[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D&D fantasy wargame?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: BattleSystem.jpg (55KB, 377x500px) Image search: [Google]
BattleSystem.jpg
55KB, 377x500px
Odd question /tg/, but how come WOTC hasn't gotten into the market of wargaming? With Warhammer fantasy battles being dead as a lump of iron, one would imagine they could safely compete in this niche market.

I'm aware of their current brand known as attack wing, but that doesn't seem to be the same as painting, collecting, and building armies. In fact, they seemed to have had even tried to get into this aspect of their universe, with installments of Battlesystem, (pic related) but as far as wikipedia states, it only stayed supported up to AD&D. Why is this /tg/? Surely some of you here would be interested in having an army of kobolds, giants, and what have you. Is WOTC just not interested in this market, or is there a more hard limitation on it (lack of funds, unsure audience)?

tl;dr: Why no WHFB equivalent for D&D?
>>
One bump before work. Hope to see some fun discussion.
>>
D&D 1e and 2e are supposed to be war games, you take control of several adventures and run mass scale battles and dungeons
3e changed the game into what we know it as today
>>
>>52576342
They did (multiple times). First didn't work out so good (which is a shame, the actual rules were pretty baller). Second and third times went better (which is also a shame, because the rules and minis were trash).
>>
it's been a while since I read the rules part of it, but I remember the version of Chainmail that WOTC briefly did wasn't half bad in terms of rules, certainly had a pretty good default setting

in terms of current rulesets I'd probably nominate Dragon Rampant though
>>
>>52578479
>>52580219
That's interesting.

What's the chance Wizards will bring it back for 5th?
>>
>>52581797
pretty low I imagine, they barely even give a damn about D&D these days in the first place
>>
>>52581989
Well I for one would like to play a D&D war game.

But my main question is, would it have to be it's own unique setting, or take place in an established setting? FR seems to be the default for 5e, so I can imagine a Faerun war game.
>>
>>52582932
MAKE BIRTHRIGHT GREAT AGAIN
>>
>>52583696
Not familiar with it. Want to give the quick and dirty in how it can be a war game?
>>
>>52584256
It's a 2e setting focused on running nations. It included its own rules for mass combat, but those, the taxation rules, and 2e itself are just an unnecessarily complex clusterfuck.
>>
A couple reasons. . .

- The current generation of young gamers with money doesn't have the patience to paint, collect, and build. They pretty much want it all right now.

- In the AoS community (the rightful/wrongful successor of WHFB), the majority of these dumbshits play with grey unpainted armies. They don't even prime them for fuck's sake. Don't be fooled by pics online. If you're a regular to your FLGS, you know what I mean.

- Battlesystem and the old WHFB were probably among the last of a dying breed of fantasy wargaming. AoS isn't a wargame, at least not in the traditional sense. It's much more simplistic and "something else" altogether.
>>
>>52584315
Pfffft I'd argue they are less complex then what is on the market today.
>>
There are lots of generic fantasy wargames out there, WOTC really doesn't need to throw their hat in.
Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish is specifically influenced by early D&D in particular.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.