[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Song of Swords: Pike block edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 47

File: 1406505308914.jpg (312KB, 684x782px) Image search: [Google]
1406505308914.jpg
312KB, 684x782px
Last time on Song of Swords:
Space fantasy Poland
Paper armor
Satan witnessed our kickstarter (he was pleased)
Combat nerds and math
Jimmy got in the local news

The KS link & Opaque's website
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2006613790/song-of-swords-tabletop-roleplaying-game
http://www.songofswords.net/

Song of Swords is a a tabletop RPG centered around realistic medieval fightan' with a ludicrous variety of weapons and fighting styles, centered around a dice pool system. It's currently in beta, and can be used for both fantasy and historical games. The Kickstarter was nearly 300% funded, and we're on the fast track to kicking ass baby.

Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

MEGA folder containing current version of the game and all supplementary materials.
Note that the latest version of the game is v1.9.9 but with additional supplements. It's NOT what's currently on Opaque's website, because Jimmy is Jimmy.
https://mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
http://tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: https://app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

Last Thread: >>52424154

The Legend never ends
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (75KB, 450x644px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
75KB, 450x644px
What are some good time periods to set campaigns in where the players can get into armed fights, that aren't wars where they're thrown into a meatgrinder?

The ones that come to mind are privateering/piracy in the Carribean with a letter of Marque, the Bakumatsu, the Spanish conquest of the Aztexs and maybe the Boxer Rebellion
>>
>>52534907
The British East India Company in India.
>>
>>52534907
Electoral spats in the HRE? Norman-Saxon clashes in early England? Viking raiders? Border skirmishes in pre-reconquista Iberia? Sarmatian conquest of Scythia? The Balkans, always. Disputes between minor nobles in pre-Mongol Caucuses?
>>
THE FLAIL SNAIL CANNOT BE DENIED
>>
>>52534907
Low intensity border reivers in the Scottish Lowlands, doing the raiding, having the raids done to you or more likely raiding back and forth.
>>
>>52537113
For that matter, any place in the British Isles at any time.
>>
>>52534907
All kinds of skirmishes possible in the Sengoku era too, in between the bigger campaigns and battles.
>>
I'm going to be trying to run Dark Sun in SoS. How apocalyptic would it be to have Ohanedin in a world where metal is really scarce?
>>
CotV seems really biased towards single shot rifles at anything past melee range. There is no reason not to carry one especially when things like Rapid Reload and Double Tap exist
>>
>>52539208
As in real life.

>but assault rifles--

Armies that don't consist of raving durkas tend to use their assault rifles in single shot mode 99 percent of the time.
>>
>>52539208
This isn't clearly reflected in the rules, but rifle cartridges fired in space ships can pierce the hull and release a deadly gas contained in the superstructure. So pistol cartridges are the biggest round you can use most of the time. In the close, stop and pop quarters of a ship, SMGs are fantastic. Dat +8 dice.
>>
>>52539278
b-buh muh suppresive fire
>>
>>52539380
Sorry, void ships and not space ships. Real ships aren't made of whale bone.
>>
>>52539393
Mooostly the job of the guy with the SAW, but even then a section of troops can suppress fairly well with rapid single fire too. Burst/auto fire is just not terribly commonly used by riflemen outside of emergencies.
>>
>>52539644
Does it make sense for historical SMG troops to use SMGs in the current system?
>>
>>52539682
I wouldn't know, I haven't been looking too deeply at Ballad. I just know that most of the time, modern professional armies tend to use their rifles in semi-auto mode because this is just plain better than spray-and-pray 99 percent of the time.
>>
>>52539682
What?
>>
>>52539769
I was drawing from >>52539208 's point and wondering if it had much validity and if it would render things like Soviet SMG platoons/companies as ineffective fighting forces.
>>
>>52533958
Two questions for the thread:

First, if an anon made a character creation program for you, would you prefer for it to be web-based, or would you rather have it be a standalone application? It should also be noted that whatever choice you all make, it will still be capable of exporting the character as a txt.

Second, any idea how long the most recent rules are going to stay 1.9.9? I really don't want to build this thing and have the rules change partway through. That's just demoralising.
>>
>>52539986
SMGs are really fucking good, so they work pretty well as in history.
>>
File: 1490415498103.jpg (69KB, 457x750px) Image search: [Google]
1490415498103.jpg
69KB, 457x750px
>>52540586
1. An application means when the rules DO update, you'll need to make a new application. A web based program would be updateable, no?
2. Do it anyway you absolute madman
>>
>>52540685
Except at 200m when a guy with a Republic Arms 1776 can just remove most of your chest by sneezing
>>
>>52540794
Yeah but is that actually a problem?
>>
>>52540794
Are you walking around outside of cover? Are you never entering buildings or cities? Submachine guns excelled in urban combat, within buildings, on streets, where range is much less important. Obviously if you're in an open field, a rifle will do better, but most actual engagements are going to happen at closer range.
>>
>>52541523
RAW a 1776 functions as well at 10m as 200m and can still be used to make peoples' respiratory systems turn into mist from behind cover just like an SMG
>>
>>52541751
Agh but my friend I can pull a full-auto with my Blish 19 and get far more dice on demand instead of having to aim first.

Some more differentiation for close-quarters might still be nice though.
>>
File: full auto.png (28KB, 637x208px) Image search: [Google]
full auto.png
28KB, 637x208px
gib thoughts
>>
>>52542155
I don't hate it but I'm not sure if I like it.
>>
>>52542344
I was thinking of the bonus from Full Auto halving with each range increment you pass. Would that help? Anything you particularly don't like?
>>
>>52541751
+2 dice for aim-shoot is a lot fewer dice than +8 for full auto.
>>
>>52542387
I don't think it needs to be any worse, I'm not sure I like how range as whole works right now but I don't have the expertise to say if it's realistic or not.
>>
Bumping for interest.

Does anyone have some advice for statting up some simple mooks, or perhaps some simple mooks already statted from your private games?

Also, I assume the best way to learn the combat is to build characters and throw them at each other?
>>
>>52544202
Generally speaking I just give mooks 5s in everything and 8 proficiency. 13 CP is a good number.
>>
File: anime_girl_reaction_face (59).jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
anime_girl_reaction_face (59).jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
Anyone looking to start up a game/group?

Anyone else looking at how many people backed the project from your general area and excited that other people who post here may be near you for some in person games?

>mfw 2 other backers in Brisbane
>>
>>52544779
Drive round and round the city screaming "Sarah Gizka did nothing wrong" until they find you.
>>
>>52544779
>Brisbane
I'm sorry for you anon.
>tfw melbourne
>>
Say I have four fighters, two teams of two.
And they fight for a while in a pitched melee, or maybe this happens just because theyve declared strangely and everyone targeted someone else, but
if A has init over C
and C has init over B
and B has init over D
but D has init over A
then who goes first?
>>
>>52544779
>>52546130
I regularly move between these two cities!
Small world I guess.
>>
File: riddled me that.jpg (32KB, 387x302px) Image search: [Google]
riddled me that.jpg
32KB, 387x302px
>>52547234
>>
>>52547234
Everyone dies?
>>
>>52547234
The game goes on hiatus indefinitely.
>>
>>52547234
I'd just start with whoever had highest ADR and go from there.

