[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How America Sees Other Cultures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 370
Thread images: 28

You ever think that the way Americans, especially American children, see other peoples cultures, makes them seem more interesting than they really are?

Take Japan during the 80's. Now picture the way American's viewed it compared to the way it really was. In reality, it was more like 1950's america, put when a 13 year old kid pictured japan back then all he could think of were Ninja and Samurai and Martial Arts and Mystic Chinamancers.

They were put under the spell not by what your culture was actually comprised of, but by how it their culture was presented, how it was perceived by others.

Pic Related: Would anybody even watch something like this nowadays?
>>
>>52565970
There is nothing wrong with saying "Go America!" if you're not jamming your foot up someones ass.
>>
>>52565970
I saw Red Heat for the first time a few years ago. its alright.

And obviously people see foreign places as exotic. That's been the case since forever.
>>
>>52566105
How do you think kids from other countries see america?

Do you think they look up to us? Do you think they still want to go there?
>>
>>52566209
Not now.

US is Nazi Germany to the rest of the world's population right now.
>>
>>52565970
I forgot that movie existed
>>
>>52566257
Most countries outside of Europe and North America don't even have a strong opinion on Nazi Germany.
>>
File: 1491416026873.jpg (245KB, 900x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1491416026873.jpg
245KB, 900x1024px
>>52566257
>US is Nazi Germany

Please, the Third Reich was a pinnacle of civilization compered to the United States of Federal Reserve
>>
>>52566209
>Look up to America
Hell no
>Do you think they still want to go there?
Yes
>>
This is, actually, one of the issues that post colonialism tries to put under the light. Edward Said's Orientalism have a take on how the West (first world metropolis) sees the other half of the world veiled by his own ideologies put over the real deal. He even takes on the fact that Academia has "experts" on orient, thus stablishing a correct interpretation of orient instead of letting orient repressent itself. The classical "I know how you feel, so please shut up and let me fix it all for you".

>The Orient is watched, since its almost (but never quite) offensive behavior issues out of a reservoir of infinite peculiarity; the European, whose sensibility tours the Orient, is a watcher, never involved, always detached, always ready for new examples of what the Description de l'Egypte called "bizarre jouissance." The Orient becomes a living tableau of queerness.

This quote, by Said in Orientalism, can be applied to every other culture. Just like you said, Japan was ninjaland.
>>
>>52566209
Honestly, most of the world hates you guys.
We love the things you make, but we hate your nation and your people.
Americans have a reputation of being obnoxious, ignorant and intolerant - and the way your tourists act abroad really solidifies that in the eyes of others (that being said most tourists are fucking awful, people just single out Americans due to confirmation bias).
People still want to go to America because it's this huge iconic landmass we hear about in all of the media. We want to see New York, Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Disneyland, etc. However, there's little sense of respect, just curiosity and novelty.

On a personal level, I've been to America a few times and know that it's not one big homogenous culture, but really more like 4 or 5 smaller ones depending on region and upbringing. It has its good and bad points like any other country.
However, the one thing that pisses me off the most is young Americans - late teens to early twenties. Your college system is a complete joke and is basically just an extension of high school. Nearly every American I've met in that age bracket has been ridiculously immature, and your ridiculous 21 year old drinking age just serves to fetishise it for young people so that when they finally can drink in public they're as obnoxious as they can be.
Again, this is just personal opinion. I'm Australian, and we're arguably just as bad, if not worse, when it comes to behaviour around foreigners.
>>
>>52566308
Thats kind of fucking hypocritical, don't you think?
>>
>>52566324
But don't you think there is some hope in that optimism? Looking at other cultures as being bright and energetic and seeing their ideology and way of life in a whole new way, isn't there something good that can come of that? I mean sure, its embaressing, but isn't it also a little flattering?
>>
File: IMG_1861.png (256KB, 1179x777px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1861.png
256KB, 1179x777px
>>52566209
Take the worst stereotypes of hysterical and hypocritcal liberals and leftists, then add to that all the negative stereotypes about right wingers, rednecks, teabaggers, and filthy rich 1% rich people living in ivory towers far away from reality. Also you're all fat and stupid, keep starting retarded wars and screwing around in other people's backyards and still don't understand why people don't like you. And your food culture sucks and you can't drink for shit.

We will sit and think this while listening to American music, drinking Coca Cola and watching an American movie. Although, the prevalence of American music around the world is drastically overrated by Americans.

A setting based on how America views the world could be pretty fun though.

Also, Red Heat is based.
>>
>>52566519
Speaking as a guy working nights in a 7Eleven in the part of town full of hotels. American tourists are actually in the nice end. In fact they're so nice I can remember the exact two that pissed me off. One guy looking at me like a retard while I was being polite only to tell me that he wasn't gonna tip me, in a country that doesn't tip and to a guy not even allowed to take tips. Apparently professional courtesy is alien to clappers. The other guy tried to steal a snickers, but he was just a dumb teenager so whatever.

Fucking Swedes make me so fucking irrationally angry though. I am Danish, so that's genetic.
>>
>>52567072
>And your food culture sucks and you can't drink for shit.

This is literally the only thing I contest of this. American food culture is great when you leave the burger joints and Arbys behind and get into the down-home traditional cooking.
>>
>>52567155
America is full of fucking amazing food, and it's varied as fuck, it's like every town or even part of town has it's own thing going on, but for some fucking reason so many of you seem to just stuff your face with shit. You're way to fond of pre processed food.

Fuck, you're making me wanna go visit again.
>>
>>52567241
>You're way to fond of pre processed food.

This is basically for two reasons:

1) It's cheap
2) There's a lot of low-income folks here to whom cheap food is a godsend.
>>
>>52565970
>You ever think that the way Americans, especially American children, see other peoples cultures, makes them seem more interesting than they really are?
I think that's true in general. The exaggerated way other cultures seem to see America is more entertaining to me than actual American culture.
>>
>>52567297
>The exaggerated way other cultures seem to see America is more entertaining to me than actual American culture.
Fucking this. Holy hell you want some real entertainment listen to an Asian or a Eurofag try to explain American culture for their respective countrymen.
>>
>>52566276
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz90LWzKsHo
>>
>>52566209
>How do you think kids from other countries see america?

People will usually treat you like you'd expect it in casual contact, but in the long run, you'll learn all about their negative opinions about your country.

It's nothing personnell though. You're just going to serve as their stand-in for the folks who abduct people in airports, gas vietnamese children, kill the bees, shoot nonwhites or whatever else that particular nation's media can sell them as salt.
>>
>>52566519
in my experience as a fellow australian, people seem to really like us as tourists
I legitimately had people in poland react coldly towards me for speaking english until they found out I was australian.
>>
File: c07.png (133KB, 926x372px) Image search: [Google]
c07.png
133KB, 926x372px
>>52566324
>Edward Said's Orientalism have a take on how the West (first world metropolis) sees the other half of the world veiled by his own ideologies put over the real deal.
Any argument invoking the word "ideology" to explain the American love of ninjas is surely straining the definition of the term to its breaking point. The coolness of ninjas transcends such earthly trifles.

>>52566720
>Looking at other cultures as being bright and energetic and seeing their ideology and way of life in a whole new way, isn't there something good that can come of that?
Well, that's the thing, isn't it? These visions we have of other cultures—and they of ours—as exotic and exciting and wonderful are all wrong. Other places are complex, shabby, boring, and terrible, in the same way that everywhere is complex, shabby, boring, and terrible; nowhere is actually cool enough to contain Mystic Chinamancers, or their local equivalents. (There are lots of people who'd say that reality is just as exciting and wonderful as fiction is, but I think they're probably lying to themselves; either that, or the only fiction they like is character-driven realistic literature.) There is undeniably a good case for chucking the exoticism and embracing dreary reality, insofar as accurately perceiving other people is a prerequisite to treating them fairly, but doing so involves acknowledging a relatively dull, dreary reality.

Maybe that's why I'm so delighted by mangled Americana? Why I enjoy it when people from somewhere else get us wildly wrong? I adore the things that arise from such misinterpretations.

It reminds of Mr. Smith here, who is clearly headed to an America far superior to the one I live in. Godspeed, Mr. Smith! May Nickelodeon welcome you with open arms!
>>
>>52567284
But in other countries, people people can each shit that isn't overly processed.
>>
>>52565970
Relevant
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome
>>
>>52567408
Sometimes I wonder how the health situation would be in this country if processed food wasn't so cheap.
>>
>>52567367
Speaking in sweeping generalities of tourists, from my own observations of living in a non-native english speaking country that gets a lot of tourists from all over:

Australian tourists are stupid, but delightfully stupid. They tend to be a curious lot at the very least and most willing to try "strange" and new things.

American tourists are stupid, more often than not frustratingly stupid. A lot of them lean more toward the Australian side of the spectrum but are far more adverse to the unfamiliar.

Brit tourists are the worst of the English speaking world. It's like they go out of their way to be rude assholes critical of anything and everything that is even slightly different from their own culture. It's amazing they bother to even leave their country given how much they despise everything that's unfamiliar to them and how loudly they make it known.
For all the stereotypes there are about bigots in America, I've never met anyone more bigoted than a british tourist.

Canadians are like Australians, but markedly less stupid. Good on you, Canada.

New Zealanders are just Australians who get mad when you call them Australians.

And the Irish are delightfully stupid as well, but for reasons different from Australians. And they own their stupidity, adding to their charm.
>>
>>52567479
>Canadians are like Australians, but markedly less stupid. Good on you, Canada.

With one exception. Canadian tourists in Spain have a worse reputation than American ones.
>>
>>52567408
When I was ten or so, my mom decided to actually learn how to cook, as in cooking something where she knew everything she put into it.
The difference isn't even funny. Even the gap between mac and cheese is Olympic swimming pool levels. As someone who eats a lot of processed foods as a matter of being a college student, my family's red sauce blows Ragu out of the fucking water. I can't stand Ragu any more because of how comparatively soupy it is- like someone poured some spices into Campbell and let it simmer a bit.
>>
>>52567539
>between home mac and cheese and packaged mac and cheese
Fuck, need to go to bed.
>>
>>52565970
Wrong board?
>>
>>52567431
It's not about how cheap processed food is, it's about how poor many Americans are, and how you refuse to solve any of the issues keeping people economically oppressed because you have a bunch of old baby boomers who think anything that could possibly benefit someone else is akin to turning america communist still running the country.

Making processed food more expensive isn't going to help anyone, making it so they can afford real food will.
>>
>>52567479
>>52566519
Yeah, I'd say American tourists have a 50/50 reputation - half being big tippers who are kind of earnest and to whom everything is quaint (a little annoying, but you know they mean well), the other half being obnoxious

But Brits generally make much worse tourists.
Though the being critical of everything is basically second nature to a Brit, so that's mostly not them being rude. Everything else is though.
>>
>>52567573
That's only part of it. The other is scale--large country, larger number of people affected by every economic fuckup, more people who need cheap eats.

Though still, if shitty food wasn't the cheapest option, I still think you'd see benefit if you actually replaced it with something that was less nutritionally garbage. But then I guess that's the kind of thinking that leads to Soylent Green and Matrix slop.
>>
>>52567573
>a bunch of old baby boomers who think anything that could possibly benefit someone else is akin to turning america communist
It's more that they're the ones directly benefiting from the economic oppression and keep it going by tricking everyone into thinking that any fixes will turn America communist.
>>
>>52567549
Not OP but it doesn't really matter now does it? Discussion's pretty solid here as well.
You don't even need the other boards or something like that

>>52566519
This is rather true. As a yuro it's a 50/50 really. One part it's "America the big fat stupid loud obnoxious libtard redneck who shoot first and tell everyone to fuck off later, while at the same time crying over having guns in the first place"

That's just generalizing the negative views about you. tl;dr the people who see americans negatively see them as fucking retarded, and for the past 10 years at least: Also as a threat to the health of the whole fucking world.

Now then there's all the positive views as well, which pretty much boil down to the "not all yanks are fucking retarded" -argument which is pretty solid. It's just that americans are rarely seen as nice.

