[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amonkhet Gods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10

Is anyone else as thoroughly disappointed in Hazoret?
-Mono colour (its been done)
-Weaker than Purphoros
-Creature activation is harder to trigger, and thus harder to respond to (take as you will)
-No passive ability at all
-Activated ability is niche at best.
>>
File: Superior-Mono-Red-God.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Superior-Mono-Red-God.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
For quick reference
>>
>>52532877
Compared to the Theros gods he sucks. The only good thing about this god is the hilarious premium foil.
>>
>>52532877
NOW, KAIBA, YOU CAN'T WIN

FOR I HAVE GATHERED THE EGYPTIAN GOD CARDS

HAZORET THE TORMENTOR
OKETRA THE EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
MEGA ULTRA STORMCROW
>>
>>52533086
Screw the rules, I have internet references!
>>
DESU, I was really hoping for something new with Amonkhets Gods. Specifically 3colour.
Seeing more mono, and have them be worse than original... I really hope someone gets fired over this.
>>
>>52533301
So apparently, putting in T B H for To Be Honest, results in DESU. Please ignore that part of my comment.
>>
>>52533301
>>52532877
>mono color is bad
Jesus Christ, not everything has to be a technicolor special snowflake.
>>
File: 1460909897040.jpg (42KB, 470x375px) Image search: [Google]
1460909897040.jpg
42KB, 470x375px
>>52533086
>THE EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
The more I think about this, the more it upsets me.
>>
>>52533313
baka desu senpai
>>
File: Special snowflake1.png (640KB, 932x621px) Image search: [Google]
Special snowflake1.png
640KB, 932x621px
>>52533326
>>
>>52533326
This, seriously

Also, we don't have a lot of info about the gods, maybe there is a lore reason for them being monocolored
>>
>>52533326
Not saying Mono colour is bad. Saying its been done already. Was hoping for something new. Thats all.
>>
>>52533351
So why would you have a problem with Amonkhet gods being mono? Complain about anything else but bawling over something being mono-color is nonsensical. It's not even a multi-color-focused block (thank god, because those are trash) so there's no reason for them to be multi-color.
>>
>>52533414
I guess you're bored that every new set has the same five colors then.
>>
File: Gruntilda.png (454KB, 829x1249px) Image search: [Google]
Gruntilda.png
454KB, 829x1249px
>>52532877
I don't think you realize that a 5/4 Indestructible Haste Creature is totally reasonable. If it didn't have the Activation clause it'd be too powerful right?
Now take that and apply that logic to an archetype and boom; you've found your home.

My first thoughts were Modern Jund. Liliana and Discard Spells make this an on curve 5/4 beater with good text.
>>
>>52533456
he's saying mono-colored gods have already been done you doofus
>>
>>52533460
The card isn't bad, just painfully boring.
>>
>>52532877

From a flavor standpoint these new gods suck dicks. A random indestructible creature is not a god. Theros gods that needed devotion to turn from enchantments to creatures were great flavorwise.
>>
>>52532877
If There's God's are better, than just play Theros.
>>
>>52533501
We only have the one right now, so there's no way of knowing what the other gods have as activations. I like the idea that unless you are straight up hellbent, Hazoret doesnt do shit without you paying for it. Hazoret doesn't care about your 'devotion.' She wants results.
>>
>>52533313
Welcome to 4chan senpai.
>>
Also, it has no passive. Unless you're playing Hellbent, or Madness, its active is pretty bad.

With the order gods, even if you couldn't use their active at the time, and most of them had ones that were almost always useful, they had some other benefit for being there.

Haz is kinda like, 'yeah I've got a god on my side! it cant do anything right now, but yeah! god! rawr!'
Its redeemed a little by fueling itself, but Madness aside, who puts cards in a deck solely to discard them?
>>
>>52532877
These are FAKE gods, created by bolas. They're the intentionally shit/phony feeling
>>
File: anguishedunmaking.jpg (44KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
anguishedunmaking.jpg
44KB, 265x370px
The one thing I dislike about this is that "Can't attack or block" basically means it's still a creature at all times, basically meaning that it's way more susceptible to removal than the Theros gods. I know they can't have it say "Hazoret isn't a creature unless you have one or less cards in hand", because if she wasn't also an enchantment or a creature, then what else would she be on the field?

