[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Bad fantasy world maps What makes a bad fantasy world map?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 77

File: image-20170322-31217-3p4bxk.jpg (144KB, 754x481px) Image search: [Google]
image-20170322-31217-3p4bxk.jpg
144KB, 754x481px
>Bad fantasy world maps

What makes a bad fantasy world map?
>>
>>52428960
Lack of dedication towards making an interesting world for players to interact with
>>
>>52428960

Geographical and climate-related impossibilities (unless explained with a satisfactory degree of fantasy bullshit), regions that exist solely to wear a hat (the snow land, the evil land, the land of knights, etc), illogical and arbitrary nation borders.
>>
>>52428998
>illogical and arbitrary nation borders

Why would these be bad? They exist in real life.
>>
>>52428998
>illogical and arbitrary nation borders.
Belgium and Austria are still things, aren't them?
>>
>>52428998
How lenient are you with unlikely climates? Like, say I guide my players to an arid region, and mention offhand that the place gets 100% of its rainfall over the course of three days each year, almost a foot of water each day?
>>
>>52429555
If you would show that in houses and people having adapted to an ungodly monsoon, and magical tricks or engineering genius applied to agriculture, you get away with that easily. Just make a list of results from the causes you think of and try explaining the results of them for as deep your players / clients would think.
>>
>>52429400

Sorta, but most borders have some connection to geological features--bodies of water, mountains, that sort of thing.
>>
>>52429555
If it works for your game, it's good. Why do you need acceptance from an anonymous grognard online?
>>
File: Map Eragon.jpg (1MB, 1651x1065px) Image search: [Google]
Map Eragon.jpg
1MB, 1651x1065px
>>52428960
There is no "ONE" quality or fault that make something shit, but I will still give you one type of bad map: map that are just a list of places the heroes will go through, like some sort of cheap stage selection screen.
For example, think of the world of warcraft map. It serves its gameplay purposes, but precisely: every place is either a quest hub or quest objective zone. Also the Stormwind realm probably shouldn't be one city and 4 villages.
Or somewhat pic related, were almost every points on the map serve a purpose at one point in the story and probably will be visited by one character.
There is little to no background, just set-pieces.

A good fantasy world must look like it may exist independently of any one specific story that happen inside it.
Well they are exceptions though, like mythological stories.
>>
>>52429621
Communal living at the highest elevations of the area, centered around structures that look like hurricane shelters. Locals casually refer to "rivers" that are bone-dry 95% of the year. If you do any kind of mining or excavation, you had better do it on a lakebed or riverbed, because the local druids will whip up a mob to lynch you if you dig through the grasses on hills and inclines that prevent mudslides. Farmers are so busy planting in the days after the monsoon that it's almost impossible to do anything else. The best places for wells and the best places for shelter are often not the same, so there are these water-hauling caravans with amazing infrastructure that always completely vanishes in the week leading up to the monsoon.
>>
>>52429772
To be fair, there is probably a whole lot more to Azeroth than portrayed on the map and in game. I mean, some of the villages are literally three houses. It is a video game from 2004 after all.
>>
File: sea.jpg (218KB, 743x600px) Image search: [Google]
sea.jpg
218KB, 743x600px
rate my map please.
>>
>>52429822
I actually like the shoreline even if it's a blatant not-Europe.
>>
File: 1427465221336.jpg (21KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
1427465221336.jpg
21KB, 240x320px
>>52429832
>>52429832
I knew the people on /tg/ would instantly know it's Europe.

I basically based my continent on 14th - early 15th century Europe.

no one has figured it out despite doing quite a few games in it.
>>
>>52429819
That's most certainly the case, but it gave me a convenient extreme example.
Like I said, it serves its gameplay purposes, the logics behind it are very different to just worldbuilding.
>>
How about Creation, the default setting of Exalted 2e? You have a giant mountain in the literal center of the world, that goes all the way up to "the Pole of Earth" and past the point where height has any meaning, a Pole of Wind in the North that produces more and more wind chill the closer you get to it, a Pole of Fire in the South that leads to hotter, more arid land until you reach a literal wall of fire, and poles to the East and West (I forget which is which) that also lead to increasingly bizarre terrain as you go further out? I can't remember if Water is East or West, but as you go out you get more rivers and swamps, then archipelagoes, then individual islands, then finally a fuckhueg ocean.
>>
>>52429893
You're not for real right?
>>
>>52428960

>clearly betrays it is just a random generated cloud pattern
>elevation just raises to mountains in the center of every landmass, like continents are pillowshaded
>continents are shaped to fit the rectangular map format
>format doesn't leave map features enough border space
>uniformly spaced land masses
>uniformly spaced cities, disregarding geography
>identical sized countries, always contain similar number of features
>rivers running ocean to ocean
>scale/climate zones indicate continent, features on it spaced and scaled like regional map
>unpleasing linework, no fractal forms
>default fading out photoshop brush that doesn't look like anything is used
>everything is a wobbly blotch
>doesn't convey any information/lack of features
>style of elements clashes
>just a wonky copy of earth/europe/US etc
>font unreadable
>every place is copy pasted from another work
>landforms repeat in absolute identical manner
>>
>>52429783
If the monsoon is predictable, farmers would probably have temporary constructions in the fertile plains for most the year and only take them off when the monsoon is near.
>>
I think all fantasy maps must be
>aesthetically pleasing
>geographically plausible (magic is a lazy excuse unless it's absolutely essential for the world)
>enough variety to be interesting
>doesn't just throw in one of every biome in the world for pcs to visit
>doesn't copy Middle Earth
>Names are unique and not generic (southforest) or obvious Middle Earth copies (see: Eragon map)

>>52429921
So just a minor twist on the generic cold north, desert south, exotic east, temperate west thing every map has?
>>
File: wostmapever.jpg (155KB, 898x960px) Image search: [Google]
wostmapever.jpg
155KB, 898x960px
Usually people making them too big and putting too much shit on them.
>>
>>52428971
/Thread
>>
>>52428960
Inkarnate.
>>
File: Guess what planet I am.jpg (71KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
Guess what planet I am.jpg
71KB, 736x414px
I like using topographical maps.
>>
File: Google Maps-Vacaville CA.png (4MB, 1910x934px) Image search: [Google]
Google Maps-Vacaville CA.png
4MB, 1910x934px
I was lazy in my last D&D campaign. Just used google maps on my town and transposed the weather patterns as needed. Wound up being one of the best campaigns ever.
>>
Mercator.
>>
>>52428960
>every coast is a jagged fractal nightmare, dissolving into a clusterfuck of tiny daggerlike islands
>every coast is perfectly smooth and undulating
>land terrain stops at the arbitrary border of the continent (e.g. Himalaya-tier range hits ocean and just stops, doesn't bend away or descend)
>never a note of hot springs, naptha pits, moors, or anything less generic than "forest"
>no indication that the population actually interfaces with natural resources, apart from farming in convenient grasslands
>most of the map is made of sparse farming communities seperated by expanses of unfarmed grassland, which exist despite every indication that the climate is oceanic/european and should be forested
>giant untouched wilderness forest with pleasant climate, surrounded by well populated farming communities
>mountains are always just a series of peaks, rather than a mixture of ridge, fold, highland, etc. — just one cone after another
>islands or major terrain features have no interaction or discernable relationship with one another
>everything is flat unless there is a mountain, in which case it always rises like a wall
>no recognition given to passes, straits, oases, or other important trade landmarks
>no recognition given to major holy sites
>no variation in climate and/or ecosystem despite major differences in latitude, longitude, height, distance from sea etc.
>fear of letting some things be large and uniform, or unexplored
and finally
>place names all from same language, despite large scale of map, with clear etymology
>place names from only "common" and "exotic" (elvish, old tongue...) with no melding together
>>
>>52429400
They exist in real life, because we have technology required to make them and political climate allowing for their existence. Not to mention they exist almost solely in places that were previously extremely sparsely populated or are effects of wars over sparsely populated areas OR bunch of faggots just took a ruler and draw borders of their colonies/liberated states based on "I think we should put the line here". And those mostly happen when there were no natural borders to use.

So no, nonsensical borders on maps ALWAYS look bad. Especially if you end up with a straight line going through, say, mountain ranges or rivers. That's just shit-tier world building and map making.

