[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planescape

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7

File: Map of the Planes.png (4MB, 1047x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Map of the Planes.png
4MB, 1047x1600px
In light of this "Plane Escape" countdown thing Wizards of the Coast has ticking, let's talk about what we want and what we don't want from a potential Planescape reboot for the 5th Edition. Here are my thoughts.

1. I don't like the old Planescape slang. I get that it was supposed to make the setting more immersive, but words like "berk, "barmy", "Guvner", "Hardhead" and "cutter" sound like knockoff cockney. I want to feel like a wizard who travels the multiverse, not some guy in a lame fantasy London.

2. I don't think factions should be a central focus of the setting. If we're in a setting with huge clashes between good and evil planes and lawful and chaotic planes, philosophical differences between libertarians and nihilists in Sigil seem unimportant and petty. I think conflict between gods and the planes should be the focus, not conflict between factions.

3. I would want great art. The art direction of the original Planescape is part of what made it stand out so much. More of that from other great artists would be wonderful.

What about you guys?

http://planescape.com/
>>
>>52410765
>Guvner
This always cracks me up because "Guvner" means almost literally "shitter" in Polish.
>>
>>52410765
Its just planescape enhanced edition FUCKING WEW
>>
>>52411461
It's pronounced gavna, not goovner
>>
>>52410765
>I would want great art. The art direction of the original Planescape is part of what made it stand out so much. More of that from other great artists would be wonderful.
Too bad, Tony DiTerlizzi doesn't illustrate D&D supplements anymore. I hope you like Korean freelancers.
>>
>The countdown site is still ticking away—five hours left at the moment--but the Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition announcement trailer has gone live anyway. The new version will support 4K resolution, a modernized interface and remastered soundtrack, and updates "curated" by Chris Avellone, the lead designer on the original.
Google told me the secrets of the countdown, you can stop being excited OP.
>>
>>52412013
Oh good, it's War&Peace: the game again.
>>
>>52412013
>updates "curated" by Chris Avellone, the lead designer on the original.

brace for autogynephagia and "progressive" rewrites. Fall From Grace will be removed.
>>
>>52412044
>using memes incorrectly
>not hyphenating names
>>
>>52410765
Yeah, if the art is generic then that's a dealbreaker for me. I might as well just use the old Planescape books or make my own shit.
>>
>>52412044
This is Chris "I put so much Rape into Wasteland 2 they nearly fired me" Avellone we're talking about you moron.
>>
>>52412281
Would be fun if he ends up actually putting MORE rape into Planescape: electric boogaloo
>>
Everybody's idea of Planescape comes from the video game, but it didn't play anywhere near as well on a table; even the professionally written modules were fucking AWFUL to play.
>>
>>52410765
It's only gonna be a shitty PC-fied version of PS:T, Behanced Edition. don't get your hopes up.

1. I love the slang.

2. Wars between gods have been a staple of Forgotten Realms and many other settings on the Prime Material Plane since forever. LE Plane vs LG plane is boring. Factions are much more interesting because they cut across planes, religions and even races.

3. Yes, DiTerlizzi's art made PS stand out, but he's far too expensive for them to hire now. It'd have to be someone who is a) cheap b) young c) good and d) profilic.
>>
>>52412474
>profilic
lol ^prolific, I'm dyslexic
>>
>>52410765
Fuck you; I love planar cant and Cager Rhyming Slang. Even though a lot of it doesn't make sense. For example, "berk" is rhyming slang for Berkeley Hunt=cunt, but as far as I know there's no Berkeley Hunt in all the Great Wheel.
>>
>>52410765
I'm assuming the Faction War is still canon, which dissolved a lot of factions and weakened the rest, but I dunno, it makes sense to me. The Outer Planes aren't just a bunch of big armies that fight each other; they're places of philosophy and belief. It makes sense to keep Planescape focused on different points of view on life rather than the gritty material logistics of impossible fantasy worlds.
>>
>>52410765
>1: I want to be a wizard who travels the multiverse, just as long as everyone there talks exactly like I do.
>2: I don't want a campaign setting with local conflicts I can get involved in at any level; I want every problem in the setting to be much too big for me to ever solve even if I become an epic-level demigod.
>3: I want every artist to ape DiTerlizzi rather than use whatever style they work best in
>>
>>52412570
>as far as I know there's no Berkeley Hunt in all the Great Wheel.
Why not? Portals connect everywhere, even to Victorian London. /Especially/ to Victorian London.
>>
>>52412660
>I'm assuming the Faction War is still canon

No, it's not canon. Not even the writers of Faction War said they wanted it to be canon. It was supposed to be the first of a three-part adventure arc that would have reshaped the factions but it was never finished as TSR was busy going bankrupt.

