[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 362
Thread images: 28

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Starter-Spells.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: A Trio of Subclasses
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v9
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52579646

This is the last month we're getting weekly arcanas. How do you feel about them overall?
>>
So I'm playing in a 10th level oneshot, the other characters are two barbarians and a life cleric. What's a good/fun/interesting class to play for it? I would play a bard since I've never done that, but I'm playing a wizard and druid in other campaigns and picking out so many spells is tedious for just a oneshot (maybe valor though since they get magical secrets at 10). Could also do a paladin, don't think any of them are goiung to use a polearm though that is still quite frontline-y. New ranger is allowed so I'm a bit interested in that too.
>>
> http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/12/18/but-the-surprise-is-not-supposed-to-be-an-extra-round/

Just a friendly reminder that surprise round doesn't exist in 5e.
>>
>>52585514
Forgot to say, the oneshot is likely to be about dealing with werewolves and related things, not sure if we're getting magical weapons as the gm is quite stingy with them so a class that doesn't get fucked by physical damage resistance would be nice.
>>
>>52585514
What about Mystic?

But the answer is always nuclear druid
>>
>>52585539
I can ask but I do not think my gm will be ok with that, UA is sketchy in general. The archetypes might be ok since it is a oneshot and all, but I doubt he'll allow mystic.
>>
>>52585530
Is UA allow?

Warlock Fey patron Pact of the Blade for Moon Bow (advantage to hit against lycantropes)

Warlock 3 / Sorcerer the rest if you want to be extra min-maxer.
>>
>>52585523
I call the first round of combat the 'surprise round' whenever anything in the combat has been surprised. Makes it easy for the players to keep track of what's happening.
As far as the original question goes, the assassin rogue couldn't get a second assassinate (advantage OR auto-crit) in a combat, even if they roll higher initiative than an opponent, because that opponent has a first turn where they did nothing in the surprise round.
>>
>>52585555
Multiclassing is banned and UA is most likely banned (>>52585547). He's tried to overbalance the game sort of, banning everything that comes up that seems overpowered, which is sort of why we're doing higher level since I believe that "op" stuff is just part of D&D and is only going to get more common.
>>
>>52585313
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vsv_vC7keA
Oh jeez.
Paladins, am I right, guys?
>>
>>52585606
>just ban everything instead of finding a way to balance things
sounds like a real great DM
>>
>>52585649
Multiclassing was too complex I think to balance on a case-by-case basis, nothing else big has been banned/nerfed. Divine smite has to be declared before an attack instead of after it hits to avoid smiting just because you crit, polymorph might be changed so you can only poly enemies or something since making the rogue into a t-rex ended an encounter on its own.
>>
>>52585649
how do you balance nuclear druid? give shield to every npc in the game?
>>
>>52585649
People actually play LG paladins still? All I ever see now are multiclassed ones that smite everything the see and are some form of CG/CN... Actually all I ever see for alignments anymore is CG/CN...

The LN life is a struggle. What makes L_ so unappealing to people?
>>
>>52585686
>hey guys please don't try building this clearly busted shit, otherwise multiclass away!
>okay cool
>>52585685
>divine smite
sounds like he fixed it
>polymorph
impose a cr restriction

poof
>>
>>52585313
Wait, was bigboy a salty paladin who didn't agree with the group?

>>52585710
LE, LN, LG and NG are the best alignments anon. All these young fellas don't recognise what it means to be a Paladin anymore.
>>
>>52585686
>how do you balance nuclear druid? give shield to every npc in the game?
Harvest dice can only be applied to Druid spells.
>>
>>52579769
>Well, it's official. Yawning Portal ToH is pulling its punches. Because my Bard and my friends rogue just tag teamed the bad boy.
How? I find it hard to believe 2 PCs killed a demilich.
>>
>>52585724
Seems like he wanted to do as his oath required and the party had agreed that another member of the party should be the one to have the final say in everything. He decided against the pally and he got butthurt.
>>
>>52585724
>salty paladin
Of course.

This is what happens when your system encourages players to twist logic up like a balloon animal to justify literally any action as "good" or "keeping with my oath"
>i had to plunge the kingdom into poverty by stealing the contents of the royal vault so i could open up the most bitchin' orphanage and throw stage plays for the children and bring their light and laughter back into the world :D :D :D im the good guy
>>
>>52585523
I tried to explain that to my DM once. DM didn't like that so we had a TPK.
>>
File: 1489291918477.gif (899KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1489291918477.gif
899KB, 600x600px
what are the unforeseen consequences of casting wish in order to find a group in a European time zone?
>>
>>52585523
just a friendly reminder that literally any and every rule is subject to DM fiat.
>>
>>52585856
You find a meme-tier DM.
https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4834143/new-player-applications
>>
>>52585866
Sure but then why are you playing 5e instead of GURP?
>>
Anyone ever run a 5e game in a non-WotC non-homebrew setting? Like for example the Warcraft universe?

Just because I've been thinking about running a game in the Warhammer Age of Sigmarverse since it seemed D&D 5e wouldn't mesh well with the gothic grimness of the old Fantasy setting.

But AoS seems much more condusive to 5e. Anyone think it would be worth running or be interested in playing D&D in the mortal realms?
>>
>>52585866
While true, it should be used sparingly and with purpose, rather than abused beyond all reason and sanity like I've had the misfortune of seeing more often than not.
>>
>>52585888
I think that could be pretty fun. I don't know much about AoS but it seems like a pretty decent High Fantasy setting.

I know you said non-WotC but I ran a game in mtg's Lorwyn/Shadowmoor setting with some players who knew nothing about it. I changed some races a bit, made Goliaths small giants, turned Dwarves into a type of Goblin and stuff.

Went really well and the shift between worlds was a fun experience. Took them a while to realise it wasn't a different plane at all. Also the lack of humans in the setting let me make everything a little bit weirder.
>>
Think we'll ever get a Adventures Vault style supplement?
>>
>>52585866
> God complex DM detected
Huge red flag, wouldn't play with.
>>
>>52585963

Thanks for the insight! Glad it went so well!

And I suppose I should've said non-D&D setting along the lines of Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk etc instead on non-WotC since playing in the MTG verse still for me very much applies.
>>
>>52585514
>>52585539
Mystic is possible.
>Seems pretty strong, perhaps too strong. Hard to say
>It's very versatile so I guess there's a number of ways you could take it. Don't know, I might be okay with it in a oneshot.

So how do I build a mystic? 10th level, together with the meat squad so probably not anything close to martial, and without going too crazy.
>>
>>52586031
Stats are (unassigned)
18, 15, 15, 14, 9, 6
>>
>>52585884
I don't like change and the name sounds silly to me

>>52585932
undeniably true

>>52586023
I don't DM friend, I'm just aware of the first rule of tabletop rpgs.
>>
>>52586066
Stone Sorcerer. 18 in Con, be the tankiest you can be.
>>
>>52586090
I played a sorc for 2 years, stone looks like a lot of fun but not really what I want for this. 2 barbarians and a life cleric means we have plenty of meat already too.
>>
>>52586031
>>52586031
That's the problem anon. Mystic is really versatile and can be built for anything (that's why it's hugely popular for recreating media character).

You need to narrow your idea down a bit.

Personally, I would go with 4e style lazylord though. Go Mantle of Command and give Barbarian another attack action. And Nomadic Step to repositioning the battle field.
>>
>>52586030
One thing I would highly recommend if limiting races but making sure the players know and give them some freedom.

I had Goblins, Wood Elves, High Elves, Goliaths, Water Genasi (Merfolk), Fire Genasi, refluffed Dwarves and Ghostwise Halflings. With Volo's out now I would change a couple.

I was obviously more lenient with Racial Ability Score bonuses and would let them choose their +2/+1 and also gave a level 1 feat.

I don't know every race AoS has but give some more freedom in the Ability Scores if there's some pretty big limitations.
>>
>>52586112
>>52586031
For Nomadic step...

Werewolf are immunity to non-magical attacks. Fall damage isn't attack.

*wink wink*
>>
>>52586107
Do you know if the barbs are totem or berserker? If they're not berserker you could play a Devotion paladin and prevent anyone trying to shut down your melee party. Trust me I have a devotion pally in the party I DM for and it's a little annoying not being able to land any charm or fear effects, or anything that requires a Wisdom save, for that matter.
>>
>Re-reading Curse of Strahd
>See this

Can't believe I've missed this.
>>
I kind of want to play a Halfling Paladin. Any fun ways to build this?
>>
>>52586262
Pretty much the only way you can do this is sword and board.
>>
>>52586262
Rapier and Shield. Be the nicest, goodest most charitable Paladin you can be. Forgive people and generally be nice.