>>52429489
Belgium has borders based either on natural boundaries or cultural ones. And almost entire Austrian border is based on mountain or at least hill ranges.
>>
>>52430488
Reverse - making them too small and overcrowding then.
And absolutely worst - huge-ass map with barely any features on it. You end up with "small" countries in size of half of Europe, that have absolutely zero geo, bio or climate diversity, hell, entire continents of this shit and improbable or just plain impossible features, like a Dry Desert (intentional capital letters) directly going into a fucking Dark Jungle and/or Lush Plains of Farmlandia, with absolutely ZERO features between them that could at least try to justify this shit.
>>
File: The Ocean's Grasp.jpg (183KB, 1349x1037px) Image search: [Google]
The Ocean's Grasp.jpg
183KB, 1349x1037px
I keep promising myself that some day I'll figure out how to do decent maps instead of just for-reference shit like this.

>>52431274
>every coast is a jagged fractal nightmare, dissolving into a clusterfuck of tiny daggerlike islands
More than anything I want to solve this, because chaotically pretty coastlines make my dick hard.

>>52430790
This looks super dope as well.
>>
>>52428971
This so much. Nobody cares if you've perfectly replicated plate tectonics or have 100% accurate climate patterns or whatever. What is there to actually do in your world?
>>
>>52429822
>apostrophes
Kill yourself and try again
>>
>>52431274
>>every coast is a jagged fractal nightmare, dissolving into a clusterfuck of tiny daggerlike islands
So... you don't like dalmatine and fiord type of shoreline?
Because those things exist IRL and are pretty "popular" land features. Popular enough to be a fucking classes of shoreline by itself.

>most of the map is made of sparse farming communities seperated by expanses of unfarmed grassland, which exist despite every indication that the climate is oceanic/european and should be forested
Let's bring it step further, shall we?
>huge empty and fertile plains
>somehow not colonised like mad by those farmers
>somehow no traces of nomadic lifestyle (daily reminder that your average highlanders, regardless if Scots, French or fucking Georgian [Caucassus, not US] were nomads by default or at least were acting like nomads herding their stock)
>>
>>52428971
>>52431439
Fucking this and basically /thread

I was once working on a homebrew setting with bunch of guys from Geo department of my uni. Fucking perfect map, the Bio students helped with climate, foliage and shit like that.
Who cares, if the setting itself was just bland heartbreaker and people using it were basically bunch of murderhobos doing dungeon crawl
>>
File: Hobo-Quest - Overworld.png (3MB, 2530x1567px) Image search: [Google]
Hobo-Quest - Overworld.png
3MB, 2530x1567px
Never got around finishing it as the run ended in hiatus, but either way, rate my map.
>>
>>52431478
I know that coasts like that exist, it's just jarring when the entire map ends up looking like a shattered pane of glass. You just don't see that on a continental scale. Even the Canadian arctic and Austronesia hold some general form and flow, instead of radiating out in some insane fractal parody of the mainland.

Likewise there are also large stretches of relatively smooth coastline, like in Brazil. But even then, when you look closer you realize it's broken up by countless capes and estuaries, and it's held together as a singular form juxtaposed against the Carribean and the fjords of the Southern Cone, instead of massing together with other giant smooth protruding shapes to form some amoebic orgy of a map.

My gripe isn't that those patterns are used, but that in many maps they're the only pattern shown at all.
>>
>>52431810
... why there is that water in the middle of nowhere? Since I have only wild guess about everything, it looks like you've placed a lake in the midle of highland, with no justification whatsoever.
Even worse if that pinkish color is supposed to represent not highland, but fucking desert, but let's hope you didn't fuck up this bad
Also, if river is big enough to be "mappable", it can't run from nowhere to nowhere, unless extreme evaporation is a factor.
>>
Crossposting:
>>52416279
>>
File: Full Map.png (347KB, 1400x1464px) Image search: [Google]
Full Map.png
347KB, 1400x1464px
>>52431810
and the full world map. it was a sandbox exploration of the 'recently' discovered southern continent.

>>52432201
it's a huge ass oasis, it's actually connected to a vast world of underwater cave systems, like the rest of the continent.
>Also, if river is big enough to be "mappable", it can't run from nowhere to nowhere, unless extreme evaporation is a factor.
it runs from some small-ish mountains to a tiny fertile strip, in slightly greener. it's not perfect or anything, it was my first attempt at something 'coherent', so i might've fuck it bad.
>>
>>52432026
Importance of a feature is what determines mapability. Look up a map of the Arabian peninsula and see how many wadis they map, despite them being dry 360 days a year. The rivers in the map could be like the Syr and Amu Darya that used to feed into the Aral Sea but because of cotton farming now mostly dry up before they reach it.

I can't account for the lake, it might be a paricularly massive oasis or endorrheic lake fed by seasonal streams from those mountains above it. Lake Tchad exists between the Sahara and the Sahel, so it's not impossible.
>>
>>52431399
Yo tru. Smaller map with a medium amount of interesting features (generated with players) that can be added to and zoomed out if necessary a best.
>>
>>52432333
Meant for
>>52432201
But I guess the author already answered anyway
>>
File: how2maps.png (1MB, 535x3450px) Image search: [Google]
how2maps.png
1MB, 535x3450px
>>
>>52432365
Or just use fractal generator with a shape you define early on. Exactly same result.
>>
>>52429888
>no one has figured it out
Have they seen the map? Are they literal retards?
>>
>>52429921
It's a mythic map though, not an accurate one.
>>
>>52429945
Like how the Ancient Egyptians used to handle the inundation of the Nile.
>>
>>52431441
I just assumed it was a troll
>>
>>52432365
God, I hate this style
>yo, do this fuckin' thing
Fuck right off, spastic
>>
how would you rate my map /tg/?
it's too big to post here.
https://gifyu.com/images/VelikaJebenaMapacc8f3.jpg

here it is
>>
>>52432681
They could be just Americans, you know
>>
>>52432963
I've got a message for you

Ruchasz psa, kiedy sra
>>
>>52432681
maybe they are americans or something.
>>
>>52430790
It's Venus obviously.
>>
File: map.png (358KB, 824x660px) Image search: [Google]
map.png
358KB, 824x660px
Welcome to Earf.
>>
>>52431329
>They exist in real life, because we have technology required to make them and political climate allowing for their existence.
Have you ever looked at a map of the Holy Roman Empire? Enclaves and exclaves fucking everywhere, countries nearly but not quite encircling each other. What is often referred to as border gore has occured throughout history.
>>
File: Area around Durban 1.jpg (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Area around Durban 1.jpg
1MB, 1024x768px
Rate my map !
>>
File: 1455861289116.jpg (134KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1455861289116.jpg
134KB, 1920x1080px
>>52434506
>blueberry river
>>
>>52428971
This, oh this so very much.
>>
>>52434506
Kraken in lake sounds like a fun adventure.
>>
>>52434681
if your lake doesn't have a kraken, then why bother, to be quite honest.
>>
>>52434506
>Kraken in puddle
>>
>>52429888
>I basically based my continent on 14th - early 15th century Europe.

