[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ops and Tactics: .45 Strong Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 274
Thread images: 45

File: P4054749.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
P4054749.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>What the hell is Ops and Tactics and why did you write this?

Ops and Tactics is/was a rework of the terribly awful modern game D20 Modern that produces enough differences in said game to be considered it's own. It's goal was to do the following things

1. Make Combat more fluid and less rigid like the D20/D&D style outright demands.
2. Make it reflect the real attributes of weapons and armor, in a more realistic sense, while being as playable as possible.
3. Make everything else suck less, at least in my opinion.
4. Introduce a more modular way to handle magic, Incantations/Invoking(My own..thing), Psionics, and equipment. There is also a lot of equipment.

>Why do you keep posting this?

Cause I keep changing things. This latest version got rid of archetypes. I'll post the changelogs for each book below.

>Bloat!

SQuATs. Enjoy your bloat free game! You knwo who are you are.

>What kind of game is this good for?

Games with a lot of gunfights, where you want the realistic guns but you don't want the slow down. Also for people at least somewhat familiar with the D20 System.

>GURPS!

Go play gurps.

There is a blog: opsandtactics.blogspot.com and a website: www.opsandtactics.com

As always, I'll be posting and answering questions, as well as posting the current releases of the books.
>>
>>52561532
>Core Rulebook

Alright, a lot got actually changed here, some new additions to things. The changelog is below.

Removed the ablity to "Take 16 or 18" and replaced it with roll stacking.
Changed TN values and times for various skills
Removed Dilletante
Gave "Unemployed" the ablity to take any skill and a single feat.(For being unemployed!)
Removed all the archetypes, and replaced it with a more streamlined "classless" system.
Removed all of the tallents and made most of them into Feats.
Made modifications to the rules to denote "Archetyal skills" to "Focused skills" and crossarchetype skills to "Unfocused skills"
Added Tannerite
Added "Sticks of dynamte" For throwing!
Removed the "Unarchetype" and the "Abnormal" as they are no longer required.
Recalcuated how Expirence points, leveling, and skill points are given out, thus eliminating the need for a hard level stop.
Removed the Variant rule "Level 5+"
Revised some of the checks for Perception, so gunshots are easier to hear
Changed the way the Crafting skill works, so a failure jsut means it takes more time and supplies to create a thing.
Added the ablityu to actually make bombs in Demoloitons
Added more skill features in PResence, and Speechcraft, based on the former charismatic's tallents
Removed Combat Sheath from Modern Magika and placed it in Core
Removed the "Higher attack means more damage" rule
Changed Pistol Grip and the folding stock so that they are more inline with one another.
Clarified close combat rules for shotguns.
Allowed stand alone Grenade launchers to actually take stock upgrades
More faithfully represented some stand alone grenade launchers
Changed the critical rule so that if you're wearing a helmet that stops the damage it isn't an automatic critical
>>
>Continued

Increased Sprayfire to 4 CP
Removed all of the BABs on feats
Took the SMG and Machine pistol Feat tree and condensed into the PDW feat tree.
Clarified multi damage dice with alternate types of ammo
VERY SLIGHTLY simplified grapple. But not by much.
Changed The RPG7 so that it can use multiple types of Rockets now
Added the SMAW, and allowed it to use multiple types of rockets
Added aformentioned Rockets(HEDP, HEAT, Frag and Thermobaric)
Added a "Backpack pouch" for Molle
Fixed a quirk where you could potentially spam pava/spray to blind someone for multiple turns(+10) so that they were blinded and could not fight

Up next is Modern Magika

I removed Goblins. With the new change from the removal of the Archetype system for a "Build your own character" system, there really was no point for them. Changelog below
>Changes
6.02 to 6.03
Fixed format erros
Removed Combat Sheaths and placed them in Core Rulebook
Removed the chart for Stylus and replaced it with the formula for damage
Removed Goblins from the Selectable Races
Added a feat "Spoken Spell" That allows you to cast a spell for 6 or less SP withotu writing it down.

Changed All elves in the following ways:

Removed the weapon size penalties

Gave them a Recoil Modifier penalty due to their fraility.(-3 For high, -3 for forest, and -3 for Desert)

Added the item "Neural Inhibitor", that allows you to actually arrest people with Mental limit by removing their mental limit.
>>
>>52561565
Advanced Arms didn't get much of a change. Most of the stuff was changed last version. But regardless, here it is.
>>
>>52561589
>FID

I didn't write FID, but I did help. Mad props to Craft for everything he's done.

All of the NPCs got tweaked so that they're more inline with the classless system now. Also we removed level drain.
>>
>>52561612
>SQuATS

The Simplified Quick Action Tactics system was a system written after an energetic discussion on /tg/ about bloat, and what is bloat in a game.

So I stripped down, simplfied Ops and and Tactics(OaTs), and turned it into this.

It only requires D6, is simply to roll a character, and just use it for fights and such.

So enjoy!

I also had to modify it to be more in line with the Core Rulebook, as Squats is also to be used as a combat trainer for the more complicated Oats.
>>
>>52561645
>Procedural Weapons

Press button. Receive guns.

I fixed the new autofire rule so ti works with procedural guns now. So yes.

>Character sheets
THEY'RE COMING! I AM NOT GOOD AT ART.

>Where's the setting.

It's also being written. I didn't expect building an entire universe would be this..difficult. But I'm chipping away at it day by day. When I'm done it'll be either great or terrible. No in-between.
>>
File: test field.png (28KB, 456x474px) Image search: [Google]
test field.png
28KB, 456x474px
In game terms, how would I go about making the best fully automatic weapon to purge Emus?
Also post emu stats
>>
>>52561962
>Post EMU stats

I don't have any, but I told my guy to make them.

>Emu Machine gun.

I'd probably start with 308 and belt fed.
>>
>>52561962
>Emus

Alright. My monser guy made emus for you.

Enjoy.

https://pastebin.com/aAtVjXY1
>>
File: 1485159741082.jpg (127KB, 459x573px) Image search: [Google]
1485159741082.jpg
127KB, 459x573px
>>52562415
Oh shit
Thanks senpai
>>
>>52562452
No problem anon-chan.

Also thank craft, not me.
>>
Bump?
>>
File: in_our_last_days_by_lpeters.jpg (87KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
in_our_last_days_by_lpeters.jpg
87KB, 900x900px
>>52561532
Ah fuck, I haven't read through any of this yet but it sounds perfect for a pre-apocalyptic/the Division game I want to run.
>>
>>52562836
>Ah fuck, I haven't read through any of this yet but it sounds perfect for a pre-apocalyptic/the Division game I want to run.

It is. Read it. email me on what sucks.
>>
OP, the ling to your blog on your site, the one at the bottom, is still backwards. Just sayin.

I ran a not!XCOM one-shot with your game, and it went like a breeze. This is what I noticed and thought it's worth mentioning.

- Two out of four players showed a preference for dual-wielding pistols. See below.
- Armor breaking mechanic feels a little clunky. It's an extra set of numbers to track.
- Not an issue per se, but running for a sniper is boring, even with all the prepwork. Emphasis on "running", the player seemed content.
- Full-auto fire is great for hitting things that are hard to hit, or groups. That's good, but after some investment (which can be achieved by level dual-wielding handguns seems to become retardedly powerful, due to the sheer number of shots. Armor doesn't really help. Some quick calculations show that with investment (6 feats or 3 levels) a character can make at most 5 double-taps per round. Same as 5 bursts per round with rifles, at the same CP cost. But then, just two feats after (dual-wielding), it gets literally doubled with a negligible to-hit penalty. I couldn't find such an option for rifles. Is that intended? Correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>52563851
>Blog link
I checked it twice. I know it's right.

>- Two out of four players showed a preference for dual-wielding pistols. See below.

Huh. Even with the penalties?

>- Armor breaking mechanic feels a little clunky. It's an extra set of numbers to track.

You mean AP? It's really necessary, unfortunately. I know it's an extra set of numbers, and it sucks, but It's necissary to make people not just fucking soak rounds all day because "My armor never wears out.

>- Not an issue per se, but running for a sniper is boring, even with all the prepwork. Emphasis on "running", the player seemed content.

