[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Campaign twists.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 63290721.jpg (117KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
63290721.jpg
117KB, 500x370px
Whether it's weird interpretations of dice rolls or just completely unexpected roleplay what are some of the strangest turns your campaign has taken? (not including lolrandumb)

to start off so far my group has:

>kicked an NPC to death to try and wake them up.
>raised a dead PC as a zombie and unintentionally had it attack their family.
>had a Bard that played at a Greatclub
>a PC that survived a dragon encounter by being tentacle raped
>a Paladin that sired a bastard with a prostitute
>been waterboarded
>unknowingly released a succubus and given her shelter
>more or less come to the consensus that cannibalism is ok.
>one PC from the original band (all other players have had to reroll multiple times)

and we're a low level neutral/good party .
>>
>>52461488
maybe some details?
>>
File: bad.jpg (40KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
bad.jpg
40KB, 550x512px
>>52461488
Have a tale of complete communication fail.

>Party's been hanging out in this city for awhile, doing quests for a countess.
>Be me playing wizard
>Sit a quest out to do some research and make some magic items while they go on an "easy" quest to deal with some rowdy sailors harassing the citizens
>While the party is on this quest, the party gets attacked by legit assassins.
>Party survives, comes back, doesn't mention any of this to me.
>Basically repeat this a few more times, party members getting attacked by assassins and such while I'm working on crafting stuff (crafting rules suck and take days of work).
>Party decides to do some investigating and figures out the countess we've been working for has basically finished using us and wants to kill us now to "tie up loose ends".
>Again the party does not tell me any of this in character.
>After foiling her assassins so many times, she tries a new tactic and tries to have us arrested on trumped up charges.
>Guards come to the inn to arrest us, the other party members all GTFO.
>Keep in mind I haven;t been told any of this yet, so like a dumbass my character just stands there and lets himself get arrested because he thinks it's some misunderstanding that can be diplomancer'd.
>Cue my character getting dragged off to a secret torture dungeon for enemies of the state without any kind of trial or judicial oversight, tortured like it's a metal gear scene, and taking permanent stat penalties from it.
>Eventually manage to metal-gear my way out of this prison and find the rest of the party.
>"Hey bro, why didn't you run earlier?"

Fucking shiteaters.
>>
>>52461515
>been waterboarded

at that point we were doing Forge of Fury for dnd 3.5 and we came upon the Roper. We fought it and halfway through combat we realized we couldn't kill it and tried diplomacy. we came to the arrangement that half the party would go off and get some dead orcs for it to eat if it would let our teammates go. while the Roper was waiting he waterboarded half the party by dunking them in a nearby stream.

>kicked an NPC to death to try and wake them up.

our party was going through The Sunless Citadel when they came upon this sleeping kobold dragonpriest in what looked like the remains of a dragon stable. all we had to do was wake the guy up, intimidate him a little, and he'd be our free diplomacy pass through the kobold area. our fighter who was roleplaying as a town guard decided to go Full Metal Jacket on the kobold and kick him awake. our DM made him roll to hit (i think to give the fighter a chance to miss and fall on his ass) so the fighter rolls.
>nat20
roll for damage
>max
in the words of the DM "the kobold flies 30 feet across the room and hits the wall with an audible crack of bone. you killed Meepo dude."
>>
>>52461584
This story gave my a chuckle and a smile.
Thank you anon.
>>
>>52461488
I'm the DM
>Party is basically playing a long sandbox campaign that is basically "Someone else pulled the Apocalypse Stone (not literally) before the campaign started, though you don't know that. Watch as the world slowly falls apart and is devoured by desperate and vengeful gods in an attempt to salvage everything, or help salvage it one way or another"
>Decently into the game, the background plot is about 1/3rd of the way to when shit begins to hit the fan on a cosmic level
>The Empire in which most of the story plays out is boiling up with a potential Civil War looming between two groups who are affected by the events that transpired
>Party finds out that some foreign King who considers himself a virtuous knight just showed up with a small army, demanding answers from the Empire, believing it to be responsible for what's going on
>Party realizes some jackass marching into the Imperial Palace and demanding honour to be served will probably just make things worse, and the only people who can stop the world from ending kind of need the Empire to not be tearing itself apart while they're doing it
>Party decides to beg for audience with the King and they get it
>They manage to point a bigger, more noble target for the King in the form of some monstrous creatures who may or may not be responsible for what happened (party leader Paladin isn't sure if they are or not, and admits to this)
>The Paladin managed to impress the King with his past deeds so much, that I had no choice but jokingly offer on the King's behalf that they should come on his noble quest, and help him rid the world of that evil
>They said yes