As opposed to 21st century Europe?
>>
>>52430034
>Names are unique and not generic (southforest)
But this is actually how places are named.
>>
>>52433756

This isn't Earth, where's America?
>>
>>52432895
>God, I hate this style
No, you don't. You've just seen it a couple of times, and you think you've discovered the next big thing for /tg/ to hate on. You want it to be like industrial necromancers, unrealistic maps or fun, all things we once used to embrace, but started to hate because they got popular.
>>
>>52430034
A lot of place names are generic.
Australia is derived from "southern land."
Austria is "eastern borderlands"
Bahamas are "the shallows"
Bahrain, "two seas"
Cameroon, "shrimp"
Canada, "village"
Cabo Verde, "green cape"
Chad, "lake"
Costa Rica, "rich coast"
Cotê d'Ivoire, "ivory coast"
Cuba, "abundant fertile land"
East Timor, "Eastern East Island"
Ecuador, "equator"
Eritrea, "Red Sea land"
Guatemala, "forest"
Guyana, "land of many waters"
Haiti, "mountainous land"
Honduras, "depths"
Iceland, obvious
Ireland, "fertile place"
Italy, "land of calves"
Jamaica, "land of springs"
Japan, "how about sunrise land?"
Korea, "lofty walled city"
Kosovo, "field of blackbirds"
Kuwait, "fortress by the water"
Liberia, "freedom"
Luxembourg, "little fortress"
Maldives, "palace islands"
Mali, "hippopotamus"
Malta, "honey"
Micronesia, "small islands"
Monaco, "single dwelling"
Montenegro, "black mountain"
Namibia, "area where there is nothing"
Nauru, "I go to the beach"
Netherlands, "lowlands"
Norway, "northern way"
Pakistan, "land of the pure"
Panama, "place of many fish"
Portugal, either "beautiful port" or "hot port"
Rwanda, "land"
Samoa, either "holy center" or "moa place"
Sierra Leone, "lion mountains"
Singapore, "lion city"
Spain is "land of hyraxes" (which they mistook rabbits for)
Sri Lanka, "holy island"
Togo, "by the sea"
Tonga, "south"
Tobago (of Trinidad and), "tobacco"
Tuvalu, "eight islands"
Vanuatu, "our land"

And most of the remaining countries are named after named geographic features, a deity, a person, a tribe, or what more powerful outsiders thought the tribe looked like. And a couple concepts and adjectives.
>>
>>52433756
Should've just called it 'Arth'. People probably wouldn't even notice.
>>
>>52428960
Lack of NPC, towns, real time events and proper historical context (in universe)
>>
>>52428971
How do you make a really interesting world? Do you fill it with a bunch of races or magic or weapons or what?
>>
>>52434829
Norway hands down the coolest, and makes the best maps
>>
>>52434907
Litter it with Draugr tombs LOL TODD XD
>>
File: HxHworld.png (575KB, 3072x2043px) Image search: [Google]
HxHworld.png
575KB, 3072x2043px
HxH, Togashi put no effort in it
>>
>>52434829
The Swedish word for Sweden is basically a bastardisation of "Kingdom of the Swedes", 'Swedes' itself being a bastardisation of the tribal name of the Sviar, which is itself a bastardisation of some old Germanic word for 'Self'.

So basically, Sweden = Me-land

Doesn't get much more generic than that.
>>
>>52428960

I don't know what makes a bad one, but I can tell you how to easily make a good one.

>take map of earth that shows countries and borders clearly
>cut out each country, then re-arrange them
>done
>>
>>52431086
How did that work? Turn every hill into a mountain range, every pond at the golf course into an ocean?
>>
>>52434829
>Panama, "place of many fish"
and butterflies, where did you find this?
it's nice and mostly accurate for those i know.
>>
>>52434960
He even stole Ulthuan from Deadhammer.
>>
>>52434960
this triggers me
>>
File: 1490474725170.png (92KB, 270x257px) Image search: [Google]
1490474725170.png
92KB, 270x257px
>>52432365
>yo do this fuckin' shit
>bitch then FUCKIN DO THIS FUCKIN NEXT
That person needs to neck themself
>>
File: map-of-countries.jpg (689KB, 4500x2234px) Image search: [Google]
map-of-countries.jpg
689KB, 4500x2234px
>>52434829
>>
File: Tritia terra.jpg (2MB, 3812x2540px) Image search: [Google]
Tritia terra.jpg
2MB, 3812x2540px
>>52428960
>What makes a bad fantasy world map?
When I make it.
>>
File: worldmap v05s.jpg (2MB, 4190x2250px) Image search: [Google]
worldmap v05s.jpg
2MB, 4190x2250px
>>52434960
I got you famme
>>
>>52431274
To be fair to place names on a map, its likely because that map is using the names the culture that produced said map uses for those places. For example the British and Americans call Germany "Germany" where as in France its called "Allemagne" and in Poland its called "Niemcy". The place name issue really only becomes a thing if the natives always use the same name for their homeland as the culture that made your map uses.
>>
>>52435266
it's awful
>>
File: 1490428799438.jpg (454KB, 1600x899px) Image search: [Google]
1490428799438.jpg
454KB, 1600x899px
>>52434907
For me its a combination of people acting like people and tidbits of oddity and weirdness happening. Its not all "oh god its all depressing here, blah blah blah, kill raiders please, blah."
>>
File: h3RSOhF.png (719KB, 1400x9024px) Image search: [Google]
h3RSOhF.png
719KB, 1400x9024px
>>52435443
>>
>>52434907
for me it has to feel organic to some point but have enough wonder in it so it doesn't feel like bad historical fiction.

ancient ruins, magical forests, spooky swamps different cultures (and i mean, make-an-effort different, not just lol elves are japan) worth interacting with and solid motivations for your pcs to explore such world, as in the end, the world should support your character's stories, while hopefully being able to survive without them.
>>
File: Electoral College.gif (24KB, 470x336px) Image search: [Google]
Electoral College.gif
24KB, 470x336px
>>52429720
Yeah but Geography is not the sole consideration, there's a reason in the US the further west you go the larger and more geometric the states borders are.
>>
>>52435538
Yeah exactly!
Its almost like the first thing people tell new people that they don't even speak a common language with is their name and where they're from resulting in all sorts of hilarious misunderstandings that are never ever corrected.
>>
File: TheTrueWorld.png (297KB, 576x560px) Image search: [Google]
TheTrueWorld.png
297KB, 576x560px
>>52434960
This is actually just a tiny archipelago btw
>>
>>52435665
this image makes very little sense to be but i've never read this manga, i'll assume it can't be much worse than say one piece's or god forbid, toriko's.
>>
File: HxH_c344_p15-16.png (2MB, 1570x1145px) Image search: [Google]
HxH_c344_p15-16.png
2MB, 1570x1145px
>>52435724
Oh, it's not that bad.
>>
>>52434829
The native name for New Zealand (Aotearoa) translates into "land of the long white cloud"

l always though it was a pretty neat name desu
>>
File: 1489923003234.png (2MB, 1286x1875px) Image search: [Google]
1489923003234.png
2MB, 1286x1875px
>>52435623
>Wyoming, the state with a population less than the city I live in, still has 3 electoral votes

Will never fail to not trigger me
>>
>>52435901

>Mob rule is a good thing

Fuck off libshit.
>>
>>52435912
>>52435901
Just fuck already.
>>
>>52435901
I mean, isn't that put in place so that the coasts don't run the entire country, though?
>>
>>52435955
i really doubt the founders were worried about the coastal populace running the country when literally every state was coastal at the time
>>
>>52435912
>mob rule is bad
You cant prove either you dipshit
>>
>>52431405
That's Earthsea you lazy fuck.
>>
>>52431810
Why are Hokkaido and Iceland so close together? Why does Iceland have a nutsack?
>>
>>52435955
they've been going with it so long they can't understand it's retarded by the civilized world's standards. it's normal in multiparty countries to have minority rule, given the winning threshold shrinks with every meaningful competing party, but it's kind of bonkers to have a super minorty ruling even if another party represented more people.

but america is not a democracy, it's a republic.
>>
>>52436167
That's not the entire setting, that's an island chain five times the size of Bermuda.
>>
>>52435955
Yes it is, where "coastal" means "population density."

>>52435979
Read a fucking history book sometime. The electoral college and the bicameral legislature were specifically designed to balance the interests of larger states (Virginia, etc.) against smaller states (Rhode Island, etc.). This was brilliant and has actually worked really well. Even after the Civil War the South got reintegrated within a few decades.
>>
>>52436179
>iceland
huh, i never noticed the similarity, i did notice the hokkaido similarity though, also it ends into chile/argentina.
>>
>>52432290
>>52436240
>>52436179
it's more like a fused abomination between south america whole with hokkaido.
>>
>>52432895
>>52435163
you old and lame yo
>>
>>52433805
>Missing the point this bad
Which part of "political climate allowing for their existence" you didn't understand?
And the same shit applied to pretty much any feudal and semi-feudal country, you dipshit
>>
>>52436236
>Read a fucking history book sometime.
I've read far more than you, idiot. Balance between large and small states was a footnote in the reasoning behind the creation of the electoral college. Did you even read Federalist Paper no.68, you shitposting fuck?
>>
>>52430034
>Unique names
Son, I present you Chinese naming system:
South from the River
North from the River
Western Mountains
North Plain
Yellow River
Fifth Mountain
North Upland
South Upland

Can you figure out which Chinese provinces and other famous landmarks are those? Chinese names in geography are so fucking uncreative, you need to specify WHICH "South Mountains" do you mean, because there are almost 20 different mountain chains all over China and South-East Asia going under that name.