Halfling Paladin is the only Paladin I play.
>>
>>52585737
5e demiliches as written are kinda neutered imo. 20 AC is easier to hit than you think and hit dice went from d12s in 3.5 to d4s in 5e. Even though it has damage resistance to magical weapons the demilichs's average 80 hp on is going to dwindle fast. Also it's attacks force it to be close-mid range so its not -completely- out of melee range.
>>
>>52586112
>>52586155
Thanks, I think Nomad or Awakened are going to be my choice. Mantle of command looks pretty sick.

>>52586177
One bear and one berserker I think.
>>
>>52586262
Lance and board + find steed.
>>
>>52586283
>average 80 hp
Why would you use anything but max hp other than for a group that's new to the game or a previously wounded enemy?
>>
>>52586262

Play as a non furry version of Sir Didymus
>>
>>52586330
I like this a lot. Any way to make this without having to rely on str and heavy armor? There's already a couple of tanky people in the party so I was wanting something more dexterous and nimble
>>
>>52586250
I don't get it. Is it a "coming out of the closet" joke?
>>
>>52585477
>This is the last month we're getting weekly arcanas. How do you feel about them overall?
Most of them have been shit. Much rather see actual polished and well made rules, than these retarded tidbits, or worse, entire sub classes or even full classes, that are just shit out by some faggot with no sense of balance.

There have only been very few good things to come from these, and even then, while cool, was largely unnecesarry, see ceremony.

I like the spell, but as someone who GMs like 80% of the time, this isnt something I would require rules to play out. It is super easy to just fluff it a lot, and make a few small rules to supplement it.
>>
>>52586403
Yes, this NPC is gay.
>>
>>52586432
ha, what a fag
>>
>>52586283
Effectively the demilich has 160 HP, since he will take half damage from magical weapons and saving throws that he fails (and nothing on a success). Since he is immune to most conditions, his Legendary Resistances will serve to ignore any major damage spell that is thrown his way.

The first thing Acererak will do is use a lair action to put an antimagic field on someone, either a powerful caster, or the guy with a big magical greatsword, effectively rendering them useless for the first round. Then he'll use his action to Trap the Soul of anyone that doesn't look too charismatic, and on a failure that person will literally be out of the fight (Frustrating as shit, but whatever. Demilich gotta survive somehow. I would probably make the trapped PC fight something inside the gem). Then there's the legendary actions.

This is important: a Demilich with Trap the Soul in its lair is CR 23, thus his proficiency bonus is +7, not +6. Everything that includes his proficiency goes up by 1.

Also why the hell are most of the saves DC 15? That makes no sense in the save DC math. I'd just put it all at 19 (20 if his CR is higher) and call it a day.
>>
I'm taking part in a campaign that I'm fairly certain is gonna crash and burn within three session due to the player dynamics. I feel bad for the DM though so I'd like to play a strong support character to help minimize the idiocy.

What do you guys recommend?
>>
>>52586381
>use rapier and shield, dueling fighting style
>wear medium armor until you max your Dex or take Medium Armor Master and keep using it
Is that all?
>>
>>52585606

>overbalancing GMs

run while you still can
>>
>>52586517
Lore Bard
>>
>>52585686
Have the wizard roll each dart, rather than rolling once for all darts. The damage goes from (1d4+1+harvest)*[darts] to [darts]d4+1 + harvest
The Nuclear Druid's Lynch pin is only rolling damage once. Take that away and it's neutered, yet reasonable.
>>
File: hbakid3.png (415KB, 587x462px) Image search: [Google]
hbakid3.png
415KB, 587x462px
Does rolling 20 always mean auto success and rolling 1 failure? Last session our Rogue with 7 strength rolled a 20 a was able to bend his steel prison bars and escape to freedom.

My table and DM seem utterly convinced it does and tell me I haven't read the PHB clearly. If it's home ruling, that's fine. But, it doesn't seem to be in the PHB outside of combat.

Do your groups play with rolling 20 is auto success?
>>
>>52586480
>The first thing Acererak will do is use a lair action to put an antimagic field on someone, either a powerful caster, or the guy with a big magical greatsword, effectively rendering them useless for the first round. Then he'll use his action to Trap the Soul of anyone that doesn't look too charismatic, and on a failure that person will literally be out of the fight
This. Unless you're playing him really stupidly, or the players just get really lucky on their saves, it should be a really tough fight. Especially since he can hover outside of melee range and Trap the Soul of any ranged fighters, using antimagic fields to shut down casters.
>>
>>52586624
>Does rolling 20 always mean auto success and rolling 1 failure?
No, you stupid faggot. Delusions like this is why the "flying dwarf" story exists.
>>
>>52586541
Yeah, basically. Dex > Cha > Con, unless you want to go full Cha Oath of Devotion for better saves for everyone. Grab Sentinel for Reaction attacks while deep in melee plus increasing your stickyness if you're going to town on something.
>>
>>52586624
On attack rolls, yes. On any other rolls, you still need to beat the DC.
>>
>>52586624
only in attacks. when you have checks you have a DC you need to beat
>>
>>52586624
20 is always an auto success if your DM is a memelord. There are DCs higher than 20.
1 is usually always an auto failure however
>>
>>52586624
nat 20s have never applied to skill rolls. Attack rolls must still meet or beat opponent AC to crit.
>>
>>52586624
The only time you should let people crit outside of combat is if you want to invoke Morrowind acrobatics tier shenanigans
>>
>>52586624
God, no. Only attack rolls are auto-success on a 20 (and specifically, a critical hit, but critical hits aren't themselves auto-hits) and auto-fail on a 1.

Critical success and failure on any other kind of test is cancer.
>>
File: 1491346625341.png (81KB, 409x406px) Image search: [Google]
1491346625341.png
81KB, 409x406px
>>52586624
>Holy fuck we're trapped in prison
>Quick, everybody punch the wall really hard and if one of us gets a 1/20 chance the wall will just fucking crumble
>>
>>52586381
You won't get the better weapon feats, so honestly you're kind of fucked because a proper paladin will be doing ~50% more damage with a quarterstaff than you'll be doing with a rapier.

But, hey, I guess you're only doing 2/3 as much, right? So it can work.
>>
>>52586283
>>52586318
80 hit points is the maximum. The Demilich has a unique version of Undead Nature that gives it the maximum number of hit points for its Hit Dice.

>>52586480
If you look at the Solar's Slaying Longbow, it also has a DC 15 Constitution saving throw to resist dying outright, so there might be some sort of trend. Maybe the developers want Instant Death effects to be fixed at a medium DC? I don't know.
>>
>New group
>Ask guy playing wizard why he decided to take 8 dex and 8 con
>'I don't like minmaxing'
should be fun
>>
>>52586726
..what?
did he just take a penalty for no reason and not add it to his more important wizardy stats? Because if not, minmaxing is exactly what he did.

unless he rolled for stats, in which case good on him for having the balls to keep that shit.
>>
>>52586624
Like everyone else said. That natural 20 and natural 1 rule only exist in attack.

Not ability check. Not saving throw.
>>
>>52586624
>tfw you get higher than 20 but you don't succeed then someone that has a negative in the skill comes along and does it because they crit
>>
File: kizunaaidesu.jpg (106KB, 1279x720px) Image search: [Google]
kizunaaidesu.jpg
106KB, 1279x720px
>>52586726
At least when I go for an 8 con wizard it's 'Part of the character' or 'It's more interesting' or 'I'm playing a character with very notable weaknesses so I don't overshadow everyone with my great wizarding'.

'Lol no minmaxing' is just being a faggot.
>>
Alright so, new character introduced to party, after dying a murderhobos death. Probably the strangest intro I've seen.

>party is speaking to a captain of the guard
>clearing their names since their deceased leader went on a rampage
>they are given an unruly prisoner that they don't want to keep around anymore
>a half elf drunken master monk
>immediately on being freed of his manacles the monk squats down and shits out a bottle of ale
>"the size of a 40"
>make the monk roll sleight of hand, 14/dc15. The ale was not sealed well.
>monk chugs half of it
>his name is Jackie Chan
>our rick artificer tries to outdo him, doesn't hear that there is shit in the ale
>drinks the rest of the ale and a floater, fails con save
>violently vomits for a good 4 seconds
>paladin and guards are just watching dumbfounded
>they finally leave and journey into a swamp
>encounter froghemoth, who is sitting in the shallow water near the deep water
>Jackie chan runs up punches it and runs off taunting it
>Froghemoth shoots out a tongue and swallows Jackie chan
>it then begins to go into deeper water now that it ate
>no one in the party wants to go into the swamp water to chase after it- no spell casters either
>thus ends the chapter of Jackie Chan
>>
>>52586624
Have them show evident. They are the one who clearly read the PHB, so they should be able to locate the rule.

