[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 304
Thread images: 30

File: 1473909458377.jpg (595KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
1473909458377.jpg
595KB, 1024x682px
Last thread
>>52395527

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Posting on my way out the door on the way to a con, so only time for one question. Anyone got game nights/days planned for this weekend?
>>
How do we unfuck boardgames, mates?
>>
>>52446885
You can't, once they get their cherries popped, something inside them breaks as well.
>>
>>52446885
Erase Kickstarter.
>>
>>52448630
or just stop backing games on kickstarter that are overproduced
>>
>>52448644
This is the main thing, I'm not sure if there's anything anyone can do about it though. Overproduced games deserve to exist (barely), but they don't deserve to absorb the fucking hobby. I can't think of what we could do to prevent them from taking everything over without just banning them altogether, and that's not actually a thing anyone can do, anyway.

In the end it comes down to the people.
These fucking people want to buy this slag. And we can't change that.
So I guess the only solution is to socially ostracize them?
>>
>>52449743
we can if you want every thread derailed. unfortunately you're right. theres no end to it so we should probably start ignoring it but 4chan is not the place to convince people to let things they don't like just slide through
>>
>>52449743

To provide a counter-point...

Much of the appeal of playing a board game as opposed to vidya is the tactile component. There's nothing like the feel of rolling dice, moving chits around, and analyzing a gorgeous board state.

Of course eventually more savvy board gamers realize quality mechanisms are almost as, if not more important, than over-produced components. But until they develop this view point they'll still buy the latest plastic pusher.

My advice? Play whatever you want that makes you and your friends have a good time.
>>
>>52446885
First you should define what 'fucked' means. For me there are more good boardgames than I could play in my life already and, unlike video games (or /tg/ stuff), they only get better and better with each edition or generation. They don't suffer from getting dumbed down (or one could say casualization) either, some specific ones do as they get more popular, but that is clearly not the general case. So where are they fucked exactly? Sure stuff gets overhyped, certain fotm 'memes' like 'legacy' or 'coop' have their annoying peaks, but what does it matter? There will always be good games to play and buy.
>>
>>52449840
this is actually not a bad point. the only issue it could create are people who remain casual forever because they think anything heavier than blood rage is fiddly by default
>>
>>52450024
Honestly you are wrong if you think they are not getting dumbed down and becoming more casual
>>
>>52446860
Tigris & euphrates at 43€ but never tried a heavy game
What would you do guys
>>
>>52450182
if you like the look of the game and thats a good deal to you go for it. its a fun game and it has a lot of rules but it is honestly not hard to play. if someone can sit through ten minutes of you teaching it they'll be able to enjoy it
>>
>>52450093
Maybe you could somehow back your claim? Some examples? I mean even if that is the case, how many complex games can you buy and play every year? How many do you need? Afaik designer amd publisher of heavy and complex games usually have some kind of cult following so it's easy for them to keep doing what they do. Gimmicky plastic pushers have always been there, you're deluded if you think otherewise. Take off the nostalgia goggles, stop caring for memes and enjoy the good games
>>
>>52450287
its not nostalgia goggles its the fact that people think games like blood rage are medium weight. that game is insanely light. the fact that people rate it higher than that means its becoming more casualised of a hobby. inis is rated nearly 3 on weight somehow.
>>
>>52450416
>bgg ratings
Of course this rating goes up the more new people get into the hobby. It's simply not the same audience, like some years ago. Most of my friends don't even know heavier stuff than monopoly or catan exists. It doesn't mean that all games get dumbed down though. Also what is stopping you from playing heavier games or games you like in general? Does your group rely on bgg ratings that much?
>>
>>52450229
Im in love with middle east ancient history

How it is a 2p count?
Would it be playable for casuals?
>>
>>52450287
as far as "even if that is the case" goes, i play twilight imperium minimum of once a month and its a 5 or more hour long game. people can play heavy games all the time if they want to. they don't want to so we see the hobby become casual. secret hitler is nothing but a shout at your friends fest and people love it because they don't want to think strategically. can you back your claim that the hobby is not becoming more casual? you seem to have decent thoughts so I'm legitimately interested in continuing this conversation with you if you're still around
>>
>>52450614
its good with 2 and like i said if you can get them to sit through no more than ten minutes of explanation they can handle it
>>
>>52450588
so your friends who don't know more aren't in the hobby, its a different crowd and maybe thats why were disagreeing
>>
File: 1413929577704.gif (850KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1413929577704.gif
850KB, 320x320px
>>52449743
>In the end it comes down to the people.
>These fucking people want to buy this slag. And we can't change that.

I'll take "What is 'Educating people in a friendly and enthusiastic manner' for $1000 Alex Trebeck."
>>
>>52450416
Define 'weight'. There's at least three orthogonal metrics:

a) Having lots of illogical, special-cased fiddly rules.
b) Having a decision tree that's both very wide and very deep.
c) Having lots of complex component and a long playing time.

Nobody knows which of the three they meant when they were voting.
>>
>>52450635
I agree, that the proprotion of casual grew while the hobby as a whole grew. I think that the absolute number of heavy games didn't shrink so dramatucally that boardgames are fucked though. I could even see some kind of danger that the heavy games shrink in numbers, as designers try to appeal the huge casual crowd. But still the hobby is very far away from being fucked imho. Also to answer the question on how to unfuck it or better 'counter the casualization': make heavy games (even) more accessible. Most people don't want to put the effort into learning complex rules and most never wanted. They are not gainst strategic thinking though. I 'tought' my gfs family caracssone, they owned it for years but never bothered to get into it, instead they played some childrens or party games or fucking monopoly. Now they cant stop playing carcassone, they LOVE the strategical thinking and competitiveness. My next step is teaching them caverna, because girls love animals and comfyness mostly.
So bottom line (got to go now), if you want to play heavy games with casual, make them very easily accessible.
>>
>>52450881
this is a good point and i would like to hear why you think inis is rated as a 3/5 on the weight scale. again, really want to know what you think and I'm not trolling sucks i have to make this clear but this board has been volatile
>>
>>52450884
'Heavy' and 'casual' aren't opposites, you nitwit. Is Go a 'heavy' or a 'casual'??
>>
>>52450884
i agree with basically everything you said. i personally think part of the problem is people rely on "gateway" games. I have taught kemet to no less than thirty people who never played anything past monopoly and they were all able to figure it out and all of them have now played heavier things. i think if board gamers stopped underestimating people in general we would have an easier time making publishers publish heavier games
>>
>>52450924
I don't know, I never played Inis.
>>
>>52450933
not him but go is a casual game with lots of depth to be found if someone wants to, just like chess. those aren't the games we are generally speaking about. we are mainly discussing modern games here. i get where you're coming from but i think if you bring go into the equation we are talking about different topics
>>
>>52450963
ok, blood rage then. why is it rated above 2/5? just because you can upgrade things? its not a hard concept to grasp as even monopoly has upgrade mechanics
>>
>>52450971
I'm pretty sure almost everyone agrees that Go is 'heavy' game. (It's rated 4 on BGG.)

It seems like for you 'heaviness' is having lots of braindead ameritrash mechanics, in which case I say good riddance and I sincerely hope such """heavy""" games die a quick and painful death.
>>
>>52450984
Blood Rage has lots of components and takes a long time to play. (For what it does.) For many people that makes it a 'medium heavy'.
>>
>>52451028
go is heavy in that there is a lot of strategy but not heavy in that you can teach someone the rules quickly. no reason to get angry, were actually having good discussion here.

go has like how many, ten rules maybe? thats not heavy. its heavy because of the strategy. ive played many games and if someone told me go was hard then taught it to me i would laugh. i would lose to them, but i would laugh that they thought it was a heavy game.

to me a heavy game is one hard to teach/learn if you know literally nothing about it. i could teach my mom to play go in ten minutes or less. i could not teach her twilight imperium in less than a half hour. to me that defines heaviness and if you have a different definition i would love to hear it because it will give me insight into how different people think.
>>
>>52451049
if time is equal to weight then the hobby is becoming casual in my opinion. do you disagree? if so why?

consider how long monopoly takes. would you consider it heavy?
>>
Am I the only one who actually likes Skulls & Roses? I think it's a fun game.
>>
>>52451090
>i could teach my mom to play go in ten minutes or less.
I doubt that. Go has counter-intuitive scoring rules. They're simple, but hard to wrap your head around.

