[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/, you guys are good with worldbuilding for campaigns.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 24

File: Worm Tattletale.png (3MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Worm Tattletale.png
3MB, 1500x1500px
Hey /tg/, you guys are good with worldbuilding for campaigns. Do any of you who've read worm have ideas about what the parahuman culture is in other "western" cultures besides america? Y'know, like England, Australia, etc. What about Europe?
>>
What is Worm and why don't we just make our own culture for a given country/region?
>>
>>52460352

Sort of related but mutants and masterminds has a world atlas sourcebook that could give you ideas at least
>>
>>52460352
Never read it, but if OP could give us some insight into the setting I'm sure we could come up with something.
>>
>>52460352
boring
shitty
>>
>>52460529
>>52460512
Worm's a super edgy web serial about Superheroes. Basically at some point a few decades ago "Parahumans" started appearing with special powers, and because of American superhero comics, Parahumans in America are usually either Superheroes or Supervillains, and are known as Capes.

Once in every while every Parahuman on earth joins forces to defend against one of three endbringers, which are basically insanely powerful boss monsters that not even all the parahumans combined can defeat. They just buy time until Scion, the first cape, gets there and drives the endbringer off.
>>
>>52460539
Now now Anon, no need to put yourself down.
>>
>>52460512
It's some gay /co/ blog some fags are trying to shill here.
Just sage and report.
>>
>>52460669
This sounds idiotic.

>>52460352
Just because /co/ cant worldbuild doesnt mean we'll do it for you.
>>
>>52460352
Worm is bad. Its fans are worse.
>>
>>52460352
Sorry, mate, you're either on during the wrong hours or you've caught a broadside from people who don't like what you like and need you to know it—even if it's on-topic.

Anyways, there's been some remarks from the author about other cultures handling of parahumans, both in the text and outside of it. You should search for that. Also his game about Lausanne during the Simurgh's emergence has some insight about the European scene.
>>
>>52463216
Russia is supposedly in a metal gear-like situation where the parahumans are used as elite private soldiers for anyone who can pay for it.
>>
File: capes in russia.png (135KB, 1859x746px) Image search: [Google]
capes in russia.png
135KB, 1859x746px
I'm pretty sure western superhero culture wasn't shown more prominently because it probably all is the standard "there's heroes and there's villains, they fights" situation with maybe some slight from country to country.

The other cultures were more interesting that that:
Russia is pic related, basically Metal Gear.

China hunts down their superhumans (or kidnaps other countries capes if they can get away with it) and forces them into their army to serve their god emperor, brainwashing them during the process.

Japan wasn't really shown that much but they did have a prominent team that emulated Super Sentai.

South American villains pay off the government for sponsorships while also vilifying the vigilantes that work against them, turning the heroes into wanted men but champions of the people.

The civilized parts of Africa are more of the old "hero/villain" affair while the wild parts are completely fucked up by warlords fighting for territory.

India has the "hot" and "cold" capes, the hot ones are public celebrities (both heroes and villains) and everything they do are flashy publicity stunts to get sponsorship deals and sell merchandise, it's basically superpowered pro-wrestling that takes place in public.
The cold ones are all the capes hidden away from the public, actually monstrous villains that make money through the actually terrible stuff like human trafficking, government black ops teams of assassins, murderous vigilantes etc.
It's a social taboo to acknowledge the cold ones existance.

If you want to play a game set in Worm that actually has a more interesting background than the usualy hero and villain stuff, set it in a non western country.

The above examples are the only ones I could find that have been confirmed by the author but they already are some solid examples for what else there could be.
>>
>>52463216
Please, get the fuck out.
Worm is garbage, and its largely off-topic discussion and shilling that goes on in these threads, and you just saying "Yeah, I'm totally going to run a game about this even though I have absolutely no friends" isn't really all that convincing and doesn't make it ontopic. Just stick to shitting up /co/.
>>
>>52460669
It's funny, because superhero comics in Worm aren't a thing anymore since people started getting powers. It also isn't "super edgy", it's just a fucked up world.
>>
>>52460669
Wow that sounds dumb.
>>
>>52466981
Do you go into all the weapon and armor threads and tell them to go to /k/? Do you go into all the threads about fantasy books and tell them to go to /lit/?

Worm isn't even /co/ material.
>>
>>52468751
Is there anyone in the weapon and armor threads shilling a shitty blog?
>>
>>52468831
>posting about any work of fiction is shilling
Ok. Nevermind that it's been finished for years and doesn't need to be shilled.

Report the thread and move on.
>>
File: IMG_0317.gif (65KB, 405x468px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0317.gif
65KB, 405x468px
Would the world have been better off(before scion that is) if parahumans were declared enemies of humanity and executed on sight?

Lisa's whole 'cops and robbers' spiel? The PRT's own propaganda? They're there to make you ignore the one very big cost. That the little people get flattened in their 'games'.

This is Magneto's vision writ whole cloth. Parahuman feudalism, and humans reduced to chattel. There to serve as ego boosters, background and sacrifices for an alien experiment run wild.
What good did capes do for the world? Gangs ripping up neighborhoods and destroying lives. A cape police force that's largely ineffectual and only staunches the bleeding somewhat. A life where the only law that mattered was the one set down by a warlord, and you'd best hope they were one of the nice ones.

Capes are NOT a fix. They're damaged, overgrown children with fire from the gods and little compunction against squashing mortals beneath them. Heroes? They're just there to indulge in their egos to have a clear 'enemy' to fight against. Without the looming threat of Scion? If capes all dropped dead, the world would be indeed better off.

As for many of the villain threats, how much good did the 'heroes' do in reining them in hmmm?

Nilbog had his kingdom. Moord Nag walked untouched. Heartbreaker had his fill until someone decided enough was enough, damn the time bombs. Ashbeast remained unmolested. The Endbringers? Capes did nothing but die in droves as the city died with them.

Against such threats, the heroes are useless.
>>
>>52460352
I imagine it would be similar to America. There would probably be a smaller Protectorate equivalent organization, like the Guild is for Canada. Basically less official teams and more solo heroes and independent teams like New Wave. For the larger and more stable countries anyway.
>>
>>52469180
>Would the world have been better off(before scion that is) if parahumans were declared enemies of humanity and executed on sight?
No, because then you would feed the parahumans' subconscious desire for conflict and they would fight. You think the few S class threats are bad, wait until you have hundreds, if not thousands, of weaker but still devastating threats. Purity is a natural trigger, and even she is still strong enough to decimate entire buildings in a matter of seconds, and parahumans in Worm don't really suffer from power fatigue like supers do in other settings. You even have ones like Lung (also a natural trigger) who ranks A class all on his own. And is a psycho.

So by declaring war on parahumans, a massive conflict would be created, and parahumans thrive in conflict. That same conflict would also just cause more triggers and since parahumans are directly involved and it would be large scale, there would be group triggers and triggers where the shards bud and mutate from the presence of other parahumans.

Remember that Endbringers tend to strike at areas rife with conflict as well, and without the parahumans to mitigate the damage, entire cities and larger areas would be destroyed. Leviathan has sunk island countries even with the parahumans coordinated against him, and he's arguably the least dangerous of the original trio.
>>
>>52460669
>super edgy
Not really. It's just real world + super powers, for the most part.

It isn't really any edgier then reality.
>>
>>52466981
>>52468909
Worm may be garbage.
It may not.

There is an rpg under production.
Don't know if its fanbased or if the worm guy has anything to do with it, but it's there.

We have to tolerate sharing thread space with other fagnut OPs less legitimate than this, so...

Let's reclaim that status as the nice board for once, huh?
Call op a fag, tell him his gamewaifu is shit and move on to posting variations on similar greentext in another magical realm thread.
>>
>>52469528
Reality is the edgiest thing of all.
>>
>>52462654
I'm not a huge fan. I liked it though.
I'd honestly call it a must read, if you like the superhero genre.
>>
>>52469543
Wildbow is involved with Weaverdice, yes.
>>
Shit, the fag went offsite and called his friends over. Now they're going to bump this thread with chatter just to shill their garbage obsession.
>>
>>52469550
I liked it, but I wouldn't tell people to go in expecting a superhero story, because after Arc 9 they'll be massively disappointed.
>>
>>52469570
Go to the catalog, hold Shift and click the thumbnail for this thread.
>>
>>52469570
But I thought Worm fans have no friends?
>>
>>52469610
Go to bottom of the page, click /co/ and then go talk about your offbrand capeshit there.
>>
>>52469610
They don't want to ignore the thread. They want to shitpost.
>>
>>52469636
Friends in the figurative sense.
>>
>>52469660
Because you seem to want to keep making these misplaced threads. Here's a bit of education, for your own good.

Get out and stay out.
>>
>>52469672
What are figurative friends? If he can go offsite and call them and they listen then they must be actual friends.
>>
>>52469180
>Would the world have been better off(before scion that is) if parahumans were declared enemies of humanity and executed on sight?
If the world collectively decided to go that extreme with it I doubt it would have been much better.
That kind of threat management only would cause more trigger events, except now with people thinking that it's them against the world now so they start fighting back only causing more triggers in the long term.

I guess if the government decided that something definitely would have to be done (without Cauldron keeping up the status quo) they should probably heavily promote signing up with the Protectorate, maybe even making it mandatory, to get in as many capes on their side as possible.

Central to that recruiting would be them using their knowledge about trigger events.
They could reveal it to the public, as opposed to it being somewhat obscure knowledge like in the story, and explain that whatever terrible thing happened they are going to help.
They need some serious propaganda to seem like the saviours they need to seem like but it's definitely possible.

Not to forget that by promoting what a trigger event is (and also explaining that you can't get one if you actively try so don't do anything stupid) they could definitely prevent many from happening in the first place.

>>52469570
>>52469672
>something that has been around for years literally can't have enough people liking and discussing it without all of them just being samefag shills
Really makes you think, huh?
>>
>>52469593
Can't remember which arc that one is.
Pretty much anything after Slaughterhouse 5, is a bit over the top irrc.
>>
>>52469701
If you think they're so misplaced, report them.
>>
You're not really going to be able to stop them from showing up. Imagine this scenario. Someone is at rock bottom and triggers with the classic Blaster Package. Energy beams that are charged through cold exposure and let's even go with a force-field on top of it. What will that person do? Either keep the powers in secret and do absolutely nothing or go do crimes and kil anyone who gets in the way. And there's the general superpowered megalomania that most capes have. Muggles can't do shit against them certain abilities So they are Unlikely to beat him. Chances are that person would go villain instead of go out and wreck havoc and do whatever the hell They want because no one would be able to stop them. Especially with a thinker package. Nothing would stop them from going into a bank and taking what They want. In the scenario of the story, if the government and law enforcement is going to look down on you and hunt you down no matter which way you go... the majority of capes will go villain. Some of them just out of spite, 'stick it to the man' kind of way.

This will create a much worse scenario than it was in Earth Bet. Heroes are outnumbered, but on top of that lack government support. But the point is, they can't really stop it. Capes will show up more and more if things go as they seem to be going. The PRT should no be repeated because that system is flawed and ineffective. But making the capes, at least the hero ones illegal? That's not going to help anyone.
>>
>>52469180
Maybe. Killing metas might stop the endbringers, which is an improvement. It might fuck everything up though.
>>
>>52469729
Arc 9 is the Sentinel Arc, the Wards Interlude one. Happens right before S9 dominate the story for the next 15 or so arcs.
>>
>>52469755
Fug.
Was replying to
>>52469180
>>
>>52469767
It wouldn't stop the Endbringers unless you managed to kill Eidolon, who gave Scion such a run for his money that he had to cheat and use PtV.
>>
>>52469778
Yeah. I could see that as a good stopping point.
Still good book and a half, if it were in print iirc.
>>
>>52469755
Also remember that Taylor saw entire planets ruled by parahumans.
>>
>>52469729
Arc 9 was Leviathan, though S9 happened soon after.

