[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>it's fantasy anon, things don't need to make sense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1490981497345.jpg (148KB, 601x500px) Image search: [Google]
1490981497345.jpg
148KB, 601x500px
>it's fantasy anon, things don't need to make sense
>>
The gabarinra has beat orgdorin and olivorattin, but the olivorattin has an ability that can terinmino the gabarinra and orgdorin. Orgdorin is poisonous to both. Got it?
>>
>>52526586
Look, senpai. No, you don't need to explain how magic works. But it ought to be internally consistent where possible.
No, your fireball doesn't have to actually behave like fire and/or explosions, especially when the spell says otherwise, but I'm not putting up with a peasant railgun and it's absolutely stupid to let you do a wall of iron railgun just 'cause you claim it would work in real life.
>>
>>52527689
Agreed
>>
I think the only thing that doesn't have to make sense is literally wish-fulfillment magic. The reality-bending kind where a character can wiggle their finger in the air and turn their enemy into a houseplant. Of course if you have a character like that, you basically HAVE to make him immensely lazy and/or apathetic, or it begs the quesiton of why doesn't he solve all the setting's problems.

>>52527754
>but I'm not putting up with a peasant railgun

Is that a peasant with a railgun or a railgun that fires peasants?
>>
File: peasantrailgun.png (161KB, 999x458px) Image search: [Google]
peasantrailgun.png
161KB, 999x458px
>>52528865
Neither.
>>
>>52529201
The readied actions would need to be changed, but otherwise, checks out. What's the 15m gold/day trick?
>>
>>52529201
>Pole accelerates
no it doesn't
>>
>>52529305

>What's the 15m gold/day trick?

Using Wall of Iron, the Fabricate spell combined with a high skill in weapon crafting to make tons and tons of masterwork weapons.
>>
>>52526586
There's a distinction that I think is frequently confused: Things have to make sense, but they don't have to work the same way they do in real life.
>>
>>52529305
>>52529441

>15m gold/day trick

a total lack of economic knowledge
>>
>>52529511

No they don't have to make sense, but they at least have to be consistent in how they make sense. Unless this is a comedy, then all bets are off.
>>
>>52529511

"Make sense" is a strong term

There's nothing wrong with say, the true nature of magic being mysterious and unexplained.

It only becomes a problem when seemingly anything can happen for any reason at any time and be hand-waived with "lmao magic", at which point all stakes collapse and nothing matters anymore.
>>
>>52529535
Well you could make a dickton of money in one go because it would take the market some time to catch up as long as you weren't obvious about flooding it. Just make sure your buyers are lined up, by the time anyone realizes what happened you'll have crashed the Masterwork Weapon market with no survivors and run off with your sacks of free gold.

A bit similar to how the government gets to spend newly printed money at it's pre-inflation value, because how much money the Federal Reserve prints isn't public knowledge so the market can't adjust until it's too late.
>>
Just don't let magic do literally anything and then have martial combat be bound by real life. It's stupid and anti-fun. You're probably not going far enough to make martials "realistic" anyway, or crossbow users would attack about once every two turns.
>>
>>52529201
Hey nothing personal buddy but fuck the guy who came up with this in the first place, I got a guy at my table who brings this up so often it's the most annoying damn thing.
>>
>>52529584
>There's nothing wrong with say, the true nature of magic being mysterious and unexplained.
There is if you want your players to interact in a major way with said magic and use it to solve problems in the game world.

I'm not saying you have to explain how magic works or where it comes from, but you have to have a definite cause and effect relationship.

For example, if you've established that when the players do A then B happens and then they hatch a plan that relies on B happening and you say "oops, B doesn't happen now, C happened" then that's a dick move.

Another example, as my GM recently did, we had devised a plan and part of it involved tricking a certain noble into helping us, only when we actually put it in motion, out of nowhere and without it previously being a thing, all noble houses in the region have perfect lie detecting magic applied. Needless to say we're not playing that campaign anymore.

Basically, Brandon Sanderson may be a bad writer, but he was write when he came up with his "first law" ( https://brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-first-law/ ). In the context of TTRPGs, that means that the GM should have the rules for the magic system well established before running a game where magic plays a large role for the players, but he doesn't have to tell the players anything as long as he's consistent in applying the rules.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.