>i could not teach her twilight imperium in less than a half hour. to me that defines heaviness and if you have a different definition i would love to hear it
There's at least three different definitions, see here: >>52450881

>>52451118
>consider how long monopoly takes. would you consider it heavy?
Personally I don't use a 'heavy' vs 'light' distinction and I couldn't care less if a game is considered 'heavy' or not.

That said, yes, if monopoly came with a box full of minis, different-colored chits and cards with icons on them then it would be considered a 'heavy' game by many people.
>>
>>52451160
Overpriced, but yeah, it's great fun for an ultra lightweight bluffing game
>>
>>52451337
don't doubt it. go is easy man. have you actually played it? being good is hard but playing is simple. how would monopoly be harder/heavier if it came with more?
>>
>>52451373
>don't doubt it. go is easy man. have you actually played it? being good is hard but playing is simple
The scoring in Go goes something like 'the spots that would be definitely captured if you keep on playing are considered captured', which is a very weird way to score. (Playing to the end would take forever, so you're forced to play the rest of the game in your head and anticipate what the score would end up being.)

It's a lot simpler when aided by a computer.

>>52451373
>how would monopoly be harder/heavier if it came with more?
For many people 'heavy' means 'lots of stuff in the box' and isn't related to being hard to play.
>>
>>52451497
scoring is not that hard imo, but maybe its not easy for everyone so i guess maybe first game it could be tricky?

>heavy means stuff in box
right, so you agree its all becoming more casual
>>
>>52451640
> scoring is not that hard imo
Yes it is. For one, there's lots of different algorithms that are mostly equivalent but not quite the same. For two, many of them require complex procedures. (Rules like "at the end of the game, stones which both players agree could inevitably be captured are dead; stones that cannot be captured are alive", for example.)

See: http://senseis.xmp.net/?Scoring or http://senseis.xmp.net/?ChineseCountingExample

> right, so you agree its all becoming more casual
No, I'm trying to say that 'heavy' and 'casual' are meaningless terms and you should be ashamed for using them.
>>
>>52451790
alright man obviously you're not trying to have a real discussion. the scoring in go is incredibly intuitive if you've played more than once. have fun succeeding in getting yous for being contrition, its easy here, but i won't be contributing to yours anymore.

if you actually wanna discuss something I'm here, lurking
>>
>>52452039
>the scoring in go is incredibly intuitive
http://senseis.xmp.net/?JapaneseCountingExample
http://senseis.xmp.net/?ChineseCountingExample

Doesn't look intuitive to me. In fact, I'm hard pressed to think of a game with more convoluted scoring mechanisms.
>>
Is this the thread to talk about cardgames?
I recently got into Netrunner and I really like that non-random aspect of buying cards. What is the best deck building game in your opinion? I heard good things about the LotR one.
>>
>>52452105
then you don't play many games, which is fine
>>
Anybody heard about this game? It looks good, but I'm not sure if it's worth backing or not.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2038926808/heroes-of-the-great-war-limanowa-1914/description
>>
>>52452296
>claims to be historically accurate
>provides modular board
isn't that enough to tell you that the designers are full of shit?
>>
>>52452296
also
>uses the word dices
are they illiterate?
>>
>>52452617
>>52452601
Dunno, that's why I asked here first.
>>
>>52452601
>board is made of 4 boards
>each board has it's own small scenario
>can be made into one board for a big one
Yeah that can still be historically accurate. It probably isn't, but that isn't proof.
>>
>>52452655
it really is. show me any area of the globe that could be designed like that and make sense. ill wait

obviously not counting giant oceans or a zoomed in mountain range. it couldn't happen. they are just jerking people around with "grognards and casuals will like it"

don't be dumb enough to believe it
>>
>>52452296
>separate package for minis or not with barely any price difference
holy shit, next level faggotry there
>>
>>52452296
The components look well crafted, and they give backers the option of skipping the plastic minis which is nice. The real issue is a lack of a rules PDF. Even with the play through it isn't always possible to get a good feel for the quality of the rules.
>>
>>52452296
>have to pay more for 1st player token
this is kickstarter
>>
>>52452296
videos of some no name faggot (who they probably still had to play) reviewing it. and its their first project. i can't find one single reason to look at this page more than once
>>
File: IMG_20170330_144942.jpg (541KB, 1210x908px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170330_144942.jpg
541KB, 1210x908px
Mail time!
>>
>>52452875
also "good faith" estimations of shipping, which is not included. do they not have any idea what they're doing? this is the poster child for kickstarters that should not exist
>>
>>52452891
man, really hope to play this some day
>>
File: KS Avatars2.jpg (84KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
KS Avatars2.jpg
84KB, 400x400px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/exceed-season-2-a-dueling-card-game

Anyone backing this?
>>
thread renamed to kickstarter general when?
>>
>>52453568
>www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/exceed-season-2-a-dueling-card-game
ya, a fuckload of asians
>>
>>52453580
when people stop pretending 4chan isn't just another facebook. or when 4chan stops censoring racist slurs (which is slowly happening)
>>
>>52453652
Some white people too
>>
Is Ticket to Ride good for the max players or is it a 2 player game at heart?

I just can't get a non 2player board game i like.
>>
calling out the Melbourne anon who wanted me to check out House of War a few threads ago, you still around buddy?

it saddens me that I really want to see a new reprint of Divine Right, but the designer is too obnoxiously retarded to find a publisher that hasn't already fucked him over once and is doing so again
>>52452296
>AH-style rules formatting in the rulebook
>CRT for close combat
this tickles me in the right places, I still won't back it because I don't care too much about historical themed wargames
>>52452839
rulebook is there, it's a small image link that can be pretty easy to miss if you're skimming
>>
>>52451353
So, proxy it with beer coasters. Get 1 set of 5 matching coasters of whatever beer brands you find, and have your artsy friend draw a skull on one side of a tile of each set. Or just use a marker to draw a big fat X on a side.
Boom, done.
>>
>>52450093
>original board games rely on dice and chance popularizing non choice focused play.

>modern board games look more complicated than filing my taxes.

Yeah in this very short term instance it's getting simpler, in the long run? You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>52454381
TtR depends on what map you play on. There are 2p, 3p and 4p+. If you want to play a 2p TtR, get Nordic Countries.
>>
>>52454957
Is Europe good for multiple players?
>>
>>52455024
Forget that it's a redundant question.

I've asked this before but I didn't get a response. I'm tempted to get Zug um Zug Deutschland because i like Germany but my German is serviceable for a short holiday and no more. Does anyone know if it's easily playable for English speakers (is there English rules in the box).
>>
>>52455024
Best with 5 if you like cutthroat games, best with 4 if you like a more relaxed one. Good for 3 too, but the double routes between some cities will have to be used as single routes. Better than USA map IMO.
>>
>>52454952
>what is Civilization by Avalon Hill
>what is 1829/1830
>what is Acquire
>what is Magic Realm

why are you so wrong about "original" board games?
>>
>>52455112
There's a translation of the rulebook on BGG, the game itself is not language-dependant.
>>
>>52455180
>>52455157
Thank you.
>>
>>52455159
In what world is acquire complicated?

It has fairly complex stratgies to make out of it but the core pieces are pretty simple.
>>
>>52455407
Acquire is more of an example of a classic board game that is not reliant on dice or chance than one that is complicated

the rest of the examples I listed are both
>>
>>52453568
Nah. Like battlecon it's the kind of game you need another person to heavily invest into it as well, not worth it unless you live in the mythical level 99 lands where people only play level 99 games games.
>>
>>52452296

>loss indicator chits

That's a pretty intuitive basing setup, but I kind of think a spin-dial base ala Mageknight or Clix games would make more sense, even if only to show colors.

