[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Amonkhet Spoilers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 397
Thread images: 53

File: glorybringer.jpg (27KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
glorybringer.jpg
27KB, 265x370px
Didn't see a spoiler thread, so I'm gonna make one.
Ignoring the common limited fodder, we got some information on some of the new mechanics. Also, cycling is returning.

Glroybringer
3RR
Flying, haste

You may exert Glorybringer as it attacks. When you do, it deals 4 damage to target non-Dragon creature an opponent controls.
What does Exert do? Does it let you Frost Lynx your own creature? Is it making your creatue smaller?
>>
File: trueheartduelist1.jpg (42KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
trueheartduelist1.jpg
42KB, 265x370px
>>52397687
>>
File: trueheartduelist.jpg (34KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
trueheartduelist.jpg
34KB, 265x370px
>>52397699
Embalm reads like this. If a creature with embalm is in the graveyard, you may activate its embalm ability. Create a token that's a copy of that creature. The token for Trueheart.
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
34KB, 223x310px
>>52397687
Article says that exert does indeed frost lynx ur own creature in exchange for a triggered ability.
Granted just like other cannot untapped effects you can go around this like new Gideon +2, or just give it vigilance since all it says is doesn't untap, but that doesn't matter if you don't tap urself down to attack in the first place

As for the cycling demon, my fucking dick. Pic related.
>>
File: archfiendofifnir.jpg (28KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
archfiendofifnir.jpg
28KB, 265x370px
>>
No but seriously if Wizards reveals a land with cycle, shit will go down hard in Modern. Loam will spike so hard you don't even know.
>>
>>52397761
You mean a good land? There's already lands with cycle.
>>
File: oraclesvault.jpg (34KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
oraclesvault.jpg
34KB, 265x370px
>>
>-1/-1 counters are back
Dick status: MUH
>>
>>52397783
There isn't a single Modern legal land with cycling.
>>
>>52397783
But none of them are modern legal
>>
File: sixthsense.jpg (45KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
sixthsense.jpg
45KB, 265x370px
Keen Sense also gets a reprint of sorts. Card art is kinda lame, though.
>inb4 WE
>>
>>52397823
ahh
>>
File: 1482247380132.png (338KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1482247380132.png
338KB, 500x376px
>>52397757
>play flip Lili EDH
>focus on madness and discard
>reanimation sweet spots are CMC3 and 5 for her -x
>this nukes the board and is CMC5
>mfw
>>
>>52397838
I love the art. I want to see what the foil looks like on her eyes.
>>
>>52397838
Keen Sense is on any damage, not just combat. And thank all fucking Christ that Sixth Sense is only combat, because Walking Ballista WOULD have required a banning.
>>
>>52397729
That's a super fucking shitty transcription. Note that it exiles the card from the graveyard and can only be activated at sorcery speed.
>>
>>52397866
I did it off the top of my head. It got the point across well enough I think.
>>
>>52397802
Easily see this being in atraxa decks in edh. Activate once, proliferate twice, activate for a free spell each turn
>>
>>52397866
The fact that it's sorcery speed kinda kills it. It means you can't pop a blocker whenever
>>
>>52397744
>living end is black
no shit sherlock
>>
>>52397899
>what is Lingering Souls
>>
>>52397914
It doesn't have a normal casting cost, so they had to add that in order to keep tards from getting confused about its color identity, I shit you not
>>
>>52397914
This was back then before color indicators, D:
>>
>>52397892
Get a load of this huge fucking scrub. All Atraxa does is let it happen a turn faster. I'd run it with a UW commander who does something artifact related like Hanna, then run the 4 mana enchantment that can pull all Plains from your library, then run Oracle's Vault and Paradox Engine. Make sure all of your lands are Plains by running fuck tons of fetches then the 3 fetchable duals, and proceed to cast your entire deck.
>>
File: 1485869767692.jpg (61KB, 311x445px) Image search: [Google]
1485869767692.jpg
61KB, 311x445px
>>52397937
Well the suspend cost would be a given for it's color identity, buy you mean actual color, in case someone sperged and tried to counter this with something like ceremonious rejection cause autism.
>>
>>52397899

