance of life they had immediately. Considering a level 1 will die instantly to most things. Also levels help increase their resistance to shit like mind control magic if needed.

>>52645418
Oh, I thought you mean the level 1 characters themselves were all kings or some shit.
>>
>>52645449
Why can't the king have 5hp? His head priest will resurrect him if he dies, that is if you can get a spell off when his retinue of Abjurers and Paladins don't counterspell you and chop you to pieces.
>>
>>52645467
Subtle spell something in so it can't be counterspelled, something that renders the corpse even harder to ressurect. Or just keep killing them over and over remotely so they have to waste ridiculous money on reviving him over and over until they think 'Why the fuck am I reviving him when I could just use him as a puppet because I'm a powerful spellcaster and he's a level 1 guy who couldn't even win an arm wrestling fight with me?"

At the very, very least they'd have some magical items that boost their HP and the like, which makes them effectively a level 3-5 or higher.
>>
>>52645467
Because with 1st level proficiency bonus his Performance and Persuasion skills won't be good enough to handle himself around courtiers.
>>
>>52645396
Thanks for the amazing input. I, the DM, obviously have no idea that maegera is going to the duke's castle. Thanks for filling me in on that, really, you're a life saver. If only we had more people like you in the world.

My question includes that the party is going to attempt to intercept the Drow only a few hours after the theft at most. This is going to mean some investigating and tracking, quite likely assisted by magic. It's going to consume party resources and be part of the challenge of their adventuring day, so I restate: What are some of the best ways to run this? What should I avoid?
>>
>commoner rolls 1 for hp
>commoner is reading while walking around his house and stubs his toe
>dies
>>
>>52645449
A king would probably be a Noble NPC
>>
>>52645502
But you always get max hp for your first level
>>
>>52642476
Maybe her ancestors founded a village in Barovia
>>
>>52645449
>they should at least be about level ~5 or so. In a world like DnD, they need at least some level of adventurer training
Historically, there have been numerous monarchs crowned when they were children. I doubt a king in that situation would have anywhere near enough experience to be higher than level 1, even if they did have training.
>considering otherwise any old spellcaster could just utter a word and destroy any semblance of life they had immediately
There are other ways of stopping that. Like antimagic fields in the throne room.
>>52645486
>Because with 1st level proficiency bonus his Performance and Persuasion skills won't be good enough to handle himself around courtiers.
>Implying every king is competent at their job
>>
So I know this is the 5th ed general but out of curiosity does anyone here have a link to any of the 4th ed materials, especially the players handbook and character generator?
>>
>>52645482
Why doesn't the secret service kill the president and take over? Maybe he is being manipulated by the head mage, doesn't mean he can't still be the king with command over a whole country that will follow his commands because of tradition.
>>52645486
Maybe he rolled good stats? Maybe he inherited the title and people respect the bloodline? I'm pretty sure there are plenty of examples of uncharismatic rulers in fiction.
>>
>>52645497
The drow probably travel via the underdark, tracking them would be pretty much impossible
>>
>>52645502
>>52645517

What if they stub their toe several times in quick succession before a rest?
>>
>>52645545
I sure hope theyd sleep off their broken foot before they mashed it against a wall for the sixth time and their brain shuts off because its sick of controlling this fucking idiot
>>
File: IMG_7048.jpg (53KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7048.jpg
53KB, 640x480px
>>52645157
>>52645392
11. 6B: Robber runs over Cop and the two fight, rolling into Zhentarim store who captures them.
12. Lathander Priest uses most lawfully good/Holy Player's lawn as a toilet for their pet.
13. 3B: Various townspeople advise one how to remove adhesive in Y's hair.
14. -3Int Commoner offers -3Int Commoner magic shoes he found on a clothes line.
15. 6C: Kobold child has to use bathroom at The Underdark (T1, Tavern, C, 2) but leaves and goes to Zhentarim store with Father where he knocks Zhentarim out with flail saving Father, Robber, and Cop.
16. 3C: A Barber cuts Adhesive out of Y's hair leaving them with a different style (use Barber of Silverymoon Random Style table)
17. Y's Foil mocks them, then mocks a familiar NPC falling into The Sewers/Yawning Portal/Something. The Foil then mocks a Large Humanoid on a small horse that gets off and humiliated them.
18. The Kobold children from the beginning pelt the Foil and conclude life in Waterdeep is interesting after all.
19. A PC or NPC from a previous campaign comes out and attempts to tell their story. "Name, name, he makes you this he makes you that"
20. Shhh
>>
>>52645410
Are you asking for advice on how to create a high cr, single enemy encounter using a spider? if so that's fine, but next time say exactly what you want, instead of just being wrong.