Also

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/11/20/does-a-natural-20-mean-an-automatic-success/

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/13/does-a-natural-20-on-a-skill-check-a-critical-automatic-success/

man, I feel bad for JC having to reanswer this stuff over and over again.
>>
>>52586624
http://www.strawpoll.me/12695324
>>
>>52585477
Orcs are so gross.
>>
>>52586750
The important wizardy stats after Int *are* Dex and Con. You can't start with more than 18 intelligence after racials no matter what, so whatever he did can't be minmaxing.
>>
>>52586784
17 is actually the highest max. So he would've put points in CHA, WIS and STR.
>>
>>52586782
That's an elf.
>>
>>52586784
>roll 3 6s
>+2 to int

20 int
>>
>>52586815
I'm assuming a point buy system
>>
>>52586813
Orcs are black elves. Didn't you read lord of the rings?
>>
>>52586815
>rolling
>rolling an 18
>playing a gnome

This doesn't sound likely m8.
>>
>>52586777
>Shit monk archetype that only has flavour going for it yet the mechanics aren't represented in the flavour at all
>Chaotic stupid
>Copying a character's name
>half-elf and monk at same time

He deserved it.
>>
File: D - disgust.jpg (45KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
D - disgust.jpg
45KB, 550x412px
>>52586815
>Rolling for stats
>>
>>52586784
>>52586815
In any /5eg/ accepted game, you cannot start with more than 17 in a stat, period, because you use a superior system such as point buy and there is no +3, variant human giving the nearest thing to a +3.
>>
>>52586723
>80 hit points is the maximum.
Holy shit you're right! The average for 20d4 would be 50... I guess I'd just give it more HP, in that case. At least 100.

>Maybe the developers want Instant Death effects to be fixed at a medium DC?
That may be the case, but it could be just 8 + 7 (Solar's proficiency) = 15. As for the demilich, we have 8 + 6 (proficiency) + 1 (???) = 15. And only the Howl is save or "die", the legendary actions shouldn't be that low as well.
>>
>>52586845
WhT the fuk is point buy?

Do I level up using gold??
>>
>>52586424
>implying monthly UAs won't be scrambled together at the last minute
>>
>>52586480
>He is really tough guys
>Just house rule him stronger
Alright buddy.

DC 15 at the suggested level of 13 is a fucking joke. Sure, some poor smuck might get smacked by trap the soul, because he lacks prof and attributes to keep him at a reasonable level... But but this requires the retarded GM question "uhh, who has the lowest save?", which should prompt a face punch from every single player at the table.

And even with 160 "effective" hit points, he will crumble super fast against a proper party. And CR20+? Are you kidding me? Like, wow, this is actually hilarious.
>>
>>52586845
Just to nitpick, a Dwarven Revenant can have +3 CON and be an unkillable Barbarian Monster.
>>
>empyrean

What the fuck, these things are insane

Do they hace the best stats?
>>
File: 1491170976497.png (283KB, 649x671px) Image search: [Google]
1491170976497.png
283KB, 649x671px
>>52586853
>>
File: 1470860105225.jpg (35KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
1470860105225.jpg
35KB, 640x400px
>>52586830
>mfw giving my players option of rolling 2 sets of stats, and then using point buy if they don't like both
>>
>>52586937
I let them roll for two sets each and then all their sets go up on a sheet for the group, and they can pick a set from those.
>>
>>52586862
>"uhh, who has the lowest save?"
>not having all of your players save bonuses written on a cheat sheet

But really, the demilich is smart as fuck. He would know not to try to Trap the Soul of a paladin, bard, cleric, etc. Trap the Soul is DC 19, by the way. Just the "save or drop to 0" and legendary actions are DC 15.

I don't entirely disagree with you, by the way. Demiliches should have more HP. But you still gotta play them smart.
>>
any 3 player one shot ideas?

evil characters
>>
File: tumblr_onuvne5JVp1rpf0t3o3_1280.png (268KB, 750x457px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_onuvne5JVp1rpf0t3o3_1280.png
268KB, 750x457px
>>52586864
>Revenant
>Literally one of the worst and most unbalanced UAs to exist
>>
>>52586862
>Just house rule him stronger
Having him hover out of the melee fighters' range, drop an antimagic field on the casters, (potentially) give everyone disadvantage on saving throws and then start hitting people with save-or-dies is not houseruling.
Making the save DCs higher, sure, that's houseruling (though Acererak's DCs should be one higher due to the CR increase boosting his proficiency bonus).
>>
>>52586966
Bank heist to serve as a kickstarter for their individual evil empires. Complete with an androspinx vault attendant and mostly gnome and halfling staff. The player need to scope out the bank in some city, plan their assault, follow through with it, and get out without getting caught

but can they really trust the people they're with not to stab them in the back at the first chance? Find out, on this week's episode of TPK
>>
>>52586966
the first one that comes to mind is a heist of some sort, or if your players have shit for brains and don't have any idea of what it means to be evil beyond "durr hurr kill all the orphans on sight", raiding a town with a band of thieves and defeating the town's defenders. Both can be fun, but the first one is less combat oriented.
>>
>>52586960
>But really, the demilich is smart as fuck. He would know not to try to Trap the Soul of a paladin, bard, cleric, etc.
Literally how. The Cleric, sure, but a Paladin can look like a fucking druid, and a Valid bard could look like a rogue or fighter.

He is smart, he is not able to see what fucking class they are. That is meta knowledge he would have no idea how to discern.

>Trap the Soul is DC 19, by the way. Just the "save or drop to 0" and legendary actions are DC 15.
I know, and trap the soul is a problem for a lot of characters. The other saves, not so much. For characters intended to fight a CR20+ boss, they will easily have +10 to their primary saves, and probably a lot of ways to boost them too.

A devotion Paladin would also trivialize half of his arsenal, because even his trap the soul is unlikely to actually affect him, and as long as he is around, he can't expect to ever take out anyone with DC15 saves.
>>
>>52586993
>no house rules
>though Acererak's DCs should be one higher
Are you actually retarded?
>>
What's the best wizard archetype for low int? No saving throws basically.
>>
>>52586949
that's not a bad idea honestly
my method came from the very 1st session we've had, where party's rogue had all stats between 8 and 12 because I was new to DMing and I allowed only 1 stat roll
Man, I'm glad I'm past that on the second campaign
>>
>>52587024
>Literally how. The Cleric, sure, but a Paladin can look like a fucking druid, and a Valid bard could look like a rogue or fighter.
>He is smart, he is not able to see what fucking class they are. That is meta knowledge he would have no idea how to discern.

Presumably the Lich has been scrying this powerful band of renowned warriors that are coming to slay it.
>>
>>52587039
Abjuration, though conjuration or divination ... Maybe illusion if your DM doesn't say 'Oh, all enemies get to check for illusions for free without taking an action' or transmutation.
>>
>>52587032
DCs use proficiency bonus. If that goes up, the DC should go up too. That's not a houserule, that's supported by the DMG's monster creation rules.
>>
>>52587042
Just don't roll for stats. All the 'reasonable' methods merely try to save people from being fucked over by bad rolls, but if anyone got good rolls they effectively have a large advantage over the standard array or whatever your safety is.

Compare two fighters: the one with higher stats is effectively starting with a +1 or +2 weapon at level one, which is pretty significant in the 5e world of bounded accuracy, and the other can never catch up because afterwards they start spending their ASIs on feats.
>>
File: WeAlsoWuzEgyptians.jpg (197KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
WeAlsoWuzEgyptians.jpg
197KB, 1280x720px
>>52585477
WE WUZ ELVES N SHIET
>>
So I've been curious about one Fighting Style and a certain weapon type. If I make a Fighter character who uses a longsword, which is versatile, and I wanted the Dueling style, would that work if I'm using the longsword with two hands? Dueling states:

>When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon

Just want to know if that would apply to using a versatile weapon or if I would have to be using it as a one handed weapon?
>>
>>52586937
>>52586949
This sounds like a great way to give everyone incredibly high stats for no good discernable reason.

Just what is this supposed to accomplish?
>>
>>52587103
I'll probably have my players use point buy in 3rd campaign I run
Who knows, maybe that time the party won't be a mix of fighter/paladin/rogue/ranger/monk, with 2 players being human, 1 dwarf and 1 elf
>>52587116
who knows, they had pretty mediocre rolls this time around, thankfully
>>
>>52586689
Akshually, you cqn roll to attack objects and being an attack roll you might damage the wall 5% of the time.

