[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D&D Classic Moral Dillemas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: 389135627_171141f7cd_b.jpg (147KB, 1024x695px) Image search: [Google]
389135627_171141f7cd_b.jpg
147KB, 1024x695px
Kobolds Dilemma (Killing an enemies young)
Prisoners Dilemma (Treatment of POW's)
Live by the Sword (What to do when somebody pulls a knife during a tavern brawl)
Collateral Damage (Casting fireball too close to an ally)
Watch Duty (not posting watch, not taking shifts)
Theft while on watch duty (stealing shit from other party members while on watch duty)
Accomplice to Theft while on watch duty (not saying anything when you're watch partner steals something)
Murder while on watch duty (killing other party members while they are asleep)

Anybody got any more?
>>
>>52623097
All of those Collateral Damage on down aren't moral dilemmas, they're clearly black and white. Moral: don't kill party members, don't steal from party members.
>>
>>52623097
Not Killing an Abomination when it has proved a threat
Not Banishing an Abomination when it has yet to prove a threat
>>
>>52623139
The moral dilemma isn't the act, its what should you do when it happens. As the groups paladin, you need to convince the party to act, or risk fighting solo.
>>
>>52623177
>Not Banishing an Abomination when it has yet to prove a threat

I see far too many people willing to harbor grotesques without shielding them from the light of day.

You can not take you're pet beholder to the market dressed in rags on a high holy day.
>>
>>52623097
Kill it
Kill it unless you need info
Depends on local laws
Only bad players do this
You can't really force them, I don't want a grumpy pc forced into watching over me while I sleep
Kill him
Kill if he tries to intervene
Oh fug, I'd rather run away at that point
>>
File: 1457287312789.jpg (28KB, 420x449px) Image search: [Google]
1457287312789.jpg
28KB, 420x449px
>>52623097
As I mentioned, the moral dilemma isn't the act, its what to do when somebody commits the act.
>>
>>52623139

I think you could make the thieving one less black and white if it's for a story related item. For example, party memver is holding onto x item with the intent to do x, another disagrees and says it should be used for x. Both are staunch enough in their beliefs that they can't come to compromise, so character does what he feels is right in the situation. As long as people don't take it personally, it can make for an interesting story plot.

But if it's for money or greed, yeah that sucks.
>>
>>52623252
>You can't really force them, I don't want a grumpy pc forced into watching over me while I sleep

Not going on watch resulted in two TPK's during actual play sessions. How can you're DM not enforce this? Wandering Monsters and Random Encounters are a thing!

Also, "only bad players do this" means that it is going to happen sooner or later. You have to make the call.

Otherwise, very good responses.
>>
>>52623266
Did you not watch "Lord of the Rings"?

Did fucking Sam steal the ring off Frodo? No he did not.

What you're talking about is a fantasy trope used in childrens stories, its about immature people who sometimes take things that don't belong to them and being taught a lesson then being forced to give it back.
>>
>>52623326

>badwrongfun

Ok. Sorry for thinking that there are different ways to create a story with characters who have flaws and don't make the right choices all the time.
>>
>>52623252
see, most people without any field craft will crap on the first two responses, but he is correct. If you have no way to harbor a POW, are in hostile territory, and the enemy still poses a threat, you MUST kill them or they will simply go on to kill others.

The first one is also the most brutal truth about warfare, that violence begets violence. If you kill their parents, and there are still young, they will grow up to wage war against you, perpetuating the cycle of violence.

You have either 3 choices, indemnity (giving them what treasure you can spare and sending them on their way) condemnation, (mercy killing) and redemption (seeing to it that they are adopted and cared for)

The third, while preferable, is not always an option.
>>
File: index66.jpg (17KB, 301x168px) Image search: [Google]
index66.jpg
17KB, 301x168px
>>52623350
Why I don't allow Kitsune, Kender, or Ravencraft in my game
>>
>>52623406
the problem with indemnity is that you are basically writing a raincheck. You are ultimately responsible for everything those younglings do, so if they grow up start a dragon cult its on you.
>>
>>52623350
imagine you were in the trenches in ww2, you were low on ammo, and somebody stole a magazine off of you while you slept.