Almost everyone I've ever met who plays/played PS ignored Faction War.
>>
Less sigil, more other planes.

Give me an actual reason to adventure on Bytopia.

Also this will literally be nothing but a port of the original, you dolt.
>>
>>52410765
Sigil is a stratified but primarily low-brow, cosmopolitan, dirty city at the center of the multiverse based around Victorian-esque aesthetics and squalor. Cockney slang represents it perfectly, no matter how stupid it sounds. At least its not cockney orks.
>>
>>52410765
>Plane Escape
Is Wizards going to add Bane as a deity?
>>
>>52412044
Honestly, she'll probably just have her and Annah made more heavily romance able, if any changes are made to her. Maybe more dialogue, if they can get Jennifer Hale back for it.
>>
>>52412468
It didn't play well as a videogame.
>>
File: lord gwyn newspaper.png (68KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
lord gwyn newspaper.png
68KB, 300x200px
>>52412474
>but he's far too expensive for them to hire now
Man, it's fucking WotC. If they don't have the money to hire him, no one does.
>>
>>52413527
Wizards has money, their D&D department doesn't, they can't even afford to print hard-cover books any more.
>>
File: devon bear police.jpg (123KB, 648x768px) Image search: [Google]
devon bear police.jpg
123KB, 648x768px
>>52412570
>londonistani likes londonistani slang
colour me surprised
>>
>>52412468
>Everybody's idea of Planescape comes from the video game

I've never played PS:T. Been running Planescape since the mid-1990s, though.
>>
>>52413351
>Is Wizards going to add Bane as a deity?
Hello newfag, it's great that you've discovered /tg/, but unfortunately for you this joke is a flop because a deity named Bane has been a canon god in the D&D game for decades.
>>
>>52413305
Actually New York represents what you described a thousand times better.
>>
>>52412852
So all the schizophrenic technology and Anglicisms are due to a large number of portals to Gothic Earth from Masque of the Red Death?
>>
File: Bane_symbol.jpg (123KB, 506x514px) Image search: [Google]
Bane_symbol.jpg
123KB, 506x514px
>>52413395
>Annah made more heavily romance able
>Annah & Falls-From-Grace lesbian dialogue with rap-- I mean rope scenes written by Avellone

Welp, I'll be in my bunk...

>>52413527
Are you kidding? He works for New York publishers, they have 1000x the dosh for illustrations. He has his own book series, ffs, he's probably independently wealthy by now.

>>52413659
>this joke is a flop because a deity named Bane has been a canon god

Haha, burn on him. BTFO baneposters!
>>
>>52413659
You're a mad guy.
>>
>>52414410
Why would you post a lead-in as a reply to the follow-up

Was being a retard part of your plan
>>
>>52414455
If the meme was out of order, would you cry?
>>
>>52414514
You don't get to post that.
>>
>>52412570

The Berkely Hunt origin for Berk is odd, as "Berkley" is pronounced "barkley", is a place in glouchester and the berkley hunt stopped being a thing about a century before "berk" seems to come into use - there's also the issue that it's way too intense a term in meaning for what it's used for.

On the other hand, it makes more sense that it's just a reference to Berkley Square in the west end of london - it's kinda amazing how wikipedia lists nothing but berks when it comes to fictional people who lived there.