Also comparing Hazoret to Phurphos is pretty unfair considering Phurphos is pretty much an auto-include in any token deck that's splashing in Red.
>>
>>52533737
>WotC is now justifying their shit card design through lore
fucking geniuses
>>
>>52533658
Tarmogoyf is a 0/1 in a vacuum.

Yes, Hazoret is much worse than Goyf when enabled but it's still not entirely useless. You just need to enable it.
>>
>>52533773
>WotC never made cards based on lore before Amonkhet
>>
>>52533658

Yeah, the activated ability on Hazmat is just fucking jackal shit. Pay three mana and discard a card to deal two damage? Only to a player? Who the fuck has time for garbage like that, make it able to hit anything and drop the mana cost to R and we might be in discussion.

Unless you can reliably get yourself down to one card around turn 4-5, this thing does nothing.
>>
>>52533792
>the joke
>your head
>>
>>52533798
>Pay three mana and discard a card to deal 2 damage to a player
>To one player
Reread the card again
>>
>>52533856
the point is that only hitting players is shitty. should have been able to hit creatures.
>>
>>52533501
It kinda makes sense. They're gods in an enclosed city, made by someone else, not gods created by the collective thoughts of the mortals living there. Their enabling clauses are easy to get to specifically because they are easy to reach in their world, like, just walk up to them and say "Hey Mrs. sexy god can you go kill that guy for me? Thanks."
>>
>>52533755
Phased? Shroud?
I dont see whats so bad about having enchantment creature just be a God thing. I understand they didnt want the set to be about enchantments, but 5 enchantment creatures does not a set make.
>>
>>52533808
Your joke didn't go over anyone's head, it was just terrible.
>>
>>52533871
Her activated ability feels like a Spellshaper ability (even if there's no card costing 2R that only deals 2 to each opponent)
>>
>>52533856

I don't care about fucking multiplayer formats, they are not real formats.
>>
>>52533920
For you.
>>
>>52533955
Too bad, most cards are made with those in mind and some are even made exclusively for multiplayer formats
>>
File: dogg.jpg (12KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
dogg.jpg
12KB, 220x220px
>>52533482
>green elves have been done
>white humans have been done
>colourless artifacts have been done
>multicolored factions have been done
>good cards have been done
>planes have been done
>nothing has been done
>>
>>52534011
you're a special kind of stupid
>>
>>52534043
He may be stupid but he has a point
>>
>>52532877
I think it's passive ability is that it's a fucking 5/4 for 4 that's indestructible and has haste, you fucking waste.
>>
>>52533326
It's the it's a new magic set so i'm going to whine syndrome.
>>
>>52532877
>5/4 haste indestructible at 4 with abilities
>BAD

holy shit are we that far down in the creature power creep to call this bad?
having no cards in hand is going to be far easier to reach and mantain that fucking devotion.
>>
>>52534099

...That can't attack or block. Very impressive. That's like getting a Pacifism for free!
>>
>>52534117

Amonkhet looks like arse so far to be honest.
- shit invocations
- shit split cards
- shit gods

Only thing I've seen that I like so far are the full art lands, but even those are made extra rare for some reason.
>>
>>52533876
Because it's not a "god thing", it's a Nyx thing, a phenomenon localised on Theros.