Destroying it out-right will be way harder though.
>>
Rollfag here, is 16 fine in my main stat or should I be trying to pump it up to 20 asap with ASI?
>>
>>52587128
Same logic applies to jail bars, then

The way they bent the bars is hardly short of destroying it outright, anyway.
>>
>>52587116
it's called fun, anon. You just scale things up if they get overpowered. not much mental gymnastics required.
>>
>>52587129
depends on the class
>>
>>52587112
Are you using it in one hand or in two hands when rolling the Versatile damage die?

It's not rocket science, fuck.
>>
>>52587129
Depends what class you are, what you're going for, etc.

A barbarian can be completely fine with 16 strength until level 16 or so, whereas a rogue would want to up their dex to 20 as soon as possible.
>>
>>52587112
It doesn't. It's basically just a damage boost for sword and board characters
>>
I'm currently playing a Monk4/Rogue1 I really enjoy. Should I put two more levels into Rogue to get Swashbuckler, and sweet sweet consistent SA in One on Ones, or should I just keep lvling Monk?

(RP wise I'm a Gypsie bare knuckle boxer, so one on one fights come up reasonably often)

Also, favourite ways to RP a Gypsie?
>>
>>52587148
Warlock/Bard
>>
>>52587140
>This is what 4e fags believe with their +40 to hit and 49 AC and whatever
>Just scale up the challenge, it's perfectly fine, scaling everything up isn't completely pointless at all when you could just not have everyone more powerful in the first place
>>
>>52587139
Bending bars/metal objects is a Strength (Athletics) check, not an attack roll. Unless you're trying to bend them by hitting them with a weapon, which is an attack. However, rolling a natural 20 is just an automatic (critical) hit and you roll damage against the object's hit points, you don't automatically bend them.
>>
>>52587057
>and he obviously wasn't doing that every time the high level wizard was checking for faggots trying to scry on him.
>because the GM is shit and has to ass pull everything to make it work
Are you one of those faggots who constantly goes "uhhhhh" for a few seconds, every time someone does anything that might mess with your precious plot?
>>
>>52587173
>your character rolling for stats is equivalent to 49 ac and +40 to hit
>using reductio ad absurdum in 2010+7
I'm sorry you've got a nasty case of the wrongbadfuns anon.
>>
>>52587169
If you're shadow monk (Why wouldn't you be?) then you don't need SA for one-on-ones because you can teleport around and get self-advantage.

Right now, getting monk 5 is absolutely the first thing you should do regardless of whatever it is. Monk 5 gives you another 1d6+DEX attack and boosts some possible bonus attacks from 1d4 to 1d6.
It also gives you stunning fist, which is great, and can be used to give yourself advantage, too.

Then level 6 if shadow monk, then rogue the rest. Otherwise, level 5 then rogue the rest.
>>
>>52587173
every 10 sessions you just need to scale it back using this simple formula:

everything/10

what's wrong with you?

>>52587170
Charisma does a shitload for you though. What would you do instead of bumping it ? Some feats could be worth it. Not most of them, though.
>>
Ways for a demigod to become a god?
>>
>>52587189
>he doesn't have his caster villains scry on the party all the time
Clearly you don't know the joy of having your players constantly wonder what all these saves they're making are for, eventually followed by the realisation that the BBEG has been spying on them for weeks.
>>
>>52587186
Well, finding a nook in the wall and pulling the wall apart is a strength check, not an attack roll, too. Probably DC 30, the same DC to move an immovable rod. DC 25 if you're really lucky, and even then it'd just be crumbling the wall a bit, but this is from a DM who let a rogue bend bars with an 18 roll.
I don't think athletics applies to either barpulling or wallpulling, though.
>>
>>52587024
Aura of Protection is such a huge thing that as far as I'm concerned anyone that has knowledge about paladins knows they are facing one whenever the Aura comes into play. It might be some kind of faint radiance or the echoes of an angelic choir, or whatever, but it is an obvious thing.

Also the adventure literally says "It can tell which members of the party are the most powerful". If it can tell that, why couldn't it tell which members would most likely fail?

Lastly, I agree, CR 18/23 boss shouldn't have most of his offensive power on a save DC 15, that's silly. Why I said it should all be 19 or 20 depending on proficiency.
>>
>>52586635
Did you even bother reading the rest of the post? Everyone else at his table assumes 20 on a skill check is a success. He's the only one with a brain that realizes that isn't true.

It's like you're looking for reasons to be mad, Anon. Calm down before your high blood pressure kills you.
>>
>>52587209
I don't even understand
do you nerf everyone every ten sessions after giving them +4 shields of AC?

>>52587192
>Character rolling in a way that just gives people high values in every stat basically just means all the rolls are going to be higher and that's akin to 4e which thought it was fine to have really high stats and there's a reason 5e doesn't do that anymore
I mean, sure, if you don't like 5e and think it's badwrongfun, 4e general is over there Oh, wait, it isn't.
>>
>>52587233
>I don't think athletics applies to either barpulling or wallpulling, though.
Just double checked OotA, and you're right, it's just Strength (DC20).
>>
File: 1434046334729.png (681KB, 546x698px) Image search: [Google]
1434046334729.png
681KB, 546x698px
>"hey guys let's play at 5pm"
>everyone agrees
>one guy is 30 minutes late
>another guy complains about him being late for those 30 minutes
>when the late guy arrives the complaining one goes "yeah guys 10 more minutes gotta finish this round in for honor"
>>
Someone yesterday mentioned that a creature with an Invisible spell cast on them that the creature doesn't provoke an AoO if it leaves the threat range.

As far as I can tell from the conditions chapter enemies still know where you are and can target you for AoOs, but folks are saying that isn't right.

Is there a sage advice link somewhere I can see one of the devs response?
>>
>>52587169
What? Fuck no.

You want Monk 5 for Extra Attack and Stunning Strike. Sneak attack is 3.5 damage once per turn, 7 damage at Rogue 3, it's shit for a Monk if it's both costing your Extra Attack and delaying your FoB damage progression.

Plus it's forcing you to use a shortsword instead of a quarterstaff or spear, which have better damage die.

Wait, are you being allowed to use sneak attack with unarmed strikes? Because that doesn't work.
>>
>>52587283
>Wait, are you being allowed to use sneak attack with unarmed strikes? Because that doesn't work.
RAW no, but it is Mearls-approved.
>>
>>52587233
For breaking a wall apart I'd probably make it a DC 25 Strength check, so only characters with STR 20 or higher would have a 5% chance, and champions would have a slightly higher chance.
>>
>>52587209
>every 10 sessions you just need to scale it back using this simple formula:
I actually like how GURPS handled high power.

Since it runs on a "roll below your skill", on a 3d6, it quickly becomes absurd at 15+. To accommodate this, you scale it back to fit the variance.

So if to people fighting each other has 30 in their "fuck you up" skill, they both hit on a 10. Because between these two, they just are equal. Put that guy with 30 against a guy with 20, and despite his amazing skills (because 20 is still ridiculously good), mr. 20 has to roll below 5, while Mr. 30 just has to roll below 15.

And if you only hit below 5, you can't even crit. Too bad.

Because of how the AC scaling in 5e works, it just gets easier to hit things as you level up. AC just doesn't scale, so the guy with 18 AC at level 1, might have 20 at level 20. Meanwhile, to hit has gone from a usual +5 to +11, without any other to hit bonuses, and likely has a ton of ways to get advantage by then.

Disregarding magic items, because if you have AC increasing items, you also have items that increase to hit, so it evens itself out.
>>
>>52585710
Because people follow dumb rules all the time in the real world and don't want to do that in games. They're in an escapist power fantasy with no consequences.
>>
>>52587272
PHB page 195:
>You can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach.
>that you can see
>>
>>52585710
>Having to actually work within a code of honour instead of just murder hoboing everything
Too difficult
Just can't be done
>>
File: 1490371017504.jpg (31KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1490371017504.jpg
31KB, 640x480px
>>52587268
>"The game starts at 8"
>One of the players is early
>One of the players shows up on time
>The other says they're leaving to take a shower at 8:03
>Someone else is completely unresponsive
>Shower guy gets back
>Unresponsive guy shows up 20 minutes after we start
>>
>>52587228
>keeps scrying so the party knows he is a faggot, and keeps making crude comments about what a faggot he is for constantly watching half dressed sweating dudes.>>52587244
>"It can tell which members of the party are the most powerful". If it can tell that, why couldn't it tell which members would most likely fail?
>I can tell you are a guy in leather armour, why wouldn't I also know your stats, your meta class, what spells you have prepared, and what you are going to eat tomorrow?