It's already gonna play he'l against Control since you can't 1 for 1 anymore. It being instant speed would be too much.
>>
>>52397729
>If a creature with embalm is in the graveyard, you may activate its embalm ability. Create a token that's a copy of that creature.
This is so fucking contrived

Embalming was not so fucking ubiquitous in Egyptian society. Nor was it particularly unique. They embalmed nobles. So did other cultures. There is literally no reason why it should be so thematically centric to the expansion. This reeks of marketing reminding R&D to "make sure you fill it with keywords people relate to Egyptian culture"
>>
>>52397977

> hell*

Fucking phone. Should have just waited until I got home.
>>
>>52397899
Doesn't get countered by most counter spells. Control decks might need a graveyard hoser to be viable.
>>
>>52397802
thats what standard needs, more free casting!
>>
>>52397984
>I don't understand resonance
Go jerk off on your Kamigawa binder
>>
>>52397962
Well I mean yeah, like you could do that, or you could have fun
>>
>>52397984
This isn't Egypt you fucking nigger. Kaladesh wasn't India, Theros wasn't Greece, and as of last night, your mother isn't an anal virgin.
>>
>>52397984
Thats what they did anon. Normies aren't going to know or care about the specifics of embalming, but will see it and go "Oooo Egyptian plane"
>>
>>52398001
If there's no graveyard hate in this set I will probably give up standard til Nicol bolas makes standard great again.
>>
File: deeply_concerned.png (16KB, 240x242px) Image search: [Google]
deeply_concerned.png
16KB, 240x242px
>>52397757
Is this enough to push Living End to tier 1? What else does the deck need that we could potentially see in almondkek?
>>
>>52397783
A modern land
>>
>>52398017
It's pretty ironic that Wizards are leading everyone into making broad generalisations about the plane based on things like that. Cat gods? Mummies? Pyramids? This must be an Egyptian plane because those are the only things in Egypt!
>>
>>52398032
I'm guessing he'll show up in Hour of devastation, and be spoiled as part of Arch Enemy. I'm very confident he'll show up in Amonkhet block.
>>
File: Hundred-Handed-One.jpg (209KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
Hundred-Handed-One.jpg
209KB, 265x370px
>>52398054
>>52398017
WotC says they appeal to the lowest common denominator (in terms of lore) at low rarities and the more obscure stuff is largely reserved for higher rarities
>>
>>52398035
They would have to make a 1 drop cycler with 3/4 or better stats that has no repercussions/added benefits when cycled or etb, even if it's draft chaff levels like a 4/5 drop and within Jund colors. A 4/4 carabid that doesn't attack every turn would be nice to see, or even a jungle Weaver variant that can block multiple creatures.
>>
>>52398054
What are you actually complaining about? Of course there's going to be pyramids and mummies and cat gods on the Egypt themed plane. What kind of dumb ass designer wouldn't put them in?
>>
File: 1490394110194.png (520KB, 1046x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1490394110194.png
520KB, 1046x1080px
Gatewatch needs to be killed. Like in Bolas fucking kills them, no resurrection, no fakeout, they need to be dead and stay dead. I want a card with an image and flavor of Bolas skullfucking Liliana's decapitated head while eating out Chandra's guts. How many more fucking planeswalker cards do they need?
>>
>>52398094
WIZARDS ARE APPROPRIATING CULTURE FOR THEIR DESIGNS
>>
>>52397984
>turning people into mummies isn't iconic of Egypt

Okay.
>>
>>52398104
I don't think they are going to kill off the gate watch. Maybe they'll kill off a member or something. But they aren't going to be slain to a man any time soon. I know that the MTGgoldfish staff suspect Gideon is going to die in amonkhet block.
>>
>>52398113
Eat yourselves then, I don't give a shit about "cultural appropriation".
>>
>>52398113
and this is bad because
>>
Horay, spoilerseason
[Spoiler] i don't even play the game anymore, but new cards are just fun [/spoiler]
>>
>>52398104
You know, you don't HAVE to play. Or pay attention to the story or any cards you don't want. You're free to leave at any time. Like, right now, for instance. You can go take a walk instead of being so mad over fictional characters you don't like.
>>
>>52398104
Blame the market. Planeswalkers are their single most profitable card type.
>>
>>52398226
His anger is justified and you feeling others shouldnt have opinions is even worse than his unrelenting anger over fictional characters.
>>
>>52398104
planeswalker is a permanent game mechanics and it's here to stay.