You'd want to cut that guys face.
>>
File: cheeky kender.jpg (17KB, 302x300px) Image search: [Google]
cheeky kender.jpg
17KB, 302x300px
>>52623139
>don't steal from party members

But Kender?
>>
>>52623593
see
>>52623466
>>
>>52623593
>Prisoners Dilemma (Treatment of POW's)
>>
>>52623593
also
>>52623326
and
>>52623517
>>
>>52623620
you're thinking of the Spanish Prisoner's Dilemma
>>
>>52623645
>google
>you are secretly a noble, pls gib me money
This is a weird scam.
>>
>>52623692
Well, fuck.
>>
>>52623097
More Riddles
Eating Inappropriate Things
Sampling Potions
Cowardice or Inaction during combat
Ineffective Action during combat
Not knowing what a god damn staff sling is
>>
>>52623139
>>52606419
>>
>>52623139
again, its not the act, its your response to it.
>>
>>52623097

I can relate to these two that has been pointed out:
>Cowardice or Inaction during combat
>Ineffective Action during combat

How about simply not liking a party member? I mean, you like the person OOC, but your character just have absolute no reason to like his/her character. And all that comes with that:

- Refusing their idea purely out of spite
- Screw them over whenever you can
- Attacking them
- Killing them
- Pretending you are okay with them and stab then when you have the chance to do big damage

Also, some other shit like:

- Have your own goal that goes against the party's goal. (ex: party goal is to save a prisoner, yours is to kill him/her)

And at last, something that I would like to try but its really hard to pull it off (and people might hate it):
- Serial killer character. Not like "i will try to kill everyone" teanager character. Being seriously messed up that you eventually crave for killing people in a specific way. Got this idea from a series that one of the characters just kill people when he has the chance to be with them alone, and cut one of their finger off (and keep as trophy). I think it would be cool to do that without any other player knowing, just you and the DM. Starting with NPCs but maybe eventually trying a player. Shit now I want that lol
>>
>>52623971
I think you are thinking of a different kind of game. An RPG where the players are set as rivals is clearly going to be different than one where they are ostensibly gathered together for some purpose.
>>
>>52624099
And just for the record, I don't think either types of gamers are going to be welcome at each others tables.
>>
>>52624099
>>52624125
Sorry, I thought "RPG" standed for "Role Playing Game"...

When I role play, my character has a personality and shit, and I can't be sure the character will be 100% into the other characters and what they do or want to do. When everyone is deep into role playing, there is conflict of personalities, ways of thinking, goals, etc. And I think its a big dilemma when that gets to a breaking point.
>>
>>52624158
Anon, do you know what a primadonna is?
>>
>>52624200
Not really. Always heard that word, but it always bugged me that I never got the meaning of that (btw not native english speaker here)
>>
>>52624158
Have you heard of the term "stage-hog"?

cause thats what you are.

I'm telling you right now, you have to learn how to share the limelight or you are going to spend the rest of your life on the outside looking in.
>>
>>52624233
> Have you heard of the term "stage-hog"?
No, never heard of it.

> limelight
not sure what that is either
>>
>>52624254
Go stick your dick in a light socket
>>
>>52623097
>stealing shit from other party members while on watch duty
>killing other party members while they are asleep
The answer is to not play with shitheads.
>>
>>52624272
Yeah, but if you invested the time in organizing a pick up game, there are lots of new people, and one of them turns out to be a shithead, you need a way of dealing with it.

You can't just say, "Fuck it, I'm out!" You have to handle it in character and ride out the rest of the evening or scrap everything and everyone goes home angry and unhappy.
>>
>>52624333
I've always been curious as to "why" they act like shitheads.

Why do people deliberately try to sabotage play groups? What the hell gets into them? Why do they get this sudden bug up their ass to fuck people over?
>>
>>52624379
I think its actually kind of ironic, and actually kind of sad, because they are so afraid of being excluded that they deliberately sabotage any attempts people make at friendship and inclusion.