He knows who is the is powerful. Feel free to house rule him stronger, but dont claim he just innately has this ability.

You are also a faggot for meta gaming like a little bitch.
>>
>>52587318
Mike "I'd allow it at my table" Mearls' approval doesn't mean shit. No, seriously, it means fuck all.

All that matters is how RAW actually works - and THEN at your table, your DM, informing the players, can assess how a particular ruling works and houserule to his heart's content.
>>
>>52587402
What does "most powerful" mean anyways? Highest stat total? Highest level? That's a pretty abstract thing to know.
>>
>>52586624
>DC 17 to bend prison bars
>DC 20 to break chains

Your DM is retarded.
>>
What's /5eg/'s equivalent of Rory and Aurora?

https://pastebin.com/zUGVAmbf
>>
>>52587448
dong size + stamina x charisma mod = power rating
>>
>>52587448
Highest level.

It isnt specified to one guy either. So if there are 2 level 14 and the rest are 13, he knows the two level 14s are the strongest.
>>
>>52587422
you're a fucking idiot arguing for the sake of arguing and you know it

RAW doesnt work.
Mike Mearls said he can't see why it'd be a problem.
I, as a DM, can't see why it'd be a problem.
This guy, and this guy's DM, don't see why it'd be a problem.

Just leave it be.
>>
>>52587462
an equally poorly written fap fic, but with some bitching about metagaming thrown in for good measure.
>>
>>52587371
Neat.
Guess I was reading to much into page 291 for invisible 'An invisible enemy can be detected by the sound it makes or footsteps it leave'
>>
So how do I stop "bullshit" ?

Shack has an extra dimensional room. It also has a wall of force that stops evil objects/beings from entering

Players don't know this

Were told to leave their weapons and bag of holding

They do, except 1 with an evil berserker axe
He walks through and his axe is forced out.

"Bullshit"

Player doesn't want to leave bag of holding

It explodes when he enters
>>
>>52587561
sounds like you're creating bullshit to rob players of their toys so you can railroad them easier.

the bullshit is you.
>>
>>52587561
by not throwing such stupid ass retarded overcomplex convoluted concepts around

what did you achieve exactly doing all this dimensional bullshit you goddamn nerd?
>>
>>52587561
never take the PCs items. there is never a reason for this to happen and it is never fun
>>
what are some good spells for an utility focused 3rd level wizard?

right now for dubious reason i'm rolling it 100% pacifist so whatever stops the largest amounts of deaths is good but situational rituals are also of high value for it.
>>
In a greek setting, how would you apply the core races so they have a slight different flavor than the usual?
>>
>>52587622
go for low fantasy and only allow humans
>>
>>52587622
I'd make every race have a mandatory great white beard.
>>
Uhh...

I just got our session got cut short. We stomped through the planned content too fast.

So I have a high level Druid. Moon, animal lover kind of person. I have gathered a small army of awakened animals over a long time now, and when we were supposed to escape someone and figure out a way to assassinate one guy held up in a stronghold with a good 150 guys protecting him... I just called on my own army and crushed it. He had planned this would take 3 sessions, and we were done halfway through the first session.

I barely used the fact I was a moon druid. The wizard did a few things, and the Paladin helped with his auras... But the fighter basically just sat on his ass not even bothering, and I just directed the animals where needed.

I kinda want to just retire my character after this. I feel fucking terrible. I don't think I could find a good explanation for why I wouldn't just keep doing this. Knowing my GM, he won't have amy idea of how to solve this either.

What should I do? Ask my GM to just ascend my character as some protector of the massive forest we are in right now, and have him leave the party?

Or what can I do to make this not game breaking without arbitrarily not using the tools I have available?
>>
Hey, did anyone grab that wild magic table that was 10,000 entries long? I saw it a few weeks ago, but like a dummy forgot to grab it.
>>
>>52587653
..why would a moon druid get an army? That's not how it works at all.
>>
>>52587644
>only allow humans
That's what I was trying to avoid, actually.
>>
>>52587690
then go look at a wiki page about their culture and figure out how to shoehorn it in to the races you want to include.
>>
>>52587680
I rolled a nat 20 on animal handing in the middle of a forest!
NAT FUCKING 20. I was only trying to charm one wolf, I got the whole fucking forest as my army now.
>>
>>52587342
God GURPS is fucking awful.
>>
>>52587613
Invisibility - Cast during combat when someone really needs to flee
Levitate - Forced movement, levitate a very hurt ally straight up, enemy can't reach them
Web - When fleeing, cast on ground behind everyone and restrain the pursuing enemies.
>>
>>52587709
kek
>>
>>52587709
>nat 20 on a skill check
>having any special effect
>>
>>52587709
refer to >>52586781
>>
>>52587653
how the fuck did you amass an army of awakened animals if just one casting of the spell costs you an agate worth 1,000 gp? Unless you're telling me you somehow just found a bunch of awakened animals and befriended them.
>>
>>52587747
>>52587709
oh, they weren't actually awakened, your DM got what he deserved.
>>
>>52587653
either your DM is too new or you're the most experienced player at the table. Either way, what you did is not possible within the rules of the game.
>>
>>52587653
Why the fuck would all those animals risk their lives for you? Even if you did awaken them, why would they get involved in this? They have literally no obligation to act as an army for you, only reason they'd help would be if their forest and home was in danger.
>>
>>52587485
The problem is is it may overvalue monk as a multiclass.

If you made it part of the rules then RAW a monk5/rogueX with PAM would make four attacks that could potentially get sneak attack a round, with potentially two sneak attacks a round, as any enemy moving within 5ft of you provokes an opportunity attack (So you punch them, but RAI is that you have to use the quarterstaff) and then ...

Even without PAM,
You have shadow monk 6, which gives a bunch of stealthing abilities to a rogue, allows them to stun enemies, allows them to self-grant advantage, three 1d6+DEX attacks that could each potentially sneak attack and if they get high wisdom they actually end up with more AC than a rogue would normally have.

So, what do you compare it to for balance? The barbarogue.
But, note, you've just buffed barbarogue too.
A barbarogue using a shield has a big issue - If they grapple someone, they can't fight with a weapon and can't get sneak attack. You're now saying that they can sneak attack and do almost full damage while keeping someone grappled and prone at the same time. And.. That's not so bad, but it really kind of eliminates any point to NOT using a shield. Normally, a barbarogue focused on grappling doesn't use a shield because they can easily drop a weapon, grapple a bitch and stab them while grappling. Though they also get rage damage to their bonus attack if they use that.

Overall, Mike Mearls doesn't know the rules (he has been wrong a few times before).
>>
>>52587680
Staff of the Woodlands allows you to cast Awaken without consuming a 1000gp Agate. You can Awaken about two trees every three days, as well as all the dinosaurs and giant apes you can find.
>>
I keep hearing that the best way to start a campaign/world is with a small dungeon. Is that right?
>>
>>52587802
>>52587485
... But to end that post, is unarmed strikes getting sneak attack bad?

The answer really should be 'Not really, but just in case don't allow a monk's bonus attack to sneak attack and don't allow a barbarian grappling a target without a free hand to do it either'.
>>
>>52587709
With that house rule, why wouldn't you play a halfling with lucky feat and attempt to do all the stupid stuff?

5% chance to be able to do whatever you want, no matter how stupid it is and 1/400 (or 1/8000 with lucky) to get a nat 1.
>>
>>52587747
Staff of the Woodlands
>>
>>52587785
Druid had their Bard pal give an inspirational speech to rally the Awakened animals and trees to the cause.
>>
>>52587802
Sneak Attack is only once per turn. This is why Commander's Strike is good.
>>
>>52586262
You're a tiny man so if you take Cavalier you can have a tiny mount.
>>
>>52587829
If he's using all charges a day, there should be a chance of it breaking, but I had a player try to build an army this way, I'd definitely make him manage it. These aren't some mindless animals you can trick with food, now you have to inspire them, convince them that they want to fight with them and meet their new list of needs, because I'll be fucked before I have to manage feeding a fucking army of animals.
>>
>>52587870
PAM.
>>
>>52587904
*if I had a player*
>>
Would you play a game based off Age of Mythology?
>>
>>52587725
>>52587761
>>52587821
Come on anons, he's obviously not the same person who originally posted about this. The first guy even said
>I have gathered a small army of awakened animals over a long time now
>>
>running a campaign for 4 people
>3 actually try to roleplay their characters
>1 is chaotic stupid both in character and ooc
>>
>>52587986
Prostagma?
>>
>>52587680
Been in the forest since level 1 with a lot of down time because of the other players. Spam casting awaken over several years gets dumb, ans then is it that leverage to make the rest of the forest love my character was easy.
>>
>>52587986
Vulome.
>>
>>52588017
>>52588045
guys please
>>
>>52588054
Eisvoli!
>>
>>52587785
Because 600 animals buffed by magic, against 150 unprepared is not "risking their lives"
>>
File: Diet.png (549KB, 734x800px) Image search: [Google]
Diet.png
549KB, 734x800px
Mind flayer anon here.