The warlord arcs that started right then was my favourite part in the story honestly even if most people say that that was the point when it started declining in quality.

If I ever manage to convince my friends to try out a superhero game I'd definitely take most inspirations from those, model out an entire city block by block, assign gang control to each block and give the PCs options to gain control by directly attacking or making truces with other gangs (and of course eventual backstabbings) or weaking a gang collectively by stealing weapon shipments etc.
>>
>>52470023
Arc 8 was Leviathan.
>>
>>52469778
Arc 30 seemed like the worst to me, Felt like it jumped the shark too much.
>>
>>52470179
Things started getting bad for me once it went dystopia and stayed dystopia for the majority of the story. Once the portal opened I was hoping we would get more city superhero/villain shenanigans since they said tons of villains were going to be coming to the city, but nope, we only get a taste of that, then things get horrible for Taylor and we leave Brockton Bay and the main cast for a city and a bunch of characters we don't care about, then timeskip, then shark jumping.
>>
>>52470302
I was okay with her identity being outed, but the whole becoming a hero schtick was boring. The portal definitely should have been expanded upon. I would have minded if it brought more international villains, heroes, and governments to Brockton Bay either. Having to deal with upstarts and foreign governments trying to take you out sounds better what really went don't,
>>
>>52470721
>Having to deal with upstarts and foreign governments trying to take you out sounds better what really went don't
What
>>
>>52470721
* what really went don't
What really happened in the story
I don't know why but I keep making simple mistake that I would not have made a few years ago.
>>
>>52469180
Is there any interesting way to translate Number Man's power into game mechanics without just making literally every roll easier because he does the math?

It's a pretty cool power fluff wise but painfully generic when it comes to statting him.
>>
>>52472277
Not really...the number of applications for his magic math skills are far to all encompassing. Ultimate skill monkey is exactly what you are going to get with him.
>>
>>52472277
I always wondered how he managed to pull off that shit with just super math.

Does he have side powers that help him physically?
>>
>>52472277
>>52472440
It can only really get interesting with creative applications, consider that he didn't only use his power to be good at pretty much everything (from physical fights to social interactions) but also pulled some absolutely bullshit moves like wallrunning or being able to negate all fall damage by always being able to roll off any fall no matter how high.

I'd say his power is way too bullshit to even give a PC and he'd be better off as an NPC enemy, negates him being uninteresting to play since it's just the GM using him.
Reminds me how his Harbinger clones gave up the moment they stopped having a chance of winning a fight, would be funny if the PCs continuously tried to beat him for plot related reasons but always get their asses kicked and the moment they build up enough strenght and think they can beat him in one last fight he just surrenders without another word.

>>52472586
I don't even know, just going by his math power it implies it's physically possible to jump off a sky scraper and roll off without being hurt but I have a hard time believing that, we really didn't see that much of him so maybe he does have a secondary power that makes his bullshit possible.
>>
>>52473163
>maybe he does have a secondary power that makes his bullshit possible
I mean, it seems like the kind of thing Wildbow would do. Sylvester processes things faster thanks to the Wyvern formula but he's not physically able to keep up with his brain.
>>
File: IMG_0196.png (1MB, 1024x1638px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0196.png
1MB, 1024x1638px
>>52473163
>>52473452

Number Man has possibly the most bullshit feats in The whole story, bar a few outliers. Yes, he has better feats than Contessa.

Number Man shatters rock, holds down brutes, Can use his pen and hand to shatter a skull like glass, accurately predicted the speed of civilzation's collapse, and the existence of jack's thinker power.
>>
Worm was good. But Wildbow needs an editor. There's a reason they exist. The timeskip was jarring, and of course there were other problems.

Weaverdice seems like it's actually good though.

>>52469767
ACTUAL SPOILERS HERE
The endbringers only exist because Eidolon's power gives him what it thinks he needs. He needed worthy opponents. That's why the endbringers exist, to give him something to fight.
>>
>>52473989
Is Number Man a natural trigger? That sounds like an uncrippled Cauldron power.
>>
>>52474080
He was picked up by King as part of the Slaughterhouse, so the logical conclusion is that he's natural. I think it's just that he was a young trigger, which seems to end up with some of the more powerful capes, whose power really likes him.

Him having the bodily control and reflexes to act on his mathematical predictions is probably due to a combination of a lifetime of honed instincts and reflexes and a secondary power including enhanced proprioception that have intertwined to the point they're effectively one and the same.

It's not like there aren't other powerful capes who are probably natural triggers, Dragon, Narwhal, most of the SH9, Armsmaster, Accord, Gavel, Lung, Imp to name a few.
>>
>>52474385
Dragon is AI, Narwhal second-triggered to bypass the Manton limit, Bonesy is Jack's fault (breadth and depth), Siberian is Manton, Shatterbird is a Cauldron cape, I'lll give you the rest though.
>>
This sounds like the most retarded shit.
>>
>>52469528
The power you get is caused by parasites who have the ultimate goal of 'be Lavos' and the nature of the power is determined by your fucking traumatic experiences that drew the parasite to you in the first place.

It's edgy as fuck, and you're using the general lack of knowledge about Worm to pretend it isn't. You're sickening. Kill yourself.
>>
>>52474608
>Dragon is AI
That doesn't preclude being parahuman. In their interlude Defiant goes through her code and finds evidence of a trigger event.

>Narwhal second-triggered
Still a natural one though. She would still be crazy powerful even if she couldnt SHING! your limbs off. Think about it for a second.

>Bonesaw
She budded but that's still a natural trigger.
>>
>>52474652
Shards are symbiotes if anything, anon. They aren't even really lifeforms at all. Either way this doesn't really begin to matter until you near the end of the story.

Getting powers from trauma isn't a wholly new concept either. It's also not presented as edgy, although I'm sure you could find some examples in the story and then misrepresent them to enhance their edginess.
>>
>>52474661
Dragon being an AI is why she/it was such a powerful tinker, not that her tinker shard exists.
>>
>>52474661
>>52474741
>>52474805
So, are you going to just keep up with this offtopic chatter or are you going to discuss traditional games at all?
>>
>>52474741
>Not a new concept
>Not presented as edgy

You can present it any way you fucking want, getting powers from experiences so bad they break you in some way is edge meme, power extreme.

>It doesn't matter until later

This just in, NGE isn't edgy because it only got bad at the end! Just, fucking shut up with your ridiculous damage control. Edgy doesn't have to be bad (IE, NGE), but trying to claim Worm isn't edgy is absolutely absurd.
>>
>>52474832
So, no.

And you have the gall to ask why people are telling you guys to stop spamming your shit here.
>>
>>52474832
Edge to me is a form of wank. Worm is dark and full of bad shit, but it's also grounded. It doesn't wank all the darkness and misery and violence in the setting.

Sorry that we have different opinions.
>>
>>52474850
So, have you reported the thread yet?
>>
>>52474883
And gravity for me is candy.

Sorry that we have different opinions. That's how retarded your damage control sounds at this point. Since you aren't smart enough to understand hyperbole as indicated by the complete lack of anything resembling brains in your post, it is a play on how something has an established definition, and you're simply saying you have a 'different' definition so you can still win. It's pathetic, and you're a pedantic child sobbing about how people don't like your favorite edgy shit story.
>>
>>52474942
But you've obviously won here.
>>
>>52474850
>All anons I don't like are the same!

This post: >>52474652 was my first post in this threat, faggot. I'm sorry you can't handle the idea that more than one person wants to talk about things you don't. Maybe you'd be better off on tumblr or reddit, where everyone will agree with your special hugbox.
>>
>>52474978
You two deserve each other.
>>
>>52474639
eh
>>
>make a thread
>could be a nice thread
>filled with shitters
Jesus if you don't like the topic get the fuck out. Not like your going to convince the people that actually like to think otherwise.

Any BBEG ideas? Endbringers an are easy choice, when you include people like Accord, Dragon, or The Number Man things can get a bit interesting. Perhaps someone like Echidna who didn't drink all of their potion and ended up a mini Endbringer
>>
>>52475852
A powerful parahuman shadow organization running things from behind the scenes would be good for a BBEG. Like Cauldron, except they're actually the bad guys instead of unscrupulous world savers.
>>
>>52475852
shit typo
>actually like to think otherwise.
*actually like it to think otherwise.
>>
>>52475852

Depends on your players and where you want the game to go.

One of the things people often complained about in Worm was how it started street-level and ended cosmic, with a progression that wasn't quite steady, but also never looked back. So if you want to avert that, choose a playing field early on, and stick to it.

If you want to stay street level, choose a city, and have the BBEG be the big gangs or the Protectorate/PRT. Both have enough potential for escalation and a good narrative without needing to expand too far beyond the starting concept.

Or if you want to play a game with larger stakes, start out with a group like the Elite as the BBEG, known about right from the start, to frame the direction of the game. Like starting a game of D&D staring up at the elder wyrm the players are going to have to eventually take down.
>>
>>52476346
Coil would have made a perfect street-level BBEG. He covers everything from political corruption to violent street crimes, and he employs interesting characters. He's also practically primed to start self-destructing once his schemes start crashing down around his ears, resulting in a tense and large scale final conflict.
>>
>>52476530

I think a lot of the Brockton Bay crime lords would have been good BBEGs, honestly. Kaiser had a huge organization with tons of support and a very profitable legal front. Lots of places for players to start chipping away, while having to dance around things lest the entire organization come down on their heads. Lung was the leader of a small organization with some scary, powerful lieutenants. He's someone that can be fought, but never really beaten. The players would have to be very wary about going head-to-head with any of the main capes, and probably repeatedly run from Lung, all while trying to set up plans to finally take him down. Hell, even Skidmark would be interesting, in an annoying, cockroach kind of way. He'd keep popping up, surviving by the skin of his teeth, and the worse things got in the city the more he'd thrive, bringing like-minded people together. Plus you have Squealer, who most of the time is a joke but occasionally comes up with something that would give Lung pause, at least until it shakes itself apart.

Flip it around and you've got Armsmaster. A man driven by his desire to advance and be recognized, who is incredibly skilled in various arenas, but falls down on the interpersonal level. Every time he loses, he doubles down, all while his position in his organization becomes weaker, and he's driven to greater heights of recklessness.

Plenty of options.
>>
>>52476617
You left out New Wave, and how half their members take black and white morality to an extreme. They could be real trouble for any player operating in more of a grey area, and unless they have a good powerset they would have to run, because Glory Girl and Brandish do not play games.

It really sucks that Wildbow moved away from all of this to focus on giant monsters and crazy serial killers and depressed homicidal entities. Oh well.
>>
>>52476705
>It really sucks that Wildbow moved away from all of this to focus on giant monsters and crazy serial killers and depressed homicidal entities. Oh well.

This is a pretty common opinion, but I don't think Worm would have been half as interesting if he'd stayed small. Part of the reason for that is the amount of unexplored or partly explored territory that exists. Lots of factions got a bit of focus, and showed up now and again, but weren't really exhausted. Even the E88 came and went in the story, but there was never any kind of 'E88 arc' or anything.

That continued once the focus shifted, and to me at least it really helped sell the setting as something bigger than just one person, or one story.
>>
>>52476810
Maybe a group like the Travelers could be the PC's? Except on a international scale, crossing countries and seeing the how each country handles capes. A run in with the Garama in the day only to have the Thanda come after them at night. Or dealing with a South American Cape Cartel.
>>
>>52469528
>It isn't really any edgier then reality.

There's a squad of superpowered hobos that go around destroying cities, horribly torturing and murdering people.

The heroes and law enforcement are literally incapable of stopping them despite most of the hobos being vulnerable to conventional weaponry, and the omniscient character who can solve any problem without fail simply neglects to do anything about them, even when they make a thousand clones of themselves and hit every major city at the same time.

