[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Tropes that always choke you up. >The villain who knows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 82

ITT: Tropes that always choke you up.
>The villain who knows he's an absolute monster so he desperately clings on the last shreds of his humanity he has left in a last ditch attempt to keep the abyss from consuming him completely.
>>
File: Boromir's death.jpg (133KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
Boromir's death.jpg
133KB, 1920x800px
>The hero takes a crippling blow and gets knocked down
>Fighting to stay conscious while the screams of his friends/the innocent echo in the background
>Hero painfully staggers to his feet and continues powering through the enemy
>Takes insane amounts of punishment before he finally goes down for good
>Bonus points if he gets knocked down and picks himself back up again and again
It doesn't even matter if he succeeds or fails, this trope always manages to be gripping either way
>Pic related, first example that comes to mind
>>
>>52615453
Why didn't he just stay down and play dead to fool the orcs?
>>
inspector kido did nothing wrong
>>
>>52615614
The orcs were taking Merry and Pippin, he was trying to save their asses
>>
>>52615453
This will always be a classic.
>>
guy sacrificing himself to save the girl

actually last stands of any sort.

they don't choke me up, though, i actively fantasize about them.
>>
File: Objective- Survive.png (3MB, 1969x619px) Image search: [Google]
Objective- Survive.png
3MB, 1969x619px
>>52615453
>>52613610
>Minor re-occurring villain
>You learn bits and pieces about them as the story progresses
>They're hardly the worse evil in the game, let alone related to them.
>Obvious final battle with them when they're at their peak
>Kill them and get unique loot
>Don't kill them and make them your ally
>>
A jaded paladin who hates his selfless job of saving people, but continues doing it despite it, because "it's a job that needs to be done, and if not me - then who?".
>>
>>52615614
Apart from >>52615698, orcs eat dead people. It's not a good idea to play dead with them.
>>
File: tenor.gif (328KB, 498x372px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
328KB, 498x372px
The animal companion dies.
>>
>>52613610
A well-done last stand gets me. Absolute certainty of death, the option to flee, and the completely free choice to stand, fight, and be annihilated to a man, all because they believed in something greater.
>>
>bad guys rely on large numbers
>bad guys lack emagination and can be easily tricked using a little bit more of a tactical thinking
>bad guys are overly confident and naddow-minded
>bad guys are shown as dumb and/or uncivilized
>bad guys don't value lives of their own men and throw them into suicide attacks without remorse

I know it's supposed to give players a feeling of moral superiority, but damn.
>>
File: Hopeless.webm (72KB, 362x316px) Image search: [Google]
Hopeless.webm
72KB, 362x316px
>>52615914
the animal companion has a grave next to the heroes.
>>
File: Zero Requiem.jpg (63KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Zero Requiem.jpg
63KB, 1280x720px
>>52615813
>Good guy becomes villain in order to focus hatred on himself
>His defeat ends a major conflict as the opposing sides united to stop him
>The world becomes a better place but hardly anyone knows the truth
>People will always remember this hero as a despicable piece of filth
Gets me every time
>>
>>52615979
>hero does this to one of his friends/teammates in the name of the greater good
>accepts the enormity of his betrayal and allows himself to be brought to justice
inb4 >>>/co/
>>
File: Black Knights.jpg (82KB, 1010x568px) Image search: [Google]
Black Knights.jpg
82KB, 1010x568px
>>52615949
>Bad guys are vastly superior in terms of numbers, resources and overall military strength
>Bad guys are overconfident scumbags
>Good guy chessmaster strategist wins battles by using guerrilla tactics and using their own strength against them
>Exactlyasplanned.jpg
Even better when the strategist is overly dramatic and has his own special theme that plays whenever he causes a shitstorm
>>
>Hero captures enemy lieutenant
>Turns out they are pretty decent people and work for the bad guy not out of sharing his ideas but because he owes him for saving their lives
>Party takes them to far away place to stand trial/be executed/be imprisioned
>On the way they become good friends with them. Bonus points for lovers with one of the main heroes.
>Halfway through, villain thugs ambush them. Assumedly to free lieutenant.
>During the fight it becomes clear they just want to kill lieutenant so it doesn't spill the beans on the villains plan.
>Lieutenant visibly heartbroken.
>Get to trial, whatever. Confesses to everything and allowed themselves to be taken to the headman's block without fighting.
>Look their friends in the eye and say something on the lines of "I'm sorry I can't betray him. But I do hope you defeat him. Farewell, friends."
>>
>>52616011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7TAAw3oQvg
Answer to your picture.
>>
>>52615453
>>52615929
Both of these. Facing down against hopeless odds until the hero or small force is utterly obliterated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC7_qPCflnY
>>
>>52616043
Forgot link, whenever this plays you know shit just got real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ybY00x49B4
>>
>>52613610
>Heroic figure
>Usually in some kind of leadership position against whatever the main threat is.
>Knows with 100% certainty her or she isn't up for the task, doesn't have the power or skill or whatever it is to actually beat the evil.
>Desperately looking for some kind of lifeline
>Often pushed into the leadership role despite lack of ability to do it, won't evade the responsibility because despite knowing he or she is inadequate, there's no obvious better choice.

I can't find a good picture, but someone like Prothall.
>>
>villain is assassinated midway through his speech

>villain doesn't know the full extent of the power he holds, which becomes his undoing

>villain gets what he wants, on the conditions he wants. Turns out, it's not what he really wanted

>villain is actually just trying to save a loved one. He tried to be legitimate but that got nowhere so he turned to villainy

>Heroes defeat villain, gain his power, become variant villain

>Heroes defeat villain, gain his power, realise that it's hard to not follow his path

Any of these
>>
>>52616065
jew get out
>>
>>52616100
What is anime cliche for 1000$
>>
>>52616107
No.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGb10dNy26A
>>
File: bb.jpg (41KB, 800x447px) Image search: [Google]
bb.jpg
41KB, 800x447px
>>52615979
>>
>>52613610
>Hero with dark past questions wether they deserve a second chance.
>Character wants nothing more in the world than to stop their fight and live a quiet life, but accepts this isnt possible.
>Hero knows he cant win against impossible odds, but faces it with a defiant comment anyway.
>Coming across the scene of some long past Hero's death.
>Hero goes beserk on people shit-talking a newly dead ally - bonus if said ally was an ass who redeemed himself in death.
>Riding off into the sunset.
>Hard fought happy endings that are actually happy without a forced twist.
>>
>>52615453
>Go to cinema to watch that with granpa when I was young
>Granpa starts crying to that scene
>"what's the matter?"
>"don't worry, just reminded me of stuff"
>>
>Heroes and Villains both had a similar start
>Only thing that kept the good guys good was the fact they wanted to be the good guys
>Villains didn't do anything wrong until a critical tipping point
>Both parties just want to either be stopped or finish their job.
>>
File: Ambrose_Burnside2.jpg (7MB, 3107x4095px) Image search: [Google]
Ambrose_Burnside2.jpg
7MB, 3107x4095px
>>52616100
>>
File: 1457481264893.jpg (207KB, 687x613px) Image search: [Google]
1457481264893.jpg
207KB, 687x613px
>>52615914
>the hero dies but the animal companion doesnt
>>
>>52616195
this is why I consider it a blessing and a curse that my granddad is dead. He fought in the Polish Resistance, I imagine he could have told me some shit, but I'm not sure i'd have been able to handle it
>>
>Hero suffers great losses and despair throughout their journey
>By the time the journey reaches its climax the hero is almost completely broken and has nothing waiting for them to return to
>Hero performs a heroic sacrifice, their last words are about how they have nothing to lose anymore
>At least this way they can go out knowing they did some good
>>
>>52613610
>Protagonist isn't the Hero
Gets my dick hard every time so long as it isn't expressively stated from the beginning.
>>
File: 1486850079950.gif (365KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
1486850079950.gif
365KB, 500x275px
>>52616195
Holy shit
>>
File: trynottocry.jpg (4KB, 166x90px) Image search: [Google]
trynottocry.jpg
4KB, 166x90px
>>52616220
>animal companion tried to wake the hero
>they aren't waking up
>oh well, guess I'll lay here until he does
alternatively
>does so only long enough for the hero to realise they're dying and say goodbye
>>
>>52616217
Dude right in the feels man, Burnside was one of the only half decent people to make commander of the Army of the Potomac prior to Grant arriving as General in Chief. He knew he wasn't made for it and did his best, and it lead to all those brave lads at Fredericksburg dying ;____;
>>
>>52616226
>>52616234
Worst thing? I never gave it a second though till I grew up, I was a kid back then, but now I can't ask him because he's dead
>>
>>52616245
sorry to hear, anon.
hope he got to see his friend
>>
>>52616227
>Hero is broken with nothing to lose.
>Then he finds something worth fighting for.
>The final fight has him almost back to his old self.
>Dies with the knowledge he was able to do some good in the world.

