[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just found out there are not Illithids in Pathfinder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: Mind_flayer.jpg (73KB, 400x578px) Image search: [Google]
Mind_flayer.jpg
73KB, 400x578px
How the fuck did WOTC get away with protecting Illithids as copyright? These things are clearly stolen straight out of the pages HP Lovecraft.

This is worse than when Games Workshop copyrighted "orks" with a K.
>>
>>52475162
it's kinda sad but you could easily probably find a homebrew of them online
>>
>MFW they tell me there's no Beholders in Pathfinder
>>
>>52475162
Why not just call them 'mind flayers'? I'm pretty sure they can't copyright this name.
>>
>>52475587
Why not just call them "tentaskulls."
>>
>>52475162
You don't know how copyright works, do you? Copyright protects a specific expression of ideas (including names), not an idea as a concept.
>>
File: 1475515890349.jpg (324KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475515890349.jpg
324KB, 600x800px
>Mind flayers are lovecraftian
What is this meme shit? What do they have to do with unfathomable things that shake the foundations of your perception of reality just by showing you the context of that which humans should not know? They're just aliens or future humans with mind powers that eat brains.
Do you call everything with tentacles lovecraftian?
>>
>>52476138
Gygax himself said they were inspired by Cthulhu and were supposed to look like his little minions. They also have telepathic powers, just like Cthulhu. The biggest difference is that they're not aquatic but live undergroud, which is pretty weird considering their appearance.
>>
>>52476555
Gygax was a hack, and the only time "his" concepts have gone beyond clunky campy entertainment was when others took the reigns and built content that actually served to prop up the caricatures he painted.
If he were alive in the modern era and Disney owned Lovecraft, they wouldn't even bother suing because he's so far off the mark with them being "like cthulu"
>>
>>52476138
Mind Flayers were literally in Lovecraft's novels, they were called either Star Spawn of Cthulhu or Cthulhi. See: At the Mountains of Madness.
>>
Lovecraft never copyrighted any of his creatures.

Wizard of the Coast did. Choke on it.
>>
>>52475162
>These things are clearly stolen straight out of the pages HP Lovecraft.
You've never read any H.P. Lovecraft have you? That's OK, but I think you should, they're really good stories.
I'd suggest starting with the shorter stories. Classics like Rats in the Walls, The Colour out of Space and The Statement of Randolph Carter.
>>
>>52476842
.....No.
1)No physical description is given of Cthulhu's race; only idol made of Cthulhu is explicitly described, not Cthulhu himself or any of his 'spawn'.
2)The word 'Cthulhi' is not anywhere in Mountains of Madness, or indeed anywhere in anything HP Lovecraft wrote.
3)At no point were the Spawn of Cthulhu, or the Star-Spawn, or Cthulhu's race, described as six foot tall squid men who liked to eat brains.
You're a fucking idiot.
Actually read the fucking stories.
>>
>>52475162
>These things are clearly stolen straight out of the pages HP Lovecraft.
wat
>>
>>52475162
They're clearly inspired by Lovecraft, but they are legally distinct. They took the octopus head and psychic powers from Cthulhu, but the general idea of tentacles and mind powers cant't be legally protected.

Also, Lovecraft's work is all public domain. I don't know if it was in the 60s, but you can rip him off as much as you want today.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.