[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

An Outside Context Problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: ironclads.jpg (67KB, 529x388px) Image search: [Google]
ironclads.jpg
67KB, 529x388px
You are a tribe on a largish, fertile island; you'd tamed the land, invented the wheel or writing or whatever, the neighbours were cooperative or enslaved but at any rate peaceful and you were busy raising temples to yourself with all the excess productive capacity you had, you were in a position of near-absolute power and control which your hallowed ancestors could hardly have dreamed of and the whole situation was just running along nicely like a canoe on wet grass... when suddenly this bristling lump of iron appears sailless and trailing steam in the bay and these guys carrying long funny-looking sticks come ashore and announce you've just been discovered, you're all subjects of the Emperor now, he's keen on presents called tax and these bright-eyed holy men would like a word with your priests.
>>
>>52485933
By what right do they revoke our sovereignty? Sheer force of arms? It is quite apparent we cannot fight them, true, but we can make occupation and control of our homeland prohibitively costly and dangerous.

Now if, on the other hand, they want to consider trade, both our people could prosper and no-one need be harmed. We could even lease a small parcel of land to these strangers and allow their missionaries safe passage, providing they agree to follow our laws, on our land. Neither of us are savages, after all.

Even the fucking British Empire never just marched in and said, "You're our bitches now;" they always had to create some trumped-up casus belli, to protect their pretense of being 'civilized'.
>>
RIP Iain.
>>
>>52486793
Well, the Belgians did.
>>
>>52486793
Yeah, uh, it's not often that the colonized have been able to not get taken over by the colonizer.
>>
>>52486854
Belgians aren't civilized, everyone knows that.
>>
>>52486854
One example, I'll grant you, but one among many. The Dutch, English, French and Americans all delayed open conquest until they could find a 'civilized' reason to crush the natives under an iron boot.

>>52486891
While true, we've also seen the damage a prolonged insurgency can do. The invaders can be bled white, until it is simply no longer viable to maintain their hold on the lands and they inevitably retreat.

And all our efforts to resist shall be made more effective by the united nature of our people! OP set up the scenario and it's clear that while we lack technologically, we're not a disunited order of tribes, but a kingdom with a single government and support. Discipline, organization and secrecy shall be the keys to our long and bitter victory... But again, only if the strangers are eager to throw away potential gains in trade, in exchange for a bloody and expensive war.
>>
>>52486854
>the Belgians
Fuck off and fuck you. The Belgians -who don't even fucking exist as a people- had nothing to do with it. The Congo Free State was under the direct rule of Leopold II, unchecked by Belgian courts and parliament, because Leopold somehow managed to convince the Great Powers of Europe he was setting up some mission civilisatrice charity when in fact he was running the most brutal plantation system known in history. By the time the "Belgians" (or rather the Belgian state) actually annexed the Free State, the atrocities had virtually ended.
>>
File: Tribe.jpg (44KB, 468x314px) Image search: [Google]
Tribe.jpg
44KB, 468x314px
>>52485933

Man, the tribe west of us got these sky people who dropped them fish. Why can't we have nice things?
>>
>>52486854
No they didn't, it was literally Leopold II and mercenaries.

It was the equivalent of a warlord entering and conquering.
>>
>>52486793

>It is quite apparent we cannot fight them

Is it? I doubt they have as many bullets as you have soldiers, and if you make sure none of them escape alive, nobody from wherever they came from will ever know what happened! Destroy them and take their equipment! Those who fall are a small price to pay for this new opportunity that has risen!
>>
>>52485933
Clearly, I should externally emulate them as much as possible while retaining my own beliefs and values, causing them to trust me more than they should and offer me access to their powerful weapons.

Then, using these newfound devices, I shall conquer the men of the islands closest to here, offering a portion of the spoils from the conquest as "thanks" to my new "benefactors" while keeping the greatest portion for myself.

By the time this is finished, I will have acquired enough power that this "Emperor" must acknowledge me, if not as his equal, then as someone who would pose a threat too great to bear angering.
>>
>>52489406
>I doubt they have as many bullets as you have soldiers, such a shame they also have steel arms and armour
>Peaceful Island with a large number of fanatical warriors all conveniently in one place.
>They can set sail and bombard you in a matter of minutes.
>They're not literally parked in your dock instead anchored offshore in a vessel faster than anything you have.
>>
>>52485933
>>52486793

The way I see it you can do one of two things:

>Total and complete, unrelenting, explicit, constant unexpressed aggression.
Don't even talk, just get your bows, your blowdarts, your shark tooth clubs and don't allow them any footing at all- fight constantly and consistently. Islands with dense Jungle are excellent rocks to stand on in terms of defense.
This, uhhhh, does however have the risk of turning your civilization into a war-mongering shit hole as your culture abandons it's 'humanity' in favor of the cruel conflict it will gradually normalize.

>100 year trading post.
Give them a smaller island; just a plot of land you're not using, but willing to help them develop and basically stipulate that they can freely trade goods, ideas, religion, culture, etc.. back and forth on this island for 100 years with no repercussions.. But ONLY that island and then after 100 years they give it back.
That should give you enough time to either catch up or console your differences to some mutually beneficial agreement.
>>
>>52485933
>Any civilization not knowing what taxation and tithes are.

Yeah, suspension of disbelief failed.
>>
>>52489523
>Don't even talk, just get your bows, your blowdarts, your shark tooth clubs and don't allow them any footing at all- fight constantly and consistently. Islands with dense Jungle are excellent rocks to stand on in terms of defense.
Every time that happened in the past the sailors left, reported it back home and latter settlers killed the savages by formulating a plan and using their technological and vast resource and population differences to win. Overt resistance only ever worked in a few, very niche situations (and usually had more to do with the place being an uneconomic investment.
>Give them a smaller island; just a plot of land you're not using, but willing to help them develop and basically stipulate that they can freely trade goods, ideas, religion, culture, etc.. back and forth on this island for 100 years with no repercussions.. But ONLY that island and then after 100 years they give it back.
That should give you enough time to either catch up or console your differences to some mutually beneficial agreement.
Same problem, the vast differences in technology prevented this, as well as made the local economy completely reliant export. If you economically isolate yourself by providing shit trade deals against such a consumer/production base the ensuing civil war will hand them the land in a decade.
>>
>>52487475
>>52486793
Why are all of you lithicfags ignoring Sneeze of Death?
>>52489406
Great.You killed tens of them and now they are going to bring the dreadnoughts.Good job,dumbass.
>>
>>52485933
Hope you like smallpox and the common cold.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.