If I was a big Wolverine fan Logan would have emotionally destroyed me
>>
File: tired.jpg (100KB, 736x1137px) Image search: [Google]
tired.jpg
100KB, 736x1137px
>>52613610
I posted this in the other trope thread but:
>Immortal becomes close friends with a mortal
>Immortal must stand and watch as their ally wastes away and eventually dies
>bonus points if the immortal is the only one left to mourn their friend
>double bonus if they would trade their immortality to be with their lost friend

Those last two actually happened in a group I've been with for a while. I got kinda choked up over it.

Also:
>the hero loses someone important to them in a battle, or sudden accident
>all they can god is shout 'no' over and over and over again.
>>
File: sigh.png (19KB, 238x268px) Image search: [Google]
sigh.png
19KB, 238x268px
>>52616309
>>can god
wtf? That's supposed to be 'can do.'

Note to self: do not post after a twelve hour shift
>>
File: 1351196092217.jpg (168KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1351196092217.jpg
168KB, 800x800px
>>52613610
>Villain have collosal advantage and literally cannot be beaten (god tier)
>Protagonist know that he have no chance to survive or win but still try to beat villain - he must do this to protect his loved one
>Hero and his lover is annihilated with one, cold, merciless attack of villain.

I love scenes where hero stands against undefeatable enemy and he have no chance of victory.

>homura vs valpurgisnacht
>willard & lion vs bernkastel
>>
>Villain's plan sounds evil at first
>Heroes kill him
>Later find out his plan was actually to delay or stop an even bigger bad guy/group from initiating their plan
>>
>>52616571
I have never seen this implemented well. Every 'The Villian was a Good Guy all along!' twist comes out of nowhere and just feels cheap.
>>
File: 1482325283532.jpg (120KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1482325283532.jpg
120KB, 1440x810px
>the hero and the villains lieutenant fight
>exhausted but evenly matched, they both take a break
>eventually start to talk
>turns out the lieutenant isn't all that different from the hero
>same farmboy background, same hunger for adventure, same idealistic wish to do good
>but instead of the heroes kindly old mentor, lieutenant got the Big Bad
>one bad choice lead to another, and before he knows it, he's the 2nd in command of the evil empire
>conversation ends with both of them laughing, wondering how things could be different
>resume the duel, hero kills lieutenant
>hero gives lieutenant a proper burial, continues his journey

bonus points if lieutenant was potential romantic interest
>>
>>52616621
Fable 3
>>
>>52616621
snape
>>
>>52616641
I weep for your generation
>>
File: 1484516513441.jpg (160KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1484516513441.jpg
160KB, 1920x1080px
>>52616641
>well done
>fable 3
>>
>>52616621
>>52616641
Villain was good only works as a non-twist. It has to be heavily hinted at that he's doing bad things because there's something on the horizon that's worse than what he's doing, or it feels cheap.
>>
Hero that's been fighting for an eternity and just wants to give up and die, but knows that their leadership and martial prowess is the only thing keeping their family/loved ones/ race alive

St celestines newer stuff reminds me of this
>>
>>52616816
Brandon Sandersons Shardblade books
>>
>>52616641
Fable 3 was hot garbage overall, but the way that pulled that shit was the worst part. Then to add insult to injury you get your turn at making the choice to be a tyrant or to let your kingdom be decimated.
>>
>Joke Villain could actually be one of the most powerful beings in the world if he was more smart/ambitious/etc
>>
>>52616309

>Immortal is always distant and cold towards allies
>Does it because he doesn't want to get attached knowing he would outlive his friends
>>
File: 1470977709172.jpg (90KB, 446x550px) Image search: [Google]
1470977709172.jpg
90KB, 446x550px
>>52613610
>two side characters develop a loving and respectful relationship
This one is often oddly in MC relationships that are somewhat unhealthy, when you look at them.

>villain that comes over to the heroes, over time is so one of them it's hard to remember they were a villain in the first place
This is typically best done in long-running series like Dragonball; the risk there being that a show might get to shit before that particular trope can really be felt.

Then there are a few that don't really "choke me up," but turn my crank in general.
>normal person capable of keeping up with somehow-superpowered heroes through sheer efficiency
>when crank-ass choreography/animation are paired with a soundtrack that does perfect justice
>the most dangerous member of the party is the one least willing to do violence; this is best if they're the most dangerous by a hilarious degree a-la Logen Ninefingers
>characters who are seen as bumbling and incompetent but have been exceptionally professional and efficient the entire time, their silliness being a clever ruse--extra points if hints can be seen with an eagle eye or on a rewatch
>mooks that are actually efficient and scary, established through more than just the one token "fear the bad guys," scene
>a slow build-up of characterization and genuinely careful writing end up toward violence--and that violence is beautifully directed with the same TLC as the rest of the film
>>
>>52617150
I'm actually more fond of the opposite.
>immortal knows he'll lose these friends, but wants to know them so closely and remember them so vividly that no matter what, they'll never really be dead
>>
>>52617251
oddly in contrast with*

Jesus fuck.
>>
>>52617096
Hate this
>>
File: 00112.jpg (78KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
00112.jpg
78KB, 960x540px
>>52613610
>>
>>52613610

> the villain knows he fucked up and is doing everything in his power to keep the world together but in doing so must be a tyrant
>he knows the world is doomed when he is defeated by the heroes but as he dies he hopes the heroes do a better job than he did
>>
>>52616010
what's /co/ about this?
>>
>big scary dude is also the nice/smart one
>villain has a perfectly reasonable, relatable goal
>the lieutenant is more evil than the BBEG
>>
>>52617677

I love this shit, and I think that's why I loved TTGL so much. All the villains were trying to simian make the universe not fucking die, then these fucking shits come along and run everything.
>>
>Recurring "Villain" was just a normal creature that was taken as a slave and broken through torture.
>Only speaks in grunts and pained screams
>So far gone that even when their master/chains are gone, and they can be free, they keep doing as they were told.
>Keep getting back up whenever knocked down
>Only stop when the put out of their misery

This is the story of a dragon in my campaign, but I'm positive it's all tropes, I just can't think of where I got them.
>>
>>52617096
>Joke Villain actually is one of the most powerful beings in the world but just uses it lightheartedly because he got sick of actual keikakus and moustache-twirling evil back in the late neolithic
>>
>the crazy merchant that always has the rarest most pointless shit for sale and asks for strange things in return or is generally enigmatic and charismatic enough to make you buy it.
>rat from thrilling intent
>armless merchant from my last session
>>
>>52617251
>>characters who are seen as bumbling and incompetent but have been exceptionally professional and efficient the entire time, their silliness being a clever ruse--extra points if hints can be seen with an eagle eye or on a rewatch
Reminder that Snoke is Jar Jar Binks
>>
File: boards.4chan.org 1472872223346.jpg (50KB, 456x456px) Image search: [Google]
boards.4chan.org 1472872223346.jpg
50KB, 456x456px
>>52615914
>Playing Shadow of the Colossus
>Make fun of the horse for the whole game with my little brother
>Final Colossus
>Horse falls off the bridge
>Our faces when
>>
>>52617644
>they don't
>>
>>52617796
I really loved that series. I've been meaning to read it again
>>
File: Kingdok.jpg (286KB, 1028x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Kingdok.jpg
286KB, 1028x1040px
>The minor villain is wants the hero to kill him
>>
>>52617667
Not him, but the film version of Watchmen fits the bill
>>
File: boards.4chan.org 1471522710274.png (263KB, 700x511px) Image search: [Google]
boards.4chan.org 1471522710274.png
263KB, 700x511px
>The two closest friends of the group have a dramatic rift in philosophy and cannot allow the other to succeed
>>
>villain has their tactics and abilities turned on them and then some
>suddenly with their one major advantage they are instantly on the back wall, forced to endure the same seemingly futile struggle their victims were
>>
>>52616641
Teach me to be a Hero...

Screw you all, that might have been a shit game but Walter was a good character.
>>
>>52613610
>Icy calm brilliant villain.
>Restrained, even in the face of adversity, often shrugs off temporary setbacks with the calm assurance that they can still turn this around.
>Until one day something not only happens that they don't expect, but it hits one of their few heartstrings
>And then they completely flip the fuck out, lashing out in an apoplectic rage.
>>
File: T957hVC.gif (3MB, 199x206px) Image search: [Google]
T957hVC.gif
3MB, 199x206px
>>52617857
God that rat dude fucked me up. He lost his arm, tongue, eye too I think? And the end he's still going even though he doesn't even care anymore.

He wasnt even a redeemable villain, but it was still so sad to see him die.
>>
>>52616641
I'm not gonna front like Fable 3 was good, but I did really like a few things about it. The "usurp your brother, only to find out that he was right all along" was a good, if not poorly executed, twist.