So go fucking figure
>>
>>52436335
That's kinda sad, but Middle Kingdom sounds kinda good.
>>
>>52435008
Poland. Or Polska. From Polanie (the proto-Polish tribe). And that comes from "pole", meaning "field" (agriculture). So it's literally "Land of fields". And it makes such sense even in modern Polish.
Bonus round - in times of Polanie, most of their native lands were thick woodland. The name was pointing out that despite heavy forestation, they still bother with being farmers. So the name was originally ironic rather than genuine (Poland was a major grain exporter since late 15th century)
>>
>>52436378
makes sense how the germans wanted it as a backyard in ww2.
>>
>>52436374
The Middle Kingdom is also uncreative as fuck, as it originally was referring to the central, "royal" province controlled by Zhou dynasty. The term then simply evolved to refer to all of China when unification happend, but kept the original meaning of "middle" in the same time.
But yeah, at least this one could evolve with meaning. But the ethymology for it is solely based on the fact it was originally just "central kingdom", not "our great empire in the centre of the world, surrounded by barbarians, mountains, jungles and ocean"
>>
>>52436374
It's actually pretty funny, because you have "Southern Mountains" right in the middle of China AND another one slightly south from Beijing, as they were south from the perspective of guy naming them.

Speaking of which - Beijing is literally "Northern Capital". Nanjing is - as you migh expect - "Southern Capital"

Remember - geography in Chinese is pain in the ass.
>>
>>52435236
>>52435266
What is the secret to a good coastline that doesn't look too jagged nor too flat?
>>
>>52436568
scale
maps of larger areas should have smoother coastlines
>>
>>52434829
> how about sunrise land
>>
>>52435912
>have no people
>deserve no say

You already get more than you should, boy.
>>
>>52436568
What >>52436622 said. Go search for map of Scandinavia, as a whole. Then go search for map of Bergen and surrounding area. Or Aland Islands. Suddenly the very same area looks completely different
>>
>>52436191
>retarded by the civilized world's standards
t.riggered Eurocuck
>>
>>52432201
>>52432290
Massive oasis? That's cool. My first thought was that it was an impact crater or a massive caldera
>>
>>52435211
>country named after a river
>it says River

Lame.
>>
>>52433283
>>52433409
I'm an American, and the first thing I thought was "Oh look, Europe."

I don't understand where the "Americans can't do geography" meme comes from, since every American I've met has a basic understanding of geography. We all know what every continent looks like, and we can point out major countries in those continents
>>
>>52436978
>Other countries with electoral college systems include Burundi, Estonia,[7] Kazakhstan, Madagascar, Myanmar, Pakistan, Trinidad and Tobago[8] and Vanuatu.

not a very convincing set of countries if you ask me.
>>
>>52437192
Because that river's name is "river".
>>
File: DD penumb post.jpg (3MB, 5166x3894px) Image search: [Google]
DD penumb post.jpg
3MB, 5166x3894px
>>52436568
I start with a really rough scribble traced over a png of a coastline.
use a couple photoshop filters such as "cutout" to simplify the hand drawn outline and smooth it out.
>>
>>52437218
Let's not forget about timeless classic!
>USA is not the only country using metric
Because when in doubt, it's always good to be part of elite club consisting of 3 countries, two of which (Burma and Liberia) being torn by a civil war for past 60 years and lacking both resources and stable government to do anything about units that they officially use (because entire Burma runs on metric anyway)
>>
>>52437209
i don't know, i've met plenty of, lets say, "geographically impaired" americans in my life.

it doesn't help that i live in a small country in a small region, so either people know nothing about it or get it most wrong.
>>
>>52436144
I hear you, fuck minorities and smaller groups, off with the heads of the opposition. Direct democracies would never follow the path of Athens and mobs will never be unjust in their proceedings as they were in the French reign of terror.

Even not being a big fan of Socrates I'm not a fan of the ideals that killed him. Seriously the only thing that makes a form of government good is when the rulers are wise and good themselves, so kings, parliaments, dictators, and councils can all be good forms of government in specific instances. If half your population are wise and good, mob rule will work out fine, but that's just not as likely as a smaller more selective method of rulership, just as it's not likely that every firstborn son of a king will be wise and good all down the line. Large interests tend to be able to act in their own interests, but to allow smaller interests their part in the say so they aren't totally powerless is the point of dividing them all into units like states and counties. In the Roman republic, which was the period which saw the massive expansion of the Roman influence into the Empire which hardly grew, votes for government appoint were cast by specific numbers of military units composed of a single class (which itself depended on the ability to arm oneself to a certain degree) and geographic tribe, ensuring the units had proportional say to their role and place in society and not their population, their unified interests and importance forming competing masses regardless of individual misgivings. The will of the individual isn't ever of concern for the governing: it was the will of various powerful units of people, voting blocks, states and such, and not the majority itself which is the deciding factor, and so it is in America.
>>
>>52428960
When you could ignore it completely and it wouldn't make a lick of difference as to how you can appreciate the world building.
>>
>>52435211
>>52436335
>Vietnam
Holy fuck, it now makes so much sense... After all Chinks were trying to conquer that place at least once per dynasty.
>>
>>52437315
this is weird, my country officially runs on metric but as an engineer, they teach us to use imperial because most materials, norms and providers work with us standards.

this in turn makes our poor lives ones of having to mentally convert from one system to the other the weirdest ass units of measurements americans seem to love.
>>
>>52437339
>What is Switzerland
Oh, right, I forgot - you would first need to have a culture and access to high education for all people. Two things America lack.

Now go back to >>>/pol/ where you belong with your post
>>
>>52437411
>Engineer
>Most materials, norms and providers work with US standards
So you are Canadian and have to deal with this fuckery simply because having a retarded neighbour? Pretty lame if you ask me.
>>
>>52437302
>Astorga
HAH!
A city called Astorga actually exists in Spain and is is similar position (North West but that map is horizontally inverted)

Actually it seems like you picked two cities and fused their names Guadalajara+Segovia=Guadagovia
>>
File: 1460588184574.png (260KB, 498x457px) Image search: [Google]
1460588184574.png
260KB, 498x457px
>>52435211
>frizzy hair new blacks
>>
>>52437424
>>What is Switzerland
A bunch of evil, cowardly, ambitionless watchmakers that have done nothing of note for centuries.
>>
>The map is just [real life continent] but slightly different
Not sure if I love or hate this.
>>
>>52437441
i'm from panama, even if we inherited all worst from the usa, we still ended up better than our shit cousins. denying their influence is pretty dumb and plenty of people here do so, but you gotta give credit when credit is due.
>>
>>52434829
>>52436335
That's all fine and dandy but I assu.e most of us speak English, and not chinese? These places sound interesting becase you wouldn't know what it means just looking at it. Name things something original then say it means north river in elvish/dwarf/whatever you want. If i was playing and everything was called "northtundra" or "westmarch" I would be very bored
>>
>>52437333
People also forget how fucking huge America is. For scale, it's about half the size of Russia. People give Americans shit for not learning foreign geographies, without realizing that a Californian learning New England geography basically is learning a foreign geography, because it so far away. From San Diego, CA to Augusta, ME is over 5,000 km. That's longer that traveling from Lisbon to Moscow. Every American has a geographical knowledge of an area the entire size of Europe, including a basic understanding of the culture, politics, and major landmarks.