TL;DR
>In an effort to avoid a King who showed up with about 10,000 soldiers from igniting a Civil War in their homeland, the Party sent the King off on a noble quest to vanquish some evil, and ended up being recruited by him
>The Paladin is now a close and trusted advisor of the King who enlightened by the consulting now might actually save the world
>>
>>52461614
>our DM made him roll to hit
First mistake. Kicking someone to wake them up should be fucking automatic.
>nat20, the kobold flies 30 feet across the room
Second mistake. lolcrits are bottom tier DMing. No, you can't intimidate the wall. No, you can't bisect the orc with your punch. No, you can't have fun this way.
>>
>>52461488
It wasn't really a 'plot' turn, and may be a bit lolrandumb but

>party is investigating forestside towns where people are getting transformed into primal beasts
>track down a cabal of rogue druids
>using a super-powerful druid artifact, and super charging it through a month-long dolmen ritual to turn all humans in 1000-mile radius beastly
>Party sorcerer: "I cast Create Pit under the dolmen."
>Gm: "..."
>The ritual suddenly shattered, so he cast off a few random 9th-level druid spells.
>Reverse gravity lifted us up, which was fortunate as that meant we avoided the massive earthquake chasm underneath us
>giant wall of magma split the forest in two and started disgorging fire elementals
>long story short, giant forest almost wiped out, nation's shipbuilding capabiliry obliterated

The return to that area was fun.
>>
This one time, I was playing an ogre in a WFRP game, but I never really felt like an ogre at all. The first time I killed and ate a human, one of the other player characters just coolly walked up and asked if he could have a taste. I've never before seen such complete immersion in the role of murderhobo.
>>
>>52461614
Lmao my party did those two adventures before doing Red Hand of Doom. One of the characters took a liking to the roper after it vomited up a ring for them in exchange for bringing it a lizardfolk spawn to eat. So after they finished RHoD they went about restoring Vraath Keep, and went back to Khundrukar to recruit the roper as a guard. The roper wasn't exactly thrilled about leaving its mountain so they had a magic river with a fish generator installed into the cave they were moving it to
>>
>>52461614
>he waterboarded half the party by dunking them in a nearby stream

You know that's not what waterboarding is, right?
>>
>PC had 2/3 of his liver stolen
>mind-controlled pc headbutted an iron gate and broke it down
>accidentally froze a quarter of a city to death
>a pc priest was a bit rushy and started praying and laying to rest a man that was dying but still conscious and screaming from pain because he was half eaten alive by ghouls.
>managed to defend a town from 2 different armies in a row, both of which were at least 4 times greater than their own army, most of which was consisting of fresh conscripts

All this in one campaign. Runequest 6/Mythras as the system.
>>
>>52465302
well since waterboarding is when you bind someone, put a towel over their face, and pour water over their face to simulate the feel of drowning i figured that a roper using its tendrils to hold someone above a stream and repeatedly dunking them in and holding them there until they failed a Con save before extracting them i figured waterboarding was a decent analogy.
>>
>>52468184
how do you accidentally freeze a quarter of a city?
>>
>>52464030
>>nat20, the kobold flies 30 feet across the room
>Second mistake. lolcrits are bottom tier DMing. No, you can't intimidate the wall. No, you can't bisect the orc with your punch. No, you can't have fun this way.
He said he rolled for damage too.
And that he got max damage.
Also:
>Nobody ever is allowed to have a bit of fun because I'm an emotionless grognard
>>
>GMing Edge of the Empire for the first time
>Setting up the party to meet their hookup for jobs, a washed-up old smuggler that's pissed off the local twi'lek crime boss
>The find the guy getting worked over by two thugs in an alley, they jump in and help him
>Thanks them and brings them back to his hideout in an old warehouse, lays out the offer that he gives them a ship and sends jobs their way, so they can help his reputation in the underworld
> THE ENTIRE PARTY PULLS THEIR GUNS ON HIM, STUN HIM, AND HAUL HIM OFF TO THE CRIME BOSS
>This gets them on the crime boss' good side, they start working for him and from there bigger jobs with a Hutt

I was not prepared, but it gave me a fucking great recurring antagonist to the party, with the guy they turned in trying to get revenge on them at every turn and getting more fucked up each time.
>>
>>52468478
You have pretty cool players.
>>
>Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0.
>GM decides that the corporation building we're infiltrating gets abducted by aliens
>turns out the GM had read a sci-fi book series that was basically this plot
>it was planned from the start

Also:

>Mutats & Masterminds
>turns out the big villain was one PC from the future
>tfw the player didn't quite get it
>>
>>52461488
>haha did you know D&D breaks when you don't take things to the logical conclusion and just go with RAW?
yes, anon, we all know this

Have you tried not playing D&D?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.