[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPSGEN GURPS General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 52

File: 1480813334816.pdf (340KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1480813334816.pdf
340KB, 1x1px
Old Thread
>>52437836

GURPSGEN:

>The Generic Universal RolePlaying System, or GURPS, is a tabletop role-playing game system designed to allow for play in any game setting. It was created by Steve Jackson Games and first published in 1986 at a time when most such systems were story- or genre-specific.

Crazy Settings Edition.

What madhouse settings have you played, GURPSGEN?
>>
I got so many ideas, but I got no stamina (ADHD and shitty schedule--I usually work weekends)

I was thinking about running a forum game/Quest, but again, ADHD. And GURPS is...not suited for it, unless you guys have some tips.

I also have issue with making templates and lenses, I'm just like, wat when confronting it for some reason
>>
File: Rolling 3.png (460KB, 1762x937px) Image search: [Google]
Rolling 3.png
460KB, 1762x937px
>>52562477
It can be hard if you have trouble focusing. There's a lot of material to use and work with and running a game can be a real challenge.

My only suggestion would be to break the story/game you want to do into small, bite sized bits you can prepare a little at a time.

Templates and Lenes can be easiest when you get into GURPS Character Sheet and apply them to a sheet with a few clicks.
>>
>>52562344
I've been thinking about running a Banestorm mixed with Reign of Steel campaign. Basically, the Brisbane Zonemind discovers parachronic technology but, through a glitch, get's transported to the dimensional sargasso that is Yrth. Basically, robots vs magic. An added twist might be that the mage conspiracy that is clearly running Yrth has to recruit an army of underground engineers so they can understand the zonemind's technology enough to destroy it. Of course, a few of the underground engineers might run off with a fusion generator and robofac. There's also the probable involvement of several outside factions, including the Djinn, Dragons, and Infinity. And maybe the Elves decide enough is enough and reuse their ancient magics in order to flee to a better world.
>>
>>52562344
Samurai Cowboy. It's a spaghetti western rewound to Kurosawa but only halfway.

During my long nogaemz period, I also did a bunch of weird IRON GURPS settings, and a few turned out well.
Oberon-12 was the result of Old West, Camelot, and Faerie; the vikings successfully settled America centuries early, prompting a mass transplant of feudal Europe civilization, and 100 years later, chivalric knights on horseback with a six-shooter would wander the plains righting wrongs and dealing with the Fair Folk.
Vampire MechAdemy had its obvious components. It was by far the weebiest thing I had ever done or ever will do. It was a training academy... for vampires... to pilot mechs. I think Cthulhu was in there too as the main antagonist? It's only salvation was as a tongue-in-cheek black humor setting
>>
>>52562615
>>52562577

Nice. Banestorm Of Steel sounds like a sort of wild game that nearly hits Rifts level of crazy.

Oberon-12 sounds like something I'd play. Hard to make it work in anything bur GURPS.

What kind of Fair Folk were you going for? Green Knights challenging people at crossroads?
>>
One of my players wants the ability to see weaknesses in anything manufactured: weapons, armour, robots etc. What would be the best way to stat this?
>>
>>52562823
What's the mechanical effect of seeing weaknesses? How do they do it?
>>
Just make it a wildcard skill. tbqh, familia. So.

>Hey I wanna roll to know the structural Weakness of the Twin Towers.

>Cool. Roll Wildcard Allah Akbar....A critical success, eh? It's planes.
>>
>>52562966
Through a mechanical visor, the effects would vary based on my judgement as a gm, but generally it would point out a weak point he could target for extra damage.
>>
>>52562823
How would this work? A magic spell or some kind of dignoistic scanner?

In any case, >>52562999 isn't a bad idea. Spotting the thinnest armor on a tank is over the engine deck or that the idlers are fragile and can disable the tracks if damaged.

Note that knowing a weakness and being able to use it to do anything are two different things. Magically being told the man about to beat you to death in an alleyway is afraid of heights and dyslexic isn't very useful.
>>
>>52563084
Yeah, just have them buy a Weak Points! wildcard skill like >>52562999 said. Power-Ups Wildcards covers them in detail.
>>
>>52563084
I'd just tell him where the lowest DR on the target is and where the best damage-multiplier is for his weapon/scanner.

So a target in heavy armor would have unarmored areas and low DR areas highlighted.

No bonus damage. He gets that if he can hit it.
>>
>>52562823
IIRC there's a perk or a powerup that does this for DF Artificers. I think it gives you an armor divisor against inanimate unattended objects on a successful IQ or relevant skill roll.
>>
Would you add non-personal reaction roll modifiers when Influencing? Like usings Streetwise to influence requests for aid, would you add the modifiers for cost and danger to the effective skill?

Influence rules for modifiers on B359 state only apply personal modifiers. Although Social Engineering rules on Influence don't make this distinction.
>>
>>52564360
Could you elaborate? What non-personal reaction roll modifier do you think would apply to whatever influence roll you're making?
>>
>>52564450
Requests for aid give you a -1 for costing the NPCs and a -1 if the request is dangerous to the total reaction roll.

Would those same modifiers apply to the influence skill?
>>
I have a question about templates and disadvantages.

Do the disadvantages inside a template count towards the campaign disadvantage limit?

Suppose I'm playing a 150/-50 game. For my character I pick the racial template Felinoid (B261), which costs 35 points and has ST-1 [-10], Impulsiveness [-10] and Sleepy [-8]. After picking that template do I still have -50 points to for disadvantages or do I only have -22 points left to play with?
>>
>>52562344
Hey Gurpsgen, got a question about guns and ammo from High Tech. Which of the ammunition variants for small arms do you recommend on a cost/benefit basis? APFSDS +P seems like a no-brainer unless you're buying ammo yourself.
>>
>>52566787
>Do the disadvantages inside a template count towards the campaign disadvantage limit?
No.
>>
>>52566787
>>Do the disadvantages inside a template count towards the campaign disadvantage limit?
For racial template - no. You buy whole package as single trait, essentially. For some reason it was only explained in GM section, B452.
>>52566827
Whatever is necessary for specific mission. If you only care about damage output - whatever you can afford.
>>
>>52567023
>>52567033
Alright, thanks.
>>
>>52567033
Ah, I was hoping for a kind of general purpose recommendation. Our group is explorers and we never know what we're running into. Guess it'll be APDS slugs and shotshells.
>>
>>52567290
>Guess it'll be APDS slugs and shotshells.
That's good. buying some speciality shots is a good idea, such as some APFSDSDU in case you need to shoot through something. It also has ridic damage.
>>
>>52562477
>ADHD
I have ADHD and this is my favorite system to GM
>>
>>52567350
Elaborate? Seriously curious. Is because there's so much stuff that it keeps your attention? Is it the detail, or the modularity? What is it?
>>
File: 1427314414716.jpg (110KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1427314414716.jpg
110KB, 640x960px
>>52567328
>>52567290
>>52566827

You can't really small-arms APFSDS unless your GM allows you to have theoretical experimental rounds. Even SLAP rounds only come in 7.62mm and are APDS by GURPS rules.

If you can do theoretical experimental rounds, APFSDSDU .50 BMG in a M82A1 are likely the best option. If you can't do theoretical rounds then APFSDS .50 with +p and Incendiary options are just fine too.

For a dark horse, there's 10 gauge +p APHC incendiary slugs. They are LC 2 rather then 1 and deal 8d(2) pi+, so they should go right though any body armor a human can wear at TL 8, you can buy them at TL 6 and use them to hunt armored cars.
>>
>>52567033
It is actually mentioned on page 11, in the Disadvantage limit section in the Characters book as well, at the end of the section.
>>
>>52567290
Shot is great for a lot of situation. The ROF bonus is always useful, letting you aim around armor
>>
>>52568207
All I can think when looking at her outfit are the horrible scalds caused by that suit, along with abrasions
>>
>>52567350
Same, i gotta use medicine to help plan normally but that would apply to any system.
>>
File: 14257946744580.png (4MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
14257946744580.png
4MB, 1920x1200px
It is fine that our cyberpunk game is
>get contract, bash door to crack-niggers warehouse, short shoot-out, loot crack, blings and chips, sell all this on black market.
or
>get contact, find entrance, breaking in, mess with guard robots, puzzle some hacking, download precious local file, run away to sell it on blackmarket.
??
Yeah, everything is awesome and cool, everyone have lots of fun, but i feel its like its freakin fantasy with robots, cyberware, guns and no magic and elves...
>>
>>52571559
Are you a player or GM?

Because you could be doing more than a series of heists, I'm not familiar with other cyberpunk rpgs but shadowrun has lots of different adventures that aren't you're typical cyber-heist
>>
>>52571559
I feel that getting contract is unnecessary step here.
>no magic and elves
Should have use shadowrun for inspiration.

Anyway, over-the-top futuristic action isn't wrong way to have fun. I wouldn't call it cyberpunk, though.
>>
Anyone know of a Mass Effect conversion for GURPS? Everything I've found on google is just dead links or blog posts talking about making one.
>>
>>52565653
Anybody know the answer to this question?
>>
File: 14258055818133.jpg (208KB, 811x1081px) Image search: [Google]
14258055818133.jpg
208KB, 811x1081px
>>52571668
>>52571650
Im player.

>shadowrun
Just no. I just don't like what ideas it about.

I dont wanna there elves and magic, as same as i dont wanna play ye olde fantasy with looting dungeons and robbing bandit hideouts, but in just with high-tech decorations.
Maybe i said not clearly there, but our GM run this cyberpunk game just as if it was pure fantasy.
>>
Can a heavy weapons squad in GURPS mass combat neutralize anything? It doesn't list a class it neutralizes.
>>
File: b4b090e5b52eb4eaaf0d2d2d2facd521.jpg (396KB, 1280x1256px) Image search: [Google]
b4b090e5b52eb4eaaf0d2d2d2facd521.jpg
396KB, 1280x1256px
>>52572102
I'm not saying you should/are playing Shadowrun but that does have pre-written adventures and a lot of the older books also have tons of hooks that involve shadowrunners doing stuff besides the standard cyber heist and they don't all involve magic to boot! I just bring this up because if Shadowrun can handle non-shadowrun adventures then your GM should be able to handle it too.

Just talk with your GM and ask if s/he can switch things up .
>>
>>52562722
Every kind of fairy, really. With European culture can European entities, though they stick to the outskirts of the Grand Cities on the east coast. The frontier is home to beings from Native American and early American folklore. Trickster ravens and wendigos and hidebehinds and all. Some are peaceful and can be talked to, some can be talked to but shouldn't, and some are bestial magic monsters.
>>
>>52572159
Nope. It's a Fire-class element that only gives support strength. However, you can totally justify paying extra to turn a HSW Team in an Anti-Armor element; fluff it as giving them AP ammo or RPGs.
>>
>>52573505
I thought the point of parenthetical TS is that it neutralizes certain classes? So AFAIK it does nothing then, except give you 10% of its listed TS when calculating
>>
>>52573637
No, that's the point of parenthetical classes. Cv is Cavalry while (Cv) is Anti-Cavalry. Having parenthesis around Troop Strength means the element only factors into special class superiority, not to overall TS when determining ratio.

For example, lets have a battery of Riflemen (total TS 160 with Fire and Recon classes) supported by ton of artillery (1200 parenthetical TS with Artillery class) vs an entire mob of Riflemen (Total TS of 300 with Fire and Recon classes). Obviously, the latter has Fire and Recon superiority and the former Artillery superiority. However, because the artillery units have parenthetical TS -- i.e. it's written as (1200) rather than 1200 -- it does not factor into overall TS, meaning the mob *also* has the advantage in overall troop strength!

Basically, parenthetical TS can be really useful, but it can't win the battle or carry the rest of the army. In the above example, the artillery can shell the shit out of the other side, but through strategic use of cover and movement and exploiting numerical superiority, they are likely able to overcome the small number of enemy riflemen directly on the battlefield and storm the unprotected artillery.
>>
File: mass-effect-3-class-power-guide.jpg (41KB, 638x320px) Image search: [Google]
mass-effect-3-class-power-guide.jpg
41KB, 638x320px
>>52571743
Alright well how would you handle biotic and tech powers?
>>
>>52574071
Powers with Psi and Superscience power modifiers, respectively.
>>
>>52571743
Bump for interest
>>
File: 4978636-3992298686-Goemo.jpg (12KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
4978636-3992298686-Goemo.jpg
12KB, 300x225px
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but parrying bullets is completely useless even in most cinematic campaigns? I can understand the point of Parry Missile Weapons skill, as it should be cheaper to raise than Dodge (especially if Enhanced Dodge is out of limits), but -5 penalty for parrying bullets makes it lose to the Dodge no matter what.