My biggest disappointment with the game, though
>Find a buried desert mausoleum with statues of Jack of Blades everywhere
>Jack of Blades doesn't appear as the final confrontation

I was expecting that literally until the credits rolled.
>>
>final drag out fight between hero and villain
>absolute slogge, fight is uncomfortably long
>they throw everything at eachother, men, guns, monsters, machines, weapons
>fight is reduced to two tired near naked fighters tiredly still trying to lay blows on eachother
>>
File: tumblr_nclrukgscN1sjjy6mo7_1280.jpg (73KB, 811x474px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nclrukgscN1sjjy6mo7_1280.jpg
73KB, 811x474px
>Woman who has chosen a path devoid of family briefly displays a motherly side when dealing with children and briefly wonders what might have been
>>
>the heroes are a close-knit group of friends at the start of the journey
>by the end, through tragedy and hardship, many die, at least one becomes a new villain, and the others all separate and refuse to talk to one another
>>
>>52617978
Hell, in Fable 2 I was expecting the whole game for you to get to the wish portion and for not-Kreia to steal the wish to ask for her brother back only to find he put on the mask at the end of Fable 1.
>>
>Hero gets betrayed
>Spends the rest of their days living in isolation, miserable, filled with regret and anger
>Meets new heroes who remind him of himself and his friends
>Breaks into tears

Altenatively

>Old man crying
>For any reason
>>
File: W2ORC3B.gif (533KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
W2ORC3B.gif
533KB, 500x280px
>>52618096
>>
>The villain realizes they were wrong
>It's already far too late to right their wrongs
>>
>Young adult character
>worn down by trauma and acts more like a bitter old man
>is slow to recognize new connections after losing more then one circle of friends and family
>only really sees after theyre gone
>if they hide their face often, it's revealed that they have really really fucking tired eyes
>if they do die, they just say something akin to "sleep... at last sleep" or "I'm coming home"
>>
The antagonists isn't necessarily bad, and the protagonist isn't necessarily good
>>
>Happy conversation
>Character accidently uses the name of his long dead friend by accident when talking to someone who reminds him of them.
>Immediately goes somber and politely excuses himself from the conversation, holding back tears
>>
I wouldn't say that these choke me up, but
>Plucky comic relief/side character makes meaningful contributions to the plot/can hold their own
>MC is the comic relief
Looking at you, Joseph Joestar
>>
>>52618444
>what is Big Trouble in Little China for 100, Alex?
>>
File: 1476459692686.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1476459692686.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>52615914
>Hero gets betrayed
>Spends the rest of their days living in isolation, miserable, filled with regret and anger
>Meets new heroes who remind him of himself and his friends
>Breaks into tears

>Then mans the fuck up and joins the new young heroes as their mentor in a glorious redemption quest
>>
>>52618664
meant for
>>52618096
>>
>>52617667
Sounds like he was referring to Cyclops
>>
>>52617251
I've noticed this a lot in manga where the main couple is bland or outright horrible.

I'm assuming this is often due to editorial mandates
>>
>>52617702
And most villains join up the fucking shits because their goals align and they are impressed by the fighting spirit
>>
File: boards.4chan.org 1480724559165.jpg (106KB, 564x560px) Image search: [Google]
boards.4chan.org 1480724559165.jpg
106KB, 564x560px
>The budding romance and eventual power couple story have nothing to do with the MC
>>
>>52617826
What series is this?
>>
>>52619054
Mistborn, starting with The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
>>
>>52616100
George Washington 101
>>
File: black_guy_behind_piano_smirks.gif (2MB, 200x180px) Image search: [Google]
black_guy_behind_piano_smirks.gif
2MB, 200x180px
>villains keep trying new things to stop the protagonist by sending assassins etc. after the protagonist for research purposes
>protagonist barely survives the first few attacks
>protagonist keeps getting stronger and stronger
>villains escalate the conflict and keep pushing the protagonist hoping to gain more data
>protagonist gains/reveals inhuman powers and absolutely obliterates the villains while they could have killed him at the start if they hadn't gotten greedy
>>
File: theWanderer.png (540KB, 1571x765px) Image search: [Google]
theWanderer.png
540KB, 1571x765px
>>52613610
Same.
>>
File: 1136780-hope_mercy_5.jpg (433KB, 474x999px) Image search: [Google]
1136780-hope_mercy_5.jpg
433KB, 474x999px
>>52613610
>the villain has a pair of henchmen or bodyguards
>they may not even care about the implications of their actions, or even understand them, but they have a job to do
>we see them in the background occasionally as a cutaway gag, observing the actions of the main cast or influencing the story behind the scenes

Bonus round
>they're law enforcement of some kind
>the protagonists easily brush them aside in a direct confrontation
>we see one of them visiting the other in the hospital later
>>
>Villain turns evil to save loved one
>Loved one is then horrified to lengths which villain went to, joins heroes
>Villain despairs and an heroes/tries to kill heroes out of spite

Star wars did this terribly, but most other examples I can think of are good
>>
File: G-Soldier_FFVIII.jpg (54KB, 279x327px) Image search: [Google]
G-Soldier_FFVIII.jpg
54KB, 279x327px
>>52620168
Bonus points:
>one is clearly the 'boss'
>>
File: 1488423700438.png (777KB, 869x310px) Image search: [Google]
1488423700438.png
777KB, 869x310px
>The antagonist gets exactly what they asked for.
>>
>>52613610
>>52615929
>>52616100
>Old leader/officer of the party stays behind to make a last stand against the monster
>Speech about how "in all my years I've never come across people like you - make it count."
>Forces remaining protags to abandon him by sealing the exit or the like
>Digs up old training/experience from back when he was a young soldier/adventurer
>Actually puts up a decent fight against the boss

>"Did we do it? Did we make a difference?"
>"Oh, yes. We made a difference. Thank you."
>"Least I could do for the captain of the Enterprise. It was... fun."
>>
File: 1490738499695.jpg (38KB, 311x345px) Image search: [Google]
1490738499695.jpg
38KB, 311x345px
I tend to put a lot of depressing shit my stories.
Here are a few of my favorites.

>Minor villain is actually just kind of an asshole.
>PCs encounter him several times and eventually befriend him and help him learn how to be a hero in his own right.
>He dies heroically protecting the kind of people he used to oppress.

>PCs befriend a group of comedy relief characters.
>They are all killed in one swoop.

>Stoic hero dies on the battlefield.
>The heroes meet his friends and family and learn about his softer side.

>Immortal hero lives long enough to see all of their friends die.
>They go mad trying to find a way to bring them back and eventually become a broken monster who must be put down by the PCs.
>>
>>52616245
Within a year of my grandad dying, I got a school assignment to ask him about his most vivid young memories. He said the one memory that stood out the most was listening to the high school morning announcements once a week or so list the graduates KIA in Korea.

To my eternal regret, my other granddad died before I was curious about such things: he lived grew up in the Great Depression, saw the Virginia Tech flood, and graduated from the Corps of Cadets just in time to be assigned to the crew of a troop transport deploying to mainland Japan, only to hear of the surrender when he was halfway across the Pacific. I could also ask him about a family member who got a Distinguished Service Cross and a Wound Chevron in WW1
>>
File: there is no greater feel.jpg (91KB, 885x1024px) Image search: [Google]
there is no greater feel.jpg
91KB, 885x1024px
>>52621038
Bonus addition to each of those:

>PCs tell the people of the villain's sacrifice, and in return they honour him and his change of ways

>Comic relief characters imitate PCs
>Everyone assumes they're con artists but it's just a genuinely dedicated homage
>They are all killed in one swoop by a monster/boss who assumes they're the actual PCs

>Heroes always assumed stoic hero was just a generic 2D macho man stereotype
>Always made fun of him over it
>Talking to family, they found out he still told them elaborate, bard-worthy stories of his heroic "adventures" with his "best friends"

>One of the PCs inherits the immortality
>Once it starts to show, his friends see the cycle starting again and try to put him down too
>He ends up killing them in self-defence
>>
>groundhog day heroes constantly improving their power level and going through cycles of depression/fighting spirit
Eg higurashi no naku koro ni, madoka

>hero is really dumb in his training but actually super extreme and doing an incredible job like shirou in fate.
Shirou should have had a little bitch og a magic circuit because he didn't inherit a great family power, but he made his own from scratch, like hundreds of times, and each time it almost kills him, and tohsaka is like, holy shit you're retarded.
>>
>>52617734
It definitely is tropes, but damn the only thing i can come up with is Game of thrones, it was definitely a trope before that.
>>
>Villain desires a strong power
>Hero gets that power
>Hero and Villain clash, Hero completely overpowering the Villain, but they won't give up
>Hero decides to give up the power and let it go away because that's the only way out
>Villain becomes absolutely broken, having lost total purpose
>>
>>52616084
Fuck man, this is one of the few chinktoons I ever watched and I remember smiling to myself as the plots unveiled to this.
>>
>>52616195
>60 years from now
>take my grandson to see lord of the rings 14
>rehash of this scene
>start tearing up
>"granpa whats wrong"
>"don't worry anon jr, it just reminds me of some greentext"
>>
>>52617267
>Immortal has been alive for so long that memory has failed.
>Only extremely tragic and sad events stay vivid, good and joyful memories are forgotten.
>Only way to remember a companion ypu care about deeply is if they died tragically.
>Tfw you have to strangle your best friend yourself while looking them in the eyes and saying "I will always love you." if you want to be able to remember what they were to you.

