[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this LN?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Cuthbert_p92.jpg (69KB, 400x554px) Image search: [Google]
Cuthbert_p92.jpg
69KB, 400x554px
So I play a cleric of St. Cuthbert, whose religious views can be summed up as "hitting bad guys with a stick is a holy deed".

While in the woods in the middle of nowhere, our party gets ambushed by bandits. We take one hostage and I decide to "redeem" him. I make a big flowery speech about how he will be broken and humbled before God as I thrash the sin out of him, like the miller thrashes the chaff from the wheat yada yada. Then I have my character beat him until below 0 hp, then use a heal spell to revive him. I then present him with the holy symbol of St. Cuthbert to kiss, but he only spits blood on it and tells me "fuck you". So I beat him to death.

The DM got on my case after this, telling me that a lawful character should have taken the bandit to the sheriff. I told him, I didn't see the point, since the sheriff would have just hanged him anyways; and I don't care about the local laws, but only the rituals and oaths of my holy order and my god which supercedes secular authority.

So is this LN?
>>
File: Alignments are dumb.png (43KB, 480x460px) Image search: [Google]
Alignments are dumb.png
43KB, 480x460px
>>52509666
>I don't care about the local laws
Literally the opposite of a lawful character.

Also
>2017
>Still using alignments
When will this retarded system just die?
>>
>>52509666
Does the GM equate lawful alignment with the law of the land? If yes, then no it wasnt.
It was lawful in the eyes of your ggod and personal code. Gods law supercede mans law.

Alignment is Gm territory.
>>
>>52509711
If you're in the middle of nowhere, there basically is no law. I'm not going to go trekking across the wilderness just to find some wanker peasant in some village with a special title.
>>
>>52509711
>m-m-muh grey morality!
>m-muh complex motives!
Speaking of things that should just die...
>>
>>52509735
Yes, but if you subscribe to the cancer that is the alignment system, that IS what a Lawful character would have done. Lawful is LITERALLY respect for the rules and etiquette of society. Keyword here being society. Not the laws of gods.
>>
>>52509764
Then what alignment do I have to be to play a brutally moralistic zealot, who could give less of a crap about section 8 article 12 of lord small potato's 4th decree, regarding the treatment of prisoners?
>>
>>52509808
Chaotic good/neutral?. Total disregard for the laws of society in favor of your own set of laws and beliefs.

People misinterpret "chaotic" to mean "lol randumb", but chaotic characters often do have their own codes of honor and conduct. Those codes just don't match up with the letter of the law usually.
>>
>>52509847
This overly-technical interpretation makes no sense. How would you know the laws of an area you are passing through? How would you know what jurisdiction you are in?

You could make a couple arguments against it easily:

1. The spirit of the law is something universal, though the particulars vary, the essence is: respect the health and property of others, and rightful hierarchy
2. So before you say that the priest is superceding this hierachy, in a medieval setting, the priest IS the moral authority. The hierarchy was seen as man>aristocrat>priest>god (but the aristoracy usually competed with the priesthood for authority, and had more temporal power); so a priest would be more than justified in passing judgement on a man who tried to kill him just minutes ago; and wouldn't need to seek the approval of someone lesser on the hierarchy of moral qualification.
>>
>>52510017
P.S. what if you pass through the realm of King Madman, who decrees that everyone must commit at least 1 murder to prove themselves fit? Would it be unlawful not to uphold this?
>>
Law is universal, any law that doesn't adhere to the universal law is actually chaos. Good example of places that adhere to the universal law are lawful planes.
>>
>>52510017
This guy gets stuff.
>>
>>52509666
>character
>Is this BT?

Before the game the DM should make clear (with examples) every ruling that may be ambigous.
What is Law? What is Chaos? What can I do in a grapple apart from what is explicity allowed in the ph?
>>
>>52509711
Alignments are dumb because you didn't put in the effort to understand them, memester.

>>52509666

People get hung up on the word Law. The law axis doesn't mean literally "the laws" but represents an orderly mind that is concerned about civilization, its underpinning rules, and working within the system.

Basically, they're someone who has rules, respects what rules stand for. But rules sometimes contradict each other. Lawful characters often work with multiple sets of rules at the same time.

For example, your cleric is working under the rules of the Church of St. Cuthbert which mandates certain things. Likely, this is your character's principle authority and overrules all others.