It's retardedly edgy.
>>
I mean for a game though I think staying small works better, i feel like an end bringer fight or the like would actually be really frustrating to play
>>
>>52476944

That's definitely a thing you could do. There'd have to be a reason to go gallivanting around the world like that, though. Easy enough to contrive one, but making it one that the players would accept might be slightly harder. Unless they just want to go globetrotting on their own. But players being players, they'd probably get distracted by something and focus in on one location.

>>52476982

I don't entirely disagree. I think you could definitely do a larger-scale game well, but a smaller scale one does feel more natural.

That said, I think an Endbringer fight could be good... punctuation, I guess. Find a place where the balance is teetering, and force the players to focus on the stuff they want to save, while upsetting the board.
>>
>>52476810
I wouldn't have wanted him to have stayed strictly small, I just wish that he hadn't shifted focus so drastically. Part of this is his pacing issues and how he makes things drag out for way too long or has intense situations back to back to back. I would still be fine with Endbringers and S9 if they didn't take up so much focus. The end of the world shit though, that I despise with a passion. I still remember how quickly my insides went sour during that scene where Dinah announced it.
>>
>>52476965

Hey. Hey. Not everything bleak is edgy kiddo. Most irl badguys aren't immune to bullets, but that doesn't magically wipe out all human traffickers, cartel bosses, corrupt politicians, or oligarchs.
>>
>>52476965
Wasn't it stated that they really only go to places that were struck by disasters and how they were more "shock and awe" than "I own this city". Also Bonesaw pretty much made most of them very tough to put down. Sounds like your standard terrorism though. Move in and out fast and make people afraid of you. Lay low when the heat is really hot.
>>
>>52476982
I think the focus of a Worm game should stay largely on one city, and maybe you could do one Endbringer fight just to shake things up if things start getting too "status quo". Just one, though.
>>
>>52477057

To each their own, I suppose. Like I said, it's not an uncommon complaint. Personally though, I liked the end of the world stuff. I think some of the best parts of the story were around or after the Behemoth fight, or after the S9000. That just happened to be the least stable part of the story quality-wise, unfortunately. Plus... yeah, I'm a huge Worm fan, but even I'll admit the time-skip was a big misstep.

That said, the S9 stuff really only went on for a few arcs. Arcs 12-14 only, though their candidate interludes were at the end of arc 11. But out of 30 arcs, the S9 only took up three.

Now, the S9000 on the other hand... Well, they're another matter, and another misstep, I'd say.
>>
>>52476965
>The heroes and law enforcement are literally incapable of stopping them despite most of the hobos being vulnerable to conventional weaponry
So untrue it's not even funny. The S9 has an incredibly high turnover rate, with Jack being the only remaining original member. The only ones that last are the crazy dangerous ones that actually AREN'T vulnerable to conventional weaponry. Bonesaw also enhances them physically with her tinker powers, making even the vulnerable ones like Jack more resilient.

Even in the story, lots of them get killed. Mannequin, Crawler, Cherish (after a fashion), Shatterbird, Siberian, and Burnscar. All killed.

Scion doesn't do anything about them because he wasn't told to. That is literally how he works. He isn't a hero. He's not human. He's a warrior entity in need of direction.

Have you even read it?
>>
>>52477177
>That said, the S9 stuff really only went on for a few arcs
Did it really? It felt like so much longer.
>>
>>52477249

A lot happened. And, admittedly, they were introduced earlier. Their intro-killings were in arc 9. Taylor learned about them in arc 10 or 11. The interludes where they chose candidates were at the tail-end of arc 11. But the actual S9 segment, where the story was about them, was just arcs 12-14. Everything from the meeting in the crater lake to the agnosia plague was in those arcs. From 15 onward they were gone, and it was back to warlording.
>>
>>52477125

I don't think "should" is the right word. I think it'd be easiest that way, and most likely to be a good game. But there's tons of potential options.

Now, if we're talking about a group's first game in the setting, that's another matter. Starting small just makes sense then.
>>
>>52477286
That's crazy. When does Echidna happen? Around Arc 20 or so, right? I know Taylor is unmasked around Arc 25.
>>
>>52477366

Echidna was arc 18-19, with arc 17 being the Travelers' interlude arc. Unmasking was in arc 20. She turned herself in at the end of arc 21. Coil died in arc 16.
>>
>>52477366

Dude. Not him but just read it. Why does everyone want spoilers?
>>
>>52477403
I did read it. It's just been a while.
>>
>>52477393
I think it's about time I reread it.
>>
>>52477550

The fan-made audiobook is finished now, if that's your jam. There's also a pretty nice podcast going in-depth on analyzing it arc-by-arc, if you want to read along with them. They're only four arcs in right now, and updating week by week.
>>
>>52477583
Neither of those things are my jam, but thanks.
>>
File: Eidolon worm.jpg (115KB, 1365x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Eidolon worm.jpg
115KB, 1365x2048px
>>52477125
Endbringers aren't the only way to shake up the status quo, I honestly have a hard time even imagining how an Endbringer battle would even work in an RPG without being a clusterfuck to handle.

Any other high powered parahumans can be used to fuck up the playing field and keep things interesting for the players.

Slaughterhouse 9 came to town to test their new line up, they attack whoever seems fun to fight.
Interesting targets like gangs and are the first to be attacked and the PCs can use the chaos to advance their own goals, but if they take it too far and make big moves to quickly they are at danger to become interesting targets themselves.
Basically give the players the chance to easily get what was hard to get before at the risk of having to face S9, make them figure out themselves if the risk is worth it or if they'd rather just stay home for a while and rule the ashes after S9 leaves and most organizations lost their leadership/got wiped out.

A higher up in the local Protectorate turns in a favor and your town gets selected to be visited by the Triumvirate for an entire week for PR reasons (mingling with local heroes, training with wards etc.), most villains cease their openly illegal activities for the time.
Public heists are considered basically impossible and businessmen seize the opportunity to move shipments of all kinds through the city, the good stuff like pure diamonds or expensive paintings usually require paid protective services from mercenaries but why pay now? What absolute madmen would even try a heist when the Triumvirate is in town?
The villains that decide to turn this into a dick measuring contest.
Anyone can instantly, no matter what their reputation was before, become the baddest motherfuckers in the city if they pull off a heist in this environment.
Small teams become iconic legends, large teams lose all rep and get considered cowards for not even attempting, and a whole bunch of people get arrested because they fail trying.
>>
>>52478792
Those are all good too. You're right, I think it would be hard to handle an Endbringer attack mechanically. But they're a big part of Worm, and not including them feels wrong to me. Like you would be blithely ignoring the dire straits the setting is in.

Maybe make it a mechanically light situation? If I were to run one then I would make it a kind of background danger while giving my players something else to focus on through it, like how Taylor was leading a search during the Behemoth attack.
>>
Has anybody here come up with any good Worm-esque powers?
>>
>>52460669
>>52469528
Nope, it's really fucking edgy.
The MC is a girl who's getting bullied by everyone right until the end of the story, where she mind controls the entirety of humanity's supers in order to stall the BBEG for five minutes. Then she gets double tapped for her efforts.

Said BBEG encounter started with the leader of the local merry band of murderhobos (Who have nice tricks such as an invincible cannibalistic woman who's actually just a projection created by some dude and looks suspiciously like his dead daughter, a girl with the power to understand Biology really well and do brain surgery to make people's powers torture their users for eternity or combine two people into one monster or just vivisecting someone and spanning his organs across a room while he's still aware, and a dude who's basically turned himself into an assassin puppet that replays horror movies with people he thinks might make the world a better place) convincing said BBEG that indiscriminate murder is more fun than doing good things. Which he could only do because, surprise, his superpower is actually the power of communication.
And then the BBEG starts murdering people. First he nukes England, then he realizes that it's more fun to, say, kill someone's significant other and let the other one live for a while. He then turns to more and more sadistic methods of murder, until he gets bored.
Then then gets killed by bullying him with his dead mate, which only works because he had a simulated human personality that started intermashing with his own once he started enjoying murder.

>>52466981
You can thank the puritanos on SV and SB for most things wrong with /tg/ for the past few years.
The Worm shilling is just them getting more overt.

Man, you should see their completely homogenous comments whenever the Nazi gang (There's a Nazi gang, a Pan-Asian gang and a druggy hobo gang in the main character's city) is mentioned, even though those guys might be the least horrible of the three.
>>
>>52480542
You have a plasma generator in your chest.
It's an empty cavity, which extends to the outside. A thin layer of plasma makes it impossible to get infections from it, but you can see inside.
The plasma can be controlled and comes out from the hole in your chest.

It's not Worm if the power isn't at least slightly creepy.
>>
>>52479905
>Maybe make it a mechanically light situation?
Exactly, I always found those Endbringer stat me threads pointless in the past.
There is no reason to keep track of Endbringer health because it's always whatever it needs to be right now to still pull off a hard but winnable fight.
There'd only be some rolls on dodging attacks and the rest would all depend on how well you could describe the fight and all the other capes around. It would be more like a puzzle, the players trying to figure out how to get organized in the most effective way to attack and what the target the Endbringer is aiming for.

What I still find hard to handle is the high lethality, it would be appropriate for the setting but probably won't be fun to play if there is a real chance the whole group can just be dead like that maybe without even having caused any visible damage in return.

>>52480610
>You can thank the puritanos on SV and SB for most things wrong with /tg/ for the past few years.
Please elaborate.
Also is it really shilling if it's just people genuinely wanting to discuss something? There's about one thread every few weeks, you say it like it is getting spammed non-stop on /tg/.

I agree on the whole thing about the Nazi gang though, can't stand SB sometimes.
>>
This thread is /tg/ at its worst.

Edgy contrarian children trying to kill the versatility of the board
>>
>>52480542
Power that simulates everything that has happened within range(say about a mile) in the 30 minutes before activating the power. Cape mentally explores the area from the past as if they were a ghost, able to move through objects but unable to interact with them. The simulation proceeds as it actually happened. For each in-simulation minute passed, five seconds pass in reality. Cape may end the simulation at any time.
>>
>>52480774
>Also is it really shilling if it's just people genuinely wanting to discuss something?
On the one hand, I have nothing against Worm, as long as the fucking fanbase that claims it's the best thing ever fucks off with their gushing.
On the other hand, being too open to outsiders is one of the reasons why /tg/ is now such a mess.

>Please elaborate.
Have you ever wondered why lolicon shitstorms are so common here? Or why white knight responses are the default?
Wonder no more, it's because of those fucking sites nesting on this board and trying to make it as family friendly as possible.

My assumption is that those two sites are attractive to teenagers, genuine autists and SJW types. It's an unholy concoction that burns the ground wherever it hits.

Their fanfiction quality is decent, but they suck at giving criticism. Instead you have certain people, like some fucknugget with a Yuuno Gasai avatar who ALWAYS posts the same fucking "don't let the door hit you" response if anyone writes anything remotely constructive.
>>
>>52480542
An identity-based Master effect.
e.g. they take someone's bottom bitch bedroom identity in exchange for someone else's public persona.
Also gives the Master insight into the identities of people.

They can temporarily "slot in" identities to, e.g., turn themselves into a hardened killer.
>>
>>52480610
Horror is edge now?
>>
>>52480836
That fanbase isn't here, anon. Worm threads on /tg/ have always had criticisms for Wildbow and his works. Nobody is gushing.

Also:
>muh boogeyman
>>
>>52480836
>On the one hand, I have nothing against Worm, as long as the fucking fanbase that claims it's the best thing ever fucks off with their gushing.
Most of comments here are talking about how he shit the bed towards the end of the story.
>>52480914
Stranger-Breaker class
The stranger is able to dive into flesh without it displacing the bio-matter. Can hide inside of people or animals close to his size. Can't rearrange their insides, but can pull foreign objects into them once he leaves the body all the foreign objects materialize inside of the victim. Can't use corpses.
>>
>>52481110
That's a good idea for a power, but I would say let him inhabit any kind of animal. The catch is that the smaller they are, the more strain he puts on them and so he can't inhabit them for long. I mean how many animals are you likely to find in a city that are close to a human in size?