Nonmen have it pretty bad.
>>
>side character meets their rival
>completely outclassed in everyway
>defeated with contemptuous ease
>rival tells them to leave "Go home, this life isn't for you"
>character stands back up "I can't step off this path."
>rival leaves them alive, but broken. "I can not bring myself to senselessly end something so magnificent!"
>>
>>52613610
This, plus
>On the brink of defeat, uses his last breath to help the heroes succeed, before dying
>>
>>52621823
>grandson
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>52622319
fuk you're right, grandthey
but this isn't /r9k/
>>
>>52620002
I find nothing but darkness when I reverse image search this. Source?
>>
>>52621310
>Comic relief characters imitate PCs
I don't like this one, simply because I don't like larger-than-life PCs. I prefer my PCs to be just people, who are trying to survive.
>>
>>52616117
I mean, yeah, but it's not really anime exclusive. Usually in the west it's portrayed as more of a good thing.
>>
>the old warrior treats his weapon like his best friend
>>
File: 1442773819200.png (283KB, 475x457px) Image search: [Google]
1442773819200.png
283KB, 475x457px
>Hero has lost everything throughout his journey but remains positive because he needs to be the anchor
>Final battle
>Shit's getting fucked up
>Holds off to let friends escape before activating power that makes him god-tier but ruins their body
>Hands villain's ass to them with extreme prejudice
>Disintegrates with a smile at the end

The alternative is when they don't actually want to die, but they have this hot-headed mentality that makes them say "fuck it, this guy needs his ass kicked and that supercedes my desire to live". I have a soft spot for that kind of drive.
>>
>>52622648
That's the thing - they're not comically overdone, it's just that the comic relief characters are little more than literal cosplayers

>>52622966
>...and immediately loses will to fight after it's shattered, getting wiped the fuck out
>>
>>52615453
Imagine a villain that just won't die and always gets back up.

>party remains too dumb to just ignore him and do their own thing.
>>
>>52615453
Man, Boromir got jobbed in the movie. In the book he gets shot by like twenty arrows, here it's just what, three?
>>
>>52616621
1st Mistborn triology
>>
>Post-apocalyse
>Old guy still reminisces about the old world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX5SLerz5WA
>>
File: 1455177354385.png (107KB, 273x302px) Image search: [Google]
1455177354385.png
107KB, 273x302px
>two characters who are friends/family meet after being seperated for years or even a lifetime by war or some other circumstance
>they don't recognise each other at first

;_;
>>
>>52615614
LOOKS LIKE MEAT'S BACK ON THE MENU BOYS
>>
>>52622601
Diablo II
>>
File: 1490993580355.png (382KB, 890x640px) Image search: [Google]
1490993580355.png
382KB, 890x640px
>>52615914
>>
>villain wants macguffin item
>heroes destroy macguffin item
>villain wanted to destroy it anyway
>>
>>52622422
>grandson (female)
>>
I'm a sucker for the prison escape. I love playing it, I love GMing it.
>>
The out-of-his-league hero who fights a battle he knows he's going to lose.

Looking at you, [Mumen Rider]. Who knew that fucking One Punch Man would make me ugly cry.
>>
>>52617989
Good
>>
>manipulative character has good intentions, but cannot connect emotionally without treating it as a battle of wits, thus alienating everyone around him
>finally comes out and is honest about his hopes, before his death, trusting others to carry the torch not through misdirection, but through genuine wish to fulfill his ideals
>faked his death the whole fucking time anyway
>>
>>52616227
>By the time the journey reaches its climax the hero is almost completely broken and has nothing waiting for them to return to
>Hero performs a heroic sacrifice, their last words are about how they have nothing to lose anymore
>At least this way they can go out knowing they did some good

>...and the world doesn't care.
>...it never did.
>...there never was a "Big Bad Evilâ„¢", just people with their flaws.

Ringil Eskiath may have been a faggot, in a savage fantasy world but his story cut awfully close to the truth. Ever wonder what the life of a hero would be like in the real world?
>>
People fighting against fate/destiny or just overwhelming odds in general.

Especially when it's not the heroes doing it, just ordinary people standing up for what's right.
>>
File: Seven-Samurai-Flag-300x211.jpg (8KB, 300x211px) Image search: [Google]
Seven-Samurai-Flag-300x211.jpg
8KB, 300x211px
>>52615745
>People young enough to consider this scene classic browse this board.
Jesus christ.
>>
File: 1398622011384.jpg (58KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
1398622011384.jpg
58KB, 768x576px
>>52613610
>rivals or enemies put aside their differences and team up to face a mutual threat
>turns out they would make a great team
>>
>>52626622
The movie's sixteen years old, man.

and also pretty good
>>
>>52626622
The scene is older than the movie, you know
>>
File: old-man-cloud.jpg (52KB, 504x277px) Image search: [Google]
old-man-cloud.jpg
52KB, 504x277px
>>52626622
>>
>>52626666
Peter Jackson is a hack.

>>52626667
Technically it isn't because you only ever get Pippin's second hand account of what happened to him.

Read the book instead of watching the movie you doof.
>>
Lost to nihilism and even failing that despite all the good (or even better, the evil) you may or may not have done with your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24RIl-vFBs8
>>
>>52621554
>groundhog day heroes constantly improving their power level and going through cycles of depression/fighting spirit

Just done playing Dark Souls. If you get into the lore it gets really dark:
>cursed to eternally resurrect, loosing a bit of your humanity every time
>told to overcome impossible odds
>learn that you were a pawn all along...
>if you do succeed, you've only furthered the goals of others
>neither path you take will turn out well
>>
File: Image.ashx.png (143KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.png
143KB, 223x311px
>adversary attacks hero, or adversary is an obstacle in the hero's quest
>hero defends themself, but takes care not to kill or maim the attacker, figuring the enemy may have a family that misses them, or that the enemy is just doing their job
>the adversary is touched by the hero's deliberate care and respect toward's their enemy

pic related is also my favorite flavortext in MtG off the top of my head

>>52616065
>>52616107
>>52616135
If you're going to post Sabaton, then I might as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jTgkTEDDog
>>
File: MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE.gif (565KB, 367x265px) Image search: [Google]
MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE.gif
565KB, 367x265px
>>52626914
>TRUE DEMON ENDING lets you break the cycle
>>
>>52626958
Still just Satan's pawn, faggot.
>>
>>52626973
I'm okay with that.
>>
>>52613610
> That one Lich boss in World of Warcraft whose raid dungeon has a fucking cat in it.
> It's literally just a non hostile normal sized cat.
> The Lich is literally the right hand man of one of the setting's main villains and serves him willingly.
> He still fucking keeps that cat he had when he was alive.
> You can kill it.
>>
>protagonists encounter menacing horrors that they struggle to avoid
>horrors eventually get one of them
>__________turns out they weren't bad at all, and were trying to help__________

example: Toy Story

I would like to make a similar scenario, but with humans as the "horrors" and the protagonists being a group of animals fleeing from their destroyed homes.
>>
>>52627064

>he curses you when you kill it and promises the army of the lich king will fall upon you
>>
>>52616227

>By the time the journey nears its climax the hero is almost completely broken and has nothing waiting for them to return to
>finds someone to care about at the 11th hour
>vows to make it through the final battle and come back to them
>Dies in final battle
>>
>>52627103
Kelly was a cool dude,
>>
>>52627118

>you never destroyed his phylactery so he is still kicking around

Feels good man.
>>
>>52617150
>slowly warms to party
>just as they're letting go of their fear of loss, the heart of the party (the guy that's always optimistic, smiling and friendly) dies

Bonus points if they died pointlessly
>>
>>52617644
So basically the main bads in Gurren Lagann
>>
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon spoilers:

>awaken in another world
>a stranger greets and befriends you, seeing as how you don't know shit about what's going on
>he has dreams he wants to pursue, but is too shy and hesitant to follow through
>uses his impression on you to get you to help him to his goals
>worked and traveled with him; consider him your partner and only friend
>catastrophe strikes, and you two must deal with it
>you realize that ending said catastrophe would cause you to cease to exist; you don't share this with your partner in risk of compromising the mission
>you succeed, but you start fading away
>you thank him for everything he's done for you, but your partner feels he should be thankful that you came along and turned his life around
>your partner is left with a huge void in his life where only memory and legacy of his first and closest friend remains, but he continues with his life knowing that is what you want him to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubn6-n_XTXY
>>
>Two parties of good guys have conflicting goals
>they clearly don't want to fight, but must in order to complete their goals
>>
I like the "anti-party". A group of bad guys (or competitors, or just sometimes-antagonists in general) that roughly approximate the power-level and abilities of the PCs.