As for tourists? Good american tourists are the ones that tell you they're american if you ask them where they're from. The flag waving obnoxious cunts are already hated as a preset by the negative views on 'muricans (being a bunch of retarded loud obnoxious fucks)
>>
>>52567616
>Though still, if shitty food wasn't the cheapest option, I still think you'd see benefit
No, you wouldn't. That's just not how things work, and there's way, WAY more to the issue than simply price.
>>
>>52565970
>Would anybody even watch something like this nowadays?
I mean It's got Arnie in it so I'm sold
also who doesn't love the over the top theatrics of communist Russia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMCx7UcdVP4
>>
>>52566519
>it's not one big homogenous culture, but really more like 4 or 5 smaller ones depending on region and upbringing
Oh it's far, far more than that. You can easily break American cultures down not only by State, but by COUNTY (the next administrative sub-division below State), and still find remarkable differences. Trust me, if you were in New York and started at Montauk Point in Long Island and traveled East to Nassau and Queens, then went north up through NYC, White Plains, then up to Albany, then back eastward towards Utica, Rochester, and Buffalo, then spun back around and go north-westward through the Adirondacks until you hit Champlain, you'd think you were in a completely different State every time you crossed a city line.
>>
>>52567688
>No, you wouldn't

If people had better choices at that price point? You absolutely would. It's not the only issue, but it's a major part of it and theoretically one that could be addressed.
>>
>>52567810
Good god, this.
>>
>>52567573
Real food is cheap, you just have to avoid white people supermarkets. The issue for most poor Americans is time, because real food requires much more time to prep than just heating some canned beans/vegetables and cooking rice. Pretty much all the poor people I've talked to are working paycheck to paycheck on multiple jobs.

When you get charged $200 by a traffic camera posted in your neighborhood that wants you to make a double stop on a curbside red light right turn, then your hard-earned savings go straight down the drain. My ticket eventually got refunded 4 years later after the law was struck down as unconstitutional, but in those neighborhoods the overzealous cops will probably pull you over for some other bullshit like not making a full stop at a stopsign or driving 1 MPH over the 30 MPH speed limit (on a street that easily should be 40-45 MPH).
>>
>>52567821
You really, really should read up on the poverty and processed food relationship.

Price is only a tiny piece of the larger issue, especially since when you actually do the math processed food is, in reality, ALREADY NOT CHEAPER THAN FRESH FOODS.

Convenience, perishability, and the illusion that processed food is in any way cheaper (when in reality it's not) created by supermarket marketing play a FAR larger factor than the price point.
>>
>>52567853
Farmer's markets are the fucking shit, this is beyond contestation.
>>
>>52567866
What matters is how much you pay at the register. For that, processed food does tend to be cheaper. Which is also PART OF convenience.
>>
>>52565970
I'd rather america just stop existing, desu. Better than having them jerk off over our TV shows and then turn around and bash our culture and cuisine.
>>
>>52567887
No, you're still wrong, even when you try redefining the already implied context of convenience.
>>
>>52567892
>and cuisine.

Y'know, honestly? I don't think this happens that much with the exception of particularly unusual types of food that don't feature familiar ingredients. Most people here hold up foreign cuisines as something extra special. Leastways in my experience.
>>
>>52567908

Think that poster is British. In which case British food is fine, but rather unremarkable
>>
>>52567901
>No, you're still wrong

Then why do I always see the processed shit at the local stores costing a lot less than the stuff worth eating? I can only talk about the shit I see with my own eyes, senpai.

Maybe I should head out to the boonies and track down a country market or something.
>>
>>52567810
>>52567835
People from other big countries have no issue understanding this. You could do the same thing in China or India. Hell, Beijing alone has wildly different subcultures within its 7 looping highways, and that's before you discover it's part of the Jingjinji supercluster (which has 9 cities, 8 of which are larger than LA and 4 larger than NYC).
>>
>>52567927
>You could do the same thing in China

No matter how much the government wants you to forget anybody but Han live there...
>>
>>52567935

Even Han Chinese have numerous regional subcultures, I would imagine.
>>
>>52567927
>People from other big countries have no issue understanding this
People from other big countries have no issue understanding this about their own country, but I've never met someone from China or India that could comprehend this was also a thing in America.

They earnestly believe that their countries are rich and varied but America couldn't possibly be.
>>
>>52567946
Fair.
>>
>>52567924
Not the same anon, but seriously go to an Asian/Latino supermarket for groceries. I can usually get green onions for 1/3~1/2 the price and they are much fresher and much less waxed. Farmers markets are also excellent alternatives. Standard white supermarkets are for retard consumers who can't be bothered to glance at the market for alternatives.
>>
>>52567946
China "han" are way more diverse than people think, even after years of gomunism trying to destroy the culture (specially regional).
>>
>>52566519
>Your college system is a complete joke and is basically just an extension of high school
This meme needs to fucking die. American colleges are consistently the best in the world. 8 of the top 10. And you need to keep going pretty far down the list before you find more than a handful that aren't American. This is why there are so many foreigners coming to our colleges but very few Americans going to foreign colleges. Because if you're American, unless you're going to one of the best universities in another country you're probably going to be better of going to a state school.
>>
>>52567924
>Then why do I always see the processed shit at the local stores costing a lot less than the stuff worth eating?
Because you failed to do the math so you fell for the aforementioned marketing illusion that frozen meals are any cheaper oz for oz, ingredient for ingredient.

Compare a weeks worth of frozen meals cost to a week's worth of the same ingredients, in the same proportions.
>>
File: t-mcdonalds-grand-mac_courtesy.png (502KB, 745x578px) Image search: [Google]
t-mcdonalds-grand-mac_courtesy.png
502KB, 745x578px
American McDonalds recently got the Grand Mac, an upsized Big Mac with 1/3 a pound of beef. I am so jealous of the their delicious McDonalds restaurants with large, juicy burgers topped with their exclusive Big Mac sauce at a low low price.
>>
>>52567949

Everyone acts this way, to some degree. Intellectually I may know that China isn't a homogeneous mass of same-faced Asian clones, but on a pratical level in my day to day life, I don't really need to know much about China beyond its general, basic cultural traits.
>>
I've got a friend from Norway who mentioned once after a trip over here that one thing that weirded him out about America was how *new* a lot of the buildings in the cities were. How there was relatively few things that had a properly timeworn look.
>>
>>52567978
Japan had the Grad Mac months prior to the American promotion, and even had the monstrosity known as the Giga Mac alongside it.

My local japdonalds even has the Mega Mac, which is a normal big mac but with four patties, as part of their regular menu.

Japanese McDonalds has America beat by a mile, every month is a new promotion of wildly different stuff that's actually GOOD. It's kind of amazing.
>>
>>52567978
Jee-zus. Y'know, when I do eat fast food I've never actually cared for the multi-decker oversized burgers. Always preferred the regular ol' singles.
>>
>>52567946
Han Chinese is pretty much equivalent to saying "white/European" in the US. There are very strong, engrained stereotypes of Northern Chinese vs Southern Chinese that actually carry a lot of truth behind them, yet both are considered Han Chinese. Honestly the designation is a misnomer; it literally means all people who claim to be descendants of the Han dynasty heritage. If you said the same thing about "Roman" then you can see how stupidly diverse that population could be.

>>52567949
It's usually because America is so much smaller in comparison. I've met plenty that thought otherwise, but then again you can say the same about Americans (many will think big countries elsewhere are homogenous, and many will think otherwise).
>>
>>52567935
This is another bullshit meme. Their flag literally has stars to represent the 5 big ethnic groups despite the fact Han make up 95% of the population (though they do get the biggest star)

I am so sick of ignorant people trying to act like they are experts on other countries when they don't know shit about dick
>>
>>52567999
>gigamac
Tell me more, oh blessed japanon.
>>
>>52566209
NY style cities in the north and Texas style ranchs in the south
>>
>>52568010
>This is another bullshit meme

Right, so how many languages are recognized in China as official besides Mandarin again?
>>
>>52568022

Mandarin was designed to be a national language, though. It developed from the speech of the ruling classing of the Ming Dynasty.

And non-Mandarin speakers such as the Cantonese are still ethnically Han (some of them, anyway)
>>
>>52567999
Non-American fast food chains tend to be really awesome. Pizza Hut in China is a $30-100 sit down restaurant with multiple courses and an informal dress code. KFC has a menu about x5 the size of the US one. McDonalds fucking delivers your food within 5 seconds of ordering it - you don't even get a chance to count your change before you get your food.
>>
>>52568022
Apparently the British government is trying to trick us into believing that only English people live there because English is their only official language too.
>>
>>52568022
The languages on the currency. Uighur, Tibetan, Mongolian, and Zhuang.
>>
>>52568031
Yeah, but still, you've got a lot of other ethnic tongues in China that are kind of slowly losing native speakers.
>>
>>52568062
And the British government is racist because all the (native) non English languages are losing speakers!
>>
File: giga-bigmac.jpg (51KB, 835x429px) Image search: [Google]
giga-bigmac.jpg
51KB, 835x429px
>>52568013
So you know how the Grand Mac is an upsized Big Mac?

Well upsize it again, by about the same percentage.

And don't just stop there, give it four beef patties IN ADDITION.

I ate one one day, it was a saturday, I decided to have it for lunch because the promotion was so limited that each McD's restaurant was actually limited to the number of Giga Mac burgers they could sell per day. Like not limited per person, no no, but limited in the number of Giga Macs they would sell, in total, per day. So I wanted to get there early to actually get one and so I could spend the rest of the day burning off the calories.

Now I've eaten bigger burgers in my lifetime. Huge monsters with a pound or more of beef on them before adding in toppings and the bun. But this was so heavy on my stomach that I honestly felt full for the rest of the day. I needed a nap after eating it, I was pouring with sweat that reeked of grease and special sauce by the time I had finished it. I legitimately didn't eat anything else until Sunday morning because I just felt that continually full.

It was amazing, anon. Just absolutely magical.
>>
>>52568056
>The languages on the currency. Uighur, Tibetan, Mongolian, and Zhuang.

None of those are counted as official though; they're just sort of symbols, like the stars on the PRC flag. Mandarin is pretty much it except for Hong Kong (Cantonese also official) and Macau (Cantonese and Portuguese also official)
>>
>>52568062

Same happens all over the world. Regional languages and cultures die out in favor of dominant ones. Dozens if not hundreds of native languages have gone extinct in America in the last hundred years or so.
>>
>>52568082
>Dozens if not hundreds of native languages have gone extinct in America in the last hundred years or so.

Yeah, and tu quoque aside, it's equally terrible that it's happening in China right now.
>>
>>52568081
Holy shit, dude. Just admit you're wrong as refrain from acting like an expert on topics that you know nothing about in the future
>>
>>52568081
English is also official in Hong Kong.
>>
>>52568095

I'm not arguing whether its good or bad. Just how it is. Strong cultures live, weak cultures die. To attach values to fleeting things is silly
>>
>>52568095
>if I cite a fallacy maybe I won't look like a total fucking moron
>>
>>52568096
http://www.gov.cn/english/laws/2005-09/19/content_64906.htm
>>
>>52567990
If you want to see some old as fuck buildings head to a fort pr the country side
I have to say, its interestong seeing how other countries feel about america
I like it better when its not some guy's angerly waving their dicks around because their country got invaded that one time
>>
>>52568082
Except that you see in some country counter reaction from the regions that want to conserve the particularity.
Don't know if it really works among the youngs though.
>>
>>52568109
>you did a bad thing, therefore you can't comment on bad things other people do because...well you just can't

>>52568103
Well, if that's what you believe. It just bugs me. Bugs me about America, bugs me about China.
>>
>>52567999
Im not sure if i should be disgusted or jealous
>>
>>52568116

There are plenty of old Native American elders who want to maintain their indigenous languages alongside English, but young people often aren't interested.

Which is kind of my point. If your own children aren't even interested in your language or culture, hiw worthwhile can it really be?
>>
>>52568128
Both. Both is perfectly acceptable.
>>
>>52568081
They're officially supported where applicable (in their respective regions and on official documentation). Of course Mandarin is the main, official language, largely because the capitol was moved to Beijing/Yanjing a long time ago. That's the whole point behind Chinese standardization - the capitol/center of power calls the shots. It's also why Lu cuisine became so dominant.
>>
>>52568112
Did you even read it? Because if you'd even bothered to read the first two sections you would have noticed that they a) acknowledge other nations of people inside of China and b) acknowledge that the reason for this is to standardize a specific type of Chinese language and even a specific dialect of Mandarin for ease of communication
>>
>>52568123
>Well, if that's what you believe. It just bugs me. Bugs me about America, bugs me about China.

Then go out, and study / help conserve those languages.

Oh, it doesn't bug you enough? Well, it didn't bug those whose languages they originally were either. So they stopped using it.
>>
>>52568138
>They're officially supported where applicable (in their respective regions and on official documentation).

Been moves recently to phase them out in favor of Mandarin, though. Haven't been especially successful.

I think most state-funded education centers also have to do all their teaching in Mandarin, too?
>>
>>52568123
That's not what anyone said. They were just pointing out that it's happened before all over the place and it's not a big deal.
>>
>>52568148
>Then go out, and study / help conserve those languages.

I do, honestly, I love linguistics in general.
>>
>>52568170
Fair I suppose, I'm just really used to a lot of whataboutism when it comes to pointing out flaws in the PRC.