It would also be a Master power, I think.
>>
>>52480542
Cartridge Tinker
Can create cartridges that have effects on a system. Knows how to modify systems to utilize those cartridges.

Effects can vary, to a degree comparable to Bakuda.

The exact mechanics depend on which device has been modified.
A gun consumes cartridges like normal bullet cartridges Hit something and it turns invisible, is healed, explodes, gets time shifted, whatever.
A phone with a cartridge can use it to gain a power boost to its signal strength. Or to create an EMP. Or to teleport to the recepient of a call.

Each cartridge is consumed after use and effects are immediate with short durations.
>>
>>52478792
>>52478792
>Low-level villain team decides to pull off a heist on a truck carrying a bunch of valuables
>The whole operation hinges on not using their powers until the last possible moment to avoid alerting the Triumvirate
>Sabotage one of the bigger gang's attempt to cause a window in which the Triumvirate is distracted

I love it.
>>
>>52480707
I dunno. Shadow Stalker's power on its own wasn't creepy.

Clockblocker.

Battery.

Flechette.

Vista.
>>
>>52481517
Well, my point is not exactly creepyness (even if I used the word) but inhumanness.
Like, Vista's power is mind breaking spatial warping, Shadow Stalker's turned her into a fucking fog.
Flechette has perfect timing, which allows her to do freaky shit if she wants to. She could purposefully put herself into the uncanney valley for psychological terror attacks, for example. (Remember her fooling Grey Boy with the power?)

But yeah, Battery is way too relatable and Clockblocker puts the "power that ironically fucks you over" aspect too much into the foreground. It's the same with New Wave, for example, aside from Panacea and Glory Girl.

But generally, you have shit like almost any human-affecting Master power, Skitter's tendency to have weird body language thanks to her bug senses and her multitasking, Grue's terrifying darkness, Tattletale's invasion of privacy, Lung's "dragon form" which is some kind of alien monstrosity that's only tangentially similar to a dragon (e.g. the four-pronged jaw), etc.

The best powers are the ones that you can look at and say "yeah, that looks like something created by a being that doesn't quite understand humans". Good are also the ones that are freaky as either a side effect or a not immediately obvious characteristic.
(And yes, I know that Wildbow prefers powers to be ironic in some way, but I look at Worm more from a "cosmic horror hidden behind street level cape fights" perspective)

I'm not sure if the tinkers are the weakest of the lot in that regard.
Like, on the one hand their shit is generally crafted in a way that makes sense to a human.
On the other hand, you have Armsmaster turning himself into a fucking cyborg. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a thing that most tinkers could do if they really wanted to.
>>
>>52481517
WeaverDice powers are much more horror-oriented that what you see in Worm. One is that the setting is more settled, and another is that Worm is probably going to get edited so much to make it horror rather than "muh realistic (not at all) superheroes".
>>
File: Dauntless Armsmaster Miss Milita.jpg (450KB, 1005x805px) Image search: [Google]
Dauntless Armsmaster Miss Milita.jpg
450KB, 1005x805px
>>52481161
I'm pretty sure it would only be a Master power if that person could also control the people and animals they dived into, otherwise it's just Stranger.

>>52481445
Exactly what I was thinking off, I also considered the idea that the PCs could have the option of making an effort to organize gangs and villain teams to hold a meeting and consider, if they are many and the Triumvirate are few, how many of them would be caught if they all decided to hit at the same time?
They pick a date and time and negotiate who gets which locations (larger gangs could use the fact that they have enough manpower to run additional distractions as leverage for better locations).

For that moment the city will be in complete anarchy, gangbangers start riots, fires and shut off power supplies as the villains hit their location and pray that they aren't going to be the ones who will have to face the big 3.

The players get to decide how many and who they invite to the meeting, they can exempt gangs and people they don't like to effectively control who has the chance at getting rich and famous that day, but they can't only invite the ones they like because those probably will be too few to actually gain the strenght in numbers.

Not to forget the potential for backstabbing, because who could think all of this would go off smoothly without any backstabbing.
>>
>>52482236
You can even flip that whole scenario for a team of heroes, having to deal with the attempts that Triumvirate don't cover.
>>
>>52472277
Take 20 on any and all rolls.
>>
>>52482438
What if I play with D10 dice pools? I get two successes for free?
>>
>>52482476
Actually, thinking about it, this might work:
He always succeeds, but you roll for his luck.
So he's perfect, but shit happens that is unforeseen and can throw him off.
>>
>>52481161
Yeah the ability to would help fit the breaker classification, >>52482236 understood why I put the Stranger classification, I was also thinking of letting the Stranger have the ability to reach outside of the body they are currently in and pull things inside. Maybe let it be scarier by letting them be able to ignore the Manton Effect and fuse people together with the ability as >>52480707 said about having slightly creepy powers.
>>
>>52477231
I think he was talking about contessa.
>>
>>52482236
It wouldn't only be a Master power. It would still let him hide and infiltrate, so it would also be Stranger. Masters in the story have gotten Stranger ratings for less. That V guy who has eye contact commands, for instance.
>>
>>52483549
Still stupid, because Cauldron doesn't care about the S9. In fact they actually wanted to keep Shatterbird alive.
>>
>>52483540
Sounds like Watch and his phantom hands.
>>
>>52483586
I thought they wanted to keep Jack alive so that the boss fight happens before humanity has lost most of its population.
>>
File: 1487785708203.png (40KB, 853x543px) Image search: [Google]
1487785708203.png
40KB, 853x543px
>>52483558
That's what I said though,
in case it was unclear, I said "it would only be a Master power if that person could also control the people and animals they dived into" and since that person can not in fact control the people and animals it is not a Master power.
>>
>>52480776
/tg/ at its worst is simply idiots being idiots and feeling they are above criticism.

Worm is not worth sharing. It's certainly worthless as inspiration for a game, because it's all completely derivative of better works and worlds, and all it brings to the table are some genuinely awful ideas, with endless examples that can be found in this thread.

/tg/ is at its worst is when it tolerates too much, not too little. As bad as being a snob may be, it's certainly better than having /tg/ just be another /b/ where people can spam anything, regardless of how awful it is.

It's really sad that you can't trust /tg/'s opinions anymore, because there's guys like OP who have the terrible combination of zero taste and zero shame.
>>
>>52484556
Please put on a tripcode so I can recognize your authority in the future over what I can and can not enjoy.
>>
>>52483605
They specified Shatterbird.
>>
>>52484556
Nice opinion.
>>
>>52483631
Sorry, I thought you meant that it would be a Master only power.
>>
>>52481517
>Shadow Stalker's power on its own wasn't creepy

>The sound of a laptop crashing to the ground made Vista turn. She saw Sophia in her shadow state, wispy, her skeleton visible beneath her skin, warped. The girl’s eyes were too reflective, her entire body seemed to bend and distort, not completely solid as she leaped towards Vista.

>implying that's not creepy as fuck
>>
>>52486850
That's the kind of writing in this thing?
How are you supposed to have ANY emotional response to that aside from pure cringe?
>>
>>52486970

Those are the mid to late chapters. First you're going to read the high school chapters. These will elicit a response...
>>
>>52486970
It's just a descriptive sentence. What exactly makes you cringe? Your negative predisposition to the entire story?
>>
>>52486986
I never really saw the problem with the high school chapters, aside from making for a pretty weak start.
>>
>>52487582

There is no problem. It just covers heavy topics that a lot of people can relate to pretty early on.
>>
I like stealing stuff from different settings and using it in entirely the wrong situation.

I took Toy Story, and made it so the Toys are cloned humans in the future, subservient to (from their perspective) short lived god-like AI.

So Buzz is newly awakened in a strange, having to deal with learning that his memories are all fake, his existence based on ancient history/ a story/ a far off world.

Also, maybe he attempts to start a minor toy rebellion and live without the "Gods" the other existences so slavishly worship.
>>
>>52487741
Oops, wrong thread.
>>
>>52486970

Pretty sure that's fanfiction or something. I definitely don't remember it from the actual story. Vista never had an interlude, and Shadow Stalker's power wasn't really described like that at any point I can remember.
>>
>>52460669
It wasn't actually entirely due to American superhero comics.

It was more due to the fact that the secret parahuman illuminati group actually set up that system, at first, incentivizing people to fight as either heroes and villains. They used superhero comics as an excuse- a reason for villains not to kill the shit out of everyone, because then they'll have their identities revealed and being executed. A bit of crime and murders weren't big on their scale. Parahuman lives were big on their scale.

It was their way of trying to make sure that more and more parahumans survived, so that they could fight the endbringers and Scion. Heroes weren't killing villains, villains (Except for the reckless, insane, or extremely powerful) weren't killing heroes due to the threats of, say, being unmasked and assassinated, and generally things were kept stable.

The alternative would be, generally, chaos and what little we saw of third-world countries and other earths. Parahumans each eke out their own kingdom, kill the shit out of other parahumans, and general death and chaos everywhere.

The goal was, essentially, to avoid the Entity's plans (which had been geared to break up civilization and keep large groups of parahumans from working together, inducing as much conflict and combat as possible) while working around them.

>>52469543
Weaverdice is pretty shit, honestly. M&M is a lot better for running a Worm game. Unless they've changed it since I looked.
>>
File: 1473376884694.png (566KB, 1280x1162px) Image search: [Google]
1473376884694.png
566KB, 1280x1162px
Brian and Sophia had literally the same backstory, both having been abused by step parents and developing shadow powers and being black.
I always wondered why nothing more came out of that.

>>52487799
There was an entire arc dedicated to the Wards that happened right after Leviathan and Taylor finding out who Sophia is, I think that particular segment was when Shadow Stalker attacked Vista after she was called out for being an actually pitiful person.

>>52487827
>M&M
I haven't taken my time with it yet but from what I have seen the character creation/power creation part is pretty damn great and flexible, I have heard that the actual combat though is kind of mediocre, were people just exaggerating?
>>
>>52487799
It's from the Sentinel Arc.
>>
>>52487909
I remember when everybody thought Sophia's trigger was being raped.

Didn't it actually turn out to be verbal abuse or something?
>>
>>52469563
>>52487827
Ah.
Nice they're taking an interest in it, but a shame if it's shit.
Always on the look out for a good supers game.
>>
>>52488126
The problem with Weaverdice is that the person who wants to play a character literally stays silent while the rest of the party makes discusses their character for them. Then you roll for everything else.

So you don't actually get to create your character. You roll to decide how you're fucked up, and let other people create your power for you. There's no way for you to plan character directions or anything. If I want to play through, say, an Aribeth-style 'fall to darkness', then I just make a paladin and talk to the GM about that, we'd come up with some ways he could fall to darkness, and then the GM works it into the story.

But with weaverdice, there's no way you can work on that kind of stuff. If you want to make an unconfident person and have him slowly get his ground beneath him, grow him to be more confident and reliable, then you just kind of.. Well... You end up with the trigger of 'murdered another person', the flaw 'desire to tear people apart' and basically Alan Wake's virus powers, then there's no way you can have that kind of character arc.

I mean, there is actually a legitimate line in the WIP rules that says 'The person who is having their character created should stay silent.'
>>
>>52488298
That sounds stupid as fuck. It seems like the best way to play a Worm game would be to adopt another system to it, like make it a homebrew for a Mutants and Masterminds game.
>>
>>52488126
Wildbow runs some games, and he's put out stats to use for some capes in it.

It does suck that Weaverdice doesn't seem to be very good.
>>
>>52488298
Don't forget that the power is also supposed to have some kind of irony attached to it.

Like, Clockblocker's dead is dying from cancer and so he triggered with the power to stop the cancer... For an indefinite amount of time. And while his father is time stopped, he is also essentially dead.

This makes it even more retarded. Want to become more confident?
You gain a power that's passive and becomes more lethal the more confident you are.
>>
>>52488298
>>52492973
As annoying as it seems (if I remember correctly the first lines of the rulebook even acknowledge it as such), Weaver Dice is made to fit the tone of Worm and not having control over what powers you get and the powere only fucking you over in the end is an essential part of the setting.