Aleankabut, also known as the Kings of Silk, are massive eight legged terrors that claim entire sections of the desert. The Aleankabut create traps by burrowing into the sands and creating Oasis, drawing in potential prey. When they detect large enough vibrations, the entire area drops into its cavernous hole, the floor a sticky web substance, the walls covered in slick silk that is nearly impossible to climb.

Many tunneling scavengers and smaller carnivores have learned to co-exist with the gargantuan Aleankabut, for their lairs are plentiful with water and small prey, without larger predators than would normally put them at risk.

Lair actions
Two Giant Spiders crawl out from various tunnels lining the walls near ground level.
A 5 foot section of the floor falls out from under a creature, dex saving throw or fall into a sticky web trap and be restrained.
A bulette bursts from a side tunnel and engages.
Legendary Actions
1 action: restrain a creature, dex save
2 actions: makes a melee bite attack against a restrained target, dealing extra extra necrotic damage and restoring HP equal to necrotic damage dealt
1 action: can shift the sands around it, all other creatures must make a dex save or fall prone, a creature already prone must make a dex save or be restrained
>>
>>52645533
https://pastebin.com/85Hm56k5
>>
>>52645565
meant for>>52645408
>>
>>52645362
You can use the DMG to adjust the CR of giant spiders, and adjust their size, to fit the encounter CR that you'd like.

Fill a lair with lots of vertical surfaces or ceilings for them to climb on, and use lots of webs (ex: DMG web trap). Webs are weak to fire, so they could possibly be burned away pretty easily, but it should make the environment quite difficult to travel without some effort, and the spider lair can be naturally rough terrain.

Also the giant spider has a pretty great design already- the web attack can really disrupt things, and the bite being a two-part piercing damage and poison damage also adds good fun. Spiders feel great when they've very scary in damage when they get bitten, but also die pretty easy.

Up the ambience with the tapping sounds of spider feet, tons of very tiny spiders, cocooned desiccated corpses, etc. Spider swarms can be a great popcorn CR element, and hatching egg sacs birthing spider swarms can really add to the nightmarish element (and if you're interested in a lair action, that could be one of them).
>>
Is there any way to make a gambling ne'er-do-well without coming off as that guy?
>>
>>52645594
Heavily luck based culture.

Play a chinaman
>>
>>52645594
Don't be a thrillseeking asshole with a literal addiction to risk, and you should be fine.
>>
>>52645565
>>52645574
>instead of being wrong.

How exactly? Where is aleankabut in the monster manual? Because hes sure as shit not on the directory.

Thanks for the advice however.

>>52645582
All of these are really good ideas. Could even provide the benefit of burning away the webs to cause falling damage to the spider as it traverses across the ceiling.

>>52645417
Baby swarms for mage distraction are good but wouldnt they be roasted in addition to the big one?

What if the sting implanted a fast growing embryo which a swarm of spiders burst from
>>
>>52645621
Nigga i made that up, my point was that saying we didn't have giant spiders, when we have 3, was wrong.
The rest of that whole thing was me making up a creature on the spot to help you.
>>
>>52645534
>Why doesn't the secret service kill the president and take over
This is completely different. There's no mind controlling magics to use, and the president is anything but a level 1 in real life terms. Of course, you could say 'everyone is level 1', but I'm pretty sure anyone who's a president likely has better rolls for charisma than your average charismatic guy.
But I suppose it could always be happening already and nobody's noticed.

>>52645531
Antimagic fields are level 8, and that's a bit more susceptible to the setting as a smaller kingdom might not have access to being able to make level 8 spells permanent and cover a wider radius. Certainly in a low magic setting, most throne rooms would lack it.
And in that case, he'd be locked into the throne room without ever being able to go out.
You can have child rulers, but I doubt they'd be as successful as older rulers, and they usually have advisors and other people doing a lot of their work for them, I'm mildly sure. Can't say for certain.
But, really, why can't a king get themself some levels when adventurers are, what are they missing? They're extraordinary in a sense, they can get tutors, and certainly in real life nobles tend to do some of that stuff as a hobby anyway.