Yeah, this is an unfortunate truth. I tried to put tips on running and playing a sniper, but honestly a sniper's job is basically wait, scout, and take the odd shot or two.

>- Full-auto fire is great for hitting things that are hard to hit, or groups. That's good, but after some investment (which can be achieved by level dual-wielding handguns seems to become retardedly powerful, due to the sheer number of shots. Armor doesn't really help. Some quick calculations show that with investment (6 feats or 3 levels) a character can make at most 5 double-taps per round. Same as 5 bursts per round with rifles, at the same CP cost. But then, just two feats after (dual-wielding), it gets literally doubled with a negligible to-hit penalty. I couldn't find such an option for rifles. Is that intended? Correct me if I'm wrong.

There are some downsides to using two guns, they are below.

1. You can't reload without droping/holstering one gun to do as such.
2. The penalties Absoloutely should NOT be trivial. It's like a -6 and a -4. with all the feats stacked.

That being said, yes that's intended. Handguns, even with burst fire(Which is odd becasue they'd have to be using machine pistols of some sort, the 93R perhaps?, or a full auto).

But if the penalties(even with that -6 is negligible, I may add the recoil bonus to all ranged weapons when dual wielding)
>>
File: blog.png (18KB, 765x484px) Image search: [Google]
blog.png
18KB, 765x484px
>>52563851

As for the issue with rifles. Yes, this is done on purpose because using two machine pistols full auto basically doubles your firepower at the cost off ammunition, and penalties. They also lack any real "Range" that rifles have.

Also, if you're doing this with doubletap, doubling up can make up the deficiency.

But it sounds to me like The recoil penalty when dual weilding should be 1.5, at least. Probably doubled, if they can get away with double tapping two handguns and ignoring armor.
>>
>>52563851
>Offhand weapons being small

Found the issue. FIxing it now. Expect an update in a week or so.
>>
>>52563851
Oh! And you missed this rule!

>. A character fighting with two weapons only has to spend the Combat Points as if attacking with one weapon, but the combat point cost is increased by 1.5, rounded up, for the largest weapon that is being used.

This would make double taps 7CP, not 5. So yeah.
>>
>>52563851
Ayy, I also ran an xcom game with this. I personally like the armor health, but I also think it needs a very good book-keeping flow to track in a timely manner.

How did you run the sniper? Off the map with a spotter, sitting in the corner of a map? I also had trouble with marksmen-focused characters in my game having a bit of trouble with the fact that there's only so large you can make a reasonable map and still run things without doing abstractions or workarounds.
>>
Oh and Ops and Tactics thread? Nice.

It might just be me but the bipod seems a bit weak for what it does, it costs more than a foregrip, must be deployed before use and actually uses up a single combat point to unfold (though that's extremely negligible in theory it can prevent shooting in a turn.) but it only grants a +1 all around attack bonus, whereas the foregrip can be used on the move though it only gives a +1 bonus to multishot attacks.

Also, what is the synthetic stock supposed to represent out of curiosity, at least on weapons that already use synthetic furniture, is it supposed to be telescopic stocks like on the M4?
>>
File: No 95.png (24KB, 500x480px) Image search: [Google]
No 95.png
24KB, 500x480px
>>52561532
>This still exists
Nifty.

Anywhoo- I was reading over the new updates and I suspect ive found an error:

In the Core rulebook, page 88, bottom left, about Carrying capacities of items, Both large and small duffel bags are listed as having a capacity of 320 ounces of equipment. I take it that this is wrong?

Error aside Im looking forward to running this with some mates of mine soon. Ill post again if I find anything else.
>>
A question for the creator, a homerule I use when playing this game is get rid of multiple dice for damage and replace it with a multiplier, so if a round does 6D4 of damage I instead do D6x4.
It speeds things up and makes ones and sixes exciting for me and my group, what are your opinions on it?
>>
>>52567714
does that mean every weapon uses a D6? Seems a bit weird, what do you do with damage bonuses, just leave them as is?
>>
>>52564016
With all the feats stacked, it is around -4 to -6 for both guns iirc. It's negated by the BAB, MRK and feat bonus. Since DEF rarely exceeds low 10s, unless you're armored, invested into armor AND in decent cover, around half of the shots come through. Which is still a lot.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170406-122717.png (157KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170406-122717.png
157KB, 720x1280px
>>52564016
>Blog link

I'm talking about this one - the one which is your tripcode. It says "blogspot.opsandactics.com".
>>
>>52567839
No. Some weapons deal 3D4 which in our group is D3x4 and so on. We add damage bonuses after the multiplication.
>>
>>52564985
>Bipod

Having used one, it does help, but honestly not as much as you'd think.

Bipods are primarily for long range rifles, machine guns, and things that are in a more fixed emplacement, or too heavy to cart around.

> is it supposed to be telescopic stocks like on the M4?

Yes.

>In the Core rulebook, page 88, bottom left, about Carrying capacities of items, Both large and small duffel bags are listed as having a capacity of 320 ounces of equipment. I take it that this is wrong?

It is. It's supposed to be 800 oz.

Thanks for the catch.
>>
>>52567714

>It speeds things up and makes ones and sixes exciting for me and my group, what are your opinions on it?

Negative, since all damage was meticulously balanced out. You basically made a lot of weapons worthless, and more weapons way too good.

The damages and the way they are crafted out was very, very specific in reflecting the average person's relative HPs. So by doing this you basically put low recoiling, but large dice number damages higher(So something like .22 TCM is just outrightly better than something like 9mm)

If I'm to understand that correctly, that is.

>>52567839
Unless he changed something, I don't think that's what he meant.
>>
>>52568018
>With all the feats stacked, it is around -4 to -6 for both guns iirc. It's negated by the BAB, MRK and feat bonus. Since DEF rarely exceeds low 10s, unless you're armored, invested into armor AND in decent cover, around half of the shots come through. Which is still a lot.

Yeah, Armor's job is to stop bullets, not make you harder to hit.

Use cover?

Also, what about recoil? Do your PCs have enough strength to negate recoil, or are the guns they use just not recoiling high enough?
>>52568047
I'm still confused.
>>
>>52568507
I'll admit we haven't playtested it massively. But for the game we used it in we saw nothing major, though we were not using rounds that may have made this problem come to light.
Thanks for the input!
>>
>>52568124
>>52568531

Yeah, this was just as I suspected.

My issue with this is that the spread isn't good. With something on the higher side(Lets take 12 gauge, at 5d6, this is turned into d6 * 5. That means you're going to ONLY get a damage roll of 6, 12, 18, 24 or 30, on an even plane. That is a really big difference, as the intended damage for 12 gauge isn't supposed to be the maximum or the minimum. Or at least the max and min aren't supposed to be 1/6th chance. So doing that really fucks with the damage rolls because it really takes a chunk out of what's possible and replaces it with solid "Bad, ok, good" rolls.

essentially, if you roll a 3 on something like 50 gI(6d3+2), you'll have a nice 20 damage. But you roll a 1, and you're doing half that. The problem is that things with a lot of little dice are balanced in such a manner to give you a much better spread, so a single roll of 1 doesn't fuck your damage up.

Also, you're welcome!
>>
>>52568531
I will note that on higher numerical dice(D6 and up), it's not all that bad. But small dice, and smaller calibers really makes this suck.

2d4 becomes 1d4*2. So it's either going to be 2,4,6 or 8.

The issue is that the rule you proposed(While it's not bad), does have an issue with spreading rolls. It's the D20 problem. There are no trending averages. Damage becomes completely random and the only goal is to just get as high of a dice as possible and hope you don't suck.

http://anydice.com/program/b3f8

It's not a bad rule though. If you can fix that problem I'd keep it and put it in as a variant rule.
>>
>>52568592
>>52568564
I think the "bad, ok good" rolls is part of the appeal for some of my players. I can enjoy both, a fistful of dice or a singular 'powerful' one can be equally exciting. By using multiple dice you're unlikely to roll maximum damage (or minimum).
I can full appreciate the desire to have averages though, especially if you have based your math and balances around that.
Its been fun talking to you. And for a pet project game yours is up there in quality for me.
>>
>>52568652
>>
>>52568485
Another thing I just remembered, the rules doesn't seem to list how long it takes to set up a mortar.
>>
>>52568652
Damn phone.