Does anyone have that picture of Gizka wearing the pepe hat? I need it.
>>
>>52547379
>>52546130
>>52544779

Online game when?
>>
>>52533958
Holy fuck the autism in this weapon list. I'm genuinely impressed.
>>
>>52550861
What do you mean?
>>
>>52551083
Come on now we know what he means, it's a much better reaction than "Justify your knifes" guy.
>>
>>52551373
i dont know, the weapon list seems like it was made in a hurry, some stuff appear arbitrary to say the least.
>>
>>52550595
I am open to such a discussion. No guarantees of anything however.
>>
>>52551444
Well you're not going to use them all in one campaign unless you're running something very odd.
>>
>>52553213
play a game where everyone is an eccentric german noble who uses some weird foreign weapon to fight
>khopesh
>urumi
>yari
etc.
>>
>>52551444
A lot of that is the result of us goading Jimmy into statting things out, and him rolling with it.
>>
>>52539208
You're supposed to not use them because you're supposed to be inside ships, and rifle rounds penetrate the ship's hull and risk killing everyone inside.
>>
>>52540794
Good luck hitting someone at 200m with a 10m pistol
>>
>>52541751
>RAW a 1776 functions as well at 10m as 200m
What? No it doesn't.

>RangeIncrement
>Theweapon’srange,firing past a weapon’s range increment grants the target +1 Defense permultipleoftherangeincrement."
>>
>>52555752
Uh... It's a 200m rifle? It does 20 damage with 25 AP and counts all chest hits as chest (vitals)
>>
>>52555805
10m is inside 200m friend. No range penalty. I assume you're the anon who thought it was a pistol? That's the RA 1991
>>
>>52544202
The best way to learn combat is to have someone teach you. If that's not possible then you want very similar characters who differ in only a couple of ways, and fight with them using basic maneuvers.
>>
>>52555811
>>52555844
Republican arms Wrath of God 1776 is a pistol

But now I see there's apparently a rifle also called the republican arms 1776
>>
>>52555896
Yeah it would suck to fire that at a guy with 23 Defence RS desu. I can see where you found the flaw in that plan
>>
>>52551444
What things in particular, quadman?
>>
>>52557830
Virtually all of it!
Why is a sidesword 7+1p but a rapier 6+0p? Why is a montante 7+2c while a zweihander is 7+3c? Why does flammenschwert have draw? What criteria determined the draws and +c of all the sabers, tulwar, and katana? Why are clubs better at parrying than swords?
>>
>>52557995
Well, the answer is complete arbitrariness. The Montante and Zweihander are cases of bad naming. They're supposed to be just slightly different versions of large two handed swords, but instead use two different names for the same sword. The Flammenschwert has draw for unfathomable reasons, probably their guess as to what the flame blade actually is for. It's such a small level of draw it never comes up anyway. Tulwars are better at cutting purely on their reputation among the British as "better at cutting". Clubs are better at parrying for some reason, but they also get your hand fucked up if you mess up with it. The rest are completely arbitrary, to give some differentiation. It's hard to name things as slightly different variants of the same weapon, and none of these have any standardization.
>>
How would you guys stat an early xiv century coat-of-plates?

Should I just use stats for brigandine?
>>
>>52558258
Use brigandine, maybe with a tiny bit more weight.
>>
>>52558309
Why are brigantine stats so bad?
>>
>>52558309
Thats what I thought, thanks.

>>52558118
Wasn't the tulwar based on that video by scholagladiatoria guy? Basicaly that the ball at the end of the pommel forces you to use deep draw cut? Other than that its a killij.
>>
>>52558118
This game says it has realistic combat. How can combat be realistic if everything is arbitrarily statted based on the writer's feelings?
>>
>>52558419
That can't be so. In game stats the kilij and tulwar are very different. The kilij is longer, has thrust 8+0p instead of 7-2p, and parry 7(2) instead of 8(2). And less draw. If the video said they're the same sword, these swords are totally different
>>
>>52558505
No I didn't meand that the video said its the same sword. I meant that based on it, jimmy took kilij and forced a permament deep draw cut maneuver on it. So that why its shorter range and greater draw. Annyways that was the gist of an answer i got some months ago when asking about why such a big difference between kilij and tulwar
>>
>>52558435
Well that feels a little unfair, a lot of time has gone into research and there comes a point where you must simply eyeball variation for the sake of difference. Some things have gone weird as they have been tweaking but the list of weapons around them have stayed the same.

If things have different names they're like referring to different things, like where we have a bastard sword and a longsword and we know those are just the same thing but we use different names to refer to variations on that same thing that are otherwise grouped together.
>>
>>52558258
Lamellar.
>>
>>52558398
Wearing a Brigandine over mail, as a Coat of Plates, gives you 6/7/5 which is pretty fucking good. Alone, it's a bit oddly lackluster against cuts but will stop an arrow or a thrust better than any mail. I'd give it 6/6/4 personally, but it's pretty good armor as is. Especially if plate armor doesn't exist yet.
>>
>>52558435
Things are getting changed quite frequently. Weapons have all changed since the last update, and they'll keep changing. If you have any ideas or concerns about weapons, this is exactly the time to voice them while they can be made less arbitrary.
>>
I take it ballad would be able to handle a campaign set in a slightly magical setting with 1925 tech level? Want to run a fantasy settings First World War and thought it would be better the sos to handle the tech and magic.
>>
>>52559017
Oh yeah Ballad is your girl.
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 322x456px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 322x456px
>>52559114
Good will definitlly give it a good read. Is it magic system at lest workable compared to SoS?
>>
>>52558118
>>52557995
I think the club's parrying ability was based on a Matt Easton video.

Montante and Zweihander represent different variations of greatsword, one of which has a less tip heavy blade and thus does less cutting damage but is easier to thrust with.

Similarly, the Sidesword would be tip heavier than the Rapier, thus the higher TN, but with a bit beefier blade and thus higher damage.

>>52559017
Ballad is designed for inter-war to late WWII style tech.
>>
>>52559209
It just about complete so that's a step up, it may be a little strong but it's super cool and it works. I love the Way of Five, right now I'm terrified of someone with blink and a grenade launcher.
>>
>>52558648
The only unfairness is claiming to have realistic combat when your weapon stats are mostly arbitrary.
>>
>>52558648
>>52558687
Did weapons all change or did they say the same? You are sending me mixed messages. The question is why are things started the way they are? All my questions above were answered with "they just are." Here's another one: why do warhammers have AP swing but not the lucerne hammer?
>>
>>52559217
I saw that video. All he said was you can party with a stick. He didn't say it was better than a sword.
>>
Where does it actually state the interaction between shield bashes and parries? Do I need shield proficiency to bash?? Can I do a double hit with a sword/shield? Does shield AV stack with armor AV? Are shields mandatory if not two handing? They seem super good
>>
Also what the fuck is a Hilt Push and is it good? More importantly though, is it COOL?
>>
>>52559961
Hilt Push is when you lock blades with your opponent and push. It's very good in the sense that you can both declare attacks and they automatically defend against each other, and yes, it is the coolest!
>>
>>52559545
>Where does it actually state the interaction between shield bashes and parries?
>Can I do a double hit with a sword/shield?
You'll find your answers in the maneuver text.
"Special: Weapon Defense Maneuvers made against a Shield Bash are made at +1 TN. Shield Bash cannot be
performed as part of any Simultaneous Maneuver, Off-Hand Maneuver or Double Attack."

>Do I need shield proficiency to bash?
No such thing, but Shield Bash is a universal maneuver.

>Does shield AV stack with armor AV?
Yes.

