[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting started with RPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: ?.jpg (18KB, 626x626px) Image search: [Google]
?.jpg
18KB, 626x626px
I've never played a RPG in my life (closest I've got was probably playing Hero's Quest when I was a kid) but I would like to give them a try. The trouble is that there is so much mass of complex material out there that I am lost. What would be the best way for someone that has no idea what he's doing to try it out?
>>
Try to find a non-autist group in your town and play along. You'll get the ropes eventually. Meanwhile, pick a handbook that fits your style and read it.
We all started this way I guess.
>>
>>52568817
This.

Find a group of people who you like. Ask them for help. Play a few games. If you like how it goes, start reading handbooks and stuff if you like. Maybe try your hand in running a game.
>>
>>52568817
>>52568844

Thanks, there seem to be a few local groups, will check them out a bit further.

I had a look at one of the groups facebook pages, the first post I saw was:
>Seven Ways to Make Your Campaign More Progressive

with a whole lot of bullshit about 'problematic elements' etc. I'm not a massive /pol/ack but the last thing I want to do is spend time with people who care about the social justice implications of their magic goblins. How prevalent and/or easily avoidable is this sort of stuff?
>>
>>52568795
Is there a certain genre you are interested in?
DnD is jrpg high fantasy
World of Darkness is like Buffy or Twilight
>>
>>52569058
DnD type games seem more like my cup of tea
>>
>>52569081
Check out the 5e general here. There's PDFs
>>
File: 1451765287704.jpg (38KB, 296x341px) Image search: [Google]
1451765287704.jpg
38KB, 296x341px
>>52569058
>DnD is jrpg high fantasy
>>
File: Hennet_Sam-Wood_PHB3e.jpg (133KB, 400x566px) Image search: [Google]
Hennet_Sam-Wood_PHB3e.jpg
133KB, 400x566px
>>52569201
It totally is. The only thing low fantasy about DnD is the art and sometimes you get shit like pic related.

>reality warping magic
>dragons around every corner
>adventurers coming back to life daily
>plane hopping adventures
>loads of gish spellsword classes
>character classes range from bird people to robots to psychic crystal golems to dark elves ect.
>>
>>52569268
But what's so JRPG about DnD?
>>
>>52569054
Just play with friends and learn as a group. Most of the time sjw is not that prevalent, but the more indie you get the more of that there is - especially online
>>
File: Retard Alert.gif (480KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
Retard Alert.gif
480KB, 493x342px
>>52569058
>I don't like high fantasy so I'm gonna blame the anime boogieman
>>
>>52569309
Wow rude
I like DnD because it's balls crazy high fantasy
>>52569282
It's not literally jrpg, I just said that to emphasise how ridiculous it can be. Also Final Fantasy was based on DnD.
>>
>>52569325
Calling D&D jrpg is kinda like saying the Ancient Greeks had Roman-inspired Architecture.
>>
>>52569351
The point is that, for the layman who is only familiar with Asterix & Obelix, they'd go "hey, these greek buildings look kinda roman!".
>>
>>52569385
>the layman who is only familiar with Asterix & Obelix

You mean the fool being wrong?
>>
>>52569268
>The only thing low fantasy about DnD

At low levels, it's low fantasy.

D&D is kitchen sink fantasy, which means you can play just about any kind of fantasy.
>>
>>52569296
Unfortunately I don't have any friends interested in this sort of thing so going to have to try my luck
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.