I'm glad that you like it. I'll probably take this rule and make it a variant rule. How should I credit you?
>>
>>52568715
12 cp.

Or you can go with "manipulating an object"
>>
>>52568730
Alright thanks, I'll probably stick with 12 CP as I don't want my players having to re-enact the first world war in order to survive contact with the bigger enemies.
>>
>>52568520
Well, yeah, I did miss a rule and didn't have enough cover on the map. Thanks.

Other than that, the game is great and I'll use it in the future. Do you consider donations or something like that? I'd buy you a beer or two.
>>
>>52568833
Email me.

[email protected]

Also spreading the word about the system would be nice too.
>>
>>52568723
Twixman will be fine.
Not the guy donating but I share the system whenever possible (:
>>
File: 1406508601300.jpg (256KB, 711x1179px) Image search: [Google]
1406508601300.jpg
256KB, 711x1179px
>>52569061
>>52568833
Not either of those guys, but I've effectively shilled it to an entire server worth of people trying to organize a game at this point.
>>
>>52569143
Noice.
>>
>>52569143
Nice. Good luck!
>>
You know, we used to get a hell of a lot more trolls, dissenters, and complainers in these threads. I wonder what happened.
>>
>>52569974
The day is young. They'll come.
>>
>>52564016
By the way, speaking of armor. People WILL soak up rounds all day, because as of now, if it breaks, it stops providing a bonus to DEF, but doesn't stop giving DR. Unless I missed something again.
>>
File: unnamed.png (5KB, 383x382px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
5KB, 383x382px
>Players coming up with ideas for their characters
>Foxgirl who wields an acid enchanted gauntlet guns
>Rabbit girl medic with magical healing
>Then the normal human guy with bombs, suddenly discussing the logistics of using his toolbox as an improvised club
I think I might've let things get out of hand.
>>
>>52570179
Sounds like fun. But if you want to subtly deal with that, amp up the lethality, put in some extra mooks. Tone it down when you have a cast that you want.
>>
File: JUST_AS_PLANNED.jpg (20KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
JUST_AS_PLANNED.jpg
20KB, 704x396px
>>52570210
Nah, it's totally fine, it's all going just as keikaku. Although it might get a little brutal considering I based the campaign (read stole it from) Jagged Alliance 2, so they will be facing over whelming odds.
>>
>>52570093
You did. Armor stops working after there's no more Ap.

>>52570179

What did you do..
>>
>>52570288
I took a bunch of autists I know from an autistic game I play, gathered them up and gave them the jist of my autistic little world and the rules for this game and said "here's some autistic homebrew stuff have fun".
>>
>>52570319
Huh. Alright then. You made that bed.
>>
>>52570288
>The equipment bonus is the bonus to
DEF a character gets if they are proficient in the armor, and it has not run out of AP
>When an armor has run out of AP, it also
stops providing an Equipment Bonus to DEF

I can't find anything about AP interacting with DR other than
>When armor protects a character from
damage using its damage reduction, it subtracts the damage done from its AP score

The fact that armor stops providing DR when it's out of AP makes a lot of sense, yeah. But it seems to be missing. Or I'm blind.
>>
>>52570404
The only thing that annoys me is that no one wanted to play a Dwarf or something else, so it's already looking like the cast of an animal girl themed harem anime.
>>
>>52570435
It doesn't have any AP to subtract from, so..obviously it won't provide DR.

>>52570441
Did you let them make their own races or something?
>>
>>52570463
No, I made a set of races that fit in the setting I use (mostly just made elves and dwarves different then added two more).
>>
File: 1490144406.jpg (143KB, 768x594px) Image search: [Google]
1490144406.jpg
143KB, 768x594px
I'm going to run a pic related game, but using this system. What can go wrong?
>>
>>52570719
Nothing. It can only go right.
>>
So guy with the anime party here, we're about to drop into our first fight soon I think, Fox girl is MIA but I've got the rabbit and the explosives guy, Rabbit's finishing some stuff at the moment. Current baddies are untrained "policemen" with hand me down's from the 60's.
>>
>>52564985
>It might just be me but the bipod seems a bit weak for what it does, it costs more than a foregrip, must be deployed before use and actually uses up a single combat point to unfold (though that's extremely negligible in theory it can prevent shooting in a turn.) but it only grants a +1 all around attack bonus, whereas the foregrip can be used on the move though it only gives a +1 bonus to multishot attacks.
>>52568485

It seems to me that a grip should help firing full auto at short to medium range. But a bipod should help with medium to long range.
>>
>>52571461
Since there isn't really a short/med/ long range set out, rather its determined by the gun, it wasnt the best way to do that. Plus I wanted the ability to do silly things still be useful, like attaching a bipod to a SMG.
>>
>>52571020

Please take notes. Tell me how combat runs for you.
>>
File: Jagged_alliance_2_boxart.jpg (17KB, 360x417px) Image search: [Google]
Jagged_alliance_2_boxart.jpg
17KB, 360x417px
>>52571877
>while everyone is setting up more players want to join
THE TEAM GROWS LARGER
>>
>>52572080
Kek.

So honest thoughts, what do you like and hate about the game?
>>
>>52572236
Well, I've been around since like, late 4th edition/ early 5th, so my favorite part has always been the gun and how the list expanded, it tickled my /k/ommando side along with the more tactical combat, and I like the concept of the magic idea, but I dislike how it feels pretty low in power compared to firearms even at the higher levels.

maybe I'm not cheesing it enough or something, but it seems the really cool stuff (resurrection or permanent enchantment) requires you to have the magic books and at least some higher tier spell inks.
>>
>>52572374
Perm enchant requires feats, inks, and a focus.

So only real professionals can perm enchant. Think of it how you think of engineers.

Resurrection is one of those balancing things. I couldn't just let people resurrect people without actually specing hard into it, and I couldn't make it forever. Removing the threat of death trivializes most of the game.

Also magic is dangerous as fuck! Especially evocation, and necromancy!
>>
>>52572374
>magic

Also, I'm not sure you saw, but magic also has wands, and styli

Also you can still use guns and magic.

Nothing is stopping you from both casting spells and firing rounds
>>
>>52572723
Yeah, the fox girl is rapidly proving that, with enchanted gun gauntlets that shoot enchanted bullets.
>>
Ah yes, the revised version of d20 Modern that nobody ever asked for.

>>52563851
>autistically stats out the minute differences between hundreds of different firearms, for the sake of "realism"
>still ends up with a system where dual wielding pistols is fairly viable
kek
>>
>>52573117
In a specific circumstance(spraying a large amount of rounds at a target), yes, it is viable.

Also I started out the minute differences between hundreds of firearms because I wanted a bunch of guns. Realism had nothing to do with it.

But is that all you wanted to complain about? Surely there is more I could fix. I depend on the analysis of people to see problems I didn't see so I can fix them.
>>
>>52573117
To be fair, it's viable. If you heavily invest into it (top half of SWAT level heavily), your opponents are at short range, unarmored and aren't highly skilled.
>>
>>52573176
You have to make a choice it seems you haven't made yet. Do you want things to be viable in this game that aren't in real life for the sake of lighthearted fun, or are you trying to make a faithful simulation? Either way you have a lot of editing to do. If the answer is the former and you want to embrace action-movie stuff, get rid of all the weapon stats and other boring rules and add rules that fit the conventions of narratives where dual-wielding pistols can work. If it's the latter, don't make dual wielding pistols even an option, and also get rid of all the magic.

A modern combat game can be ARMA or it can be Doom, but it can't be both.
>>
>>52573308
>things are either super realistic or not
>there is no middle ground
Not to mention that particular instance was a GM misreading the rules and not providing cover on the map.
>>
>>52573308

>A modern combat game can be ARMA or it can be Doom, but it can't be both.

Insurgency is both.

I choose to be like insurgency.
>>
>>52573308
>You have to make a choice it seems you haven't made yet. Do you want things to be viable in this game that aren't in real life for the sake of lighthearted fun, or are you trying to make a faithful simulation?

I'm aiming for somewhere in the middle.

I think I've hit that middle.

The goal of ops ams tactics was to make a playable, fun, somewhat faithful representation of gunfights and combat while being fairly easy and smooth to play, without being bogged down with the need to be a simulation.