That said, I like that they give the option to buy either just the game, the miniatures, or the combined set. For someone who likes miniatures, this is a pretty good way to still get the sale for people disinterested in a game. It honestly tempts me, but money is kind of tight since I had to get some unexpected surgery. The guys are definitely into their product since the 3 minute Kickstarter video was pretty well-made. I'll definitely have to keep a watch on this one in case I can come up with a spare hundo in the next month. If I can afford it before it ends, I'll be picking it up. Thanks for posting that.
>>
>>52453568
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/exceed-season-2-a-dueling-card-game

It looks cool, but it won't catch on where I live so I'm avoiding it. I just wish WIXOSS would come over here.
>>
>>52455469
Yeah and just the same not all board games that are new fit your idea of overly simplistic. The trends back then were simple with obvious deviation but statistically speaking older board games were simpler. Also two of your examples might as well be the same source. Acquire and Civilization were both sold by AH before their buyout by hasbro and specifically marketed themselves as separate to the curve. Acquire originally being from the 3m bookshelf collection attempting to sell board games to businessmen, not exactly your average board game company.
>>
>>52452601
That's how ASL does it. Are you saying that ASL is full of shit?
>>
>>52455112

It's getting an English version reprint later this year; wait for that.
>>
>>52455739
I'm not disagreeing at all with all new games being overly simplistic. Most of my favourite games are medium-heavy/heavy weight games that have been released in this decade, even if some of them reject modern board game design (Cave Evil, Duel of Ages II, Shadows of Malice and Zimby Mojo being examples that reject modern design, while Argent: The Consortium, Merchants & Marauders and BattleCON embrace it)

Older board games being simpler really depends on whether you include wargame simulations or not, even then SPI was branching out to creating complex economic games (Star Trader being a notable example, though it was released in magazine format just before they were bought out by TSR) and it would have been interesting to see where board games in the 80s would have lead towards if SPI wasn't so poorly managed. That said, I don't disagree with you that board game design was generally simpler or clunkier in the past, I was mainly pointing out stupid generalisations that I was initially responding to.
>>
>>52455526
Been interested in BattleCON since I saw a good deal for both Devastation and War, is it not worth it if you're playing it with people who can play it <5 times a year? I.e. not enough time to figure out strategy, perfect plays, etc.
>>
>>52456293
It's a game that gets better the more you play it, but it might be worth picking up War Remastered for 30 or whatever.
>>
File: hmm.jpg (22KB, 193x300px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
22KB, 193x300px
So, I just need clarification for this ghost card in Ghost Stories.

As per the marking on the bottom left:
The card arrives with a figurine placed on Player 1's board (not on the card) and when it's Player 1's turn again the tile it's in front of is haunted and that figurine is placed back on the card--I think I've got that right.

However, I'm unsure of the middle bottom marking.

Do I place an additional figurine? Or does the card not arrive with a figurine and is only placed (the figurine) when it's Player 1's turn again?

I might be overthinking this, but I can't find any relevant forum post or FAQ regarding my question.
>>
>>52450182
Do yourself a favour and get the app version first. It'll teach you the rules and you can decide if out want to splurge for the RL version.
>>
>>52456174
Fair enough, my mistake I didn't consider war sims given my lack of knowledge of familiarity, I've seen a few around as fairly rare, but I haven't seen the genre as that common place.
>>
>>52456326
The guy actually dropped it even further from $60 to $45 for both Devastation and War, wanted to wait until I had some cash but I might just jump on this soon for being too good a deal. Might reconsider if it's not as good without a long term playing partner though, was hoping it was good for dumping two characters at randoms and let them have at it.
>>
>>52457044
Is that $45 for Devastation+War together, or are they $45 each? A bit steep for War, but fantastic for Devastation.
Try to PnP to get a feel for it, it's fairly easy to do.
>>
File: 1489855944865.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1489855944865.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
I recently got Hanabi and there is one rule I'm not clear on.

Let's say I've got 1 (green), 1 (red) and 1 (yellow) already played on the table. The other player has 2 (red) in his hand. So I point out to him that he has number 2 card in his hand.

On his turn, he plays that 2. Now, since he (in this case) does not know the color of this 2, does this mean that he has to bluff and put it blindly on one of the three possible or that he pulls it out, looks at it and then calmly puts it above 1 (red)? It seems kinda easy that he can choose where to put it after he pulls it out to play it, but I cannot find anything in the rules regarding this situation.

Can anyone clarify this? I know the rules can be flexible but I'm wondering if there's an official stance on this.
>>
>>52457044
it's a fantastic price, but I'd advise against dumping characters at random initially - I'd try lower difficulty characters (I like showing off Alexian vs Shekhtur from Devastation to new players, or Hikaru vs Vanaah from War) first to get an idea of the mechanics, then you'll be able to pick up after a few games

also recommend PnP idea from >>52457125
>>
Going down to my local game store. I have about $80. Any recommendations? I've thought about the following
>Mice and Mystics
>Catan
>Cosmic Encounter
>Libertalia
>>
File: Bases.jpg (2MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
Bases.jpg
2MB, 2550x3300px
I'll dump some Battlecon PnP if you want to go for it.

>>52457449
What games do you have currently?
>>
>>52457486
Sorry forgot to mention that this is my first other than shit like Monopoly.
>>
File: Shekhtur.jpg (5MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
Shekhtur.jpg
5MB, 2550x3300px
>>52457531
Catan is pretty polarizing, but I like to recommend it since it offers a wide array of mechanics. You'll be able to see what you like and look for similar games.

Cosmic Encounter is a fun but shallow experience. What other interests do you have? Vidya, other games, themes, etc.
>>
>>52457449
Libertalia look really cool but I've yet to play, have only read the rule book and watched some videos about it
Catan is a "classic" but honestly it's not that great.
Don't have any experience with the other 2 tho
>>
>>52457449
How many people will you be playing with? What does everyone (including you) like? What don't you like?

Board games are like video games and movies, it's unlikely you're going to enjoy every single one in every single genre.
>>
File: Marmelee.jpg (5MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
Marmelee.jpg
5MB, 2550x3300px
Marmalee and Welsie are my favorite characters in the game, but both are shit
Coincidence?
>>
>>52457599
I'm pretty big into sci-fi/Space Operas and Monster/Horror movies. I don't play alot of Vidya. Was also thinking of Tokaido.
>>52457726
Not sure how many people will be playing with me. I do know plenty of people who would want to, but you make a good point.
>>
>>52457125
>>52457409
Its $45 for both, second hand. And yeah giving randoms the beginner level fighters is the plan, though hopefully the more advanced fighters are advanced in terms of being more difficult to play instead of just being overpowered when up against the beginner fighters?

PnP testing is an option, but I don't know if I have the time. At the very least I think I have a good grasp of how it plays, and gameplay videos have been very intriguing, with the mind games predicting your opponent taking center point. Thanks for the PnP dump though!
>>
>>52457773
Well before you spend $80 on something, think about what kind of game experience you want. All those games might be what you want, but they are all different to each other. Cosmic Encounter is perfect for sitting around, having some beers and playing a fun, casual game with 4-5 players. Libertalia is more thoughtful fare while still having you versus your friends, and Catan is very non-confrontational but a bit more lightweight.

Figure out what it is you're hoping to get out of the experience, if other people you want to invite will also enjoy it, and go from there. Good luck friendo.
>>
My buddy wants to play Harbor this weekend. Is it any good?
>>
>>52457872
it can be a combination of both difficult to play or can easily destroy inexperienced players - Ottavia is a good example of someone who wrecks the shit out of inexperienced players and is one of the two broken characters in the game, Lesandra can be pretty useless if you can't pull off reliable hits often
>>
>>52457949
Alright I think I'm gonna go for Libertalia. It's the game play that I've most wanted to try out. Cosmic Encounters looks like fun, and I'll probably get it eventually, but I'm looking for something more thoughtful. I'm sure I'll find someone who has Catan, and I'll try it out then. Thanks for the help!
>>
File: Alexian.jpg (4MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
Alexian.jpg
4MB, 2550x3300px
>>52457872
$45 for both is fucking amazing if they're complete and in good condition. It really is a game that gets better the more you put into it though.
Advanced fighters are "stronger" in that their abilities generally allow more versatility.
>>
>>52457326
I don't know if it's official but what I've always done is the second scenario you mentioned. If you played down a card and it logically goes on any of the piles then it works.