Let me do the math. +1 to Dodge costs 15 point if it's Enhanced Dodge, +20 points if you raise Basic Speed directly, or around 40-80 points if you raise your HT and DX (but it also gives you many other benefits). Initial investment for bullet parrying is 36 points for ETS (combat-only version from MA), 4 points to get the skill to the Attribute+0 and another 40 points to buy out the -5 penalty, 80 points total, and then raising Parry by 1 will cost you 8 points. So yeah, the only benefit I'm seeing right now is lack of encumbrance penalty.
>>
>>52575418
Parry Missile Weapon as a separate skill is retarded anyway. I prefer scrapping it all and just going with either "unpenalized parry" if it's an over-the-top cinematic game and I want swordsmen to be 100% viable or using Douglas Cole's Pyramid article "Dodge This" from the Gunplay issue if I just want it to be "a thing."
>>
>>52575418
Wait... are you honestly surprised that one of the most cinematic skills, that only works in highly cinematic games with REALLY high point characters is useless sink of points?
>>
File: 1480807269145.png (1MB, 1587x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1480807269145.png
1MB, 1587x1600px
>>52575513
We're all Autists here, anon
Even gurpsgen
>>
>>52571743
>>52574071
>>52575307

It might be time for /tg/ to get shit done.

Now, I don't play Mass Effect (fuck yeah homelessness round 1, FITE) But I can help take a swing at the mechanics.

Do we want the Biotics as individual Advantages (Maybe Alternate Abilities/Sorcery?), one Power with a bunch of skills, or one Advantage using on of my favorite enhancements: Selectivity(B108)?

In the final case I have a strong instinct to tie it to techniques/skills so the players can't Aura something that isn't meant to be aura--basically, a stand in for the physical mnemonics, possibly also pulling double duty as your skill in the skill?
>>
>>52575513
Yes, I am honestly surprised. Most cinematic stuff in GURPS offers actual advantage, should you allow it in your campaign. This one, on other hand, is plain useless. I should probably find an alternative way to stat it, through Powers or something.
>>
>>52575513
I think he's pointing out that in a highly cinematic high-budget game, it's STILL a useless point crock compared to upping Dodge; if you can afford the 80+ points just to do a half-assed job of knocking away ranged attacks with your sword, you can afford Enhanced Dodge 4 (likely on top of already impressive DX, HT, and Basic Speed) and dodge every type of attack 95% of the time.

Once you can afford to invest in ETS and Parry Missile Weapon, you can afford to invest in better things to ensure bullets don't find their mark.

>>52575659
Give "Dodge This" a look. Like most of Cole's work, it's a bit jumbled together and needs better formatting, but the ideas inside it are good for both detailed, realistic and fast-paced, cinematic play.
>>
>>52575637
Here's the wiki page describing Biotics and the Powers along with it

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Biotics

I wouldn't go too deep into various implants or the ME3 multiplayer powers for now

The powers seem to be just different uses and manipulations of Mass Effect Field energy rather than actual different spells
>>
>>52575810
Yeah, that looks like a bunch of separate Abilities within a single Power. In ME1 I'm seeing DR (Forcefield)*, Telekinesis, Crushing Attack (Area of Effect; No Wounding; Double Knockback, Reversed), Affliction (Time Stop), Telekinesis (again), and Innate Attack.
*Can be argued as a third example of Telekinesis if power parries from GURPS: Powers are allowed.
>>
>>52575929
I'd keep it as DR Forcefield,

Biotic Charge (only available to Vangurads) seems a bit tricky but I'm still new to GURPS

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Charge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUgSOfLqaYQ
>>
>>52575810

I'm giving it a poke, going though in order to see if I can pound a few out and let the fans sort it out.

Barrier is up first. I need some sort of scale for it though. HOW MUCH does it defend? What does 400 points translate into?
>>
>>52571743
Hmm, the mass effect universe's tech level TL11 with safetech. Much of this is possible because the council species have piggybacked off of previous species who piggybacked off of previous species, etc. Spoilers but this fits with the design and intent of the Reapers; they don't want species going off the rails and inventing radical nanotech so they provide cheap and easy safetech.

The species seem roughly all the same intelligence. I wouldn't give any one species more than +2 IQ over humans. A few such as the salarians might qualify for enhanced time sense. And of course, since some species such as the Asari and Krogan live for hundreds of years, their skills levels could be very high. For example, guns (rifle) - 18 might make you one of the best human shooters but for an asari it's merely good.

Going back to technology, I'd make the mass drivers of the setting TL11 electromagnetic guns. I'd also make force screens barrier and not conformal. I can't remember where but I think force screens in mass effect only cover parts of the body, i.e. the upper body and face.

>>52575637
>>52575810
Agree, biotics are straight powers. They're basically bioware shoehorning in the old psionics powers trope into a harder, more modern space opera.

For disadvantages, I'd limit them to 50 or less for humans. While Mass Effect hasn't gone full transhuman space in the quality of it's psychology therapy and genefixing, it's still there in the background. I think's mentioned in the fluff that alliance soldiers receive some minor gene therapy. Plus, the alliance uses artificial AIs for augmented learning. Thus, I feel that people in the setting are generally better off and thus everyone (except for those from let's say the slums of earth) should have a lower disadvantage limit.
>>
>>52576050

Looks like a technique that requires, mm, a bit of levitation and some other stuff.

I don't do Psi much.

>>52575929
>a bunch of separate Abilities within a single Power

Medium levels of Tk
Selectivity +5% (Predetermined states only)
And Techniques/skills for actually using them?
>>
>>52576165
Like I said, a good number boil down to TK, but some are way different. I guess you could train up a defaulted ability as a technique, though.
>>
>>52576079
Man it's been a long time since I played Mass Effect but barrier pretty added something like a quarter/half extra to your shields

Max level it was effectively another life bar for your character
>>
>reads

Will some faggot explain to me the difference between BS Telekinesis and PP Telekineetic Control, and how they came to be? Having trouble groking over here, BC all I'm seeing is TK on a different scale (what one level means and what 1 level costs) and I'm not sure why it exists?
>>
>>52576307

I'd say it would start at DR 3-4 then for a combat certified individual. Capped at HP.
>>
File: 1440644620993.jpg (201KB, 833x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1440644620993.jpg
201KB, 833x1024px
>>52571309
That's mostly lycra rather then latex, so it's slick and elastic rather then inflexible. Even then, oiled latex isn't too bad, though it requires absurd amounts of care and baby powder.

>>52576106

Not a bad challenge, a Mass Effect conversion could be fun.

Technically Mass Effect barriers don't cover the body at all. They detect incoming threats and generate a gradient of intense gravitational force that deflects projectiles, disrupts hostile mass effect fields (protecting from biotic attacks, mostly) and adjust the user's mass to protect them from kinetic impacts, keeping them from being thrown aside by, say, a concussion grenade.

They cover the whole body, but rapidly overheat and charge the tiny mass effect cores they use. Even powerful personal shields can't last long under sustained fire.

Note that they can't do anything about directed energy. They only work on projectiles.. it's just that ME hits lasers with the realism stick, relegating them to defensive weapons. Lasers also don't take advantage of the local space magic.

I'd say the general ME TL is more 10 with 12^ things left by the Reapers to guide development and evolution, like the Mass Relays and Citadel.

Nanotechnology is around, but in this universe the limitations of thermal dispersion, energy management, ect mean that it only functions in heavily controlled conditions. Omni-Gel is nano-tech that can be turned into almost any light, simple tool in an irreversible operation. It can also infiltrate and override many locks and control systems. It can even, when programmed and controlled by someone nearby and working in controlled conditions, break down unneeded items and equipment into useful raw materials.

This is where your thermal clips come from, by the way. Dead robots and broken weapons and other trash on the ground can be savaged for lithium and turned into disposable heat sinks.
>>
>>52576079
Biotic barriers, paired with a amp, can stop assault rifle fire at point blank range.. once, before they need to recharge. 40 DR (ablative, Force Field, Hardened (1))
>>
>>52562344
Does anyone have GURPS Old West?
>>
>>52576328
TK-Control is meant to represent everything a telekinetic can do and do so in a straightforward fashion. Raw TK can lift and manipulate, but it can also strike, and it's rules for ranged attacks and crushing targets directly with TK are a bit too different from what many may expect. In short, raw TK is not suitable for a psionic powers game.

Because of all this, they merged the four Psychokinesis abilities into one alternate ability array. Now you buy up grabbing and manipulating, crushing, shooting, and flying all at once.

I *think* the pricing at 8/level is an attempt to simplify the cost of improving a bunch of AAs all at once, or possible to fix that the AA array gains a new ability (Levitation) at a higher level.

I'd honestly just use raw TK myself, though.
>>
>>52576426
Question, could someone at max health survive that in ME? Because of what >>52576307 says the scale is...

If yes, then I might have two skills then, in Psi Power there's a shield skill that's passive--so do a split, you can increase your personal passive shield (HP sink of annoyance), and your active barrier shield.

>>52576400
>Note that they can't do anything about directed energy. They only work on projectiles

Just like the one in PsiPower then, good, no tinkering needed on that angle.

Heat up and recovery would just be cooldown and stuff, no big.

>>52576597
Thanks, Yeah, TK and welding on techniques and skills would be my go to, but for ME conversion I'd probably use TK-Control and other associated skills because it's all bundled together and play test balanced already.

...This is probably why there's no MassEffect conversion, it's basically already all there just needing a few tweaks and fluff.
>>
>>52576921
Sure. Personal shields can stop a burst from a rifle. You might take the last round on the hardsuit
>>
>>52576921
The Barrier power can be pretty powerful in ME but it should probably be toned down for gurps in regard to how much damage it can sustain
>>
>>52576446
Guys plz I can't find it in your massive MEGA.
>>
My cycle with gurps always go like this:

>get hyped at gurps
>read basic set with enthusiasm
>get overwhelmed by the possibilities
>fallback to d&d
>forget gurps rules
>repeat
>>
>>52577289
Try using Dungeon Fantasy for a bit get used to the system then branch out
>>
>>52577319
want to try low-fantasy age of sail in gurps, is dungeon fantasy good for that?
>>
>Wake up
>My friends are still too brainlet to understard fucking GURPS
>Try to lure them with DF and a simple one shot, I'll even help them make characters
>G-gurps combat takes too long!!!
>Have only played once
Why does this always happen to me?
I think I'll turn insane if I have to play another game where combat is roll one dice over and over and over with no decision making or tactics involved.
>>
>>52577366
Nah DF makes high powered dungeon delvers, maybe just use regular Gurps Fantasy Instead
>>
>>52567371
Well ADHD isn't about "keeping attention" because you can't do that half the time. If you mean "listening" then I can do that just fine. It's more about getting distracted mentally/having your mind wander, which is only a big issue when you're reading the book/studying the rules/planning stuff, but other systems have fucked me over harder than this one in that regard. In any system to me, the big "Uh oh" moment is when multiple players start heavily deliberating on their course of action, regardless of whether I'm a player or not.

I should point out that "having ADHD" isn't why it's my favorite to run, I just like running it the most despite its flaws (but why preach to the choir here).
>>
>>52577366
Ehhhhh. DF is meant for AD&D-style dungeon crawls. It can work for other styles of fantasy, but the further you diverge from "find monsters, kill monsters, sell the spoils, repeat," the more work you have to do to fill in the gaps.

PCs tend to be pretty dang powerful, and the rules support that (for the most part; feel like a god mowing down goblins, but still get smeared if you just try and big dick the lich), so you may struggle with the low-fantasy aspect depending what does and does not fall under low fantasy -- Knights can't cleave a boulder in half, but they can take on a bunch of foes at once and expect to come out alive if they fight smart. To scale back magic, I recommend ditching the basic casting classes except the Bard, adding in Sages from DF: Sages, one or two casters from DF: Summoners (esp. one that can heal), and the Incanter from DF: Incantation Magic.

If Age of Sale has blackpowder weapons, check out Pyramid #3/36 for two different takes on gunpowder: the dwarven Demolisher, focused on explosives and similar weapons, and the Musketeer, a consummate fighter that supplements his blade with pistol, rifle, and musket.
>>
>>52577547
>game where combat is roll one dice over and over and over with no decision making or tactics involved
This is why combat is taking too long. Your players aren't thinking about things like they would irl

In D&D thinkibg tactically is punished, because anything that's not dealing damage is a waste of time. In GURPS you can cripple people, knock them out, etc.

My favorite way to introduce GURPS combat is to have everyone make their characters, and have them fight an ox. Last time I did this they all bumrushed the ox and all 4 characters were dead in 5 turns.

