[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so, what exactly is it with a big part of /tg/ and their boners

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: cec.gif (999KB, 268x255px) Image search: [Google]
cec.gif
999KB, 268x255px
so, what exactly is it with a big part of /tg/ and their boners for simplicistic good vs evil campaign plots?
from what i can tell it's as if they are playing for the combat gameplay instead of the actual roleplay.
Also that foaming over grey morality that is always followed by strawman scenarios is starting to get ridiculous.
>>
>>52587712
For starters, remember most of /tg/ doesn't actually play any RPGs. It's mostly just anime spergs and neckbeards who come here because it's one of the few decent places to talk about genre fiction.

People here think "moral grey" is just where the heroes are either jerks or dead and the villains have hamfisted reasons they're "right". Mostly because of GoT, which isn't really like this but 4chan hates anything popular. They think this kind of storytelling is some new trend normies are forcing into RPGs, which is also untrue. Fantasy has always had darkness and moral complexity and this nostalgic desire to return to "I just wanna fight a dragon and save a princess" is rooted in misconception.

Most people who actually play RPGs understand this. But since most people here don't play, you get the Shades of Grey meme.
>>
>>52587864
Not him, but I can sorta see why animosity is lingering for 'Grey' campaigns. When every adversary is misunderstood and the 'real enemy' is somewhere else, it gets old. Making a grey story could backfire, too- one major plot decision could cause a party split, and unless you planned for that the game can get very complicated fast.
>>
>>52587712

Different groups have different priorities and things they find enjoyable. Acting like your personal preferences are in any way superior, or that the preferences of others are inferior, is just you being an asshole.
>>
>>52587864
>>52587712

>Implying it's not the same two retards arguing over it every day because they don't realize should just fuck each other and get it over with.
>>
>>52587712
it isn't a /tg/ but just lazy story telling

if you read a bunch of older cheesy fantasy novels they are all overblown good vs evil morality plays.

Modern fantasy storytelling has "intrigue" which really just means the setting is grimderp and everyone is a selfish ass.

Both are really lazy and boring if I am honest.
>>
For me personality, I never played a generic good vs evil campaign. The first game I've ever played (and still playing) is a poorly focused GURPS game which is currently a walking simulator. I would like to just go into a dungeon and kill some goblins who are working for an evil wizard who captured the King's daughter.
>>
Welcome to the 'Mount Stupid' of literature opinions, disdain for 'Good vs. Evil'

Congratulations on having taste too refined for Harry Potter, come back when your taste isn't too refined for Sherlock Holmes or Shakespeare and their simplistic good and evil characters.
>>
The stupid flaw in this kind of thing is assuming that everyone only plays one game/one kind of game.

I'm in some very simple, straight forward fantasy adventure games. I'm in some games plagued by intrigue and moral ambiguity. It's not hard to be able to enjoy both.
>>
>>52587712
Loud people who want simplicity in their power fantasy escapism, want action and validation without having to think about it too hard and enjoy feeling like what they're doing is superior but unpopular.
>>
Gray morality does not make your writing good or interesting

Setting up every session to be two hour debates about the ethics of your inane moral quandary does not mean you are having meaningful role-playing

Good vs. Evil is not a disqualifier for good writing, unless you're really going to contend that whatever you shit out for your campaigns is superior to such childish drivel as MacBeth
>>
I enjoy both types.

If i go with grey morality i tend to keep things restricted to a single city, world, etc. Since i'll try to focus more time on the NPCs so if the players bother learning about them and they discover something important about the NPC in question it makes sense.

On the other hand, the Good Vs Evil campaings are pretty relaxed since there's a common enemy that people want dead. Plus i use them to unwind and do something simple.
>>
File: 1402858423205.gif (51KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1402858423205.gif
51KB, 500x376px
You know what I'm tired of? The complexity of real life
>>
2bh i am not a grey area hater, but i definitely prefer the good vs evil. First reason for that is that it's iconic and stereotyped and i love that. Second and more "objective" reason is that while both types of campaigns can be interesting and well done making a setting grey won't make it instantly better, but it does make it harder to pull off and i would rather play a bad light hearted black vs white campaign then a grey done wrong campaign. Grey doesn't necessarily add to it and it is dangerous.
>>
>>52587712
>from what i can tell it's as if they are playing for the combat gameplay instead of the actual roleplay.
That's it. My job makes me want to murder random strangers I don't like with an axe and I can't exactly do it IRL.
>>
File: 1460491232870.png (21KB, 176x232px) Image search: [Google]
1460491232870.png
21KB, 176x232px
>>52591966
pretty much
>>
>>52595440
So it's the people with mental issues shilling for primitive conflicts. Makes sense.
Also, please spare no expense and go visit a therapist.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.