I guess here is an extreme example against having to call out the number and color: Say you've just started the game and another player tells you that you have a 1 in your hand. Before you play that 1 do you have to call out the color it is as well (e.g. "Red 1")? To me that just seems a little too demanding but I'd be happy if another anon could weigh in.

Regardless, having to call out the color and the number before you play it is one way to make the game harder if the base version is too easy.
>>
>>52458074
It wasn't on your list but Carcassonne is one of my favorite games and it's one the of the first that I use show to new players.
>>
>>52457326
It's the second way.
>Playing a card: the player takes a card from his hand and plays it to the table. Two options are possible: A. The card either begins, adds to, or completes a firework and it is then added to the appropriate color firework.

At least that'd be my reading of playing a card to the table, and it then being added to the appropriate pile if one exists.
>>
>>52458738
>>52458120
It's actually either, the original French rules list calling your shot (playing direct to a pile instead of just playing the card) as a variant but suggest playing a way when its getting easy to read your table.
>>
>>52454798
Thanks - I'll see if I can find the link and check out the rules. The components and art look good. If the rules are the same level of quality it could be a fine war game.
>>
>>52452271
Instead of trying to insult me just name a game with more convoluted scoring rules than Go's.
>>
Wanted to thank the anon who recommended and convinced me to get Forbidden Stars from a couple threads back. It came today and I highly underestimated how neat this game would be. The cards and miniatures look great. Hopefully one of my friends will enjoy it, but even if they don't it's still nice to finally own something from the 40k universe.
>>
>>52459489
1/10 i responded

no reason to shit the thread up further, idiot. if the games hard to you thats fine.
>>
>>52459579
It's not hard, it's convoluted. (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_and_death#Status_of_a_group)

Are you 14? There are more nuanced ways to look at the world than the binary dichotomy of "easy normie shit" and "hardcore very complex shit".
>>
>>52459605
>tell him theres no need to shit the thread up further
>keeps doing it anyway
come on man. talk about a game you're able to understand if you're gonna be here. do you like xs or os in tic tac toe?
>>
>>52455469
>Acquire is more of an example of a classic board game that is not reliant on dice or chance than one that is complicated
>not reliant on chance
Acquire is literally ruled by nothing but chance. Draw meaningful tiles and win -- draw garbage and lose. What's meaningful definitely differs from game to game of course, but that doesn't make it not completely luck based.
>>
>>52453568
Exceed is basically casual BattleCON. I've played it once, it's... pretty meh.

I honestly can't get terribly excited about it. BattleCON is downright fantastic -- what need do I have of a simpler, more watered down version of the same game in my collection when I could just play the real thing?
>>
>>52457750
Welsie's not shit. Not by a longshot. There are at least two people on BGG who consider her Arec-tier broken, and while I don't quite think she's that good I definitely think she's well above average. The damage she can put out is just absurd even while having very degenerately safe plays. Her problem is generally matchup driven -- like all rangers she struggles a lot against enemies with great movement.
>>
>>52459534
You're welcome anon, hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as me and my friends do.
>>
Are there any good legacy games?
>>
>>52459618
> talk about a game you're able to understand
I am. Unlike you, who didn't actually write anything at all game-related this whole thread.

You can start by naming a game with more convoluted scoring rules.

(Go is basically "yo dog I heard you liked games so we put a game into your game endgame scoring rules".)
>>
>>52460192
>still shitting up thread
>memes
jesus dude, do you even play games or do you just come here to shit post? ill try asking about another game you might understand: do you prefer rock, paper, or scissors?
>>
>>52460278
>still shitting up thread
what do you play? nothing? you really just came here to shit things up?

Kinda pathetic my dude.
>>
cringe
>>
File: thegroupwantstoplaycah.gif (2MB, 427x240px) Image search: [Google]
thegroupwantstoplaycah.gif
2MB, 427x240px
>It's a "two fags argue and ruin another /bgg/ thread" episode.
>>
>>52460765
There's only one fag in this thread. (Not you, BTW.)
>>
>>52460773
>implying I'm not gay
shows what you know.
>>
>>52446860
>Game nights planned
This weekend i'm going to teach my group concordia
>>
>>52452917
It's pretty cool. Could definitely use the market rules coming with the expansion though. Just played a game and 2 planet gates lined up just perfectly for a player nearby to buy and sell to their hearts content with absolute minimal effort. It also feels a little weird you can get so crippled that you'd rather just blow your own ship up for a full recovery than actually try to fix it, but that's only early on with tier 1.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1482127571555.jpg (65KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1482127571555.jpg
65KB, 500x667px
>>52452195
Haven't played either but the lotr game gets pretty lauded around here.

I wasn't able to get empires at sea guys. When I do I'll break it down for y'all. Hey, it's supposed to be somewhat complicated so someone here will like it 'cause it's "heavy" or whatever.
Also
>Muh filler image
Ah, that feels good.
>>
>>52446860
Can anybody shortly introduce me to Battlecon?
Good for begginers into hobby (less than 10 games in the collection)?

Playable with just the base game (war of I~) or should I get it with some expansion right away?
>>
My collection thus far is pretty much all burgerspeil, in fact i cant think of a single german or euro type game in it.

I just ordered castles of burgundy, puerto rico, and san jaun. About 80 bucks total with tax n all that. Same day shipping.
>Howd i do?

Realizing i could have probably saved a few sheckles had i not bought them knew but eh what da heck

Also, le havre looks amazing but csi and miniature market were out of stock while amazon had it way over price so i decided to hold off foe now... thinking i might not be able to resist getting it now tho so i might look for second hand copies later today.
>how bout dah?
>>
>>52462195

It's a non-random, somewhat fast-paced game unless you or your partner has analysis paralysis. Deep and strategic so be sure to get into it if you have a dedicated opponent you can play against.

Gameplay is you play a base (like shot, strike, burst, grasp, etc) and a style that's unique to you that modifies your base (Eligor's Chained Shot is essentially Scorpion's "Get over here!"). You and your opponent play your base and style simultaneously. Whoever has highest priority attacks first, and if the opponent isn't stunned they go next. Lasts 15 "beats" (turns) or until one player loses their 20 health (most likely outcome).

Great for beginners as the rules are not complicated at all.

And there are 4 "main" sets: War, Devastation, Fate, Trials. Each of this is standalone. I'd recommend Devastation if you can afford it (30 fighters and has game variants) and War Remastered if you can't (18 fighters). Fate and Trials only have 10 each so prioritize those last unless you need the game now and don't have much cash.

Try the PnP anon posted or if you need a rulebook and mat, you can find the PnP online elsewhere.
>>
>>52462546
Puerto Rico and San Juan feels redundant, though the former has a few mechanics not in the latter. You did ok anon.

Somewhat related, what does it mean if I find Puerto Rico to be a tad frustrating and San Juan to be more fun (even when losing)?
>>
>>52462546
Le Havre is supposed to be reprinted soon.
>>
>>52462552
Thanks I think Ill get it.
Looks like a nice short duel with lots and lots of replayiability.
>>
File: Renders_Dreadworm_01.jpg (211KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Renders_Dreadworm_01.jpg
211KB, 1920x1080px
>>52446860
Anybody else getting Darklight: Memento Mori? It's basically Kingdom Death + Warhammer Quest. Late pledges are open until the 30th of April.