Going through Lords of Madness, this actually sounds very reasonable for a alien horror evil, of course, as the book says, it complicates with an increased number of mind flayers in a colony, but for a single 'adventurer' mind flayer getting one live humanoid every 1~4 weeks is pretty tame.

Unless the campaign has heavy undead and/or absolute lack of intelligent humanoid species as antagonists, it could easily get a meal out of every other combat, assuming its companions leave something alive enough for consumption.
>>
>>52588054
Tritomos!
>>
>>52587904
There isn't a chance of it breaking.
>>
>>52587761
Staff of woodlands.

Yeah he is pretty inexperienced. I didnt even intend to abuse it, but the occasion came up, and I was like... why not use the army we already Have?

The whole point was to help the forest denizens after 2 millenials of corruption.
>>
>>52588069
no one cares
>>
>>52588106
well you cared enough to respond to it, so checkmate
>>
>>52588063
> 600000 gp worth of agates
>>
>>52586031
>starts replying normally
>greentexts the second and third lines for no reason
What did he mean by this ?
>>
>>52588175
He is quoting his DM.
That's why he is using the quote feature of the site.
>>
>>52587561
Sounds like you didn't give a clear reason why any of this stuff would be happening or why they should leave their stuff behind.
And why the fuck did the bag of holding explode in the first place?
>>52587622
I'd probably look for a similar group in Greek mythology and model their fluff on that.
>>52587817
Small dungeon/town, yeah. It's so you don't get overwhelmed with the amount of worldbuilding needed, and so you don't accidentally overwhelm your players by dropping a shitload of things to do and places to see on them.
>>
You're invited to play in a campaign that starts at level 1 and allows all UA material, but you can't multiclass it. What do you play?
>>
>>52588117
i was just helping you out by telling you: no one cares
>>
>>52588213
scout fighter
>>
>>52588213
Either an Avatar Mystic or a Fey Bladelock. Both have been on my list for a while; the bladelock is suboptimal and would be allow3ed in a non-UA game, but it's also my favorite character concept so far.
>>
>>52588213
I would just play something that isn't UA anyway.
>>
>>52588213
does it also allow DMG classes, VGtM races and stuff?
>>
>>52588213
Gourmand Human Fighter
>>
>>52588213
Minotaur swashbuckler probably.
>>
>>52588264
Yes.
>>
Finesse weapons should be forced to use strength for damage because dex is obviously too good.
>>
>>52587225
Just be a wholegod demigod and use a long godbow
>>
>>52588303
Sharpshooter and GWM shouldn't be allowed in games because they are obviously too good compared to two weapon fighting and melee dex
>>
>>52587561
Sounds like they got what they deserved. I'd only ever advocate item destruction when its 100% telegraphed and the PCs are warned.

>>52587581
>>52587597
>>52587602
>3 posts of lower caps bitching

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 105.jpg (40KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
105.jpg
40KB, 300x300px
Anyone recognize this artist or know where I can find this art?
>>
>>52588303
>Finesse weapons should be forced to use strength for damage because dex is obviously too good.

Yeah that's why all the best damage builds use finesse weapons
>>
>>52588356
I think PAM and CBE are more the problem myself. The bonus action attacks trigger me.
Especially for crossbow expert how the fuck is firing a crossbow faster than any other weapon?
>>
>>52588213
I've had a Wu Jen Far Traveler concept in my head for a while. Last survivor of an expedition wants to learn necromancy so he can raise his lost allies and march them back to his homeland for proper burial.
>>
>>52588356
Martials are banned at my table because they deal too much damage without spending resources compared to casters.
>>
>>52588378
I forgot to say ranged weapons too.
Doesn't make sense for crossbows tho.
>>
>>52588399
I don't mind the idea of range being MADder than melee, and the way that range dudes are tankier than melee dudes is fucking bizarre, but on the other hand I'm glad that crossbows FINALLY get the respect they deserve.
>>
>>52588431
STR melee with Heavy Armor and DEX melee with S&B are both tankier than Ranged.
>>
>>52588149
>not reading the posts
Staff of woodlands mate
>>
>>52587995
But Chaotic Stupid is the best alignment!

>We arrive at the opulent palace of the next quest giver? I want to roll slight of hand to steal something as they're talking to us! LOL

>You agreed to let them go if they gave us information Lawful _____ guy? As soon as they start running away after the fact, I want to stealth, catch up, and slit their throat LOL

>I have a lol so random pet! Haha I'm wearing it as my hat XDDD

>All we have to do to get through this city is walk by? I attack one of the guards! What? it's what my character would do, he's chaotic!!

One day I'll get to see someone play a good CN, still haven't seen it yet and I've been D&D'n for well over a decade.
>>
>>52588202
Thanks it all makes sense now.
>>
File: 4086117-the-mask.jpg (48KB, 335x307px) Image search: [Google]
4086117-the-mask.jpg
48KB, 335x307px
>Chaos Bolt
>>
>>52588458

>STR melee with Heavy Armor

They have a big glaring flaw with reflex saves, meaning they take increased damage from AoE and dwaggin's breath etc.

>shield

Then /tg/ won't masturbate over your sick DPS bro
>>
File: 1491505210061.jpg (41KB, 511x640px) Image search: [Google]
1491505210061.jpg
41KB, 511x640px
>Arcane High Priest
At 14th level, you gain your chosen domain’s 17th-level benefits. Your academic nature and understanding of magic and doctrine allow you to master this ability sooner than a cleric of your domain.
>>
>>52588303
He is just reposting his shitposting.

Ignore the retard. He isnt coming with any actual arguments other than "dex too good" and "get rekt martials"
>>
>>52587402
And you sound like a whiny pathetic autistic piece of shit.
What's wrong with you?
>>
File: MrEastwoodIsDisgusted.gif (858KB, 240x228px) Image search: [Google]
MrEastwoodIsDisgusted.gif
858KB, 240x228px
>>52587268
>>52587392
>playing online
You deserve all that happens
>>
>>52585477
Got to give that artist credit. That's the ugliest wog elf I've ever seen.

I like chocolate elves as much as the next person, but that's disgusting.
>>
>>52588556
You can either accept the gods as ineffable, or you can eff them up.
>>
File: gary fucking oak.gif (367KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
gary fucking oak.gif
367KB, 500x375px
So I've got this idea for the final confrontation with the party's last rival, Gary Lechêne.

He now has this staff that allows him to open portals and has no idea how to really use it, so he'll just open up portals to the High Ice (= far north), or from other plans randomly chosen. The party'll have to close the portals, fight a bunch of rare creatures, and eventually grab this fuckface.

Now, guys, what could he summon that'd be fun and novel?
Party's made of four LVL3 but they're a-ok with their characters dying.
>>
>>52588469
>>You agreed to let them go if they gave us information Lawful _____ guy? As soon as they start running away after the fact, I want to stealth, catch up, and slit their throat LOL
Anon that's actually a smart thing to do.
>>
What are some notable shifts in alignment/ideals/philosophy in PCs or NPCs you've seen?
>When the Druid turns from "we have to protect the animals!" into "RULES OF NATURE"
>>
File: 1486509060859.jpg (141KB, 543x405px) Image search: [Google]
1486509060859.jpg
141KB, 543x405px
>>52588469
>But Chaotic Stupid is the best alignment

"The stairs lead up to the castle. There is a locked door, next to the door is a sleeping goblin. Hanging from the goblin's belt is a sword and a set of keys. What would you like to do?"

"Punch goblin"
>>
>>52588469
>>You agreed to let them go if they gave us information Lawful _____ guy? As soon as they start running away after the fact, I want to stealth, catch up, and slit their throat LOL

And that's bad how?

Let's say the party captures a bandit leader known as marauderer and rapist.
>Pally lets him go after a few crocodile tears instead of killing him on the spot to prevent future trouble.
>>
>>52588686
"Leave quietly, doing a poo at the bottom of the stairs before I go

Now what happens GM, build me a story"
>>
File: 1491263095960.gif (987KB, 500x452px) Image search: [Google]
1491263095960.gif
987KB, 500x452px
>>52588615
>Continuing a campaign online because we all moved
So you're saying I just shouldn't play games, then?
>>
>>52588571
The original post was about hkw shit demiliches are in 5e compared to earlier.