>Are shields mandatory if not two handing?
Not necessarily, some of the dedicated parrying daggers can be better with a lower TN and an automatic success from the Companion Weapon special rule. It's also much more conspicuous to carry a shield around a city than a Main Gauche or Truncheon. There's also the fact that most shields are fairly easy to Hew at this point, and that is not a good thing.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq9XltdITQY

How accurate is he on the history of longhair in feudal times?
>>
>>52551500
Pretty much my stance. Any other Aus/NZ anons interested in an online game?
>>
>>52559363
What do you mean by arbitrary? They are all an attempt to approximate the qualities of the weapon being portrayed based on what we know of them and how they were used in the closed way we can. What would make it non-arbitrary?

>>52559451
Weapons have been tweaked over time and will indeed be tweaked in the future, I don't personally see it as a burning indictment of the game right now. We'll autism it out, fine folks like yourself will get on Jimmy's shit and that'll carry us home.

To answer you on the hammers, I don't actually know it's a big list we'll bring it up when Jimmy comes back around.
>>
>>52560519
Your Discord?
>>
>>52559451
They are definitely changing, and they have changed quite a large amount already. They will keep changing, so more complaints about them are very important.
>>
Not really any idea how discord works but my number is #8650 if that's what you need to add me.
>>
>>52560495
There is no such thing as the monolithic medieval or feudal haircut. Long, short or otherwise.

What style was in fashion entirely depended on where and when you are talking about. Then as now fashions changed over time and we have plenty of accounts of older generations complaining about young peoples shameful habits including whatever new hair fad was in vogue.

Sometimes very short hair was in fashion, think of the distinctive Norman haircut sported in 1066. But just a generation or two later fashionable Anglo-Normans looked pretty much as whathisface in the video, to the consternation of monks such as Orderic Vitalis. Another couple of generations and chin length hair was the new hotness though many wore it shorter.

It is true that Germanic (including the Norse, English and the Franks) cultures, especially in the Early Medieval period, did use hair as a mark of social status with nobility generally wearing longhair and slaves very short. Germanic laws treated damaging a persons hair very harshly and the French especially thought that the King's hair had mystical properties to the point that rivals to the throne might be forcibly shaved.

The Catholic Church generally advocated shorter hair thanks to Paul's admonition in 1 Corinthians 11:14. However what precisely constituted short hair and how much people paid attention to this varied wildly over time and space.

The current bar for when long hair begins is pretty low by historical standards, but hair past the shoulders was considered long even by medieval standards and while in vogue in many times and places it was not the norm by any stretch of the imagination if you consider medieval Europe as a whole.

Beards of course add another whole dimension of complexity and what beard went with what hair again varied massively.

The rest of his history is varied to say the least, but that is unrelated to the topic of hair.
>>
>>52560984
>What would make it non-arbitrary?
Consistent criteria, of course. What you have now is highly inconsistent. Why does one saber have +1c draw 3 and another +0c draw 4? What decides what level of damage or draw a blade has? Other than curved swords have draw (except for the flammenschwert) there's no answer. Someone said sideswords are 7+1 instead of 6+0p like rapiers because it's a heavier and thicker blade. That's a start but it doesn't at all explain why a khopesh has swing 6+1c or why zweihanders have thrust 8+2p compared to montante's thrust 7+1p. And is the writer really saying montante thrust exactly as well as sideswords?
Why do clubs parry better than swords? Because the writer watched a video, apparently. Will it change when he watches another video?
You say "we." Are you one of the writers? Or is the weapon list an amalgamation of fan entries?
It seems different weapons of the same type (sabers, maces, thrusting swords) have different stats just because. Having different stats based on the writer's feelings towards them does not lead to realistic combat, and yet this game claims to have realistic combat. I don't believe its claims based on the answers I'm receiving here.
There are more oddities. Why is a claymore a 2handed sword but a basket hilted claymore is 1 handed? They look like completely different swords. So you have different names for slight variants of swords (longsword and bastard sword, zweihander and montante, gladius and short sword) and the same name for wildly different swords (these claymore)!
What is a tesshake?
And if TNs are about nimbleness like someone said above about sideswords, why is the large 2 handed club swing 6+1?
>>
One more thing. If I am reading the weapon attachment rules correctly, you can put a reverse hammer on a club? Isn't that just a warhammer then?

And the hammer part swings at TN 7 while the club continues to swing at its own TN, which may be 6? TNs can't be about nimbleness if I read that correctly.
>>
File: the face hugger.jpg (43KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
the face hugger.jpg
43KB, 720x480px
>>52559363
You seem confused none of the stats are arbitrary they are all decided upon after careful thought. No it's not the stats that are arbitrary but the the names. Which is completely realistic because every sword in it's native tongue is just "sword" (except the messer which is just knife)
>>
>>52561971
Need your number and name (:
>>
File: EUPHORIC.gif (3MB, 380x214px) Image search: [Google]
EUPHORIC.gif
3MB, 380x214px
>>52559363
Fuck right the hell off.
>>
>>52563146
Reverse attachments are smaller (therefore lighter) and less effective than weapons designed around that reverse attachments function. The situation with clubs is a bit of an oddity because of their low TN, yes, but think of it more as embedding a large lug into a bat than rebuilding it into a hammer. And you then need to hit with just that lug rather than anywhere on the bat.
>>
>>52563174
>>52563174
>You seem confused none of the stats are arbitrary they are all decided upon after careful thought.
I cannot tell if you are joking or serious. Other people in the thread admit they're arbitrary and I see little consistency to them.
>>
>>52563376
I see, but the opposite problem exists too. The forest and black bills have a swing of 8, but their reverse attachments have swing 7. How does that make sense? With military forks I can see the idea is it'd be very hard to cut someone with the fork edge on a swing, but a weapon attachment there gives a swing 7 attack...and where do you put the reverse attachment on a real military fork? Where does it go? With a bill or poleaxe there's a backside, but not on a fork.
>>
>>52563530
At some point in probably makes sense to go over the entire equipment list to tweak or rewrite the stats, both from a gameplay and a historical standpoint (preferably with the aid of more rigorous research where possible).

However the most important thing for Jimmy et al to do is make sure all the various mechanics work. Homebrewed equipment lists that cater to your individual tastes are considerably easier to produce than good rules for schools.

Heck, we could even start the task ourselves.

On the first thread after date X (to give people time to assemble data on any weapon they feel needs tweaking) we will be discussing the ballock dagger. Arguments over stats and fechting to try out new stat blocks will continue until a consensus via strawpoll is achieved. If that takes multiple threads due to controversy and relentless fechting then so be it.

After that we will consider the baselard, and continue until we have gone through the whole weapons list. Then we start on the armour. THEN we double check to make sure it all fits together, that the tweaks to an earlier weapon are not invalidated by a later one and to go over anything people felt wasn't adequately covered the first time.

It's a big project, but I imagine that for many weapons it will be quick with little or no changes and the bulk of the time will go to a handful of very controversial items.

If nothing else it will give us something to do and argue about, keeping the threads alive while Jimmy snorts $33k worth of cocaine.
>>
>>52563056
I don't know if you realize this, but simply being better or worse than other things is not only a completely valid classification system, it's what's used in scientific endeavours as well. Consider ppm δ shifts in NMR or Bayesian theorem comparisons or literally anything else that uses normalization. You just need a singular point of reference, to which all else is referred.