Figure something out for your group, show them that tactics are actually useful in GURPS
>>
File: file.png (679KB, 960x550px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
679KB, 960x550px
>>52577888
Ox as in pic related?
>>
>>52576400
>Implying lycra can't give you absolutely horrible scalds
>>
>>52577686
Yes, DF characters are as powerful as 250 pt characters can be by design. The knight can cut mooks in half and the barbarian can often cut monsters in half. The wizard is powerful, especially against groups of enemies, but are much more limited than a default GURPS mage (several spell casting colleges are no longer available). The cleric are similar but are even more limited in what they cast. The upside is that he has holy powers. Both can use power items but unlike default GURPS Magic, the power items have to recharged at a temple/mages guild. The scout is basically a ranged knight with increased wilderness skills. He can massacre weak mooks easily from afar, especially with a cornucopia quiver. The swashbuckler is similar in that he can kill most weak mooks easily in melee. Both however, suffer against high dr enemies (and enemies with Injury Tolerance). The druid is a basically a nature themed cleric while the holy warrior is a cleric crossed with a knight. The thief is often underestimated but can be VERY deadly if he has a insanely high sneak skill. He can basically stealth in the middle of a fight and deliver targeted attacks to the vitals of enemies (even better if he picks of Striking ST). Like the swash buckler and scout, he suffers against enemies with high dr and injury tolerance. Lastly, the martial artist, the thief, is usually underestimated because he is harder to play. However, he can be a beast if you focus on his Chi abilities.

You'll notice I haven't mentioned the bard. That's because he's meh. Good if your DF campaign includes lots of social problems, but he's really a jack of all trades master of none. Which can be good if you're in a big party and you don't really need another caster or warrior and you already have a thief and wilderness expert.
>>
>>52577888
Not bad. Little "nothing" encounters are definitely a good way of introducing a new system.
>>
>>52567350
SA: Agreed

>>52567371

I love GURPS, and getting pulled into making a character is great, but I have problems with making campaigns is like..."Shit what was I doing again? Where the fuck am I?" That sort of thing.

Also if things get too...big, I can't stay on task.

>>52571369

Man I need to get medicated again, but it's hard. My family used to steal my pills, and in fact made me get the stuff that people liked (vs what worked best for me) so they could steal them for...better effect.

(They made me get adderall, which isn't bad for me, but Focalin, the extended release kind, that's the shit. My god I was doing homework in one night, taking MOOCs, it was heaven while I had it.)

>>52577649
Yeah, I kind of zone out, that's the wrong term, but when too many people are talking and it doesn't concern me? Butterfly brain. GMing IS easier, but building the damn settings (big pieces, or many medium ones) increases the chance of my brain fluttering off.
>>
>>52577062
>Sure. Personal shields can stop a burst from a rifle. You might take the last round on the hardsuit

Do you buy new Hardsuits in ME to increase HP, or is it upgrade screen after you level up?

>>52577160
Can't win either way, either you are making shit too OP, or you're not matching the game close enough.
>>
>>52577160
I find with conversions it's best to match the lore and not the gameplay.
>>
>>52577255
No one is answering you because they think you're a goddamn fucking idiot. But I'm a millenial so I'll spoonfeed your dumb, tech and logic unsavvy, ass.

Older GURPS Books > Myth and History. There's three fucking copies.
>>
>>52578460
Well you're pleasant, thanks?

I mean that's not a search function on MEGA is there? It doesn't feel like a very easy thing to find. I was chasing a reference in 4th Edition High-Tech Adventure Guns, I didn't even consider that it would be referring to something not in the same edition till I went though the 4th listing till I felt stupid.

But not really thinks, good to know GURPS general is such a nice place.
>>
>>52578193
Basically the difficulty of playing each class well:

Beginners=Knight, Barbarian, Swashbuckler, Scout.
Experienced Players=Wizard, Cleric, Druid.
Veteran Players=Thief, Martial Artist, Holy Warrior.
Oh Shit Are You SURE=Bard.

What you want covered by the Party:

Melee Fighter=Knight, Barbarian, Swashbuckler, Martial Artist, Holy Warrior.
Ranged Fighter=Scout, Wizard.
Area of Effect Guy=Wizard, Cleric, Druid.
Healer=Cleric.
Dungeon Skills=Thief, Wizard (with spells).
Wilderness Skills=Barbarian, Scout, Druid.
Social Skills=Bard, Thief, Swashbuckler.
Lore Skills=Wizard, Cleric, Druid, Holy Warrior.
Unarmed Skills=Martial Artist, Barbarian.

It'll be hard for a party to have all those bases covered so don't be afraid to get hirelings or henchmen.
>>
>>52577932
Yup. Four 150 point characters against one of those puppies are going down.

Incidentally that's another reason I hate D&D. Regular animals are basically fodder that go down with no trouble from 2nd level onward
>>
>>52578881
https://mega.nz/#F!yxFxlD4I!CGTYsnTE_8XAmcJxdMehAQ!bwMz3JIL

Please, no drama.
>>
>>52577888
I do something similar when teaching people about efficient point budget. I wait till they make their characters, I see what they've picked, I read their backstories and then make for half the budget a character completely outperforming what they've provided. People in general can't handle points and the more they have, the worse characters they make and then can't even use all those gorillion skills and advantages they've picked.

And not exactly GURPS example, but I was teaching my players combat for Witcher TTRPG this way - their characters, after roughtly doubling their starting skills vs n+2 group of wolves, where n is party size. Despite sounding scary, wolves in the game are pretty weak, dealing quite small damage and being pretty much one of the weakiest things you can throw at players. But they are great at explaining swarming, pinning down and going for vitals/crippling, as that's literally all they can do.
Plus it's absurdly humiliating when a small pack of wolves completely destroys a party composed of grizzled veterans.
>>
>>52578429
Your basic HP is static in ME 2+, but there are abilities that increase it. Your hardsuit gives you bonuses, but there's a baseline level of protection built into the game.

IE: A hardsuit might give you +20% Health and Shields, but your basic health and shield numbers on your sheet assume you are wearing a hardsuit because you are in every combat situation in the game.

Buying levels in the Fitness skill might give you +15% to HP, ect.

ME 1 had a different, more complicated system.

I'd say GURPS wise that your hardsuit does not provide ablative DR, but instead makes being shot with a mass accelerator rifle survivable. DR 30-50 vs pi damage, maybe with Hardened (1) to reflect being designed to stop hypervelocity micro-projectiles.
>>
I'm worldbuilding for a Fallout game set in Arizona. What would Pheonix be like if, say, the NCR beat back the Legion in the area and took up residence in the area?
>>
>>52578881
Naw, it's just me that's salty, coe on now, this is 4chan, and you know, assuming you googled it.

For future reference, all...thematic doesn't fit, but focuses setting splats, especially are 90% of the time

>I mean that's not a search function on MEGA is there

Only Ctrl+F and going folder by folder.

For what it's worth, I am sorry I bit your head off, been doing that a hell of a lot recently
>>
>>52579711
It's the edge of forever, I'd imagine. A city of sand and dust. Not a target when the bombs fell but with the infrastructure that fed it and brought it water gone it's barely survivable, with water a precious and rare resource collected by wind traps and brought in by caravan.

The NCR advance is stopped while they wait for the train to catch up to them. They've got a railhead somewhere back in the La Paz valley but after that it's a long, hard braman caravan trip to bring supplies in, and they've got fuck all heavy artillery because of it.
>>
>>52579711
>>52579789

I imagine most locals don't trust the NCR much. Some might blame them for the loss of 'order' when the legion breaks into warring factions and it's unsustainable conquest economy fails utterly after the loss in Nevada. Ex-slaves that hated the legion might form most of the people living near the NCR base in Phoenix.
>>
>>52580038
Yeah I was imagining that the whole of Arizona would be in three major camps: Those who hate the NCR, mainly traders who had it good with the Legion, those who subscribed to Legion philosophy, and those who lost land to the NCR onslaught; those who hate the Legion, mainly traders in good with the NCR, subsidized farmers and sharecroppers who have new land, rich tourists who want to explore Arizona alongside NCR troops, and those who like NCR thought; and those who don't give a fuck eitherway, the raiders, farmers, average townfolk who are largely unaffected by anything that has happened.
>>
>>52571559
Try creating things around themes that are specific to the cyberpunk genre ( instead of just making generic fantasy adventures and slapping high technology on top ), like rogue AIs, ghosts in the machine, grey goo, cyber warfare, human-machine conflicts, eugenics, surveillance states, etc.

You can do a lot of interesting stuff, it just seems to me that your DM isn't used to working with cyberpunk or simply didn't read enough sci-fi to get properly inspired.
>>
>>52575418
You can buy off the penalty for parrying bullets as a hard technique, so that costs 6 points, not 40.
>>
I want to get into GURPS, is there any way to spectate a game over the internet to get familiar with the rules?
>>
>>52582279
There are some recorded games on youtube, back when I was getting into GURPS I wanted to watch them, but I never had the patience to sit through the cringe.
>>
>>52573892
So wait. What the hell is the point of the HWS if it's parenthetical but doesn't neutralize any class?

Right now I'm trying to work on a Fallout game that will either be or use a system heavily based off GURPS Mass Combat. I want to have there be a bit more customization (without me having to stat out every individual weapon/armor piece in GURPS and then convert it to GURPS mass combat). I'm also going to have it go off a scale of five Tech Levels instead of twelve since it's a post-apoc setting.

Does this look fine?:

>Big Guns (TL1+): Every individual squad member is toting a crew-served weapon. Choose any weapon at TL1 or higher. Multiply its' Troop Strength and price to raise and maintain by three. Add (Arm, Air) as Classes. Requires Power Armor.

In my system you"ll be able to give any (infantry?) element the following: a head piece, body armor and class of weapons; which can be something like "19th century repeaters" or "Improvised/light melee weapons, slingshots, javelins".
>>
>>52582975
>What the hell is the point of the HWS if it's parenthetical but doesn't neutralize any class?
It adds to its class for the purpose of special class superiority but not overall TS. The example he gave does this with Artillery. The elements added up to (1200) with the Art class, so they definitely have Artillery Superiority, but the TS is parenthetical, meaning it doesn't add to the final TS value of the army.

20 TS worth of soldiers supported with (2 billion) TS worth of artillery still only has a 1:10 TS ratio against an army with a total of 200 TS because parenthetical TS is not added in.
>>
>>52583381
So HWS would give class superiority to the Fire class?
>>
>>52583395
Yes. But not increase your total TS.

Quite, honestly the Mass Combat system for GURPS is my favorite out of all the RPGs I've played. It's suitably abstract without going full wargame.
>>
>>52583961
My only criticism is how lackluster magic is in mass combat. It doesn't work out too well if you want to have some really good mages with mundane meatshields fight a TL6-8 force.
>>
I'm planning to run After the End game and I've got a question ahead of my players, since we lately made ourselves a marathon of Friedkin's movies and I know the first thing they will try to do first chance given will be this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbkGdKU4MnY

What skills, aside obvious Mechanic (Automobiles) and Engineer should be required to perform an elaborate car assemble out of scrap. I want to make it a "hub quest", where they try to collect parts and tools for the truck, so it obviously will also require Search and similar, but what atypical skills should be useful for checks and/or to make their lives harder? Or what skills can substitute for Mechanic?
>>
>>52584433
I mean mages lose their flair when the other side also has "mages" that shoot at 2000 rounds per minute
>>
>>52586088
But sufficiently high powered mages can offer a good range of asymmetry to combat against modern forces. I don't know that much about GURPS magic but a couple of mid-level Wizards/Magic-Users could ruin the day of any modern military force.
>>
>>52584433
Mass Combat's mages are competent but nothing really special in terms of individual might. If you want super mages, bust out the Perspectives issue of Pyramid; there's an article in there that converts characters to MC elements. It's pretty good too; we created a character on par with Dynasty Warriors in terms of skill and ability, and the converted MC element had enough TS to take on an army of TL-appropriate foot soldiers solo.

MC mages seem underwhelming because they're 150-point professional battle mages while you're assuming 600-point archmages. Try converting a 600-point archmage and see how it fares.
>>
>>52586138
Ehhh. At the end of the day, default magic mostly requires line of sight, putting the mage in the soldier's killzone. It's also much faster to tap the trigger and riddle the mage with bullets than it is to channel up a good Fireball of similar strength.

For huge Wrath of God effects that wipe out entire armies, you're talking about a stupidly-high-budget character which is not what MC mages are.
>>
>>52586267
Well, looking at just B/X D&D Wizards can:
1. Shapechange to anything while preserving your mind, gaining all the abilities of said creature.
2. Mass charm up to 30 people.
3. Can make up to 300 people invisible.

And more. This isn't even Caster Edition magic. I'm sure GURPS has tons of cool magical effects too.