We didn't learn foreign geography in any deeper detail than knowing the locations of internationally relevant countries, because most our geography lessons were focused on learning important locations in our own massive country
>>
File: hot_moms_by_emlan[1].png (294KB, 613x540px) Image search: [Google]
hot_moms_by_emlan[1].png
294KB, 613x540px
>>52436335
>Foreigners on this side of the Alps
>Foreigners on that side of the alps
>The lower land of neighbors
>The higher land of neighbors
>The land of sunrise
>The small land of sunrise
>The land of sunset
>The land of calfs
>A FUCKING WHITE BULL
Get on Rome's level
>>
>>52437565
yeah but there's bigger countries out there, with equally expansive geographies but you never hear anything about them being bad at geography, even if they probably are as well.

don't take it seriously, it's part meme, part sad reality. you can find geographically impaired people everywhere, but you have to admit that for being the 'largest power of earth' american education is not that good by international standards.
>>
>>52433304
jokes on you I'm a serb
>>
>>52437560
But names are just as dumb in English, you moron.
South Street?
George Washington road?
Martin Luther King road?
I live in Tennesee, literally
>Redbank
>Soddy Daisy
>>
File: shitty map.png (901KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
shitty map.png
901KB, 3000x2000px
Rate my first map

Made this shitty thing for a D&D game I planned the shit out of but ended up lasting two sessions. I was I think 13 at the time and thought this was a good map.
>>
>>52439035
Can't beat Butter and Egg Rd.
>>
File: map2.jpg (7MB, 5000x3750px) Image search: [Google]
map2.jpg
7MB, 5000x3750px
just keep putting cool set pieces eveywhere
>>
File: Alyssian map.png (132KB, 2000x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Alyssian map.png
132KB, 2000x1300px
Cough.
>>
>>52440054
what's happening with the perspective here
>>
File: AventurienSMALLFILE.jpg (8MB, 4225x6500px) Image search: [Google]
AventurienSMALLFILE.jpg
8MB, 4225x6500px
Have an example of a good map
>>
>>52437302
the colors make it seem like the land is the sea and the sea is land

might just be because there aren't a lot of features on the land part yet
>>
File: Avoc Lowres.png (3MB, 5000x3881px) Image search: [Google]
Avoc Lowres.png
3MB, 5000x3881px
rate my map pls
>>
>>52440180
Beautiful.
>>
>>52440180
>Silva Forest
>Forest Forest
>>
>>52440213
Thank you
>>52440245
>Implying Latin has ever been spoken by anyone in this world
>>
>>52440097
the outlines for everything are true, while the landmarks are stylized
>>
>>52440180
Apply a stroke to the lettering, unify your icons, stop using gradients and soft brushes, and desaturate everything (pick some colors that won't remind your players of those early educational flash cartoons). I don't know what you were going for with the continent borders but please don't draw in Illustrator.
>>
File: asm3d_6573578_lrg.jpg (86KB, 1280x652px) Image search: [Google]
asm3d_6573578_lrg.jpg
86KB, 1280x652px
Found this on google. What say ye? I like it but have no idea how realistic it might be.
>>
File: PlasterColoured0189_1_L.jpg (3MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
PlasterColoured0189_1_L.jpg
3MB, 3000x2000px
>>52431405
>More than anything I want to solve this, because chaotically pretty coastlines make my dick hard.

the method I use is to always have a camera to hand, and grab photos of peeling or flaking paint, plaster, rusty metal, etc.

then import them into photoshop,move them about, and trace them to form the coastline.

it works very well for getting some smooth areas like large flakes of plaster, that look like bays and smaller flaking areas form archipelagos or islands and more fractured coasts.
>>
>>52437718
>canada
Few states/provinces/territories/all the same anyways.
>russia
You don't hear slavs being bad at geography in particular because they're just bad at everything in general.
Everything important is in the western section anyways.
>choiyna
They would lose nothing if everything west from 500-1000 km of the coast line were to disappear.

Not much to learn in any other big countries afaik.
>>
>>52431405
>Gulf of Many Lampreys
>>
>>52439035
>Main Street
>Cornwall
>Bridgewater
>Bridgeport
>New Same-name-as-colonizer's-city
>>
File: Map.jpg (348KB, 1142x888px) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
348KB, 1142x888px
Rate my map. It's for obvious tribal dinosaur campaign.
>>
>>52435211
>>52434829

And of course Antarctica, "no bears"
>>
>>52441153
Why would large tree-grazers be living on mountains?
>>
>>52429720
Cultural borders, for sure.
Nations, not at all. Completely administrative and socially arbitrary.
>>
>>52429822
>What is Europe?
Are you even trying?
>Britain is Implia
Kek.
>>
>>52429921
That's mythological though, the standard rules go out the window. That's like accusing the planescape setting of not being "realistic".

>>52429940
>rivers running ocean to ocean
This is my favorite.
>>
>>52431399
If you need functional geodesic features, hide HUD/labels/borders on Google Earth.
Pick a random point.
Profit.
>>
>>52434935
High five

don't forget to include an equally large number of extinct dwarf tombs while you're at it.
>>
>>52434773
Pay attention.
It's Earf.
>Burger education
>>
>>52437339
Well that escalated quickly.

>>52437411
I can confirm that the units-conversion weirdness goes both ways, being an engineer in the US. You start to know those inches-to-mm conversions in your sleep after a while.

>weirdest ass units of measurements
Don't look at me, it was the Brits' idea. They dumped all their imperial rulers and scales out of the boat before they took off, and now we have to use them.
>>
File: map3.jpg (747KB, 2260x1673px) Image search: [Google]
map3.jpg
747KB, 2260x1673px
>>
>>52440273
If you are going to world build there should be some naming conventions instead of a bunch of random shit thrown everywhere.

Why is it called Silva? Is it the name of a person, God, town? Can we expect other Latinish names in the region?
>>
File: map114.jpg (3MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
map114.jpg
3MB, 2000x2000px
>>
File: dorado v map 2-min.jpg (1MB, 8505x5625px) Image search: [Google]
dorado v map 2-min.jpg
1MB, 8505x5625px
>>52428960
Rate my gritty sci-fi map blease

It's a coffee stained napkin some map making anon traced over
>>
>>52437718
>american education is not that good by international standards
Not disagreeing necessarily, but based on what metric? I'm a product of American public education, and I didn't see much to complain about. History classes were a bit locally-focused, perhaps, and the languages department could use some love... but not that bad all told. There's only so much info you can jam into the average kid's brain before his head pops.
>>
>>52441608
It was the name of an old Elvish hero, who formed a small group defending the town the forest encircles during one of the wars against a homebrew race, Saerens. Most of the locations in the country of Karthaa are named after somebody.
>>
>>52434829
Forgot Mexico which means
>Navel of the Moon
>>
>>52434702
what does the middle east the sqeakqual have to do with 15th century Europe?
>>
>>52432963
>https://gifyu.com/images/VelikaJebenaMapacc8f3.jpg
Impressive/10
>>
File: Greater Chile.jpg (343KB, 1685x648px) Image search: [Google]
Greater Chile.jpg
343KB, 1685x648px
>>52441600
This is some greater Chile shit on roids
>>
>>52435901
why is samurai jack so sad
>>
>>52441677
So do the elves in the region have latinish names then or can I go door to door and meet elves named Hans, Iason, Kagura, Ramses, and Billy.
>>
>>52440054
>right
you can't fool me with your 'subliminal messaging'
dumb frogposter
>>
>>52430488

love this image, thanks for bringing me back anon
>>
>>52441786
The former, most of them have very latinish names.
>>
>>
>>52434907
"Interesting" is a quality that only your players can define, as they're the ones that need to be interested.

So there's no specific answer anyone can give you. Just one sentence of advice:

>Know your audience
>>
>>52436236
>>52436315
>Balance
>coastal
not exactly

It was more FARMLAND vs. population density, with the logic following that the populace choosing to screw over large sectors of valued and important land was not a good idea. That was the argument, anyway, despite

well, then industrialization became a thing, the dustbowl happened, and the nation's (US) geography has been rearranged arbitrarily more than once.

It was also a sweetener to get all the states in on the deal due to the economic issues at the time.
>>
File: Forum_zps844c0377.jpg (653KB, 959x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Forum_zps844c0377.jpg
653KB, 959x1024px
>>52428960
>>
File: Orda and Tamlan.png (388KB, 2989x2127px) Image search: [Google]
Orda and Tamlan.png
388KB, 2989x2127px
Shit on my terrible map /tg/
>>
>>52441153
It's also obviously generated with cloud pattern
>>
>>52443266
WoW/10
>>
>>52440766
Good for murderhoboing
>>
File: 1479410172776.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1479410172776.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>52443036
What is this a map of?
>>
>>52443408
Middle-Earth turned sideways.
>>
>>52428960
Landlocked civilizations are perfectly viable!
>>
>>52429772
in the thumbnail that desert looks like face
>>
>>52437560
>Missing the point this bad
Hi, burger!