Because the way the items are statted, they are also abstracted. Their game mechanics are representations of real-world concepts. E.g. TNs are not "just" nimbleness, they represent increased benefit from increased effort and/or skill and/or lack of defense and/or other things that could cause a lack of CPs.

To make a game, stats have to pull double-duty. One method of doing this is by divorcing mechanics from fluff and just fluffing mechanics on-the-fly (the FATE style), but SoS wants to not be shit, so it tries to model systems, whenever possible, to the limit of what analysis and research can approximate.

Clubs parry better than swords ostensibly because research indicated that there was an argument to be made in that favor. I.e., evidence was presented and made the devs reconsider. That's what evidence is for. If you have conflicting evidence (and not simply rhetoric), I'm certain that we'd all be ecstatic to have more material on which to base the decisions.

If weapons are different than other weapons, they should have different stats, and if you have one statline on which everyone agrees, you just base all other weapons on comparisons to that weapon. If you don't understand why this is logically consistent, I highly recommend taking a course on first-order logic and relational systems. Even something as retarded as Actor-Network Theory might be new to you.

Naming conventions are odd because naming conventions are historically odd. The basket-hilted claymore is a claybeg, from Gaelic claidheamh beag ("small sword"), but those are known as claymores historically.

Fuck you
>>
File: 1485227722738.jpg (204KB, 1349x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1485227722738.jpg
204KB, 1349x2048px
>>52563422
Well that's just projecting your own incompetence
>>
>>52564069
>You just need a singular point of reference, to which all else is referred.
>And does SoS have one of these? If it does you neglected to mention it.
>Clubs parry better than swords ostensibly because research indicated that there was an argument to be made in that favor. I.e., evidence was presented and made the devs reconsider. That's what evidence is for. If you have conflicting evidence (and not simply rhetoric), I'm certain that we'd all be ecstatic to have more material on which to base the decisions.
That "evidence" was just a video of matt easton waving a stick on camera saying it's possible to parry with a stick, not that clubs were better at parrying than swords, yet that's apparently what the game's writer made it. It sounds you think the writers made scientific estimations for what weapon stats should be, but if that's so then it turns out to be a difficult-to-defend mess of inconsistencies.
>TNs are not "just" nimbleness, they represent increased benefit from increased effort and/or skill and/or lack of defense and/or other things that could cause a lack of CPs.
That is so broad that you could give anything any TN you want. And hardly consistent besides. I'd like to see what criteria, if any, the writer actually used to determine TNs

>Fuck you
If you were confident in what you were saying you wouldn't feel the need to scream at people who challenge your game's decisions
>>
And does SoS have one of these? If it does you neglected to mention it.
>>
>>52564369
One of what?
>>
>>52564346
>>That is so broad that you could give anything any TN you want.
No, the point is to look at what TNs do, you silly goose. They reduce the threshold for successful maneuver rolls. Maneuver roll pools are determined by CP, and they dictate
A) Odds of success
B) Results of success
Each of those are then further mitigated by
A1) The maneuver the opponent uses
A2) The effort (CP) the opponent uses

and CP used shows
A) How much effort is used
B) Depending on the maneuver, a bunch of mitigating factors
but A is a fraction of total skill, so it's more a matter of CP indicating how much skill is used in an absolute sense

In essence, it's not being fundamentally broad or nebulous, and you're being disingenuous if you claim it is. It's not axiomatic, but it is founded in central premises.

Nothing in this system is perfect, hell I make fun of Jimmy for his literally god-awful rules writing and oftentimes retarded rules for certain things all the time, but Jimmy listens to constructive criticism, which supplies alternatives and gives actionable suggestions, not just vaguely "this is imperfect" entry-level wankster critique.

>If you were confident in what you were saying you wouldn't feel the need to scream at people who challenge your game's decisions
My apologies, let me rephrase: Fuck you up the ass with broken glass, you rude little niggerdude.
>>
>>52564346
>>52564369
>>52564486
He accidentally green-texted. The question is, does SoS have a single reference point from which all else flows?
Well the beauty of it is, that you can actually simply set it wherever you like for any given weapon (i.e. a TN 7 +11001041040 damage for the longsword), and then say: well, the tulwar is more cutty than the longsword, so it gets a factor to represent the owies of the edge. This factor should be bigger than the cutty of the flammenschwert, which has very little, but that has more than the longsword too. The tulwar's about three times as cutty as the flammenschwert, so its cutty-factor's three times as high." and so on

Whether or not those relations are correct can be argued very well, and Jimmy's fixed a lot of them (personally, I think the Joint Thrust capabilities of Half-Swording are way, way overstated in comparison to those of e.g. polearms), but what those NUMBERS are, does not matter, as long as all numbers are RELATIONALLY correct. That their PROPORTIONS are correct.

These are really, really, REALLY basic mathematical principles at work.
>>
>>52564758
>Jimmy listens to constructive criticism, which supplies alternatives and gives actionable suggestions, not just vaguely "this is imperfect" entry-level wankster critique.

You're an overprotective faggot but this is completely true. Saying "this is bad" only helps as far as to provide something to focus on, which will take time and a lot more arguing. More specific suggestions is much more helpful in actually fixing things.

So, sabers could be looked at, hammers can be looked up, side swords can be looked at, clubs can be looked at. What else?
>>
>>52564868
Guns are dumb imo

I'm not sure what makes me overprotective. I think my hatred for poor reasoning is just conflated with a veneration of SoS
>>
>>52564840
>The question is, does SoS have a single reference point from which all else flows?
Yes, it did at first at least: the arming sword.
>>
>>52564346
>a game abstraction isn't 100% consistent and empirical
Call the presses, we have a story to run.

Yes, we're not playing Phoenix Command. The goal is to make weapons be used and incentivized in the rules to how they were used IRL. TNs represent an array of "ease of use" factors, and I can't explicate what those are because I'm not a designer, but frankly I know most of them are just eye-balled based on rough comparisons and minimal effort research.
The goal for this BETA VERSION of the game was to provide a robust and ready to use rule set that could be broken down and reconstructed through play. The weapon stats have been a large part of that continuing development, partly because of dithering assholes like you who get a truncheon up their ass about it, but at least most of them have provided historical evidence and cited sources to press claims, rather than your low grade whinging about how it all seems a bit silly to your untrained eye.

I want it to be a little more robust, and certainly more well designed. I have a laundry list of rules holes, loopholes, and broken mechanics that I am constantly pestering jimmy about, but just walking in, looking at the list, and saying "this doesn't seem entirely right" about an unfinished product? No shit.

The TNs are an abstraction, and a necessary one to provide a balance between "realistic" granularity and ease-of-use functionality for play. Many of them can bear to be adjusted in one way or another, but as I said, the core purpose is to encourage weapon use in a historically correlative manner.
>>
>>52563211
AceOfBlades

Sorry, didn't even realise that I had forgotten to reply to your post properly. Luckily one of us was on the ball.
>>
File: get me something to eat.jpg (36KB, 590x330px) Image search: [Google]
get me something to eat.jpg
36KB, 590x330px
>>52563056
>Why is a claymore a 2handed sword but a basket hilted claymore is 1 handed?
Claidheamh-mòr means "big sword" in Scottish. In different periods it is used to refer to different types of swords. It's confusing, yes, but most things to do with categorizing old weaponry is. as >>52563174 states, the terminology is a bit made up on the spot.
Tesshake is another type of Dussack.

>why is the large 2 handed club swing 6+1
That's something like a shillelagh, not the typical fantasy log-with-stone-attached. It's made of wood and thus light.