Point is that it's a lot better than one or ten mages having a piddly TS5 and that's it.
>>
Can a math wizard tell me how the table progresses in Social Engineering Page 14? I'm sure the answer is simple.

I know it progresses linearly somehow because it mentions that you can *change* how you "span" the table to get proper results for your organization.
>>
>>52586572
Oh, and Birthright has Realm/Battle magic.
>>
>>52586572
Christ. Okay lets go through this post step-by-step

For starters, you are still assuming that wizards are more experienced then they actually are in MC. To continue with your D&D example, MC's mages are level 4-6 or so -- capable of Flight, Lightning Bolt, and similar -- and you're assuming all mages are level 16+ -- capable of polymorphing into dragons and reshaping the entire battlefield through earth manipulation. My previous post already mentioned this; if you want an epic god-wizard, you need to make something more powerful than MC's baseline default. The system can handle it fine, but you need to change some things yourself if you want Mage-Hero Blastronicus rather than Pvt. Pyle of the 501st Magic Legion.

Secondly, D&D is simply not GURPS. There are so many assumptions that differ between the two systems that there is literally no reason to compare the two. Would you consider "my level 6 character in Anima can leap above the clouds and cut a mountain in half with his sword" a good argument for letting my level 6 fighter in AD&D do the same?

Lastly, most of those spells you gave *still* require the mage getting within shooting range and LoS. The pre-battle buffs from invisibility, even if possible in GURPS, are abstracted into the wizard's CI3 class or the GM giving one side a better bonus for terrain and preparation.
>>
Would you add non-personal reaction roll modifiers when Influencing? Like usings Streetwise to influence requests for aid, would you add the modifiers for cost and danger to the effective skill?

For example, Requests for aid give you a -1 for costing the NPCs and a -1 if the request is dangerous to the total reaction roll.

>Influence rules for modifiers on B359 state only apply personal modifiers. Although Social Engineering rules on Influence don't make this distinction.
>>
>>52575563
ESPECIALLY gurpsgen
>>
>>52586733
I mean, it looks like it repeats the same 5-20-100 pattern indefinitely; shouldn't be too hard to extrapolate. Are you looking for a math equation where you pump in a rank to find a number of subordinates?
>>
File: 14203076937340.jpg (311KB, 1700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
14203076937340.jpg
311KB, 1700x1000px
>>52580647
>themes that are specific to the cyberpunk genre
I sent GM play Watch Dogs series.Are there enough cyberpunk related problems?
>>
>>52590079
something like that. I see the pattern, it's just that the box *implies* that there's a formulaic way to change the spanning, whatever that means.
>>
>>52590186
It implies it, but I don't think it actually gives one. Every step up in rank multiplies the number of followers by 4 or 5 in a 4-5-5 pattern, and because of that, every three steps up in rank multiplies the number of followers by 100. It's easy enough to do in your head, but I can't think of any easy calculation that does it for you.
>>
>>52590333
yeah that was my final conclusion myself, but i figured i would ask here since I asked here about the speed/range table and got a formula which is

2 - 6log(yards) = penalty for size/range and

6log(longest dimension in yds) - 2 = bonus for SM

problem with the formula is rounding. but its only an error of 1.
>>
>>52586733
It's approximately Rank = 1.5 * log_10(troops)
It's rounded a bit to look nicer, so you probably can't find a perfect equation for it. You can tell because it goes up 3/2 times as fast as regular log_10.
>>
File: 1483389715753.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1483389715753.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>52562344
Hello all, it's the All Tomorrows anon here.

I've statted out most of the races that I'm planning to use (I'll post them in the next post), but I was hoping for some help on a couple fronts.

1. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to stat the modular people. Obviously they're going to have The modular abilities advantage, but I'm unsure how to cost it. Also trying to figure out disadvantages for them.

2. I'm going to have some templates for the players. Does anyone know of any good space age templates that I could use?

3. Speaking of templates, should I attach the template to the race and let the player pick the one they want, or let them choose both? I've never really used templates before, I mostly just let my players do whatever.

Thank you in advance! I'll now begin posting the races I've statted so far.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170407-161624.png (932KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170407-161624.png
932KB, 720x1280px
>>52591392
Snake People (+/- 0 pts.)
>SM -4
>Absolute Direction (3D Spatial Sense) +10
>Tunneling (Earth Only) +15
>peripheral Vision +15
>Flexibility +15
>Terain Adaptation (uneven Ground) +5
>Terrain Adaptatiin (Undergrowth)+5
>No Legs (slithering) +/- 0
>One Arm - 20
> -5 ST -50
>>
File: Screenshot_20170407-161802.png (898KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170407-161802.png
898KB, 720x1280px
>>52591392
Killer Folk (+14)
>Claws +5
>Discriminatory Smell (Emotion Sense) +23
>Teeth +1
>+1 Move +5
>Bad Grip -5
>Bad Temper -10
>Color Blindness -10
>Hamfisted -5

Worth noting is that I occassionally extrapolated where I thought it made sense. For many of the races there just wasn't enough canonically to make something interesting. I did my best to give each race a 'Hook' that would make them fun to play, and feel somewhat different from a regular human
>>
>>52590168
Don't know, my man. Never played Watch Dogs.
I can recommend a few of the stuff I know, though.
Books:
Neuromancer
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Asimov's robot books
A Deepness in the Sky ( space sci-fi with a good cyberpunk feeling )

Anime/Movies:
Ghost in the shell
Serial experiments Lain
Ergo Proxy
Matrix (Animatrix too)
5th Element ( only a little bit of cyberpunk but good inspiration nonetheless, also I love cyberpunk in spess )

Manga:
Eden: it's an endless world
Akira
Battle Angel Alita (Gunnm)
Blame!

These are the ones I can remember from the top of my head.
Good luck.
>>
Are Increased Range and Reduced Range mutually exclusive? I know that might seem like a weird question, but since you can't reduce Max independently of 1/2D, I can't think of any other way to get an attack with Max 10 and no 1/2D without combining the two.
>>
>>52592395
I'm pretty sure that's fine. I think I have often made attacks with Increased 1/2D, +15%; Reduced Range X, -Z%.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170407-181238.png (895KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170407-181238.png
895KB, 720x1280px
>>52591392
Pterosapients (+11)
>Fit +15
>Flight (Wings) +30
>Nictitating Membrane +1
>+1 DX +20
>Increased Consumption -10
>Short Lifespan 2 -20
>Skinny -5
>-2 ST -20
>>
File: Screenshot_20170407-181650.png (513KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170407-181650.png
513KB, 720x1280px
>>52591392
Satyriacs (+13)
>Mimicry +10
>Ultraspeech +10
>Vibration Sense +10
>Lecherousness -15
>Alcohol Intolerance -1
>Congenial -1

This is the last one I have done atm. I'm planning to do the saurosapients, modular people, symbiotes and bug facers next. If you have any suggestions or thoughts let me know!
>>
>>52586838
Someone out there has to know the answer to this question...
>>
File: 1276025637702.png (87KB, 461x363px) Image search: [Google]
1276025637702.png
87KB, 461x363px
>>52593634
Surely
>>
Looks like Spaceships does scale down quite nicely. I have most of the relevant systems translated to smaller SMs, so it looks like might have an easy custom robot/battlesuit design system. Even if none of my players want to play engineers, this lets me come up with a bunch of 'bots to fill out the equipment catalog.
>>
>>52597205
The construction rules are great. I don't love them for space combat, but for 'mechs you can get a nearly Battletech level of hit tables and crunkyness on it.
>>
Is it possible to run Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay in GURPS? No one wants in my group wants to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3E and refuse to homebrew 2E for some reason.
>>
>>52597564
Yes.
>>
>>52562344
I'm running a game tomorrow, could someone help me who the modifiers for gun combat works and bleeding?

I have everything else, but my last game didn't have guns and everyone was claymations so we didn't bleed.
>>
>>52597734

Could you kindly give me some advice as to what GURPS books I need?
>>
>>52597800
No clue what you'd need for warhammer fantasy, but assuming it doesn't have shit like guns, all you need is Basic Set. Additional books that will help are Low-Tech and How to Be a GURPS GM, if it's your first time. Dungeon Fantasy might also be useful, but again, no clue what warhammer fantasy is.
>>
>>52597800
Not him, but I did WoW in Basic, Dungeon Fantasy, Low Tech, a little from High Tech for the guns, Magic and an assortment of pyramid articles to tweak it to my liking.

I suggest you do the same.
>>
File: dark elf.jpg (503KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
dark elf.jpg
503KB, 1280x1920px
>>52597800

For Warhammer Fantasy I'd say you could stick with Basic Set for the most part. Low Tech is good if you want more detailed weapons and equipment.

In general, Warhammer Fantasy is TL 4 for the Empire and Dwarves and TL 3 for Brentonia, with orcs, goblins and ect being TL 2.

There's also lots of magic-tech though, like Dwarve's steam tanks, gyrocopters, warp-cannons, ect.

For corruptive power and magic you might want GURPS: Horror. It's a very good book and offers solid options. GURPS Thamatology can be used, but doesn't need to be.

The Basic Set can handle dark fantasy REALLY well, however, so don't feel like you need to go beyond that. I'd suggest 150 and 50 points of disadvantages to allow the deeply fucked up characters typical in the setting.
>>
How would you price an unspecialized version of a skill that normally requires specialization, like Law or Area Knowledge, without being quite as versatile as a wildcard skill? Would increasing the skill difficulty by one level be about right?
>>
>>52598956
I just increased the difficulty for the skill by one step, since optional specialization lowers it by one step.
>>
>>52598956
I'd just kind of treat it as an expert skill, like Bartender.

So unspecalized Law, you'd know a little about a lot but any specific question in a specialty would be penalized. I'd make it an Average skill.

No penalty to talk about the basic theory of these things. IE: Unspecalized area knowlage. "It's a city. The area near the docks is going to be where we can find criminals and weapons"
>>
The box on Tactical Shooting pg 28 makes no sense. If shooting left-handed "means you enjoy the same protection from cover as if firing right-handed" then why would you want to shoot left-handed? Is this errata?
>>
>>52599333
You makes no sense as you ask before read.
>>
>>52599473
yeah after re-reading the box I got the message. It's late I should sleep.
>>
File: 13471306265699870031.jpg (324KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
13471306265699870031.jpg
324KB, 1500x1000px
>>52597761
If someone gets shot they lose 1 HP per minute afterward unless they pass a HT test or get bandaged by someone with First Aid.

IIRC, you stop bleeding automatically if you pass 3 HT test.

The Range/Speed table is the biggest modifier for gun combat. The option to avoid missing despite that is Aim, giving you the Acc of the gun as a bonus.
>>

For example, Requests for aid give you a -1 for costing the NPCs and a -1 if the request is dangerous to the total reaction roll.

>Influence rules for modifiers on B359 state only apply personal modifiers. Although Social Engineering rules on Influence don't make this distinction.

Am I just an idiot, or does nobody really know the answer?
>>
>>52597761
Ok, quick tip about bleeding: it only occurs once per minute. Most gun fights won't last that long, so you don't really need to worry about them.

Gun modifiers are pretty much just range, Acc if the character aimed, and Rate of Fire (RoF). Take the margin of success on an attack, divide it by the Recoil (Rcl) of the gun, and add that many extra hits, up to the number of shots fired. You always get one hit on a successful attack. E.G. An attack that succeeds by 0 scores one hit. An attack that succeeds by 4, with Rcl 2, gets (up to) 3 hits.

An enemy dodges one bullet if they dodge successfully, and one extra bullet per point of margin of success on their dodge. E.G. A dodge roll of 8 vs a Doge score of 10 dodges 3 bullets (if that many hit.)
>>
>>52602395
Social Engineering seems to imply so: "In general, reaction roll modifiers also affect Influence rolls – but not necessarily other rolls vs. Influence skills" (p. SE29). Additionally, nothing under the section on reaction rolls in SE imply that they are exempt from the above ruling.

Lastly, it just makes sense. It's easy to influence someone if you're influencing them to do something that doesn't inconvenience them or have them risk anything.
>>
I'm this >>52591392 anon, could anyone help me figure with modular abilities?

Specifically, how would you build a character whose modular abilities are organs that they can swap in and out. Would that be cheaper or more expensive than the current options?
>>
>>52602565
Going by the guidelines in Powers, I'd say it's 4/slot and then 3/point; I'm assuming the organs give a lengthy list of abilities (if not, it drops to 3/slot).

