[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PowerLooting = ThatGuy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4851.jpg (325KB, 1600x1541px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4851.jpg
325KB, 1600x1541px
I've noticed that when reading ThatGuy threads, I've seen a recurring line come up with the usual:

>"I roll to seduce the queen"
>"LOL IMA PICKPOCKET the guard"

The line going something like:

>"I loot all the corpses"
>"I loot the body"

I have a party member that first priority after every fight, every corpse found, every instance is "I check the body for valuables and magic items"

It annoys the living hell out of me... but why?

How is this a bad display of gaming or etiquette? What does it say about the power-looter? Is it even a ThatGuy behavior? Or just /tg/ nitpicking someone enjoying the hobby.
>>
>>52464522
Checking the bodies of slain combatants for useful equipment is fine.

Announcing "I roll to seduce the queen HAHAHA NATURAL 20 SHE HAS TO SUCK MY DICK NOW HAHAHAHAHAH!" before the GM even gives the OK to roll makes you a That Guy.
>>
>>52464522
They are being a murder-hobo, which isn't necessarily being "that guy" but is still kinda shitty behavior. It shows that they aren't giving any thought to the fact that they just killed someone, and don't think it care about how it effects the story. Usually people tend to the wounded or figure out what's going on after a battle. Unless you're a mugger, rooting through dead people's pockets isn't a huge priority.
>>
Checking bodies for stuff is fine and normal (you would do it too, wouldn't you?) unless the character has some moral obligation not to take stuff from dead. However, it's not normal if player(s) insist on looting literally everything (even ragged clothes and rusty junk) just for selling unless they specifically roleplay comically greedy merchants.
>>
>>52464522

ThatGuy exists because too many GMs are pussies and don't impose in-game consequences.

Actions like "I roll to seduce..." or "I pickpocket the guard..." just shouldn't just be brushed off, they should also spark dire consequences. Make eyes at the queen? Enjoy the dungeon while waiting to be executed. Try to pick the guard's pocket? After being punched in the face, which arm do you want broken?

Stop being a pussy, impose in-game consequences for idiotic actions, and ThatGuy will either learn or leave.

As for looting, routinely looting the dead is a murder-hobo play style which can quickly lead to nastier thinking and actions. I've found that enforcing encumbrance rules tends to dial back looting, even with all the usual magical dodges. Looting should also take time, time in which other parties attracted by the noise show up to investigate.

Imposing consequences on in-game actions in a fair and consistent manner solves a lot of problems around the table. You just have to stop being a pussy.
>>
>>52464585
In the usual case of party being piss poor "adventurers" who "live off the land", I'd say looting dead bodies is pretty high priority. Also, usually life of
an adventurer is a kill or be killed situation. It's kind of a job where you have to accept becoming a cold blooded killer even if your cause is righteous. Of course it's fine (and refreshing) to subvert that by having pacifist characters or something, but it's not really wrong to play it straight.
>>
>>52464638 #

Hell yeah, we all loot the magic +3 scepter after we kill the boss, but it's become rather silly and much more like what you're describing.

Compulsive, "im a rogue, it's what I do!" looting after every fight when there's shit to be done, constantly trying to collect every single magic item even if they're unusable by this player, cutting the DM off to "I LOOT THAT" so nobody else gets it.

Mostly I'm interested in the logic behind it. WHY is it annoying?
>>
>>52464793
Because his behavior is antisocial displaying sad levels of greed and zero care for the party? Of course that's a fitting way to play rogue, but maybe that's going bit overboard.
>>
The solution for this is easy, lots of random cursed items.
>>
>>52464793
>Mostly I'm interested in the logic behind it. WHY is it annoying?

So you're that stupid? Okay.

Compulsive or murder-hobo style looting is annoying for two reasons. 1st, it's almost always done outside of the PC's "frame" making it a "meta" intrusion into play.

A rogue rifling corpses "fits" the PC's "frame". A cleric doing the same does not. (And don't go sperglord by bringing up evil clerics whose gods demand corpses be robbed and defiled. You know what I meant.) A magic-user pocketing non-magical trifles or magical items far inferior to those they already own is another example.

In all these cases, the player is no longer acting as their PC would and is instead acting like they would.

The 2nd reason compulsive/murder-hobo looting is annoying is that ANNOYING PLAYERS do it.

So it's a combination of the "meta" action AND the shithooks who insist on performing it.
>>
File: dead body.png (297KB, 711x845px) Image search: [Google]
dead body.png
297KB, 711x845px
>>52464522
I don't think looting a corpse is wrong at all (as long as it's not something like "I loot the corpse of this orphan I just killed" obviously). In fact if you clear an encounter, have a rogue, and aren't in imminent danger looting should be compulsory.

Now, looting random NPCs when you're in town is a different story, and is at least minor That Guy behavior since he not only slows the game down but can probably get the entire party in trouble if he fails a roll. Looting from an important NPC without having a good reason to do so is major That Guy behavior.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.