[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best systems for a silly oneshot?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: WWWGS-900x545.jpg (179KB, 900x545px) Image search: [Google]
WWWGS-900x545.jpg
179KB, 900x545px
I've heard of a few ideas, including a wrestling based system (pic related obviously) but I was curious what experience other fa/tg/uys had with these sort of sessions.

For reference, it's a fairly new group that I've been DMing through Curse of Strahd in D&D 5E. We've got two sessions ahead of us where we'll be missing a player and everyone decided rather than not meet at all it'd be fun to just do oneshots with the players who can make it.

We're looking for something rules-light, RP heavy, and with a lot of potential for shenanigans. Anyone have particular ideas, or similar experiences to share?
>>
Maid RPG. Seriously.

Despite the slightly distasteful layer of japanese perversion, it's an honestly amazing comedy game perfect for utterly ridiculous one shots, full of zany hijinks and absurdist humour. It's legitimately amazingly designed, with its mechanics perfectly suited to its goals as a system.
>>
>>52541748
Paranoia. Paranoia is the greatest one shot machine to ever exist. Also probably one of the best games to exist.
>>
>>52541800

Seems funny but not everyone in the group is super into that sort of genre so I feel like it'd be hard to get everyone into the idea.

>>52541843

It sounds fun, but I'm worried it'd be hard to keep everything lighthearted when it sounds like players are encouraged to betray each other a lot.
>>
Any other thoughts on this?
>>
>>52541748

Either whatever system you're used to, only play fast and loose with the rules, or a one page system like lasers and feelings.

I run GURPS so I'd use that. In your case I'd use 5e. Any system is easy if you know it well, can wing it and don't take it too seriously.
>>
>>52541964
You could create an atypical scenario where every player discovers that every other player is also a mutant and guilty of treason, so instead of betraying each other, they put on the pretense of betraying each other in order to appease the computer while they try to escape or take down a specific aspect of the computer that they don't like. Like reprogramming the computer into giving infrareds better meals, or something.
>>
File: 1471594041696.jpg (1MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1471594041696.jpg
1MB, 1200x1200px
>>52541748
Risus is generally considered the rules-lightest RPG and it fits what you're describing to a 't'.

Pair it with the One-Page Dungeons found here: https://www.dungeoncontest.com/opdc-2016

and you've got instant fun one-shots without anyone having to learn any complex rules.
>>
>>52541748
Fuck.

These threads annoy me to hell and back, not because there is anything wrong with them, but because my almost-ready-but-not-yet-printable system is made for these kinds of fucking hijinks. But it ain't ready yet so I can't recommend it.

>pic related is my current printed beta

Fuck my life
>>
File: 20170405_055204.jpg (163KB, 1032x581px) Image search: [Google]
20170405_055204.jpg
163KB, 1032x581px
>>52546591
>forgot pic, how typical
>>
OP what you want is Dungeon World

It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there. It has fast easy to use mechsnics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars. There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters. Dungeon World is fast and innovative and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players.

You want fast, intuitive combat? Dungeon World does that.

You want real, deep roleplaying mechanics? Dungeon World does that.

You want great mechanics that reward diversity of play? Dungeon World does that as well.

My last session of Dungeon World my human fighter wrapped a vampire in a bear hug and wrestled him out a window. This is real roleplaying we are talking about here, not babby 3.5 shit. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Dungeon World today, it is an evolution and perfection of the half-formed ideas in Apocalypse World (the game it is derived from)
>>
>>52546635
Ugly copypasta has no place here.
>>
>>52546852
It's true though. Dungeon World is probably the best RPG currently on the market.
>>
>>52541748
ran what was going to be a oneshot due to writer's block. turned into the largest derail i have ever had a part of.
>Players work at one of the world's oldest carnivals, also has an "antique" side with freakshow and other odd shit.
>security guard with a drinking problem
>mechanic with a klepto problem
>world's strongest woman
>female clown.
>people start realizing there are odd goings on when kids start going missing from the mirror maze, but no one really remembers them, even their parents. instead of being a BIG FUCKING DEAL, it gets smoothed over.
>end up going through huge ass long campaign that was a ton of fun to run, took us weeks to get through (playing almost every day for 8-10 hours)
>ended with the ringmaster of the circus portion summoning a minor lovecraftian horror that we shut the fuck down by pure ass luck.
if you keep it smaller than i let it become, it might be a good one-two shot game.
>>
Crab Truckers, Lasers and Feelings, Or the one where you use Kung fu to fight through buildings of enemies in in wu shut new hersey ( can't remember the name, if the thread is still up tomorrow i'll delve into my pdfs and see what I have.
>>
File: Mutant Future (No Art).pdf (5MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Mutant Future (No Art).pdf
5MB, 1x1px
Gamma World is very fun for one-shots. Alternatively, Mutant Future.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.