[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unique Combat systems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: I will cut you.gif (1MB, 300x173px) Image search: [Google]
I will cut you.gif
1MB, 300x173px
In this thread, we discuss all of the unique Combat systems out there in TTRPGs
>>
>>52628491
How unique are we talking?

Are you just looking for some sort of list?
>>
>>52629121
>How unique are we talking?
It's either unique or not. There is no scaling.
>>
>>52629661
Well that's stupid. Something like GURPS is technically unique because of the scope and depth of combat it can cover, or does he want us to talk about some obscure Finnish RPG where combat is decided by rolling chicken bones and having the DM and player contest each other by seeing who can chug a battery acid the fastest?
>>
>>52629661
In FATAL there is a random chance each attack that you start raping your target, they take damage from this if their capacity of taking dick is lower than the size of the dick.

That's pretty unique but I doubt it's what you want.
>>
>>52629661
You have to compare with something, as, in a vacuum, everything is unique. And then you have games where parts are unique, parts are the same.

Like, is 5e's combat unique when it's just 3.5/4e with advantage instead of smaller modifiers? Is 4e combat unique when it's basically 3.5, but the units (players/monsters) are designed differently enough that the flow is entirely different?

I personally find that despite these being relatively small changes, they manage to differentiate combat a lot.

But maybe OP is looking for differences on the scale of Fate vs. D&D vs. Legends of the Wulin vs. Apocalypse World or something.
>>
In call of cthulhu, when attacked you get to chose to fight back or to dodge. It's pretty good
>>
>>52628491

Been toying with the idea of using core stats as sort of "pre-wound" HP system - basically when someone does a fast attack at something the target takes "damage" to their DEX attribute, heavy smashing attacks do the same for STR, grappling does CON, various magic does similar damage to mental stats until they run down, at which point a wound system comes into play for damage, regardless of the source.
>>
>>52632560
>"pre-wound" HP system
You just described hit points.

It's an interesting idea, though.
>>
>>52629684
Sure sounds Finnish to me
>>
>>52628491
>everybody has pins
>when theres a conflict they begin to stab one another with pins
>first one to bitch out loses
>DM gets thick paper armor cause he's going to get stabbed most.
Beauty of the system is that it gets faster as more and more people decide they hate your ass for thinking this is fun.
>>
>>52629748
how does that work?
>>
>>52632560
Traveller sort of uses this, wherein instead of HP (or wounds) you take damage directly to your attributes, first END and then STR and DEX. When two are 0 you pass out (iirc) and if all three hit 0 you die. The idea of different attacks damaging different stats sounds sort of arcane. I feel like if I jab you three times then throw a haymaker then I shouldn't expect to be hitting a fresh pool of resistance.
>>
>>52632560
In 'Rocket Age' your stats are also your hit points. You can decide with every hit you take how to distribute your damage among your attributes.

Say you got a hit to the head so you take damage to your awareness, coordination and ingenuity.
>>
>>52636987

>Guy A attacks Guy B with a knife
>Guy A and Guy B both roll % dice
>Guy A wants to get lower than his Brawl
>Guy B may choose to roll lower than his Dodge (if he wants to Dodge) or his Brawl (if he wants to fight back)
>If Guy B gets a better degree of success than Guy A while dodging, he takes no damage
>If Guy B gets a better degree of success than Guy A while fighting back, Guy A takes damage

It runs pretty smoothly. If you're getting shot at you can even fight back by shooting back, I think-- it is basically a matter of risk, since Dodge has a much higher floor than fighting skills (everyone will have Dodge = to half their DEX).
>>
>>52628491
Nechronica's pretty neat but it only works for zombies or maybe robots. You've got hit locations and each hit location has several parts. Each part has an associated move. Damage breaks one or more parts. So for example if you take a hit to the legs you might break your leg bone parts and lose the ability to move. However there's still a shoulder part in you arms that let you move at a higher cost so at this point you're dragging yourself around.
>>
>>52632560
>Been toying with the idea of using core stats as sort of "pre-wound" HP system - basically when someone does a fast attack at something the target takes "damage" to their DEX attribute, heavy smashing attacks do the same for STR, grappling does CON, various magic does similar damage to mental stats until they run down, at which point a wound system comes into play for damage, regardless of the source.

Sword Path glory has this.

Sex, age, height, str and speed, weight you carry stat influence max speed.
Sex, age, height, str, speed, weight you carry dextery stat influence acceleration.

I said height, age, sex and str influence stuff, because thats how you find your real strength.

The damage you receive can influence your real strength and so will influence the stuff related to it.

You can even use a smaller % of your real strength (and so stuff related to dex and speed stat) to heal yourself in a faster way
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.