Kind of like the "Gary Oak" to the PCs' "Ash Ketchum", they can be fodder for tons of different kinds of encounters or complications. And what's even more fun is that it's pretty much impossible to tell whether the PCs will decide that they're not so different after all, and maybe the other guys are worthy of respect, or that the other guys are huge fucking assholes who get in the way all the time and need to die immediately.
>>
>>52617030
The worst part is that you're perfectly capable of getting the money necessary to beat the villan without being a dick just by doing some basic investing.
>>
File: 1485857711184.png (311KB, 540x493px) Image search: [Google]
1485857711184.png
311KB, 540x493px
>>52618664
>MFW this is happening in my campaign
>MFW the old hero is still bitter and jaded as fuck underneath the ALL SMILES exterior, and will probably fight one of her old party members on sight
>MFW the tiefling is going to have to watch her mentor try to kill her mum
>>
>>52616242
fuck, you almost made me have a feel.
>>
>>52627345
also
Nia from Gurren Lagann
>>
>BBEG loses
>watches his army crumble and all his plans come undone
>uses last second plan to make the hero's victory bittersweet
>survives just long enough to watch this plan fail as well
>dies knowing that he has completely lost in every single way possible

Call me crazy, I just enjoy the thoroughness of making sure the BBEG is deprived of all hope before he dies. Bonus points if his last second plan is what accidentally kills him.
>>
File: 1430073449406.jpg (170KB, 697x1147px) Image search: [Google]
1430073449406.jpg
170KB, 697x1147px
>Nameless/Faceless PC is eventually no longer seen as a person but still seen as the hero
>Hero becomes worn down after many battles but manages to live into old age
>Old Hero defeats the villian but dies shortly after they do.
>The Party finds out it was of natural causes and not injury.
>He just had one last thing to do.
>a random child takes their armor/mask and becomes the next Faceless/Nameless Hero in honor bound duty to the Old Hero.
>Mask/Armor is still bloodied and beaten

>When the PC is dying and knows it.
>Offers to be the deadman switch for all the explosives.
>Manages to hold off enemy forces until his last breath and gets an explosive send off.

>When women die shortly after childbirth of a baby they wanted very much to be loving mothers too

>When the PC that spends his whole life struggling finally dies from a disease that no one knew about.
>Turns out he should've died years ago and the only thing that kept him going was a sense of duty when literally everything was failing.

>When the hero is actually a machine that has been fighting for years with no repairs and finally shuts down while never gaining sentience.
>Enemy forces being the only ones to ever actually remember and honor it for what is.
>>
>When the father/husband loses his wife and children.
>world just totally ends and literally, just lays in bed all day waiting for death.
>Finally gets up and goes out.
>Becomes PC devoted to preventing anyone else from needing to bury their children
>Saves the day many times yet is constantly haunted by the memories of his wife/children.
>Brings happiness to many yet never feels it himself as every victory is hollow.

>When the PC tries to save the child but runs away
>PC finds out child is afraid of smiles
>Only time child sees smiles is before its abused
>PC finds out the child dies alone and unloved one snowy day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2tJ3tzb4u0
>>
>>52616621
Kotor 2.
>>
File: SpookyDebating.png (7KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
SpookyDebating.png
7KB, 500x500px
>>52627735
I'm interested.
>>
File: WickedChivalrous.png (79KB, 269x294px) Image search: [Google]
WickedChivalrous.png
79KB, 269x294px
>>52628192
Respectful enemies just fuckin gets me in general, man. Whether it's the mooks honoring someone they knew was above them, or the enemy leader honestly respecting their opponent and being genuinely sad that such a great individual has passed, it's almost always great and it feels like I don't see it nearly enough.

Bonus points if the bad guy snaps at someone, verbally or physically, for disrespecting the fallen.
>>
>>52613610
>Forced to do horrible things to protect the world, becomes the Villain
>Villain's best friend/apprentice/lover must hunt down and stop them
>Climactic battle where Hero is forced to kill Villain
>Only then realize everything Villain did was to unite/save world
>Hero must keep sacrifice a secret or else it would have been for nothing

I love a villain who became what they are as a means to save the world everything thinks they are out to destroy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEBSp-fkNog
>Cried like a baby
>>
>>52628713
Gimme a bit to finish what I'm doing and I'll get a TLDR together.
>>
>>52616050
This sounds interesting. Any examples?
>>
>BBEG has been using powerful lieutenants to do his bidding
>holds political office and uses indirect power to fight heroes
>when the heroes finally face him, he fights using magic/power armour/goon squads
>when the heroes finally bring down all his defenses it turns out that he played college ball ya know
>>
>>52618069
the rolling stones?
>>
File: 1433261871584.png (3MB, 2021x2750px) Image search: [Google]
1433261871584.png
3MB, 2021x2750px
>>52613610
>the villain became like this just to defeat a greater evil
>after the hero defeats him, he has to defeat him in the future but this time he is just a puppet of the greater evil
>>
>>52613610
>Parent/grandparent takes on the douche supreme, despite being heavily outclassed and most likely dying in the process
> Not because of hate
>But love for their children
>>
>>52616621
I actually think this was legitimately well done with Itachi Uchiha from Naruto one of the only things I liked about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 620x400px
>Character fails to deliver important news on time
>>
>>52621038
>PCs befriend a group of comedy relief characters.
>They are all killed in one swoop.

When this happened in M.A.S.H. it FUCKED me up
>>
>The old, retired hero steps in when the heroes are getting their shit kicked in
>dispatches the foes despite his failing body through sheer experience, but can't quite keep up, and sustains a fatal wound
>manages to eliminate the current danger anyways, and collapses
>"haaa, I guess these old bones aren't quite up to it anymore. The rest is up to you."

>Heroes clash with the BBEG's right hand man in combat often, though for one reason or another, the battle is never concluded
>Heroes charging the enemy castle/dungeon/etc. for what will definitely be the final encounter
>he's waiting for you outside the final chamber
>no words are said, but he gives a proper and respectful salute to his worthy foes before he engages
>>
File: asd.jpg (347KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
347KB, 1920x1080px
>the antagonist doesnt actually want to fight the protagonist
>not because hes scared but because he respects him
>>
>>52626622
I mean the trope you fucking moron.
>>
>>52629409
That was more Letho genuinely considering Geralt a friend; they'd saved each other's lives and helped each other out repeatedly.

It wasn't Geralt's fault that he had amnesia, and so Letho didn't hold it against him.
>>
>>52629409
>>52629523
Letho was very good antagonist, too bad TW2 was shit.
>>
>Anime tropes: the thread
>>
>>52618069
Dragonlance?
>>
>>52615879
I've always been a sucker for the stoic who forgoes his own happiness to fo what he knows must be done.
>>
>>52616220
>animal companion watches over the grave for the rest of its days
>>
>>52617150
>party member dies
>immortal takes memento
>adds it to collection of thousands of mementos of fallen comrades
>>
File: Tg039.jpg (31KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Tg039.jpg
31KB, 512x384px
>>52617749
This.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-03-14-15h36m55s80.png (1MB, 1920x1038px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-03-14-15h36m55s80.png
1MB, 1920x1038px
>>52616309
;- ;
>>
>>52613610
>that post that involves the "word" trope

numale shit
>>
File: Ff8-seifer.jpg (8KB, 150x273px) Image search: [Google]
Ff8-seifer.jpg
8KB, 150x273px
>Protagonist's rival is similar to him, except one is loud and brash while the other is a silent rule follower.
>Each has a silent respect for one another
>Rival and protagonist both do what they think is right and end up falling on different sides
>Rival and protagonist constantly clash, never being able to strike the final blow on the other
>At the end of the game the rival is defeated, laments about his 'romantic dream' and then lives a quite life on the sidelines, regretting that it went as far as it did.