>>52437635
Same level. And those are descriptive, instead of using general geographical directions, making them at least less bland.
Then again, I remember one of the old professors always talking about "Międzyrzecze" (pol. Between rivers) and finally one of the students asked the fuck he's even talking about, since the subject is Sumeria and Mesopotamia. Cue entire auditory looking at him like a complete moron, since everyone at this point was after half a semester of classic Greek and he still didn't figure out those are the same and why.

>>52437565
>If your country is large, you don't need to know world Geo
It's not working like this, burger. At all. And just for the record - Canadian kids study world's geography. Russian kids study world's geography. Chinese kids study world's geography. American kids looks for excuses why they are dumb, instead of starting to fucking study.
But I guess that's a given when your school kids end up 37th in Math and 35th in Science, but 1st in confidence in own abilities.

>>52440104
>Good map
>Can't figure out climate
>Lack of scale makes it looks lolsrandom
>Northern side with ice, southern with deserts, rather than using all those mountain ranges to affect general humidity of entire continent
3/10. 4/10 if you don't think too much about the content.

>>52440273
>If you are dumb, then your naming conventions are even dumber
What he >>52441608 said

>>52441022
>Only America is so big and complex that learning about it alone makes you unable to learn about anything else
What was I saying about stupid excuses?
>>
>>52435797
The best part is it's cause we couldn't tell the difference between clouds and mountain tops.
>>
>>52441390
It only works if you keep it really small scale. I used once Willamette Valley this way, on bunch of Poles.
They've not only figured out it's a real-world place, but quickly realised they are in Oregon.
>>
File: first draft world map.png (3MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
first draft world map.png
3MB, 1024x768px
>>52443266
hah, you call that a shitty map?
behold this gimp-made abomination, the roughest of all rough drafts to be had.
>>
>>52441600
>1808
>Spain still not united
Why AI is so fucking inept? Spain unifies once per 20 plays. Every other unification happens roughtly 3 out of 4 times. Spain can't form itself, unless player guidance happens.
>>
>>52441621
As a guy who helped turning those coffee strains into a proper map, I'm still proud
>>
>>52441674
>On what metric
Comperative tests and evaluations with other education systems, you moron. That's how you make comparison. Like already one of the anons pointed out, your schools are utter shit at teaching anything at all, but are perfectly fine in making people confident in their ignorance. That particular test was held 5 times already. It always gave knowledge and skills results lagging in the 30s, but always giving 1st place to confidence in own skills.
What skills, if rest of the civilised world is better than you, in the same time not feeling like they know everything and fully aware of their lacks? It's like national version of Mount Stupid.

And explain us something, since you are apparently looking for cheap excuses - how does it happen that everyone else uses roughtly the same amount of hours all around the world and develop different results, using the same time effort? Magic? Or just shitty education programs vs half-decent oness?
>>
>>
>>52443266
The names are complete trash. "Tamlan"? "Ma Sye"? "Orda"? "Ahaeu"? "Vesh"? They just sound so stupid. Also it needs more bodies of water. Big old rivers and lakes.
>>
File: stupidest_map.jpg (226KB, 1080x1155px) Image search: [Google]
stupidest_map.jpg
226KB, 1080x1155px
>>52430488
Here's a slightly larger and more readable version.
>>
>>52434773
It's a perfect version of earth.
>>
>>52440766
>Sim City 4
Aw shit nigga
>>
File: 28586362.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
28586362.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>52435499
>that orc
>those huge tracts of land
>>
File: Wichura knows best.jpg (32KB, 425x340px) Image search: [Google]
Wichura knows best.jpg
32KB, 425x340px
>>52434907
>>
>>52441766
Dude new/last season just started coming out on adult swim. Go and see for yourself why he's sad.

Or y'know just watch it online.
>>
>>52435236
Are you shitting me? this is a top-tier map. Why is the forbidden sea forbidden?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
r8
>>
>>52435912
>I live in the middle of nowhere
>Therefore I should have more say in government
>>
>>52435901
Isn't 3 the minimum possible?
>>
>>52441247
Not very long ago national borders were cultural borders
>>
>>52440766
Realistic or not, that bowl with the rivers is cool
>>
>>52441153
Fossil Island is that you
>>
File: engscot_small.jpg (247KB, 612x827px) Image search: [Google]
engscot_small.jpg
247KB, 612x827px
>>52434702
13th century maps were terrabad.
>>
>>52433756
Why you hate on spain and france?
Are you dutch or what?
>>
>>52434506
>30 miles across
Whoah! Do you expect PCs to literally spend months traveling?
>>
>>52444808
Not him, but theyre called hexcrawls, broheim. They're an old school style of playing where each hex tends to have something for you to do.
>>
>>52444441
b8
>>
Pirate islands like iron islands or skellige
Conveniently shaped huge deserts
Worlds so small there is enough space for barely 5 or 6 countries, bonus points if one of those is called an empire
Mordors
Random tumors on oval continents, bonus points if those have Venice copies like Braavos
Big but weak countries with no natural borders
>>
>>52430488
The funny thing is that some of the things there are truth
>inb4: >>>/pol/
>>
>>52444911
>Conveniently shaped huge deserts
As much as I agree with your list, this is literally the only way you can have "decent" desert IRL - wast area with almost no rainfal, preferably due to combination of cold sea currents, continentalism and mountain ranges.
Kind of like Tarim Basin or Atacama.
>>
>>52444911
>Big but weak countries with no natural borders
You forgot about bonus point if they have bunch of small, but extremely warlike neighbours that neither can subdue this huge-ass country nor even bother with doing so
>>
>>52430488
I never get the English one. I mean... yeah, being an islander forces you to have a half-decent navy if you want to both keep that island for yourself and have any form of power projection.
>>
>>52432963
While it is tempting to say srbe na vrbe, that map is 8/10, would play.
>>
>>52435912
>minority rule is a good thing
Fuck off monarchist.
>>
>>52445046
I can't open it, constantly keeps getting errors. Care to repost it on imgur or something?
>>
File: map.jpg (3MB, 3000x2820px) Image search: [Google]
map.jpg
3MB, 3000x2820px
Finally have a new computer, so I can start working on this again (Old computer would chug when I tried to open it)
>>
File: How to make a terrain map.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
How to make a terrain map.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>52431405
>>
>>52432248
Anyone? Anything?
>>
>>52445198
make it yourself
>>
>>52445213
I've got it hand-drawn, if that suits you. Still makes it useless for builder, starting with the fact I don't have scanner nor cable to connect my phone to the PC and ending on such tiny detail it's a hand-drawn A2 map without hexes on it.
>>
>>52443640
Oh hey, warcraft land!
>>
>>52435236
That's a great map, anon. Don't be so hard on yourself.
Alternatively, if you knew it was good and were just fishing for compliments, I hope this distracts you from your meaningless life.
>>
File: angry behind door todd.jpg (94KB, 320x300px) Image search: [Google]
angry behind door todd.jpg
94KB, 320x300px
>>52434935
>>52441415
DELET
>>
>>52443638
>Comperative tests and evaluations [ . . . ] That particular test was held 5 times already
OK, first off, SOURCE. Numbers you may-or-may-not have just pulled straight from your ass are not a basis for an argument. Or, to translate for a younger generation, "pics or it didn't happen".

>how does it happen that everyone else uses roughtly the same amount of hours all around the world and develop different results, using the same time effort?
Man, maybe my education DID suck. I can't even begin to fathom what this sentence was intended to be.
>>
>>52440245
>Sahara Desert
>Desert Desert
>>
>>52445770
Not him, but why are you kneecapping yourself right now?
>>
>>52445770
Also not him, bave you ever heard about PISA? And while he DID pulled those numbers from his ass, they are better than actual result - in 2015 American kids were fucking 40th in math, 25th in science and 24th in reading.
While in each test US kids are always No. 1 in confidence.

