[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What language do the races in Magic the Gathering speak?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: wizard shit.png (33KB, 513x402px) Image search: [Google]
wizard shit.png
33KB, 513x402px
If Theros, Amonkhet and the spoilder Atla-mayans are any indication, we're going to be visiting more and more culturally diverse settings as time goes on, which raises the question - why does everyone speak the same language? For Jace it makes sense, he's a telepath and can just download whatever language he needs, but Sorrin, Nahri and Ugin had no trouble communicating despite having come from vastly different planes, and sharing incredibly different upbringings. No one in batted an eye that Liliana or Ajani, who'd never been to Kaladesh, could communicate with the locals. It's not like there was once a universal planar-empire, these cultures all developed independently.

Are they all using a universal translation spell? That raises even more questions, because Chandra apparently can cast fire spells, and ONLY fire spells. Who teaches the planeswalkers the spell in that case?

My personal theory is it's something about the spark - in addition to making you an ungodly wizard, it connects you to the mana of each plane you're on at the time you're on it. As each plane has its own character, it 'develops' languages in line with that, that planeswalkers aren't even aware they're speaking when they arrive. For all they know, everyone speaks the same language.
>>
>>52474041
IIRC that's more or less how it is. Having your spark ignite grants you the ability to speak and understand most languages.
>>
>>52474149
Well it's a lazy explanation but it at least explains how some planeswalkers can be so dumb and get away with it. Is it possible to spoof that mlby making up a language the spark can't translate?
>>
>>52474172
I'm guessing such a language would most likely belong to some faction that somehow defies The Rules of the multiverse and manages to exist outside the typical planar structure. Eldrazi for example. Wasn't Jace only able to speak with Emrakul because of his telepathic abilities or something? I've kinda glazed over recent lore so I could be way wrong here
>>
>>52474273
Emmy put an impression of her in his head, which wasn't "her" any more than just a memory of her, and it was still strong enough it fucked his brain six ways from Sunday. I think it was more her impression was being interpreted by his brain, rather than they were speaking.
>>
Ajani has been to Kaladesh multiple times.
That said, everybody speaks the same language out of plot convenience. MtG is not the only fiction guilty of this, lazy as it may be.
>>
>>52475975
You'd think a fucking lion-man in a setting where they don't exist would only really be tolerated in a plane like Ravnica, where the Simic are a thing.
Seems beyond lazy that people just accept he exists and speaks their language but no one has even heard of something like him before. Aren't planeswalkers meant to keep the multiverse a secret or some shit?
>>
>>52476283
I forget the specifics, but grandma is the only one who knows he's a lion man. I think she made him something that magically alters his appearance?
>>
>>52477157
Makes a little more sense, but you'd think she'd at least care a little. Or does she assume he's a consulate experiment?
>>
>>52477215
She assumes he is her big fuzzy kitty and it is the single greatest piece of Kaladesh's lore.
Literally sleeps on her couch.
>>
>>52477263
This is why Ajani a best and Chandra a worst
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.