Been reading over the rules, I'm looking forward to becoming an sex addicted alcoholic riddled with STDs and adopting lots of children. (I'm not even fucking joking)

http://www.darkicegames.com/darklight/

They are shipping around August/September, it's already been a year since the original KS and everything is going smoothly with Ludo Fact manufacturing it.
>>
>>52463274
Am I reading this right? So if I pay £80, I would get the base game and all of the extra adventurers, monsters, etc. that were unlocked?
>>
>>52463549
Yep, looks fucking awesome.

Only addon you need to get for more minis are the boss monsters.
>>
>>52463590
^which is a £40 bundle.
>>
>>52463590
Well thanks for posting about it. Was always intrigues by KD, but couldn't justify spending that much on a game. Sounds like this might be worth looking into.
>>
So I just found out that Bookdepository delivers boardgames as books for free internationally. Which is great because i don't have to pay import fees for "books".
Only issue is the kind of limited selection.
Do you happen to know any other pages like that?-.
>>
File: 1445990013017.jpg (57KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1445990013017.jpg
57KB, 500x501px
Help me /tg/ bgg! You're my only hope!

Trying to figure out what to add to my collection next...

> MFW: First world problems...
Sekigahara (GMT Games) or Shogun: Big Box edition (Queen Games). And yes, I know Queen Games can be dicks...

I'm also considering getting the 2nd Edition version of Robinson Crusoe.

And last, but not least - looking at Kemet plus the Ta-Seti expansion. The two together are $100 even when snagged at a discount. Is there enough about Kemet as an area control game to make it worth the investment? I've got other area control games already.
>>
>>52465769
I mean, Kemet is really just an area control and fightan game, but around here we probably agree that it's the best one anywhere near it's weight class. So get it, but only once you feel the itch for a new game in that genre if you already have some.
>>
>>52463274
>>52463549

Oh shit son I had forgotten about this game.

I almost backed it because it looked incredibly similar to Shadows of Brimstone (which I fucking love)

You're tempting me.

AGAIN.
>>
>>52465824
>You're tempting me.
>AGAIN.

Isn't that what /tg/ stands for? /Temptation to Game/
>>
>>52465769
I've played neither Sekigahara or Shogun, so I gotta go with Sekigahara based purely on the fact that it's from GMT Games, and I really like GMT Games.

>Is there enough about Kemet as an area control game to make it worth the investment?
I mean, what do you want out of your area control game? GMT's COIN games are area control as well, but still pretty different from Kemet I'd guess.
>>
>>52465824
>SoB
I want that game pretty bad but it's so pricey.
>>
Anyone ever beat the old LoTR co-op game? I know it's not a great game, but it became a bit of a quest for me and some friends which became bigger than the game. Beating it was very enjoyable

also, does anyone have any tips for moderating Ultimate Werewolf? any cool ideas to make the game a bit more special?
>>
>>52466024

It's a very archaic game mechanically but one of the very best "emergent storyline" games.

Awesome stuff. You can get in as a long term investment, buy a core box; play the shit out of the included missions, and then slowly expand by buying a couple expansion packs.
>>
In arpgs like Diablo and PoE economy is a pretty important thing yeah? Stuff like auction houses and trading the good drops you get but cant use to getting and using those good equips are big parts of them.
So what if there was a board game that simulated that kind of trading economy, along side a character and progress board to simulate clearing dungeons/killing bosses/completing quests/etc.
I think it could be a neat idea if done right
>>
>>52456637
The symbol on the bottom go:
[left] - what it does at the start
[middle] - what it does each turn
[right] - what it does when the haunt dies

The middle symbol just means to "activate" the haunt every turn.
>>
>>52468080
> In arpgs like Diablo and PoE economy is a pretty important thing yeah? Stuff like auction houses and trading the good drops you get but cant use to getting and using those good equips are big parts of them.

At least D2 had problems with economy that gold was basically worthless. People mostly traded either in gems, high runes or SoJs.

> So what if there was a board game that simulated that kind of trading economy, along side a character and progress board to simulate clearing dungeons/killing bosses/completing quests/etc.
I think it could be a neat idea if done right

I had a similar idea with a ARPG/rougelike Town Sim where you'd control the shopkeepers, set up the quests etc, but thought it would work better as a computer game than a board game.
>>
>>52462656
Well I did consider the fact that San Jaun is supposedly the card game for Puerto Rico, but I thought them different enough and good enough in their own rights to justify owning both... I was also considering not getting San Juan because I have Race for the galaxy already! But in all honesty I love Rftg and San Juan looked a lot different (considering the obvious comparisons) and it also seemed like something I could use to get people into Rftg, seeing as it's a lot more straightforward and open.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback anon!
Assuming I have no euros aside from the aforementioned, what would you recommend I get next? Am I correct in thinking Le Havre is a solid game?
>>
File: 1481259727505.jpg (38KB, 750x666px) Image search: [Google]
1481259727505.jpg
38KB, 750x666px
>>52462714
Oh Joy!
>>
>>52462714
Any specific date planned for this?
>>
>>52466409
>moderating ultimate werewolf
Isn't there an app that can do that for you?
>>
>>52465993
>I gotta go with Sekigahara based purely on the fact that it's from GMT Games, and I really like GMT Games.

I know - it's hard to argue with that logic. The main reason I'm debating it is the fact that 'Big Box' version of Shogun is routinely out of print. (And yes, I'm weeb enough to own both.)

As for Kemet, I've already got a number of classic war games, but I'm not adverse to the idea of more. I'll just have to get off my lazy butt and watch a few game play videos / read the rules and see if anything about it tweaks my interest. (I've already got Deus for example.)
>>
>>52468503
Not the Anon you were replying to, but good 'intro' level Euros worth a look include:

Castles of Burgundy
Stone Age (You and your friends can play the game online at Board Game Arena - just setup accounts / download the rules from BGG or the publisher's site - if you want to 'try it before you buy it'.)
>>
>>52459579
I just want to tell you that everybody hates you and people would be happy if you never came here.
>>
>>52469161
you're thinking of One Night ultimate werewolf, i'm on about the full length one where someone has to keep track of everything
>>
>>52470247
thanks for the suggestions! luckily, castles of burgundy are one of the games I ordered :) should be getting here in 6 or 7 hours! Will attempt to get it to the table and report back.
>>
>>52470279
I just want to tell you everyone loves you and we have no idea what we would do without you.
>>
File: Can't_Hurt_Pepe.jpg (42KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
Can't_Hurt_Pepe.jpg
42KB, 604x604px
>>52470279
>>
>>52463549
how is eu shipping ?
>>
sooo. lotta kickstarters ending soon. anyone's i would regret not backing ?
>>
File: 1490960075578.png (184KB, 426x341px) Image search: [Google]
1490960075578.png
184KB, 426x341px
>trying to explain the rules to Archipelago to my group
Jesus christ, how do people do this and not sound like an autistic sperg? Luckily we all have similar tastes so everyone was content to sit through my bumbling explanation and ended up really enjoying the game, but holy shit trying to explain all the interconnected mechanics in any semblance of order was hard. I have no idea how people manage with more complicated games.
>>
>>52472025
all of them anon, give your money to unproven nobodies and companies who want to offload the risk of production onto their consumers.
>>
>mods deleted my comment
>but no this autism
>>52460385
>>52460256
>>52460192
etc.

Mods are literally garbage, what in the fuck.
>>
Why is Roll for the Galaxy so good bros? Just played it for the first time. It's super competitive though.
I finished last
>>
>>52472790
>Inb4 race-fag starts shitting up the thread

Its the rattle the dice make in the cup
>>
>>52472790
My players are really like Roll too. Have to watch for an early tile rush, but it's fun when you can get serious production going and start raking in the VPs.
>>
File: GOTM-Sticker.jpg (82KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
GOTM-Sticker.jpg
82KB, 500x382px
>Featuring Dante from Hell To Pay
...I almost want it just for that. Like it's literally just pure bling. But I want the Featuring Dante tag on the front of my Millennium Blades box.
>>
>>52472790
I played 2p where we had to exhaust all 24 VP tokens and get at least 12 tiles in our tableau and it was a lot of fun
very close too; I think I won 76 to 74 or something like that
>>
>>52472790
>>52473096
>>52473201
At the risk of shitting up the thread, can someone explain to me the difference between roll and race (other than one uses dice and the other doesn't)? And which of the two you would recommend to someone who had never played either one?
>>
>>52470199
I own both. I haven't played Seki much, but Shogun is a fun game. It's interesting, though maybe a little outdated? I like the cube tower, though, and it presents some tough choices re the management of your money, building of castles, and mustering of troops. I haven't played the expansions.