I fully believe that if you get into the right mindset beforehand it can be enjoyable.
Not to mention that the whole brainstorming powers from a trigger event segment is pretty damn fun even on its own.

Does Weaver Dice suck on the mechanical side though?
Last time I checked it was too incomplete to judge.
>>
Alright, it seems like now is the time.

I have always been of the opinion that this could be adapted to suit The Worm setting, because it is also a setting with weird, highly specific, unbalanced powers, and struggles with the same issues of people coming up with setting-defyingly boring ass powers if you come up with them in any reasonable way and giving players no control in the unreasonable case.

I made this for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure stands, and the mechanics section at the end is for use with Nights Black Agents, but I think if you weight the rolls for stats a little lower to alter the power level, roll spiritual body characteristics into general bodily enhancement, and ditch the thematic enforcement of power names etc, you'd come up with something pretty effective from this. It's relatively setting agnostic. Maybe a little TOO weird for Weaver. There are, after all, still people who *just* fly and are strong in that setting.

https:// d o c s .google.com/document/d/1plyDBqcyChY-MFaRF7LFYGLYrS7511LsXvAhbQtOBIk/edit?usp=sharing

>>52494470
Also yeah, I am constantly surprised how many games of Weaver Dice have been run because it is barely a game. Several core mechanics are just... not written yet, at all.
>>
>>52494546
>There are, after all, still people who *just* fly and are strong in that setting.
Are there really people whose only power is flight or a brute package without a twist?
Worm powers always have some kind of quirk attached.
Thematically, they need to be exploitable and have enough meat on them to create depth in exploitation of their specific characteristics, after all.
>>
>>52492973
I feel like the whole irony thing wasn't thought through all the way. For some main characters it might be the case, but does it fit on a broader scope? Remember that group triggers and buds and being second or third generation can all impact what kind of powers you get. Then you have guys like Browbeat, who triggered from something like jumping freezing water "for science". How do his powers relate to that? And Golem, he triggered from being isolated, which is supposed to produce Masters. Instead he got some kind of Shaker power related to his dad's.
>>
>offtopic chatter
>zero games discussion
>constant thread necromancing whenever it gets to page 10

So, instead of just killing one thread with your offtopic one, you plan to keep killing more with this by bumping it with /co/ talk?

Shouldn't you just go to /co/?
>>
>>52496080
>zero games discussion
There is game discussion just 3 posts above you
>>
>>52494606
>Are there really people whose only power is flight or a brute package without a twist?
Alexandria I guess? But I guess you could count "absolute invincibility except against hax" a twist.
>>
>>52495995
Yeah, it makes much more sense when you go with "a given shard has a given function, which manifests as one of many possible powers depending on the circumstances of the triggers, and shards don't quite understand humans enough to always find a good solution with their limited toolsets during trigger events".
Irony can happen and shards are intended to reach for hosts who are likely to engage in conflict, but Worm isn't exactly a setting where everyone is in purgatory. The entire point of the setting is that there's nothing special about the human mind, will saves don't exist and humanity only won through luck.

I assume that Wildbow changed directions at some point during the writing of the story.
I did a similar thing when I made up a magic setting. It started with "magic gives no fuck about humans, any animal or tree could potentially be magical and there's strict rules that I'll follow in establishing how magic is used", which then I gave up on because it's a fuckload of effort.
Working with concepts like irony is much easier.
>>
Anyone here read Pact and Twig? What were your thoughts on it?

I personally (along with a lot of people) thought Pact was his weakest work, but I still loved it. IMO the lows were lower than in Worm, but the highs were higher.
Twig is amazing and really shows how much he has improved as writer. I can say it's better written on a technical standpoint that Worm, but I'd hesistate to say I prefer it. Like, some parts of Worm were pretty awful, but it holds a special place in my heart.
>>
>>52496408
I guess irony in powers is just a side goal of the shards when creating powers for their host, like after they've finished making a power they look if there is any way to make it ironic and cause psychological damage for more potential conflict but if it isn't all that possible (mostly in second gen. parahumans) then that's fine too.

Definitely something to keep in mind when actually creating characters.
When actualizing trigger events I often see people try to go too hard for making it ironic, it's usually not that big of a deal as the end result still can be passable but it still usually feels just a bit too convulated because of forced irony.

I yearn for more simple but still interesting powers where the "OH AND IT MAKES THE PERSON ALWAYS REMEMBER THE WORST DAY OF THEIR LIVES BECAUSE IT FITS CONCEPTUALLY" is toned down.
>>
>>52496370
Alexandria is also an alright Thinker, and a consequence offloading her mental faculties to her power lets her ignore a good portion of Master powers.

And you could consider her Brute power to have a twist to it, she's damn fast and strong, but the durability is the most impressive part, she's in stasis, unable to change, and thus almost impossible to hurt. The problem is once something does hurt her not even Eidolon can fix her back up. Someone like Aegis could take hits from inter-dimensional weirdness like the Siberian or Flechette, cope with having significant chunks of their body cease to exist, and get put back together without a hitch.

She's actually kind of brittle in her own way. But between this not being common knowledge, her absurd strength even with these caveats, and being a Thinker with a long list of subordinates and allies it's a difficult weakness to try and exploit.
>>
>>52474001
Well he has been editing it while writing Twig so I guess an editited re-release will happen at some point
>>
>>52496080
It's not a comic or a cartoon. It also doesn't have anything to do with food. Therefore it isn't /cock/ material.
>>
>>52496490
I stopped reading Pact once Blake became a boogeyman and lost his powers and Rose got out of the mirror, because of all that shit basically invalidated all of the stuff that I actually liked about the story while shifting the focus to things I don't like. It's kind of like the Leviathan attack in that respect, but I actually stuck with Worm when that happened instead of dropping it.
>>
>>52497253
Alexandria's powers don't have many drawbacks because she's a Cauldron cape that got one of the most expensive formulas.

What if I want to play a Cauldron cape in Weaver Dice? Is that not an option?
>>
>>52487057
It's a badly written and constructed descriptive sentence.
Like this is the exact type of thing I would write back in college.
>>
>>52498449
>It's a badly written and constructed descriptive sentence.
How?
>>
>>52497678
How long until Twig is over?
>>
>>52498226
It should be. Think about it, you're about to complete a really high stakes operation, hero or villain, and all of a sudden a wrench is thrown in by a Cauldron message saying so-so has to happen and it happens to be somewhat against the point of the operation.
>>
>>52498977
It would definitely be cool, but I don't think it would work too well with the premise of Weaver Dice, where everybody is all up in everybody else's character creation. For the best effect nobody but the GM and the player in question should know that the character is a Cauldron cape, and the Cauldron orders should be passed through notes or whatever.
>>
File: The Siberian.jpg (24KB, 564x343px) Image search: [Google]
The Siberian.jpg
24KB, 564x343px
>>52499076
>For the best effect nobody but the GM and the player in question should know that the character is a Cauldron cape, and the Cauldron orders should be passed through notes or whatever.

That could be pretty neat, a whodunit that just suddenly becomes clear
>players only later on find out that one of them is with Cauldron, but not who
>everyone is paranoid, everything gets seen as suspicious
>retroactively look at past failed missions to see if there maybe is a common thread, maybe the Cauldron cape got orders to sabotage their efforts
>if the group is up for serious roleplaying, everyone gets forced to retell their trigger event as all others pick holes into it to find inconsistencies

How many favors does Cauldron usually take as payment?
Battery had 3, this seems kind of low but the fact that she wasn't really poor and not even that desperate for powers could have been a factor. Maybe the more desperate people who are guaranteed to do dirtier things have to take more favors.
Sucks that it kind of forces the player to be a specific kind of character to really make the hunt for the Cauldron asset solvable (more favors=more chances the other players can actually work out who it is) although that isn't something entirely new for Weaver Dice anyway.

Then again the Cauldron player only ever having to do one favor which is really easy to hide but the rest of the players still getting all paranoid and blaming everyone else once news arrives could be entirely fun on its own.
>>
>>52500162
I think that three would be a standard number for a game. Makes it more interesting and it's the safest number. If you took more favors you would be getting the more powerful and yet unstable formulas. That's what they said, right?

And that picture looks nothing like the Siberian, anon.
>>
File: The Siberian 2.png (278KB, 564x343px) Image search: [Google]
The Siberian 2.png
278KB, 564x343px
>>52500708
How about this then
>>
>>52500883
Still no.
>>
>>52496639
It's not a goal of the shards, it's supposed to be some thematic shit thrown in by Wildbow.
>>
>>52503007
Really? I always believed that shards did it because it would eventually lead to more conflict as using the power stresses the person out.

>>52494470
>>52494546
As far as I know the Weaver Dice IRC is still going strong, what do those guys do when it comes to basic mechanics that haven't been written yet? Just wing it?

Also I thought about getting a game there, is it really all filled with Wildbow dicksucking?
>>
>>52503269
Nah. Taylor triggers from a panic attack by being shoved in a locker full of filth. The story says that her powers get stronger when she feels trapped, and that she actually even thrives in those fucked situations. She doesn't get stressed. And no connection in story is ever made to her specific power and how she was treated. Instead WoG came around and said that it was a thematic choice made to fit how she was being bullied in general, being stepped on and walked all over and treated as disgusting and pathetic.
>>
>>52480610
Welp, no need to read the story now. I think you covered most of the important bits.
>>
>>52503563
>Welp, no need to read the story now. I think you covered most of the important bits.
That's actually just the very last arc
The story is fuckhuge, much more than that happened.

>>52503269
>Also I thought about getting a game there, is it really all filled with Wildbow dicksucking?
It's mostly alright, why would it even matter though if you would just be playing with some GM you meet there anyway.
>>
>>52503487
Yeah, that's the major reason for it, though when Wildbow went over his process for creating powers he did add that he always went for something that would get a wry grin if looked at from the outside. Like how Lisa got super intuition only after her brother killed himself without leaving a note, or how the feral child Rachel is now unable to understand human body language.

That's the major reason I like the idea of a Worm RPG so much; creating NPCs for it is much more fun than just saying 'this is some dude from the Midwest who has super speed'. He may be a dude from the Midwest and he may have super speed, but his power is also uniquely his, has been moulded to perfectly fit his life, memories, personality and his trigger event.

Danny, for instance, could have become the Rat Master if his shard hadn't atrophied off and gone to Taylor instead.
>>
>>52500883
The Siberian looks like a normal human, except for having zebra striped skin. Makes you wonder why she always appears naked, though. Manton was definitely fixated on his daughter.
>>
>>52498449
To be fair, Wildbow's writing steadily improves over the course of the story and it starts out at a fairly good level for being his first major work. It's not quite up to publishing standard, I think, but it's at the higher end of the amateur work curve. The first time I read through it all I did it while commuting to work.
>>
>>52503753
>Danny, for instance, could have become the Rat Master if his shard hadn't atrophied off and gone to Taylor instead.
Really? It this another WoG thing?
>>
File: Danny.png (118KB, 1572x663px) Image search: [Google]
Danny.png
118KB, 1572x663px
>>52503964
Yep, though he could've gotten other powers too, depending on specific circumstances.
>>
>>52504178
Who is Chitter? Danny's cape name?
>>
>>52504308
Nah, that was a Echidna clone of Taylor that could control rats. Only reason we know her cape name is because of the tags at the bottom of the chapter.
>>
>>52504354
Ah, okay.
>>
>>52466981
>waaaah! No one's allowed to have fun unless I SAY SO
People like you are the reason /tg/ is dying

Literally no other board does this bitching about stuff being off topic
>>
>>52504489
/co/ gets pretty mad at /tv/ threads.
>>
>>52488382
There are a few big problems you'd need to address to run Worm in M&M.

First, hardly anyone's PL capped. Plenty of people have ridiculous powers without any parahuman defenses at all, in fact, which is going to play hell with M&M's math.