>>52563530
Pic related.
>>
>>52565161
Request has been sent.
>>
>>52565080
>I want it to be a little more robust, and certainly more well designed. I have a laundry list of rules holes, loopholes, and broken mechanics that I am constantly pestering jimmy about

Post them here for all to enjoy my friend, my exams end on Friday, so might start editing the PDF actively again and put some stuff in.

Since Jimmy's gonna be working on the "real" rulebook, I'm also probably gonna be more heavy-handed in rewriting ambiguous passages or adding "fan" content like examples for complicated interactions, although we all know I'll outsource it to you guys and we all know that means that nothing well ever get done
>>
File: sillyleilas.jpg (836KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
sillyleilas.jpg
836KB, 1920x1440px
>>52565244
>>52563056
>2 handed club
Pic related.
>>
>>52540586
Webapp is probably the most broadly convenient.

It's gonna be months probably. But it's gonna be a piecemeal thing anyway, requiring piecemeal changes, until shortly before the physical copies go to print.

>>52540699
Why would a web-based program (or "web app") be more trouble to update than a client-side program (or "standalone app") though?
>>
>>52565280
I dont have it on-hand, but off the top of my head,
>literally everything about horses
>making a TZM table for attacks originating below the waist, to both make unarmed attacks easier, and to prevent nonsense situations like a person prone on the ground with a spear finding it easier to stab a horseman in the face than in the foot
>the total lack of explanation about how guns and bows work
>initiative still needs work (init ouroborous, RED/RED not ending a fight, being able to engage multiple targets or interdicting a melee engagement with the ballad system)
>armor material rules are laughably bad, to the point of bronze scale armor being worse than simple leather
>every single chargen PCP category needs polish: skills are awful, proficiency could use a boost with the stipulation of a level cap, attributes are heinously overpowered, and there is no point to ever put points in Boons unless you are investing 6 or more
>how does Steal Init work with 0 or negative PER after PP from helmets: is it just infinite?
>what is the relationship between the profiles of thrown weapons and melee weapons? would a javelin fight as a shortspear in melee? does a weapon tagged both as Sword and Dagger throw as a Knife or a Sword?
>if I'm beating someone with a pistol, do I just use the Pommel Strike maneuver, or should it have its own weapon profile? what is a carbine's DTN?
>jesus christ the misc good's values relative to each other, the income of people, and weapons needs serious calibration
>>
>>52550595
I'd be open to that. I don't know if my schedule would mesh, with weekends being available intermittently though
>>
>>52566204
I've already sent the other guy a discord request, whats yours?
>>
File: lesbian larpers.jpg (80KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
lesbian larpers.jpg
80KB, 480x480px
are there any amazon tribes in Tattered Realms?
>>
>>52567627
Girl Power stuff is a lot cooler when they actually go and do shit about it instead of ruining my history classes at Uni. They should form a metal band on the side.
>>
>>52563846
make a google doc and I'll pitch in
>>
>>52563846
Organize this, I'm in.
>>
>>52565080
FUCKING PHOENIX COMMAND
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THAT SHIT FOREVER BUT I FORGOT THE FUCKING NAME
GODDAMN, THANK YOU WEAPON AUTIST GUY
>>
What's the biggest penalty a weapon could have for it's damage and still be a feasible unarmored/civillian weapon?
>>
>>52567922
avg str is 4, avg CP is ~9? Assuming TN7 (so average of around 2 successes), in order to inflict a level 2 against a TOU 4+AV 1 (cloth) +1 is needed
>>
>>52567922
Or alternatively, how would you stat a weapon completely useless against any proper armor, but that could still fuck you up in civillian environment?
>>
File: 1490022286746.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490022286746.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
> thread argues about weapon comparision and what not
> next day I learn about a tool for just that
mfw
https://youtu.be/f60pAYKPXHs
http://blog.subcaelo.net/ensis/documenting-dynamics-of-swords/
>>
>>52568408
>doesn't take distal taper into account
It's shit, anon
>>
File: Jimmy_ineptitude.png (65KB, 323x863px) Image search: [Google]
Jimmy_ineptitude.png
65KB, 323x863px
Jimmy is a treasure.
>>
>>52568641
You are. It's good.
>>
>>52569064
>not using night mode
how do you deal
>>
>>52569119
how, sway
>>
>>52565499
>Why would a web-based program (or "web app") be more trouble to update than a client-side program (or "standalone app") though?
Services as software substitutes are kept updated for all users because users have no local copies, keeping everything consistent

I hate SaaSS though, feels so much worse than standalone clients
>>
>>52563846
I recommend starting with the arming sword and using it as a point of reference for all other weapons to come
>>
>>52567989
By using a Katana
>>
>>52567621
I'll check. Stoike#1255
>>
Which fantasy series is the most /sos/?
>>
>>52569635
Metal Gear
>>
>>52569635
Beserk
>>
>>52569635
Imo Traitor Son cycle by Miles Cameron.
>>
File: tumblr_on8tycL02C1tf832oo1_1280.jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_on8tycL02C1tf832oo1_1280.jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
>>52569635
Black Company
>>
File: 1443789013282.jpg (672KB, 924x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1443789013282.jpg
672KB, 924x1280px
Bump
>>
File: 3V9c8WF.jpg (58KB, 672x910px) Image search: [Google]
3V9c8WF.jpg
58KB, 672x910px
Is it safe to not wear plate mail if I want to also not die?
>>
So what have you guys done for your backer art?

Is it pretty much just all waifus?
>>
>>52571509
Holy shit that bug knight looks rad.
>>
File: remko-troost-apo-warpaint.jpg (451KB, 1008x1600px) Image search: [Google]
remko-troost-apo-warpaint.jpg
451KB, 1008x1600px
>>52571881
Its going to be all waifus.
>>
File: 1443739029135.jpg (730KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1443739029135.jpg
730KB, 1920x1080px
>>52571892
It's a mecha show so ofcourse its rad.
https://youtu.be/ajiAvb_XfNM

And also, since the song finally gets into production, will that mean that ballad takes its place and the mecha rules in turn ballad's? And finaly become more than idea?
>>
>>52571556
If you're in a fecht, no, if you're playing a campaign then yes. In a campaign things like availability, encumbrance and shit like that also matter.
>>
>>52569635
Artesia?
>>
>>52572147
wait who was talking about mecha rules? i somehow missed this.
>>
>>52572398
Who do you think was talking about it?
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48295726/#48366227
>>
>>52564884
Your overprotectiveness of the game you like makes you think fine reasobing is poor reasoning. You should step back.
>>
>>52571881
I'm going to do a mercenary dude. I know someone else doing a ship.
>>
>>52571881
Doing a clachish nobleman.
>>
>>52574240
are you using a claymore or a claymore?
>>
>>52574532
Now I want to see art of Claymore as a clachman, dual wielding a claymore and a claymore. Maybe with some burdinadin proto-claymores planted in the ground near him.