What interests you most about it?

For sekigahara, it looks beautiful, but is a 2 player block wargame so its utility is limited. But, get it now before it disappears for 3 years.
>>
>>52473290

That's fucking hilarious. Unfortunately I probably won't be spending $15 plus shipping on a reference and some alternate art cards.
>>
>>52457953
Has your buddy been watching Wil Wheaton?
>>
File: IMG_1767.jpg (81KB, 540x539px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1767.jpg
81KB, 540x539px
>>52471087
>>
>>52473290
When I first saw it, I was really hoping it was a new box that could actually fit the game in.
Oh well.
>>
>>52473338
Both game have a similar structure
Simultaneous action selection, after which every one gets to do all of the actions selected. With the actions you are building a tableau and potentially generating vps from your tableau. Game ends when a pool of vps has been emptied, or when someone's tableau reaches a certain size, which ever comes first.
In race, each card is a tech or planet that you can add to your tableau, they are built by discarding other cards from your hand to pay for construction. One action lets you draw cards, one action lets you develop tech, one settle planets, and the last two produce and ship goods for more cards or for vps.
In roll the tech and planets are tiles drawn from a bag, and your dice are workers that can be assigned to the various actions depending on what they rolled. Once they are used they are placed in holding before they can be rolled again. One action lets you get dice out of holding or cycle planet/tech tiles, one action lets you develop tech, one settle planets, and the last two produce and ship goods get dice out of holding or for vps.
>>
>>52473338
>explain to me the difference between roll and race (other than one uses dice and the other doesn't)? And which of the two you would recommend to someone who had never played either one?
Race is a bit simpler -- less rules, no fiddly components. Race requires a lot more thinking and is deeper. Roll feels like a straightforward worker placement game, so you'll grasp the strategies and game dynamics quicker. Race has much more unorthodox mechanics so you won't understand what you're supposed to do your first couple of games.

Get Race is you want something deep that will last you for 1000 plays. Get Roll if you're the kind of person who collects boardgames and won't play something ten times in a row.
>>
>>52472754
Despite how others are behaving, you actually thought your post was worth the time and energy you just spent to defend it?

Kinda pathetic, my dude.
>>
>>52473096
Too late, he's here

>>52477678
>>
Should buy Dominion Second Edition, or the original and then the upgrade pack.I'm worried about the art style and fonts and such being cohesive but at the same time it seems that the second edition removes a couple of cards which I'd be able to keep with the upgrade pack.

second edition and the base game+upgrade are pretty much equal in price

What would you suggest?
>>
>>52478316
Do you have your heart set on Dominion? Because there are better deck builders out there anon
>>
>>52478334
Not necessarily, I used to play it regularly a few years ago and thought I should get my own copy. I quite like it but at times it felt like every player was playing for themselves and there was little you could do to interact. Maybe some of the expansions solve this or perhaps other games are better in that regard. What would you suggest?
>>
>>52463274

Took the plunge.
>>
>>52478316
>>52478359
Get the second edition, my man. The cards taken out are absolute shitshows. They were either not worth it (Adventurer, Saboteur) or actively helped your opponents (Thief) in pretty much all situations.

As far as the multiplayer solitaire aspect, Dominion has more subtle player interaction, because buying e.g. Victory cards can throttle your deck (too early) or leave you at a loss (too late), early and late being determined not just by your deck, but your opponent's. This is mitigated in future expansions (especially ones that add "non-attack interactions" (Intrigue, Empires) and attacks (Dark Ages), but I understand that not everybody can be a fanboy and get all of it. I'd recommend 2nd edition Base Set and Intrigue: not too much of a dip, the cards/rules have been polished, and the 2nd edition expansions will be coming out in the following years, so you can see if you want to invest into it bit by bit.
>>
File: frustration.jpg (28KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
frustration.jpg
28KB, 500x340px
>>52446860
tfw wheaton videos show up in youtube recommendations
>>
>>52479287
They actually got me into board games but I've since learned from my mistake
>>
>>52454798
Melbourne anon here. Want to organise something?
>>
Most people play games on average less than once.

Look on any trading site and see people selling mounds of unplayed, unpunched games so.they can "make room" for the next big thing

is this any way to live?
>>
>>52480157
Collectors aren't most people.
>>
>>52478052
I'm >>52473338 can you explain to me what makes the games different? Are race and roll the same complexity wise and do they have the same replay value or is there something more than what >>52475019 said?
>>
>>52480421
You really can't do wrong with either. They're both great games

Race is the better game with two players. Roll is the better game with larger groups (4-5). And keep in mind this doesn't mean the opposite is false -- Roll is still good at 2 and Race is still good at 4 (although only Roll can go to 5). Roll is generally easier to teach new players because its symbology is less obtuse. Race has tons of expansions to customize your game experience.

Make a decision based on your game group, really. Or based on whether or not you love or hate dice.
>>
>>52480481
This was the answer I was looking for. Thank you anon
>>
>>52480157
They're collectors. There are three types of people who buy boardgames:
a) Roleplayers
b) Collectors
c) Competitive/sportsmanlike players

Type 'c' actually outnumbers the rest by something like 100 to 1, but most online chatter is generated by 'a' and especially 'b'.
>>
>>52480481
>Roll is generally easier to teach new players because its symbology is less obtuse.
Not really. Race's symbology is easier than the symbology in 7 Wonders, and that is supposed to be a 'gateway game'.

Generally I've found that people pick up on Race's symbols pretty quickly, it's the simultaneous action selection and choice bonus system that gives trouble.
>>
>>52480775
Sure thing buddy. Whatever you say.
>>
>>52480775

Race's symbology is the worst, come on.

Though, I'll admit, I always found 7 wonders symbology to be fucking shit and a huge hurdle for new players too.

I guess that's a lot worse, because Race is more of "hardcore gamer"s game while 7W is supposed to be simple.
>>
>>52480974
That isn't Race for the Galaxy, that's the solo player robot that comes with an expansion. Not something you'd ever come upon in real life.

>>52481073
>Race's symbology is the worst, come on.
No it's not, it's actually very intuitive. E.g., a hand grabbing a card means 'take a card', a picture of a VP chip means 'take a VP chip', that sort of thing.
>>
>>52478316
I suggest not buying Dominion.
>>
>>52481872
I'm pretty sure Dominion is still the best deckbuilder.
>>
>>52482520
That still doesn't make it good.
>>
>>52482520
Nope, no it's really not. Not even close.
>>
>>52482520
just because its the first, doesnt make it the best. in fact its usually the opposite.
>>
>>52482520
That's where you're wrong. It's worth playing, but it's not worth buying.
>>
>>52482539
>>52482691
>>52482821
What good deckbuilders are there? I'm looking for a good one to get.
>>
>>52483176
That's the thing, people hate on Dominion but can't name any better deckbuilding game. (No, Ascension and Star Realms aren't better.)
>>
>>52483176
I like 'Arctic Scavengers' with both expansions. The first Xenoshyft game is also fun/challenging (and a co-op game). But if you're looking for a really good deckbuilder, then I'd point you Core Worlds, particularly with the first expansion.
>>
>>52483212
I'm not one of the earlier Anons, and I have played Dominion. Mechanically speaking it's very well designed, and I wouldn't hesitate to tell anyone that. But absolutely nothing about its theme or game play enticed me in the least to buy it, much less the numerous expansions.
>>
>>52483212
Star Realms is a better game than Dominion.
>>
>>52483176
I've only played it once, but Clank was a good game with deck building as part of the mechanics. If you put a gun to my head and made me name my favorite deck builder I'd probably say it's Clank.
>>
>>52483354
this
>>52483176

