[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Fixed damage, random hitpoints >Random damage, fixed hitpoints

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

>Fixed damage, random hitpoints
>Random damage, fixed hitpoints
Which is patrician?
>>
No damage, no hitpoints.
Taking a wound applies a negative modifier to your subsequent rolls based on the wound nature and location.
>>
>>52468386
>Oh Sultan, devil's kith and kin...

Why are Cossacks so based?
>>
>>52468386
The second one.
>>
>>52468386
First one, because you only roll it once.
>>
Actually designing a damage system to fit the premise of the game you're running rather than just going with the standard and not considering how that affects the tone of the game.

>>52468461 for example is suitable for anything on the gritty end of things as well as assuming a certain level of granularity. It's far from the only way of doing it, but it at least shows vague awareness of how a damage system can affect the experience of playing a game and knowing how to choose and design one appropriately in line with your key design concepts.
>>
dwarf fortress is the perfect damage/life system
>>
>>52470397
For instance, wound levels would be bad for playing a Robin Hood fencing duel.
>>
>>52470402
I would totally play a game that involved the DF combat system. Even if I needed to run software to decide the outcome of hits and damage.

>ywn bruise an enemies' fat while shattering his skull and tearing his brain
>>
File: 1477512720998.jpg (81KB, 343x489px) Image search: [Google]
1477512720998.jpg
81KB, 343x489px
>>52468386
>Godly tier
Damage and hitpoints are decided by deciphering Biblical codes

>Divine tier
Damage and hitpoints are decided by ouija

>Monarch tier
Both damage and hitpoints are decided by DM fiat

>Patrician tier
Random damage, random hitpoints

>Bourgeois tier
Random damage, fixed hitpoints

>Pleb tier
Fixed damage, random hitpoints

>Prole tier
Fixed damage, fixed hitpoints
>>
>>52470514

Exactly. For something more cinematic, that sort of gritty death spiral is absolutely wrong for the tone you're aiming for. Some more abstract system like Fate's stress and consequences, Legends of the Wulin's Ripples and Chi Conditions, or Tenra Bansho Zero's approach where Wounds actually give bonuses, not penalties would more effectively convey the tone and style.

Sadly, very few systems really innovate in creating interesting damage systems like that, which is a damn shame.
>>
>>52470581
A boxed tabletop game with some electronic device, like those digitized board games like that new monopoly where you put a fake credit card in some electronic device that comes with the game instead of using the play money, except this would be cool.
>>
>>52470614
>Damage and hitpoints are decided by deciphering Biblical codes
So anima?
>>
>>52468461
What systems do this?
>>
>>52471920
Savage Worlds immediately springs to mind.
>>
>>52470402

DF finds a way to combine HP and wounds in a satisfactory manner that can unfortunately only be processed through a computer.
>>
>>52472039
It isn't even really 'HP', except for in the case of undead creatures, cause how the fuck are you going to simulate death in undead creatures.
>>
Random damage
Random hitpoints
Random stats
Random monsters
Random loot
>>
>>52468386
Personally I prefer both to be fixed (in the sense that there's no rolling, I do want them to go up as the character gets more powerful).

That said, I want there to be factors involved that make the actual damage dealt not the same every time, like rolling to see if you hit and then getting bonus damage if you roll really well.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.