Alternatively, have each organ be treated as an external gadget with an accessibility limitation that only one gadget can be used at once. This makes each organ its own liability with (probably very little) HP and DR, so adventuring PCs will likely not want to take every organ with them wherever they go.
>>
Anyone had any experience with Mass Combat? Is it as bad as I heard?
>>
>>52602842
>Is it as bad as I heard?
If you find Tactics QC is bad, so yeah, it is bad.
>>
>>52602842
I liked it
>>
>>52602842
Like >>52602891 says, it mostly boils down to QCs of modified Tactics. However, I think it works passably well for a dramatic backdrop. If all you do is decide your strategy and then roll Tactics, yeah it's boring. A lot of time should be dedicated to describing what's happening in-character; since each MC round is really really long, you can justify an entire scene between Tactics rolls, arguing with advisors and officers, a montage through the battlefield, or even a mini-fight as an enemy unit is able to sneak into camp.

The mechanics could definitely use some work, though.
>>
How do we fix disadvantages gurpsgen?

I'm trying to create a greek hero, and I really want him to have one, gigantic, over riding weakness. But all the ones available are too small. Help? Is ther like a disadvantage multiplier I could use?
>>
>>52603151
>How do we fix disadvantages gurpsgen?
They aren't broken.
>I'm trying to create a greek hero, and I really want him to have one, gigantic, over riding weakness
>But all the ones available are too small.
Do you want disadvantage or free points?
>>
>>52603151
Self-control modifiers?

Also Greek heroes didn draw their power from their flaws; they were powerful with flaws. You need 600 points and -50 in disadvantages, not 200 points and -50 in disadvantages that are for some reason inflated up to -400.
>>
>>52600970
>>52602425
Thanks. What page is the range table on.
>>
>>52603325
B550.
>>
>>52603325
It's the giant all-purpose Speed/Range and Size table at the end of campaigns. A tiny version is also on the second page of the character sheet.
>>
If I wanted to add a small upgrade to a vehicle, say adding a turret or mount to a car, would I roll against mechanic or engineering?
>>
>>52603334
>>52603338
Thanks again. Think I'm good now.
>>
>>52603358
Engineer to design upgrade if it's anything moderately complex and you don't have plan/scheme/etc.
Mechanic to do the actual work.
>>
>>52603151
You can take as many disadvantages as you want, you just won't get character points if you exceed the limit set by GM.
>>
>>52600970
Are there any optional rules in one of the pyramid articles for bleeding if shot in the vitals or neck?
>>
>>52603449
MA138
>>
File: 651c3dec75e02e651bf3f3ae1e62cb6c.jpg (328KB, 1600x1143px) Image search: [Google]
651c3dec75e02e651bf3f3ae1e62cb6c.jpg
328KB, 1600x1143px
>>52603151

Here is an easy-to-miss entry in GURPS Powers ->

"To simulate this, select a mental disadvantage
that requires a self-control roll (e.g., Berserk or Pyromania), specify a self-control number of “N/A,” and price Temporary Disadvantage as if the disadvantage were worth 2.5 times its listed cost (drop fractions). Using the ability always causes the effects specified for a failed self-control roll.

Example: El Tigre immediately goes berserk when he uses Alternate Form (Tiger). Berserk is worth -10 points, so it’s worth -25 points if irresistible. El Tigre has a -25% limitation, and must savagely attack anyone nearby when he uses his ability!"

You can re-purpose this Limitation modifier into a general rule for Disadvantages with a Self-Control Number.

So,for example, if you had "always on" Charitable, it would cost -15 x 2.5 = -37.5 (rounded up to -38) points.
>>
>>52605724
Small nitpick, I think disadvantages round up, not down, so it'd be -37.
>>
>>52576106
On the topic of comparing humans to the other ME races:
I think Mordin says something to the effect of humans having having an abnormal level of variance. Basically, with Salarians, Krogans and so on, you can reliably make guess their rough mental and physical capabilities. If you plotted it as a graph, the distribution would be pretty narrow.
Humans on the other hand tend to be a bit more over the place, and deviance from the mean is much more common.
>>
>>52606433

In a funny touch this is super easy to simulate in GURPS. Human's 0 point race with no required advantages and disadvantages and no taboo traits will vary more then other races at the same point total.

Do Korgans ever die of old age, or is their regeneration to the point where they live until violence catches up to them?
>>
File: Ochoallal.png (118KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Ochoallal.png
118KB, 256x256px
This week, on Grimwyrd!

The group holed up in their warehouse reel in the aftermath of being ambushed by cultists. As they debate what to do about the Mindflayer parasite in Bomrek, they are visited by their friend Aachen! and his elf friend who is a healer! Shenanigans ensue, where Aachen was mortally wounded by the guys who ambushed the party last week, and everyone gets all healed up.

They use this opportunity to abuse the new friend's heal powers, and exorcise the little demonic thing from the Dorf. He chokes it up, and in less than a combat round, the party Storm-elf obliterates it with a "fast-draw arrow with lightning attack".

Good times.

In the aftermath, everyone TALKS for a good half the session of gameplay. Things are afoot:
>Aachen fell in with the Shadow Walkers; a group of elves who took up warlock like packs with dark powers when the Happening killed all magic for awhile. They're mostly hotheaded rebellious types
>they attacked The Party because they were seen colluding with Lord Marshall Geofferson, an 'enemy of the people' who is a lackey for High Lord Jadeite
>The High Lord is doing bad things at court, and is trying to seize power in the aftermath of the death of the Grey King
>oh BY THE WAY the Grey King died this week, something to do with the magic of the Grey Blade no longer sustaining him in the aftermath of the whole evil Kingdom of Gorgoth dying out. Likely the fault (again) of the magic super-weapon being used. Most blame Roderick directly.
>Aachen is not a dark evil badguy. He's just hanging out with them to meet chicks. (and not starve from magic deprivation)
>His healer friend Ochoallal is a weird combination of facist and rebel, believing in the ancient death cult of magic from the elven homeland, and well as "The weak succumb, the Strong prevail" etc. etc.

Falkirk is gonna lay low with the not-crazy cultists and watch over their prisoner while the party goes off to fuck up Geofferson, on moral grounds(also to get their back pay)
>>
What's the best way to handle Lenses in GURPS Character Sheet?

I want to make a set of templates and their lenses for my players to use.
>>
>>52607867
Also, the cultists are calling this "The age of the Wyrd Moon"! Likely based on the lime color it took on after The Party did bad things with magic.
>>
File: tumblr_o1ix07B90v1qe0nolo3_1280.jpg (43KB, 604x585px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1ix07B90v1qe0nolo3_1280.jpg
43KB, 604x585px
>>52607874
>Files
>New Template
>Put stuff into Template
>Send the Template files to players.

>>52607867
>Ally runs in to try and stop the fight between us and the other Edgelord Elf Rebels
>We already killed them all.

He was remarkably chill about that really. That wolf guy must have been a real dick.
>>
>>52607753
>Do Korgans ever die of old age, or is their regeneration to the point where they live until violence catches up to them?
Krogans are known to have Asari-length lifespan at least, but I don't know the exact details. The fact that they usually meet violent ends probably messes with any attempts to keep viable statistics.
>>
File: Angel of the Machine God.jpg (12KB, 236x317px) Image search: [Google]
Angel of the Machine God.jpg
12KB, 236x317px
I'm going to play a character in a setting where the Earth underwent a robot war style apocalypse and some humans escaped into space. These exiled "humans" were already mind uploads from the most technologically advanced country that lasted the longest against said rouge machines in the initial war. My character will be sent down on Earth to help the meat-bags against their machine overloads. How can I best use Ultra-Tech to stat out her flesh covered gynoid TL 11^ body to fight against the Reign of Steel template robots (which the GM is using for convenience)?

Pit somewhat related.
>>
>>52608083
>wolf guy must have been a real dick.
Funny thing about wolf totemists
They're always trying to Alpha Dog the group
>>
>>52609147
Hilariously enough, TL 11 doesn't tell us enough about the setting. We also need a point total and some guidelines.
>>
>>52609207
I don't think it gets much worse than an edgelord elf cultist who is also a furry.

Meanwhile Bomrek reaches new heights of autism every session.
>>
>>52608083
>Files
>New Template
This doesn't account for Lenses.

If GCS has no way of handling Lenses, that's fine, I'll make do. But I wanted to know if I missed something.
>>
>>52609222

Guidelines: The posthuman exiles have technology that is at least 200 years ahead of the AIs that are more-or-less like the Zone Minds in Reign of Steel (this is not a true Reign of steel game but the tech from said setting is being copied for this different setting). The Earth bound AIs lost all of their space capabilities long ago as the posthumans effectively rule the rest of the solar system (they don't want to destroy the Earth and now seek to help organic humans via drop pod sent soldiers).

As for points, I've been permitted up to 1500.
>>
>>52609147
Check out Transhuman Space: Changing Times for the Cyberdoll template to use as a base (or really, the Infiltration Cyberdoll model to use as a base.

In terms of pure gear, if TL11^ is available, you literally cannot go wrong with dual Grav Needlers. Or quad Grav Needlers if you've got the arms for it. A high-caliber slug-thrower (with ETC of course) can instead make you the utility guy as UT has a TON of really fun ammo options. Take some form of melee backup and add all the fun stuff to it you can afford. Speaking of melee, the mine sleeve is super fun (and super useful when fighting bots!). For defenses, a hyperspectral chameleon suit is a must going with UT's anemic approach to armor.

Beyond that, what the other guy said; point value and cinematic level?
>>
>>52609245
>Let's destroy their forces!
YEAH
>Let's intimidate the lot of them!
WOO!
>Let's cut off elven ears and mount them on our weapon pikes!
What...?
>LETS KILL ALL THE ELVES FOREVER!
Wait! No? NO!
>>
File: 6G67O4N.jpg (90KB, 640x972px) Image search: [Google]
6G67O4N.jpg
90KB, 640x972px
>>52609275
Lenses are just, in effect, small templates applied to PCs and NPCs to cover smaller effects. Just a collection of skills, advantages and disadvantages.

For examples in GCS, open

>Classes>Monster Hunters>Motivational Lenses

>>52609245
You'd think he would be nicer to the elf that gave him back the precious gift of tongue.

>>52609388
>1500

That's a lot of points. Are you sure you want to go that deep into that?
>>
>player opens door after activating alarm
>guy is waiting there with a k98
>hits him in the vitals from 2 yards away
>deals 27*3 after DR and instantly kills player
>partner shoots the other guy twice over two turns that take less than a minute combined irl

GURPS combat is something else. Jesus.
>>
>>52610996

This is why you should to go as a walking tank cyborg or keep brain backups.
>>
>>52610996
At least he wasn't a guy that got shot, slammed, and hit and the dick well past -HP.
>>
File: 1014ef.jpg (46KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
1014ef.jpg
46KB, 500x625px
>>52610996
We have a player who can regularly slam for 2d, receiving no damage himself through DR.
And he has regeneration

CHOO CHOO
>>
File: _sniper_wolf_by_ml_11mk.jpg (644KB, 728x1300px) Image search: [Google]
_sniper_wolf_by_ml_11mk.jpg
644KB, 728x1300px
>>52610996

Tell me about it. GURPS combat is so lethal, it even kills the players.
>>
File: YYdIv.png (641KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
YYdIv.png
641KB, 600x450px
>>52612557
Krogan Vanguard in that mass effect game?

>What's 300 kilos and flying up your ass at 500 meters/second?
>>
File: gurps_bunny.jpg (79KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
gurps_bunny.jpg
79KB, 400x500px
>>52562344

Hi GURPS newfag here :

I came here because I am genuinely interested about getting into GURPS (especially GURPS 4th edition)

I am not interested in GURPS because of the realism (even though it's still nice) but because of his reputation as a highly Modular RPG.

I have GURPS Basic set, GURPS lite and GURPS ultra-lite.

Should I begin with GURPS lite (or ultralite) and then switch to basic set or should I begin with basic set right away ?
>>
Star with Lite, then Basic Set.

Even though "heroic realism" is default assumption, many genre supplements (Action, Dungeon Fantasy, Monster Hunters) are generally much more cinematic.
>>
File: Knight_blue_nohelmet.jpg (168KB, 464x761px) Image search: [Google]
Knight_blue_nohelmet.jpg
168KB, 464x761px
>>52610996
>>52612856
Oh man this sounds perfect. I've been looking for a system with extremely high lethality. D&D's hours-long combats just don't do it for me anymore.

How hard is it to get into GURPS?
>>
File: 41225117_p0.jpg (267KB, 892x633px) Image search: [Google]
41225117_p0.jpg
267KB, 892x633px
Does GURPS have rules for underwater combat?

>>52609893
There's nothing wrong with killing all elves, though.
>Let's stick out my parasite-tongue and literally toss coins at some guy who might be a healer!
>Let's force-feed the elf who saved me some rancid alcohol!

