[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT times you regretted GM'ing a specific system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: miz cena.png (404KB, 457x655px) Image search: [Google]
miz cena.png
404KB, 457x655px
I tried to run a Wuxia game using Savage Worlds Supers because it was easy to prep for. It ended up being a bad choice though, since all the combats ended lightning-fast and were highly luck-dependent rather than feeling like an epic duel between animu fightan masters. Then I found out there were systems like Legends of the Wulin that specifically focuses on Wuxia and I made a bad choice.
>>
We barely researched Symbaroum and got hyped at the premise.
Then we started plating It and I realized that the book provides nothing to use for Its own setting, has no social combat, no pvp, no tables for anything, no nothing but a collection of talents with barely any sense of progression. I ditched that one and refluffed Mouse Guard to restart the story. It feels so much better.

I might use Symbaroum for a mindless hack 'n slash feel kinda game
>>
>>52581647
I ran a Pathfinder game for two fucking years and it almost burned me out on tabletop RPGs altogether. It was so fucking clumsy and clunky and awful, and it felt like the game was actively trying to stop me from having fun running it.
>>
>>52582065
Are you my old GM?
>>
>>52582180
I might be. Does the Mage-Emperor of Zalam ring a bell?
>>
>>52581780
How's Mouseguard as a system?
I've been interested at the premise, but my old group burned through systems almost as fast as we switched up games, so I've been leery of system-hopping, just ran with FATE for like 2 years now.
>>
>>52582989
Of course that's only my impression but I love that system. The conflict system covers combat, social situations, chases, stealth and whatever. It's rather paper, rock, scissors, supported by skills but with enough narrationIt works wonders. Personality traits extend to stats.

It's not about stuff collecting though, there's not much to feel progress mechanically.
With MG, aside from a standard mouse game I did succesful Assassin's Creed and Dragon's Dogma games. The book is nice and easy to read so I recommend doing at least that
>>
>>52583175
Cool, thanks for the recommendation.
I like a flexible system and one the other players isn't much a fan of FATE.
Cool that you managed both AC and DD with the system.
Will at least find the book and give it a look.
>>
>>52583175
Meant to ask this earlier but my power went out.
I seem to recall there being issues with errata for Mouse Guard, is that still an ongoing thing?
>>
>>52582209
Nope.
>>
>>52582065
>it felt like the game was actively trying to stop me from having fun running it
Yeah, that's d20 all right.
>>
>>52581780

You and I might have read different games. THe only thing I agree on is the lack of PvP rules (which I'm fine with, but they're easy enough to discern) and the lack of social combat rules (which I don't feel are necessary).
>>
>>52581647
GURPS
>>
>>52581647
About the only thing I can say is Pathfinder, and even that was far more about the autists in my area who like to play pathfinder than it is about the system itself.

While system is certainly important, a good group with a bad system is enormously better than a good system with a bad group.
>>
>>52581647
I tried Exalted.

I hated how everything was charms, charms, charms, charms, charms, charms, charms, charms, charms, charms, charms, charms, charms, charms...
>>
>>52586742
>it's the d20
You sound like an elitist asshole
>>
>>52581647
I've been running a 5e campaign for 2 years and I hate it. The way that players blow through anything that's "not level appropriate" and that you need to have umpteen encounters a day if you want to challenge them at all infuriates me
>>
>>52586849
Details? Or are you just here to meme?
>>
File: 123898b.jpg (446KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
123898b.jpg
446KB, 612x792px
You haven't experienced bad systems until you've ran VTR, it doesn't even feel complete.
>>
>>52581647
I started an Exalted 3e game two years ago. My players still want me to run it, but the system is too harsh to run for me. So I've been on hiatus for a longer time than I would like to admit. They haven't given up hope yet.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.