[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Your character's backpack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

What kind of shit do you make sure to pack with your characters? Things that are always useful or are light enough that you always have them anyway? Or flavor things that your character would be carrying anyway.

For example almost every character I make carries: A crowbar, rope and grapple, a small hammer and a few pitons, a small bit of wax, some string, a needle, a bell, an empty bottle, a marble.
I'm looking to add to this, I want my current character to be a guy who just has shit on hand and available. Not necessaraly a guy who has 400lbs of equipment but a guy who brings just the right stuff
>>
Calm situations, such as a peaceful meeting with an employer
>discreetly armoured suit
>legal pistol visibly holstered

Breaking & entering
>full-body active camo suit
>duffel bag full of guns and equipment
>silenced pistol and/or sniper rifle
>automatic lockpick, keycard skimmer, miniwelder and password sequencer
>abseiling equipment and gecko-tape gloves

In a firefight
>high-armoured shock resistant all-terrain jumpsuit
>submachine gun
>SWAT-grade combat stims
>>
I always carry on my person a lantern (If they're allowed in setting), a woodcutting axe, a concealed knife, a spare set of boots, a book relating to my character's interests, some rope, and a canteen.
>>
I'm a big fan of whistles. Because when you pull out the whistle to summon the rest of the party to save your ass, it's a lot harder for the GM to say that they can't here you because your yelling isn't loud enough.

Chalk is neat too.
>>
When I played 3.5 I always used any spare money on a couple of bells and chalk. I craved those moments where we'd be in a tight spot and look in the corners of our inventory desperately for anything that could help, and I'd save the day with this bullshit joke item.

Something close to that happened when I was playing Barbarians of Lemuria. I've done an alchemist character twice, and both times I decided to just give him a bottle of perfume as a joke (as well as a packet containing 11 secret herbs and spices).

Recently with this second character, the perfume actually helped save a few thousand people
>>
My wizard had a Deep-Pockets Cloak and a bag of holding. Her inventory is too long to put here but it was two pages of size 8 font and ranged from bags of marbles to rowboats to entire libraries liberated from vanquished baddies.
>>
Crowbar and flasks of oil.
Lots of oil. It's always useful.
You have someone restrained but they don't want to talk? Pure some oil on there head and hold up a flame. They'll talk.
Recently come across some wild rabbit? Fry that shit in oil.
Want to make a trap? Use oil.
Want to keep your lanterns lit? Gotta have oil.
Need some lube for those nights carousing? Oil up.
>>
>>52401898
Hammer and chisel
Nails
Rope
Chalk
2 candles
Marbles
Ball of string
Flask of holy water
Flask of oil
Flint and steel
Char cloth
Whet stone
Prybar
>>
Soap.
Always soap
>>
>>52404460
Storytime?
>>
File: 4.jpg (365KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
365KB, 1280x720px
Copy pasta from /out/

What most people dont get is that traditional gear was either carried with a pack animal like a horse, mule or donkey(meaning it doesn't matter if the gear is heavy because the pack animal can carry it) or, they went really light.

Admittedly my knowledge is limited to the medieval period and earlier, and mountain men and those types would have carried more gear, such as powder horns, lead shot, etc.

your average pre gunpowder person going on a few day trip somewhere would probably carry:

a satchel or small backpack filled with:

Food. Hardtack, Bread, Salted meats or Fish, etc.

Some twine.

A fire kit.

MAYBE a small pot to boil water and cook.

They would have a blanket roll with:

A blanket or two, depending on the weather.

Extra clothes in the blanket roll.

If they needed it, a tarp on the very outside that was made so it waterproofed the wool blankets.

Some pegs and more twine if needed.

They'd also have a knife and a walking staff.

Some would carry swords, bows and arrows if they were hunters and wanted to shoot rabbits on the trail,

a hatchet or a langseax.

If they were adequate hunters and foragers (which most people were, young boys spent their days hunting with slings and bows for small game) they could easily shoot a rabbit and have it for dinner.
Traditional gear is heavy as fuck, but that's why you have something else carry it or carry very little.
>>
>>52401898
Gum and snacks.
Street urchins are willing to die for a pack of pizza-flavored combos.
>>
I always carry:
>soap on a rope for when you need to elope
>a rock in a sock to deliver a shock
>a book of chants and some freshly cleaned pants (that has been cleared out of ants )
>A bundle of string tied to a mysterious thing that sometimes goes ding
>potato peels mixed with eels (with a little bit left of the fishing pole reels)

Incidentally my character also made this little spiel during a session
>>
>>52411642
Based bag yo.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.