>>52610273
Well, that was “nice” in his unique way, I think.
>>
>>52614392
Pyramid 3-26
>>
>>52614257
The real question is howvhard is to get others into gurps
>>
>>52614257

Not hard at all. The system is essentially "Roll 3d6 and meet or go below the target number". You needn't bother trying to figure out specific modifiers either. The standard "-10 to +10" Task Difficulty Modifiers work fine most of the time and help to keep the game moving with very few speedbumps.
>>
File: 60003165_p0.jpg (2MB, 1400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
60003165_p0.jpg
2MB, 1400x2400px
>>52614600
Excellent, thanks.
>>
File: 1490075437870.png (308KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1490075437870.png
308KB, 512x512px
>>52614703
Sweet, sounds simple enough. Thanks anon!
>>
>>52614045
Yeah, I'd start with Lite. When you go to the full version, you may want to grab a few extra things that cut down on simulationist bookkeeping (but still keeps things modular).

Action 2: Exploits gives really solid advice on parsing GURPS down to keep it fast and action-y. It favors simplified "action flic reality."

Power-Ups: Wildcards can be a godsend. A big complaint about GURPS is the sheer size of the skill list and how specialized each skill is e.g. you've got Filch, Pickpocket, and Sleight of Hand which most systems would simplify into one skill. An easier approach is Wildcard skills that mashes a bunch of related skills into one overskill e.g. a burglar needs Burglar!, not 14 different skills. It also combos well with the default skill system; if you want a competent burglar that's exceptionally good at picking locks, you would have both Burglar! and Lockpocking. In other words, including Wildcard skills alongside regular skills cuts down on bookkeeping when desired but preserves fine-tuning and modularity otherwise.

Powers gives more options. 'Nuff said.
>>
>Need to find black market guns
Roll Streetwise
>Need to find hooker for lechersnous or something to steal for kletpo, etc...
Roll Streetwise
>Need to find a fence for goods and treasures
Roll Streetwise
>Need to find this certain Mafia boss or crooked cop
Roll Streetwise
>Need to influence gangsters for a good reaction
Roll Streetwise
>Need to know the location of all the local bars
Roll Streetwise

What is the most OP skill and why is it Streetwise?
>>
>>52616089
>location of all the local bars
>Streetwise
What?

Also, it only looks OP if you are street scum.
>>
>>52614257
Sometimes the rules are written in a way that makes them seem a lot harder than they actually are. So beyond that it should be easy to figure out.
>>
>>52616637
Yeah, there's occasionally shit that's over worded or obtusely worded that ends up being real clear in the end

Like rate if fire bonuses, or high speed.
>>
What's the penalty for drawing and firing on the same turn?
>>
>>52616738
Depends on your brand of houserules

There's gradients of issues with it. Tactical shooting would say it's "unaimed", anyone with Gunslinger would scarcely give two shots, and some GM's would make it a random hit location shot as well as ruling it was a "move and shoot" costing you a penalty of Bulk to the shot.

Otherwise, I would rule "if you fast draw and succeed, take a shot. Centre mass only."
>>
>>52616984
I think I'll apply the bulk penalty unless you fast draw. Thanks.
>>
File: 1273179076180.jpg (56KB, 526x389px) Image search: [Google]
1273179076180.jpg
56KB, 526x389px
>>52617192
>>
>>52609388
>1500 points
The hell I'm supposed to do with that much?
The most "powerful" character I've ever made cost 800 and I run out of ideas what to do next
>>
>>52614045
Keep in mind, the simulationism (or "realism" as you call it) is what allows it to be so modular. It starts with reality as its base line, and then you can change things from there to taste.

One recommendation I'll make is that you come up with a specific focus for what you want your campaign to be about and the tone you want for it, and then cut out absolutel anything that doesn't jive precisely with that. GURPS is all about GM control, so you're going to have to be very particular about what you allow

>>52617611
What was the character?
>>
>>52618460
An incorporeal Super
>>
>>52582279
I've got a text only/gridded combat Dungeon Fantasy game on roll 20 that was ***supposed*** to be for beginners, I can send you an invite and you may feel free to interrupt the game with questions or make a character for the next session if you enjoyed it.
>>
>>52609388
You're a mind upload right? I would spend some of those points on Possession and Duplication with the digital limitations, then hacking skill assuming you're using cinematic hacking. Hack enemy robots, upload copies of yourself into them, and assemble a small robot army.
>>
>>52617192
Drawing a weapon takes a ready manuever in and of itself, so you CANT draw and shoot in the same round UNLESS you have fast draw for that specific weapon and you roll under your skill level.

If you succeed then you are allowed to fire as normal if you fail then its a normal ready manuever, and you can only attack on your next turn.
>>
>>52562577

I ran across a neat Cabal/Reign of Steel crossover a while back.
>>
>>52609147

Well, starting from the TL11 combat android will be a good start.

Then add a few stylish ^ technologies.

Grav Guns are awesome for raw killing power delivered by a spear of burning atmosphere.
Graviton Beams are great for taking down super-heavy targets by ignoring armour.
Force Beams are non-lethal-ish, and throw things around - so you can kill a robot with another robot!

A Gravitic Compensator will let you use barely man-portable weapons with ease.

I'd stay away from nanoweapons, but assembler swarms would let you resupply by eating your robot prey.

Nanothorn blades and Force Screen Braclets are compact and effective.

For dealing with humans - a neural disruptor is very versatile.

TL11 stealth tech is a must - and possibly a nuclear damper+light force screen mounted on a hoverbike. With a bike, you could add a couple of missile racks and an anti-missile laser turret or two. It would also let you haul around a power source and compact assembler kit, for repairs and reloads.
>>
>>52609893
Are you playing with Lady Four from Drakengard 3?
>>
>>52616089
That's not Area Knowledge?
>>
File: 1471108205227.jpg (375KB, 564x800px) Image search: [Google]
1471108205227.jpg
375KB, 564x800px
>>52622394
I find that an apt description of Bomrek the dwarf...
>>
>>52620239
>[email protected]
Thanks, senpai.
>>
>>52577888
>>52577932
>hardcore introduction to GURPS combat
>have players fight a god damn ox
I love this

Best thing is, with appropriate team grappling and dirty tricks, techniques and whatnot, a party of 4 strong chars might be able to take it down too
>>
>>52622854
Just ended for this week, but we are coming into a boss battle that might be interesting to watch. I'll send you an invite link, and maybe you can watch the next session in approximately a week.
>>
File: 1489291276849.png (321KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1489291276849.png
321KB, 600x600px
I need your help urgently, /gurpsgen/.
I desire to run a JoJo campaign, but my homebrew skills are lacking. How can I best represent「Stands」using GURPS?
>>
>>52622949
A lot of them are allies with supernatural powers. Especially Summonable (call them up immediately anywhere) and Reflexive (Even when it isn't your turn so that they can do something) and often have perks for sacrificial dodge and parry.
Some of them are standard power abilities.
Some of them will give you advantages with the "Granted by Familiar, -40%" limitation.
>>
>>52622949
Basically no stand has fixed rules. you got to make the gimmick first and then build a stand around it.
Exemples:
Aerosmith:
Create a flying drone with machineguns
20th century boys
Special DR infinity armor that allows don't breath don't eat

Than you stat them as character and make the cannot be seen by someone who doesn't posses stands, can be attacked only by other stands, injuries entanglement, ecc...
>>
>>52623113
I prefer Alternate Form (Projection) for that built-in damage feedback with Compartmebtalized Mind with Cosmic to let both forms be active simultaneously.
>>
File: The Accountant.pdf (25KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The Accountant.pdf
25KB, 1x1px
So a mental exercise for you:
Find this character a job using things as they are, knowing you are a random nobody with no contacts in an jidai-geki/anime spoof-game.

GM handled us a "hat" with cards to draw, I ended up with this. I can't change anything about the character and while the PC by itself doesn't suck (others picked worse), I still hardly see how I'm suppose to make money with salarywoman in an outright parody of jidai-geki. Parody or not, you still need cash.

Also, the gizmo has a restriction for not being electronics.
>>
>>52623513

Oldest Profession

Pass herself off as a spirit or some other strange creature--especially one trying to convert to Buddhism.
>>
File: 1491701886539.png (920KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1491701886539.png
920KB, 1024x1024px
Alright /gurpsgen/ help me out
My local uni has a gaming club. People mostly play board games and magic there. I've been wanting to get a GURPS game going for a while, and this seems like a good place for it.

I know what type of game I want to run, I'm just not sure how to handle character creation. Ordinarily I let players make whatever, but I'm tempted to just make a bunch of characters and let the players pick one since almost no one in the club has any legit RPG experience.

Thoughts? I'd like to leave some room for customization, but I feel like it might take too much time and run out everyone's attention span
>>
>>52624027
Make some templates for character ideas you have and then have a session 0 to customize the templates and characters to what your players want.
>>
>>52623513
You've got Merchant, Finances and Gardening - talk with some farmers, barter with them or even help them organise some sort of market. That should give you some starting funds or at least a favour from them.
Or - if you can - try to pull a peddling scheme, where you con the farmers to sell things to X at "good price", and then X will sell this stuff to Y with your help, paying you some cut out of it

Alternatively, both Housekeeping and Cooking are high enough to just work as a servant/maid/server/waitress. And if that's a job in some joint, then the owner might appriciate clean book-keeping for some extra cash.

>>52623920
>Selling your ass when 2/3 of skills are about money-making
>>
>>52623920
>Oldest Profession
But there are no thieving skills on that list
>>
>>52623513
>>52623920
Yeah, prostitution is the only way to go with those skills. Can't be helped.
>>
>>52623513
When in doubt - prostitute yourself.

If you have just about any funds, simply put all those trading skills into use. Hell, you even have talent for those. Your character has modern day cutthroat capitalism theory against people who use weight of rice as their currency. It doesn't really take a genius to realise how easy it is to manipulate.

Also, like >>52624466 said, you can always work as a servant. Still better than just spreading legs.
>>
File: 1430976401644.jpg (1MB, 850x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1430976401644.jpg
1MB, 850x1280px
>>52623513
>Ponzi scheme
>Insurance saleswoman
>Best fucking clerk ever
>Ojou-sama wife

The last one is an interesting chance, as traditionally would manage the household and finances for a household. Between Appearance, Makeup, Housekeeping and Gardening she's set to impress with lots of solid 'good wife' skills, but it's the brutal way she could leverage even a relatively small fortune into a much bigger pile of money that would be amusing.
>>
>>52623513
>the highest skills are all either gardening or accounting related

I'll take a swing at accountant and call the prostitute guy a fucking moron.
>>
>>52624770
I think the prostitution is some sort of meme, given most of people followed it with solid advice
>>
>>52624466
>Cooking are high enough to just work as a servant/maid/server/waitress

Not if she doesn't know how to cook Japanese dishes.

Yeah, merchanting is possible, but I'm concerned with A) The lack of cash in the warring states era--more barter than not. and B) she looks REALLY foreign and exotic

>>52624770

Language issue, and you know, being FEMALE

>>52624505
That's not the oldest profession
>>
>>52624727
>>Ponzi scheme
>When a Boston financial writer suggested there was no way Ponzi could legally deliver such high returns in a short period of time, Ponzi sued for libel and won $500,000 in damages
That would be roughtly $5.4 million today and is my favourite part of Ponzi's exploits
>>
File: tumblr_oft6w5dVds1rl7s4eo1_500.gif (757KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oft6w5dVds1rl7s4eo1_500.gif
757KB, 480x270px
>>52624770
Accountant wasn't a real profession for women in Edo period Japan, note that his game is jidai geki.

With her looks and smarts an office girl could work her way from prostitute to running the place pretty fast, but to use those financial skills she'd either have to find someone that would take her seriously or make her own seed money.

A female clerk is pretty iffy, but with some bandages wrapped around her chest, a stupid haircut and a heavy komono she could pass off as a pretty boy and look for a job that way. She'd need to pick up some Acting skills fast, but given the parody setting that could be a lot of fun.
>>
>>52623920
>>52624466
>>52624519
>>52624614
>>52624727
>>52624770
>>52624856
>>52624891
Whoah, thanks a lot GURPS friends!

So I guess it's about going for ojou-sama archetype on the long run, pyramid schemes on a short, most likely both, which is where I was aiming (at least the ojou-sama part as goal). But I had no idea how to first get some starting cash and I hate while our GM frowns upon stuff like "well, I roll for Finances to get money!", as that's just bullshit.
The major barrier for me was figuring out how to work around the "female in feudal Japan", but I guess it's to be embraced rather than avoided.

And details for clarity:
- it's Edo period, so (almost) no worries about war and bartering
- the character starts with kimono and nothing else; zero money or anythning of any real value
- the language isssues are completely skipped due to the nature of the spoof (the other characters from the hat involved a pretty diverse cast)
>>
Guys, Telespeak.