Simulations suck. They're slow, and nuanced. TW2000 and phoenix command have that covered.

And on the other hand, The arcadey feel like D20 modern just isn't enough meat to satisfy any real /k/ habits or taste for me. So yes, somewhere in the middle. Sometimes you want to be a swat leet operator who would never do anythibg silly ever. Other times you want to do hoodrat things with your friends and dual weild stolen mac-10s. OATS allows for both.
>>
>>52573443
Insurgency is just faster ARMA.

Fast is good. Fast in a tabletop game means compact rules, which you have done the exact opposite of.

You can be realistic while still having few rules. Remember that wargame Lindybeige made up with no rulers and only 3d6 but that still pretty accurately reflects the importants of cover and not fucking around?
>>
>>52573308
>Either way you have a lot of editing to do.
This is a project going on 9 years at this point, BTW.

> If the answer is the former and you want to embrace action-movie stuff, get rid of all the weapon stats and other boring rules and add rules that fit the conventions of narratives where dual-wielding pistols can work. If it's the latter, don't make dual wielding pistols even an option, and also get rid of all the magic.

And if its neither, I'll leave them both in.

You should probably actually read the system before you start saying someone should re-edit everything.
>>
>>52573545
>Fast is good. Fast in a tabletop game means compact rules, which you have done the exact opposite of.

Go read squats. It was written for you.

Because you seem to have this notion of black or white. As if a game either has to be arcade style or this simulationist mess.
>>
>>52573545
I'm not trying to be realistic. Ops and tactics isn't a simulation.
>>
>>52573535
>simulations suck
>my beautiful, perfect masterpiece with 130 pages of weapons isn't a simulation

A middle ground between the original d20 modern and the opposite extreme like HERO System would be, like, five pages of weapons.
>>
>>52573827
I like guns. And choice.

So I put a lot of guns in.

Why does this make it a simulation?

I also have a "generic guns" rule for people who don't.
>>
>trolls trying to shittalk Ops & Tactics, one of the few homebrews to survive Nazimod
You guys need to try harder.
>>
>>52574012
Nazimod? There was a nazimod?
>>
>>52574034
I'm not even sure if you are serious or joking, but I don't remember you posting a lot during Nazimods reign, I had wagered you hunkered down for better times.
>>
>>52574056
I'm serious. I don't remember a nazimod. What happened?
>>
>>52574127
Basically, some years ago, a incredibly stringent mod came about, drove off a lot of the homebrewers, artists.
Yeah, the off topic porn posting and some tripfaggots like Sergal and Verity were finally sent packing, but not only were they replaced by new breeds of /pol/lacks and shitlords like Virt, the old homebrewers mostly never came back, a lot of people simply vanished, hell, m00t had to personally invoke Captain Keen in order to keep vidya lore threats like Elder Scrolls from getting purged.
A lot of unpleasant business, and the end result was a lot of creativity was lost for good in exchange for what ended up being a temporary reprieve from the most extreme shitposts.
I miss a lot of people from the old days, like Rage, DLFG, Rawk, Script, Grandpa Dread
I used to post in the 40k threads under the handle Guardsork
>>
>>52574258
Oh wow. Yeah I was not here for that.
>>
>>52574547
Better that way, it was bad stuff, man.
Things have never really been the same, it was the end of the wild west feel /tg/ had.
like when /cgl/ turned into what it is now, although I think that was simply a matter of time
>>
>>52574258
>the strictest mod in history comes to /tg/
>does not ban Virt

does not compute
>>
>>52574592
Virt came long after.
The amusing part was that Nazimod expressly allowed /wst/ to exist, provided there was only one and it was purged literally midnight sunday, but current mods scrapped it because they couldn't deal with trolls.
>>
>>52574592
>>52574632

Who is virt? Its been forever since I've really been here and posted.

I feel an old man, clinging to his rulebooks and guns.
>>
>>52574801
Virt was a legitimately disturbed guy who was a dedicated troll and shitposter, and exulted in it.
Think of every troll you remember from way back when.
NONE of them were as bad as Virt. He would singlehandedly derail entire threads, multiple ones, at the same time, then screencap the resulting mess and post it on his tumblr.
>>
>>52574969
Jesus.

So he's gone?
>>
>>52575058
Yeah, he apparently got bored.
>>
>>52575190
They all do, eventually.

The guy talking about loadsaguns being simulationist never answered me.

I would like an answer, too.
>>
>>52574258

Wastelandwanderer's stories are what I miss the most.

and the joe's barman chillout and fire threads.

I still can't stand that these faggots who came in whined all the quests off the baord, because, shit, roleplaying isn't for the roleplaying board.

Entitlement through filtering was and demanding other people comply about your tastes was even worse than nazimod imho.

And now we have only king shitpile vidya and mainstream tg to shitpost in eternally.
>>
Hm, I notice you don't seem to have barrier-blind rounds yet. Stuff like the M855A1 EPR or the Mk. 318 open-tip match round (not to be confused with a hollowpoint). Not yet sure how they'd model in this systemt hough.
>>
>>52575486
Shit, man, don't remind me.
I wonder if Blackheart is still alive sometimes
>>
>>52575574
Me either.

Honestly I stuck with generic bullet "types" and that barrier blind shit is..crazy..

I dont know what it would do to a person that HP or sp wouldn't.
>>
>>52575702
Hmmm...I think you could give the M855A1 round similar performance to a hollowpoint, but able to do bonus damage even against armored targets. However because the M855A1 is an overpressure round I'd give a +5 or possibly even +10% error range.

For the SOST/Mk 318 Mod 1 round, I'd reduce the damage bonus to that of semi-jacketed hollowpoint (again though, able to deliver it through armor), but with no error range and possibly even a +1 bonus to attack rolls.

Naturally also, both are only currently available for 5.56x45mm NATO.
>>
>>52573535
>T2k
>Anywhere near as rules heavy as Phoenix command
What a meme. Even T2k13 isn't as rules heavy as that.

Speaking of which T2k vehicle conversion to Ops and Tactics rules when?
>>
>>52576005
>Even T2k13 isn't as rules heavy as that.

Yeah, I'm going to have to concur there.
>>
>>52576005
Examples, gentlemen, examples!

>T2k vehicle conversion to Ops and Tactics rules when?

Hopefully never. Ops is about people ing guns at people. The farther away I get from that, the simpler the mechanics become.

>>52575855
Bonus damage as in piercing or just bonus damage in general?

>Naturally also, both are only currently available for 5.56x45mm NATO.

No can do, ammo is grouped by "types", 5.56 is intermediate rifle, so all intermediate rifles would be able to take advantage of the new round.

Also what are some downsides to it? I certainly don't want it yo just be " the best"
>>
>>52576435
>Tfw I will never be able to run a game set in a war with Ops and Tactics
Why even live
>>
>>52576467
Vehicles exist. But its not a tank game.
>>
>>52576558
Sure, but combined operations are heavy in post-WW2 wars.
>>
>>52576708
Yeah. Take a look at the vehicle rules in core. Tell me what you think.
>>
>>52576708
Looks like vehicles are intended to be more like plot devices or map elements. Especially heavier ones. Like tanks in CoD.
>>
>>52576730
They're nothing special, but I guess if that's your design philosophy. I do like combined arms stuff a lot, so maybe Ops and Tactics isn't entirely what I'm looking for them. I have infantry working alongside vehicles and such a lot in my games (Typically one or two players will be in control of a vehicle, while the rest take infantry duty).
>>
>I'm not trying to be simulationist
>1209 uniquely stated fireams
>In core.
Jesus christ that is some dedication.
>>
>>52576730
>>52577620
Also, tangentially related, may I recommend having a special rule for ATGMs, such as them using their own skill level for a roll or something? I know you're not down with being simulationist, but I don't know, it just seems that kind of thing is expected for ATGMs.
>>
>>52577712
Having choices isn't simulationist, anon.

Trying to model all those choices in their real life intricacies is.
>>52577223
Ask a infantry squad what it feels like when they run into a tank that intel didn't say was there.