>>52568144
>for ease of communication

ahahahahahahaha
>>
File: chinese_clothing.jpg (990KB, 900x3720px) Image search: [Google]
chinese_clothing.jpg
990KB, 900x3720px
>>52568103
>>52568123
Okay let me address this by pointing you to Chinese clothing through the ages. Unlike isolated cultures that weren't influential, Chinese culture was always in flux. It was the trendsetter. And with that, everyone understood that as trends are, they come and go. Sure your thing may be alive and well for the next 400 years, but there's absolutely no guarantee that it will hold out for eternity. In fact, it would be absurd to assume that any given cultural artifact would last. That's why "Chinese clothing" is such a vacuous statement - no one knows what you're actually talking about, since everything has a distinct lifespan. The same thing holds true for languages and cultures within China.

Middle Chinese is not intelligible today. Ancient Chinese wasn't even a tonal language. Yet no one is crying over these because they weren't worth preserving. The only thing that really matters is the written language, because we wanted to record shit so that we could be remembered. And so far it's worked out quite nicely, even though the bone script was certainly pronounced without tones.

If it survives, it's worthwhile. If it doesn't, then it's just a fad, a trend that's meant to die out.
>>
>>52568182
>Maybe if I ignore his point and post ahahahaha then it will look like I'm not some belligerent little shit who pretends to be an expert on China and got called out on the fact that I'm dumb as shit

And I know that you're going to make some snide comment about how Mandarin is a pretty difficult language to communicate with even for natives. But it's obviously easier for two people who speak the Beijing dialect of Mandarin to communicate than for two people who speak two totally different languages
>>
>>52568205
>That's why "Chinese clothing" is such a vacuous statement

Well, I am aware that the qipao is actually a modification of Manchu clothing rather than natively Chinese, at least.
>>
>>52568213
>And I know that you're going to make some snide comment about how Mandarin is a pretty difficult language to communicate with even for natives

Oh, it's not that. (Honestly I think Mandarin's reputation for being a really difficult language is actually kind of overblown...maybe because I've studied Navajo a bit.) It's just that I'm really skeptical of that motive in general.
>>
>>52568156
Never forget that the merit exams for the bureaucracy are closely tied to the pursuit of education. That part of the culture is pretty fixed and has survived for at least 2 millenia because it's crucial for producing less stupid people. Since the bureaucracy uses Mandarin, people are encouraged to learn Mandarin and teachers/principals make adjustments accordingly.

If the local area is predominantly another language, they will also teach in that other language. However a teacher knows that if a student only knows that language, then they will be crippled when they search for jobs. Ergo Mandarin is also taught and encouraged.

>>52568172
These things get recorded. That's why we know how each dynasty's clothing looked, because there are imperial records on exactly what styles were popular and when (as well as how to make those clothes from a general standpoint). Written language is recorded, but the verbal components are hard to capture. It's highly likely that with audio recordings these days those languages will be recorded, but not passed down through schooling. It'll be a thing of the past.
>>
When did it get so mgsv in here?
>>
>>52568257
Fuck if I know, but I'm enjoying myself.
>>
>>52568213
The Beijing dialect isn't taught as the standard Mandarin. Native Beijingers have a distinct accent that sounds sort of like the stereotypical New Yorkan accent to "neutral" American English. Likewise there is a neutral Mandarin that you'll find in everywhere but Beijing.
>>
>>52568264
American English has its own version of that: "Newscaster English".
>>
>>52565970
I remember thinking that Red Heat was a kickass comedy when I was a kid. Then I grew up and realised that it was conceptualised as a serious movie.
>>
>>52568236
Then you're a fucking idiot. Of course they want to make communication easier. This is especially important in China where even local dialects of Mandarin can be difficult to understand. Ask an actual Chinese person about the Shanghai dialect.

Of course, you're probably some kid who's never been to China and thinks the Dalai Lama is so wise and enlightened.
>>
You know, it's one thing to be American and traveling abroad but another thing to be a nig nog and doing that shit.

I didn't run into any issues when I went to Canada but I'm hesitant on going out of the country proper now mainly because I'm mafraid I'll get mistaken for a middle easterner or from Africa and have someone try to deal with me or some shit.

I mean, talk about sticking out like a god damn sore thumb in Romania when your liberty party consist of all white people and one black dude.
>>
>>52568264
Maybe. It's been a long time since I spent that year in China. I don't really remember the language anymore. But according to that document that was posted they were trying to make the Beijing dialect the standard.
>>
>>52568277
Tourist aren't treated like locals to begin with. More often, they are better treated since they won't stay and still spend money.

USa seems less safe for you.
>>
>>52568277
Dude, no way. We all know that racism only exists in America
>>
>>52568276
>Of course, you're probably some kid who's never been to China and thinks the Dalai Lama is so wise and enlightened.

And you're probably somebody who's been to China but never left the tourist plazas, actually thinks he's a literal Nazi and that Lhasa really is the happiest city in China right now like the CCP newspapers say it is.
>>
>>52567573
>because you have a bunch of old baby boomers

That issue is a lot older, to be frank. Goes at least all the way back to the point where they had a war over whether to allow blacks in the western colonies or not and who was going to pay for the slave industry in the future.
>>
>>52567810
This is what the Jew Yorkers actually think. There's NYC and there's upstate, and the latter isn't so different from the other states that surround it.
>>
>>52568309
Yeah. The rich wanting to fuck over the poor in this country is a thing as old as America herself. Look up the truck system sometime; that shit was horrific.
>>
>>52568290
That would be retarded and no one in the bureaucracy would take it seriously. The Beijing accent is specific to Beijing and not even Beijingers really want others to use it. There are a lot of cultural phrases that are only used in Beijing and proper use of it tips off any Beijinger that you're a local. Most other people in China laugh at the accent and think it silly, namely how Beijingers seemingly attach "-er" to the end of everything. Sort of like how people make fun of the New Yorkan or Southerner accents.

If they're referring to the "Newscaster Mandarin" then that has been a thing since at least 20 years ago, which is the first time I visited.
>>
>>52568275
>Then I grew up and realised that it was conceptualised as a serious movie.

Wait what.

For real?
>>
>>52567316
Do you have any pictures or videos?
>>
>>52568308
Why the fuck do you think that a Nazi would support the CCP? And I can assure you that there weren't a whole lot of tourist plazas in Jimo.

I never said that the CCP doesn't lie. They're far from perfect and I really don't like Xi Jinping. But at least they have a meritocratic government, none of them owned slaves, and they don't speak in platitudes.
>>
>>52568332
As serious as an 80's action movie can be, anyway
>>
>>52568365
>Why the fuck do you think that a Nazi would support the CCP?

Because a Chinese state newspaper actually described the Dalai Lama as a "profaning, Nazi-loving Muslim dictator" at one point. Not even fucking kidding.
>>
>>52568365
>But at least they have a meritocratic government

Sure, if the "merit" involved is knowing who to bribe and when. Which isn't much different from America, yeah, but still, Chinese attempts to claim meritocracy are similarly hilarious.
>>
>>52568375
Are you sure he isn't, in fact, Nazi loving? There's no stigma connected to Nazi appreciation in Asia.
>>
>>52568385
>The swatiska is buddist symbol.
All is clear now.
>>
>>52568375
In 2002 the Tibetan government in exile gave the "Light in Truth" award to an SS sargeant
>>
>>52567510
Really? Why?
>>
>>52568385
>There's no stigma connected to Nazi appreciation in Asia.

It was in an English-language article meant for overseas dissemination, IIRC. Though even barring that, the entirety of that statement is so obviously hostile that it really doesn't matter.
>>
>>52568383
More meritocratic than a literal feudal state where a magical process figures out which kid a dead guy is inside of
>>
>>52567935
Oh no a government looks out for the ethnicity that runs it. Must be nice.
>>
>>52568412
Apparently it has something to do with Gibraltar. Not sure otherwise.

>>52568407
>turn a symbol 45 degrees
>ruin it forever

I feel bad for Buddhists sometimes.
>>
>>52568422
>More meritocratic than a literal feudal state where a magical process figures out which kid a dead guy is inside of

Oh funnily enough, China actually passed a law banning reincarnation without the consent of the Communist Party. It's meant to allow China to name the Dalai Lama's successor, but it's still pretty funny.
>>
>>52568416
Considering how much Tibetans hate Muslims it was probably a mistranslation.
>>
>>52567990
Unlike what cape comics teach you, in reality they actually regularily destroy and replace older buildings as part of real estate development projects. It's a huge hassle for historians as that means that whole classes of historic building types get razed in one go.
>>
>>52568375
That's a vast oversimplification of the government's situation which completely glosses over the fact that there's some striking disagreements within the ranks as to how to treat the Dalai Lama. The current situation benefits the hardliners because Free Tibet can't shut their traps long enough for the liberally-minded ones to allow his return.

>>52568383
Knowing who to bribe and when is important because people will be bribing you at inopportune times when you're high up in power. However, bribes don't make for very good governance and you won't ascend the ranks without proven good governance across increasingly larger populations. That's the merit part.

America doesn't vet its presidential candidates with requirements like "has to be a governor for at least 5 years and mayor for at least 5 years." It used to have candidates like that but we went full retard a while back because muh relatability.
>>
>>52567853
This so much. Cooking real food takes time and a surprising amount of energy. Even if you're making good money, when you get back home at 7:00 exhausted and hungry you are not cooking.
>>
>>52568434
Conceded there; wouldn't be the first time that's happened.
>>
>>52567999
Yeah, their native offerings are pretty good.
>>
>>52568431
That is actually funny.
>>
>>52568442
>However, bribes don't make for very good governance and you won't ascend the ranks without proven good governance across increasingly larger populations

That's not really true though; there's a lot of people who have risen *really high* in the government just by brown-nosing to the man of the hour (currently Xi) or those around him.

Doesn't hurt that the people who DON'T brown-nose tend to suddenly find themselves undergoing "corruption investigations" and purged.
>>
>>52567965
Mostly true but foreign student applications are going down. The price is just too high for most of us.
>>
>>52568431
Oh, they codified the role that the Qing dynasty had formalized with the Dalai and Panchen Lamas? Okay. It's been a thing for 400 years, I guess it's about time they put it down on paper that isn't just the 24 Histories.
>>
>>52568442
>Knowing who to bribe and when is important because people will be bribing you at inopportune times when you're high up in power. However, bribes don't make for very good governance and you won't ascend the ranks without proven good governance across increasingly larger populations. That's the merit part.
>America doesn't vet its presidential candidates with requirements like "has to be a governor for at least 5 years and mayor for at least 5 years." It used to have candidates like that but we went full retard a while back because muh relatability.

There was never a requirement that presidents had to have previous experience in governence. It just so happened that they were picked among people who did.

That said, it's still fucking embarassing that people root and cheer for a fucking reality tv star and wish desperately to suck his micro dick but that's America for you.
>>
>>52568468
It's just not something you expect to see passed by a *modern* government. Particularly one that is supposedly officially atheist.
>>
>>52567999
God Japanese McDonalds is so nice it's actually kinda scary. Hong Kong McDonalds is similar. The efficiency is unreal.
>>
>>52568410
Brad Pitt was in the SS?

/s
>>
>>52568274
It's called Midwestern English, Jack. Most of us aren't newscasters.
>>
>>52568475
Atheist doesn't have to mean a-spiritual... I think.

But yeah, silly shit.
>>
>>52568488
Communist atheist should. Since all that isn't based on rationality is a poison against the people.
>>
>>52568465
They probably had better chances of rising higher by brown-nosing, but they also have to be competent or be able to have a bunch of competent, loyal people to do their work for them. Turns out that there are parties within the Communist Party! Personally I'm a fan of Xi because the Shanghai clique has been largely responsible for introducing the corruption and materialism that's plaguing the country today. Fuck Jiang Zeming. Also yes, get the goddamn factories out of Beijing and make it the political/education capitol as what befits the capitol of China.

>>52568469
To be part of the politburo you have to pass the various tiers of bureaucratic review, which gate you based off of the town/city/provincial/special provincial jurisdictions.

And yes, I can't believe our full retard went even more retard.

>>52568475
To clarify, it's a government function that basically is the original Tibetan Kingdom's way of acknowledging their tributary status. The religion is important to the Tibetans, but not the Chinese government; only the governmental power matters because Tibet has long been a theocracy of sorts.

Also "atheist" really just means "spiritual stuff is a-ok, just don't get fun family tales of fiction confused with real life." That's what Chinese spiritualism really means.
>>
>>52568469
At least he's not the same old corrupt jackasses we've been voting in for years. I'm no Trump nut, but at least he's something new.
Let's not discuss politics in /tg/, though.
>>
>>52568514
>Turns out that there are parties within the Communist Party!