I can have Multiplicity Telerecive, but I can't have telerecive. What do? My character is mute [-25], I need to be able to talk.

I've pitched to the GM that I'll take Cosmic and just toss out the skills.
>>
>>52625150
>I need to be able to talk.
Have you considered removing the Mute disadvantage?
>>
File: apply.jpg (22KB, 493x335px) Image search: [Google]
apply.jpg
22KB, 493x335px
>>52625162
>>
>>52622355

Thanks, I'll have a drown ally carry the bigger guns via that Gravitic Compensator.

What TL 11 stuff can I use to hack the TL 10 robots and avoid being hacked by the Zone Mind like AIs on Earth?
>>
>>52625495
*drone
>>
>>52625495
If you've got the points and a willing GM, just bust open Psionic Powers for some cyber-hacker abilities.
>>
>>52625085
A woman with those skills, and anything remotely involving a spine, could find a man to go into business with and act as a front even in the Edo. There is no need for her to be a prostitute unless the player wants to go that route, and even then it's not the easy route.
>>
>>52622355

Could I justify the Telekinesis advantage as being TL 11^ technology?
>>
>>52625085
>And details for clarity:
>- it's Edo period, so (almost) no worries about war and bartering
>- the character starts with kimono and nothing else; zero money or anythning of any real value
>- the language isssues are completely skipped due to the nature of the spoof (the other characters from the hat involved a pretty diverse cast)

Definitely a prostitute, then.
>>
>>52609147
>>52609388
>>52622355
>1500 point char with TL11(^)
Jesus Christ

I don't know whether to be hard or weep for the poor GM.
(..mostly hard tho. ..but I suspect it's that damn gorgeous android)
>>
File: 1422927657149.jpg (56KB, 705x973px) Image search: [Google]
1422927657149.jpg
56KB, 705x973px
>>52616089

>Need to find black market guns
Streetwise can only tell you if someone sells guns around you and let you contact them.

>Need to find hooker for lechersnous or something to steal for kletpo, etc...
Streetwise can find hidden illegal vices, like drugs and prostitutes. In most settings and places finding a prostitute does not require a roll, they advertise. Streetwise can't help you find something to steal.

>Need to find a fence for goods and treasures
It will put you into contact. Good use of the skill.

>Need to find this certain Mafia boss or crooked cop
Nope. You could get a sense of who they are, but Streetwise won't let you find them. Just give you a path to get into contact.

>Need to influence gangsters for a good reaction
That's what it is for

0%. That's Area Knowledge. Unless bars are illegal you can't even use streetwise to get into touch with someone that knows the location of all the local bars, other then accidentally.

Streetwise isn't "do anything shady".
>>
>>52625689
>Definitely a prostitute, then.

Except then she can literally be killed by her pimp the moment she acts out. It was legal to kill women you 'owned' or where married to in the Edo period. It's safer to lay low until she can find a guy to use as a beard, and gain power for herself. Eventually if the beard decides to grow a spine, she can send a couple of ultra-loyal shirtless guys to beat him until he remembers his place. Being a prostitute in certain times and places is very dangerous, former soviet bloc countries and Edo period japan come to mind.
>>
File: armor.jpg (61KB, 415x576px) Image search: [Google]
armor.jpg
61KB, 415x576px
Help me out /GG/, I'm not sure how armor should work.

Let's say you have a swordsman and a dude in plate. The swordsman swings with all his moght at the dude in plate. The platemail absorbs however many points of DR it has. All well and good.

The problem is that a strong enough swordsman could actually bust open the armor/dent it/hot the dude in plate hard enough to deal damage. This seems intuitively wrong to me. Shouldn't the sword at least shatter?

Same with an archer. An arrow shouldn't be able to pierce armor no matter how strong the archer is. So what's happening? Are my instincts right? Or am I misunderestimating armor? If I'm right, are there any alternate rules I could use to make things a touch more realistic?
>>
>>52626824
>The problem is that a strong enough swordsman could actually bust open the armor/dent it/hot the dude in plate hard enough to deal damage. This seems intuitively wrong to me. Shouldn't the sword at least shatter?

Blunt force trauma. Also check the material of the sword vs the armor.

>Same with an archer. An arrow shouldn't be able to pierce armor no matter how strong the archer is.

There are rules about targeting 'chinks' in armor, too.
>>
File: deep penetration.png (97KB, 532x261px) Image search: [Google]
deep penetration.png
97KB, 532x261px
>>52626824
>>
>>52626824

Arrows can penetrate some armor, especially at short range. In close combat it's unlikely for plate or chain to be cut though but not unheard of, most armor consist of only 2-6mm iron or steel that might have manufacturing or alloying flaws. Wrought iron can be quite brittle and prone to break.

Swords on the other hand were almost always made from steel, and would be harder and more durable then armor wire or plate.
>>
>>52562344

Is there a GM screen for 4th edition in the MEGA pack ? I'm looking for the PDF to download but I can't find it.
>>
>>52628831
>>
>>52628938

I thank thee my lord and savior but I wonder, Where have you found this piece ?
>>
>>52629905
I could of sworn I got it from the Mega, but that was a long time ago.

Pre-PDF OP days.
>>
>>52624727
Ponzi scheme has two major disadvantages: you need starting money to pay back initial few investors and you need time. Also, the bigger it gets, the harder it becomes to disappear one day with all that money
>>
>>52562344
Two questions:
1. Is there a convenient quick reference table/document which can be used to help estimate/eyeball/generate NPC and monster stats on the fly, for those of us just getting into GURPS?

2. Any tips on gauging how dangerous a combat encounter is for a character or party in GURPS, for those of us without a good sense of "what can the group handle"?

I've been skimming the PDF, and just bought a few of the books on Amazon, theyre scheduled to arrive Tuesday.
>>
>>52629934
There is old mega trove. It doesn't have 3e books, and it wasn't updated since 8x-something pyramid, but it has more recent versions of some books.
>>
>>52629967
I make all my NPC's the hard way, and I can't recall for number 1, but I can help with the second one.

When it comes to making an encounter for the group, you want to make it not only internally consistent with the rest of the world and a realistic threat in response to the player's actions, but you want there to be enough enemies to naturally gravitate to a brawl where people are all fighting either by themselves, or in pairs. Single enemies work fine if you give them ways to keep people out of the fight, or keep the fight going through abilities. A good solo-fight to draw from in that regard is something like D&D 5e's Strahd. The mechanics of the fight are generally trash, but the design ideas behind it are pretty good. Otherwise they tend to gang up on them and pulverize them.
>>
>>52629967
>Any tips on gauging how dangerous a combat encounter is for a character or party in GURPS, for those of us without a good sense of "what can the group handle"?

Weapons fucking hurt in this system, considering Shock, Major injuries, and other maneuvers you can make. Do not be shocked if one shots happen if people are armed. Also things like this: >>52577888
>>
>>52623513
Although this character lacks Acting and Propaganda, you can simply try to con people by "selling" information. You know, you need that 1000 bucks now, or the opportunity to make trade in the nearby town will go away, as you are leaving in few hours to still get some investment done. All this trick requires is a gullible and/or greedy people.
If you never plan to return to the place, just take the money and run.
>>
>>52577888
>>52577547
The problem is that GURPS combat is fundamentally different from D&D combat. Sure, characters don't have lots of HP and will go down easily if hit, but actually hitting someone is fucking hard. Thing is, the GURPS combat is all about keeping your defenses high and reducing enemy defenses, and the former is much easier than latter. Defensive options are very obvious - players will immediately make a beeline for Combat Reflexes, Retreat, shields, and in worst case scenario they will find Telegraphic Attack in MA and think "Oooh, +4 to attack roll sounds suh-weet, and +2 to enemy defense is probably no big deal", while exactly opposite is true. But when they see Feint, they will cross to the opposite side of the street and look the other way while walking past it. "Ewww, sacrificing entire turn just to reduce enemy defenses? I'll just attack him another time and hope that he will fail to defend". If you pit two inexperienced players against each other, you will see hundred turns of nothing but steps, regular attacks and dodge and retweets. Gunplay is probably even worse in this regard because it is very easy to ramp up some huge penalties from range and enemy cover, defense-reducing options are rare, and no one but snipers will ever aim.
>>
>>52630414
Not sure if you are that guy (because you could), but this anon summed GURPS combat mechanics in hands of greenhorns perfectly: >>52577888
>>
>>52630414
>no one but snipers will ever aim
I think this has different problem. People will aim and take their time with guns, but only in lower TLs, solely because they live under the impression low-tech guns are the only one inaccurate and requiring arming. As soon as you roll to TL6 and above, people stop aiming, because they assume modern guns don't come with any penalties and you know, are modern.
I've seen this shit going with the same group of people, who were just pure murder in TL4 campaign, gunning down anyone and anything with methodical pattern... and then getting their ass served each time in TL7-9 campaigns whenever gunplay was involved, until I pretty much forced them to read Tactical Shooting, as it was getting simply tiresom to GM.
>>
>>52630460
I think the whole thing has a slightly different reasoning behind. With Low-Tech guns it's faster to take aim, fire, pick another gun from the ground, take aim, fire it and reach for another gun, than reload the frst one. Which means people want to be 200% sure their shot will count.
The moment magazines, clips and any form of repeating fire gun rolls in, people are more willing to fire blindly, because they can do so each turn, so there is always a chance they will hit something.

Same shit happens with poorly trained conscripts IRL ever since semi-automatic weapons became a thing, so it's nothing strange when it happens with players, who in 99% cases never fired a gun in their life.
>>
>>52577888
can you share the stats for the animal?
>>
>>52630508
Not him, but an ox will most likely have just ST between 17 to 20...
... and that's all when it comes to combat-useful elements. It's a dumb animal and not even a predator. But since I've killed my players once by a group of monkeys throwing sticks and stones, I don't find that story that hard to believe.
>>
>>52630460
I cut my teeth playing a TL 3 archer and learned very well to take my time and make sure I had a good position when firing, so I could load and aim before I'd fire.

High tech guns feel like a crazy luxury. I can get off an aimed shot every other second! I can shoot prone! No Fast Draw (Ammo) every shot!

In any case.. I feel like you can beat this lesson into players with a shootout at 100 meters. People that blaze away get picked off by aimed shots from people that don't.

>>52630573
Draft horses have an ST of 25. I'd imagine oxen could be given 22 to 24 or so. Kilo for kilo draft horses are stronger then oxen, but they aren't quite as heavy.
>>
>>52630414
They dont understand how bonuses stacking works.
>say anima/rolemaster counters are OP
>ask why
>because you get bonuses!!
>mfw attacking multiple times post succesful defense is mathematicallt better by far and counters exist to stop barrage of attacks raping your defenses
They try to use aimed attacks without a way to leverage it too.
>>
>>52630508
Page 460, basic set

ST 27; DX 8; IQ 3; HT 12.
Will 12; Per 10; Speed 5; Dodge 8;
Move 4.
SM +2 (3 hexes); 2,500 lbs.
Traits: Domestic Animal; DR 2 (Skull only); Enhanced Move 1 (Ground Speed 8); Impaling Striker (Horns); Neutered; Quadruped; Weak Bite.
Cost: $1,500.
>>
>>52630780
>neutered
>>
>>52630786
Takes away the Carousing approach of defeating it, clearly.
>>
>>52630678
My preferred method of teaching players and testing their PCs is to pit them against their own PCs, but controlled by my. Both sides have the same stats, the same gear and are put in perfectly mirror environment. Then I explain every move I make, step by step.

Roughtly 3/4 of all such test plays end up with TPK, unless they learn on their moves rather than trying to do what they've initially wanted to.
>>
>>52625162

And here I was saying how you guys are nice.
>>
>>52628831
NTA

It's in the play Aides folder
>>
>>52629967
I'm this >>52577888 anon.
The only surefire way to make sure that playees don't die is to give them an overwhelming numbers advantage, along with the element of surprise.

>>52630025 has a good suggestion. If going against humans, don't usually give the players more than 2-on-1 odds or you're gonna have a bad time.

A good rule of thumb ing general is to look at the combat skill of the opponent.
>SL 10-11: speedbump
>SL12-15: threat
>SL16+: watch out

Personally though, I wouldn't worry about any of this. The best way to place enemies is to put them where it would make sense to put them, then let your players come up with solutions. Never have an idea in your head of how a fight is going to go down, because your players might come up with something incredibly clever (as they should when their lives are on the line).