No, every plane with gods should not have it's own Nyx, that's fucking retarded, gods being indestructible is fine.
>>
>>52533876
Theros didnt have 'gods are magical enchantment creatures.' It had 'all magical creatures are tied to this specific source, which makes them enchantments and also creatures'
>>
>>52534137
>That can't attack or block UNLESS you are hellbent
Honestly, if you are not hellbent while playing RDW, you are pretty bad

>But what if I have more than one land in my hand, I can't play them all in the same turn
Then use her activated ability to unload them into your opponents face
>>
>>52533326
It's a Commander player complaint.
>>
>>52534137
>RDW curve topper

It's going to be an auto include if there's any form of RDW in the format unless there's something better than a 5/4 haste indestructible for 4.

>b-but pacifism

CURVE TOP OF RED DECK WINS IF YOUR HAND ISN'T NEARLY/ACTUALLY EMPTY ON TURN 4 THEN YOU'RE A FUCKUP
>>
>>52534160
>No, every plane with gods should not have it's own Nyx, that's fucking retarded, gods being indestructible is fine.

No. It's not fine for gods to just be indestructible. There's a million indestructible creatures already that are not gods. Tons of random legends are indestructible. Fucking Darksteel bugs are indestructible.
>>
>>52534225

Commander is a stupid format honestly because of the color restriction. Just let anybody put anything in their deck, if they want to have a red commander in a Bant deck that's their problem.
>>
>>52534120
>5/4 haste indestructible at 4 that can't do anything unless your hand is empty
>opponent can chump block it forever
>>
>>52534329
>opponent can chump block it forever
you can say that about any non-evasive creature
>>
>>52534540
Which is why non-evasive creatures are bad and only evasive creatures are playable in aggressive decks.
>>
>>52534191
>>52534226
>4 mana card
>in rdw

Let me guess, you play standard
>>
>>52534561
>only evasive creatures are playable in aggressive decks
but that's wrong
>>
>>52533086
>MEGA ULTRA STORMCROW

I fucking love that name for the Blue God.
>>
>>52532877
-Mono color was expected so I have no problem with that.
-The previous Gods had varying P/T so I have no problem with her being smaller than Purphoros.
-Not a fan of the activation trigger, despite the flavor behind it (if I understood it right).
-Lack of passive ability is the biggest problem for me. She is the god of zeal so why can't she inspire that in your creatures?
-Activated ability needed to be stronger or cheaper.

The card is actually not that bad, if it had been a non-legendary at a lower rarity.
It taking the slot as one of the iconic mythic creatures of this set is what really hurts it.
>>
>>52532877
>Not obviously a modern powerhouse
>Doesn't shatter the colour pie
>Must be a shit card.

Why are these threads all the same?
>>
>>52534288
But every fucking plane with gods having Nyx is okay? Fucking shattering planar identities is worth emphasising how much of a special snowflake being a god is?
>>
>>52534011

You know what hasn't been done?

Homarid Lords

When am I getting my tribal support, Wizards?
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 600x598px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 600x598px
>>52534084
>>
>>52532877
>Is anyone else as thoroughly disappointed in Amonkhet?

Yes
>>
File: 1491319089287.jpg (42KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
1491319089287.jpg
42KB, 223x311px
Flying.
Indestructible.
Can attack/block if 7+ cards in hand.
3U: Draw a card & return a land to hand

WELP
>>
>>52535177

At Wizards, we saw how everyone were playing with the Moonfolk cards we designed earlier, so we decided to make one that is just a little more balanced.
>>
>>52532877
>shit god is shit
>Not purphoros
>muh modern playability

I think this card is great, for a niche archtype in STANDARD. At the top end of a mono red or a b/r aggro deck this dude is amazing. Most fast aggro decks will dump their hand quickly anyway and as a bonus this guy fuels madness. Not every card has to be a staple in every modern deck running it's color. This guy will definitely see standard play in some form. I hope the other gods are as niche as this one to be honest. It's really lame when you see someone plop down an island or something and immediately know "welp, they're playing baby jace" just because it's so powerful it's a staple in every fucking blue deck.
>>
>>52534151

You can tell they threw in the full-art lands because they know how shit the set is
>>
>>52535265
>You can tell they threw in the full-art lands because they know how shit the set is

This set is BFZ tier bad so far, but they don't have the newness of the Expeditions or the return of full art lands to save them this time. If the rest of the set continues to be as bad as the first two days, heads are going to roll.