That's actually a good question, what is the tech level of bdin landmines/tripwire explosives? I'd imagine some of the glades extensively mining their surrounding lands.
>>
>>52574532
Poleaxe in fact. He carries a claymore though.
>>
File: LC544-600Border.jpg (49KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
LC544-600Border.jpg
49KB, 600x480px
>>52533958
Planning a Old West game, does any one have GURPS Old West and/or suggestion about things to stat or a timeframe to set it in?
>>
>>52576650
It's in the gurps general mega.
>>
>>52576935
Yeah I've been over they've kind of fucked it up.
>>52562344

I'll just go archive diving.
>>
Heard me a rumor about a 6'5" foreign woman living in Dace who may or may not have killed a silver guard.
>>
>>52577044
Shit! Nevermind, I'll the moron, they OP image is actually a .pdf.
>>
>>52577056
Yeah, this broad have a name and a hair color?
>>
>>52571881
>>52577398

Sofia Magda, foreigner raised in Dace, hair as red as her ladyboner for the Great Captain (red af). Freakishly tall, known for her temper, she's a bar-brawling vigilante turned soldier.
>>
>>52577784
Better be good at fighting if she's going to try and be a white dacian.
>>
>>52578273
She literally killed a Silver Guard when I last played her, and she double-downs on the Dacian pride and duty for being an outsider.
>>
>>52578431
tell us a story
>>
>>52580000
I can't quite remember the complete details, but Magda and her group were surprised by a big boss silver guard that they were probably supposed to run away from. While the group were panicking over what to do, she said fuck that and rolled red instantly and caught him silver off guard-hurrhurr.

And that's the story of her greatest achievement and how Sofia Magda murdered a silver guard with a schweizersabel through the eye-slit.
>>
>>52577784
>>52577056
Glad to see the system's working as intended. Huwhite woman trying to function in Dace's comically racist society is a pretty fun backstory.
>>
>>52581529
It's actually pretty great-Magda is often given outrageous or impossible tasks. No one really thinks she'll come through, she's just a dumb, light-skinned amazonian with a penchant for blood and violence.

But she does, and in her off-time she fancies herself the medieval batman.
>>
File: 1483342346741.png (208KB, 619x396px) Image search: [Google]
1483342346741.png
208KB, 619x396px
>>52581529
>Huwhite
Please tell me thats a typo and not an actual term for something from tumblr or something. I dont want to google it.

Also bump I guess
>>
>>52583239
It's making fun of how some British people pronounce "white," with an emphasized H sound.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk9ryKzLp8k
cut vs thrust by Mattie Eastonie.
>>
>>52577784
>tfw my comision is also of a tall redhead

I told Jimmo and the boys that it was either that or a goblin tavern wench. Not the sexy kind but the kind that gets to live off the leftovers and is treated like the rat she is. Also a redhead.
>>
>>52583811
Redheads make my penis feel funny.
>>
>>52583811
Let's fuck this game full of redheads. What are they going to do to stop us?
>>
File: Claymores.jpg (658KB, 1498x892px) Image search: [Google]
Claymores.jpg
658KB, 1498x892px
>>52583858
Pull another Culloden.
>>
>>52583858
Why dear anon, don't you mean to say 'stuff this game with redheads.' ?

>>52583933
Culloden?
>>
>>52584037
It's a battle where the Scots were finally BTFO completely. Scottish people are notoriously redheaded.

It's 3 am, my wit might not be ridiculously sharp.
>>
>>52583266
That should be Hwait or something. I can't be bothered to break out the dipthongs for this to give you a proper answer
>>
>>52584069
>It's a battle where the Scots were finally BTFO completely

Yeah, by other far more civilised Scots. Highlanders a shit, gas the Gallic, CLAN WAR NOW!!!
>>
File: 1488866150843.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1488866150843.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>52583933
yeah what IS the deal with bayonets besting sword-and-bucklers?
seems to me the swordfolk would have the advantage...
>>
>>52584424
You forget the R̶i̶d̶d̶l̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶S̶t̶e̶e̶l̶ Inquiry of Iron. A Scot with a Zwei couldn't beat a glorious non-Anglo with a half-chub, some glue and a pencil
>>
>>52584424
Supposedly the "highland charge" was very effective precisely because men with targes and swords could defeat men with bayonets.

The problem arise in that those bayonets were attached to guns. So while the forces might have begun equal, great casualties could be inflicted through gunfire before things came to blows. Outnumbered, it doesn't much matter that your opponents' weapons are clumsy, poorly weighted spears, they still outnumber you and many of them still have powder ready to fire.
>>
>>52584424
Didn't the brits invent a special anti-highland charge drill at the time?
iirc you would attack not to your front, but to the side, in order to eliminate the advantage of targes.
So youd basically attack a dude to your left that was attacking your mate.
>>
>>52584460
Who's a good LPer who does /sos/ related stuff?
>>
>>52584424
I'd say it's probably because they have a gun attached to them anon
>>
>>52584460
How do you feel about the current statistics of weapons?
>>
>>52584500
Jeeze. DiplexHeated, maybe? I watch Kikoskia a lot.

>>52584515
They aren't perfect, but we have a good spread, and most of the weapons have a niche. It needs a bit of improvement but I think we're doing pretty good.
>>
>>52584475
that's how you normally fight in a shieldwall. you fight the guys to the sides of the guy in front of you.
>>
>>52539278
Its called semi-auto dawg. Amd while you're right, specific weapons exist entirely for full auto at any range, the 240, 249, M60, and M2 all come to mind, although that sways wildly out of context
>>
>>52584527
>Kikoskia
I'd love to see him and his dudes play sos, in one of those rare moments where he plays tabletop games. I still wait for the next instalment of his coc campaign

>>52584527
Yeah, but recently I've read that those were something they invented only to counter the jacobites
also
>shieldwall in 18th century english army
>>
>>52584554
When I was alone and cold on a mountain in a foreclosed house, with electricity one day out of four, I watched Kikoskia videos, huddled up in my blankets before our iron stove, shoveling junk mail into the furnace.

I subscribed to every shit free publication in the country. Every mormon newsletter, every county notification, so that I would have enough paper to shovel into that iron gate to hell to ward off the cold. And Kiko, my constant companion along with cigarettes and spaghetti, played the best damned game of XCOM I've ever seen.

Someday I'll get him and his gang on and run a game of SoS for them. I know they like Burning wheel, so we'll have a grand old time.
>>
>>52584424
The only charge to make contact was with two Loyalist regiments Barrell's 4th and Monro's 37th (partly) and did manage to break the 4th after flanking them but they took horrendous casualties receiving caster shot and two volleys at 50 yards and at point blank range. This is on witness's account of the melee that proceeded.

"... the best of the clans ... Made their strongest efforts to break them, but without effect, for the old Tangierines [Barrell's regiment] bravely repulsed these boasters, with a dreadful slaughter, and convinced them that the broad sword and target is unequal to the musket and bayonet, when in the hands of veteran, who are determined to use them - after the battle there was not a bayonet in this regiment but was either bloody or bent"

