[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Adventure Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: laspar tree.png (431KB, 622x622px) Image search: [Google]
laspar tree.png
431KB, 622x622px
Rom, Azar, Glaza, and Trist, stay the fuck out. You know who you are.

/tg/, I need some help. My D&D 3.5 PCs (located in Tethyr in the Forgotten Realms, 1372 DR if you want to know) are soon to journey into an elven forest to gather 10 laspar moths (the laspar tree is the middle tree of pic related; the moths are 4" long with an 8" wingspan) for a local apothecary. Problem is, I don't know how to make this little mini-adventure interesting. What can I do with a moth-gathering adventure to make it fun and unique, something they'll enjoy and remember? I was considering some skill challenges (chasing the moths around, having to do skill checks to catch them, that sorta thing) but that seems a little boring to do 10 times.

Can /tg/ lend me its brain and help out a DM with some cool suggestions?
>>
>>52540203
>It's a "fetch 20 bear asses" quest.

Lame.
>>
>>52540255
They're level 2 and got the quest at level 1. I never do these kinds of fetch quests but I thought once might shake things up for the group a little. Any suggestions to make it more interesting than usual?
>>
>>52540298
>They're level 2 and got the quest at level 1.
So what? Hey, here's an idea. Let your players do cool shit maybe? Let 'em kill a dragon or something. Let them do something exciting and thrilling and dangerous. Y'know, an actual adventure?
>>
>>52540369
This is literally one thing they're doing on the way back from an actual adventure? It's supposed to be a minor thing to get them in good with a local apothecary and make a friend. They're not complaining about it, why are you? I just wanted advice to make it a better encounter, you seem to have a bug up your ass about this issue.
>>
>>52540203
Think about different places in the forest they might have to go to get these moths. Maybe they follow one into a cave. The tree could be home to a creature they have to contend with to safely catch the moth
>>
>>52540409
Well for one you're creatively bankrupt and expecting us to do your job for you. Let me guess, the adventure was clearing out a goblin cave. Kobolds maybe? Rats in a basement?

You probably started them off in a caravan too, you lazy asshole. Fuck you.
>>
>>52540203
The dofference between busy work and adventure is that you're not sure if you'll come back from an adventure.

You can still have them collect the moths, but make it a conflict in some way. Maybe the moths are sacred. Maybe these are the last 8 of their species. Maybe they're sapient, and would really prefer not to have their wings torn from their bodies, thank you.

You can learn a lot about your group from how they handle things like this.
>>
>>52540512
No, the adventure is delivering a love letter to a now-ghoulified elven hero to put his soul at rest.

Also, they started in a tavern in the home town of one of the PCs that was attacked by a rogue imp a wizard managed to summon and starting causing havoc and tormenting people. They just fell into a group at that point.

Like I said, they're having fun, what the fuck do you care. Piss off if you aren't gonna be helpful.

>>52540555
Do all adventures require the threat of death though? I see what you're saying here and it sounds solid, but I'm not sure if I want to make a little light-hearted moth gathering into a deeper philosophical issue. Maybe I'll make the moths sacred to a local druid though, that might be interesting. They'll have to bargain with him to earn the right to harvest the moths, and maybe they get less than they need. Some good thoughts, thanks.

>>52540481
Also good thoughts. Thank you as well.
>>
>>52540512
Sounds like someone needs a nap.
>>52540555
This.

key phrase: elven forest

Faerie dragons, redneck hick wood elves, pixies, dryads, ents, bears, getting lost in enchanted forest, & etc are the challenges. They shouldn't be able or need to kill all of them to succeed.
The moths are not the big challenge.
Fey are fun, maybe they charge an odd fee, like memories, or the color of their eyes.
>>
>>52541072
Huh, fey. I completely spaced the idea of using fey to spice things up. Thank you for the reminder, I'm thinking that perhaps the moths are sacred to a dryad who has bonded with a laspar tree and guards a grove of the trees against intruders. To harvest some of the moths, the party has to bargain with/prove themselves to the dryad somehow. I like the idea that the fey charges them in memories, maybe a memory per 2 moths? That way the party can get all the moths relatively easily (there are 4 PCs and one NPC hireling) but they have to give up something pretty important. Good RP scenario too.

Thank you for that suggestion, really helpful.
>>
>>52540643
>Do all adventures require the threat of death though?
>Do all adventures require the threat of death though?
There must be some risk of some sort. Usually violence is that risk. Risk of failure works but lots of players want to shootystab things fairly regularly. Your group might love using charisma and athletics to succeed.
>>
>>52541234
Fair enough. I'll keep that in mind when designing the scenario. Your advice is well-taken and appreciated.
>>
File: !fey warriors.jpg (464KB, 850x638px) Image search: [Google]
!fey warriors.jpg
464KB, 850x638px
>>52540203
The laspar moths are nesting in the hair of a grumpy 428-year-old level 19 gnome druidess who casts spells at random and will not tolerate the presence of inquisitive demihumans for more than a few rounds.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.