Second, every power in M&M is save based but Worm has plenty of powers that just work. Trickster, Scrub, and Clockblocker for example would all be hard to write up as balanced characters.

Finally, Worm powers have kooky drawbacks that no one playing vanilla M&M would ever take.

You'd need to do some kind of group character building (maybe not to the extreme that Weaverdice takes it, though), or you'd need to completely overhaul the PL system.

Maybe a system where instead of one single PL score you get your points split up by category into Master, Thinker, Brute, etc... and then get to build whatever powers you want. It would need even more GM oversight than regular M&M, but I guess it's an idea.
>>
>>52505194
It couldn't be that hard to figure out.
>>
>>52505194
I tried building a system like that after I first finished Worm, but it just doesn't work. The classification system isn't a measure of power as much a measure of threat. It's a guide for the PRT for how much ordinance to bring to a given fight, up to and including nuking the city, just to be sure. You also tend to get powers than overlap multiple different classes.

Like Taylor's power is very clearly a Master/Thinker, with Shaker/Blaster and Stranger-like effects. Once she gets Atlas she's technically a Mover, and she even creates things so she'd be classed as a Tinker. Her power is controlling bugs. Do you see how difficult it would be to base a system around that?

I'm not a fan of Weaverdice either, but that system just fails from the start.
>>
>>52505369
If you were going to stat Taylor in M&M, though, you'd already need to use a variety of effects for the different uses she finds for her powers. It's not like you can just buy Bug Control at 10 ranks anyway.

The tactile feedback she uses to scout would be one power, the ability to move lightweight objects would be another, straight up biting people with stinging insects would be a third, and so on. So if you're building a very flexible power like Taylor's with categorized points, it makes sense that she has a few points all over (Compared to someone like Dawn, who has a small Mover power and then all her points in blowing shit up.)

Even if you don't use exactly the same classification system, the important thing is being able to separate each effect in M&M into a relatively small number of categories (which is already non-trivial for some broader effects like affliction or transform. Extras, flaws and descriptors might all have some input into exactly how an effect is categorized).

You're still buying multiple effects to represent one overall power, but instead of being constrained by PL you're constrained by how you decided to prioritize your points among the different categories.
>>
I don't know a lot about the mechanical side of M&M, but I'm interested in it. Can anybody sum it up for me?
>>
>>52481110
Literally Diver Down, but weaker
>>
>>52484556
Fuck off Nazimod, give me back the good old days of /wst/ and applied dungeon economics
>>
>>52506662
Originality is overrated. You can point out similarities or even straight ripoffs for just about any kind of power in any work of fiction.
>>
>>52506662
Yes. I thought of it somewhat in that vain and switched it a bit. Can't mess with the inside directly, but that doesn't stop me making you OD by leaving a shit ton of drugs inside you. Or grabbing the guy next to you and fusing his head to yours.
>>
>>52506191
Sure. At least for character creation.

M&M is a point buy system with a relatively small number of generic effects (Damage, Protection, Create, etc..) and a relatively large list of extras and flaws that can be used to modify them. The strength of an effect is measured by its rank, which is what you usually add to your roll or use to determine an effect's save DC.

When you build a character you have a pool of power points to spend on effects and modifiers (extras increase cost, flaws give a discount), plus a power level (PL) that limits the maximum strength of any effect (plus your various defenses).

And that's basically it. Usually you decide what kind of power you want, figure out how to build it with the effects and modifiers available, determine what rank you want it at (usually PL capped if it's your main offensive power), and then spend your remaining points on capping your defenses and picking up secondary powers, skills, feats/advantages, and other stuff.

You really can build almost anything but the system does stumble a bit with powers that are hard to measure quantitatively (freezing something in time, for example). The flexibility of some of the effects has also made it a notoriously easy system to break, since turning people into frogs or teleporting them into the sun is often a better alternative than just hitting them (and also the math is just suspect in a few cases, so some powers can be built way more efficiently than others)
>>
I would rate Worm a 7/10. It's okay for what it tries to do, though the beginning is painfully YA, and the Weaver arc was a slog.

Still I find it strangely humorous how Taylor beat scion by bullying him until he kys.
It's not an amazing story, but it's definitely better than many other published pieces of YA trash I've read, like fucking Graceling

That said, it's mediocrity has the benefit of making it prime fanfic fodder, much like ZnT does
>>
>>52506834
Ah, okay.
>>
I can't be the only one thinking that Wig would work better from an RPG standpoint than worm, right? Weaverdice feels very on the rails and dependent on a good narrative.
>>
>>52507192
*Twig

Fuck
>>
>>52507192
What would you even play in Twig?
>>
>>52507403
Experiments, Doctors, other such things.
>>
>>52507491
Sounds lame desu
>>
I liked the first 1/3 - 1/2 of Worm before it went downhill into the weird space bullshit metaphysical shark jumping.

Worm is great because it feels like the real world with superpowers. When it leaves a grounded and real world setting and goes into kaijus and illuminati territory, it loses the magic. Street level Worm is the best part of the story. The Detroit-like town setting was atmospheric. The characters felt like they mattered.

Are there are any recs for good Worm fanfics that stay street level? Bonus if it's not another altpower Taylor who ticks all the stations of canon.
>>
>>52508382
There's Tabloid, which is a purely character driven story about a PRT employee/rogue cape.

That's really the only decent one I can recommend you.
>>
>>52508382
Cutting Ties. It keeps pretty damn low to the ground, in retrospect. Taylor is hobo with Jack's power, and makes friends.
>>
>>52508430
Is that the one with the pictures?
I think I remember reading the first couple of chapters last year and putting it aside until there was more material.

Worm is fanfic fodder.... Out of all the hundreds of Worm fanfics made, there's only one or two decent ones?

That ratio is really depressing. It's Twilight tier.
>>
>>52508539
It really depends on what tickles your fancy. There's probably a fic for everyone at this point.
>>
>>52508555
That includes incest porn.
>>
>>52508589
Speaking of the incest porn fics, am I the only one who thinks Adventures in the Mirrorverse would make a good setting for a Worm game? Cut out all the incest and random sex bits and you've got an interesting setting, in my opinion.
>>
>>52508430
>>52508522

I just did some googling and found that Tabloid and Cutting Ties are both finished stories. That''s like a miracle by fanfic standards. And Omnibuser now has epub support. Happy days.

I found this review site while looking for the fics. It has a section for Worm stories: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/forumdisplay.php?f=146

The reviews look trustworthy. More recs!
>>
>>52480921
That's clearly not horror.
>>
>>52508382
Burn Up is a fic that probably hits what you want. It's very surreal though so be warned.
>>
Worm has its own spot on reddit's r/place c....what the hell, I though this was supposed to be an 'obscure' bit of literature.
>>
>>52508965
The S9 aren't horror? One of them is literally a slasher, one is a giant cannibal who can rip you apart, one is body horror, and the other uses her power to make people into body horror. And then there's the literal monster they have on their team.
>>
>>52509043
What doesn't have a thing on reddit?
>>
File: 9000 hours in ms paint.png.jpg (51KB, 807x537px) Image search: [Google]
9000 hours in ms paint.png.jpg
51KB, 807x537px
>>52460352
>>
>>52509198
Is that supposed to be a frog?
>>
>>52508981
I have read that before.

It had creative writing and didn't go with the stations, but there were things about it that bugged me. Stuff seemed to happen for the sake of happening, like Tattletale being nice and adopting her, and the fight with Lung, who just happened to be there (??) and Alexandria. I get that the plot isn't so important as Taylor's character changing over time, but the small background things didn't make sense to me. And Taylor's character was nothing like Worm Taylor, but that was the point of the story, I guess.

I wish I liked it as much as everyone else seems to. It was disjointed, surreal. Very artistic. But I just didn't think it made a satisfying story.
>>
>>52509262
Are you functionally retarded?

>>52509043
>>52509067
>Reddit
Oh hey, how about you go back?
>>
>>52509050
Then there's Hachet, who was pretty much a slasher flick killer. Or Mannequin. Or Breed. Or Bonesaw.. A lot of the S9 could apply for a spot in a horror movie, like Chuckles could just be theclown that only you see.
>>
>>52509381
How can I go back if I'm not from there?

You seem to be irrationally angry and lashing out. Is it because you suck at drawing frogs?
>>
>>52509459
>implying everyone who dislikes offsiders is the same person
>>
>>52509419
I forgot about Breed. Shit was gross.
>>
>>52509473
There's nothing to be ashamed of. Not everybody can draw frogs.
>>
>>52509419
Actually a Worm horror game doesn't sound bad. Just run of the mill PRT troops or Gangsters are sent to handle a parahuman. Half of the powers in Worm are scary to even think about being real, plus the side of unknowing the extent of the power is a bonus.
>>52509581
Despite the latter half of the story being bad, I really liked that we at least got to see all the past members of S9.
>>
>>52509591
You literally posted a response that implies that you do not know the significance of the frog.
So fuck off, newfag.
>>
I'd be interested in SEA capes
>>
>>52509612
It's okay man. I understand that you at least tried to get the gesture of the frog.
>>
>>52509649
>SEA capes
?
>>
>>52509612
I actually only asked if it was a frog because that was the only thing I could think of that made sense. But it was so shitty I had to ask to be sure.
>>
>>52487909

M&M combat's main problem is that, because of how the damage works, if everyone has high defenses it can just stall out until someone rolls a 1 or a 20. That being said, it is a really fun system, and it's certainly worth trying out if you're looking to run a game in the Worm universe.
>>
>>>/co/
>>
>>52509943
What does a story have to do with /co/?
At least redirect to >>>/lit/ (no matter how much they'll laugh at a webnovel)
>>
>>52509943

>when it's not even a comic book
>>
File: slaughterhouse_family.jpg (378KB, 651x1300px) Image search: [Google]
slaughterhouse_family.jpg
378KB, 651x1300px
>>52508430
Tabloid is pretty damn good.

It follows canon, which sounds boring at first, but does it in a way where nothing overlaps with stuff you've already read in Worm. It's different. I like it.

The art and writing are top notch too.
>>
>Girl can control bugs
>Girl can control the entire human race and mind rape a godlike alien

That's some absurd powerjump
>>
>>52510049
Before the entities released the shards to cause natural triggers they severely crippled all the powers so that humanity could never actually pose a threat to them should the jig ever be up.

This is also why Cauldron capes have the ludicrously strong powers, because the formulas they make are with uncrippled shards.
>>
File: 8a8.jpg (9KB, 425x396px) Image search: [Google]
8a8.jpg
9KB, 425x396px
>>52509943
>can't even redirect to the right board
>>
>>52509984
Tabloid is genuinely well-written, which is a surprising thing for a fanfic. It helps that the author knew what story he wanted to tell and how to write his characters. For example, he said that if he were to ever include the Undersiders then his audience wouldn't like that story, because if everybody was written in character then his protagonist would absolutely despise the Undersiders for various reasons.
>>
>>52510049
It's repeatedly implied throughout the entire story with how
1. shards affect brains (Bitch's entire character is a highlight of this)
2. Taylor simply doesn't think like a human sometimes (She is CONSTANTLY analyzing the powers of others and how should would apply them in superior [unintuitive] ways)
that her power is something far, far greater, and only limited to small brained creatures for some reason. (that very reason being revealed clearly later)
>>
>>52509665
>>52509649
Wouldn't that just be Duterte the warlord?
>>
>>52510422
Who?
>>
>>52510150
Agreed.

When I finished the last chapter of Tabloid, I had to stop and appreciate the amount of planning that went into the story. Plot event cause and effect were all well thought out. The way it linked to the canon timeline made perfect sense. It made me appreciate Worm that much more. Even the writing is so carefully done that it dripfeeds bits of the story and slowly reveals the full details later.

Now it's harder for me to read new fics, especially the ones where you can tell that the author doesn't know what they're doing or where they're going. I used to be able to read fics that had shitty writing because I liked the premise, but now I can't. Fuckkkkkkk.
>>
>>52510373

What I dislike about taylor getting that power jump is because it goes against Contessa having path to victory, panacea was one of the few healers in the world, she was famous as fuck, Coil was working for them, and its impossible that cauldron would not know about her.