So it sounds like they gave as good as they got and with only 50 dead and 250 wounded to the Rebel 2,000 it's not hard to believe. Culloden was full of Jacobites not engaging or being butchered on the way to engaging.
>>
>>52584585
Now that the kickstarters done, what's next in the Soon(tm) pipeline?
>>
>>52584585
>the best damned game of XCOM I've ever seen
The one where he set antarctic base? That was when I found him.
>I'll get him and his gang on and run a game of SoS for them
You should do it, and post the recording.
>>
>>52584624
>>52584624
Giant Robot rules, naturally.
>>
Bumping
>>
>>52584424
>>52584460
Of course, the best here would be to charge with a carbine or, even better, with geographic cover, and draw your sword upon contact.
>>
>>52584424
>>52584460
>>52584475
>>52584595
Add to this the fact that there were actually very few claymore and targe wielders in the Jacobite army, as it was the weapon of the officers and gentleman.
>>
>>52584585
JimJam, what is your opinion on this hoard of redheads?
>>
>>52584526
Are you going to have art of the weapons?
>>
>>52590162
Sofia Magda is best redhead.
>>
>>52591462
That sideburns dorf chick from a few threads back is the best redhead.
>>
>>52591658
She was the damn cutest.
>>
>>52591658
Inferior.
>>
>>52591658
Tattered realms dwarvette or just a regular dwarfette?
>>
mods are asleep

post dussacks
>>
>>52591462
We can't know that until we see her, anon, the judgment begins then.
>>
>>52591658
>>52595952
Karthacki cartographer redhead?
>>
File: tasshake_w.jpg (25KB, 900x307px) Image search: [Google]
tasshake_w.jpg
25KB, 900x307px
>>52595772
Nope, I'd rather post a tesshake.
>>
>>52597239
you mad rebel you.
>>
File: Dussack.jpg (212KB, 650x497px) Image search: [Google]
Dussack.jpg
212KB, 650x497px
>>52595772

>>52598642
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIEPTFL6us8
>>
Dussack, dussage, tessage, tasshake...

Maybe of interest: http://hroarr.com/the-dussack/
>>
>>
File: Italian 1500-50 1.jpg (34KB, 1200x280px) Image search: [Google]
Italian 1500-50 1.jpg
34KB, 1200x280px
>>
File: Italian 1500-50 2.jpg (69KB, 980x657px) Image search: [Google]
Italian 1500-50 2.jpg
69KB, 980x657px
>>
File: Italian 1500-50 5.jpg (48KB, 980x454px) Image search: [Google]
Italian 1500-50 5.jpg
48KB, 980x454px
>>
File: 5639.jpg (201KB, 954x2250px) Image search: [Google]
5639.jpg
201KB, 954x2250px
>>
File: 5640.jpg (268KB, 1041x2249px) Image search: [Google]
5640.jpg
268KB, 1041x2249px
>>
>>52599441
Fascinating. Thanks KM! Never seen this before.
>>
Aw yeah, KM dump.
>>
https://youtu.be/0C8iWxxooAw

New video from schola, so do wesmallsword vs zweihander fecht?
>>
>>52590162
I'm not much of a redhead guy, I'm neutral on the subject.
>>
>>52599641
Actually after reading >>52599441 fuck that and make it dussack vs smallsword.

So the story I envision. A norvegian peasant, Niels Skallson, returns home straight after he, finally, purchased his required king-supplied dussak.
To his surprise he finds an anachronistic, foppish wig- and smallsword wielding aristocrat, making moves on his wife. Duel ensues.
Will Skallsons four weeks of training with wooden dussack be enough to take on this effeminated man?
>>
>>52599641
>6+0p M reach vs 7+3c VL reach
Gee I wonder who's going to win this fight
>>
>>52600197
TN 6 is nothing to joke about, but it seems like a close-to-worst-case-scenario for the smallsword guy.

Then again, with enough skill nothing is impossible--but we already knew that. It doesn't say anything about the weapons themselves.
>>
File: 1490093388875.png (727KB, 1029x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1490093388875.png
727KB, 1029x2000px
>>52600197
Yeah, thats why we should>>52600172

>>52600062
Best dorf, best redead, best Kartacki cartographer

Also on topic of Kartack, what is the kartacki duelling sword in the weapons list?
>>
>>52600197
Smallsword girl wearing weighted cloak, boots and heavy stuffed bra
>>
>>52600172
Is that Rob Roy premise?
>>
>>52600243
How much of a CP advantage do you think would even the odds?
>>
>>52600263
So cuteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
>>
Someone with an iconic could make a cute dorf princess.
>>
>>52600291
For most fighters, I'd say 3-4 CP would be enough to even the odds. At the very highest levels of combat your tactics and the will of the Dice Gods is more important than a minor change in CP.
>>
File: Iconic Motivations.jpg (139KB, 1200x755px) Image search: [Google]
Iconic Motivations.jpg
139KB, 1200x755px
Lads I return once again to raise the topic of a thread iconic. Thus far the following ideas have held interest in the thread:

- Karthacki Cartographer
- Crocodile Man
- Dorf Princess

Keep musing them over and when Jim Jam demands iconics I'll throw up a strawpoll.
>>
>>52600352
$500 guy
Khopesh Knight to honor the trainkiller
>>
>>52600362
Some raised the idea of $500 dollar guy as a nobleman who lost his fortune in pursuit of magic. I'm pretty sure Khopeshfag won his place in that tournament, too.
>>
>>52600352
Just combine the dorf princess with the cartographer, and make it a point in the backstory, thst she discovered a tribe of fce-eatting crocodile men, and we're set.
>>
>>52600440
This sounds actually really really great.
>>
>>52600440
So she is a dwarf cartographer from Karthack?
>>
>>52600454
Are there holds in Karthack?
>>
>>52600440
That sounds like a bad pulp novel, I love it.
>>
>>52600454
>>52600459
She could also be a !Marco Polo type figure, coming from west, and detailing the cartograpy of Karthack and/or the steppe??
>>
>>52600476
>>52600481
I'd read this. Perhaps she can have a crocodile man retainer she picked up in her adventures? We don't have rules for crocodile men or hirelings, but soon.
>>
>>52600540
>Perhaps she can have a crocodile man retainer she picked up in her adventures?
Forget about crocodile man
>>
>>52600440
But if all the dorf kings are anonymous moods, how can there be a princess?
>>
>>52600758
> implying that she's not the future Mood of exploration for her hold
>>
>>52600287
>is that Rob Roy premise?
We will learn in aproximately nine months.
>>
File: 1462714141363.png (534KB, 1110x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1462714141363.png
534KB, 1110x1600px
>bump with qt 3.14 burdinadin
>>
>>52602591
kys pedo
>>
>>52602591
So I've always wondered, does the pain set in immediately, or does it take an hour?
>>
File: 1435097641886.jpg (261KB, 661x1155px) Image search: [Google]
1435097641886.jpg
261KB, 661x1155px
>>52602701
>>
>>52565499
Since I'm having trouble figuring out hosting, it may end up being a standalone app by virtue of skipping that issue entirely.
>>
>>52603050
I think it starts out unnoticeable and gradually turns into delusional seizures and organ failure.
>>
>>52600263
>Shnyarf Shnyarf, where is the orichalcum Lion-o?
>>
>>52600291
6-10 to make it even stevens.
6d nullifies the 3c according to probability,
with the other 0-4 for range costs and to bribe RNJesus a little
>>
>>52600243
6+0p is worthless against armor. Only if the fighters are unarmored or the smallsword guy has a high Str:Tou difference will he have a realistic chance of winning
>>
>>52605326
I mean 6+0p is roughly equivalent to 7+2c at 10 dice and 7+3c at 20 dice unless they are unarmored
>>
>>52606240
That's only if you're going all in in an attack. If you're actually fighting you're not going to all in. Smallsword's going to throw red and beat because if that zweihander gets even one success on an attack he's fucked. Zwei has no good defense against a TN 6 beat so he'll probably do nothing or kick him or something. Whether smallsword can counter that effectively by feinting into a thrust is entirely dependent on the CPs and STR&TOU and armor of the fighters. If he can't, then round 2 comes along and smallsword can no longer beat, and the fight actually begins.
>>
>>52606373
>beat
>not disarm
>>
>>52606440
That changes nothing, in fact that's better for the zweihander because the disarm can fail. Zwei has the same response as before.
>>
>>52606373
no it works out exactly as I described tn 6 is equivalent to +1 damage for every 10 dice and piercing is usually equivalent to +1 damage with the common armor setups
>>
>>52606847
>and piercing is usually equivalent to +1 damage with the common armor setups
That depends highly on the armor. Just as many armor types have higher AVP than AVC as do ones with equal or lower lower AVP than AVC. And smallswords weren't used while in armor anyway. Fights in SoS depend heavily on who has armor and where it is.
>>
Quit waving your dicks around and fight
>>
>>52599641
>4:26
This justifies the decision to have light blade/heavy weapon only affect swings, and not thrusts
>>
>>52607280
Although that means main gauches are a hard counter to spears, which is weird
>>
>>52609846
Not a hard counter at TN7. That honor would go the the noble Quarter Staff, which would parry at TN 6, at the same range or longer as many spears, and be able to easily Disarm or Hilt Push them.
An easier counter against stock-standard spears is an average man with an axe and Superior Break.
>>
>>52609985
the main gauche is a hard counter to it. It parries at TN 6 and has companion weapon. The quarterstaff isn't as good since you need high strength to beat people with it and you would obviously use a good weapon in your right hand anyway, probably something that can easily break the spear.
>>
>>52610111
>It parries at TN 6
No, it doesn't.
You need to stop forgetting about Light Blade.
>>
>>52610140
Yes it does. You need to read Light Blade.
>>
>>52610157
"When Parrying Swinging attacks from any weapon that does not have this quality, this
weapon’s Defense TN is increased by 1. Against Heavy Weapons, this penalty increases to 2"
6+1=7
>>
>>52610217
Uh huh. Swinging attacks. Not Thrusting attacks. And what weapon are we talking about? We're talking about spears. Do you swing a spear? No, you thrust a spear. You need to think before you insult people.
>>
>>52610253
>insult
Your threshold for this is too low.
Regardless, the specificity for Swinging is curious.
I guess we are back to Main Gauches deflecting polearms.
>>
>>52610278
You didn't even read the post before the one you had a problem with
>>52607280
I mean Jesus Christ.
>>
File: anime_girl_reaction_face (110).jpg (125KB, 520x537px) Image search: [Google]
anime_girl_reaction_face (110).jpg
125KB, 520x537px
>>52602591
Kamen Burdinadin Autocannon fecht when?
>>
>>52600352
Those are all gay and the squire is the only not fucking retarded idea.
>>
>>52611499
This thread is pretty gay, making it a suitable iconic.
>>
>>52611499
Squire a good. I am surprised he's not on the short list.
>>
File: can a bo?.jpg (443KB, 1000x527px) Image search: [Google]
can a bo?.jpg
443KB, 1000x527px
So for the middle tetsubo, how does L 7(+3b) 7(-2b) 7(0) AP Swing 1, Shock 3, Heavy Weapon, Thrusting Slot sound? Maybe one less Blunt damage or Shock?
>>
>>52612384
I dont like the blunt weapons being TTN 7 to begin with.
Regardless, I'd say to drop the damage.
And did they ever put a tip on a tetsubo?
>>
>>52612574
You're probably right about the TTN of 2H blunts, but I was just going with the trend.

Just because no one ever put a tip on a tetsubo, doesn't mean your player can't.

L 7(+2b) 8(-2b) 7(0) AP Swing 1, Shock 3, Heavy Weapon, Thrusting Slot

A little bit between a godendag and a heavy knobbed mace.
>>
File: 1474971260890.jpg (168KB, 635x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1474971260890.jpg
168KB, 635x1333px
>>52544779
>>52546130
L O N D O N
>>
File: ruxing-gao-174-8.jpg (145KB, 938x1440px) Image search: [Google]
ruxing-gao-174-8.jpg
145KB, 938x1440px
Parry says if any BS are score you gain initiative, but under block it does not say anything about getting initiative. For some reason I thought block also lets you gain it. what am I misunderstanding?
>>
>>52613264
Well, I think the aim is to simuate realism and shit...
>>
>>52613768
Any successful defense gives you initiative unless stated other wise, parry just requires 1 or more defensive BS while block can do it on evens.
>>
>>52613768
Man that's cool.
>>
File: 1491500050321.jpg (231KB, 1200x620px) Image search: [Google]
1491500050321.jpg
231KB, 1200x620px
>>52614123
thanks
>>
>>52613519
>that pic
Wait a second, that helmet design kinda looks like the official Burd picture...
>>
>>52614252
Look at that salty old motherfucker.
>>
pomf
>>
>>52617635
>pomf
https://youtu.be/5bHimOJb-Xw
Pomf pomf kimochi
Until Gizkah smells like old coins and milk
>>
>>52614020
Realistically, it's pretty easy to bolt a spike on there.
>>
>>52618332
Realistically, we have no records of anyone doing that.
>>
File: maces1.jpg (8KB, 508x192px) Image search: [Google]
maces1.jpg
8KB, 508x192px
>>52618405
That wasn't my point. Why would I care if anyone has done it in real life, if I want my PC to do it?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC7e99BGI6w
>>
File: 1437602401732.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1437602401732.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
>>52618657
>That loli tho
>>
>>52618573
Personally I think it would be rather unwieldy to thrust with, but more power to you.
>>
>>52620072
Agreed, but just because an option is less than optimal doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.
>>
>>52618050
Ooh. So that's what Nyanners deleted. Neat.
>>
File: doublesword.png (17KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
doublesword.png
17KB, 320x320px
>>52621779
Rules for these things when?
>>
>>52622029
Ree.
>>
>>52621996
Nyanners became an SJW iirc
>>
>>52603050
It can take several hours before it becomes serious, it depends on the robustness of the Burdinadin. Many of them (usually the more daring) don't wear containment suits at all outside of their Glades, preferring thick insulator parkas and masks, which allow them more freedom of movement than the clunky armored suits. The contamination still leaks in--that just means they need a "detox" period after they've been about for a day or two. The image of a shrouded elf with a hooked knife is about as common around the Glades as the shambling behemoth of the Myrmidon, or the eerie glowing eyes of the containment suit.

Ironically despite their reputation for heavy suits of armor, most Burdinadin soldiers prefer this light getup to heavier hardware, as they almost never fight pitched battles and prefer lightning fast strikes under the cover of darkness or from ambush. You really only see heavily armored Burds if they have no other option than to employ overwhelming firepower to get what they want.
>>
>>52624604
Jimmy, what does a Burdinadin/Ohanedin romance look like?
>>
>>52624660
It would be extremely painful.
>>
File: Meme_lover.png (564KB, 625x347px) Image search: [Google]
Meme_lover.png
564KB, 625x347px
>>52624679
For who?
>>
>>52624714
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPIdYSmvi90

Thrand's a LARPy compared to some of the other medieval youtubers, but he does some cool tests with a kopesh here.
>>
>>52625419
>Khopesh
Ssshh! You'll summon him!
>>
>>52620072
You know, it is just a thick staff with studs in it, it shouldn't be that heavy, especially when compared to Poleaxes and the like, and the weight's more evenly distributed along the length.

Didn't some Tetsubo/Kanabo have counterweights in the back end?
>>
>>52626742
>poleaxes
>heavy and unwieldy
>>
>>52624714
For (you).
>>
>>52626828
Exactly my point.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.