Yeah, it's a plot device because the infantry guys aren't gonna fucking win. Tank > infantry not expressly and intentionally geared to take on a tank, and even then, depending on the tank, that may not even be possible.
>>
>>52577802
I didn't say choices was bad.
I said stating 1209 diferent weapons is dedication
>>
>>52577802
>Ask a infantry squad what it feels like when they run into a tank that intel didn't say was there.
Depends on whether or not they're carrying man-portable AT weapons.
>>
>>52577819
This has been a constant thing since... 2009?

Or earlier? I forgot, but Ops & Tactics is an old, old thing from when /tg/ was young.
>>52577871
And what man-portable AT weapons are going to reliably kill an Abrams?
>>
>>52577891
>Abrams
A hamburger, put a gun to it and DEMAND the tank to be surrendered, any god fearing american will surrender.
>>
>>52577948
Anon, I am too drunk right now to withstand your joshing.

Kudos, I almost giggled up my beer.
>>
>>52577891
December of 2009, yes
>>
>>52577891
>And what man-portable AT weapons are going to reliably kill an Abrams?
Abrams side and rear armour can be penetrated by missiles/rockets. A Javelin ATGM could easily kill an Abrams.
>>
>>52578206
If the infantry can maneuver to such and angle, and it's an if, not a guarantee.

You'd be talking about some hard as fuck dudes that could face down an abrams without tucking tails.
>>52578158
I remember when you first started posting about this, and I thought, "naw, it won't get anywhere, it'll die like all the other homebrew".

Many years later, it's still here, still plugging along. Bless you, soul bro, for being a reminder of good days with good folk. I can only wish you the best.
>>
>>52578258
You know, there's cases where infantry encounters armour that isn't urban, right?
>>
>>52576435
>Also what are some downsides to it? I certainly don't want it yo just be " the best"

Not sure, besides the overpressure setting in the M855A1 potentially accelerating bolt wear. This is a bit of a problem when doing realistic weaponry and such. Real life isn't competitively balanced, so well-made weapons don't HAVE noticeable downsides.

Also I was thinking bonus damage, buuut extra piercing might also work potentially. It's the kind of thing that would need playtesting, for sure.
>>
>>52578994
You just described ap ammo.
>>
>>52578258
I wanted a system I liked. So I made one.
>>
>>52579133
Possible, yeah. Though these rounds don't "icepick" like AP rounds tend to do to unarmored targets.
>>
>>52579164
Well, that's not really what AP does in Ops.

Game wise, these rounds basically sound like "magic bullets".

ALl the benefits of both AP AND soft points, with none of the downsides.

I may keep them out due to that, since they'd just be the logical choice and it really would ruin a lot of the balance.
>>
>>52579794
That's fair. It's basically something like that in real life; a way to get accurate, more consistently wounding rounds that can still punch through hard stuff. And they are indeed slated to become the standard U.S. rounds eventually (probably once the existing stocks of regular ol' M855 greentip are all gone).

That said, if AP rounds in Ops aren't less effective against unarmored targets you could just call them that and go, I bet.
>>
>>52581147
They aren't. What AP bullets do is remove one Damage dice of ballistic damage, and give you 2 dice damage of piercing damage, punching through armor that protects against ballistic(Kevlar, and the such) but not against(At least not fully) against hard plates and the like.

So yeah, they're probably that.
>>
File: 4a689f845f345c4c9843d0fc1b656706.jpg (596KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
4a689f845f345c4c9843d0fc1b656706.jpg
596KB, 750x1000px
bump
>>
>>52573535
>Simulations suck
Hey, for as much of a slog as it is to get through phoenix command, I enjoy it.
>>
So for conjuration healing spells, how exactly do you calculated an increase in dice size or number of dice? Is it the initial payout then 1 per increase or is it initial payout then x+1 per increase with x being the number of previous increases?
>>
>>52584650
It goes like this 2+1+1+1+1

So you pay your inital(2), then just +1 for every increase.
>>
>>52584784
Alright thanks, me and my player were wondering what the fuck was up with the wording. and we're starting to think that having lots of little dice is far more cost effective than having a handful of bigger ones.
>>
>>52584784
sweet lord you need an editor
another magic question - can you just destroy a spell at literally any time, or do you need to be physically there and present to destroy the spell?
if so, is it possible to be permanently cheated out of spell points if you manage to lose an engraved spell somewhere, through whatever circumstances?
some of the more resistant writing surfaces seem vulnerable to that too, like weatherproof paper, or somebody betraying you and running off with a tattoo.

also, how close do you need to be to the inscription to actually activate it? if it can be done remotely, how the hell does targeting for that stuff work when it's out of sight?
>>
>>52584954
Yeah I do need an editor.

To the first question, yes. A mage should be very careful when doing something permanent.

I should probably add in a notion that if a mage is a way from their spellbook for longer than a week, the spells are released from their mental limit

You need to be within physical earshot to release a spell.
>>
>>52585213
>To the first question, yes. A mage should be very careful when doing something permanent.
that's awful
either way, thanks for responding.
>>
>>52585362
You're welcome. Also permanent things should be well guarded. They very powerful and there has to be some balance behind it.
>>
>>52585362
>that's awful
>mages having definitive limits on power and its use is awful
Get fucked.
>>
>>52586134
>being able to be permanently dicked out of spell points is sensible at all
???
rip in piece any mage who gets their notepad stolen or lost.
thank fuck you're not the guy working on this game.

>>52585999
anyway while i'm responding i may as well bombard with more questions - what exactly does mental limit represent? it's apparently explained.. somewhere, but i haven't been able to find the passage. something about remembering power words.

also i figure i'll point out some of the weird bits that need editing too, although i don't remember them all
some or all of this has probably been brought up already, so i'm sorry if i'm retreading ground.
character creation is a bit of a mess, first is that starting XHP is XHP * 2, which is.. i don't really have a word for that.
it's obvious on a second read that you're supposed to do the stuff in the character options part first and then work through the 1st-level stuff, but it's a little confusing to be told to derive a stat from itself first time around.
some of the basic stats like the BSBs and BAB could do with mentioning they're based on attributes and start at 0 respectively, although the BSBs are mentioned in the attribute section.
the only other thing i can remember offhand is that duffel bags' description in 9.1 mention that a small bag can carry 320 ounces and a large bag can carry.. also 320 ounces.
>>
>>52586490
Mental limit represents ones ability to memorize spells, what they do, and the power word that triggers them. That's why its wisdom.

I'll clarify the xhp thing in the next release, and large duffels hold 800 oz.
>>
>>52586490
>rip in piece any mage who gets their notepad stolen or lost.

Stolen should be a viable option, but you can still release the spell ID you're within earshot. Lost? I'll make it so that non permanent items have a week, and permanent objects have 3 months.
>>
>>52586734
So does that mean a would be thief would swipe your note book only for you to blast him with a bunch of 5d6 fire spells as he's running off?
>>
>>52586490
Actually what I'll do is make it work like a hard drive. You can overwrite old spells with new ones. So if you lose things you can just overwrite that mental limit.
>>
>>52586791
Sounds cool. Don't be a dick to mages.
>>
>>52586791
Depends on how the spell is targeted. If its like a ranges area spell, you could just target the thief(and the book). If its a touch attack, you gotta touch the thief.
>>
>>52586817
>>52586816
>>52586802
>>52586791
>>52586734
>>52586490

See, this is why I keep posting OaTs to 4chan. I love you guys.
>>
>>52586802
yeah i was about to mention it would be a little weird because there's no reason you can't just forget about the spell yourself and learn new ones
timed or overwritten, they both work reasonably enough.

>>52586734
>>52586791
that'd be pretty hilarious, but i've never seen or heard of thieves in RPGs taking stuff by force
it's pretty much always some cunt sneaking about, whether it's a party member or some NPC the DM's getting tricky with, or even just an NPC betraying the group.
that's always a pain.
also the possibilty of being captured, in that silly archetypical 'you get knocked on the head and wake up without your gear' style. most DMs tend to let you retrieve everything pretty easily in that case though.
>>
>>52586887
I prefer overwritten. Gives more agency to the players.

