[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any examples of a post-apocalyptic space opera? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (124KB, 398x729px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124KB, 398x729px
Are there any examples of a post-apocalyptic space opera? I've got an idea for a setting about heroes cruising through ruined space, picking at the remains of their once great Galaxy-spanning civilization. Like Road Warrior in space
>>
File: db_destiny_144.jpg (314KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
db_destiny_144.jpg
314KB, 1600x900px
>>52607368
Destiny.
>>
The Foundation Books by Asimov. I mean, it doesn't have the road warrior vibe but it does take place after the fall of a galactic civilization with some conquering warlords who don't even know how any of their technology works, or even where the human race originates.

Just ignore the Foundation itself and all that stuff about time traveling robots remaking the galaxy to be perfect for humans.
>>
>>52607469
This.

The visual design, area visuals, whats actually there of the lore and music are all god tier or very close to it. I just wish something that wasnt the videogames came out in the Universe so it can be properly explored, especially since going by the teaser for 2 they're doubling down on pleasing the loot whore players instead of expanding.
>>
>>52607660
Fucking rng-based loot. I played the game since LAUNCH and didn't reach max level...
>>
File: a45791e92e2200b2496e2cf4eb1195d5.jpg (128KB, 1280x719px) Image search: [Google]
a45791e92e2200b2496e2cf4eb1195d5.jpg
128KB, 1280x719px
>>52607660
>the lore and music are all god tier or very close to it

Especially the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL0k_C5B3rY
>>
>>52607368

Get on my level faggots.
>>
BattleTech
>>
>>52607368
Battletech, Traveller: The New Era, Stars Without Number, Ashen Stars and 40k off the top of my head.

Dune, Fading Suns and Eclipse Phase are all post-apoc space opera but seem trickier to do mad max in specifically.
>>
>>52608484
>40k
>Post-apoc

I understand where that assumption comes from but I don't think 40k is anywhere remotely what people consider post-apocalyptic. Civilization didn't "end" in 40k, it just stagnated and corrupted.
>>
>>52608568
It ended a bunch of times. Long Night specifically. Also on a variety of individual planets. The entire eldar civilization collapsed, arguably the necrons and the old ones too.

If you're going for an absolutist definition of post apocalypse there isn't anything to have a game or story with because everyone is dead.
>>
>>52608663
>If you're going for an absolutist definition of post apocalypse

Not absolutist but I think OP probably wants something where the post-apoc stuff is more consistent. Destiny's a good example because outside of one city everything is basically just a wasteland dotted with the bones of what was.

40k meets some literalist definitions of the genre but it's still a poor example.
>>
>>52608767
Mans, if you can't make a post apocalyptic space opera out of a setting where entire sectors of space have become feral daemon worshipping cannibals with ancient chainsaw swords I can't help you.
>>
>>52608839
I'm just saying it doesn't fit OP's description. I don't really care one way or another. The main reason I myself wouldn't run a post-apoc game in the 40k setting is because I just don't like 40k

> I've got an idea for a setting about heroes cruising through ruined space, picking at the remains of their once great Galaxy-spanning civilization. Like Road Warrior in space

Is more like Destiny than 40k. OP is clearly thinking of a smaller-scale setting/game than anything 40k can provide. When I think of what he describes, I don't think of a setting where there's massive fleets of ten mile-long spaceships stationed out of manufacturing planets described as "Hive Worlds".
>>
File: Survival Margin.jpg (268KB, 717x984px) Image search: [Google]
Survival Margin.jpg
268KB, 717x984px
>>52607368

Traveller's The New Era was all about this. A lot of fans didn't care for it because they took a wide-open setting and blew it all to hell, making it all nearly as grimdark as 40k, but if you like post-apocalyptic space opera type stuff, it's pretty good.
The system's your typical super crunchy 90's autism fest, (which also put off fans of the lighter Classic edition) but it's easy to run with other editions/systems.
>>
>>52608906
Op here. What this guy said. 40k has too many fully functioning societies for what I'm looking for.

>>52609004
I'll have to check this out. When someone mentioned it earlier I thought they meant the new edition and was confused.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.