also great for 2v2 or 3v3 games.
>>
>>52483354
Depends on whether you like the random 5 card market or the fixed all options available market better.
Dominion is coutdated and kinda clunky, but all the available cards, interactions and synergies make it far more replayable imho, which may suit you better if you can tolerate the dry theme.
-"But anon, why would you like to play MORE variations of a bad game?"
Ascension and [Theme] Realms is more dynamic, but a turn will often boil down to beating your opponent to the highest value cards available, and strategy feels secondary to luck. Expansions may spice things up a bit when you know your way around the basic decks and playtime is shorter, so you can play a few rounds in the same time you play a single game of Dominion.
-"But anon, why would you want to play more rounds of the same stale game?"
>>
>>52483212
Valley of the Kings you miserable pleb.
>>
Is Descent 2nd ed. the best miniature game that doesn't require you to preorder it to get the full experience?
>>
>>52483896
Gloomhaven is better than descent, but the only the characters have minis, the monsters have s tandees.
>>
What's a good solitaire game? As much as I adore my friends it also turns out that some games I like are just too complex for them.
>>
>>52483800
> "Random Hipster Game Nobody Has Heard Of", you miserable pleb
If it was good then it wouldn't be so obscure.
>>
File: coverup.png (8KB, 509x619px) Image search: [Google]
coverup.png
8KB, 509x619px
>>52484855
>if it was good it wouldn't be so obscure
>>
>>52485648
The corollary is even more retarded.
>>
>>52484487
Space Hulk Death Angel
>>
>>52452105
>In fact, I'm hard pressed to think of a game with more convoluted scoring mechanisms.
Mahjong.
>>
>>52484855

>Random Hipster Game Nobody Has Heard of

In board games it's the opposite. Hipsters play board games that everyone's heard of because they're new to the scene and are only doing it because it's the "in thing" now.
>>
>>52484855

I know you're trolling but Cards Against Humanity and Monopoly are stupid popular but we don't discuss that shit here.

Every time someone asks for a deckbuilder here, three quarters of the time a VotK recommendation or multiple is posted. It's likely not as popular because it's not fantasy, sci-fi, Cthulhu, or superhero themed but nevertheless it's a great game. Low card count may also contribute to lack of popularity but in this case makes for incredibly tight gameplay.

Don't let your ignorance cloud your judgment.
>>
File: IMG_20170401_184321608.jpg (2MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170401_184321608.jpg
2MB, 4320x2432px
Playing Elysium!
>>
>>52472072
When explaining the rules to a new game I usually go: How you win, when the game ends, what you do in a turn, then try to give a more general sketch of the engine or mechanisms or strategy or whatever. I try to avoid getting too detailed as people will just glaze over, and bring it up as it becomes relevant. So the first game is a tutorial game, but that was always going to be the case if they don't want to read the rules beforehand (nobody ever does)
>>
>>52487792
I try something like this

>>52487436
Good luck anon!
>>
>>52487436
>smokes
>shades
>lighter
What are you doing, you're too cool for a board games. Also you're stinking up the place.
>>
>>52482520
>>52478316
Threadly reminder MtG is the best deckbuilder.
>>
>>52488106
That's not how you spell Tanto Cuore shitlord.
>>
>>52487927

I'm more triggered by that 32oz. beverage chilling by the board game like it just invited itself over
>>
>>52488106
Played mtg since the dark. It's been a shit money grab the entire time. So glad I quit it and heroclix. Monte cook is a talentless hack.
>>
>>52488274
>>52487927
That just looks so uncomfy. Terrible table probably terrible chairs too.

Probably smokes at the table or smells of cigarettes.

Disgusting.
>>
>>52473338
Race is better, plain and simple. If you want something for gamers who are newer to the hobby people recommend roll however, race is actually really simple too... the thing is that roll takes away some flexibility from you by restricting your options to those given to you by your dice roll. You have more control in race and therefore, more interesting decisions to make. In roll the game doesnt play you but its more on that end of the spectrum than race if u know what i mean.
Tl;dr race> roll unless youre a brainlet
>>
>>52488346
imagine how raped the cards' sides' are getting
>>
>>52488396
lol this is what smoothbrains believe
>>
>>52487436

Elysium's a good game but uhhhh I hope you don't play all your games on a glass table. There's some games where shit has to be played facedown.

But on the other hand nobody is jerking off under the table.
>>
File: IMG_20170401_202744091.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170401_202744091.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
Check out muh board state.
>>
>>52488396
Race fag continues to show he has never played roll
>>
>>52486192
Seconded
>>
>>52484487
Archipelago has a solo mode, give that a look. Also pretty much any co-op game can be played solo.
>>
>>52488106
>Threadly reminder MtG is the best deckbuilder.

Except it isn't even a deck builder you moron.
>>
Which is better, Dune or Rex?
>>
>>52489957
Theme-wise, Dune hands down. Mechanically, Rex has a few improvements that edge it past Dune.
>>
>>52479982
I'd be down for that sometime, I'm in the inner north suburbs but I don't mind traveling. Would you be able to make it to Cardboard City on Wednesday?
>>
>>52484487
I play solo fairly often. There are a lot of good games with optional solo modes, but most of the time those solo modes are so-so and not really reason enough to justify buying the game. Just looking at my collection, Archipelago, BattleCON (Devastation), Caverna, Exodus: Proxima Centauri (via expansion), Millennium Blades (expansion), Nations, Neuroshima Hex and Scythe fall into that category -- good games, with passable solo variants, but I wouldn't recommend them just for the solo variant and only occasionally play one.

The few games that I've played whose solo modes earn their keep are Mage Knight, High Frontier, Falling Sky and Gloomhaven. All four of those are meaty enough to keep my interest, and yet offer enough replayability that I doubt I'll ever exhaust all of them. Granted I skew towards the heavy side of the games curve anyways, but really the way things tend to work is that the more puzzle-like the game the better with regards to solo play.
>>
>>52487436
Great game, but you should quit smoking.
>>
>>52486192
>>52489844
>>52492229

Thanks, it's just I've bought 5 board games recently and I haven't been able to play with them yet. Sometimes I'll get a game going at my LGS on board game night but sometimes I will get people who just don't want to play something very heavy or the player count is off. Also doesn't help when the friends you normally play board games with have somehow made themselves retarded that getting a proper game is impossible.
>>
Hey guys! Has amyone tried out Concordia? What's it like? I want more Euros.

Also, suggest some worker placement games that have hight replayability.
>>
>>52492713
Im pretty sure it's severely oop
>>
>>52468428

Basically a boardgame version of Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale?
>>
>>52483212
Puzzle Strike. Yes, it's a Sirlin game, but it's a fucking fantastic deckbuilder.
>>
>>52490633
Sorry mate, I'm working pretty late on Wednesday.

Saturday or Sunday Arvo suit better.
>>
I got 200 bucks to spend on games, what should i get?
>>
>>52495120
wtf is that kind of question

-what do you have
-what do you play
-with how many do you play
-do you have any preferences.
>>
Is Arkham Horror the card game the best solo game ever made?
>>
>>52495159
The mere fact that you guys ask this kind of question make you so much better than 95% of generals out there.
>>
>>52495120
A World at War
>>
>>52495120
Munchkin plus every expansion, spend any leftover money on kickstarter.
>>
>>52495738
>kickstarter
>>
>>52495746
>not greentexting munchkin
>>
>>52495738

That's no money for kickstarter. There's more than 200 buck's worth of munchkin expansions.
>>
>>52496153
That is horrifying.
>>
>>52496296

Quite, one of my friends is an avid Munchkin fan and has a nearly impossible to balance stack of cards.