>>52645513
I'm not sure I've ever seen any DM lower a noble that low stat-wise. Honestly I'd rather they had nobles be lower powered sometimes, but I don't really approve of 'normal human' stats.
>>
>>52645502
Stubbing your toe isn't 1 damage.
>>
Is the new Favored Soul any decent or would refluffing a Bard work better for a Charisma divine caster?
>>
>>52645566
Thanks
>>
>>52645362
>>52645408
Any spider larger than tiny is intrinsically pretty magical.
>>
>>52645647
Is breddy gud mang
>>
Does anyone have a DM version of the SKT Nightstone map? (Numbered map)
>>
Just a little confused about using charm effects. If I use Fey Presence or Charm Person, what happens when the effect expires? Do they know they were charmed? If I charm an innkeeper and get a better rate on the room, does he barge up in a few minutes and throw me out?
>>
>>52645676
The spell would specify if they became aware of it. See the spell Friends.
>>
>>52645676
>Charm Person
The spell description explicitly says that, at the end of its duration, the target knows it was charmed
>Fey Presence
Not necessarily, it would be up to the DM. I would say no.
>>
>>52645688
This, although note that anything with more than just an M component is fairly obvious. You can't hide a V component without serious effort, and S is obvious if you aren't hiding already.
>>
For what purpose does Sorcerer spells known stop progressing at later levels? Why not just go to 20?

Surely 5 more spells known won't break anything.
>>
>>52645711
Then they might actually be almost as good as wizards, and we can't have that.
>>
So is Spiritual Weapon as good as it looks on paper? Getting a bonus action attack for no concentration seems pretty good.
>>
>>52645809
It's what allows Clerics to keep a consistent minimum DPR while still being primarily support
>>
>>52645711
>>52645785
I'm sorry, what company's game are we talking about again?

Sorcerers of the Coast? No, no...

Warlocks of the Coast? No... oh wait, I remember.

MOTHERFUCKIN WIZARDS OF THE COAST BITCHBOI
>>
Somebody make a new thread.
>>
MY SPIRITUAL WEAPON TAKES THE SHAPE OF A PECKAH
>>
File: 3068071-1065158-orc_king_det01.jpg (69KB, 355x462px) Image search: [Google]
3068071-1065158-orc_king_det01.jpg
69KB, 355x462px
Can anyone rate my character idea? I want to make a Drow character and use the Charlatan's False Identity feature to pretend to be Drizzt (both to NPC's and to players). Would this be annoying for other players to deal with?

Also, I have never read any of the Drizzt books and want to make up everything I don't know (a lot) on the fly.
>>
>>52645848
If the players aren't into it they're gonna call you a special snowflake faggot.
>>
>>52645848
>False Identity feature
Shit. I just realised what an opportunity I missed while making my notWitcher EK.
>>
>>52645848
See, that's the kind of joke character that only works when it's funny, and is only funny if everybody else except one person at the table has no fucking clue who Drizzt is.
>>
>>52645848
>being Drizzt in any capacity
yes it's going to be annoying.
shouldn't stop you from having fun though.
>>
Since Character Art thread isn't up.. might just ask for it here...

Anyone got a picture of manly Elf?
>>
>>52645993
>elf
>manly

Choose one
>>
>>52646027
actions, not looks, determine the worth of a man. at least in human society. I guess in elf society it's whoever has the longest ears or the fanciest name or whatever.
>>
>>52642648
True Neutral isn't really the same as Neutral Neutral though. It's not really represented on the chart but there are True Neutral people who go out of their way to achieve neutrality, while an animal is neutral neutral.
>>
>>52646064
isn't an animal chaotic though?
>>
>>52646074
no.
>>
File: AauL7s7[1].png (94KB, 555x605px) Image search: [Google]
AauL7s7[1].png
94KB, 555x605px
>>52646027
I could see someone rolling a manly elf using the Mul Daya nation stats from Plane Shift Zendikar. They're the only subrace of elf to get a bonus to strength.
>>
>>52646043
The best thing an elf can do for you is put on some makeup and a wig and suck your dick.
>>
File: 1461277987463.jpg (51KB, 988x251px) Image search: [Google]
1461277987463.jpg
51KB, 988x251px
>>52646095
>>52645993
>>
>>52644662
>Not having the bard take illusion spells
>Turns out you were swiping at thin air the whole time.
>You hear some distant laughter.
>>
>>52646110
gibe sauce
>>
File: barae.jpg (167KB, 354x500px) Image search: [Google]
barae.jpg
167KB, 354x500px
>>52646110
>>52646117
>>52646095
> not liking a big bara elf
>>
>>52646124
>body hair on elves
disgusting. come back when that pic has been shaved.
>>
>>52643550
I find Warlock the most fun as a multiclass. I started Rogue until level 4, then went Warlock to pick up Hex (which synergises well with Rogue's dual wielding advantages), the Extra Attack from Bladelock, and some of the invocations (Devil's Sight and Darkness work well).