Then, there's the laws, basically the rules devised by whatever political system you're in. Lawful characters will usually follow these, because they represent civilization.

A lawful character is Lawful because he values those rules just as much or more than his own feelings in a given situation.

If Cuthbert says those who summon undead shall be killed without question, then no matter how sympathetic a necromancer's reasons might be, it is unlikely that your character would spare them. Your character might not LIKE it (or maybe they do), but they'll feel bound to do it.

And that's the essence of law.

So in your situation, basically Cuthbert's rules and the law's rules were almost the same. Cuthbert was actually more lenient here, giving them a chance to repent. Therefore, you upheld St. Cuthbert's rules instead of the laws, which is fine.

If your character was more lawful (yes, there are degrees, it isn't binary, we're talking about personality traits), they might have tried to comply with both, giving the man a chance to repent and then taking him in.
>>
>>52509666
Playing judge, jury and executioner when local law enforcement is nearby sunds more like LE to me.
>>
>>52515948

Typical but tragically misguided flaw of evaluating middle age fantasy alignment by modern thinking.

The authorities were not nearly so all powerful back then. If brigands stop you on the road, you had every right to kill them and it was encouraged and celebrated. You didn't have to capture them and haul them in to be hanged, you only did that as an extra "fuck you" or to collect a bounty or to appear like killing lowly peasant brigands is below you.
>>
>>52509666
>So I beat him to death.
Amazingly, this is EXACTLY what Cuthbert would do, though for starters:
>Cuthbert Doesn't do speeches, he's an all srs Business-man and IS THE ST Cuthbert, came from earth because that's actually a thing in D&D, see Meepo, Murlynd, the Egyptian pantheon in Faerun, and a few other examples, jackass elves like to fuck with Planar travel outside the great wheel (Originally opened up the way to the Far Realm this way to boot.)
Also, bandits are either lawless ostracized stragglers due to poverty or post-war losers that murder to survive, or just criminals in it for the profit.

And as far as the law goes, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO SCALP BANDITS, AND GET PAID FOR THE SCALPS, DID YOU NIGGERS NOT PLAY BG?

YES YOU CAN BRING A BANDIT TO THE SHERIFF, BUT THERE'S SOMETHING CALLED FUCKING FRONTEIR LAW, AND THAT IS USUALLY MACING A BITCH AND YOU ONLY DO IT FOR BANDIT LEADERS.

Also, LN is pretty much Police officer, and in extremity, A Judge from City 17.
>>
>>52516465

Most people in this thread never played or read DND, have no grasp of the alignment system, and came here to shitpost because complaining about alignment is a meme and they want to join in but they're too inept to get it right.
>>
>>52509666
You tried to convert someone via torture. That is fucking definitively an evil act. Let's break it down.

It's is not evil to kill a prisoner if you judge that A their crimes are execution worthy and B there's no local authority to hand the criminal to. If there IS a local authority, it is your duty to hand the prisoner over to them, especially as a cleric of St Cuthbert, who is, among other things, the God of Police and Courts. If the GM says there's a sheriff, then the sheriff is your next stop.

Setting aside whether or not you have the right to execute them, let's return to the method. It IS evil to torture them to death, because torture is evil. It serves no purpose but for you to work out your frustrations via another beings pain. An execution should be a swift and efficient dispensation of justice, not a vindication of your desire for violence.

Point three, your attempted ''conversion''. ''Convert or die'' is the hallmark of evil gods -
it is a spiritual subjugation, religious slavery. That's keeping someone a prisoner of faith, not gaining a worshipper. Furthermore, the choice you offered runs contrary to the ethics of St Cuthbert - he should be judged on his crimes, not on his faith. If his crimes were worth execution, then you should not have given him the choice to convert like a get out of jail free card, and if his crimes weren't worth execution, you shouldn't have killed him when he refused to convert. You effectively made a judgement based on whether or not he believed in the same god as you, rather than judging him as your equal in the eyes of the law, a big no-no for a cleric of THE LAW GOD.

In short, there are three categories by which your act could be judged as good or evil, and in all three, it was evil. Pray to saint for guidance and don't pull that shit again.
>>
>>52509666
You shouldn't have beaten him to death, that's unnecessarily cruel. Once you decided to kill him it should have been a quick execution.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.