What I think happened was that Berk predated Charlie, which gained popularity in the 1930s and WAS cockney rhyming slang (for "Charlie Hunt" a famous jockey of the period), from there berk, which was just a demonym for the rich wankers who lived in Berkley Square, was then backronymed via Rhyming Slang to Berkshire Hunt (also pronounced "Barksher", like Berkley is pronunced "Barkly") to fall in line with the later term "charlie".
>>
>>52412468
Look, just because the modules were shit doesn't mean the setting was.
I'll be one of the first to agree it doesn't live up to all the hype (because dear Christ there's a lot of hype), and never quite reached its full potential (too many places where we spend a lot of word count saying 'there's nothing to do here and everything will kill you'), but there's still a lot of awesome in there. The original boxed set was a thing of beauty, with plenty of potential for gaming.
>>
>>52414614
To be fair the required effort for players and DM's to actually run the setting is off the chart compared to any other campaign settings, you had to read several splatbooks back to front twice over.
>>
>>52414661
How so?
What are the important rules you really need out of those splatbooks that aren't already covered in the boxed set?
Not sperging out in defense of the setting, or anything; I was a spectacularly loose (ie shitty) DM in high school, so I'm wondering what I missed out on; the only 'important rule' I can think of is magic working differently on different planes, and maybe one or two variations on local physics, but I thought that was generally covered in a page or two; the rest is just setting details you can grab as needed for the planar adventures. What am I missing?
>>
Does /tg/ have a Planescape General?
>>
>>52414747
Yeah, but the regular OP is kind of an ass.
>>
>>52412044
>Avellone

He can actually write though
>>
>>52414747
maybe the board would be better if every discussion wasn't crowded into the same topic ghettos?
>>
>>52410765
I'd probably be hyped for the enhanced edition if Beamdog wasn't making it.
>>
>>52414783
>Still thinking that
You obviously haven't played his latest shit.

Tides of Numenera was godfuckingawful.
>>
>>52413772
Not in the Victorian Era, then London was the center of the universe, and the aesthetic of Victorian America, while similar, was its own thing. Sigil has literal aristocrats and nobility, not just Rockefeller types, and is ruled over by a pretty terrifying inversion of the motherly Queen Empress.
>>
>>52414773
Why?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2wXLCIpFRg
>>
>>52415196
>comparing the Lady of Pain to the queen
The self-importance of the small islanders knows no limits
>>
>>52413659
Careful, don't let the fire rise to your head.
>>
>>52414282
I would think that it's you who're kidding, or unwilling to put two and two together. WotC is by far the biggest and wealthiest commissioner of fantasy art in the world, selling fantasy art is actually their core business. Of course they have more than enough money to pay DiTerlizzi, for an entire book even. Either they don't need it or he's unwilling to take commissions.
>>
>>52415595

The queen of england is also several squirrels in a large costume tho.
>>
>>52410765
IMO, the homogeneity of Planescape's aesthetics is the worst thing about it. It's supposed to be this huge diverse universe...but everyone talks like a cockney and every single thing is drawn by DiTerlizzi in the same style.
>>
File: 14682255736450.png (500KB, 987x766px) Image search: [Google]
14682255736450.png
500KB, 987x766px
>>52414608
I'm afraid you will find that there's no such locale as "Berkley Square" in London.
>>
>>52410765
>>52412570
Just so you know, that cant is based off of real life pirate slang from the 1800's.
>>
>>52415417
He's a massive weaboo faggot who inserts animoos into everything planescape-related.
>>
http://planescape.com/

Welp
>>
And... it was WoTC shilling for the release of the Expanded Edition of Planescape: Torment.

Talk about a let down... but, who knows; maybe if it does well, WoTC will actually try bringing out REAL Planescape 5e books.
>>
>>52416686
>implying anime doesn't exist in planescape
>>
>>52417455
>>52416911
We already knew this days ago.

I'd very much doubt Wotc are going to go the TSR route with campaign settings, it nearly bankrupted them last time.
>>
>>52417523
Yes it does.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EC4fQ7qW0dNveXRDD2UZsB2NXbyIpEm-jCtTjwBQH3I/edit
>>
>>52417548
It wasn't the massive number of settings that bankrupted TSR, it was that crazy woman who mismanaged the place into the ground.
>>
>>52421252
Do your research, the cost of unsold campaign splatbooks literally overwhelmed the company, outside of a couple of Forgotten Realm books no campaign setting recovered their cost of printing.
>>
>>52421351
And this doesn't stop at TSR, 3.5 actually suffered similar issues and it led to laying off of most of their staff; Wizards D&D department never recovered and there's now less than 10 full-time employees working on D&D.
>>
>>52412044
>autogynephagia
The fuck is this tranny self vore shit?
>>
>>52421351
>>52421373

The company was mismanaged into the ground, and the unsold splatbooks were only a part of it. Do you remember Dragon dice?
>>
>>52412044
>Fall From Grace
You mean that piece of blatant neckbeard pandering that doesn't make a lick of sense in the setting in the slightest and required so much handwavium that they had to invent rules to justify it?
>>52415685
This is assuming that the minuscule D&D department has the funds to hire him when they don't have enough people working to make more than 1 splatbook a year.
>>
A lot of people don't understand just how useful the factions were as a DM. They give you an instant way to give players jobs, resources, hints, etc - a faction contact can give you some work, request help or perform a service for the party.