Well, factions. At war with each other while trying to look as united as possible on the outside. Xi Jinping's "anti-corruption campaign" isn't really that; it's basically just a way for him to target and eliminate political enemies. His side isn't really any better than Ol' Toadman's side, they just have better PR and have their guy as the current rising star.

>Also yes, get the goddamn factories out of Beijing and make it the political/education capitol as what befits the capitol of China.

This I am absolutely in fucking agreement with you on, though. China is going to literally choke on its own waste if they don't fucking do something. There's barely any goddamn water left that isn't caked with more shit than the rural bathrooms are.
>>
>>52568277
If you think that's bad, try to go to nonwhite countries. It's a whole nother level.
>>
>>52568546
Dude, seriously. Shut the fuck up. It's really obvious that you don't know what you're talking about. Just agreeing with someone who does will not make you look smart.
>>
>>52568533

But that's the fault of the people who vote (or don't vote) the same assholes who do stupid shit are just doing what the people who voted for them want them to do and even then they probably vote for the same guy because it's literally all they know and care to know because it's too hard to look up anyone else.

It's a vicious circle really.
>>
>>52568569
>I know nothing about the situation besides what I read on state media and hearsay, I'd better tell this guy to shut up

Go on, son, what else do you think is true? Tell me how Falun Dafa is literally planning the downfall of the Chinese government or something.
>>
>>52568546
I have family who have worked decently high up in the government. Behind our closed doors, they've told me about how certain people in my grandparents' apartment complex have been nailed and that they've been taking gifts for a while. On the outside it's convenient to just call it a vindicative effort to eliminate enemies - that just lets him do more of it. Really, there is a lot of cleaning shop that is occurring as a result, and a lot of it has to do with the Shanghai clique's corrupt relations with businessmen of Shanghai/Jiang's remnants. So in a way it's both eliminating certain enemies whilst also getting rid of the stupid gift culture. Typical of Chinese politics...

The MEP is very highly prioritized and there is a lot of federal level investment and initiatives for remediation and protection. It's just that the corruption is counteracting a lot of that. Case in point - my uncle used to lead a division in the MEP and usually went to a province a week ahead to take his own water samples before actually meeting with the provincial people. Almost always they'd dump tons of freshwater into the river before taking the sample on-site, showing much cleaner water than normal. It just takes tactics like this to really bring light to the corruption.
>>
>>52568609
>Almost always they'd dump tons of freshwater into the river before taking the sample on-site, showing much cleaner water than normal. It just takes tactics like this to really bring light to the corruption.

That's amazing.
>>
>>52568589
I don't know where you get the idea that I read Chinese state media. I've probably read more Epoch Times than any official Chinese news.

Oh, it's probably because I had the nerve to call out your dumb bullshit
>>
>>52568625
>Oh, it's probably because I had the nerve to call out your dumb bullshit

No, it's because you seem to be buying into the official lines, otherwise I really don't think you'd be so fast to call it bullshit.
>>
>>52568609
>So in a way it's both eliminating certain enemies whilst also getting rid of the stupid gift culture. Typical of Chinese politics...

I don't deny that the program has taken down legit corrupt officials, certainly (I heard about them closing down those shops that government officials could use to sell gift bribes back for cash). It's just that so many of the people getting hit just happen to be on Zeming's side of things.
>>
>>52568620
Basically no one can ignore the giant dust clouds of fuck you and claim that the environment isn't top priority. However, no one actually wants to do the hard work except for people who are really invested in the job (usually the ones in MEP). So the national level keeps freaking out and making new initiatives that put almost every European country to shame in terms of renewables and sustainability, but then spend a million years getting accurate data and pulling out the weeds from within the lower levels of government. If someone at federal level were corrupt and didn't do their job... that's when you see stuff like the food agency director who took $500k in embezzled funds and got the death penalty. Otherwise the federal level would look like they tolerate that shit.

This is similarly why police have a shit reputation for corruption but the military is largely seen as really good, trustworthy people.
>>
>>52568679
>but the military is largely seen as really good, trustworthy people.

Mm-hmm. Which I also find really funny in another way, but you can't deny that the PLA has also done its share of actually good work.
>>
>>52568653
You claimed that the Chinese government tried to pretend that non-Han Chinese don't exist when they are literally represented on the flag.

You tried to defend that objectively wrong statement by talking about official languages ignoring the fact that most nations only have one official language. You insanely believe that the Chinese government doesn't want its citizens to speak one language.

Now you're pretending to know about how much fresh water China has when you've clearly never been there and don't have any access to reliable figures for it because those numbers most likely don't really exist and if they do then they're not being released to the public.
>>
>>52568667
Both things are happening at once. Shanghai clique is Jiang's people and represent Shanghai as the central power. Princelings are Xi's people and represent Beijing as the central power. Yes, power is shifting from Shanghai to Beijing. Historically this is a good thing - almost every dynasty was strong only when the power/capitol was centrally located in the north. This is appropriate since the CPC is, classically speaking, the sole successful dynasty in which the uniter was from the South (remember the mantra - "north makes good leaders, south makes good soldiers").

But seriously the gift culture is at least suppressed right now. The situation more closely resembles US politics where lobbying is extremely limited in terms of what can be given as gifts. It's necessary because Chinese culture has gifting engrained in it - it's irresponsible to not bring a gift when visiting a friend and that's where the corruption really lays its roots.

You can't have responsible, transparent government with gift culture being encouraged.
>>
>>52568693
>You claimed that the Chinese government tried to pretend that non-Han Chinese don't exist when they are literally represented on the flag.

It's a process, man. They're represented NOW because they can't NOT be. I believe that in the future this will no longer be the case.

>You tried to defend that objectively wrong statement by talking about official languages ignoring the fact that most nations only have one official language. You insanely believe that the Chinese government doesn't want its citizens to speak one language.

Wrong. I believe very much that the Chinese government wants its citizens to eventually all speak one language. It's the *motive* for that I find dubious. I believe "ease of communication" is a happy side effect and that the real purpose is a slow process of Sinicization of China's other ethnic groups.

>Now you're pretending to know about how much fresh water China has when you've clearly never been there and don't have any access to reliable figures for it because those numbers most likely don't really exist and if they do then they're not being released to the public.

Buddy I have seen the pictures of the fucking rivers damn near disappearing and the easily-accessible aquifers starting to run down. There's a serious water crisis in China right now. Has been for a few years.
>>
File: Das Reich2.jpg (238KB, 1500x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Das Reich2.jpg
238KB, 1500x1024px
>>52568424
>turn a symbol 45 degrees
>ruin it forever

The Swastika as used by the third reich was taken from ancient germanic culture, at the time it was believed to be a symbol meaning power.
>>
>>52568743
Didn't they also originally represent it vertically, though?
>>
>>52568752
There are examples of it being represented vertically and tilted, its not like there was a system that formally outlawed tilted swastikas in Iron age europe.
>>
>>52568713
It's really interesting to think of the CPC as the current dynasty and look at it from that sort of perspective.
>>
>>52568726
Your first two arguments are literally conspiracy theories without a single piece of concrete evidence.

Your last argument is sooooooo bad. I could post pictures of rivers in California from 2015 as evidence that America is facing a water crisis. And I'm not saying that China won't have water problems in the future. I would be genuinely shocked if they didn't have them in the next few years. But your evidence is really, really bad. So even when you're right you still look like a retard.
>>
>>52567616
Buying vegetables and cooking a bit is really cheaper than processed food tho. You can buy bags of carrots or potatoes for dirt cheap.
>>
>>52568773
>Your first two arguments are literally conspiracy theories without a single piece of concrete evidence.

I base it mainly on consistency in past behavior of the PRC with regard to cultures not its own...including past versions of its own culture, actually. It hasn't come to pass yet, no...but it's really really easy to see this happening in the future.

>Your last argument is sooooooo bad. I could post pictures of rivers in California from 2015 as evidence that America is facing a water crisis. And I'm not saying that China won't have water problems in the future. I would be genuinely shocked if they didn't have them in the next few years. But your evidence is really, really bad. So even when you're right you still look like a retard.

I don't like to say "Google it" and leave it at that, but you actually can find out a lot more about it that way. There's tons of articles about the water crisis out there. Honest injun.
>>
>>52568726
Remember, the identity of China is always in flux. Sinicization doesn't really mean the same thing as ethnic cleansing because the Han identity also mutates. If the cultural mixing happens and the output looks different from what the original Han identity was, then so be it - that's what it takes for unity and centralization. I mean, for every Tibetan who's being swallowed up by Chinese culture, you also have every Mongolian who's actually glad China's keeping alive the Mongolian script, especially since Mongolia itself adopted Cyrillic as a result of Russian influence. The price of admission is to assume fluidity in identity and accept that things meant for the past can be recorded, but they must remain in the past.

The alternative is European cultural stagnation/preservation and we can see just how successful the EU is...

As for watersheds, it's actually a global problem. The Middle East is already exhausting all potable water sources. The West coast USA is in the same situation. China is in a similar crisis, but as you can see it really takes a global effort at this point.
>>
>>52567965

As an actual American who has been to said colleges, I can say you are full of shit. The American college system is some horrid monstrosity of academia that runs on an outdated structure from the 80s while likewise functioning as a biased soapbox for *ehem* mainstream political views in order to breed an entire class of people who only exist to work in low-end white collar jobs while insulting their fellow countrymen for being bigots without ever seeing said countryman in person.

They're political machines.
>>
>>52567588
South African here who's worked as both a lifeguard and a waiter. My experience is that British tourists are not that bad, but the thing is we seem to exclusively receive upper-middle class and above from the UK, so it could just be richer people being better behaved, although we are technically a former Brit colony and incredibly critical of our own country so our attitudes are probably similar. Australians are almost universally fantastic, they fit in very well here, except they don't seem to know how to deal with black people. Americans are divided about 50/50 between lovely, curious people and utterly insufferable cunts, with a good chance either way that they'll try to talk to you in broken Afrikaans (prounouncing "waar is die badkamer?" as "wa-ar is die bad-kay-mer?" instead of "var us dee budkarmer?") or speak English very slowly and loudly at you, despite the majority of white people in urban centers here being first language English speakers. Also Jesus Christ the memes about Americans not understanding good food are true in like 80% of cases, and they're insufferably smug in their assuredness that they aren't missing anything with their close-minded diets. I cannot tell you how many almost-burnt steaks I've had to take back because they're "still raw."
>>
File: AMERICA2.jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
AMERICA2.jpg
31KB, 480x360px
>>52566209
I checked how other nation's children see America.
IT'S FUCKING RADICAL
>>
File: IMG_1086.jpg (52KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1086.jpg
52KB, 384x288px
>>52568807
>>
>>52566209

You know, if other countries can't look up to America anymore, what country /can/ they look up to? Japan? Denmark? Quebec? There's got to be someone worthy of worship and striving for, even if it isn't us!
>>
File: MAGA MGS.jpg (20KB, 600x317px) Image search: [Google]
MAGA MGS.jpg
20KB, 600x317px
>>52568834
That's just Japan
>>
>>52567241
I literally draw power from eating processed food.
I will leave behind an UNROTTABLE corpse.
>>
>>52568824
Yep. I can tell that college has failed you.

Of course, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

And anyway, how could you ever learn anything at college when you clearly already know everything about China?
>>
>>52568838
Switzerland for the EU
>>
>>52568812
>Remember, the identity of China is always in flux. Sinicization doesn't really mean the same thing as ethnic cleansing because the Han identity also mutates. If the cultural mixing happens and the output looks different from what the original Han identity was, then so be it - that's what it takes for unity and centralization. I mean, for every Tibetan who's being swallowed up by Chinese culture, you also have every Mongolian who's actually glad China's keeping alive the Mongolian script, especially since Mongolia itself adopted Cyrillic as a result of Russian influence. The price of admission is to assume fluidity in identity and accept that things meant for the past can be recorded, but they must remain in the past.

I just hope, really hope that if that must happen, it comes about naturally and not by government decree.

>The alternative is European cultural stagnation/preservation and we can see just how successful the EU is...

I could make a quip here about it being the largest economy in the world, but I'm not overly fond of it either.

>As for watersheds, it's actually a global problem. The Middle East is already exhausting all potable water sources. The West coast USA is in the same situation. China is in a similar crisis, but as you can see it really takes a global effort at this point.

Quite so, but man shit needs to be done fast, in any case.
>>
>>52568838
Well, this could sorta explain the nationalist crisis going on. Everyone is trying to look up to... themselves.
>>
>>52567573
I don't know what you're talking about, we've been protesting the federal reserve since the moment it started existing. Although if you think the way to solve poverty is through more government regulation and "free" money I'm going to lmao at your life sempai.
>>
>>52567915
Most traditional british cuisine is meant to use fairly cheap ingredients to fill the working classes with enough calories to last the next workday.