I know when I was a kid I had a bad experience with role playing games, a group of older players were just really shitty and used the game to pick on younger players.

I mean, they were just sort of harmless pranks like you'd play on your little brother, like taking him out on a snipe hunt, but they were really mean spirited.
>>
>>52623097
Basically, when a group makes an effort to exclude you, they are taking advantage of the fact that you are over-eager to be accepted by them.

Instead of just being honest and saying, "you are a little young" or a "bit too immature", they let you tag along like a little brother.
>>
>>52624379
Its like, "You angry at your dad, nigga." Don't take it out on helpless peasant folk.
>>
File: XrHc1gDORei1q.gif (618KB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
XrHc1gDORei1q.gif
618KB, 260x146px
>>52624200
>>52624233
>>52624267
Seriously, if you are going to make a critic at someone, at least explain that shit. You guys went like "dude, you are so #########", then I was like "uh, can you explain what that is?" , then it went to "go stick your dick in a light socket". Wtf. I have absolute no idea what I did to hurt your feelings, I was just trying to understand what you guys were going on about...
>>
>>52624551
Stop playing dumb.
Or if you really are that dumb, stick a warm hairdryer up you ass.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (55KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
55KB, 1280x720px
>>52624663
I'm not playing dumb. You guys used terms I explicitly said I don't know what they mean, out of the blue I might add, then instead of explaining you guys just threw some curse words at me. I don't even know what I did wrong... there was a thread about moral dilemmas on RPG and I thought I could give me input on the topic. Then everyone is like "fuck you, your opinion makes me angry, argh!".

Why roleplaying is something to be frown upon? What is so bad about it? What the fuck "primadonna" or "stage-hog" means? Why you lack the ability to be civil?

If you think I'm the source of all evil (which apparently you do), at least let me know why so I can improve.

> stick a warm hairdryer up you ass
Also, I don't own a hairdryer
>>
>>52624551
>>52624724
I want you to check out this website. Go to www.google.com and just check it out.

That's www.google.com.
>>
>>52624987
Yeah, right. That website still didn't explain why you assumed that, because I roleplay my character, that I necessarily try to steal the spotlight. Maybe you had some rough past with someone using "i'm roleplaying" as an excuse to be a massive cunt, but I gotta tell you that sometimes people just do it because its fun and everyone in the table ends up enjoying it.
>>
>>52625160
Because you turned on the speaker, derailed the thread, and ruined the discussion by interjecting your deliberately asinine interpretations of a what a morally sticky situation was and how to handle it without a mission fail or TPK.
>>
>>52626912
And you know that while I personally might choose not to engage you, that someone here would. And that by doing so, you would receive attention.
>>
>>52623097
>Killing enemies young
Do it. They're monsters, overgrown pests. I wouldn't falter at smashing a cockroach's nest of eggs. Monsters are no different, and deserve no sympathy.

>Prisoners
Don't take them. They're a burden. Prisoners must be looked after and fed, which is far more hassle than it's worth. Treat an enemy's surrender as you assisting their suicide. Only spare one's life when absolutely necessary. Treat an enemy's surrender as a suicide, as you wouldn't expect them to keep you around either.

>Knife in a tavern brawl
I hope I was the one pulling the knife. Bringing fists to a knife fight is an easy way to get killed, and dying with the most honor still makes you dead. You see a knife, things just got deadly. Use full force.

>Collateral damage
Don't do it. Friends are hard to come by, they are most likely more valuable than whatever it is you're trying to accomplish with that fireball

>Watch Duty
If they someone won't cooperate then they don't get any of the treasure when we fight loot.

>Theft on watch duty
Punish the thief, maybe kill them.

>Accomplice to theft
They're innocent

>Murder on watch duty
unforgivable
>>
What're some good PrCs for Chaotic characters?
>>
>>52623801
If I was a party member and saw you abandoning another party member to a spider, I would immediately kick you off or just leave if that wasn't an option. Like seriously, how could any other party member trust you at that point?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.