Them some faggot started talking about how they are totally fine, assuming you meta game like a faggot and arbitrarily buff it beyond how it is described, and change the save DCs.

It is a pointless argument - demiliches are shit compared to earlier editions. Why the hell would you actually try to argue against that?

That's like trying to argue against druids being weaker in 5e than they were in 3e. You are objectively wrong.
>>
File: n55774522536450889668at8.jpg (40KB, 604x483px) Image search: [Google]
n55774522536450889668at8.jpg
40KB, 604x483px
>>52588652
When the party incaps him will his Grandpa come in and give a savage beatdown about how disappointed he is in him?
>>
>>52588728
>The original post was about hkw shit demiliches are in 5e compared to earlier.

5e demiliches are much better than AD&D demiliches. You have to be excruciatingly retarded to trigger the AD&D demilich -- its borderline impossible to get PCs to launch FIFTY FUCKING ATTACKS on the dust apparition before they go "lol, wait, what."

>Why the hell would you actually try to argue against that?

Because you don't have rose colored glasses? (note: I prefer AD&D, so don't even go there)

>That's like trying to argue against druids being weaker in 5e than they were in 3e.

Certainly more convenient to play at low levels, though.
>>
>>52588715
>you do that, you are now considered "out of scene" and can't contribute to the story until the party meets you again
Ez
>>
>>52588773
"I rape a load of babies off screen, and kill the police when they come and do a poo on their corpses"
>>
Would it be possible to play a Druid that was raised in a city and has only ever known city life?
>>
>>52588787
Sure, just think of it like middle class white teenagers who act like they understand oppression of minorities and the poor.

You're a NJW (Nature Justice Warrior)
>>
>>52588811
what animal can a Nature Justice Warrior transform into?
>>
>>52588787
Sure, you can be an urchin with a pet rat or a mangy stray dog or cat or you can be a old lady who feeds pigeons or a pet shop owner.
>>
>>52588719
Yes. If you can't find local groups then it's preferable to endure friendless suffering than to play online.
Also your players are shit if they behave like that in a game between friends.
>>
>>52588559
Nah I'm serious.
Seems pretty clear to me that dex is better than strength as it stands now.
>>
>>52588834
Anything brightly coloured with a loud screech
>>
>>52588787
A while back in another thread, some anon mentioned a posh explorer type who fucked around in some tomb and was cursed/enchanted by the spirits within, giving him the ability to wildshape and general nature powers.
I shamelessly copied it and it's pretty fun tbqhfam
>>
>>52588834
birds, rats, raccoons, livestock depending on the city, dogs, cats, etc.
>>
File: 1459505155578.jpg (136KB, 860x645px) Image search: [Google]
1459505155578.jpg
136KB, 860x645px
REEE I CAN'T FUCKING INTRODUCE ANY JESTER NPC TO ANY PARTY BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS WANT TO KILL THEM.

WHY THE FUCK DO THEY ALWAYS WANT TO KILL THE JESTER?????????

FUFFADW
>>
Does GFB combo with Martial Arts? Cast GFB, attack with shortsword, follow up with unarmed strike?
>>
>>52588843
That's a design decision, they deliberately made DEX, CON and WIS godstats and major saves and expecting for every ability score to be equally as good is silly. if you want a system where every score is evenly weighted, you better start making it because 5e is not that system and it has zero intentions of being it.
>>
>>52588919
Kefka flashbacks.

>>52588945
Nope. GFB is a spell that grants an attack, not the Attack action FoB requires.
>>
File: Kefka_Dissidia.png (853KB, 765x1019px) Image search: [Google]
Kefka_Dissidia.png
853KB, 765x1019px
>>52588919
Clowns are always evil
Court viziers are always evil
Jesters are a combination of both
>>
>>52588843
Your suggestion would destroy Dex.
>>
>>52588919
the jester jests their buttholes full of confetti. it's an undercover high rank operative from a foreign country, it's a high level bard that just wants to bring smiles to people or they just kill it and the king/court gets pissed of at them for it, persecuting them for the rest of their lives.
>>
>>52588356
Why not buff TWF then?
>>
>>52588919
>no baby over his face

Rookie mistake
>>
>>52588728
As the faggot you're talking about, I'd like you to show me where I said demiliches are fine. What I did say was that I'd make its save DCs work with the usual math (not arbitrary) and give it more HP, and I gave advice on how to run Acererak.
>>
>>52588960
Dang. Well I'm a Monk dipping into Warlock for a couple levels, any suggestions on a second cantrip?
>>
>>52589006
no idea the context but i assume that even if they headshot him, he would collapse and crush the babies on his back/hurt the rest with the fall.
>>
>>52588954
Everyone needs some con but you never see con-based characters because it's not as good as whatever your primary stat is. Not exactly what I would call a "godstat", even if its save is more common.
>>52588986
That's hyperbole. Dex still has a lot of great benefits. It's just an incentive to not completely dump strength. Seems fair to me, strength characters already have plenty of reasons to not dump dex.
>>
>>52589010
Only reason to take warlock as monk is 2 levels for Devil's Sight as Shadow Monk. No further.
>>
>>52589026
He gets garroted from above btw
>>
>>52588892
That seems pretty similar to a warlock
>>
>>52589035
Yeah, but I still get 2 cantrips and I don't know what to take besides Eldritch Blast.
>>
>>52589038
Which a baby over the face would have prevented, can't trap the little munchkin's legs in the noose
>>
>>52589010
Well your charisma is probably going to be too low to be an effective blaster. Mage hand for minor jedi shenanigans, or maybe minor illusion for trickery (remember: no save unless they interact with it)
>>
File: 1481855399737.jpg (63KB, 817x857px) Image search: [Google]
1481855399737.jpg
63KB, 817x857px
>>52588919
would this strategy work to make a paladin fall out of their god's favor?

The villain covered in babies is trying to ignite the fuse that will destroy an entire city killing thousands of innocent people.

If the Paladin tries to stop the villain he will inevitably crush some babies.

If he doesn't try to stop him then he's responsible for the death of everyone in the city.
>>
>>52589077
Paladins don't 'fall out of their god's favor'. Paladins don't even need gods.

Paladins only fall if they lose faith in their own oath and convictions. Depending on your player, they might look at an unwinnable situation and go 'well whats the fucking point of my oath then' and fall, or they might go 'i have to choose the lesser of the two evils here' and persist.
>>
>>52589077
Your argument is stupid because why doesn't the Paladin get a friend to grab the guy after he dies but before he falls, or why doesn't he get the Wizard to teleport the babies away, or fuck thisguy and go disarm the bomb then come back?
>>
>>52589065
I've got 14 CHA total, and I took warlock because I thought it'd be a good ranged option when I needed it, Hex, and Devil's Sight. I'll be doing Shadow Monk so I'll get Minor Illusion at 6th, so I suppose I'll take Mage Hand instead. Thank you.
>>
>>52589047

Mage Hand
Friends
Prestidigitation
Blade Ward

I'd ditch Eldritch Blast; you can teleport, and if you really need a ranged option on top of that you can just throw daggers. This frees up an invocation for something useful like Armor of Shadows if your WIS is less than 3.
>>
>>52589047
I'd take Mage Hand and Prestigiditation but depends on your background.

Poison Spray can be pretty nice if your DM allows you to fuck around a bit with it.

If your DM allows the houserule to make it so True Strike acts like a ranged Help on attacks (aka: you can communicate the vision your true strike granted you), it's quite OK in certain situations.

If your DM allows you to etch the sigil of warding on objects that aren't worn or carried, even Blade Ward becomes pretty fun. My players used it on doors last session to make it harder for guards to follow them.
>>
>>52589103
Robe of magic resistance. Can't teleport the babies without breaking the robe's spell protection first. Also, there is no time to send anyone to restrain the guy. Only time to maybe throw a sword or shoot an arrow.
>>
>>52589038
>garroted
first time seeing the word in english, confused me thoroughly as in spanish a garrote is a large club or other bludgeoning weapon.
>>
>>52589077
Depends on the DM. Going from rules as written, It would break the oath, but there are no mechanical rules for a paladin falling, it's all up to the DM.

Probably no though with any sane DM.
>>
>>52589048
IRL they probably would have just flashbanged the shit outta him, then rushed in with SWAT.

>but wouldn't that hurt and burn the babies
Absolutely, but SWAT doesn't have the best track record with not grenading babies anyhow.
>>
>>52589103
>>52589077
More important question - how did the Paladin get himself into a situation where this mass murdering jackass managed to tape a load of babies to himself as he lit the fuse?

If the Paladin ust walked in on it then how can he be blamed for the outcome of this completely bullshit scenario.