Someone earlier in the thread I think mentioned that a clever fighter would be able to overcome a vampire lord, not just because of their level but with their smarts. Let your players drop the chandelier on Strahd so to speak. It'll be epic
>>
>>52629967
>>52631507
>2. Any tips on gauging how dangerous a combat encounter is for a character or party in GURPS, for those of us without a good sense of "what can the group handle"?
Yes, get Pyramid 3-77: Combat
The whole issue is good, but the "It's a Threat!" article explains EXACTLY how to calculate how threatening something is to the party.

Alternately, pick up GURPS Action 1 and 2, Action explains how to do action with GURPS in a smooth slick fast way.
The idea of BAD (Basic abstract difficulty) is great. Basically, you set a BAD rating for a scene or adventure. Enemies have skills equal to 10+BAD, and all skill checks have a penalty equal to the BAD. (Except in combat)
a BAD of 0 is trival, 2 is somewhat challenging for low levels, 3 more so. 5 is challenging for experienced adventurers, etc.
>>
>>52630678
>>52630836
I wrote this here a while ago, half for myself, half for others. It might be a bit innaccurate, but there's the summary section at the end for quick ref. Spotting and IDing enemies is something to keep your players on your toes. It also lets you run large battles because you only need to keep track of actions & movements of enemies that have noticed the PCs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fp374iv07e21fz4/GURPS%20gunpost.md?dl=0
>>
>>52631612
>"It's a Threat!"
In game it is more useless than d&dish CR crap.
Or at least in games where enemies are something more than brainless punchbag.
>>
>>52630460
Nah, people aim with low-tech weapons because they have only one shot, and they want to make it count. Or, in case of bows - you have already spent a turn notching the arrow, you may as well spend another turn making sure you didn't waste it.
>>
>>52631775
To be fair, it IS meant for Dungeon Fantasy. And NOTHING is more useless than CR.
>>
>>52633136
Even in DF, it falls apart once magic gets involved, to name but the most blatant failing.
>>
>>52629967
Best of luck with trying it out, anon!
It's always such a nice feeling when you get new books

>>52630922
Nah, he wasn't actually being salty, you know. If you truly want to be able to "talk", without any game-mechanical limitations (except flavour here and there), you would be better off not taking Mute, and rather take a quirk ("Speaks Telepathically").

Every ad and disad in GURPS is about changing something game-mechanically. Hence why Telespeak works very differently than normal speech. If you want your character to communicate practically the same way as others speak, only using his mind, then this doesn't change things up very much in a game-mechanical sense.
(That being said, if you're willing to learn, adjust to, and constantly use, the Telespeak rules and have Mute, go for it!)
>>
>>52630025
>>52630131
>>52631507
>>52631612
>>52633896
Thanks for the combat advice.

Anybody have this on quick skill and statistic benchmarks for when I need to spit out an NPC or enemy on the spot?
>>
>>52634802
Well, I stat out their primary attributes first, more or less winging it (careful not to be too generous with stats, though--even a "normal" human can be dangerous as hell when wielding a weapon he's skilled in!). I don't care about points here, I just stat as apropriate (e.g. an ordinary store clerk: ST 9, DX 10, IQ 11, HT 10).
Resist the urge here to give NPCs "extreme" and "characteristic" stats. Keep it close to the norm unless the NPC is -special-.
Then a few quick skills, first those immediately relevant to the NPC's role/profession.
Again, don't worry about points here, just think about the final level of the skill ("this mercenary captain will have Broadsword-15, Brawling-14, Shield-13", etc.). Also flesh out some auxillary skills if you need/feel like it ("Intimidation-13, Leadership-12, Hobby Skill (Chess)-11, etc.
Here you have to be a bit careful, though. Keep in mind the standards given in the Basic Set - Characters: If someone has 14 in a skill, they're pretty good at it, and 15 is reaching expert levels (depending on skill, of course: someone with Connoisseur(Etheric aura patterns)-15 will be more of an expert than someone with Brawling-15, due to rarity.)

Sometimes, I do a quick mental round of concept/quitkyness too, to give the NPC some identity, but not with truly minor NPCs.

Do this to rough out a quick "sketch" of the NPC, and build on it (preferably beforehand, but you can tweak and add in-game too, if it's a minor NPC, and as long as the players won't notice. (Try to avoid it if you can, though.)

Bottom line: Don't think points, think abilities. In time, you'll get a good feel too of how various levels of abilities work, and how powerful they are.To begin with, keep it on the safe/low-powered side. (Better for the players to be surprised by an easy(/"lucky") win, than be TPK'd by the mayor's chamberlain or something.)
>>
>>52635024
I knew it was a matter of abilities over points, I'm more unsure of what each ability level represents, and therefore not sure what is an appropriate number level for different things, for different types of beast or NPC.
>>
>>52623513
>Accountant
>12 HT
>12 Hiking, Running and Swimming
>Also 12 Mechanic for motobikes

Have I've missed something? Or it's part of the joke made by your GM?

Also, short-con people to get initial cash, then use your skills to turn that into big pile of money. And getting male "assistant", preferably in form of one of the other PCs, will make things much easier for you and your party.
>>
>>52635556
Yeah I hear you.. Took some time for me to get that feel too. Check out the example animals/beasts in Campaigns. It's nice to see how the devs envisioned various animals and beasts. Gives you some perspective.
The rest will come with experience as you play. I.e. knowing just how effective Combat Reflexes is, or knowing just how much tougher someone with DR 6 gear is than someone with DR 4 gear.
(And realizing how ridiculously important/powerful having a high HT score is. Giving a "boss" a HT of 14 might just make your players shake their heads in disbelief because of how long he can keep going.)

Another quick tip (although dependent on setting): Roleplay your NPCs realistically by roleplaying them unoptimized combat-wise. I.e., have those without Combat Reflexes "chicken out" and Evaluate many turnes even if it doesn't give them any benefits (they're scared, stalling, etc..) Have NPCs use one (or more) rounds in All-Out Defense after seeing something frightening or awesome. Have them fear for their lives. Have the NPCs sometimes use less-than-optimal tactics, and make it obvious it's because they're frightened, stressed, raging, etc.
As long as it's believeable and not over the top, this'll make things a whole lot more immersive. (And might lead to the players, too, realizing a thing or two about sparing people, mercy, etc. Instead of things being just black and white.)

..Besides, it'll scare their balls off when they encounter that band of grizzled elite veteran mercs (or the unfazeable undead assassin wraith).
>>
>>52633896
>"talk", without any game-mechanical limitations
>(That being said, if you're willing to learn, adjust to, and constantly use, the Telespeak rules and have Mute, go for it!)

I don't mind at all! The problem is that RAW Telespeak doesn't get Telerecive ability, but it DOES get the multiplicity Telerecive ability--which is a technique on Telerecive which I Don't get to fucking have.

So at what level does my multiplicity Telerecive start?
>>
>>52636429
Oh. Hmm... Alright, lemme eat dinner first and then I'll check it out.
>>
>>52636429
Usually, Mute psis use Telesend, and let others talk back to them using their voices (they aren't Deaf, after all).

Anyway, you need to buy the Telesend and Telereceive skills separately and in addition to the Telespeak ability (which is just a leveled, packaged form of various advantages).
You don't "get" Multiplicity from Telespeak, you "get access" to it.
After buying the appropriate skills, your Multiplicity (Telereceive) technique is then calculated as normal from your Telereceive skill, so Telereceive-5. (..which you of course can buy up.)

(Keep in mind that the detailed rules are for situations that require them: Most often, when casually talking and whatnot, the GM won't bother having you roll for anything, in the interest of avoiding tedium.)
>>
>>52635690
Have you ever heard about people having hobbies? I'm a drafter by trade and I spend every moment I can on the high sea, sailing. Hell, if it was more financially feasible, I would be drafring as a free-lancer from a yacht rather than keeping an office job.
And you can't just throw it under "Physical hobby: Sailing", since I've got a bunch of certificates and experience in the field far beyond what hobby skills represent. I even know how to fix (or MacGyver a fix) Volvo Penta sea-worthy engines just because I sail.
>>
>>52637225

Okay, that makes a bit more sense. Though now I'm wondering if the GM would let me get away with trying to hack together something from mindlink.
>>
>>52637666
>hacking something together from Mindlink
Hehe, yeah I was thinking the same thing when I typed it up actually.. (Glanced quickly at some Modular Ability options, but it's probably going to be too expensive.)

Granted, looking at the Telespeak ability and such, there's a lot of inspiration there in how the devs have tweaked and mangled various advantages.

No matter what you end up with, I hope you guys have fun
>>
>>52637750
>Hehe, yeah I was thinking the same thing when I typed it up actually.. (Glanced quickly at some Modular Ability options, but it's probably going to be too expensive.)

Eh, I'm already sinking almost 50 points into it between Telespeak 3 and the skills.

Mindlink and Cosmic "Can Reset individuals with telesend skill roll" and limitations on distance?

>No matter what you end up with, I hope you guys have fun

It's an IOU campaign. *grins*
>>
>>52638349
>already at 50 points
Hmm, damn. Then I guess you could go with Mindlink and Cosmic something, yeah (provided you GM lets you)

>IOU campaign
Oh shit, haha
Damn, now I want to play GURPS
>>
>>52630786
>>52630780
Well, it's a steer. They are by definition neutered. Only a madman would try to train a bull to pull a plow.
>>
>>52638442
>Hmm, damn. Then I guess you could go with Mindlink and Cosmic something, yeah (provided you GM lets you)

Here's what I kludged:

Mindlink 2-9 people [10]
Broadcast [+50%] B91
Telepathic [-10%] B70
Transferable: Any Living Being [+150%] P78
Must Be Willing or Helpless [-50%] P78
Reduced Range 10 [-30%] B115

21 points, but I need to make an IQ roll to establish a connection

Hell, even if I slap a 50% Cosmic: This is Kosher and another for rolling a skill instead of IQ, it's still cheaper than telespeak--I bet I could grab Telesend for shouting out if I wanted to

>Oh shit, haha

IOU, what everyone wants to play but few people have the will to run

>Damn, now I want to play GURPS

Like you didn't before!
>>
Sup GURPS friends, I know it's late, but it's the only option.

I'm currently trying to convert new GM to GURPS (I'm not his player, I'm another GM and we exchange tips). He was running rule-light stuff so far and absolutely hates when he needs to improvise some complex rules. So naturally I've suggested him Lite, but that doesn't mesh well with the whole "no need for improvisation" and I don't want to scare him away with saying book called "Basic" has 800 pages or him finding out on his own.

Any suggestions or arguments to both hit the "rule light" and "as crunchy as you need for it to be" marks?
>>
>>52639781

Lite has everything you use 90% of the time, and then the weird rules you can look up in the 800 Basic. Or get more complex and look it up in another book (that's clearly labeled) for even more in detail rules.

Lite: Rules you're using 90% of the time
>Usual game play

Basic Set: All the Rules for the remaining 9.9%
>player shenanigans results in them stealing weapons from the time traveling kill squad

Other books: For the assholes who want EVEN MORE INFORMATION,
>Player wants to play a psionic, vs a character that has some psionic powers. Player wants to have a fully in depth kung fu master. Etc.

Or the REALLY OUT THERE situations.
>Players somehow got themselves an army and want to lay siege to the BBEG's castle
Get some examples of the complex shit he usually has to improvise.
>>
>>52639945
Well, he listed the siege as one and running a fief as another, with ever-annoying issues with "how much damage a bench lifted by telekinesis should deal" (I at least know the last one is perfectly within calculating in GURPS, as one of my players was power-gaming telepakinesis after watching too much of Chronicle)

So I guess a standard fare of "that specific shit that only is required between games and to make things smooth rather than bullshitting and winging it", which I guess suggesting using GURPSGEN solves all by itself, as there will always be some kind anon willing to provide the right page of the right book to check important factors and mechanics.
>>
File: 1479754944519.png (157KB, 350x729px) Image search: [Google]
1479754944519.png
157KB, 350x729px
>>52640264
>telepakinesis
It's late, sorry
>>
>>52640264
>Well, he listed the siege as one

Mass Combat and Social Engineering City Stats

>running a fief as anothe

Social Engineering City Stats and maybe another Social Engineering book. Low Tech Daily Life and Economics. And I think Basic Set has the rules for how much stuff you can produce in a day and that sort of thing.

And there's probably some pyramid articles on top of that, but you'd have to ask people with more knowledge than I.

Basically "You know those issues you brought up? A dumb shit on GURPS Gen who was having problems with some simple shit rattled off a handful of books with the answers you needed inside an hour or so"
>>
>>52640735
>how much stuff you can produce in a day and that sort of thing.
Not part of the discussion, but that's Low Tech: Daily Life and Economics
>>
How should I role play a character whose IQ is given the Cosmic enhancement?
>>
>>52642256
You should define what that means so you know what the implications are.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.