And americans have their tastebuds nuked by HFCS being pumped into everything, so they say everything is bland when they can't pick up subtle flavour, and ignore texture completely.
Or are just misled by tourist traps. 'Famous london fis and chips' my ass; it's nowhere near the fucking sea, or anywhere that grows potatoes.
>>
File: Middle-Finger.gif (498KB, 254x250px) Image search: [Google]
Middle-Finger.gif
498KB, 254x250px
>>52568836
>>
>>52567965
Your college system is retarded because it is dramatically cheaper for your law students to study a full degree on South African law, in South Africa, and then take a year-long conversion course back in the US to make their degree applicable there. And it also takes a year less of their lives.
>>
>>52568770
Doesn't matter if it's legalism, Confucianism, Communism, or Democracy; it's all the same thing - governance.

Gift culture wasn't as big of a deal in the past as it is now because it was the Emperor's job to root out corruption, usually with demotions or executions. That alone gave his loyal subordinates excuses to act in a similar fashion. Remember that the first dynasty founded China off of Legalism (the idea that everyone under the sun, including the Emperor, was subject to the same laws and justice as even the lowliest peasant). With rule of the people, there isn't really that figurehead anymore that we can blame, so something else has to deal with gift culture.

Watch what Xi does, by the way, with historians. If he orders for the editing of the Qing annals, then he is saying in no uncertain terms that the CPC now thinks of itself as a successor dynasty and that it will take up the responsibility of being editor to the previous dynasty's records (as all have in the past). I honestly think this is his goal, given how he is relying on traditional Chinese values instead of western values of Communism or Democracy to inform his decisions. It's a return to the measured (perhaps scientific) Chinese governance of old and not the erratic, untested shit that comes out of the West.

I mean really, only 200 years of democracy as applied on a scale larger than city-states? That's not even the duration of a single dynasty! How the fuck are we supposed to know a democratic country will remain intact if the government fails? Hell, look at all the failed democracies in the world and tell me it's still a good idea for keeping a diverse civilization intact.
>>
>>52568882
>and ignore texture completely.

Not completely, though you're right about fucking HFCS. There's these really crappy cooked bell peppers that go on some things here and the texture is like you just got a chunk of snot in your mouth.
>>
>>52568829
>except they don't seem to know how to deal with black people
The average Australian has had a very limited exposure to black people. Until like the 70s or 80s we were a very insular and xenophobic society that viewed ourselves as western European.
The only black people we knew of were the Aboriginals, who we genocided and then sent the remainder to go and live in the middle of the desert.
We've got a growing African population, but initially they were predominantly seen as a refugee population and so the average middle-upper class Australian (the kind who can afford to travel to South Africa) really didn't have much to do with them. All we know about black people is learned from history, i.e. apartheid and civil rights movement. So when we encounter a "real" black person we're constantly afraid of appearing racist.
>>
>>52568882
I remember once I was short for time and just went to the nearest random pub to grab a bite, it was a dreadfully tacky place with fake Tudor beams lazily nailed onto perfectly smooth walls and MDF tables. I couldn't care less about the decorations, though, I was there for the food. But then, an American family burst into the pub with phones in their hands and one of them said: "Wow, look, this is a really traditional British pub!" I had trouble holding my drink in.
>>
>>52568912
>I honestly think this is his goal, given how he is relying on traditional Chinese values instead of western values of Communism or Democracy to inform his decisions

I'm a bit less certain of his motives, but I thank you for the welll-reasoned argument.

>I mean really, only 200 years of democracy as applied on a scale larger than city-states? That's not even the duration of a single dynasty! How the fuck are we supposed to know a democratic country will remain intact if the government fails? Hell, look at all the failed democracies in the world and tell me it's still a good idea for keeping a diverse civilization intact.

Mmm, I could really counter that if you measure any system currently in use now by how many failed states ended up using it, you'd basically scrap every last system in existence.
>>
When I went to the US everyone was happy to learn more about my country.
For example, I remember eating at Wendy's when a shy employee approached me to talk about accent.
Naturally, most people would refer to the Nazis at one point in the conversation but their input was never intended to be offensive. Aside from beer, cars and oktoberfest it's a popular stereo-type and they just want to talk about it.
I felt very welcome in the US and never encountered a case of xenophobia. I believe that Americans are very open-minded and curious about other cultures.
>>
>>52569003
Whereabouts in America did you go?
>>
>>52568824
I went to one of those colleges. It's really to collect all the smart people together. If you see colleges from that bit of value, then name branding actually makes sense, which is why Chinese people care about it so much. They just want the network of smart people.

>>52568829
I can't talk sense into my fellow Americans over how blind they are to good food. The very existence of the term "foodie" shows how bad the situation is (as in, most people aren't "foodies" - people who care about trying new food).

>>52568838
Most developing nations are looking at China with more fondness than America, especially because these nations are the ones that were victims of imperialism and don't enjoy having the wealth injections that white people commonly forget about when they talk about good governance.

>>52568871
Government is natural. It comes about our desire to have communities. Accepting this is, as I see it, the difference between a collectivist and individualist mentality.

I could also make a quip about imperialism being a massive steroid, but I'm fond of a great many of their accomplishments using that wealth.

And of course, the US is in a great hurry to stop any of that shit from happening.
>>
>>52569009
Well I've been there on many occasions. I visited friends in Kentucky and Indiana and did business in Oregon
>>
>>52569003
>Wendy's when a shy employee approached me to talk about accent
This happened to me at some burger place.
The teenager behind the counter was giggling to herself the whole time and at the end of the transaction said to me, "sorry, I just really like your accent."
Mind you, I'm no catch. I'd been travelling through the US South and eating fried foods for a month at that point so I was fat and sweaty with a neckbeard. Never underestimate the power of the accent.
>>
>>52569014
>Accepting this is, as I see it, the difference between a collectivist and individualist mentality.

You're probably right about that, unfortunately, and I think that no matter what it's probably going to be a barrier. Though I do still believe there's a lot of more objective problems as well.
>>
>>52569034
Ahh, yeah. Those are pretty friendly places, and I think Indiana even has a fairly sizable German-American community (I know Ohio does).
>>
>>52569037
Most non-native English speakers adopt the American accent these days so US-Americans find it charming to hear actual authentic accents.
Personally, I have a very strong accent but I've met people my age who sounded just like an American. That said I believe that actual Americans can still tell the difference
>>
>>52569090
My accent is so shitty that I can recognise my countrymen even if they speak english.
It's absolutely horrible, yet internet keep telling me people find it cute.
>>
>>52568972
The Mandate of Heaven is a mechanism that forces the government to be responsible to the people. Seems to be an element of most modern governments. Tried and true.

Bureaucracies and recording shit also seems to work really well.

But fair enough. Maybe it's better to look at the opposite - only use systems that have been enduring. For that, I do not turn to Europe because holy shit nothing there endured past the standard dynastic cycle of 300~400 years, except maybe Rome but only if you consider Eastern Roman Empire to be the proper descendant. And no that HRE shit got pretty much nothing done.

>>52569034
>Midwest USA
We're really chill people, without the mandated kindness gestures that the South has. It's also one of the least international areas in the US.

The issue of xenophobia only arises when you try and become an American. At a minimum, people (whites and blacks alike) really keep bottling you in the "not-American" camp, primarily because exposure to anything not-American is way too fucking rare. Americans trend towards no-effort understandings of the world, with a notable (but small) minority actually bothering with more than minimal effort.

>>52569053
It's the difference between "government is a necessary evil" and "there is no single way to understand/employ government." The universal tenant of Chinese philosophy is probably the most important political construct right next to the Mandate of Heaven - no single philosophy can possibly encompass all problems in the universe. Contrast to the fundamental tenant of Western political science that government ought to be limited.
>>
>>52569037
I believe that depends on the accent in question. I was given rough looks by the police back when I wasn't good enough to hide my accent.
>>
>>52569161
KY is Southern though bra
>>
>>52566519
As a proud American, I can't really disagree with anything in this post.
Except maybe:
>but really more like 4 or 5 smaller ones
Like >>52567810 said, there are a lot more than that, even just by grouping similar states.
Number one misconception about America is that it's all the same.
Common misconceptions I've encountered and corrected:
All of New York State is not NYC.
The Rocky Mountains do not allow you to travel back in time to the old west.
Delaware exists.

And that's just from other Americans.

>>52567965
This post has been bullshit for over a decade.
How many campuses have you been to?
ForeignerAnon's view was pretty accurate of a large chunk of what I experienced.
>>
>>52569173
Sorta depends. Things get blurry around Cincinnati. I was born there and still can't quite see where the Midwest ends and where the South begins.
>>
>>52569161
>The issue of xenophobia only arises when you try and become an American. At a minimum, people (whites and blacks alike) really keep bottling you in the "not-American" camp, primarily because exposure to anything not-American is way too fucking rare. Americans trend towards no-effort understandings of the world, with a notable (but small) minority actually bothering with more than minimal effort.
That's a shame though. Does it happen all the time and to every foreigner regardless of their nationality?
>>
>>52569197
Yes. It's just simply that people aren't used to it because again, Americans are largely not worldly. We hardly study the history of any other nation in the world until university-level classes. There's also the language barrier and the fact that vacation time is super short so people don't get much of a chance to genuinely visit other places in the world.

You'd be hard pressed to find an American who can name 5 African countries.
>>
Chinese tourists are the worst.
I woke up late one morning and found a horde of Chinese just walking about my garden taking pictures.
I don't know how the fuck they got there, I'm not near any of the tourist areas.
>>
>>52569404
They can be quite rude yes. But they spend a lot.
When I visited Vatican, they always touched every sculptures they found.
Don't know if it's just me but that annoying and shouldn't be allowed.
>>
>>52566209
>Do you think they look up to us? Do you think they still want to go there?
I sure don't, but then again, I never wanted to go to America in the first place.

To me you seem like a bunch of uptight, trigger-happy fanatics (of various causes) obsessed with social standing and meaningless rituals. Your infrastructure is stuck in the early 80s, your culture is stuck in the 50s, and your government and justice system are the most corrupt outside of South Africa. You create global laws and then exempt yourselves from them, and your own police training essentially consists of getting a donut in one hand and a gun in the other. Your wild animals have leprosy, and your antivaxxers are bringing back diseases we used to think of as extinct. The only reason you qualify as a first world country is that no one wants to get nuked for saying otherwise.

The US is absolutely necessary from the perspective of global economic and political stability, but that doesn't mean anyone has to like you.
>>
>>52567284
This makes no sense to me. How fucked up is your economy that processed food is cheaper than just buying some spaghetti and boiling it?
>>
>>52569576
How hard is it to grasp that processed meat can be contaminated or have shady shit in it, while prime cuts straight from a butcher are more expensive?
machine separated meat is absolute garbage i wouldn't feed a cat with, contaminated with bone marrow and bone fragments, but that makes it much cheaper.
>>
>>52567367
>in my experience as a fellow australian, people seem to really like us as tourists
>I legitimately had people in poland react coldly towards me for speaking english until they found out I was australian.
They're getting colder about us though. Too many dickheads and quite frankly, they have a better idea about the realities of our politics than most of us do.
>>
>>52567965
>This is why there are so many foreigners coming to our colleges but very few Americans going to foreign colleges.
Seriously? You mob pay more for our Unis down under than we do, and think you're getting a bargain.
>>
>>52568882
London is only 20 miles from the sea and it used to be the busiest port in the world.
>>
>>52568041
>Pizza Hut in China is a $30-100 sit down restaurant with multiple courses and an informal dress code
Do you not have this type of pizza restaurant wherever you are? My experience, going from Australia to China, has been that Pizza Hut restaurants are far superior here. Their pizza dough (though I can only speak for Ningbo to Shanghai) always tasted a little more artificial, for one.

There was always something cheaper, tastier, and usually all-round better available in China. We found a Japanese all-you-can-eat buffet and beer place in one city, where they bring the food to you, and that was something like 120-150RMB per person. Otherwise there were usually German beer and steak places that did excellent food. (usually higher price range, too)

Pizza Hut couldn't compete unless all you wanted was a pizza / something foreign and greasy (or you were Chinese and had no concept of western food outside of China), and even then I usually preferred Papa Johns for what they offered.
>>
>>52569740
Not big on fishing though. Commerce, yes, but just having a big port doesn't necessarily mean there were fish all over the place.
>>
>>52566687
No, there's more money and opportunity in America if you're the kind of highly driven idiot who will do unpaid internships/casting couch for years while sharing a shitty apartment with 4 other people who are exactly like you, trying to get one over.