Rings you a bell or you are too dull to realise you are part of a nation of morons, who regardless of their real and actual skill think about themselves as the smartest on this planet?
>>
File: 4chan 2 (Custom).jpg (4MB, 10000x5625px) Image search: [Google]
4chan 2 (Custom).jpg
4MB, 10000x5625px
>>52441621
Hey, neat, I made this!
>>
>>52441621
I've been working on a new style, cuz I can't settle on one thing for the life of me.

The map isn't done, but I'd love some critique on the style.

I'm considering creating another thread and letting people submit their maps to give me some practice and help me speed up my process again.
>>
>>52446935
Sup map friend. You still picking requests?
>>
>>52447056
Sure, I've got some time today. I'll take a few.
>>
>>52447107
Then >>52432248

Unless you want more details, then provide any means of contact
>>
>>52431399
Doesn't dry desert into dark jungle exist in SSA?
I guess it depends on how zoomed out your map is
>>
>>52441873
what? I cant see anything that looks like pepe
>>
>>52447623
I gave you directions, it's a fucking stupid reeeing frog.
>>
>>52428960
The fuck is this shit?

All the landmasses are in the south. Too much fucking water. Look at the sea on the right between the two continents, it's like they were separated or some shit. Seas don't work that way.

And what with that desert island on the left? Are you fucking with me? How can it be a desert if it is surrounded by water and close to the ice cap?

And what's with that ice covering the north? And why is there no ice on the south?

Literally retarded map fuckface.
>>
>>52437209
>We all know what every continent looks like, and we can point out major countries in those continents
As an American who's into geography I can say this is 100% wrong from personal experience.
I've even been listening to a D&D podcast on and off for a few months and only one of the players in that game noticed that a major land feature on their world map was just Ireland.
>>
>>52443408
Northern germany
>>
File: 1462909624559.jpg (83KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1462909624559.jpg
83KB, 500x500px
>>52434829
>Namibia, "area where there is nothing"
>>
File: map of remnant2.jpg (363KB, 1204x650px) Image search: [Google]
map of remnant2.jpg
363KB, 1204x650px
>>
File: new york.jpg (812KB, 2380x1500px) Image search: [Google]
new york.jpg
812KB, 2380x1500px
>>
>>52448116
Is this a pokemon region?
>>
File: Johto_HGSS.png (4MB, 1956x1316px) Image search: [Google]
Johto_HGSS.png
4MB, 1956x1316px
>>52448144
Yes.
>>
>>52440104
To be honest, Aventurien is pretty shitty, because it was made to fit all kinds of adventures in it, which means you have Vikings neighboring Renaissance Italy and two days travel you are amidst African Savannah and Amazonian rain forest.
>>
>>52431274
>moors
what the fuck even are moors
ive looked it up several times over the years and yet somehow i still dont have a clear definition
>>
>>52431515
>I was once working on a homebrew setting with bunch of guys from Geo department of my uni. Fucking perfect map, the Bio students helped with climate, foliage and shit like that.
my dream come true, and you're pissy about it
>>
>>52448436
Have you read the rest of the post?
It all didn't fucking matter. At all. Because they were running on it pulpy dungeon crawls. The map could even not exist in the first place, as it played zero role for the game.
>>
File: Book.jpg (89KB, 521x389px) Image search: [Google]
Book.jpg
89KB, 521x389px
>>52448397
>what the fuck even are moors

North Africans
>>
>>52444478
Yup, but it's still gives the people in Wyoming more say than if everyone's vote was equal.
>>
>>52448397
Moor: Hilly terrain with low vegetation, such as bushes and shrubs.
>>
>>52448397
A fancy name for English-specific type of epscific type of land formation existing predominately in England - a hilly, grassy terrain of relatively low fertility, relatively high soil moisture and useful for sheep herding at best, nothing at worst.
>>
File: STOP.png (142KB, 434x434px) Image search: [Google]
STOP.png
142KB, 434x434px
>>52434960
>Africa But Nothing Is Different
>Eurasian Continent except Spain got moved a bit
>Australia is upside-down, literally this time
>Brazil is a continent now
>>
>>52448475
so fucking teach them, god damn you whiny bastard

>>52448500
very funny
though ive been thinking about those too lately; were they just blacks, or were they like arab black mixes? or what?

>>52448598
so just bland wet hills
>>
>>52436915
>not too jagged
>use scandinavia as an example
>>
>>52444854
Not that guy you are replying, but sounds neat.
Could you explain more?
>>
>>52446935
>>52446976
Thanks for the map friend. I like the new style but I'd say blend the elevations together a bit more so the inclines look a bit more realistic, if that made sense
>>
>>52429737
>this
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastline_paradox

Does this bother anyone else?
>>
>>52446976
You mean in the areas outside of the mountains?

I haven't even touched those yet, map's far from finished.

I appreciate the feedback though. I'll work on it now, see if I can get something out for additional critique.
>>
>>52448713
Not him, but I run one. Each hex has a key location or NPC, and you have a chance of encountering them as you pass through. It's all about exploration, random encounters, and wilderness survival.
>>
>>52448697
>Asked to look at the map of Scandinavia as a whole
>Provides map of Norway, which was used as a counter-example
25th reading comprehension, right?
>>
>>52448695
>You whinny bastard
>Said the guy compleining about random anon complaining about shit group playing shit games

>>52448713
Just visit >>52410423 , which was already mentioned in this thread
>>
>>52449079
Hillarious isn't it, that both Sweden AND Denmark are in that image?
>>
>>52428998
>the evil land
>the land of knights

We had those though. With England and France.
>>
>>52448734
Can someone explain me how the fuck "if you don't measure shit precisely, the final result won't be precise either" is a paradox?

To measure a coastline, you use - traditionally - a combination method combining measuring wheel and theodolite. Assuming you didn't hire complete idiots, you will have a precision down to centimeters.
And the moment plane and satelite shots were accessable, it all boils down to taking into account the fact earth is a spheroid and doing the math based on the outline of the shore.

Gee, what a paradox!
>>
File: 0bf2fc2d1e5c3a9e4fb8726ce85b00c6.jpg (193KB, 736x1029px) Image search: [Google]
0bf2fc2d1e5c3a9e4fb8726ce85b00c6.jpg
193KB, 736x1029px
how does this
look?
spoiler
>>
>>52449113
>Highlighted are of Norway
>Shaded area of other countries without any marks aside their names
Why are you making yourself more retarded than you are? Because seriously, this is some serious case of retardation if you can't tell what the map represents.
Do map of the United States show them as a floating shape in the void or actually mention the neighbours?
>>
>>52449249
*area
>>
>>52449249
You're the guy making a fool of himself.

His point was that they become less detailed the further out you go, which is obviously true.

But the example he used is one of the worlds most fractured coasts. To the point where even if you zoom out and get a view of the entire Scandinavia (Even if they aren't the focus of the image I posted, the SCALE is the exact same, which was his line of reasoning for finding an image of Scandinavia).

The Norwegian coast is obviously the highlighted area as that is the area I wanted to draw attention to, and was also the focus of the post I responded to, the Swedish coast is far more normal.

So no, you're the guy throwing a fit because the map doesn't show Sweden and Denmark in detail, when the entire point he mentioned them was to set a sense of scale, which this exact image captured.

Nor was this a big deal, I just felt like pointing out he could have used a better example, but you felt the need to be a smart ass about it.
>>
>>52449382
I was that person, pointing out the difference between looking on map of entire Scandinavia (which means Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark) and then compare it with area nearby Bergen.

So you've just claimed in your retardation, that fiord of Norway are a common feature all over entire Scandinavia, posted wrong map, didn't even realise it's a wrong map and now you are bullshitting further, unable to realise ytou are fucking retarded and can't even find proper map.

Congratu-fucking-lations.
>>
>>52449382
>This entire post
>This entire argument
... and then Americans wonder why people joke about their geography "skills"
>>
File: Scandinavia.jpg (158KB, 500x443px) Image search: [Google]
Scandinavia.jpg
158KB, 500x443px
>>52449444
Scandinavia is Norway, Denmark and Sweden.

And jesus christ, what happened to your spelling? Are you throwing a fit?

