[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dark Souls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: ds-campaign.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ds-campaign.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
I am trying to make a Dark Souls Campaign. However, I have hit a huge roadblock. How should I implement bonfires and estus in a way that works in tabletop but doesn't lose sight of how it works in game?
>>
You stop trying to adapt exact mechanics.

Seriously. Stop it. It never works, and you'll only hurt the experience in doing so.

Stop looking at the surface level details of how those mechanics work and consider what they add to the experience, what parts of their concepts and themes you think are valuable and could be an enjoyable addition to a game.

From there, you should have a much better idea of what you need to do.
>>
Estus are just healing surges like in 4th edition. My healing surges were refluffed as syringes with healing juice in them. But as the previous anon said you're worrying too much about details. Focus on the lore and the setting over game mechanics.
>>
>>52488266

Even in terms of mechanics, when adapting between mediums trying to copy over mechanics is always a bad idea. It's something I see all the time with people trying to make tabletop adaptations of videogames.

Instead of looking at the system as a whole and seeing how each element fits in with the others and adds to the experience, how it works in practice, they copy over the surface level details and then get confused as to why it turns into a clunky, unenjoyable mess with none of the aspects of the original they actually liked despite it being 'accurate'.
>>
>>52488224
I don't want to adapt exact mechanics. Thats why I am here. I want something reminiscent of bonfires and estus, not a copy and paste.
>>
>>52488291

What do you want it to convey? How do you want it to affect the tone, atmosphere and experience of the game?
>>
>>52488306
I want it to show the futility of rebirth that the games have. Having to get back up again and again to sacrifice yourself for the world. This isn't me torturing my players. They asked for this. They also don't have to link the flame
>>
>>52488377
(assuming DnD) every play has the Darksign, which has the following powers

When you die you are resurrected per the spell 1d4 hours later at the last bonfire you rested at.

Bonfires are special fires those bearing the Darksign can create. if they possess a Firelink Sword. There are many swords in existence but they are scattered far and wide. Some are already kindled into Bonfires but many have simply been discarded by the still living for their uselessness.

Bonfire Sword: A twisted, charred sword. It's blunt and damaged blade makes it useless in combat. If planted in a firepit seeded with sufficient ash composed of the undead a Bonfire can be created. Bonfires are special to those with the Darksign as they are the only place they can rest and heal. Undead Bone Shards let them return to bonfires if necessary, but they will also resurrect at the last Bonfire they rested at if they die. Rumors have it that there is a holy relic which allows undead to teleport to any Bonfire they have visited.
>>
>>52488498
Great, thanks! Maybe estus could be some kind of free healing potion that gets refilled each time you rest at a bonfire?
>>
>>52488593
You know, if you shared what system you're using, it would help us help you.
>>
>>52488593
Just have healing surges only come back if you rest at a bonfire - nowhere else.
>>
>>52488617
Dnd 5e. So no healing surges
>>
>>52488692
Hit dice are pretty much healing surges, man.
>>
>>52488692
Yeah, but dice are pretty much an estus flask. If you REALLY want a magical item, it's a refilling potion of Cure Light Wounds usable 5 times, refills after a long rest. And, presumably, you can only long rest at Bonfires.
>>
If you want to implement something a bit more dangerous and detrimental to a player, you might consider adapting Symbaroum's Corruption mechanic. Just refluff it as going hollow rather than being corrupted, although being corrupted by things is also a possibility in Dark Souls.
>>
>>52488809
Sounds great! thanks so much to all of you!
>>
File: 1487388085797.jpg (127KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1487388085797.jpg
127KB, 650x650px
>>52488377
>Futility as core theme

That's going to be hard to do unless you're god-tier, or your players are; it runs the risk of going full edge.

Also, some folks are the sorts of people who would flail their flaccid dicks against a brick wall, if they had to break it down. Futility doesn't factor in for some.
>>
>>52489243
>some folks are the sorts of people who would flail their flaccid dicks against a brick wall, if they had to break it down
That literally is the core theme of the game
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.