Think of the college varsity/pro sports situation, which is basically a lottery, even if you have insane natural talent and determination you could lose everything if you get injured at the wrong time. America is probably the greatest nation in the world if you're into that.

And besides, Commiefornia and Jew York have the same taxes as any European country and 3x the living expenses unless you live in London.
>>
>>52569740
Wasn't most of the fish imported from north England and Scotland by the time of Adam Smith ? I remember reading up on that.
>>
>>52569516
>your culture is stuck in the 50s
Where are you even from, Saturn? The entire world copies its culture from America. It's pretty much the golden standard for what is considered modern culture at any given point.
>>
>>52570122
>The entire world copies its culture from America.
wat
>>
>>52568838
>Quebec
>country
>>
>>52565970
>You ever think that the way Americans, especially American children, see other peoples cultures, makes them seem more interesting than they really are?

Wrong board, take it to /pol/ or /int/.

Also, this is how pretty much every culture views every other culture. Even if not especially the ones that view themselves as being cosmopolitan.
>>
>>52570138
It's true.
Poland just recently got sex and the city.
Korean culture is like american but even more consumption-based and hedonistic.
>>
>>52570190
But it's not "copying its culture", it's merely broadcasting foreign shit.

Because some of the shops in the US sell baguettes or pizza doesn't mean America is copying its culture from France or Italy.
>>
File: 1479714130474.jpg (118KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1479714130474.jpg
118KB, 900x900px
>>52570122
Yeah, (((modern culture))) which is basically synonymous with trash culture.

>>52570202
It's an American remake if you will. Like Ghost in the Taco Shell.
>>
>>52570202
To be fair they don't sell baguette, they sell horrible rip off that a french wouldn't even feed his dog.

Seriously though, I think Anon means that the whole world kinda follow (more and more but with resistance still) the western culture.
That western culture today is advertised by america (through shows, movie, books...) and it's not wrong today to say that they are the leading element of this phenomene.

In my country we talk abou "americanisation" of the world.
>>
>>52570202
I didn't mean just the shitty show "sex and the city" but all the values and ideas it represents.
Nowadays young kids also want to leave the moment they turn 18 and get fucked (literally too) in a Big City.
Women instead of wanting a family want quick lays and a "career"
>>
>>52570190
Reminder that all US music that matters a lick is African then.
>>
>>52570226
>they sell horrible rip off that a french wouldn't even feed his dog.
To be honest even in Belgium the baguettes are utter shit, I don't expect anything from americans.
>>
>>52570248
How do the French do it?
I went there a few months ago, and was like "surely it's just bread, how good can it be?"
But, fuck. That shit was magical.
>>
>>52570267
It's a secret.

Not being a cheap-ass faggot with the flour, not under-cooking it and not selling it 3 days after it's cooked

I usually prefer a good pain de seigle to a baguette, especially with cheese.
>>
>>52570267
No, it's just bread. Maybe you're just too used to "bread" made from soy and resin.
>>
>>52570300
>pain de seigle
You know what's a pain de arse? It's when fucking frogs use their expressions for no reason when perfectly fitting English ones exist.
>>
>>52570226
>In my country we talk abou "americanisation" of the world.

We do, but it pretty much exclusively comes down to people using fragments of US culture in ways that are wierd, outlandish and completely out of line with their original context and stick out like sore thumbs in their new one.

I mean other than in music and literature. Those being adapted and reworked is the most natural thing.
>>
>>52570321
Why are you so triggered ?
>>
File: 1489452333479.jpg (60KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1489452333479.jpg
60KB, 500x500px
>>52570321
>How dare people use their native language! Use mine!
>>
>>52566306
Civilization implies enduring for, at the very least, decades, as in, more than one.
>>
>>52570321
>using english words when talking about cuisine
no
>>
>>52570321
You know not even American or English cooks do this? Mise en place, sautee, etc.
>>
>>52570267
It's made by a baker, in a oven.
Also the salt in my opinion. I can't stand bread without salt.
And please dear God, NO sugar.
>>
>>52570321
>talking about french bread
>How could you dare using french word ?!!!!
>>
>>52570408
This also.
>>
>>52569610
>machine separated meat is absolute garbage i wouldn't feed a cat with
Oh. It didn't even occur to me that buying meat from a butcher is even possible for some people. To me, that's such a ridiculous luxury it doesn't even enter the equation.

Clearly I misunderstood what you meant by processed food in the first place.
>>
File: 1490978237231.jpg (133KB, 623x414px) Image search: [Google]
1490978237231.jpg
133KB, 623x414px
>>52568412
>>52568424

I'm fairly sure its the same with the Cubans and other south american nations. Its cheaper to fly down there, so its not exactly our best and brightest going over

in terms of tourists to coming to canada:
>Americans: its basically what everyone else here said. Either they talk about how everything here is somehow shittier or better than back down south depending on who they are
>Brits: most passive-aggressive fucks you will ever meet in your life. Can be so fucking dismissive of everything we do it can make me kinda regret we didn't go full murica
>French: 50/50 split between complete assholes who refuse to give you the time of day and roll their eyes when either speaking to you in english OR french or happy and upbeat people who love exploring
>other yuros: yes that's a deer. no they're not uncommon here. yes I have seen a bear and a pack of wolves in my lifetime. no you probably won't due to their reclusive nature. I then proceed to mock them behind their back for their weaksauce non-DEET bugsprays. Moskeets are gonna drain you dry nimrod; we didn't ban it for a reason
>Chinese: lots of money. travel around in huge packs of tour groups following those weird little flags. take selfies with fucking EVERYTHING. Weirdly obsessed with black people.Way too touchy with artworks and public monuments: once saw a group touching the fucking tomb of the unknown soldier in Ottawa in a ways that was CLEARLY not meant to be respectful gesture and more of a "ooh look at how shiny it is" sort of thing. Now that nearly set me off, pic very much related
>Indians: most of the time here to look for property or visit family. generally nice people
>Latin Americans: generally skewed young, but fun people to talk to and very open to discussing all sorts of things. Party way too much though
>Auzzies: goddammit you asshole I was gonna take that ski instructor job. otherwise fun guys, enough cultural ties that we can all get along.
>>
>>52570122
>The entire world copies its culture from America.
A lot of people, both Americans and foreigners, believe this, but what they're really copying is 1) popular culture, and 2) surface-level poor culture, since your brands distribute their China-made clothes for poor people across the world.

At the heart of it, though, we're quite different.
>>
File: everything looks the same.jpg (21KB, 427x427px) Image search: [Google]
everything looks the same.jpg
21KB, 427x427px
>>52565970

Yes. However that's more or less has been lessened by the power of cheap travel and internet.

Like a crush, people will make up all sorts of grand things about cultures but from a neutral point of view they're not too different.
>>
>>52570190
>Poland just recently got sex and the city.

People still watch that house-wife tier garbage?
>>
>>52570321

Hey, lay off the Frenchie, pal. They're the one of the few countries that still occasionally admires America, and that makes them a-okay in our book!
>>
>>52570619
I don't. A lot of chicks really enjoy it. or "How I met your mother", I don't even have cable tv, saw one episode and was surprised anyone can watch that garbage.
>>
>>52570552
>At the heart of it, though, we're quite different.

Depends on what country and history. Anywhere that is Western and copycat (i.e. China) will start to heavily resemble each other while retaining their own identities. Globalization somewhat catalyzed this.

I was in Shanghai not too long ago, and it's resemblance to major population hubs like Toronto, NYC, and San Francisco were noticeable, for better or worse.

That isn't to say it doesn't have it's own identity, but at the base it's quite similar.
>>
>>52570634
Accurate.
Half of us, especially the young see you as the best country ever for whatever reason.
The other half follows De Gaulle opinion and treat you as cancer.
>>
File: 1490931493843.jpg (72KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1490931493843.jpg
72KB, 640x640px
>>52570656
Just out of curiosity, how much of Poland is non-stop rural hubs and suburbs? Better (or worse) yet, how much of it resembles Ohio?
>>
>>52570321
>because English doesn't borrow from other languages
>>
>>52570688

>cancer

You're probably referring to Parisians specifically, and they seem like half because they're Paris, just like it seems like the majority of the US's opinion comes from California. I swear, SoCal acts like they're the whole of the United States far too often for my liking.

Whenever an American invokes a negative French stereotype, he is likely thinking of someone from Paris.
>>
>>52570720
That depends.
Most of the medium sized (for Polish scale) cities always have a forest/farm/park on the outskirts.
You get to see a lot of it when traveling by train.
>>
>>52570795
I meant that half of France treat USA as cancer.

But you're right that the bad french stereotype come from Paris.
Parisan tends to be asshole and busy. and you catch the trend quickly when you go there.
>>
>>52570720
>>52570827
>how much of it resembles Ohio?
Never been there, I was only in Califorina and in Vegas, but from what I've seen from picture and google maps the idea is very similar, thouht there's more cities between the rural areas/forests
>>
>>52570837
To be fair living in Paris is a step below living in hell. No wonder they are assholes.
>>
>>52570827
Neat, sounds like your average western civilization.

Anyhow, what I meant by resembling Ohio is that there's a lot of WASPs (dunno what Pole's equivalent are) who are painfully boring. Oh and judgmental, but I don't think I've ever dealt with a judgmental Pole here.
>>
File: btfo.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
btfo.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>52570355
Fuckin' LMAO
>>
>>52570903
>WASP
Protestants are rare here. Family is usually more important than religion and as long as you're not an average pride parade attendant people don't care.
Middle-aged people will rarely chat you up since they lived in the times when the "cool guy" talking to you on a bus could've been a Soviet snitch.
>>
>>52570688
The Americans kinda were in a race with De Gaulle about whether there'd be an independant France under his leadership or an US puppet regime. That Regime would have almost been guaranteed to be made up of Vichy-French Nazis.
>>
>>52569516
>Your infrastructure is stuck in the early 80s
True, sadly.

>your culture is stuck in the 50s
I wish.

>your government and justice system are the most corrupt outside of South Africa.
>laughinggirls.jpg
But seriously, no one is better/much better.

>You create global laws and then exempt yourselves from them
This is also true, it's great being the only country that matters.

>your own police training essentially consists of getting a donut in one hand and a gun in the other
A.) No it doesn't.
B.) You don't seem to understand how the police work over here. They don't fall under one, central authority, but under various state, county, and local authorities depending on the specific agency in question.

>Your wild animals have leprosy
wat

>your antivaxxers are bringing back diseases we used to think of as extinct
Europe has more antivaxxers and antiGMO folks than we do.

You sound supremely buttmad, what irrelevant country are you from?
>>
>>52571053
You could probably narrow it down to european country without visa-free movement.
>>
>>52571073
I was betting on a europoor, but I'm not sure which one.
>>
File: Eldar.jpg (85KB, 590x657px) Image search: [Google]
Eldar.jpg
85KB, 590x657px
>>52570960
Sounds like good people. Good neighbors make good fences.

>average pride parade attendant

Something tells me people don't appreciate "progressives".
>>
>>52569516
Spoken truly out of ignorance. The USA is ground zero for virulent, globalist leftism. We grow it here and export it to other countries via our organization. I couldt only dream that our culture was "stuck in the 50s", whatever that means. That it would be fairly normal and healthy instead of a freakshow?

Our cops have to deal with criminality only now being heard of in other Western Countries. Whenever you hear of some thug who dindunuffin getting shot, protip: he did do something.

Disease is going to come back thanks to antibiotic overuse, not anti-vaxxers, which are another negligible thing you've only ever heard of because of media stories.
>>
>>52571189
Not the other anon, but...

You're implying most normal people do. Hell, my pa showed me a song that fits for any of those things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg5ZcxBbYJY
>>
>>52571211
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with globalists? I get the liberal part, but what about conservative globalists?
>>
>>52571189
One city has a fag (obnoxious gay who made his sodomy the only character-defining trait) mayor, hated by everyone aside from the far left and "europeans", a polish-speaking insecure group that hates the country and everything about it.
>>
>>52571264
>what's wrong with slowly eroding national sovereignty in the name of profit
>>
>>52571264
The ability to get crab legs from Japan 30% cheaper at the cost of getting flooded with illiterate cesspool of Africa isn't worth it.
Free trade is great, uncontrolled flow of people isn't.
>>
>>52571264
The words liberal and conservative are so warped by misuse that its hard to say what one or the other even mean. We use liberal to mean a sort of libertine hedonist who also believes in open borders. We use conservative to mean an economic liberal who pays lip service to religious belief.

In the sense of American politics, a conservative globalist is a neo-con, like the Bush administration. Neocons are scum.
>>
>>52571264
Idea of an universal government is retarded because some races/ethnicities are simply incompatible with certain systems or you'd have to remove a significant part of their cultural/national identity to implement them.
Like democracy in Poland, Japan or Russia.