I'm looking forward to picking up Hunger of Hadar, too, looks cool. I don't suffer from a lack of spell slots much, we don't do much dungeon crawling, we spend most of our time travelling on a cart, so short rests are quite frequent. Even if they weren't, the spells are more advantageous for supporting your main means of attack than being a dedicated caster (which is why multiclassing with a martial works well).
>>
>>>52646185
>>
>>52642580
Play for fun, not to be the best.
>>
>>52643947
Rangers, Rogues, Fighters or Monks.

Rangers can be on a common mission issued by a druidic order.

Rogues can be either a thieves guild or a gentleman's club.

Fighters can be either a military squad or the local small-town militiamen.

Monks have the added flavour of monasteries being interconnected and the whole deal about being appart of the secular world + martial arts tournaments.
>>
>>52644201
It's at least a vague semblance of crafting rules.
>>
>>52644490
Moon Druid and wait for an ASI to become useful.
>>
>>52644509
You are everything I hate about the table top genre.
Back to /pfg/ with you! Shoo shoo!
>>
Are there rules for the order of taking actions?
Do you have to do your action first and then your bonus action or can you go bonus action -> action?
>>
>>52646306
Any order, and you can break up movement if you wish.
>>
>>52644059
Our party recovered an enemy hippogriff mount after it fell into open water and started drowning. The cleric flies around on it now, fireballing and healing.
The wizard hitches a ride too sometimes and the pair of them are like an AH-64 zooming in and raining death
>>
How would you make encounters with drow casters with summoning magic? Specifically the priests or whatever they are that have a 30% chance of summoning a CR10 Demon. Do you balance the encounter around them summoning the demon or not summoning it?

Also planning to have a campaign where some sort of elves (drow/high or both allied as 'elvish race') are basically committing ethnic cleansing in the world and it's up to the PCs to stop them. The higher ups of the elves have demons granting them power and fueling their plans. How would you make elf BBEGs. The leader of the order of elves would be the biggest bad guy and he would send an assassin after the PCs after they cause his plans trouble. I also want to make basically swordmages for them, so guys with medium AC (13-15), shortswords and access to spells like lightning bolt, fire shield or flame blade and some other random spells. Just grab the drow stats and buff them up a bit?
>>
>>52644059
Our party got an assload of pegasi
It's pretty great for getting around and it's still balanced because people can just shoot the pegasi
>>
>>52645848
Have fun when Drizzt shows up to kick your ass
>>
>>52646755
Before you throw drow that can summon demon at the party, throw demon at them to see if they can competently fight it. If it's a fight that kills them/nearly kills them, fudge it and have the drow fail at summoning until the party can fight demons good
>>
>>52646817
>drizzt shows up
>oh my god my double!
>NOW NONE OF US WILL BE ALONE
>>
>>52642431
Yesterday, our GM "ambushed" us with a surprise round by having a black dragon emerge from a nearby swamp-lake, almost one-shotting more than half the party with its breath weapon. All this despite my character rolling nearly perfect on her perception roll (nat 19 + 12), allowing her to not only identify the dragon before it even came out of the water, but also giving her enough time to stop, turn around, and watch as it rose from the lake. However, she wasn't allowed to take cover (of which there was plenty) or warn the rest of the party, 'cause "dragon fear" — with no save, mind you. This is, again, in the GM's own words, despite identify the colour and presence of the dragon well before it had a chance to effectively stun and stupefy my character with a no-save fear effect.

I have literally never rolled my eyes harder. The encounter was pretty much just there to waste my character's spell slots on healing (as a cleric) so that she wouldn't curb-stomp the "boss" encounter with her anti-undead overspecialization.
>>
>>52646976
I feel like if you're actually a good person, Drizzt wouldn't immediately kick your ass. He might find it funny if you're actually entertaining.
Thread posts: 392
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.