They also provide an easy way to add alternative resolution methods to just about any encounter. Make a given monster/NPC a member of a faction, and you give them something to care about, a worldview, a bunch of different methods to convince them to do something or stop them from being an obstacle, etc. It helps make enemies/monsters a lot more memorable, and it gives you easy fodder to make their description/appearances unique and identifiable.

Finally, they're actual presences in the setting and have some neat and interesting locations. The sensates actually provide a valuable and interesting service for the city, and it takes a modicum of creativity to think up interesting ways to use sensory stones in adventures (go back and look at some famous event to try and recognise a minor detail, get asked to make a recording of some exotic experience, etc etc).
>>
>>52421748
>Do you remember Dragon dice?

Were those the giant novelty dice made by that furry dildo company?
>>
>>52422786
No, it was a really bad card game they made to try and take on Magic: The Gathering.
>>
>It's just rerelease 20 year-old vidya
>Definitely didn't need the domain name and a fucking timer for that

So, incredible expectations, followed by complete disappointment.
Well, that's Planescape in a nutshell, I suppose.
>>
>>52417925
Thus proving that putting animu in Planescape is literal shit-tier and such players should be kicked on sight.
>>
>>52427670
You seem upset. Care to talk about it?
>>
>>52414849
He only wrote like one character in that, being a scretch goal guest writer.

Not that it wasn't godfuckingawful.
>>
>>52422031

Well the factions basically serve the role of adventurer guilds and lot of 4th wall breaking gamist elements you see in isekai fantasy - but within a context that back justifies them existing rather "this is how MMO's do this shit, so... okay then."
>>
File: a96ab44a3a9ea725136f29d0dba8d742.jpg (870KB, 750x1035px) Image search: [Google]
a96ab44a3a9ea725136f29d0dba8d742.jpg
870KB, 750x1035px
>>52431570

The Believers of the Source, out of all the factions, have the greatest grip on 2e's game mechanics.

The Godsmen believe that people constantly refine themselves as they succeed in life's challenges. (XP.)

They believe that people constantly climb up a ladder of personal greatness. (Leveling.)

They believe that when someone dies, they reincarnate, though they might reincarnate several rungs lower down the ladder. (Rerolling a new character, possibly with lower XP or no XP, depending on the DM's whims.)

They believe that people can become gods if they rise sufficiently up the personal ladder of greatness. (They can. AD&D 2e Legends and Lore, page 10. Divine ascension rules.)

Finally, they believe in a mysterious higher power called the Source, just like the Athar place faith in the Great Unknown, the Dustmen revere True Death, and the Transcendent Order listen to the Cadence of the Planes. (On some level, they know that they are in a game.)
>>
>>52417548
Here's the thing with the settings:
The crazy, inventive ones don't sell.
And there's no need to have more than a single Tolkien clone since they're all fundamentally the same.
Hence, WotC is not enthusiastic at all about supporting numerous settings.
>>
>>52414842

They did get Avellone to work on it, and got a quote from him saying it's the best way to play the game.

We'll have to wait for the actual release to know, but Avellone got to decide what changes were made to his baby. That's a good sign at least.
>>
>>52422031

I feel like the DM has to mark some factions as NPC-only, though.

My instinct is to ban Harmonium, Mercykillers, and Dustmen just because they're the kind of factions who would saddle a player with too much responsibility for them to be going around adventuring. Being part of those factions is like having a full-time job.

I also feel like you have to ban the Fated and the Revolutionary League for being too likely to create unfun party dynamics and the bad kind of inter-player conflict. Also, if some of your players are asshats, you might have to shut off Doomguard and/or Xaositects too.

Does the Bleak Cabal melancholia restriction lead to interesting situations or does it usually lead to dumb shit?
>>
>>52421351

Not even quite that so much as the fact that TSR decided this was a perfectly acceptable state of affairs so long as their tie-in fiction books kept selling. The profit margins on the tie-in fiction books were so massive that they could afford to use the RPG product as a loss leader to build hype for more novels.

When Dragon Dice and Spellfire both flopped and the fiction line had a bad year, it meant doom.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.