Bonus points
>The reason he lost is because he didn't junction a hundred spells to his attack stat
>>
File: benkei.jpg (27KB, 299x450px) Image search: [Google]
benkei.jpg
27KB, 299x450px
>>52615453
>The hero dies standing
>>
>>52623028
My problem is, why would you bother cosplaying as a random shmuck who's just trying to survive?
>>
File: feel it.jpg (41KB, 900x711px) Image search: [Google]
feel it.jpg
41KB, 900x711px
>under-hero takes massive damage
>Succeeds in quest/objective but knows their wounds are mortal
>drags themselves to a vantage point over looking the field of battle as they see their side win
>the clouds part and the sun shines
>they smile, then slowly, quietly, there head droops downwards as the camera pans out & the orchestral music plays

OR

>Two star crossed lovers, destined to never be together/torn apart/taken from their lands
>They took her from you Anon
>You erect a statue/tie a talisman/use her hair in your faveroite glade
>the years go by, many struggles & battles both outwardly and inwardly
>A rag tag group of young heroes finally take up the cause you have been fighting your whole life
>You join them, first begrudgingly, then as a teacher, then as a father figure
>After many battles the end is near
>You know in your heart of hearts that an old dog can never learn new tricks
>and so you trick them, not out of malice but love, in to going a way/locking the portcullis that keeps them safe as you battle on your own
>You are the Last of a Long Gone Age, rusty old fashioned armour clings to your weathered and scarred body
>no one more needs to suffer for your choices
>not any more
>After a series of events the Young heroes win the day and celebrate as you quietly disappear
>You return to the glade where you first and last loved
>And resting in front of the tree/statue you can hear her Anon
>She's as beautiful as you remember, luminous like moonlight
>You feel so tired, so weary
>She takes your hand and lays beside you
>You can rest now Anon
>She's waiting for you
>And as you close your eyes the young heroes find and gather around you, holding back tears as you tell them
>It's alright
>After all these years, after so, so long,
>I'm finally going home...
>She holds out her hand and you stand as a young man again,
>You embrace one another after so many ages passed
>And walk in to the other world to spend eternity together
>just as you promised one another
>home
>>
File: home.jpg (86KB, 570x350px) Image search: [Google]
home.jpg
86KB, 570x350px
>>52630608
PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS AS YOU READ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xButjfhZWVU
GET YOUR FEELS READY
>>
File: Charge for the guns.jpg (75KB, 888x446px) Image search: [Google]
Charge for the guns.jpg
75KB, 888x446px
>Villain holds to a rigid code of ethics
>Very publicly executes one of his underlings for violating his well known code

>Warrior hopes for a valiant death in battle
>Knows he's doomed to die of old age
>Tries leading near-suicidal charges on the enemy, stops when he realizes that this only makes his men die pointless, tactically worthless deaths.

>Immortal or in some way unassailable villain holds courage and valor in the highest esteem
>Ordinarily cool, calm, and collected, but becomes terrifyingly enraged when he witnesses an enemy exhibiting cowardice
Bonus if he is respectful and almost venerates those he sends to their honored deaths, and if those he considers cowards are just out of their depths

>Heroic charge into certain death
>Like there's no avoiding it, this is certainly going to kill everyone here
>Into the valley of Death rode the Six Hundred

>Hero has lost all of his companions, but his family yet survives
>Confronts the Villain intending to return to his family, settle down, and live the life he intended to before shit hit the fan
>Defeats the Villain, but fails to pay attention to some crucial detail, thinking about the future
>Dies a slow humiliating death, crying for his family
Bonus if his family never finds out how he died

I can't actually think of any particular example for this last one, but
>Heroes set out to defeat the big bad evil
>Finally make it past all of his defenses
>He's old as hell, senile, and really just some old guy who's lost most of his capability of reason
>All of his defenses were set up autonomously, bureaucratically, or in some way that they would continue long after his death
Even better if this isn't particularly unexpected, such as having his old age be a particularly odd point in the journey, and there being confusion as to how he's still alive. Also if he exhibits moments of clarity that make the heroes understand that he's definitely the one who did all this, and that he was definitely their superior.
>>
File: arrrrrrrrr.jpg (162KB, 604x768px) Image search: [Google]
arrrrrrrrr.jpg
162KB, 604x768px
>>52630608
>>52630628
Or this one.
Fuck. I'm crying again. I'm such a soft cunt ;_;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7MLT4MmAK8
>>52623010
>Holds off to let friends escape before activating power that makes him god-tier but ruins their body
>Disintegrates with a smile at the end
Not yet, not yet...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KufFjcWOUQ
>>
I miss you dad.

Love you.
>>
>horde of enemies are coming
>one guy stays behind to hold them off
>emotional arguing but eventually they leave him
>right before the horde arrives he feels a pat on his shoulder
>best bro came back to fight with him
>>
Goodbye, mission control. Thanks for trying.
>>
>>52630787
Or the one where the rest of the group have to drag his best bro kicking and screaming away because he refuses to leave him?

Gott damn this thread is making me feel it.

And yet it's oddly powerful. Like, just overwhelmed and feel like nothing can stop you because you WILL finish this once and for all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42MAk4_DBFc
>>
>>52630808
See you space cowboy.
>>
>>52616050
I read a book with this in it last week, it was great. Dude was an orc who found jesus but because the evil orc was his only living relative he was blood bound to work with him.

Real good.
>>
File: War never changes.jpg (86KB, 562x408px) Image search: [Google]
War never changes.jpg
86KB, 562x408px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEY7Ton1gO4
>>
>>52621725
So basically the plot to Megamind
>>
>>52616050
That's literally a spec-script I wrote for a short film.

Feels good knowing that the story is strong enough to be created independently.

In mine the Lieutenant confesses,
helps the Hero, but the Hero's political masters still sentence him to be executed by firing squad in a foreign country. The Hero tries to get Lieutenant free, but Lieutenant reassures him he appreciates the time they spent together.
And at dawn the next day, as the Sun rises above the concrete and barbwire walls, the Lieutenant can see the outlines of distant hills that remind him of his home country.
>>
>>52626334
>"Not sure if Code Geass" intensifies
>>
>>52630927
Manly tears were shed, anon.
>>
File: Neuro.jpg (23KB, 478x361px) Image search: [Google]
Neuro.jpg
23KB, 478x361px
>>52613610
>Heroes don't know what the villain looks like/True Villain hasn't been revealed yet
>There's a reocurring non-gag NPC/Side character
>Doesn't seem to do much but show up every once in awhile the place the group is in
>Has been following the heroes since they left their first area (Maybe even before)
>Is, of course, the final villain in disguise.
>It could be someone in your campaign right now
>>
>>52630927
For some reason i'm thinking of the Spanish civil war reading this. Or maybe something in the balkans.
>>
File: the fool.jpg (629KB, 2500x1870px) Image search: [Google]
the fool.jpg
629KB, 2500x1870px
>That one seemingly innocuous fool character who, as the final battle draws near, reveals how much pain they've been hiding under their smile.
>>
>Heroes defeat but don't kill main villain, he flees swearing revenge.
>Heroes go on to fight next threat.
>It's a monster or creature of some kind.
>Heroes get their ass handed to them, badly.
>When beast is about to unleash the final blow and finish them, main villain appears out of the blue, receives the blow himself but wounds the beast deeply.
>"If someone's is gonna kill the bastards, it's gonna be me!"
>Heroes recover, defeat beast
>Former villain has a smirk on his lips, and lies dying in a pool of his own blood
>"ha! It seems you won again, heroes."
>Dies.
>>
>>52629931
>animal companion watches over master's grave, which contains dangerous item that got his master killed
>refuses to give item up to the only other friend it has because it doesn't want to lose anyone else
>is willing to fight to the death for that end

God damn it the tears are here already
>>
>>52631078
Similar, but expanded:

>Party gets annoyed at that one guy who never take any threat seriously and is sorta chill or laughing at everything

>Find out he had a family, daughter, a wife, a dog. All destroyed by the main threat and he was just a few minutes late to save them all

>He doesn't take threats seriously because he's already dead inside.

>He is always smiling because he doesn't want to share his pain.
>>
>>52631034
>Manly tears were shed, anon.
;_;7

>>52631054
>For some reason i'm thinking of the Spanish civil war reading this. Or maybe something in the Balkans.
Interesting, may I ask why you feel that way?

I might revisit the script, I love writing bitter-sweet, sublime melancholia themes/stories; feel like the only time I can allow myself to cry besides on stage
>>
>>52631037
the "clumsy" old dude in the bar in Zatoichi who turns out to be the BBEG
>>
>>52615879
>>52629916
"I had to do it. Someone else might have got it wrong." - Mordin Solus, creator of the Genophage
>>
File: me tbh.jpg (115KB, 746x1302px) Image search: [Google]
me tbh.jpg
115KB, 746x1302px
>>52631098
>He doesn't take threats seriously because he's already dead inside.
>He is always smiling because he doesn't want to share his pain.
Fuck.
Why are they so good to play?
I love playing Fool characters. They can levity or severity to so many situations.

plus it's basically how I act irl anyway but in game I can "play out" my "character" with more... Conviction. That 4th wall.
>>
File: spiral power.jpg (42KB, 637x355px) Image search: [Google]
spiral power.jpg
42KB, 637x355px
>>52613610
>hero delivers I'M A HUMAN speech at the darkest moment to inspire himself and others
>>
>NPC is a dick throughout campaign
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ypVZGntVg
>>
>>52631181
The model of a modern gentleman...
>>
>>52631200
> not 'the very model of a scientist salarian'
get out
>>
File: we go on.jpg (45KB, 540x301px) Image search: [Google]
we go on.jpg
45KB, 540x301px
>>52613610
>ITT: Tropes that always choke you up.

