[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>when your investigative/social heavy campaign suddenly has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 1415464698287.jpg (18KB, 407x552px) Image search: [Google]
1415464698287.jpg
18KB, 407x552px
>when your investigative/social heavy campaign suddenly has a combat encounter
How do you deal with this?
>>
>>52541834
so long as it's still balanced it should be fine

there should also be a lot more focus on the consequences of the violence, you can get an entire session's worth of social drama out of the fallout of someone getting killed in a duel or bar-room brawl
>>
>>52541834
Hold out pistols and pugilism.
>>
>>52541834
Every puzzle has an answer! And sometimes that answer is violence!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlSj74equS0
>>
File: thetwelvematchsticklimit.jpg (30KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
thetwelvematchsticklimit.jpg
30KB, 600x450px
>>52541834
Hope the PCs knew what they were breaking off when they broke it off.
>>
>>52541834
I handle this the same way I handle all musclebound villains, with tears
>>
File: comic268_zpse6ac6381.png (106KB, 650x675px) Image search: [Google]
comic268_zpse6ac6381.png
106KB, 650x675px
>>52541834
I've always been partial to running away. Or meatshields.
>>
File: After_the_Curious_Village.jpg (10KB, 162x364px) Image search: [Google]
After_the_Curious_Village.jpg
10KB, 162x364px
Treat the combat encounter as yet another puzzle to be solved
>>
>>52541834

Use the environment to do the fighting for you. Even the physically unsuited for combat can drop an anvil onto an ogre if they prepare.
>>
>>52545032
That's all well and good but you're not always going to be in an optimum environment anytime someone decides to attack you.
>>
>>52541834
Even Agent Mulder had to get his hands dirty a few times.
>>
>>52546273
Doesn't mean you can't throw some sand, break some chairs, or blow some gas mains
>>
In a historical sense if you were heavy into politics back in the medieval-to-rennaisance chances were you knew a thing or two about fighting wether it be fencing or dueling. It aint Fighter or Pugilist level but it will still do in a pinch altough i imagine such a battle to be more like the one in princess bride agaisnt inigo montoya.

Also BTW I would love to play an RPG as a character like professor Layton. Or atleast some kind of independantly wealthy Gentleman of action. Such a cool trope.
>>
>>52541834
what like the mundane enemies end up attacking the mundane heroes? Or the combat equipped enemies end up attacking the mundane heroes? If it's the former I try to draw player attention to an alternative strategy to exit or end the combat without prolonged beating eachother to death: dropping chandeliers, tricking people into traps, just flat out running away. If the latter, I just let the heroes die for being idiots and getting into a fight. I drag it out so it doesn't come out of nowhere all in one turn, but save for that provision, no holds barred. Everyone dies.
>>
>>52545032
>>52547130
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiEX2OL5o-M
>>
Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.