And while were on the subject, what DO you think about the magic system as compared to its contemporaries, like PF/D&D
>>
Out of curiosity, what's the best way to handle rechambering weapons or even creating weapons that aren't in the rule book? Like the bizon has a 7.62 tokarev variant I'd love to put in my game and a few fictional weapons might spice things up a bit.
>>
>>52587051
Take the closest existing weapon in the book
( and if you say "there isn't one" then I'll tell you to get succ'd)

And change what is necessary to make it fit.

Alternatively, use the gun smithing rules.

Baring that. Just make shit up following how the system is setup.
>>
>>52587051
I'll give you an example. The FAMAS G2 is basically a FAMAS that takes stanag mags. The g1 would have its own 25 round mags but would otherwise be identical, rules wise. Weight may be different.
>>
I've been going through the weapons tables, and I'm pretty disappointed by the format.
>Calibers and ammunition (which determine how much damage a weapon does) are put after the weapons tables, so figuring out how much damage a given weapon will do requires flipping back and forth between tables.
>Alphabetical order by manufacturer makes sense on paper, but it also leads to clumps of weapons with numerous variants (Glock handguns and Heckler & Koch submachine guns are particular culprits) that are hard to distinguish at a glance.
>Standard weapon furnishings are inconsistently placed compared to the tables. Sometimes they come before, sometimes after.
>"Cheap", "Mid-Range", and "Expensive" are logical groupings, but due to the alphabetical order it's hard to get exact price/value comparisons.
So, for the purpose of troubleshooting and more exact comparisons, I've been rearranging the all the weapons into tables of my own, with all weapons of a given caliber in the same table(s), arranged in order of price (cheapest at the beginning, most expensive at the end). Each entry has the standard furnishings and qualities listed right under the weapon's stats to clear things up further. Ultimately, I want to all the calibers (pistol, rifle, shotgun, and explosive) together in a huge PDF that can be used as a supplement, along with the different sub-types of ammo (lead, AP, HP, etc.)
(Minor issues in next post)
>>
>>52587599
How do you find a specific gun with this system?
>>
>>52587599
Also if you could get this to work in latex i would be more than happy to change it, as that is what the book is written in.
>>
File: Ops & Tactics Shotguns.pdf (150KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Ops & Tactics Shotguns.pdf
150KB, 1x1px
>>52587599
As for minor nitpicks:
>There doesn't seem to be any explanation of what .300 AAC Blackout, 6.5mm Grendel, and .458 SOCOM cartridges do (Wikipedia says they're all 5.56x25mm alternatives that can be used in M-16/M4 pattern rifles). Is this intentional?
>The MP5A2 and its variants and the MP5A3 and its variants have their stocks switched around. The A2 variants have fixed stocks and the A3 variants have folding stocks, not the other way around.
>The FN FNS-40 Compact, FN FNX-45, FN FNX-45 Tactical, Walther P99, and a few others I'm probably missing don't have any standard equipment listed (not even magazines). Even the crappiest automatic pistols comes with magazines. Is this intentional?
There's probably other issues I'm missing.

>>52587756
I just pored through the tables. Come to think of it, I should include an index once all the tables are set up, as well as some example weapons in the initial ammunition descriptions (5.56x25mm=M-16, M4, etc.). I still haven't gotten all the pistol cartridges done (I'm on .44 Magnum if I remember correctly), and I'm reformatting the rifle and shotgun tables to make sure vertical cell spacing is relatively consistent, so that will be a later thing.

>>52587823
I have no idea what latex is (aside from rubber). Is it a specific font? All the tables are in 10-point Arial Narrow to save space.
>>
File: IMG_1829.png (2MB, 1200x950px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1829.png
2MB, 1200x950px
>>52587912
>5.56x25mm=M-16, M4, etc.
I meant 5.56x45mm.
>>
>>52587599
>Standard weapon furnishings are inconsistently placed compared to the tables. Sometimes they come before, sometimes after.

This is due to LATEX auto formatting. I can't really control it. I tried.

>"Cheap", "Mid-Range", and "Expensive" are logical groupings, but due to the alphabetical order it's hard to get exact price/value comparisons

Yes, but ordering it by price instead of name means you can't find specific guns without looking back and forth.

Which would affect people not trying to straight look for the best gun at the lowest cost, and instead looking for specific guns.
>>
>>52587912
.300 ACC, 6.5 Grendel and .458 SOCOM are really just alternatives to 5.56x45mm yes, there's no need for further explanation other than that really.
>>
>>52587912
>latex

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX

Its a markup language.

>The FN FNS-40 Compact, FN FNX-45, FN FNX-45 Tactical, Walther P99, and a few others I'm probably missing don't have any standard equipment listed (not even magazines).

Typo. Will fix. Thanks.

I'm on a phone so part 1/2
>>
>>52587912
>There doesn't seem to be any explanation of what .300 AAC Blackout, 6.5mm Grendel, and .458 SOCOM cartridges do (Wikipedia says they're all 5.56x25mm alternatives that can be used in M-16/M4 pattern rifles). Is this intentional?

They're calibers. What so you mean "what they do"?

The MP5A2 and its variants and the MP5A3 and its variants have their stocks switched around. The A2 variants have fixed stocks and the A3 variants have folding stocks, not the other way around.

Typo. Will fix.
>>
>>52587939
>>52587984
>Look up LaTex on Wikipedia because I am 23 and what is this
That might be a bit above my level. I just used OpenOffice Calc for my stuff. I can't fault you for working with your system though; if that's how it works, then I'm fine with that.

>Yes, but ordering it by price instead of name means you can't find specific guns without looking back and forth. Which would affect people not trying to straight look for the best gun at the lowest cost, and instead looking for specific guns.

OK, that makes sense. I guess I'm going off the assumption that the players are looking for good stats for a given price instead of specific guns. Say they have 20 wealth points and they're looking for a gun in that price range. I'm working off the assumption that they'll focus more on the price itself and find a weapon that matches that price rather than go for a specific gun. Putting things in alphabetical order, in my opinion, would make that harder. I can see where you're coming from though, so I might make an alternate doc that lists the entries in alphabetical order and compare them.

>>52587972
>>52588014
>They're calibers. What so you mean "what they do"?
That's what I read, and that's how I described it in the ammo descriptions. You're right in that that's all the explanation they need, but they don't seem to be explained at all. Maybe they can be put in that space that describes the compatibility between 5.56x45mm and .223 Remington.

>>52587984
>>52588014
Much appreciated.
>>
>>52588128
> I guess I'm going off the assumption that the players are looking for good stats for a given price instead of specific guns. Say they have 20 wealth points and they're looking for a gun in that price range.
t
That's where that cheap category comes in.

I do agree that the calibers damage should be near the guns.
>>
>>52588128
>Maybe they can be put in that space that describes the compatibility between 5.56x45mm and .223 Remington.

But they're not compatible. They are new chamberings that require their own barrels, bolts and the like. The only thing that makes them "special" is that they fit in AR 15 mags natively.
>>
>>52588196
OK, so why not make new entries for those alternate calibers, like the MP5's numerous calibers? The MP5 has separate entries for its 9x19mm, 10mm Auto, and .40 S&W chamberings.
>>
>>52588235
I'm not following what you're saying here, the only way you can get an AR-15 with a different caliber than 5.56 is by building one, which makes it an entirely seperate rifle by RAW.
>>
>>52588252
This.

But I probably could find some off the shelf examples of the calibers.
>>
>>52588252
I don't really get what you mean either. Does that mean you need to use the gunsmithing rules to make an M4 chambered in .458 SOCOM (for example), or are their M4 variants chambered in .458 SOCOM out of the box? If it's the former, I haven't gotten a good look at the gunsmithing rules, so that might be part of my problem. If it's the latter, they should have their own entries in the tables. I don't want to add any entries that aren't in the main book.
>>
>>52588329
It's the former, the rules don't have any .300 AAC chambered ARs as something you can buy off the shelf, so you have purchase the upper and lower separate and build it (or the GM will just add the two costs together and have it purchasable off the shelf)
>>
>>52588329
Its in gunsmithing. You can't buy a rifle in socom, but you can, IRL, buy one in 300 blk now.

When 300 blk was added this was not the case.
>>
>>52588361
OK, that makes sense. I'll make a note of that.
>>
>>52588389
although thinking about it, doesn't .300 AAC do really well in supressors?
>>
>>52588440
Wikipedia says it is. 9.39mm is too.
>>
>>52588440
At short ranges yes. That's why it has the damage it does. Easier to suppress.