The Grief Berserk.
>>
itt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkBXrenRhPQ
>>
>>52627345
Mystery dungeon was top shit man
I found Grovyle's sacrifice to be even more heartbreaking though
>>
>>52631111
Hard to say but after thinking for a bit, the whole inevitability of the tragedy, or perhaps the fact that it was perfectly preventable from a practical stand point, but certain and inevitable when you take into consideration the moral stance of those involved, reminds me of Hemingway and "For whom the bell tolls". Which is set in the Spanish Civil War. Also most movies that end up with a sad, melancholy tone are often indie cinema and that's common in the eastern block countries, which also often are about war.

In a way, I'm a sucker for how the characters know things are gonna end up bad, but none is willing to give up their moral beliefs to prevent it, yet they are rooting for the other one to cave so they don't have to carry on that path. It's like a game of chicken but only after the lieutenant is whisked away for execution that everyone realizes they could've just backed off and that could've been avoided. But then it's too late. It's when someone realize that a minute ago they could've made everything better if they had the insight they have now. But a minute ago might as well be a million years and a million miles before they can't go back.

The tragedy of timing. Indie cinema explores that well.
>>
>>52631192
Fuck, that part really got me. This game has amazing storytelling.
>>
>>52631111
Quads demand it!
>>
File: yugioh is het.png (1MB, 1060x593px) Image search: [Google]
yugioh is het.png
1MB, 1060x593px
>>52631037
VECTOOOOOORRRRRR!!!!!
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 270x186px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 270x186px
>>52631089
Poor Sif
>>
>>52631181
Mordin didn't create the Genophage. He was just part of a team that was tasked to modify it because the Krogans were evolving against it.
>>
>>52613610
>supporting character calmly accepts suicide mission while reassuring protag a that he'll be fine
>let's them leave him behind with a jovial farewell
>his last moments will be a blend of pain, fear and isolation
>he knows this beforehand
>he smiles nonetheless, for the others
>>
This is not a trope but happened in a WHFRP game set on the Border princes territory:

>Group is constantly fighting beastmen trying to protect settlements from being overwhelmed
>Eventually finds chaos artifact in cave who is controlling the tribes to act as an army more and more rather than separated entities, wanting to gather a mass of beastmen, and eventually spills them across the mountains into the Empire and beyond. Really bad stuff.
>Questing Knight, Two twin sister mages and ranger manage to rig cave to collapse with gunpowder, with a trigger to be set from the outside.
>Battle issues. Fuses are destroyed. Someone has to stay behind and blow the place up.
>Sister A and Questing Knight are in love, Sister B is sorta of a bitch to him because sisterly jealousy.
>He offers to stay back so they can run away.
>Last moment, Sister B take his place, pushing him from a short ledge he wouldnt be able to climb back to ensure he would run.
>Sister A looks heartbroken as her twin, which she was very close, is about to die.
>Sister B tells knight to take care of her and casts a final spell. One that erases all memories of the caster from one's mind.
>Ranger, Knight and Sister A escape cave.
>Loud Explosion, huge chunk of the mountain collapses.
>Ranger goes away to live his life
>Knight is the only one who remembers the sacrifice. He's happily married and can't tell his wife she used to have a sister knowing it would crush her.
>>
>>52630815
fuck that reminds me of my most recent dnd session.

>scholar PC has repeatedly been saying that the party should leave the town and not confront the desperate-turned-evil religious people.
>party says it's fine, disgraced knight who was kicked out of his order for failing his oath to protect his charge swears to protect scholar if things go sideways
>scholar still opposes the idea but comes along because they are his friends
>things go sideways at the church, party starts to flee
>scholar falls behind and is caught and visibily cut down by the frightened believers
>the only person who opposed the idea is the one who pays with his life for it
>whole party has to pull the knight who has now broken his second oath along so he doesn't charge into his death.

Feels were had.
>>
>>52616195
>>52616226
>>52616245
>>52621289
>tfw grandpappies are dead and can't tell me about the wars
>tfw father had a stroke when I was young and can't remember enough to tell the tales now that I care
It hurts to see history escape.
>>52616220
>>52616242
>>52627797
>>52629931
>>52631522
Animal companions are my weakness, loyal beasties murder my soul.
>>52618096
>>Old man crying
>>For any reason
>>52627345
>>52631325
I fucking loved those first two games.
>tfw have a Grovyle on the team to fill the void
>>
File: IMG_6475.png (3MB, 1920x1131px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6475.png
3MB, 1920x1131px
>>52617267
>>
>>52631037
see >>52617778
>>
>>52615914
Fuck Archie in Hell for making me feel real feelings
>>
>>52615979
Itachiwank was a cancer that killed Naruto
>>
>>52616648
Snape wasn't a good guy tho.
Ron was right: there is literally no evidence that he switched sides for ideological reasons, only that he wanted revenge for Lily's murder at Voldemort's hands. He is still the same bigot he was back in his school days. As late as book 7 (through the pensive) he calls Hermione a mudblood to Dumbledore's (portrait's) face. And doesn't apologize when he gets told off for it.
>>
>>52616404
>the villain is going to win, it's a foregone conclusion
>the only way for the heroes to triumph is to turn the villain aside after he gets what he wants
Hao becoming Shaman King by mass forfeit was a great idea.
>>
>>52630723
Fuck off nope
>>
>>52630659
>Immortal or in some way unassailable villain holds courage and valor in the highest esteem
>Ordinarily cool, calm, and collected, but becomes terrifyingly enraged when he witnesses an enemy exhibiting cowardice

Ehhhh, I prefer when a villain of this sort just breaks down, and either shits himself or tries to cheat in some ignoble fashion as soon as he realizes that he is outmatched and about to be actually killed.
>>
>>52628654

But no villains turned out to be good there.
>>
>rivals that hate each other only because they think the other genuinely does
>secretly respect each other and wonder if things could've went right in the first place
>Bonus if they find out

OR

>character is either neglected or a character seems neglectful
>at a character's time of need, help comes from the person whom they thought didn't care about them
>>
>>52613610
Whenever a Lawful Neutral character dies on the job I lose a bit of faith in humanity.
>>
File: 1491239695863.jpg (282KB, 1024x1268px) Image search: [Google]
1491239695863.jpg
282KB, 1024x1268px
>When the Evil dude still acts noble and just
>Yet slips back to being evil after a serious event.
>>
>>52630659
>>Villain holds to a rigid code of ethics
>>Very publicly executes one of his underlings for violating his well known code

>players use the villain's code to their advantage
>at the moment that would place the villain in conflict, he brutally violates his ethics

NE best E
>>
>>52627064

Kel Thuzad is the biggest bro in fantasy ever
>>
File: Shinangyoonshi.png (270KB, 586x422px) Image search: [Google]
Shinangyoonshi.png
270KB, 586x422px
>Hero manages to defeat villian after he died
>>
>>52618144
I miss Mako.
>>
>a hero that's brave but has no special powers or even skills finds in herself the power to take back her fate and body from oppression, has sex outside of marriage
>>
>>52631653
>supporting character calmly accepts suicide mission while reassuring protag a that he'll be fine
>let's them leave him behind with a jovial farewell
>breaks down in tears as soon as he's out of sight
>pulls himself together and goes to meet his end
>>
File: mooncrushed lovers.gif (219KB, 500x267px) Image search: [Google]
mooncrushed lovers.gif
219KB, 500x267px
I-I'm not crying, I just have water in my eye.
>>
>when the teenage hero gets over his childish bullshit just in time to be the man everyone needs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySY7HWYDyZQ
>>
>>52634861
>not using this
https://youtu.be/BI0gwjg0h2E
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4Jx76vSTk

>"You and I are opposite sides of the same coin.
When we face each other, we can finally see our true selves. There may be a resemblance, but we never face the same direction."
>"Yo Buddy, Still Alive?"
>>
File: 1450655018159.jpg (302KB, 1115x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1450655018159.jpg
302KB, 1115x1000px
>Hero is brought to their knees before [villain or catastrophe]
>Accepts their death, confident in their success for the overall mission or something they accomplished, safety of a loved one, whatever
>Informed by gloating villain, lingering spirit of death, or other happenstance that their goal still isn't complete; their allies or family or home is still in danger
>Total reversal of feelings, goes into a final resistant rage to do as much damage as they can or stop it before going out
Bonus points if they cause some inconvenience for the villain or otherwise aid their allies with this last bout, no matter how grim the odds
Bonus bonus points if this is not apparent til later, due to them indirectly saving others later or the villain forgetting something they did and glossing it over, or even them returning injured but miraculously alive and still furious
>>
>>52635064
>Second spoiler
Do you have an example of it?
>>
>>52635192
Not really a good one. I swear I've read/watched something where in their last surge a hero managed to damage a mechanism that later caused the villain's plan to catastrophically fail, or someone trodding out of a cave or over a hilltop covered in wounds carving through foes to return to their allies. But the closest things I can remember that are similar are Gandalf the White's return, but that's mostly in a time of peace and after he did in fact die, and Avdol's from Jojo but that lacks the setup and was just an asspull because the company wanted the popular character back.
>>
>>52626048
Fucking loved Mumen Rider, this is what a real hero should look and act like.
>>
>>52631190
>I LIKE TO EAT... CHILDREN
>>
File: Man-At-Arms.png (1MB, 1255x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Man-At-Arms.png
1MB, 1255x1080px
Old as heck veterans who see the world through very different eyes than the young adventurers but can still respect their naive worldviews