Democratic tradition of Poland boils down to nobility who lacked wealth selling their votes to foreign powers - "Szlachta Gołota" - literally "naked nobility"
>>
File: 1453500254384.jpg (772KB, 1045x3515px) Image search: [Google]
1453500254384.jpg
772KB, 1045x3515px
>>52571288
But I thought maritime trade was good. It brought Africa to speed (and they're painfully ungrateful about it) and Asian countries to trade partners. I don't see how national sovereignty is at risk now if this has been going for a long time now.

Is it giving up your identity for someone else's that makes it bad? I could see why there would be strong dislike for that.

>>52571290
Can't we just tell them to fuck off or only give them their educated? Or it isn't that simple?
>>
>>52571416
>It brought Africa to speed
No, it just gave them cellphones and better weapons.
>>
File: Jim McGreasy.jpg (61KB, 750x501px) Image search: [Google]
Jim McGreasy.jpg
61KB, 750x501px
>>52571266
Heh, sounds like NJ. Fuck I hate this place, I love the strong fertile land itself, and it's my home, but it's people... fuck.
>>
>>52567965
>hurr hurr muh best in da worl
While it gives the highest "quality" of education, it only costs far too many years of your life than is actually necessary and five to six fucking figures a year. You don't actually need to spend four years of your life getting a bachelor's in whatever, most of it is just padding like courses you actually don't need for your career yet still have to take (and pay for) anyway. The classes themselves are far too slow and sparse on actual knowledge that you can apply to whatever the subject matter is. A large amount of it is just mental masturbation.

There's also the fact that colleges have become breeding grounds for left-wing parasites that have never set foot outside of their suburban life or worked an honest-to-god job before entering college. The people that attend these place and can afford it are usually such, and the people who attend these places and can't usually go into massive debt becasue they've been force-fed the proverbial kool-aid their whole life and don't realize that you can live a comfortable life without a degree.

Faggot.
>>
>>52571416
Well, you can, but have to get rid of the left first.
>>
File: 1490110264342.jpg (19KB, 640x580px) Image search: [Google]
1490110264342.jpg
19KB, 640x580px
>>52571325
What's the difference between neocons and normal cons?

>>52571361
So globalism is just thinly veiled multiculturalism? Why can't people just plan on a global scale without having to give up who they are and keep be?

>universal government
Like one-world order?

>>52571448
It's slightly better (ok not really). My grandpa use to work as a medical missionary there. He worked with some intelligent Africans (whom for the most part left to Europe and America the moment they got the fucking chance).

Now the people he served... fuck, he said they're practically monkeys. They can't maintain the simplest of machinery, can't even maintain a well. Disease was blamed on witchcraft and the spirits being angry at you. Ffs some of them would sacrifice kids out some false belief that it'll fix shit.

Things are slightly better last I checked, but god damn, fucking tribals.
>>
>>52571502
>get rid of the left first

Oh how I wish that was so simple.
>>
>>52571498
>While it gives the highest "quality" of education
It doesn't even. Most rankings like the Shanghai ranking don't care for quality of education in the slightest.
>>
>>52571416

Leopold II pretty much torched his part of Africa's opinion on the west for good, and people from that region have migrated to the rest of Africa spreading their views.
>>
>dedicated /pol/ thread, replete with bitching about how the 50's, good for certain people, are now gone, complaints about the specter of "globalism and leftism", and my country is #1 others are shit jingoism
Sad thing is, a few years back, this would have been a calm debate about the pros and cons of many different sides.
>>
>>52571539
Multiculturalism doesn't work globally.
You either end up with canada where all the minorities just keep to themselves in the districts they created in an image of their native land or a brown-grey mess without any distinct culture.
Yes, currently globalism is a sneaky marketer telling you at how nice (which it is) it'd be to be able to buy shit from all over the world easily while omitting that he also wants to remove the borders and citizenship requirements for your country.
>>
>>52571539
Normal cons would be like Pat Buchanan, people that were largely pushed out by the neo cons.
>>
>>52571625
Ah yes, the /pol/ boogeyman.
>>
>>52571264

You know about how most of America's culture seems to be represented by what could more accurately be called Southern Californian culture? Imagine if all of the west, including Australia and Europe were defined by SoCal's culture as well, and than after that potentially the whole world. Imagine if their national identies were plucked and filed down, and then thrown into a blender to make this "new" culture that everyone can understand, even the most imbecilic Commiefornian or European anti-nationalist. Everything dumbed down to the lowest common denominator to make it accessable.

That is what multiculturalism is under the definition of people that fight against it, and it's likely why Russia is terrified of being associated with the west in spite of being an European country: they might have their culture eaten by the EU or Hollywood, or both.
>>
>>52571585
You say that as though years of violent colonialism and further exploitation afterwards had no part of it.
>>
>>52571625
And you can blame "progressives" for this. Call someone a nazi just because they don't 100% agree with every fucking tenet of your ideology and sooner or later, they're going to start embracing actual nazis or nazi ideals.

>Qin dynasty
>2 military commanders are late
>ask about punishment for tardiness
>it's death
>ask what the punishment for rebellion is
>its also death
>"Well, we're late, so..."
>Dazexiang Uprising
>>
>>52571677
"Dumbed down" isn't quite the right way of putting it. You don't think about culture that way, you are just part of it. Globalist "culture", rather, is just untamed consumerism where you are defined by the products you buy, carefully designed by corporation focus groups.
>>
>>52571676
>/pol/ boogeyman
Anon, this thread has literally become about global politics with a heavy pro-nationalist bend.
It is literally /pol/ subject matter by definition of what the board was created to for.
Next you'll say that Elder Scrolls isn't a /v/ subject because it has elves in it. Call a rose a rose, and if you don't being told what you are participating in, perhaps you should not?
>>
>>52571696
>killing and enslaving eachothere since the dawn of time
>colonialism made them violent guise
I'll agree it didn't help much though.
>>
>>52571740
>things that weren't said for 200, please?
Your goalpost moving is cute.
>>
>>52571737
The discussion has actually been pretty even-handed so far. People are actually debating stuff, which is pretty rare on this site. I don't know why you've had to invoke /pol/
>>
>>52571723
The punishment for a lot of things in China was execution, anon, even for what would be considered now minor infractions.
Exactly what point are you trying to make?
>>
>>52571762
>I don't understand what a goalposts move is
>>
>>52569252
Americunt reporting in. Off the top of my head, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Liberia, Nigeria, Uganda, Zaire/Congo, Zimbabwe/Rhodesia, Nambia, Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Morroco, Tunisia, and of course South Africa.

The real trick is to find Americans who can point them out on a map.
>>
>>52571696

Arguably worse than the colonialism and exploitation was leaving behind no instructions after the fact for the remaining government to follow up on leaving to rapid civil disorder.

The violence will occur no matter where you go, be it in your "native" land via revolution and civil wars or somewhere abroad. It's sudden, unplanned shifts of power that lead to continuous instability, as demonstarted best in the modern Middle East where nations that were previously functioning to a near First World standard like Syria and Iraq have fallen to dispair.

Even a "peaceful" attempt at uplifting a country has shown to lead to disaster because swift modernization leads to again, a rapid change of political relevancy among a given nation's classes.
>>
>>52571762
That's not goalpost moving, anon
>>
>>52571763
Not everything /pol/ is hurrhur shit, that's why.
But if you are having a dedicated political debate, that is /pol/ material, even if you don't like that fact.
The difference is that this thread isn't full of the asshattery you usually find in /pol/ threads, but /v/ can have good threads, too.
It doesn't make them less of a /v/ topic.
>>
>>52571779
That if you box someone in for tiny shit, that eventually you're going to get someone who says fuck it and goes all in? Did you really need that explained to you, you dense fuck?
>>
>>52571730
>>52571677
Imagine instead of Germany waging war with Russia you get People's Liberation Army of Adidas having a fight with Nike's Liberation Front
Humans NEED a broader identity, religious, national usually both.
Religion gives people principles, some of them better than the others depending on situation.
Removing national and religious identity will cause people to simply associate with brands, go on /v/ and check out a console war, you have Sonygger guerillas shitposting aggressively against Nintoddlers
Brands by themselves don't carry any meaning beyond the slogan like "Just do it" or "impossible is nothing".
>>
File: template.png (487KB, 600x657px) Image search: [Google]
template.png
487KB, 600x657px
>>52571677
So wait, no guns? Then they shall burn.

Also yeah, fuck multiculturalism. Wait... what about cultural assimilation? Ya know, where the defacto nationalist values stay but accept minor niches and nuthatches (like food and some language)?
>>
>>52567978
There's a chain called Wayback Burger near where I live that has a burger with NINE FUCKING PATTIES in it, with cheese between each one. They had a contest to see who could eat it the fastest and some crazy motherfucker ate the entire thing in under thirty seconds.
>>
>>52571782
>>52571798
>bring up an entirely unrelated topic in order to smokescreen a lack of intelligent response
No one was speaking of violence in Africa, it was a rebuttal to the assertion that Leopold was the hinge that swung African opinion about the west, to which I counter that it was many years of colonialism that led to, oh look, >>52571795 said it for me.
The end issue with colonialism in Africa was that it destroyed native leadership and disrupted the long time politics of the region irrevocably, leading to the successive string of strongmen and demoagogues that have characterized African leadership.
The same thing can be seen in the Middle East, which was radically changed due to colonialism and subsequent Western efforts to dictate the region by proxy.
Now the bad seed has grown to rotted wheat, and the same Western powers that planted it are receiving their due. It's why I find the entire situation a pity, but I have little sympathy for the West; they created the situation entirely of free will and greed, so why shed tears for people who committed evil, and now are having it visited upon them?
>>
>>52571823
It's nice to bring food, but it's inappropriate to not assimilate to the host nation's values if you're an immigrant.
>>
>>52571053
He's not wrong technically about the leprosy. Armadillos are carriers for it. A guy on /k/ down in Texas contracted it from one. Thankfully it's treatable with modern medicine.
>>
File: old -pol- versus new.png (92KB, 1056x869px) Image search: [Google]
old -pol- versus new.png
92KB, 1056x869px
>>52571808
Finding political discussion in /pol/ these days is like finding a needle in a shitstack since reddit moved in
>>
>>52571810
Considering it did in fact work for millenia in China (see the success of Cao Cao for example), you are talking entirely out of your ass.
The only time those rebellions happened was when the gov't was too weak and indolent to place the appropriate fear of retribution.
>>52571823
The people who complain about immigrants are also assuming that will never happen, anon, despite overwhelming evidence contrary.
You can look in America, with it's Chinatowns, Little Italys, Little Cuba/Haitis to see that assimilation does in fact happen, but it doesn't involve what they want: for the Arabs to abandon their ethnic heritage wholesale.
>>
>>52571907
>Armadillos are carriers for it.
That's crazy, I hadn't heard of it. And for some reason it seems hilarious that it's armadillos.
>>
>>52571943
Yeah, it's part of why they're considered pest animals and why you shouldn't touch or handle them.
>>
>>52571889
>so why shed tears for people who committed evil, and now are having it visited upon them?
Because its different people, you silly moo
Current westerners had no part in the colonisation of Africa, but for some reason they're still to blame for it and must suffer repercussions?
>>
>>52571920
Funnily enough, newfags coming in and acting like your pic is a good example of viewing culture through an outside perspective. People see screencaps or hear stories of 4chan and think this website is just like that all the time or composed entirely of people like that, so when they come over they do the same to try and fit in. We do the same thing to other websites too, by labeling autists as reddit/tumblr.
>>
>>52571940
Your autism is making you focus on the wrong aspect. Also:

>You can look in America, with it's Chinatowns, Little Italys, Little Cuba/Haitis to see that assimilation does in fact happen
>check out these great examples of assimilation
>small, insular communities that shun outsiders and discourage their own from leaving
>>
>>52571960
Clearly, since every Arab is responsible for the actions of other.
And let's not act like it was so long ago. Western powers still attempt to proxy control the Middle East to this day, and the worst excesses were committed by men your father and father's father age, many of whom still live.
When the repercussions of those acts still exist, as they clearly do in Africa for example, you are immune from justice because "It wasn't you"?
That obviously isn't good enough if you are Arab, or Persian, or Indian, or Pakistani.
>>
>>52572051
>you are immune from justice because "It wasn't you"?
>justice is when people who have fuckall to do with something must pay for it
>>
>>52572026
Those communities maintain their own cultural norms, but still nominally respect American traditions enough to not disrupt them.
They live and let live, and act according to >>52571189, good neighbors, good fences.
And since you mention it, that makes a compelling argument about the idea of assimilation to begin with. No one complains about Little Ireland, but people insist Arab refugees abandon all pretense of their homes, when generally, nationalities cluster together into neighborhoods.
Hell, nearby, there is some 6 square blocks of Syrians who speak their native dialect, have their own shops, medical centers, etc, and no one actually cares. Certainly they don't mind if people come to shop, converse with them.
>>
>>52572107

It's a bit odd that Arabs would be treated this way specifically when the US has actively attempted to educate its citizens (key word being "tried") that the people of Saudi Arabia are their close allies.
>>
>>52572051
>Clearly, since every Arab is responsible for the actions of other
What delicious projection

Also you seem to have a very warped view of what justice is.
>>
>>52572082
>the cruelties a nation commits can not have justice visited upon it by the nations it assaulted
And thus the Western idea of cowardice seethes.
I do believe this idea thrives so much because the people of Western nations have finally realized that the rest of the world is mad as fuck about what happened to their forefathers, and now have the will and weapons to do something about it, and now try to shield themselves behind this wall of blamelessness that no one else is buying.
Anon, no one actually cares that you in particular had nothing to do with it. What matters is the people are the nation, and when a nation strikes you, the people have struck you, and to strike back at the people is to strike back at the nation.
Not that long ago, the West worked on the exact same principles, and now have abandoned them only after it was done fucking over everyone else.
>>
>>52572107
>No one complains about Little Ireland, but people insist Arab refugees abandon all pretense of their homes, when generally, nationalities cluster together into neighborhoods.
The issue is that the Arab(and to a greater extent, the Muslim population) have values that run the antithesis of western values, the Irish do not. Couple that with the central Muslim believe that Islam should be spread, be it in the evangelical sense or by force, and it's no mystery why no fucking wants them.