And that's a great thing.
>>
>>52534151
>but even those are made extra rare for some reason.
It's to crack packs. Full arts are the real chase premium cards.
>>
>>52535177
New info has come in for the translation.
The returning land part is "you may".

I'd say it just got a bit better.
>>
>>52535305

Co-lead (to MaRo) for design of the set was Ethan Fleischer, who designed Journey into Nyx and Oath of the Gatewatch.

They also compared this as a "top-down" set similar to Kamigawa, but so far all of the art and flavor isn't anywhere near Kamigawa levels... fucking yikes.
>>
>>52534310

Just play 5-color Good Cards and never run out Atogatog.

Works for me.
>>
>>52535426
>all of the art and flavor

We'll never see art like Kamigawa or Lorwyn again. Wizards wants to streamline the art direction to achieve a "recognisably MTG" look.

Also, iirc, kamigawa's flavour didn't poll well in their market research for being "too weird". There was an article about this some time around Theros, don't remember if it was MaRo or not. Basically top down sets need to draw more from the pop-culture version of X than X itself.
>>
>>52534573
No fucking shit they're talking about standard. The card sure as fuck isn't legacy playable. Stop saying retarded shit.
>>
>>52534561
I guess goblin guide and eidolon of the great revel are unplayable.
>>
>>52535426
>Co-lead (to MaRo) for design of the set was Ethan Fleischer, who designed Journey into Nyx and Oath of the Gatewatch.

Wew lad, that explains a lot to be honest

Also I just found out that they went through 2 Development leads until they finally landed on a 3rd for this set, which also show why the set seems so underpowered and watered down
>>
Why do you think they are reprinting Fling?
Gods are Fling fodder.
>>
>>52536043

>Gods exist only to receive -1/-1 counters, crew vehicles, and get flung at opponents

being a God on Amonket is suffering
>>
>>52532877
I -may- test out a copy in R/B zombies in place for a pariah, the problem being that pariah comes in at instant speed because madness and potentially wipes the board and this guy is stuck at sorc speed shocking for 3 mana.
>>
>>52536070
Don't forget being beat by the Gatewatch in story
>>
File: 6328-10159-22164.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
6328-10159-22164.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>52535938
>Co-lead (to MaRo) for design of the set was Ethan (((Fleischer)))

why is /pol/ always right?
>>
>>52535426

>Ethan Fleischer, who designed Journey into Nyx and Oath of the Gatewatch

That explains a whole lot. Seriously, do they even vet these people for having played Magic before?
>>
They could have made both gods cost 2cmc, 1R and 1U respectively, and there would literally be no difference. Cranking them up to 4cmc just ensures they're forever unplayable for no reason. That fucking jackal is so bad it hurts anons, and the bird is a shade better.
>>
>>52533351
>experiment 300

ayyy
>>
>>52532877

I honestly will try Hazoret in my Naya Zoo deck. I honestly find myself often with only one or two cards in hand, and if I have more they are usually lands I don't need. Being able to get rid of those dead cards and having a hastey indestructible 5/4 is pretty good on its own.
>>
>>52535177
This is just so boring and safe. We already had 15 of these types of god cards with Theros why did they need to be the same, and even worse since their always creatures.

Such a shame since the art on all the gods is amazing.
>>
>>52533876
Hexproof obviously.
Give them all hexproof, so that you have a bunch of bigass hexproof beatsticks running around, so that they're harder to oring or whatever.
>>
>>52535177
This is a little better. Still vulnerable as fk, but at least the active is useful. Expensive, but useful. Still no passive, which seeing two in a row without, I think is going to be the standard.

So, indestructible, <colour ability>, no.cards activation, no passive, over-priced active seems to be the Amonkhet God formula.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.