[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

American folklore

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: Folklore -2-S.jpg (74KB, 400x258px) Image search: [Google]
Folklore -2-S.jpg
74KB, 400x258px
In the interest of an American setting, what's some local stories, urban legends, and folklore from your little corner of these United States?

Bonus points for creatures
>>
File: American Compendium.pdf (254KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
American Compendium.pdf
254KB, 1x1px
>>52417751
Here, 143 creatures to start with
>>
Minnesota here. There's the legend of Paul Bunyun, a guant lumberjack who had a big blue ox whose footsteps formed the ten thousand lakes.
>>
In Michigan we have the Dogman. It has its own song and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uwFZYCwnS0
>>
>>52417751

http://newenglandfolklore.blogspot.com/

NE probably has the most folklore in America, here's some Folk music from the greats to get you in the mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f2J4ceCikI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN_xvE79iXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb2uciHpe4U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj8eqedV758

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pbJiM60L-Q

The best setting for an Americana campaign is in the Gilded Age. Shit was like an IRL cyberpunk Dystopia

>Corporations literally ran the goernment with their pinkerton agents trying to crush labou movements

>Polluting factories everywhere with the oppressed proletariat working long hours in horrific conditions all week everywhere

>New inventions coming out every week from that Edison dreamhouse

>Reconstruction in the South is fermenting social problems and enabling racist motherfuckers to kill newly freed slaves

>HOBOS

>Interesting shit like what happened to poor Edgar Watson going on everywhere

1870-1920 is the best American era for adeventuring
>>
>>52424271
>NE probably has the most folklore in America
The most that's written down and readily available on the internet, at least.
>>
Here is Wisconsin we have the Hodag. "the head of a frog, the grinning face of a giant elephant, thick short legs set off by huge claws, the back of a dinosaur, and a long tail with spears at the end"
>>
>>52417751
Look up mysterious universe. I generally listen to the podcasts, but I know they have a text article series going through us cryptids state by state. Should be still on going.

I'd recommend the podcast in general for milling idea, but its kind of a crap shoot as to what they're talking about on any given week.
>>
File: devilsgulchbridge.jpg (597KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
devilsgulchbridge.jpg
597KB, 1600x1200px
My home area of Kentucky has 2 mythic creatures

Theres a trainbridge that is said to be where the devil plays a beautiful tune to lure people onto the tracks and stay there until a train comes and kills them.

The Land Between the Lakes area is said to have a Dog Faced big foot that reeks worse than a skunk, but does your standard bigfooty things.
>>
>>52425029
I'm from Tennessee and our city school system in Murfreesboro always does a 5th Grade trip to Land Between the Lakes and I never heard of this dog-faced bigfoot thing before.

Our town just has a shitton of curses and hauntings. Our college, MTSU has some much cursed stuff on it we literally built a Blue Horseshoe fetish on campus to remove any curses you get so long as you rub it before you leave campus that day.

There's a place on the Stone's River Battlefield called either "Hell's Half Acre" or "The Bloody Battlefield" off the normal path that harbors the ghost of some Civil War soldiers that had to beat each to death with their guns because they ran out of ammo. They were never properly buried because they were all unrecognizable afterwards.

There's also a mini mart that has the same wavelengths as the center of the universe. If you go in a buy something, your will to move away from Murfreesboro completely disappears.
>>
>>52417751
From my neck of the woods you have the Snallygaster and Dewayo. I heard that in some areas like Maryland and the Pope Lick Bridge in Louisville, Kentucky that there's a goat man who attacks people with an axe.

Also, the givens are Mothman and the various alien visitor things. Also, if you want werewolves like the dogman, there's the beast of bray road too.
>>
>>52425029
Big foot/big foot like creatures are often said to stink, well at least harder than someone would expect from a hairy woodland/swamp thing would. Its one of those unifying aspects of the myth. Some claim its just ragged forest stench, some people think human senses developed to make bad things smell bad (true but not necessarily in this context), or it could even be a defense mechanism.
>>
>>52417751
I think that Arizona has a lot of potential for folklore/spooky stuff.
Quite a few well known Western gunfights were here (Gunfight at the OK Corral, etc.),
and the state was the last in the continental U.S. admitted into the Union, with a quarter of the state still reservation.
The border also makes for some good stories; the podcast Snap Judgment featured a story about
the spirit of a murdered Border Patrol agent.
The only creatures are the Mogollon Monster, which is some sort of Bigfoot, and the Thunderbird.
Now that I remember, Native American stuff around Arizona/Four Corners gets pretty spooky, especially with Kachina and whatnot.
The Kachina dolls are mainly things that Midwesterners buy at the airport as souveneirs, but the modern Pueblo peoples
would dress up like pic related, doing dances to celebrate the spirits.
In addition, the Anasazi "vanished", even though they just migrated, but have mysterious ruins.
The Phoenix Lights are also pretty spooky, since everyone in Phoenix saw them, and I have never met someone
who really belives the government's story. There's also a somewhat large aerospace industry here.

Honestly, I live in a pretty shitty state, but Arizona has quite a bit of Native American ideas that I think
could be put to use depending on the setting, but I think if your setting is 1800s/Wild West, there's a lot of
good stuff that could be put to use. However, if you don't want too much supernatural stuff, then I think
further east is better, with Johnny Appleseed and Paul Bunyan and Babe.

If you are American, I think it doesn't hurt to look up your local area, most areas have historical societies
(or at least they do on TV), or tiny monsters. There's also a website that will tell you mysterious/cool
places to visit in an area, but the name eludes me.

Also, if anyone has that pciture of feels guy holding the rifle with ASU behind him would be much appreciated.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.