[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, can we all pretty much agree that dragons are the biggest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

So, can we all pretty much agree that dragons are the biggest losers in fantasy? Whenever you see or read about them, they're losing, or being set up to lose to something.
>>
>>52595737
>So, can we all pretty much agree that dragons are the biggest losers in fantasy? Whenever you see or read about them, they're losing, or being set up to lose to something.

Humans have a tendency to really play up any time they beat a dragon because it happens so little.
>>
>>52595737
Well considering the numbers on hand vs the amount of people and magic that can kill a dragon, yeah they were kinda screwed.

Don't be hostile to a superior species, folks.
>>
This is why fairy types are strong against dragon types.
>>
>>52595737
>Whenever you see or read about them, they're losing, or being set up to lose to something.
Typically after either reigning for a long time (centuries or more) or usurping whoever was in power first. Yeah they typically lose in most stories, but most dragons are forces of nature that destroy fucking everything before they get taken down a notch.
>>
>>52595737
They're like Word, or Wolverine. They're established as they huge badasses just so that when someone else does defeat them it makes that someone else look like an even bigger badass.
>>
>>52596497
>>52596083
>>52595807
These pretty much.

They are a story telling element to represent evil in western folklore. They are mighty and terrible beasts that can only be defeated by the most courageous and/or pios of people. In folklore almost all were unique in nature: no two dragons were identical but that has changed in the genre with the most common depicted in fantasy being the six limbed Welsh Red. Another thing that has changed is the addition of "good" aligned dragons and other such tendencies drawn from Eastern mythos and tacked onto Western dragons without any of the cultural aspects being brought over. Things like half-dragons, benevolent rulers, ones that constantly take human form etc. If anything I feel that dragons need to go back to their roots.

They are a force of nature, the bestial power of the wild world.
They are the Adversary, a terrible darkness made manifest and loosed upon the world by the enemy of God.
They are monumental, a challenge so great that the slaying of one grants saint-hood.

I want them to be monsters again.
>>
File: dwarf king axe.jpg (278KB, 643x750px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf king axe.jpg
278KB, 643x750px
I'd actually say dwarves are most often on poor footing in most fantasy settings. They're culture is always on the decline, their strongholds taken, their nobility corrupt, etc.
>>
>>52596783
Shit folks, we're heading into "Which species is most underpowered" territory
>>
>>52596717
This was rarely the case though.

English Folklore have Dragons of various shapes and size occupying the niche of "Big Monster worse than a bear"

The Idolry of Evil is some Papacy revisionist shit to make the northern villages not prefer their ancient hero ancestors to a bunch of boring saints
>>
>>52595737
Why is a white dragon in the desert? He not even trying to lose.
>>
>>52596800
goblin

ggez
>>
File: dragon-eyes.jpg (297KB, 700x462px) Image search: [Google]
dragon-eyes.jpg
297KB, 700x462px
>>52596717
http://bogleech.com/dragons.html
Like this?
>>
>>52596828
I'm aware. There were many different kinds in folklore and I'm also aware of the mission based transition, I like both aspects as they tend to complement one another in the big bad monster catagory as opposed to the fantasy genre treating them like super powered lizard humans that run the gamut of human sympathies and emotions. I want to get back to the roots and Christian influence interpretations.

>>52597987
Exactly.
>>
File: 1456847939871.jpg (25KB, 307x463px) Image search: [Google]
1456847939871.jpg
25KB, 307x463px
>>52595989
You fucking nerd.
>>
>>52597987
Is there really room for the pathetic and verminous dragon and the apocalpytic sort of dragon?

I don't think the pathetic sort are effective.
>>
File: dop.jpg (46KB, 331x499px) Image search: [Google]
dop.jpg
46KB, 331x499px
>>52595737
> Whenever you see or read about them, they're losing, or being set up to lose to something.
Read better fantasy.
>>
>>52596783
I agree dwarves need better power structure in fantasy
>>
>>52595737
When a dragon kills a human, or even dozens of humans its no big deal, happens all the time.
When a dozen humans get together and manage to kill a dragon, that's something worth talking about
>>
File: pigparts.jpg (18KB, 307x265px) Image search: [Google]
pigparts.jpg
18KB, 307x265px
Basically anything in a dragon has inestimable objective value, even as a simple trophy

Think elephant poaching x1000
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.