But if the Paladin knew about this guy and through his own actions (or inaction) didn't try to stop the situation escalating long before it got to this, THEN maybe he loses his powers. But because he's clearly unworthy of them and a fair weather paladin, not because he made the wrong choice on the BBEG's stupid fucking trolley dilemma.
>>
>>52589121
Personally, I'd skip AoS and pick up Fiendish Vigor, since if he has less than 16 wis why is he playing a monk?
>>
what is the cylindrical tube used to store maps/large documents in called?
>>
>>52589129
Missing the point. Only a shit Paladin would let the villain dictate their actions. Real Paladins make choices, find third options and use others to help. As long as he can lay his head down that night knowing he did everything within his power and the creed he follows, then his powers remain intact even if the city and the babies die.

Besides, that's what resurrection spells are for.
>>
>>52589047
Sword Burst.
Dex save for half damage on it and it deals FORCE damage.
Just use your mobility to run into a groop of mobs and cast it.
>>
What class have you reworked the flavor but kept mechanically the same?

I have a monk that just swaps calmness with anger, what about yous guys.
>>
>>52589201
Mystic binds spirits to himself instead of using psychic powers.
>>
>>52589201
muscle wizard
>>
>>52589195
scroll case
>>
>>52589195
I would just call it a map case, but specify that it's like a leather cylinder or whatever.
>>
>>52589198
Aw, thanks, that's good. I'm usually the one that does clean-up of the smaller guys so that can def be handy.
>>
>>52589228
>>52589232
see that's what I've been doing but I just feel like it has some official name. Either way, thanks anons, I'll just stick with X case.
>>
>>52589214
Binder?
>>
>>52589246
It's trash. It only hits adjacent enemies so you can just punch them instead.
>>
>>52589293
Man, I miss the Binder

So cool, but so unbelievably shit
>>
>>52589284
it's a scroll case
that's it's official name
>>
What do you prefer. Rolling a character's stats, using the standard array or the point-buy system?
>>
>>52589293
You know it.

>>52589246
>>52589296
Yeah, sword burst is really bad. If you can't make up your mind, Booming Blade might be good as a minor lockdown ability; no saves, normal melee attack roll, and deals loads of damage if they move.
>>
>>52589316
Roll 3d6 x6, in order, no do overs, choose class and race before rolling
>>
>>52589322
that's torture
>>
>>52589316
point buy is the only non retarded option
>>
>>52589316
>Rolling a character's stats
this should be forbidden
>>
>>52589316
Point buy. I've bookmarked a reddit post that's got all the combinations so I just refer to that.
>>52589296
>>52589319
Oh, I guess that makes more sense.
>>
File: 3d6 in order.png (527KB, 597x398px) Image search: [Google]
3d6 in order.png
527KB, 597x398px
>>52589322
>>
File: 1485382611641s.jpg (2KB, 125x98px) Image search: [Google]
1485382611641s.jpg
2KB, 125x98px
>>52589339
>I've bookmarked a reddit post
>>
>>52589361
website tribalism and sam hyde, your autism is showing
>>
>>52589404
Fuck off, redditor.
>>
>>52589316
Typically I'm a point buy guy.

[spoilers]Though with close friends and people I trust I'll roll 4d6d1. I loathe taking +2 at level 4 but doing the math with AC you need 18 to be constantly above 50% chance to hit.[/spoilers]
>>
>>52589404
Sam Hyde is pretty funny.
>>
>>52589404
>website tribalism
holy shit
>>
>>52589441
If regurgitating tired /pol/ maymeighs is funny, sure
>>
>>52589440
>I loathe
this thread is faggot central today
>>
>>52589008
>assuming you are replying to the same guy ever
I didn't assume the OP was a faggot, I was assuming the mass of posts claiming "hurr just do this and he is super good" was made by retards, who should just fucking read the posts.

Demiliches are shit for their CR, and are a complete joke for a party at appropriate level. The only way he can be even remotely close to a threat, is if he is played by a meta gaming GM, and then even a pack of wolves could be a serious threat I'd you are doing that.
>>
>>52589339
>>52589338
>>52589336
minmaxing munchkins detected

you retards should get a lifetime ban on DnD
>>
What's the feat you always say you want to try but never get around to it?

I always wanted to go Inspiring Leader but I'm too selfish.
>>
>>52589503
>you retards should get a lifetime ban on DnD
baby's first burn
>>
>>52589503
Rolling the way the book tells you is probably going to get you better stats than point buy.
>>
>>52589514
and then occasionally you get that one guy who's highest stat is 10
>>
>>52589135
Hitman is a popular game.
>>
>>52589503
That's not a very fair assessment, I usually go with something based on my character.
>>
>>52586283
They're still better than, say, AD&D demiliches.
>>
>>52589532
Yeah, if he doesn't reroll that, or the DM doesn't let him, I'd walk out on that game.

After you're done rolling, but before you add racial modifiers, add all your ability modifiers together. If the total is less than +5 (equivalent to the standard array), you should be allowed a reroll.
>>
>>52589575
>>52589575
>>52589575
GET IN HERE
>>
>>52589581
no
>>
>>52589572
I'd rather play with my highest stat being a fucking 10 than waste my time rerolling. If you agreed to roll, then play with what you rolled or jump off a cliff.
>>
>>52589508
Sentinel. I always hate things that run away, though ranged characters usually deal with runners instead of my melee characters.
>>
>>52589572
If you do that you're just rolling to get super-characters.
>>
>>52589572
>Yeah, if he doesn't reroll that, or the DM doesn't let him, I'd walk out on that game.

What a big surprise that the munchkin turds who feel entitled to force everyone to roll for stats would ragequit if they didn't get lucky. This sort of garbage is exactly why I hate rolling for stats post TSR.
>>
>>52589029
>Dex still has a lot of great benefits.
Like what? Assuming your suggestion:

Dex gives AC = made redundant by heavy armour that caps your dex anyway
Dex saves
Stealthy skills
Acrobatics that is mostly covered by athletics (which is generally superior anyway)
Initiative

Good job, you now have an attribute that gives initiative and dex saves. Literally made it bottom tier shit attribute along with intelligence.

Fighters now have more reasons to go wisdom instead.

Oh, and you killed Rogues. Completely. Can't hit worth shit, no bonus damage. Alternatively, they are somewhat decent in a fight... But cant actually do their rogue shit (hiding and stealing) well anymore.

Tl;dr: kys
>>
>>52589572
So you just reroll until your stats are as good as the standard array or better.

Who are the real minmaxers?
>>
>>52589581
already? the thread isn't even on page 6 yet you fag
>>
>>52589634
Dex still applies to attack rolls you fucking idiot.
>>
>>52586318
CRs are balanced in accordance with a given amount of hit points.

Acerak is a dummy, but a demilich doesn't have difficulty forcing PCs to use ranged attacks on it. Something like a sharpshooter would be very effective, but many parties will have no easy way at all to handle one, esp since they can antimagic casters.
>>
>>52589655
Oh, sorry

Rogues are dead, finesse weapons are traps, and pure strength characters are the only martial worth making.

Much better!
>>
>>52589829
If all it takes for rogues to be dead in your eyes is losing like 3 damage a round, you must not have a very high opinion of them anyway.
>>
>>52589581
Fucking pfg tier thread right there, kindly neck yourself.
>>
>>52589201
Yeah, if only there was a D&D class based entirely on anger. As it is, we just have to homebrew everything we want.
>>
>>52589861
>3 damage
You are a special kind of retard

And you are doing this why? Dex is not at all the God stat is was in previous editions. It is a nice to have, but no more than Wisdom.

Con is significantly better for almost all characters.

Worse, you are actually turning strength into a super good stat, probably the best one, because you now hit easily with the strongest weapons in game, no restrictions on your weapon selection, since finesse can still just use strength for to hit and damage, and now bows do too.

And you can grapple with strengths.

You just broke classes relying on Dex, and invalidated all Dex fighters for absolutely no reason, since Dex fighters were already worse than strength.
>>
>>52590141

Non pfg troll thread
>>
>>52588919
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3J8FYKZ52w
>>
>>52590080
My guess is he wanted to play an unarmed fighter and didn't like the Barb setup.
>>
>>52589632
Getting rolls that shitty is incredibly bad luck. The standard array makes for a okay spread, not a super-character

That said, the issue is circumvented by not fucking rolling and just using the array/point buy. It always gives me a good laugh when I see people in this board unironically arguing that rolling for stats makes them brave or virile
>>
>>52589135
No a garrote is a strangulation collar. It was the execution method used by Franco for the basque terrorists, along with the tornillo vril.
>>
>>52586777
Good, now kick him from the table.
Thread posts: 362
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.