Cauldron has been searching for a way to create powers without any limitations for years, do they really expect me to believe contessa never once tried to use path to victory to discover if the ultimate healer with unlimited control over biology could also affect powers and even remove limits? Cauldron can find multiple worlds, instantly kill the S9 if they want, and control earth bet from the shadows, but they are incompetent enough to never even try using panacea despite all the precogs they have?

Panacea removing the limitations of Contessa path to victory would make much more sense, even if panacea refused to cooperate cauldron would just kidnap her, brainwash her and make her run tests on kidnapped capes until panacea learned how to jail brake shards without side effects.

It feels way weird that cauldron, with all of the resources they had, and path to victory, never found a way to fully jail break shards, while Taylor comes along and discover that method willy nilly.

Ah well, I guess I just dislike that last arc in general, Taylor of all people getting the power that could work against Scion reeks of mary sue/fan wanking, and Scion actually allowing himself to be killed when he still had unlimited uses of path to victory and instant killing 1 sec thunder clap is the last nail in the coffin.

I actually began disliking worm as soon the whole weaver thing began, all Dinah did was write a message and Taylor went running wagging her tail to turn herself in, leaving all her friends behind when they needed her the most.

There is no justification for how retarded everyone acted in the beginning of weaver arc.
>>
>>52510763
>Scion actually allowing himself to be killed when he still had unlimited uses of path to victory and instant killing 1 sec thunder clap is the last nail in the coffin.
Scion died from depression. The entire last arc was teaching the sociopathic alien beast human feelings, then using them to bully it.
>>
>>52510763
Yeah, the whole tail end of they story is a huge mess. Worm is in need of some drastic editing.
>>
Panacea is a retarded character in general.

There were so, so, so many things she could have done with her power, but all she does is sit in a hospital and feel bad about not caring about the people she's helping.

She could have made some helper microbes. She could have fixed Piggot's kidney thing. She could have gone to a monastery, or studied medicine with personal tutors... but she asked to be permanently sent to the Birdcage.

Many Worm characters are people whose story arcs follow a bunch of dumb decisions or a lack of foresight. It's stupid... but their characters were written to be stupid people being manipulated by alien parasites.
>>
>>52511012
Maybe not everyone on the planet is a perfectly altruistic and logical individual?
One of Panacea's major character traits is how she doesn't do everything she could, but her guilt over the fact does not spur her into action.
>>
>>52511012
Panacea makes sense, even if you think her decisions are stupid (which I do too). She grew up unwanted in a fucked up family, being in love with the only family member she had that actually cared about her. So she got the black and white morality from dear old adoptive mom, and winds up being terrified of finding herself on the black side of it. So she sets all these rules for her power and doesn't do as much as she could with it because she's afraid of herself and thinks she's a messed up degenerate who could go bad at any moment if she starts to slip.

So when she finally does slip and winds up turning her sister into an unholy flesh monster, she gets herself sent to the Birdcage because her worst nightmares came true. She ran wild with her power and let her degenerate side out, and Victoria paid the price. Since she obviously didn't have as much of a handle on shit as she thought, Birdcage.

also
>implying piggot would accept help from a dirty para "human"
>>
File: grue meme.jpg (89KB, 680x798px) Image search: [Google]
grue meme.jpg
89KB, 680x798px
>>52511110
I know.
They were written to be flawed people making stupid decisions. If they were 100% competent, as lots of people who rag on Worm complain about, they wouldn't be the same characters, and Worm wouldn't be the same story.

"She should have done that" or "He should have told her this" are all complaints a certain group of people make about Worm's plot. If they don't want to read about broken people who act retarded, they should go back to HPMOR or something.
>>52511162
Her actions match her personality and backstory. Her decisions are all in character.

It doesn't mean I enjoy reading them, just like I don't enjoy watching a slow motion car crash. Obviously, a big theme of Worm is making questionable choices, and the story would be cheapened if this part of it was taken away. But it's still painful as a reader when you have the metaknowledge.

>dirty parahumans

Heh.
>>
>>52511227
Yeah, I'm right there with you. It sucks what happened to Panacea and Glory Girl. Hopefully they'll get some form of happy ending in the sequel. It was implied that they reunited with Carol at the end and that Amy would fix Victoria.
>>
>>52510657
The Pinoy who's currently sending out kill squads against drug dealers and publicly boasted about having used his bike to drive around town and shoot drug dealers in his youth.

As an aside, what would superpowered Liberia be like?
Their superstitions would lead to some very interesting triggers.
"I need to eat albino hearts to power up"-type triggers.
>>
>>52511339
>what would superpowered Liberia be like?
Worse, I'm assuming.
>>
>>52511274
No one gets happy endings in Worm. It's always bittersweet, where they have to sacrifice something big to get a moment of peace before another big thing happens. Panacea gets GG back, but GG is canonically straight, even though Gallant is dead.

That ending implied a lot of things.
Especially about Glaistig Ulaine.

Shame that most fanwriters focus on Winslow Taylor instead of speculating on what post-GM might be like.
>>52511339
Isn't Africa full of parahuman warlords? And the chaos means a higher cape to normie ratio compared to the civilized world. I remember reading a WoG or something from the college lecture Wards interlude about girls triggering more frequently than boys.
>>
>>52511384
Well, happy by Worm's standards at any rate. And hey, GG might be canonically straight, but Panacea never actually set her brain back to normal, did she? Either way I'm sure just having the chance to fix her sister and be together with her mom without said mom totally hating her guts would qualify as happy.
>>
>>52460352
Real talk though
-Australia
>Revoke citizenship and deport to a camp in the local 3rd world shit hole so they aren't our problem
-USA
>Revoke citizenship and deport them to Mexico, and build a wall
-Canada
>Proclaim to be a haven for them and subsequently have normal humans wiped out while their leader cries out "If you kill us we'll have won!"
-Germany
>Proclaim to be a haven for them and subsequently have their economy mysteriously eroded from the bottom up
-France/Slav nations (not Russia)
>REMOVE MUTANT to Horst Wessel Lied
-Islamic nations
>Cut all their throats whilst video taping it all the while praising their god
-African nations
>Overrun with Mutant warlord factions
-China
>Proclaim "What mutants? What are you talking about you stupid fucking westerner?" while they go door to door, shooting anyone they suspect of being one.
-Russia
>Re-purpose former Gulags into brainwashing and training camps, train them for about 10 years and then use them inorder to establish themselves as THE super power
>>
>>52511446
Since Scion and Eden are dead, it means new Shards don't trigger with the safety restrictions, right? The restrictions on existing Shards are still there, and so is the conflict drive mind meddling where the Shards who aren't in tune with their hosts fuck them up if they don't go out and start shit.

Make me wonder if Panacea might decide not to fix GG's brain after making her pretty again. She got some character development during the two year time skip, but after the Khepri thing she'd be hesitant about working with brains again.

I can't see a happy ending for her future, no matter how hard I try. She's pretty messed up.
>>
>>52510763
>he still had unlimited uses of path to victory and instant killing 1 sec thunder clap
I'm pretty sure he didn't have unlimited uses of either, he was slowly decaying as he was running out of juice and tried to conserve his most overpowered abilities only using them when he was getting cornered.

>>52511520
As if Russia would be the only ones trying to turn them into weapons, USA would definitely do that too albeit they'd probably try to hide the fact and do it in Gitmo.
>>
>>52506999
>7/10
>mediocre
do you not understand what mediocre means?
>>
>>52511531
I'm sure it'll be fine.
>>
How do we get wormfags to leave? These are some of the worst sort of fans I've seen since bronies.
>>
File: Simurgh.jpg (395KB, 850x1081px) Image search: [Google]
Simurgh.jpg
395KB, 850x1081px
>>52512024
I have no doubt that most first world countries will capture a few to do experiments on them, whatever they claim their public opinion on supers is.

Though all of this probably wouldn't be possible in the Wormverse because the illuminati actively works to normalize superheroes and villains and prevent an X-Men situation from happening.

>>52512081
How so?
Are you mad about the single thread that pops up every few weeks?
>>
>>52511384
How can I learn enough about Africe to start using it as a setting for games? My only knowledge comes from popular culture that doesn't seem very accurate.

I've wanted to do something like that for GURPS with the players being tacticool operators (essentially just Far Cry 2 as an RPG) but the idea of superhuman african warlords also speaks to me.
>>
>>52512102
>Are you mad about the single thread that pops up every few weeks?
Nigger, Wormfags are in this weird spot where they unironically enjoy a bible-long webnovel, hype it to heaven and even claim that it's better than published works, even though it's clearly an overbloated first draft of something that might become a decent story.

The fact that threads get started in a fashion that is basically "here, let's talk about this no-name thing but I'll pretend that everyone knows it and doesn't need any additional details in the OP", even though it's a niche story at best.
>>
>>52512213
>My only knowledge comes from popular culture that doesn't seem very accurate.
Who cares about actual accuracy?

Just steal more from Far Cry 2 if you already got inspired by it anyway, it did a well enough job at generalizing without being specific.
The African country it plays in never gets named, every single one of the factions and people are fictional and still it manages to feel authentic.

Basically just a couple of groups fighting for vague ideological reasons (democracy, communism, ensuring their leader is the warlord in control, etc.) while all doing scummy stuff like slave diamond mines or drug manufactoring in the background, considering a sacrifice for their noble goal.
Players are mercenaries that get hired for delicate missions, make sure everyone is unlikable enough that the players don't get the idea of taking sides.
Superpowers or not, this is a solid framework that can be applied to most cases.

>>52512382
>hype it to heaven and even claim that it's better than published works, even though it's clearly an overbloated first draft of something that might become a decent story.
Did you even read the thread?
The vast majority here, including the fans, have been calling the story flawed and anything but perfect, I can barely find more than 2 examples of people not doing so.

>"here, let's talk about this no-name thing but I'll pretend that everyone knows it and doesn't need any additional details in the OP", even though it's a niche story at best.
Worm is niche, but not that niche.
It is one of the more popular web serials and I have seen people mention it plenty of times especially around /tg/ (it's how I even discovered it).

If you mean the ones from reddit and spacebattles when talking about autistic fans than I agree, but this thread doesn't seem to have anything of that.
>>
>>52512213
Re-read the sections in Worm about African capes, the Thanda, etc. Then collect all the WoG about capes outside the USA/Canada.

Choose between urban or rural setting. If you're doing tacticool, it's probably urban. Watch movies set in third world countries, like Jerusalema or City of God. If it's in pop culture, there must be something accurate about it.

The point is to create a fun game that your fellow players want to participate in. It doesn't have to be perfectly accurate. Just research whatever details will be relevant to the kind of story you're setting up.
>>
>>52460512
Worm is a high flaying young adventure serial novel about the story of Taylor Herbert, a magical girl with the power of insects. Taylor is an introvert who then group with a teenage association of other heroes called the Othersiders, with which she battles evils and the minions of the Endbringers.

It's a romance heavy novel, with emphasis on delivering interesting combats. It's not so bad, though the setting can be a little empty at time. You should check it out.
>>
>>52512081
Just keep reporting these threads. Also, any posts which are also offtopic, so 97% of this thread.
>>
>>52512603
I'd also recommend the comic Unknown Soldier from 2008, you can probably find all of it online through google.

The protagonist is the only one who has superpowers and even then they are somewhat subtle (they basically just give him master level skills at combat), but it actually follows the real conflict of Joseph Kony in Uganda 2002 and explains in detail why what happened or why the various factions exist.

