[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>nebula are living beings How to make this work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

>nebula are living beings

How to make this work?
>>
>>52400697

Read Fred Hoyle's "The Black Cloud".

Next time, do your own fucking homework.
>>
>>52400697
How and why would that affect players? It's like having a race of space whales that live on a gas giant somewhere, in a space opera setting. Even if you can communicate to them, what would they even want to do with you or vice versa? You can't survive down there, they can't survive anywhere else.
>>
>>52400697
>They don't give a fuck.

>Just chilling up in space, doing their own thing.

>I mean we don't really know that they're alive, but we kind of think they are?
>>
>>52400767
I came here to post this! Based anon. Keep readin', brother!
>>
>>52401011
>My body is light years from one end to another.

>Takes me about 1000 earth years just to think of something

>Oh, hey, those weird bacteria are spreading around my space armpit. I should probably take a shower

>10000000 years later, Big Crunch.
>>
They just live on a different timescale

Humans and aliums are basically gut flora to it, living and dying in a blink of its eye and not meaningfully concerning to it
>>
>>52400942
>How and why would that affect players?

Well, if you'd ever READ A FUCKING BOOK in your short miserable life, you'd realize that small increases in interstellar "dust" levels have been linked to ice ages in Earth's past. In one such event, called the "Snowball Earth" period, the ice caps nearly reached the equator.

Now imagine, if your ADD allows you to, that a sentient nebula or dust cloud is moving towards the Sol system for some unfathomable purpose and has the potential of blocking out most of the solar radiation reaching Earth.

Might it be important to try and talk to the sentient cloud then? Or wouldn't it be worth the effort because "what would they even want to do with you or vice versa'?
>>
>>52401164
>>52401093
>>52401111
>>
>>52401164
Interstellar dust = extinction level event.
Seems pretty important, desu.
>>
>>52401164
If an earthquake is happening or the sun is suddenly collapsing, I'll be sure to talk to it too instead of just running away or dying.
>>
>>52401011
This. Pull a Solaris. Have a religion based around finding evidence for their existence as not only living creatures/intelligences, but proof of some divine power.
>>
>>52400697
"I want you inside me, spaceship-senpai!"
>>
File: Luma_(Character).png (1MB, 1696x1728px) Image search: [Google]
Luma_(Character).png
1MB, 1696x1728px
>>52400697
>>
File: 1463906326831.jpg (415KB, 1231x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1463906326831.jpg
415KB, 1231x1500px
>>52400697
they work on interstellar levels. what is but one small ship inside their equivalent of fraction of a fraction of a cell? such a vast intelligence has no need to concern itself with us, and the thought process is so far beyond what each of us could comprehend that what they think couldn't affect us in any meaningful way

being spread out is their natural state. they exist in that form because it is the easiest and most comfortable from that they can take.

now, if for some reason, they want to, they can condense themselves. as they condense, they stop thinking and looking at things in an interstellar level. over time, say a few hundreds of years, they condense to giant, ephemeral shapes, with a terrible and awesome intelligence driving this giant creature of Dust, Gas and Material gathered since the dawn of creation. able to exert the combined materials that compose it into designs and uses that we can't even think of

ask yourself:

for what reason would such an entity, turn it's attention to something so far down on the cosmic scale?
>>
>>52400697

Somebody cooked up a template in GURPS for it. I'll dig it if if I can find it. But there isn't much point because at SMs that high the monster might as well not exist, it interacts with the party so weakly.
>>
>>52401164
That presents an interesting problem.

As far as we know, information can't travel faster than light. Nebula are often lightyears across. That means signals from one end of it's "brain" would take years to get to other ends of whatever it has. It would likely take years for any signal based on your communications to be processed by it.

Additionally, assuming it has an efficient movement method, you'd need to catch it before it was "halfway" to your planet, otherwise, it couldn't slow down in time.

So imagine a campaign set on a lonely space ship, blast off of earth on a mission that will assuredly result in the crew's death by old age, to find a way to communicate with the nebula and persuade it to stop. The entire session is just trying to frame one sentence in a universal language, before the nebula reaches the point of no stopping

Could be a good one shot, if run by a good dm.
>>
Ctan?
>>
>>52404253
>>
File: Cloud.jpg (598KB, 605x913px) Image search: [Google]
Cloud.jpg
598KB, 605x913px
>>52400697
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO21ze8Up34
>>
File: 1404707473469.jpg (56KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1404707473469.jpg
56KB, 640x960px
>>52400697
They are alive. The planets are their organs. We are their blood cells.

We have grown sick. The nebula is sick. It is dying. Everything is dying.

We are cancer. The neubla is dying. We are cancer. The nebula must be cured. It will be cured. It is sending a cure.

We are sickness.

We are going to be cured.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.