Also, OpenOffice anon. If you finish that thing and email me, I'll add it to the blog for download.
>>
>>52588478
Well I also know it's got similar ballistics to 7.62x39 as well, so I figured that was the case.
>>
>>52588478
OK, but don't expect it anytime soon. I've been working on it for months, and I'm not sure if or when it'll be completed. I'll send it to you When It's Done (TM).
>>
>>52588511
Yep.

>>52588512
No rush man. Glad to see people actually using my system.

Email me about joining oatscrew.

[email protected]
>>
File: rifle won't zero.jpg (140KB, 847x960px) Image search: [Google]
rifle won't zero.jpg
140KB, 847x960px
>>52588534
>No rush man. Glad to see people actually using my system.

I do what I can. I've never actually run a game with it. I've got some ideas, but right now I feel more like tinkering with things because autism.

>oatscrew
I am 23 and what is this.
>>
I kinda miss the old days when ammo prices were by caliber and not by grouping, I know it's like next to impossible now with all the new calibers. But I did kinda prefer it since it's a bit more sensible. 7.62x39 being in heavy makes it so 1WP only gets you 20 FMJ, which I think is a bit crazy.
>>
>>52588579
Oatscrew is the dedicated team of autist that help me with this game in their own way.

While I am the sole writer and compiler of the books, there are a lot of people who have made contributions and allow me to tell them bad ideas that they reject and I ultimately abandon.

So to be oats crew is to be a recognized contributor and indentured servant.

>>52588598
Buy surplus!

Also yea man that shit was bloated as fuck! It really wasn't feasible to keep it like that.

Just be glad AK food isn't 20 bucks a box IRL.
>>
>>52588656
>buy surplus
>20% error range
It's not too bad, but hilariously it makes it more realistic with AKs jamming because of trash ammo.
>>
>>52588706
Also, note how error range is handled. Its no longer per shot. Its "per combat, and even then you have to roll poorly"
>>
>>52588744
Yeah, I remember that, because it used be "why ever bother using anything with an error range because it'd just jam"
>>
>>52588788
You, me, and all of oatscrew had the same damn question. So it got changed.

Its actually viable to use an er gun.
>>
>>52588656
Back again. So how do I join oatscrew? Is it by email?
>>
>>52589576
Email me. I'll send you directions.
>>
>>52589720
Got it.
>>
File: WildfireAIMmembers.jpg (293KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
WildfireAIMmembers.jpg
293KB, 640x480px
So because not much is happening, I might as start telling a story, I'll be running a game in about 3 or so hours from now. same guy as >>52571020 didn't run the game last night because life got in the way at the last moment.

I'll give a quick run down of the party for now, there's me the GM, We have Lee playing our grenadier, with 9 int and wis. Currently he's got an AKS-47 which he's using as a ghetto RPK, sling, bipod and a laser sight. Also the only character with a rifle and armor. Character speaks english and german. Only character to forget a tent.

Next we have Bunny, the rabbit beastkin medic, she's got a cutdown shotgun, little armor because of her low strength and kitted out mostly in ammo and survival gear. Speaks english and swedish.

Finally we have Fox, the fox beastkin. Probably going to be the party face with 15 CHA. Eerily lawful evil goals, wants to be the queen of the island. She's the only character without armor, only wearing a motorcycle jacket, backstory includes being a gunsmith before becoming a merc. Uses a pair of gun gauntlets based on a S&W Model 13. Speaks english at the moment, player forgot to add in another language.
>>
>>52589772
>Uses a pair of gun gauntlets based on a S&W Model 13.

What the fuck..
>>
>>52589772
The party's overall goal is the same as Jagged Alliance 2, kill the evil queen and liberate the island. Currently they're dropping into the Omerta expy with their first objective is to meet up with the remnants of the resistance. Will be the first fight of the game once we get things going.
>>
>>52589915
Yeah, it's a little silly. But the setting itself is pretty anime as fuck, so I have no problems with it. Should be pretty fun to see how they use it.
>>
>>52589962
Oh ontop of the fact she has gun gauntlets she's using magic to fire acid enchanted .38 for 1d10 acid damage AND she's enchanted the gauntlets for acid damage on punch.
>>
>>52590094
Okay.jpg
>>
>>52590236
Speaking of, that extra acid damage won't be dealing any bleed damage right?
>>
>>52590998
No. Acid doesn't cause bleed.
>>
Bump for the weekend.

I'm a motherfucking Star boy.
>>
Does bleed damage still apply even when you get knocked unconcious from going into negatives, or do you just keep getting a -1 every turn?
>>
File: scarpup.jpg (84KB, 960x444px) Image search: [Google]
scarpup.jpg
84KB, 960x444px
Are there any rules for bullpup-tizing firearms that come off the shelf. Because thats a thing now.

Actually, come to think of it. What are the general differences in rules between bullpups and regular ARs?
>>
>>52593495
As of current, no. What I'm going to do in the next update is make some changes about that. I'm going to have each bleed die grant an additional -1 to the "Every turn", to about a maximum of an additional -3 or something.

>>52593663
>Are there any rules for bullpup-tizing firearms that come off the shelf. Because thats a thing now.

Permanent Fixed stock. Treat as Carbine.

>Actually, come to think of it. What are the general differences in rules between bullpups and regular ARs?

Se above.
>>
So >>52589772 here, the battle took place.
Things went pretty smooth and quick. The police took cover as our operators dropped in and took position behind sandbags, Lee moved forward to a beat up old car and was ambushed by two of the office who told him to drop his rifle and get to the ground. Fox pops off a surprise attack and crits one of them, causing him to drop with 1 core HP left. Initiative is rolled and bunny goes first, firing off two shots that ultimately miss. Lee goes next and jumps and blasts the one still standing with a burst from his AK, 7d6+2 crit drops him in one go. The other stands and bolts off as Fox plinks at him with her gauntlet, but fails to hit.

The remaining officers stay hidden while the others move up, attempting to ambush them, but this is quickly thwarted thanks to Bunny's good perception roll, spotting two hiding in and behind a building across the clearing. Lee sets up and autofires into the window, hitting the office inside but he nails his save and takes little damage. A shotgunner takes the chance and runs around the corner, nailing Lee with a good flanking shot, but his armor saves him. The one hiding behind the building moves forward and flanks Bunny, but is at a distance and misses his shot.

Bunny bolts off next turn and takes a snapshot at the flanker, but fails to hit. while Fox advances closer to the would be flanker. Lee drops down and lays a burst into the guy who shot him, putting him down with a great 23 damage crit. Not long after a rifle man bolts between two buildings and shoots Lee, but his armor soaks most of the damage.

Next turn Bunny runs over and blasts the rifle man, nailing him for 23 damage, then Lee sends a supressive burst his way, forcing him behind cover. Two shotgunners move on Fox, only for one to catch a round as he's running across, htting him hard. Fox retreats to the sandbags afterwards and readies an action to shoot one.
>>
>>52595236
One of the shotgunners going after Fox bleeds out, the other runs around the corner and takes a shot, finishing him off. The remaining rifleman also bleeds out, finishing the battle.

Everything went pretty smooth overall, Lee ate some damage because he got flanked alot, but otherwise it felt like everyone was shooting pretty good, even if the officers didn't have a ranged bonus.
>>
>>52595269
>>52595236

Fucking nice. Did the different ROF's for autofire/burst fire trip anyone up with ammo or anything?
>>
>>52595285
I've mostly handled the ammo and the police were using semi-auto only weapons and pump action shotguns, Lee was the only with an automatic weapon actually. They only looted one AR-15 and then Fox turned the rest into parts.
>>
>>52561532
SSB, you ready to shoot more Monolith Sunday?
>>
>>52595318
Hmn. Alright. Glad to know it's working as intended.

Thanks for the report.
>>
>SQuATS
Shit, I should check progress on Ops and Tactics more than once every six months.

Maybe I can get my group to play it if I show them this. They're not fans of... well, reading.
>>
>>52595487
Whut.
>>
>>52595510
Squats was a game written out of spite.

But like all things written out of spite, it's done well enough so that the person it was written /for/ can't complain.