Pretty great for inspiration, never hurts to know how things actually were to make your own setting more authentic.
>>
>>52512685
I doubt it's even possible to report 247 posts in quick succession without at some point being recognized as spam by the system.
>>
>>52512760
He'll find a way, never underestimate the power of an autistic person with an obsession.
>>
>>52512541
>Did you even read the thread?
>The vast majority here, including the fans, have been calling the story flawed and anything but perfect, I can barely find more than 2 examples of people not doing so
The anon your responding to doesn't actually read the threads. He just shitposts without looking into the thing he shitposts, because doing do would violate the delicate world owe he has constructed to justify his shitposting, because a Wormfag raped his cat or something
>>
>>52512760
It happened to /wst/
>>
>>52512541
>It is one of the more popular web serials and I have seen people mention it plenty of times especially around /tg/ (it's how I even discovered it).
There's literally one website that happens to have also invaded /tg/ that loves Worm.
>>
>>52512822
I actually contributed a significant portion of posts to this thread.
I simply chime in when people post against Worm and get shut down by the Wormfags. Because Worm actually is shit, even if I can discuss the metaphysics of it.

Worm is simply off-topic for /tg/. Weaver Dice is not an excuse, it's barely a system.
>>
>>52512839
Except reddit loves to delete and bitch about tangentially related threads and act like their the arbiters of board quality and try to allahu akbar badwrong threads like their Nazimod's private army

There was time when /tg/ would talk about anything presented in a semi-serious manner, and would have a good time. Now though, everything is verboten, and the old adage of "You don't even need the other boards" barely even applies anymore.

/tg/ is kill, the board police shot it

>>52512856
Has almost never happened here, it's almost always "man, wish this was better, but it's not terrible"
Fuck off redditor
>>
>>52512856
>I simply chime in when people post against Worm and get shut down by the Wormfags
What fucking Wormfags? Point them out to me.
>>
>>52515592
Like fags who necro dead threads like you?
>>
>>52515814
>complaining about thread necro on 4chan
Anon are you new?
>>
>>52515848
Generally, you can tell a thread is shit if it takes more than 3 days here to reach bump limit, and it's mostly two or three guys who keep necroing it.

But, another good tell that a thread is shit is if it's offtopic chatter made by guys with atrociously bad taste.

Oh. Look at that.
>>
>>52515959
Before this thread reaches bump limit, care to tell some more of your superior opinions so I can know what else I can and can't enjoy in the future?
Sure would be emberassing to talk about something on /tg/ only to find out you don't allow it.
>>
>>52515814
No I want you to point out the Wormfags. Deflecting because my post happened on page 10 doesn't count.

Show me all the Wormfags.
>>
Lets discuss the setting instead of getting meta and faggoty, yeah?

For example let's talk about how objectively horrific the Undersiders are, insofar as their powers.

>Skitter has massive hordes of bugs
>Tattletale can find each neurosis and mental weakpoint and poke them incessantly
>Fucking Regent
>Fucking Rachel's Doggos
>Grue's fucking darkness
>>
File: Alexandria worm.jpg (79KB, 1365x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Alexandria worm.jpg
79KB, 1365x2048px
>>52516559
The thread is about to reach bump limit anyway.
I do wonder though why only now Worm threads are getting shitposted by dedicated autists, the ones in the past usually were free from that.
>>
>>52516559
>tattletale says her power doesn't work so great on people
>as the story goes on she pretty much only uses it on people
>and when she uses it for concrete information like she said it was best at she gets overloaded
>even more than she did when she used it to mindfuck panacea

hmmmmm
>>
>>52516601
It's pretty damn retarded. If you don't like something, ignore it. Worm has an RPG system in the works, as well as a fantastic setting, so it's /tg/ enough in my eyes.
>>
>>52516601
It's most likely one newfag who started it and some other newfags going with the mob mentality. I can't imagine somebody being on here for years and seeing all the Worm threads come and go without saying anything and then all of a sudden deciding to unleash his autism.

Fuck some of the posts they make imply they haven't even read it. Then there's the stupid boogeyman mentality they've got going, as if 4chan needs help being shit.
>>
File: 1454382400188.jpg (43KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1454382400188.jpg
43KB, 612x612px
>>52515959
YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT THINKS I DONT LIKE REEEE.
Quit being a faggot
>>
>>52516601
I have seen plenty of Naruto threads on /tg/ and they seem to get even less shitposting for some odd reason.
>>
>>52513099
>There was time when /tg/ would talk about anything presented in a semi-serious manner, and would have a good time. Now though, everything is verboten, and the old adage of "You don't even need the other boards" barely even applies anymore.
Back then we also self-moderated, shat up off-topic threads without needing the mods to do anything and insulted anyone who used emoticons.

The entire point of "/tg/ talks about everything" was that the "everything" was bait threads that we derailed.

Nowadays you still have the same fucking stale bait, except no one is putting a fun twist on the anymore because all the interesting people have left. Thank the mod, thank the SB-shitters.

>>52513099
>>52515592
> "man, wish this was better, but it's not terrible"
This very thread has, among others, a guy claiming that everyone should read Worm, people defending the existence of Worm threads on /tg/ and the fucknugget who claims that Worm isn't edgy as fuck.
>>
>>52516464
Nigger, not everyone who disagrees with you is the same person.

>>52516601
>dedicated autists
I literally randomly stumbled upon the thread after a year of not being on /tg/ because the board has gone to shit.
>>
File: The Story of Anon.jpg (60KB, 346x440px) Image search: [Google]
The Story of Anon.jpg
60KB, 346x440px
>>52517180
>>52517216
>>
>>52516690
>Worm has an RPG system in the works
I don't see anything about the RPG system, outside of tangential talk about trigger events, in this thread.

How about you wait until there's a system?

>a fantastic setting
It's barely even a fucking setting. It has a power concept and some space worm shit, but the world itself is pretty fucking shallow. The high-level stuff doesn't work for a campaign, so you are stuck to street level, where there's basically no difference to just using any generic setting. The shard powers have a flavor, but, as this thread has discussed, that flavor is diluted even in the story itself. It's easy to replicated with a custom system. The only real world building of Worm is the PRT and the Slaughterhouse 9, (or rather the fact that there's literal murderhobos) possibly the gangs if you want to be charitable. And even then you can mostly build it as "the world has gone to shit thanks to superpowers" and maybe even get a better justification than "there's a conspiracy that turns everything to shit". Everything else is completely generic.
Fucking 40k has a better setting, because it actually provides room for exploration. It provides a functional framework instead of "lol powers like irony and everyone will be dead in 300 years unless the conspiracy kicks off a war with the hidden god being".
>>
>>52517382
Why are you engaging with these spam fags? They're literally just here to advertise their failure of a web series.
>>
>>52517180
>a guy claiming that everyone should read Worm
If they're into superhero stories, he said.

>people defending the existence of Worm threads on /tg/
This doesn't make somebody a Wormfag.

>the fucknugget who claims that Worm isn't edgy as fuck
This doesn't make somebody a Wormfag.

Being a "fag" about anything generally means that you love it unapologetically to obnoxious extremes, respond with absolute rage and vitriol to even the slightest criticism towards it, and you in general suck its dick and wank it.

Just because they have different opinions than you on Worm doesn't make them Wormfags.

If you can't actually point out any specific posts that are actual Wormfags at work, then you should stop.
>>
>>52517450
>failure
>wildly popular online and going to be officially published
?????
>>
>>52517382
>he hasn't read worm
>he hasn't even read the thread
>and yet still he posts
>>
>>52517382
Maybe, but the setting is interesting enough to some. Interesting enough to discuss, too.

If you're not a fan and have no interest in getting into it, why are you here?
>>
>>52517470
>Being a "fag" about anything generally means that you love it unapologetically to obnoxious extremes, respond with absolute rage and vitriol to even the slightest criticism towards it, and you in general suck its dick and wank it.
Don't redefine words.
A fag is someone who has something as part of their identity.
Wormfags accepted Worm as part of their identity. It doesn't matter how much they did, only that they enjoy it.

>If you can't actually point out any specific posts that are actual Wormfags at work, then you should stop.
Why would I put in the effort into a topic that will repeat in exactly the same fucking way in the next thread that you guys make?

>>52517539
Twilight is less of a failure.

>>52517573
>If you're not a fan and have no interest in getting into it, why are you here?
To tell you fucks off and to discuss Worm.

>Maybe, but the setting is interesting enough to some. Interesting enough to discuss, too.
I see nothing wrong with Worm discussion, but it's not /tg/-related.

>>52517567
I read the last arc and a shitload of fanfiction.
>>
>>52517539
You might want to stick your head out of your worm hole, and also stop imagining that just because something gets published it means that its popular.

Also, seriously, get the fuck out of here already with your stupid shit. I don't understand how you idiots can talk about this garbage with a straight face. It reads like a series intentionally written to sound as stupid as possible, and that's the only form of success its had.

Maybe it being so awful resonates with you on some level?
>>
File: 1466912075082.gif (3MB, 400x180px) Image search: [Google]
1466912075082.gif
3MB, 400x180px
>these morons don't realize that if they just left the threads alone they would die so much quicker
>instead they incite replies (and bumps) and goad anons into sparking conversations to move the thread away from shitposting
>this expands the thread's lifespan exponentially and actually causes discussion

kek thanks morons. Could you imagine how dead these threads would be if you weren't here? Anons wouldn't even bother to necro them. I know I wouldn't.
>>
>>52517660
>enjoying something makes it a part of your identity
Literally what?
>>
>>52517715
We both know that you would have bumped it anyway.

Stop being a salty fag, anon.
>>
>>52517660
>I read the last arc and a shitload of fanfiction.
Well no wonder you think it's so bad.

also
>he's stooped to mass replying
>>
>>52517660
>Why would I put in the effort into a topic that will repeat in exactly the same fucking way in the next thread that you guys make?

>Why should I defend my case instead of spewing bullshit?
>>
>>52517771
Only so many times, anon. Eventually I would give up if nothing was going on. I do have better things to do with my time, believe it or not.

And I'm not salty. I really mean it, I'm glad you guys are in here bringing life to the threads.
>>
>>52517715
>>these morons don't realize that if they just left the threads alone they would die so much quicker

Nah. You necro'd this shit for three days. You'd necro it longer, because you got one goal, and we see it, and we're tired of you spamming your offtopic shit here just because it's your current retarded obsession.

By all means, be obsessed with dumb shit, but do it on the appropriate board, and that ain't this one.
>>
>>52517946
If you think it's off topic, why don't you just report it?
>>
File: 1453353767678.jpg (143KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1453353767678.jpg
143KB, 1920x1080px
>>52517994
>4chan mods
>ever being a good thing to invoke
Go back to SB you fucking offsiter.
>>
So, uh, how about that Moord Nag?
>>
>>52518094
>muh boogeyman
Cute. How's your first week going?
>>
File: 1328718366920.jpg (221KB, 600x911px) Image search: [Google]
1328718366920.jpg
221KB, 600x911px
>>52518218
Fuck off.

You weren't here when most of the regulars gave up on the site, thanks to our lovely mod. The board was never the same afterwards.
>>
>>52518291
Drop the act, newfag. You aren't fooling anybody.
>>
File: 1325188851431.png (112KB, 912x288px) Image search: [Google]
1325188851431.png
112KB, 912x288px
>>52518312
Does the truth hurt too much, modlover?
>>
>>52518368
What truth? The boogeyman shit is about space battles, not mods. Everybody knows mods are gay, even newfags like you.
>>
This has been an alright thread overall and I can't wait to repeat all of this in a few weeks, I hope you will be there too anon to keep us company as you shitpost >>52518368
>>
>>52519645
>few weeks
Won't be that long.
>>
>>52520026
It usually takes that long, though it could also be that I have just missed the occasional thread I guess.
Anyway shitpost on, you crazy diamond.
>>
>>52518368
Do you also shit up all the other threads that could be considered off-topic by you like the Overwatch thread that seems to pop up every few weeks too or is Worm a special sore spot?
>>
>>52517946
Necro-ing a thread isn't the same as bringing life to it. Thanks to you arguments and discussions abound in what would otherwise be a dull and desolate landscape of poorly disguised bumps.
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.