[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many dual lands are optimal in a sixty card surge deck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (134KB, 790x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134KB, 790x720px
How many dual lands are optimal in a sixty card surge deck
>>
>>
>surge deck
You mean bushwhacked zoo?
>>
>>52603950
No, it is a custom deck.
>>
>>52603827
Depends on the curve I assume. Post the list.
>>
>>52604023
11 islands
12 mountains
3 lavastep raider
3 umara entangler
1 Sphinx of magosi
1 pyrite spellbomb
2 shock
1 grip of the roil
4 goblin freerunner
1 windrider patrol
1 anticipate
1 blighted gorge
1 teleportal
1 lava spike
2 pyromancer's assault
1 izzet charm
1 dragonshift
1 rolling thunder
1 tightening coils
1 boulder slavo
1 reckless bushwhacker
1 tyrant of valakut
2 stormchaser mages
1 slip through space
1 expidite
1 cyclone sire
1 void shatter
1 weapon surge
>>
File: 1416599805606.jpg (47KB, 600x557px) Image search: [Google]
1416599805606.jpg
47KB, 600x557px
>>52604230
>>
>>52604230
Have you considered that instead of running 40 one-ofs you should try something more focused? Decide what your gameplay is going to be, cut all the cards that don't fit with that, and increase the number of cards that do work well.
>>
>>52604230
How casual is this shit?
>>
>>52604230
You need to focus your deck more, and if you're specifically going for surge you need to both focus on getting surge to go off and actually having it pay off when it does.
You've got too many non-surge spells, and too many that cost 2-3 mana. This is not a surge deck. Waiting until turn 5 to cast your three drop for one mana less is not a good gameplan.
Focus on the good stuff and the enablers, drop the overload stuff. If something is good, it's worth running multiple copies of. If it's not, don't run any copies of it. Don't go running a bunch of one-ofs.
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
4 of pic related if you have 'em. maybe a couple of terramorphic expanse or evolving wilds.
2 color decks don't really NEED much color fixing tbqh.
>>
>>52604230
I agree with everyone else when they say your overall strategy is unfocused.
You have a lot to learn, but if you're willing to take advice, you'll have a much better deck and most likely a lot more fun playing.

Your deck is currently Modern legal due to random stuff like pyrite spellbomb, izzet charm and dragonshift. The Modern equivalent of the strategy it seems like you're going for is Jeskai prowess.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/deck-creation-modern/592647-jeskai-prowess-aggro-tempo-the-jeskai-way
That is, if you're mostly interested in the 'cast small combos of spells' aspect of surge.

If you're more interested in spamming creatures out, and want to utilize the surge mechanic - the best you can hope for is a deck called 8whack
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-66-21-tix-modern-8-whack-goblins
In that case, you fuck dual lands altogether and just play Mountains.
It's an inexpensive deck, as far as Modern decks go, so you could even build it in addition to your prowess deck.
The Jeskai prowess deck has a lot more moving parts, and would take a lot more tuning. It's also more expensive and probably something you would have as a constant work in progress.

It also seems like most of the cards you want to use are Standard legal.
You could build a less complicated and much cheaper version of the Jeskai Prowess Modern deck by starting in Standard.
For someone with what I assume is a modest collection, in general you could start with a standard deck and build toward the Modern equivalent when the cards rotate out of standard.

My advice is thus
-Buy a Modern 8Whack Goblin deck. Play it whenever you get the chance to play Modern.
Gain experience and practice Modern, get familiar with what cards/decks/strategies opponents might use.
-Also build Modern Jeskai Prowess, but start as a blue+red (Izzet) deck in standard.

I'll recommend you a cheap Standard prowess/surge blue+red list with my next post, to get you started.
>>
>>52607323
So casual, it gave me cancer. I'll go smell my modern tier 1 decks to cure it, brb.
>>
>>52608712
The upcoming Amonkhet set has a nice creature to consider for the deck, see pic.

Creatures 16
4 Soul-Scar Mage (Amonkhet)
4 Sanguinary Mage
4 Nimble-Blade Khenra (Amonkhet, exact same as Sanguinary Mage - 1R 1/3 with prowess )
4 Stormchaser Mage

Noncreatures 23
4 Shock
4 Galvanic Bombardment
4 Spark of Creativity
4 Incendiary Flow
3 Grip of the Roil
4 Boulder Salvo

Lands 21
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Aether Hub
3 Wandering Fumarole
2 Island
8 Mountain

Sideboard 15
4 Destructive Tampering
4 Invigorated Rampage
4 Sparkmage's Gambit
2 Renegate Tactics

This should be a good place to start. It won't likely win you any tournaments, but it's decent.

Notice that the deck is heavily red, and blue is splashed in. The dual lands will be the most expensive part of the deck, but are a wortwhile investment. Spirebluff Canal will last you into building the Modern variant.

If even that's too much for a starting investment, you can start with the following build.
-/+ Make all lands Mountains
-4 Grip of the Roil
-4 Stormchaser Mage
+4 Cartouche of Zeal (Amonkhet)
+4 Kari Zev, Skyship Raider (Make sure you buy a Ragavan monkey token too :) you only need one!)

You may find you like just going mono red, in which case a Burn deck in Modern might sound good. Beware though that Burn too can get expensive in the more refined builds, where they mess around with splashing even two colors at once, like Naya Burn.
I'm guessing Prowess will be more to your liking, and it's a fun strategy.

In summation:
-Get good, learn to play, etc
-Build 8whack as an easy in to Modern
-Build that Standard Prowess deck I recommended. Blue+Red or just Red is fine.
-Play both Standard and Modern, learn.
-Get owned
-Get good
-Watch streams, get advice, etc
-If you still love the play style of Prowess/Surge, adopt Jeskai Prowess as your main WIP pet deck in Modern.
-Eventually if you go deep enough, have 8whack, Jeskai/UR Prowess (or maybe even Kiln Fiend) and a top tier Burn deck in Modern.
>>
File: Soul-Scar Mage.png (200KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
Soul-Scar Mage.png
200KB, 265x370px
>>52609386
Fucking forgot pic.

So there you have it.
After everything if you make progress and really enjoy the strategies, you might even go as far as building legacy equivalents.
That would be Goblins, Blue/Red Delver and Burn.
Burn and Goblins aren't too crazy but for Blue/Red Delver you would probably need a couple grand. And fuck forbid if you actually want to get the thing blinged out.

Good luck :)
>>
Op here, thanks for the tips.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.