i understand if you don't like the gatewatch. their marketing researches tell them everyone loves them, but i only see hate for them. we are sick of it. Amonkhet is the right place to have someone die and shift the focus from planeswalkers to planar heroes like MtG was years ago, at least for a couple of expansions.
>>
>>52398276
well if the card type consist entirely of rare and mythics and they are egineered to be A or at worst B tier rares, what could you even expect?
>>
>>52398293
His anger is not justified. He's choosing to participating in a recreational hobby that he has no control over. That's not to say he doesn't have a right to be angry or have his own opinions, but it's an unhealthy, irrational anger.

You can rant amd race about how much you hate the Gatewatch all you want, it doesn't change the fact that WotC will never listen to you and won't change their story because of you. And being upset over something you can't control is ridiculous.
>>
>>52398329
90% of MTG players don't care enough about the game to go bitch on /tg/ or /r/magictcg. Those same 90% of players don't focus enough on the lore or know enough about Magic's history to have a burning hatred for five focus-group friendly human-looking characters being shoved down our throats from 2015 until the apocalypse.
>>
>>52398329
>>52398104
>Amonkhet is the right place to have someone die and shift the focus from planeswalkers to planar heroes like MtG was years ago, at least for a couple of expansions.
Or at least have them lose. They don't need to kill off anyone, just have them not save the day for once. Amonkhet isn't even under siege; the most they're going to do is liberate some populace.
I want to see Nicol start a group of mono colored planeswalkers to take the slots of the gatewatch over the next few sets. Just a group of bastard assholes laying into different planes.

>>52398376
>WotC will never listen to you and won't change their story because of you
They will if enough people share an opinion and wizards listens. Stranger things have happened. Telling people to stop voicing opinions is ridiculous.
>>
>>52397761
>Loam will spike hard

I fucking hope it does since I have like 30 copies
>>
>>52398001

Kalitas can help for the time being. Doesn't SoI have a few "Exile instead" red nukes?
>>
>>52397729
Stupid, sexy zombies.
>>
>>52398472
>they don't need to kill off anyone

Oh boy I can't wait until Jace card number 32 instead of something original in the next set.
>>
>>52398472
>They will if enough people share an opinion and wizards listens. Stranger things have happened

They very well might. In fact, if you want to start a letter campaign, I will be one of the first to follow you and will send a scathing review of how terrible and one- dimensional their characters have become and how poorly they've handled the story since Origins.
>>
>>52397838
I like the art.
>>
>>52397699
CUTE
>>
File: Sometimes, I hate people.png (16KB, 650x374px) Image search: [Google]
Sometimes, I hate people.png
16KB, 650x374px
>>52397984
It's the future we are imposed.
>>
>>52398651
>We learned from our mistakes
>Just like that time we regretted making dredge so we made delve instead
>>
File: 1490558870294.jpg (720KB, 3675x2175px) Image search: [Google]
1490558870294.jpg
720KB, 3675x2175px
>>52398376
>I get upset when others try to voice their opinion
>Let's not try to implement change in what is seen by a large amount of people who actually read/care about the lore as horrible writing
>It's a minority cause I said so and clearly have several instances of people calling it god tier writing but won't present it cause I'm above that and not cause those instances don't actually exist
>>
>>52398472
>They will if enough people share an opinion and wizards listens
Just read MaRo blog, a lot of people complain about that but his answer is always the same: market research show that the gatewatch is popular so they will continue to shove them down our throath for the foreseeable future.
>>
File: image.jpg (382KB, 907x671px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
382KB, 907x671px
>>52398651
Kamigawa had great flavor. All those "perplexing" spirits work perfectly with Japan, where Yokai are such a huge part of the culture.
>>
>>52398537
They don't have the stones.
>Gideon
Already killed Elspeth, who was already the a replacement monoW walker.
>Jace
They're not going to kill off their poster boy.
>Lili, Chandra, Nissa
They're not going to kill off another big name female planeswalker