Also enjoy it. You'd be the first reported person to ever use it.
>>
>>52595512
I was under the impression for some reason that you would be joining us.

It's Verz
>>
>>52595534
In your S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Game? Nah, I observe for reasons(Read: opinions), but I don't play.
>>
>>52561532
I just want to tell you I think what you've made is really neat.
>>
>>52597595
Thanks man!
>>
File: marine_smoking.jpg (24KB, 336x237px) Image search: [Google]
marine_smoking.jpg
24KB, 336x237px
>>52595269
>>52595236
"join a PMC group" they said "it will be just like the good old days in the army" they said "dont worry about bringing anything other than guns and ammo" they said

cant wait to get 75round drums and be the hero i know i can be
this game is very fun
>>
>>52598799

I appreciate it man. I'm actually working on fixing some minor erros and reformatting the gun sheet so that it's easier to use.

But thanks. I'm glad you like it.
>>
>>52598841
A good character sheet would be super useful for retarded people like me who learn with pictures
other than that A+
>>
File: mockup1.png (100KB, 976x880px) Image search: [Google]
mockup1.png
100KB, 976x880px
>>52598847
I'm working on that. I've even got a mockup.

But it's slow cause I can't draw.
>>
SSB, what are the more 'out there' ideas have you considered for this game? You have fantasy and a near(ish) future supplement, any plans or past ideas for others?
>>
>>52599439
I din't really ahve any, unfortunaltely
>>
>>52599439
Oh! Wait Yes I did!

But all of those things are going in the Space Fantasy setting Kandai.
>>
File: 1485476735404.jpg (83KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
1485476735404.jpg
83KB, 1024x684px
Anyone running any games that need a player?
>>
>>52601856
How about legged vehicles so people can play METAL GEARRR and shit.

I know you already said you wouldn't, but I might as well bug you about it.
>>
>>52604496
>I know you already said you wouldn't, but I might as well bug you about it.

Play Mechwarrior.

Feature creep is a real thing in RPGs. I try my best to avoid it.
>>
I'm gonna do one more bump then I'm gonna let it die.

It's been fun guys, I'm going to make all these fixes that I said in the thread. Expect something by the end of the month, I suppose.
>>
File: 50BMG-Revolver.jpg (97KB, 800x625px) Image search: [Google]
50BMG-Revolver.jpg
97KB, 800x625px
>>52606928
God speed SSB.
>>
>>52607160
Onee-chan stop, it won't fit!
>>
SSB removed goblins because they were boring, apparently.

So I revised them.

https://pastebin.com/7MjD4vmQ
>>
>>52607548
Omnivorous variant (-1 CHP, lose the Carnivore quality)

https://pastebin.com/ef3u0Hig
>>
>>52607845
and now they can subsist and breed on just about anything edible until they swell their numbers enough to take over and eat everyone in town and then the farms and surrounding livestock. or take over an island and enslave the people to harvest meat from the sea for them, and eat the disobedient alive as a lesson to those who disobey.
>>
>>52607845
>Goblins can not use Colossal or Gigantic sized weapons, can not use Huge weapons unless prone or kneeling, take a -2 penalty when using all Large sized weapons, and take a -1 penalty when using all Medium sized weapons.

does a small pistol caliber carbine count as a medium sized weapon or below medium?
>>
>>52607845
>>
>>52607977
I dunno, check the weapon list.
>>
>>52607977
At a quick glance, there are SOME.
>>
>>
How would you model angled foregrips? Just as regular foregrips?
>>
>>52608855
Regular foregrips.
>>
>>52608855
yeah.
>>
File: Zell_Dincht.jpg (164KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
Zell_Dincht.jpg
164KB, 640x448px
>>52608997
>>
File: Bisque is small 1.png (27KB, 495x284px) Image search: [Google]
Bisque is small 1.png
27KB, 495x284px
>>52608997
how would you model a bullpup select fire 9mm carbine for a scaled down human?
>>
>>52609223
SBR it, probably.

Thie issue is the stock. The stock makes a weapon bigger and in the current gun system, it's not really built to handle "Mini stocks"

So I'd probably give them something without a stock, or give them a removeable or Intergrated stock instead.
>>
>>52607548
you should make more speices
>>
>>52609269

You know, you could make species too. There's a race creator at the bottom of the core rulebook that you could use.
>>
File: tkb_022pm_by_ohlopkov-d6wc16h.jpg (146KB, 850x515px) Image search: [Google]
tkb_022pm_by_ohlopkov-d6wc16h.jpg
146KB, 850x515px
>>52609251
>Intergrated stock

like this?
>>
>>52609336
Yeah, but rules wise it would be an "Integral" stock. Not a permanent fixed stock.
>>
>>52609269
I'll take that as a pretty big compliment, thanks.

>>52609327
Yeah, that's what I used to make sure the race wouldn't be unbalanced.
>>
File: 0000303.jpg (42KB, 1089x630px) Image search: [Google]
0000303.jpg
42KB, 1089x630px
>>52609336
No he means like this.
>>
>>52607160
excellent illustration of how 50 cal doesn't always mean "50 cal", merely that there is 50 cal
>>
>>52587930
nice image
>>
I'm wondering if this would work well in a game set in Altis or Chernarus.
>>
>>52610968
What are those settings?
>>
>>52611037
the settings for ARMA ii and ARMA iii
one is a fictional post soviet country on a fictional inland sea based on the Black Sea
the other is an island nation in the Indian ocean that NATO and China both want and is ruled by some dictator who hates human rights and murdered half his own population for not liking what he likes.
>>
>>52561532

tommygun or kriss vector 45 acp?
>>
File: blood splatter.png (785KB, 720x486px) Image search: [Google]
blood splatter.png
785KB, 720x486px
i feel like it would be interesting to defeat encounters in this system by driving targets to attempt suicide since there are so many ways for the suicide attempt to go wrong and the system manages to reproduce some of these.
>>
>>52611784
I fucking wish I had a tommygun.

>>52611098
Good for gunfights, probably not for much else. ARma seems more suited to things like TW2000
>>
>>52612090
Wait whut.
>>
>>52612159
Might be fun to use this system to do a 40k game - just come up with stats for the 40 wargear n stuff
>>
>>52613334
I mean there are is no small number of lists and detailed descriptions of 40k weaponry, and what is more powerful than what, represented in stats, and ranges compared to each other
>>
File: 98eb71b4883b82df29b40e38d9beacba.jpg (120KB, 736x1048px) Image search: [Google]
98eb71b4883b82df29b40e38d9beacba.jpg
120KB, 736x1048px
>>52613352
plus there aren't decent 40k systems out there
>>
>>52613362
pls :3
>>
>>52613334
That would be pretty intresting, actually.
>>
OH wait, there's no survival skill from what I can see, what is a good substitute for it?
>>
>>52618578
>OH wait, there's no survival skill from what I can see, what is a good substitute for it?

Roleplay.
>>
>>52618578
>>52618693
Or an untrained Knowledge check or adding a Knowledge(dirtwise) as a counterpart to streetwise, with some perception tossed in for seasoning
>>
>>52612144
Not the other anon, but T2k does do ArmA much better. Ops and Tactics seems to be a lot more about small unit actions (Especially special operations stuff) than actual conventional warfare. Ops and Tactics is Metal Gear Solid, and T2k is ArmA, so to say.
>>
>>52620424
Exactly.
>>
>>52620424
So far it seems to work for Jagged Alliance 2 as well. At least if the game I'm running says anything.
>>
>>52594406
Question for u from a fellow kommando
What about an ..458 Socom AR-15?
What damage value should I use
Since I lose magazine capacity?
>>
>>52623695
>What about an ..458 Socom AR-15?

I have no idea. I don't know how to model that. What is the ballistic data on .458?
>>
>>52623732
isn't .458 already statted?
>>
>>52623977
Oh! So it is.

I never use it I forgot it was a thing.

it's 3d12.

What do you mean by damage value then?
>>
>>52624065
Yeah, to be fair .458 SOCOM shows up maybe 5 times in the whole rule book, and half of it is on the weapon table for AR building
>>
>>52624170
Yeah. It's primarily just for AR-15s. 3d12 is a weird damage spread, though.
Thread posts: 274
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.