>The raw strength of youth may be spent, but his eyes hold the secrets of a hundred campaigns
>>
>>52630857
How the fuck do you post this but not the name of the book you god damn double nigger
>>
File: 10260408.gif (600KB, 291x386px) Image search: [Google]
10260408.gif
600KB, 291x386px
>>52619891
>that was the plan all along
>>
>>52639307
>protagonist going through routine shonen escalating power level fights
>BBEG fight time
>"what, did you think it was coincidence that everyone you fought was incrementally stronger than the last?"
Aizen's entire keikaku was a joy to behold. Especially "i could be lying. But then, why would you trust what I said before?"
>>
>>52632055
Is the latest season any good?
>>
>>52639440
It's a good thing the series ended with the conclusion of the Aizen arc.
>>
>>52626973
Satan != Lucifer in SMT
>>
>>52639573

Shit writing, but Peter Capaldi is fun.
>>
>>52626048
That got me too. Especially when Saitama said, "nice fight" . Even he recognized the courage that took. I'm also a sucker for Saitama carrying all that negativity from the people.
>>
>>52616571

The Empire did nothing wrong.
>>
>>52632440
Seriously, I always thought Shaman King was good, but the ending made straight up great for me.
>>
>>52639440
>i could be lying. But then, why would you trust what I said before?
If somebody is trying to WIFOM you, it means their chance of fooling you before they did it was less than 50%, so it's objectively the right move to completely ignore any statement of this nature. It only works if EVERY thing they say is this type of statement.
>>
I'm kind of trope-illiterate so I don't even know what to call this but it happened in a game I played in a few years back. We all cried and called the DM a bastard for making us cry.

>Go for final showdown with BBEG Evil Cleric
>Has big swole ass lieutenant to act as his muscle
>Every time BBEG heals the lieutenant the big guy winces
>Eventually starts begging to be put out of his misery
>Starts yelling about how he "doesn't want to forget anymore"
>Kill him, kill BBEG
>Looking through BBEG's stuff
>Book on necromancy
>Talks about augmenting healing magic by slowly degenerating the target's mind
>Every heal made the lieutenant forget more and more about his friends, family, and life

We discovered later that he had a wife and kids elsewhere in the kingdom that he sent away so they wouldn't be collateral damage in the BBEG's plans. Felt like dicks for hurting him.
>>
File: Azami.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Azami.webm
2MB, 640x360px
Somebody being horrified by how alien and wrong "absolute" virtue looks, and being shown how everything they consider good will eventually give way to what they consider bad for as long as they refuse adhere to that virtue.
>>
File: tumblr_o3a62f664b1rwjpnyo1_1280.jpg (67KB, 640x422px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3a62f664b1rwjpnyo1_1280.jpg
67KB, 640x422px
>>52613610
>soldiers from opposing sides unofficially ally with each other to fight a common enemy
It's even worse if they die while they do, not as enemies but as brothers in arms
>>
>>52623737
>when orcs have menus and restaurants
>>
>>52640531
Well then it works. Aizen's entire character, personality and powers alike, are based around dececption and lies. If his lie hadn't been uncovered during the B-plot of the SS arc, Ichigo might never have known about him. His first meaningful act is faking his own death.
>>
>>52617734
Painwheel from Skullgirls?
>>
>>52617531
This so, so much.
>>
>>52633904
>Oh what, my bud is becoming a physical God of death and is spreading a mind control zombie plague across the world to enslave all?
>Hol up my man, Imma go get my shit.
>Alright Imma skelly, let's go.
>>
>>52617251
>a-la Logen Ninefingers

Shit that man is fantastic.
>>
>>52630659
>All hope is gone, but i swear revenge
>Hear my oath!
>I will take part
>In your damned fate
>>
>BBEG is driven by love and loss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlaYDnbskj4
>>
File: tumblr_n9ub9tEKEC1rvk3joo1_500.png (142KB, 500x265px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9ub9tEKEC1rvk3joo1_500.png
142KB, 500x265px
>>52616233
I like it even then.

>Villain UNLEASHES AN UNSPEAKABLE EVIL, realises it's gonna cause more havoc than planned, or the ritual was fucked, heroically undoes their mistake
>Dead people getting back up because they got shit to do, famalamadingdong
>Minion betrays BBEG over superficially minor, but deeply meaningful slight
>The TRUE, UNTOLD STORY has to remain secret for the worldsaving to stick, leaving the heroes the only ones in the know
>>
>>52613610
Hero's who know they are going to their certain death and do it anyway. Rogue One was like porn for me. I had an enormous boner and a face full of tears. Fuck just thinking about Blue squadron lead by that general with the glorious Battle of Brittain fighter pilot mustache diving through that shield gate knowing it would close behind them and they would be trapped but dammit Rebels on the ground needed air support.
>>
>>52615645
Well, other than those mass graves and gassing innocent women and children, yeah he's super innocent.
>>
File: Frank.jpg (169KB, 803x1198px) Image search: [Google]
Frank.jpg
169KB, 803x1198px
>>52628522
Good taste on the first.

What the hell is the second?
>>
>>52630659
>muh alucard
Give me three examples of that immortal honorable villain that aren't him.
>>
>>52616217
>Battle of the Crater
>had specially trained USCT troops equipped to follow up the mine explosion and create a breakthrough.
>Meade orders the USCT troops withdrawn on political grounds several days before the main assault.
>Months of planning and Burnside's reputation is destroyed in the ensuing bloodbath.
Decent Union commander, but had some seriously bad luck.
>>
>>52648722
you were right about the first one being punisher

and the second was literally the song lyrics to Throw Away Children by Dio. I just lazily used that as the trope. Because it amused me to see if anyone would actually listen to the link.
>>
>>52627345
I thought that Hydreigon's sudden and rather brutal death in Gates was the saddest.
Hydreigon was genuinely lovable, then that scene suddenly hits your face like a ton of bricks.
>>
>>52617984
This. So much this. Especially if at the end each fighter helps the other in some way, to allow for one last fight on even ground. The final fight in MGS4 is like this, and I tear up every time.
>>
>>52631089
I never realized why sif attacked you even if you already saved them, holy shit
>>
>>52623085
It would have looked really silly in a movie. 20 arrows are also a LOT. Scene would have taken waaaaay too long, or it would have, again, been silly.
>>
File: Baron_Praxis_concept_art.png (2MB, 1029x1575px) Image search: [Google]
Baron_Praxis_concept_art.png
2MB, 1029x1575px
>Villain is irredeemable, willing to kill his own family to accomplish his goals
>is an oppressive tyrant, where people get executed to even being suspected of aiding the rebels
>tortured the main character for years, is the source of the main characters powers
>the main character has a burning hatred for the villain, that distracts him from his heroic goals
>an outside force threatens the villain's empire, and the villain is concerned with keeping power rather than saving his empire
>The hero and villain fight eachother as theyy try to accomplish the same plan, villain wins
>Villain's version of the plan doesn't work, so with his last breath, he gives the hero what the fought over for so long
>Not in an attempt to save the day or to make amends; he instead insults the hero and reminds him that it was always his(the villain's) city, and that he created the hero to defeat this enemy
> Dies with a shit-eating grin as he truly won, as the hero stands there furious, as both his vengeance and heroic goals were stolen from him.

Praxis was the best villain.
>>
File: Rx2Q5XA.png (41KB, 161x214px) Image search: [Google]
Rx2Q5XA.png
41KB, 161x214px
>>52616195
Why did you do this to me
>>
File: patron of drunken irish men.jpg (622KB, 1345x2036px) Image search: [Google]
patron of drunken irish men.jpg
622KB, 1345x2036px
>all is lost
>the heroes have failed and are dying
>the villain is laughing as he kills them with contemptuous ease
>but then...
>the world is saved by the will of a small child
>>
>>52631078
But doctor, I AM Pagliacci
>>
Daring Solo Suicide Mission to Save Everyone
>>Scene: Rebel fleet is hopelessly outgunned, attempting to retreat.
>This is Red 6, my hyperdrive is shot, won't be able to make the jump out.
>Get back to the cruiser Red 6, you'll jump with us!
>Negative Red Leader, it's too far. I'll see if I can buy you some time. Yub yub, commander.
>>Red 6 proceeds to yolo snackbar towards the nearest star destroyer, letting himself get ripped to pieces in order to get the perfect shot.
>>52615614
Because Boromir is a hero. That's not what heroes do.
>>
>>52653697
Here's a (You) anon, I thought he was pretty cool.
>>
>>52621038
>>PCs befriend a group of comedy relief characters.
>>They are all killed in one swoop.

>Overlord
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 82

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.