[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG: Standard General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: Amonkhet2_Freebie_Slider.jpg (70KB, 1122x430px) Image search: [Google]
Amonkhet2_Freebie_Slider.jpg
70KB, 1122x430px
Playing?

Hating?

Secret techs?

Thoughts on the Invocations?

Any predictions about the lore? Will the Gatewatch finally meet it's end on Amonkhet?

Speccing on any specific cards?

How'd you do at FNM this week?

Come on /tg/ lets talk about standard.

>RESOURCES:
>Current Standard Metagame
>http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=ST
>https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

>SPOILERS:
>http://mythicspoiler.com/
>>
File: entomb.jpg (34KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
entomb.jpg
34KB, 265x370px
I'll start us off

>Playing?
U/W Midrange. Have been testing G/W aggro and R/B Zombies online though and have been having a lot of fun. May consider building something new.
>Hating?
Nothing really, Cat Combo can get annoying but it isn't unbeatable (at least in my colors)
>Secret techs?
There was some post about Providence in an old thread a few days ago and it really got me thinking about playing it MB in my U/W deck.
>Thoughts on the Invocations?
I like the art (pic related) but the borders bother me. I'm wondering if we'll be allowed to play the Aven Mindcensor Invocation in standard?
>Any predictions about the lore? Will the Gatewatch finally meet it's end on Amonkhet?
I'm really hoping Nicol Bolas at least fucks with them somehow. The Justice League of the Multiverse is getting pretty old.
>Speccing on any specific cards?
With all the cycling I can see Delirium really making a comeback. Traverse is already expensive but it may go up even higher.
>How'd you do at FNM this week?
3-1, lost in top 4 but it was still good fun.
>>
placed first at a GPT this Saturday with a wonky version of mardu vehicles with no sideboard, no gideons, and no hearts. even played against 4c Saheeli and actual Mardu. so with the in store credit got me some gids and a pack of MM3, pulled a scalding tarn. pretty good weekend for me.
>>
Thoughts?

4x Sram
4x Aetherfulx resiviour
4x Bonesaw
4x Cathar's shield
2x paradoxical outcome
2x whir of invention
4x prophetic prism
3x metallic rebuke
4x implement of improvement
4x ornithopter
1X inspiring statuary
1X efficient construction
4x port town
4X prairie stream
4x spire of industry
6x island
5x plains
>>
i am perplexed. i want to make a cool and unique deck that hadn't been done before or at least isn't seen often, but I'm not the best at identifying what is good and bad at a high level. i mean i can tell somewhat, but i feel like im always messing up.

so, recommend me some brews or cards to brew with.
>>
>>52502331
why would anyone play standard right now? new set comes in less than a month, its a solved, 2 deck format where the decks aren't even that fun to play. I think I'll just wait and pray for wotc not to fuck up again and be disappointed when they do
>>
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, sorry if I'm being a faggot here.

I want to start playing MTG and I'm not sure where to start. There a local ccg store within walking distance and I plan on stopping by tomorrow and picking something up, I would like to just start by getting something so my s.o and I can play with each other. And recommendations? Should I just go in the store and sayv all this to an employee?

I'm just afraid they'll try to sell me something overly expensive that I don't need or something like that.
>>
File: 20170402_231924.jpg (6MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170402_231924.jpg
6MB, 5312x2988px
I don't know if im just bad, but I've heard a lot of players say that this card is utter garbage, but i think it's quite decent. makes me want to build a deck that can ramp red mana to do a big finisher, but im not quite sure how i would do it.
>>
>>52506876
Could be really rewarding when it wins. A less reliable combo than something like cat lady but it looks like fun.

>>52507018
Mill actually has a somewhat viable card pool in standard rn. A lot of stuff from the Innistrad block but I think Kaladesh tacked on a few staples too. Startled Awake, Manic scribe, Minister of Inquiries, Thing in the Ice, Rise from the Tides, etc. cards like that.

Also blue walks is pretty fun in standard. Just play 4 Part the Waterveil's (pic related) and throw some other good blue cards in and you're set for some extra turn fun.

>>52507285
I disagree with it being a 2 deck meta. There's plenty of viable decks out there currently. And playing while awaiting for the new set is fine if you already own a deck, but if you don't it's true you should probably wait to see how the new set shifts the meta and buy singles accordingly.

>>52507370
Definitely ask for the shops recommendation, they can give you free beginner decks for learning how to play. If you want 2 decks that are built and balanced to play one another then duel decks or one of each of the most recent planeswalker decks would be a good option.

If you learn the rules and enjoy playing with your s.o then maybe you could consider drafting, it's a great way to learn about different card types and makes you better at deck building.
>>
>>52507370
I think a new "duel decks" just released, its basically two decks that have been designed to be fun to play against each other. It's not that expensive, just $20-25 i think. They are really good for learning the rules and just playing casually together.

There is also something called planeswalker decks, those are pretty balanced against each other as well and contain only cards that are legal in the standard format (the most recent sets). These are like $10-15 each, so about the same price. Either one of those is a good starting point
>>
>>52507483
you can "disagree" all you want but the fact is that vehicles and saheeli each acount for about 1/3 of the meta. The only other semi-competitive deck is the tower deck. If by "viable" you mean they can occasionally take a game off of one of the top decks, then yeah there could be plenty. but there is a reason that no other decks show up in the top 8s of large events
>>
>>52507483
>>52507510

I will definitely ask for the stores recommendation. The duel decks sound perfect for me at this point.

Thanks for the help guys.
>>
>>52507474
It's a great draft rare but in constructed play it isn't as good. It dies to a lot of things in standard rn no matter how much you pump it up. Push, Stasis Snare, and Unlicensed Disintegration all kill it. Could be a fun deck though.

>>52507561
FNM meta's are a lot different than top 8 meta's at large events. I've seen plenty of decks that aren't vehicles or cat combo win FNM. We're not talking about pro meta decks here anon.

>>52507573
No problem man! I hope you enjoy it
>>
>>52507474
unfortunately, the current card pool doesn't allow that type of deck to exist. For one, there is a two card infinite combo that can come down turn 4, so you have to be able to deal with that. In addition, there just isn't good ramp available, especially artifact ramp (the type that these decks want to play). some formats did have viable "big red" strategies, like the recent shadows standard had a g/r ramp deck, but you will just have to wait until wizards decides they want ramp to be viable again.

As for that card in particular, it is not good because it is a 4 mana threat (5 if you want to give it haste) that does nothing when it enters the battlefield and has no protection whatsoever, so it could just be killed by the tons of 1-3 mana removal spells in the format. It also doesn't end the game that quickly, and you will get punished by pumping mana into it if the opponent has an instant speed removal spell (like the very popular harnessed lightning)
>>
is a WG or WGB human counters strategy viable with cards like thalia's lieutenant, renegade rallier, thalia heretic cathar, lone rider, winding constrictor, and other good humans? i was thinking of these and i really want to build this deck now, it sounds decent and you also get access to things like fatal push, stasis snare, declaration in stone, traverse the ulvenwald, grasp of darkness, oath of ajani and other cool shit.
>>
>>52509071
well it was a deck when company was around, so you could probably throw something together and win some games, but i think it is just outclassed by the vehicles deck and doesn't pressure saheeli decks enough and thats why it isnt being played
>>
>Playing?
Modern

>Hating?
Standard
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.