That also means I have to play it once in a while. *shudder*
>>
File: 20170402_101126.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170402_101126.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Finally got black fleet to the table today. The 3 yr old loved it. Dad had to play solo ish however. Not having a group or time, sucks.
>>
>>52496312
Take up smoking.
"Accidentally" drop your Zippo into his box of munchkin cards.
We'll send you a medal.
>>
File: 1487977115423.jpg (805KB, 1023x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1487977115423.jpg
805KB, 1023x1024px
I need insight on Touch of Evil, as much as anyone can give. How are the mechanics, themes, depth and replayability?
>>
>>52496312
I hate to say this, but 'Munchkin' is a great way to sort out your 'creative / looking for a challenge' friends from your 'I just want some lulz/random laughs' friends. And while there's nothing wrong with folks who fall into the latter category, I'm just looking for more out of my gaming time. Fortunately for me, while the players in the 2 gaming groups I'm part of have differing tastes in board and RPG games, all of them have moved beyond the 'Munchkin' stage of gaming thankfully.
>>
>>52496530

It's arkham horror except with (awesome) cheesy photo artwork.

Mechanics are antiquated (maybe even more than arkham horror itself)
Theme is great. You can never fault Flying Frog with theme.
Depth is entirely absent. Mindless dice rolling and card reading.
Replayability is high, with lots of different events many characters to play as, multiple "big bads" to defeat and a plethora of expansions.

Basically, if you can deal with HARDCORE AMERITRASH and if you got players that really can immerse themselves in theme. It's tons of fun. If you're looking for a mechanically sound game, you're going to hate it.

>>52496667

He's still very open to everything I present to him. I have a diverse collection that has lots of ameritrash but also quite a few euros and we have fun playing a little bit of everything.

Somehow, he still enjoys playing munchkin. Whatcha gonna do ? He knows I dislike Munchkin so I rarely get to play it more than once a year. Thank fuck.
>>
>>52492713
It's a very good light-medium euro, very easy ti learn.
Maybe the only issue is being more tactical than strategy focused
>>
>>52496724
thanks
>>
>>52496724
That's no so bad when they're open to other things. I've met a few players who just couldn't get beyond the 'Munchkin' / 'Exploding Kittens' level of board gaming. I'll freely admit that once in a while my group still plays Talisman, but none of us claim it's a good game mechanically speaking.
>>
>>52497096

Yeah it's ok to enjoy a game even when the mechanics are a bit rubbish.

I mean I love Shadows of Brimstone but it's completely fucked mechanics wise.

My main issue with Munchkin is how long it is for what it is. A card game with cards that can be funny maybe once that should play in under 20 minutes.
>>
>>52497136
SoB is fucked on the crunch end? Aww, I was really looking forward to picking that up some day. If it's shit tho I doubt I ever will.
>>
>>52497221

Well, it's the most ameritrash thing ever. Roll to move, roll for darkness, roll for events, roll for monster spawn, roll for attack, roll for defense, roll for corruption... roll roll roll roll and reroll some more with your unspent grit points. There's a little bit of tactics as to where you and your friends take positions to attack, how you want to spread loot, but it's mostly about the emergent storytelling. It's a game where just about everything can happen and with a little imagination you can construct great stories for your characters.

Once again. I love it. It's possibly my favorite game ever, despite being quite rubbish.
>>
>>52483212
>>52483354
Aside from arguing about what's "the best deckbuilder", how is star realms? I've been thinking about getting it and the core set is so cheap that it's really tempting
>>
>>52497543
You can try the free app first before deciding on the purchase.
>>
>>52497572
Thanks friend
>>
Are the dnd board games any good?
>>
>>52497690
They're spoken of with some fondness around here, wrath of ashardalon is considered the best.
>>
>>52497690

They're alright. Mostly dice rolling mindless fun mind you.

I think temple of elemental evil is the strongest entry. There's a new one coming out soon I believe.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (27KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
27KB, 300x300px
>>52497336
I'm not sure all my players would like that but it does sound fun. Is the leveling up mechanics worth a damn? I've read reviews this is a pretty solid game all around. I don't mind archaic mechanics at all. In fact I rather prefer them.

This is prob what I'm getting next or empires at sea. I'm torn, torn, torn. This looks wicked af!!
>>
>>52497757
Woa just makes me want to play 4e d&d which is better in every way. I hear castle of Ravenloft is better but haven't played it any yet but I do plan on getting it someday. It just sounds fun, if it's actually hard.
>>
>>52497796

Leveling is great. You have skilltrees with new abilities to choose from and shit. The orphan class is particularly good, you get to level up as an orphan (somewhat weak character) but once you've completed your sidequest (like avenging your family that was killed by a bunch of monsters) you get to pick another class and can level up as both an orphan and that new class you've picked. not an efficient choice, but once again, great storytelling.
>>
>>52497543
>>52497662
Personally, I would also recommend Cthulhu Realms over Star Realms. They're similar in that the main thing is that certain mechanics are tied to certain factions/colors, e.g.: in Star Realms, trashing mechanics are tied to red, draw mechanics are tied to yellow, etc. So getting a good deck going is usually simply getting the same colors, with a small spattering of others. Star Realms also has plenty of expansions if you wish to go further with it.

The lines are somewhat blurred in Cthulhu Realms however, and while there are still some restricted mechanics, the restricted mechanics usually combo into a restricted mechanic of another faction, which encourages you to buy multiple colors (e.g: yellow has the discard mechanic, purple has the draw mechanic BUT requires a discard to fire). It is however quite new and doesn't have any expansions, though it does have 4 player capability built in.

I think the weakness for both of the two Realms games (Hero Realms exist, but I haven't played it yet) is that it isn't very hard to get a good deck going and start doing silly things, which means whoever buys the stronger cards first usually wins. You can mitigate it slightly by revealing the top card of the deck face up, but the games certainly don't feel like a challenging mental puzzle beyond deciding the order of combo triggers and trying to get your whole deck on the table in a single turn.
>>
>>52497690
Tyrants of the Underdark is pretty fun. I never hear anyone talk about it. Probably my favorite of the deckbuilders I've played.
>>
>>52497900
GF9 is one of the best amerittash designers. Not everything they make is brilliant but it almost always does a good job of accomplishing what they set out to do.
>>
>>52497690
Assault of the Giants is something I lust after, but I'm a shill for minis and asymmetry
>>
when will millenium blades be available in europe.
>>
>>52498337
Amazon
>>
>>52492713
One of the best games I've ever played. Make sure that you have a big group
>>
>>52498337
Wouldn't the most logical solution be to email the game publisher? After all, they'll have the absolute answer to that question.
>>
>>52500026
>>52499629
not him but i was wondering which of all the fucking expansions/promos are worthwhile?

also i might have remembered they where gonna do another kickstarter or was i just dreaming that?
>>
>>52500393
They did one for the reprint, but it's over now. And it depends what you're looking for. Most of them only provide Promo sets. The Set Rotation expansion is worth it, it adds a bunch of new sets and a co-op/solo mode. Of the mini-expansions, Card Fusion Chaos adds two new characters, and Bosses adds new red sets.
>>
File: IMG_2194.jpg (89KB, 730x524px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2194.jpg
89KB, 730x524px
Hi, all. I was pointed here from an Anon in the PDF share thread.

Does anyone know where I can find a scan of the old Oregon Trail board game by Fantasy Games Unlimited?
>>
>>52501410
Sorry, I don't know on that one. Also, you might have to repost this in the next thread as this one is close to the bump limit. Hope you find what you're looking for.
>>
>>52501410
I've never heard of that one, sorry
>>
File: 1476207497803.jpg (365KB, 1342x1342px) Image search: [Google]
1476207497803.jpg
365KB, 1342x1342px
Hey guys, wondering how the new Warhammer quest is? Having a look at buying it. Used to play the old one when I was a lot younger but I'm unsure if the new one is worth it or not. Obviously I wouldn't buy it from games workshop, just linking it for those who haven't seen it.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Warhammer-Quest-Silver-Tower-EN
>>
>>52446860
this weekend is spring break where I live, every night is game night.
>>
>>52495445
Mage Knight.
>>
>>52507729
Nice!!
Thread posts: 304
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.