[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When was the moment your campaign died?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: I'm surrounded by baffoons.jpg (29KB, 569x427px) Image search: [Google]
I'm surrounded by baffoons.jpg
29KB, 569x427px
Dearest /tg/, when did your campaign die off?
I'll be the first to start. We were all playing Shadowrun, but the DM introduced some eldritch abominations and crazy cults that the players got sick of really fast. In the last game we played, we were incredibly bored of the circumstances. In a moment of boredom, I screeched RAINBOW ROAD!!! Killed it right then and there.
>>
When I decided it was a good idea to include two players into my Traveller game who both worked shifts and weekends at different times. Nearly impossible to get them to sit down and throw some dice on the same day.
>>
Life reared its ugly head and punched our GM in the dick until he wasn't able to run the game for us anymore.
Really bummed me out, the game was fun, the GM was cool, and us players all seemed to bounce off each other really well. RIP
>>
File: ec8.jpg (187KB, 1300x726px) Image search: [Google]
ec8.jpg
187KB, 1300x726px
>>52556463
>Campaign 1.
Ran for about ten years. Managed to keep it someone consistent and wrap it up before all my players got busy with life.

>Campaign 2
Ran for about..eight years? I wanted to round it off and end it, but the players wanted more and more of the same and it eventually got dragged out into an unfinished mess. At this point more and more people are busy with work/family/uni and whatnot.

>Campaign 3
Abortive attempt when all the players I gathered for it had a dramabomb and fell out.
>Campaign 3.2
I personally got frustrated at players because there was always someone missing or something happening that made it irksome to plan for.
>Campaign 3.3
Replaced all the players and now trundling along. Lots of interest and support from them. Hoping to get good milage out of this one.
>>
most recent campaign has lasted 2 years. players say they are still very much interested in playing, but only 1 or 2 show for the sessions, with everyone canceling last minute.

Last minute isn't even a good word for it. Everyone says they're coming to the game. I drive an hour to a friends house so it's more convenient for my players. call everyone at arranged game time and hear "oh yeah, i forgot, i can't come", and it's happened every week since September. Eventually I got sick of my players wasting MY time, so I just stopped trying.

Worst part, they still call almost every week asking if we're gaming.
>>
>>52557808
That was me in 3.2
Move on. The people who are actually interested will make time for you. People who are wishy washy will eventually drop out.
>>
>>52558011
yeah, i'm currently doing some worldbuilding for my next campaign for a new group, very excited.

but that campaign was my baby, and it kills me that it'll never be resolved.
>>
>>52556463
When I stupidly decided to branch a short, successful adventure into a published campaign. It could have left off as a pretty good ~8 session game, but in the middle of part 2 we've had

>a player switch jobs, throwing their schedule out of wack
>a player move, who we (unsuccessfully) tried to include via skype
>a player join who only talks to make stupid jokes

And a fourth player who never responds if he can make it or not until the day of, which is when he tells me he's too busy that day. He then tells me all about the campaign he's been planning, which will never happen because he can't schedule for shit.
>>
File: 1476760378271.jpg (46KB, 600x573px) Image search: [Google]
1476760378271.jpg
46KB, 600x573px
>first campaign
Laster for about 2 years, we had many a great adventure and our travels ended when we saved the town from an undead/orc invasion and killed the evil necromancer that controlled them. After that, the DM had to focus on school/work. Now that he's done with school and out of work, one of the other players is now trying to 'trim the fat' of his life and be a responsible adult thats not allowed to have free time or fun, and no one else wants to play without him since he was kind of important to the next arc of the story. So that campaign is on haitus indefinitely.

>second campaign
Began shortly after the first. Forever DM finally got a chance to play and Mr. Responsible from the first campaign was the DM this time. He invited two newbies from his work and they flaked on him repeatedly until the he lost all hope. I think this is partly why Mr. Responsible no longer wants to play D&D.

>third campaign
Began recently and is still ongoing. One of the players from the first campaign started DMing this one and he's doing a pretty good job. Everyone is having fun and he's good at improv. My only complaint is that a newbie That Guy plays the game as if he were the main character and I almost want to quit because of this asshole.
>>
Running a 5e adventure, 5 players I grabbed from various places. 2/5 made goofy joke characters, including a tiefling barbarian because
>Lol half demon with a big sword
Made it to session three, one player would always be playing video games mid session, I shit you not he asked us to wait for him to finish a level at one point. Then the two goofy ones would always pull lolrandumb chaotic neutral shit. I quit running the game after a cards against humanity game was set up and played during a session. Took the two decent players and ran a different game, and that's how I learned not to play DnD.
>>
File: 1488222109818.gif (495KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
1488222109818.gif
495KB, 500x283px
>>52556463
>Be me
>Playing generic as fuck D&D railroad camapign about killing some lich, spooky mystery identity, nobody gives a fuck, tone is pretty light.
>I'm dying inside
>Eventually get a chance to put his game on hiatus.
>I run a very open sandbox in a different system, take cues from player goals, try my damnedest to give players options, let them get into scrapes and decide what's fun
>nobody can handle freedom, game slowly dissolves into a waste of time
>Fabricate ending nobody approves of
>Go back to playing friend's railroad
>pic related
>>
File: 1475239616337.jpg (214KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
1475239616337.jpg
214KB, 600x620px
Maybe you should just make a game that doesn't have those abominations in it.
>>
File: It's a clean burning Hell.gif (954KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
It's a clean burning Hell.gif
954KB, 400x300px
Congrats, you've played yourself
>>
>Built up a game of Adventure! in the Victorian era
>Allow a pic with low combat skills and bad optimization to join
>He whines and complained passive aggressively in every single session about how he doesn't have enough to participate in.
>I drop the game, mid session, mid scene, due to one of his fits
>Rebuild the time slot with an entirely different game and cut him out like the cancer he is

Fuck yeah, now we're playing Firefly bitches
>>
>first game run by this guy
>group of paranormal investigators in 1800s Europe, basically Pride and Prejudice meets Ghostbusters, shit is moderately cash
>DM overthinks everything, gets really into ideas that we don't give a shit about, mishandles PC motivations, and eventually drops game
>I retire my character and pick up DMing it to try to salvage something, lead to a lame and unsatisfying ending
>second game run by this guy
>space opera set on board giant space station
>DM makes a total mess of a plot, makes huge deal out of unimportant shit, barely glosses over world-changing events, DM gets mad at us for our players having no motivation or agency, every NPC has the same goals and personality, eventually drops game
>not touching that shit again
>>
>>52559471
>completely open sandbox
Buddy, the only people who make those work are people who might as well be DM'ing instead of you in the first place
>>
>>52559141
Tabletop is about the only thing where the saying "don't hate the players, hate the game" is completely incorrect.

Hate the players, not the game.
>>
First Campaign: Join one at my uni through a group. It goes well until my friend who I thought wanted to play quit randomly. Game is currently on permanent hiatus.
Campaign 1.5: Join a game at my local game store. It's Rise of Tiamat. Get part way through it, before quitting due to school reasons.
Campaign 2: Meet more people through a D and D club at my uni, starting playing with them, so far so good.
Campaign 3: play with some of my friends, unfortunately it is on hiatus due to exam season.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.