I considered a bit that you were the guy who I originally responded to, but didn't want to make my post too lengthy so I omitted it.

>>52449480
What's wrong with my geography skills?
>>
File: staph.gif (592KB, 470x332px) Image search: [Google]
staph.gif
592KB, 470x332px
>>52449523
>Scandinavia is Norway, Denmark and Sweden.
Neither of them, but pic related.
>>
>>52449204

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dcDuVyzb8Y
>>
>>52434829
Georgia-"land of wolves"
>>
File: Map_of_Scandinavia.png (30KB, 780x640px) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_Scandinavia.png
30KB, 780x640px
>>52449548
Finland and Iceland are often included when discussing Scandinavia, but they aren't actually a part of it.

It's a very common misconception and I find it hillarious that people on 4chan are trying to lecture me about it, fordi jeg er Norsk.

Here's another image of Scandinavia. Take note of the orange countries that "aren't actually a part of Scandinavia, but we colored them orange because most people think of them as part of it".

If you want a correct term, you could use The Nordic Countries. Here, copy pastaed straight from google:

"The Nordic countries are generally considered to unambiguously refer to Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden, including their associated territories (Greenland, the Faroe Islands, and the Åland Islands)."
>>
>>52449603
Hope a few Americans learned something today.
>>
>>52449603
AHAHAHAAHAH benis:DDDD
>>
>>52449603
It's also worth mentioning that Scandinavia isn't really a geographical term in its origin, but from our shared heritage, most notable is that all Scandinavian nations can understand each others languages.

A Swede can understand a Norwegian or Dane, the same goes for any other combination.

None of the above will be able to carry a conversation if trying to speak in their native language with someone from Iceland or Finland.

And before some autist points out that most Icelandics and Finns will still be able to understand, yes, but that is because they get taught Danish / Swedish, not because their own language is similar enough to be understood.
>>
>>52449779
>Scandinavia isn't really a geographical term
>What is Scandinavian Peninsula
>>
>>52449796
>in its origin

But it's nice to see you so caught up in minutiae and not in the main point of my argument.
>>
>>52449822
I didn't even read your post or for that matter this entire pointless argument going here - it was simply the last "new" post in this thread and here it was.
So kinda-sorta - fuck off. The whole "Scandinavian countries" (as opposed to Nordic) doesn't come from the fact they are sharing culture, but the same geographical structure.
Scaninavian Peninsula.
>>
>>52449858
So, why is the Scandinavian Peninsula called so? And why does Scandinavia include Denmark when they certainly aren't a part of it geographically?

It originates from Scania, or Skåne.

They named the peninsula AFTER the cultures that were a part of said peninsula, they didn't name the people who lived there Scandinavians because they happened to settle on the Scandinavian Peninsula.
>>
>>52449991
>Circular logic: The Post
>Artistic reinterpretation of linguistics: The Subtitle
I guess I will just go fetch some popcorn then
>>
File: 20170330_201836.jpg (954KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170330_201836.jpg
954KB, 1836x3264px
Rate and please make suggestions,
also sorry for the bad pic.
>>
>>52450019
We've been over this already in this thread - "le jagged shore bullshit"
Also, provide a fucking scale.
>>
>>52450037
>le jagged shore shit

Jagged shores are part of the real world. What do you think the entire shitstorm which is the last 30 posts ITT are about?
And how can you know the shores are jagged without a scale?
>>
>>52428960
If you're not making a world set in a modern-ish era, or something akin to the Age of Discovery, don't make your map encompass the entire world. Don't show me every single continent, with convenient names and borders for every single nation.

Most pre-modern people didn't see the world that way. Most pre-modern people would have been hard-pressed to describe the geography of the lands a days' walk away, let alone the entire world. Full world maps betray a distinctly modern worldview, and just make the setting seem small.

There's no mystery, no wonder, no "Here Be Dragons". Everything is laid out nice and neat, with absolutely no room for the players to explore or discover. Limit a map to a single continent, or even a single nation, and you'll hold my interest much better.
>>
>>52450019
Why did you randomly throw Ireland in the sea beside that landmass?
>>
>>52444911
>Pirate islands like iron islands or skellige
I don't have this unless Notspain Island counts.
>Conveniently shaped huge deserts
Have this.
>Worlds so small there is enough space for barely 5 or 6 countries, bonus points if one of those is called an empire
I think I can fit like fifty.
>Mordors
Have one.
>Random tumors on oval continents, bonus points if those have Venice copies like Braavos
Nope
>Big but weak countries with no natural borders
Don't have this.
>>
>>52436191
> america is not a democracy, it's a republic.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, you know.
>>
Is it bad that my world map is just a rotated, and slightly altered map of Earth. For climates I just pick a similar location on actual earth for comparison then add some magical shit that makes it interesting to explore. They're right near Vladivostok on real earth which is in a similar place/climate to Florida.
>>
>>52450019
Nice cloud drawing.
>>
>>52444911
The mountains surrounding Mordor really bug me - they're somehow in a perfect unbroken rectangle to block the borders to the north, west and south.
>>
>>52450223
Weren't the mountains made by Sauron or the Valar?
>>
>>52450078
>Map shows jagged shore
>How do you know it's jagged
Wasn't part of the shitstorm also how Norwegian shore is jagged regardless of scale?
>>
>>52450263
Touché
>>
>>52450249
Nope, that was just Tolkien being inept with map and then, years later, he was trying to justify it out of shame.
>>
File: 20170330_205013.jpg (938KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170330_205013.jpg
938KB, 1836x3264px
>>52450218
It's actually coloured, but it's hard to see on the picture.
>>52450037
Yeah I agree it's a bit too jagged, didn't really notice it until now, but now I see that almost every bit of shore has an island near it. I just like islands.

I was thinking pretty big scale like a square is 60-100km.

>>52450108
Never thought of is as Ireland but OK.

I also made a political map ( if you can see anything).
>>
File: Nordland.jpg (2MB, 2480x1754px) Image search: [Google]
Nordland.jpg
2MB, 2480x1754px
I use different styles for each map because they are given to the party by different NPCs
>>
File: Ostland.jpg (2MB, 2480x1754px) Image search: [Google]
Ostland.jpg
2MB, 2480x1754px
>>52450519
>>
File: Südland.jpg (304KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Südland.jpg
304KB, 2000x1000px
>>52450536
Also keep in mind that those are geography and some major locations only.
I use mundane and descriptive names because they are far easier to associate events and themes with. There is a good bunch of other countries in between, and i dont really give a fuck about anything other than creating meaningful and interresting locations on them so i didnt make it with a coherrent world map in mind
>>
>>52443266
Not that bad.
Some of the names could be a bit more original.
6.5/10
>>
Why is everyone talking about naming conventions? I thought it was obvious to just name shit based off of obvious physical characteristics like 'Fort of Palm Trees' but translate it to a non-english language. Like, goblinoid gets translated to mongolian. Dwarfish gets translated to russian and so on.
>>
>>52451385
Welcome to /tg/...

But seriously.

I normally do this very thing. Ratwater & Igvead are the same place known by different names.

But everyone has an opinion. Igvaed may sound good to me but some people hate it.

That being said, some places are named after people or events. Arliden's Drop, Gedwynne, whatever.

But there should be some thought put into the names of places. So I tend to jot down notes about each place, figure out why they're named the way they are.

That kind of process doesn't translate well to a Japanese nippon steel & waifu-care image board, though.
>>
>>52443547
Nice way to put words in people's mouths. 8/10 good effort.
>>
>>52435266

That's basically just like my own map, but horizontally flipped (I just ripped off the Earth and drew new coastlines over the old ones).
>>
>>52449213
Not bad, looks like Risk
>>
>>52450536
Like the shore pattern in this one. Still generated cloud, but there is something... I don't know how to name it. But it's generally eye-pleasing, despite being obviously generated
>>
>>52435901
Having more assholes per square mile doesn't mean shit. Cry harder
>>
>>52435901
>average person in Wyoming contributes significantly more to society than the thousands of starbucks employees and burger flippers in cities
>farms, required for society to continue existing, cannot exist in cities
>more valuable people get a higher share of the vote per capita

problematic
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 77

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.