>t. spent years living/working in the middle-east and Muslim majority areas in Asia
>>
>>52572144
>that the people of Saudi Arabia are their close allies.
Which is a huge fucking joke. Thanks petrodollar.

>>52572185
If that's how we're going to play it fine. I see no issue with simply killing literally everyone who opposes us then.
>>
>>52572144
Ask the Americans.
But seeing how they have treated their native Blacks, Hispanic, Chinese and Japanese immigrants over the years, it should not be surprising.
>>52572172
>What delicious projection
>Indian man is literally shot dead in a bar after being accused of being an Arab
>Majority of Western treatment of Arab immigrants
Your sense of justice is warped by your desire to hide from comeuppance that is finally on your doorstep.
>>
>>52572185
welp, time to invade England. Agincourt must be avenged! Those bastards have been getting away with it for centuries now!
>>
>>52572230
>Your sense of justice is warped by your desire to hide from comeuppance that is finally on your doorstep.
Then literally every action we take in the middle-east can be justified by the Barbary pirates.
>>
>>52572227
>I see no issue with simply killing literally everyone who opposes us then.
Then admit it, savage, and stop acting like you are vaguely human.
>>52572193
>the Irish do not
And the Chinese do not?
>Couple that with the central Muslim believe that Islam should be spread, be it in the evangelical sense or by force
You mean how Christianity was spread for years before it was common throughout the world and did not need to be spread further?
>by force
Ah, this Western myth, again.
>>
>>52572051
>Clearly, since every Arab is responsible for the actions of other.
But they aren't, if they were they should be killed in the open in the streets of France, Germany, England or Belgium.
>>
>>52572249
The English and French officially made peace over past aggressions at the conclusion of WWI, try again.
>>52572259
Who were wiped out as an organization long ago, and literally ceased to be.
You can't take vengeance on a group that was obliterated, it was already gained.
>>
>>52572270
>Then admit it, savage, and stop acting like you are vaguely human.
I am human, we all are. But I'm a person, you, your ilk, Muslims, Arabs, the Chinese, and Africans sure as sure aren't.

And it's not a myth brah, that's how Islam is has worked since it's inception and continues to do so.
>>
>>52572308
>Who were wiped out as an organization long ago, and literally ceased to be.
>You can't take vengeance on a group that was obliterated, it was already gained.
But I'm sure some sons and daughters escaped(not to mention that whole region benefited from the slave trade), so just to be on the safe side, we should hold that whole area subject. Us fucking around with then is just their comeuppence.
>>
>>52572185

No, the Middle East is angry at the West (and Russia) because they are turning their countries into a distabilized cesspool as we speak and have done so for the last 50 years and would much appreciate it if we just buggered off and left them alone for a few decades besides trade they would cool off. Less than a few decades ago, Iran's opinion on the US was actually very high on a non-government level. Why should they hold a grudge against people on a part of the world that doesn't affect them when the most pressing matter is that fanatic across the street and his family that does in a very immediate manner? And if the west is backing said fanatic? Well of course you're going to get a sour opinion of them, especially if they're hypocritically preaching about freedom and justice.
>>
>>52572270
Chinese cultures traditionally (thank the Great Leap Forward for a lot of stupid shit) values altruism and minding your own business depending on where they're from.

Arab culture, especially Saudis, preach the Koran and then proceed to act the opposite of what it says. This is more of a country tribal problem than a city problem (though that doesn't prevent 20-30 something losers from going radical). Also the Koran has verses that relative to the Bible would make most people uncomfortable (such as being beheaded for simply criticizing Mohammad).
>>
>>52572351
>Arab culture, especially Saudis, preach the Koran and then proceed to act the opposite of what it says.
I wish.
>>
>>52572339
At that point, you are advocating blood vengeance like a fool.
I know you are attempting to troll, but it's mildly pitiful you even are extending to that manner of absurdity.
>>52572309
>it's not a myth brah
>says the person extolling a myth created by the Catholic church
>>
>>52572348
>they are turning their countries into a distabilized cesspool

They were cesspools before the West got there and still were afterwards. Exception is Iran, because they flipped the US the bird and took oil rigs without paying for them.
>>
>>52572351
>>52572362
Actually, strike that, they do ignore parts of it in favor of some really shitty hadiths.
>>
>>52572362
Correction, the proceed to preach the good parts of Koran (modesty and altruism) and then proceed to go to a strip club.
>>
>>52572351
>relative to the Bible
I think we have read a different Bible, then, but it seems most people like to act as though the Old Testament doesn't exist when they try to prop arguments like this.
>>
>>52566209
Honestly?
>>
>>52572367
It's literally in the Quran and historical records you silly billy. Islam is synonymous with violence, like all the desert faiths.
>>
>>52572393
New Testament gave Christians a inch, and they went around the world with it.
>>
>>52572390
That is true.
>>
>>52572367
>listen the west deserves it's children to be killed because back in the day someone else did something shirt
>no, it's different when the Muslim world did something shitty guise
>>
>>52572439
>back in the day
>things currently happening right up till now
It's like you don't know what's happening in the world. Maybe Trump's screeching about "fake news" is true if you are so ignorant.
>>
>>52572471
So if I kill 500 muslims to avenge the victims of the Nice terror attack it's ok ?
>>
>>52572412
To be fair though, as far as I understand it, Christians place greater importance on the New Testament so that does give some validity to that argument. Also the New Testament retcons some of the more extreme stuff in the Old Testament like an eye for an eye.
Not a Christian though so I may be wrong.
>>
>>52572481
If they're members of the Islamic state or believe that Nice attack was justified and morally good from their viewpoint, yes
>>
>>52572481
If you accept and act as an agent of your nation and keep your killings to the people responsible, yeah, go ahead.
You won't, because you honestly don't have the will or the courage, but advocating for justice is to accept the justice that comes. That, and you are clearly talking about killing any Arab you can find as savages tend to.
>>
>>52572533
>>52572514
You both aren't as picky when you condemn westerners I see.
>>
>>52571696
It was mostly 1st and 2nd world academics and politicians telling them that they should be angry and that they will surely be greatly rewarded by their respective peoples if they went and agitated against the government of the day.
>>
>>52572503
Even the old Testament requires some context to show how it wasn't so shitty. For example the Eye for Eye shit wasn't a call for retribution on all fronts, but rather to try to pull back from family spanning blood fueds.

Your cousin stiffs another guy out of a couple bucks, the guy gets some cousins together and rough him up, you and your cousins get together to stab one of them, and suddenly its Montagues and Capulets. The tooth for a tooth and an eye for an eye was put in try to limit these situations before they spun out of control.
>>
>>52572559
That's because they're trolls, anon
>>
>>52572559
I can't help your warped perception and victimhood.
Yes, there are rules to blood justice, and groups like IS generally follow them in order to maintain a righteous face to the Arab world. Your lack of knowledge or understanding doesn't make those rules nonexistent, but as a rule, I don't expect your ken of things to extend more than a few hundreds years ago in a handful of nations.
>>
>>52571632

I've never understood this, especially in regards to the United States. What sort of overarching culture does the US have that you are afraid you're going to loose? Apple Pie? Main Street? Baseball? If anything we do the same thing you blame canada of doing where people tend to stick to their own little corners where they are culturally homogenous, I mean places like little italy and little china exist for a reason.

If anything, I would imagine the rest of the world is more afraid of becoming like us but then you have the boogey man of niggers wearing leaderhausen that freaks out yuros and their "muh culture"
>>
>>52572586
I do realise that, however while it was justified at the time, it sounds a bit harsh to modern sensibilities. Turn the other cheek makes it far easier for someone to claim the moral high ground. Honestly though, I take a dim view of abrahamic religions. The only half decent one is Judaism because they don't go around spewing their bullshit and expecting other people to believe it and killing or enslaving them if they don't, because both Christians and Muslims did that. And to those Muslims going on about how Islam doesn't call for forced conversion, the Islamic conquests spread Islam by the sword and because non-Muslims became slaves or second class citizens, it's not exactly like it was a peaceful conversion not made under duress.
>>
>>52572640
When the rest of the world see American culture, they see big guns, arrogant swagger, and omnipresent hip hop.
Because most European cultures espouse a maxim of humility (with varying degrees of success, Bavarians are nonstop self-aggrandizers) and hip hop is taken to with zeal by their youth as the new, "cool" thing, the elders fear they are losing something.
Which is patently untrue, as Japan for example has not lost it's native culture at all, and still idolizes hip hop culture as a general rule.

It really boils down to fear of outsiders/other, something that has been heavily featured in this thread since the 6th post.
>>
>>52571086
I think the French have a singificant number of both antivaxxers and sans papers drivers.
>>
>>52571539
>What's the difference between neocons and normal cons?

Normal conservatives have principles and ethics. They believe in things.
Neocons believe in little more than acquiring power and using it to implement whatever hare-brained scheme their think tanks have come up with this week. Outside of that you can never pin them down outside of vague buzzwords about freedom and such. They seem to be the product of a mixture of hard-line realpolitik attitudes with the poisonous notion that some conservatives nursed for decades that Nixon didn't actually do anything at all wrong; he was "hounded" out of office by a "liberal media" that sort of invented everything. (As opposed to the real world where evidence was piling up rapidly and if he hadn't politely resigned he would have been impeached, removed from office, and maybe even wound up in the same prison that his stooges did)

Probably as a result of internalizing this meme, they tend to believe that they too can create their own reality and "get" their opponents just by lying and spinning things to their own ends. The other anon's not wrong when he calls them scum.
>>
>>52569740
USED to be. Now it's just touristville and financial stuff and slowly choking to death on it's own traffic problems and left-wing ideology.

I only go there for the food, fashion, and night life, and museums attached to universities or so old they can't be moved.
>>
>>52569161
>only use systems that have been enduring. For that, I do not turn to Europe
The UK's government has been pretty continuous, for a bit more than 300 years
>>
>>52569161
>The Mandate of Heaven is a mechanism that forces the government to be responsible to the people.

I guess this is my disconnect. I look at the PRC and I see anything but a government that tries to be responsible to its people. I mainly see a government that exists to advance itself largely at the expense of its people...the kind of government that the Mandate of Heaven would command the people of China to rise up against.

You can say much the same about America, but at least in America we get to hear about every little mistake and controversial bit the government is involved in, and we're allowed to harshly criticize it.
>>
>>52574464
300 hundred years isn't very long in comparison to something like China. Think of it like this, in Ceasers time, the time gap between the construction of the pyramids and the Roman Empire was greater than that between the Roman Empire and today. Egypt was already ancient at the time of Rome. China began as a civilisation at around the same time as Egypt and so is just as old. Compared to a history as old as that, with such stability that single dynasties lasted centuries if not millennia, 300 years is nothing.
>>
Well, this was a fine thread! Thank you everyone.
>>
File: Be excellent.gif (1MB, 500x206px) Image search: [Google]
Be excellent.gif
1MB, 500x206px
>>52575554

Party on, dude.
Thread posts: 370
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.