>>52398651
Theros wasn't perfect either. Even MaRo understands a lot of its flaws.
>>
>>52398843
Ajani's the only one, then
>>
>>52398715
Thanks for putting words in my mouth. They taste great.
>I get upset when others try to voice their opinion
I'm not even mad.
>Let's not try to implement change in what is seen by a large amount of people who actually read/care about the lore as horrible writing
>It's a minority cause I said so and clearly have several instances of people calling it god tier writing but won't present it cause I'm above that and not cause those instances don't actually exist

Literally things I didn't say. Also, there's no real proof if of people like the Gatewatch or dont; it's all anecdotal . From my two minutes of Googling it seems to be equal on both sides, and seeing as how WotC hasn't put out any market research or survey numbers, neither of us can confirm or deny any majority one way or the other.
>>
>>52397973
The suspend cost doesn't play a part in its color. If it didn't specify that it's a black spell then cards that counter black spells would be ineffective
>>
>>52398785
That the thing though. Accuracy just doesn't sell packs.
>>
i'm already over amonket.

Anyone curious what Ham & Eggs will be?
>>
>>52398785
It turns out a world where turtlemen who are obsessed with cucumbers eat out kids' assholes doesn't sell packs well. Who knew.
>>
>>52398785
Spirits are fine, but they shouldn't have been THE big theme of the block. Obscure nip folk tales are not what people think of when they think Japan. Trying to tap into weeb culture should have been done a lot smarter. Equal parts Samurai, Ninja, Spirits. Maybe base the story on Oda's campaign since Samurai/Dynasty Warriors games were hyped at the time.

>>52398965
Maybe but he just got oathed up. I would think he'd be involved in at least a year of gatewatch activities before going full Ben Kenobi.
Again, they don't need to kill anyone. If anything that'd only make WotC focus on the others by giving them a reason to fight. A big loss to let them pull themselves together for a couple blocks would be fine.
>>
>>52397757
>>52398035
>>52397744

the demon might make it into living end but its not going to be that useful because it needs to be on the field in order for the effect to work and at that point you already wrathed their board anyways
>>
>>52399041
I think it was less of a flavor problem as it was a mechanics problem. Soulshift, Sweep, flip, and Bushido were all pretty uninteresting and weak.
>>
>>52399072
ETA on return to Tarkir?
>>
>>52399194
It was a mixed bag of problems. An overall weak block (weak cards, weak mechanics) coming off a high power block (mirrodin), set design changing halfway through, combined with bizarre lore that no one really cared about at the time. It was doomed from the start.

>>52399283
4- 5 years.
>>
>>52399283
That'd be hilarious. I don't think Wizards realise that the reason the set sold so well was fetchlands.
>>
>>52397729
>Embalm reads like this. If a creature with embalm is in the graveyard, you may activate its embalm ability. Create a token that's a copy of that creature. The token for Trueheart.
Awesome.
>>
>>52399307
Probably true. Where the hell is Narset though?

>>52399341
I enjoyed the kung fu monks, but I just play casually like a loser. I also enjoyed Kamigawa block with my tribal monk deck.

With that said, I know I'm not their primary audience.
>>
>>52399080
>Samurai, Ninja, Spirits
ALL of which were very present in the block. I was playing back then, more people were complaining about the mechanics and the fact that every deck in standard and extended basically had to run four Jitte. Immediately afterwards it was the insularity that people complained about.

It wasn't until much later when I started browsing /tg/ that I saw people complain about the flavor.
>>
>>52399194
Maro claims Kamigawa and Lorwyn are both the most-hated worlds since they started gauging how people liked the worlds. (Which was after Mercadia and Ulgrotha) Personally I see no reason for him to lie.
>>
File: 735.png (132KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
735.png
132KB, 265x370px
How do you like Embalm and Exert?

>Embalm is an activated ability you can activate if the creature card with embalm is in your graveyard. Notably you're not casting the card from the graveyard, so things that counter spells won't work against the embalm ability. The original creature spell can be countered, of course, but that just puts the card in the graveyard. I think you see where this is headed. To activate an embalm ability, simply pay the embalm cost and exile the card. You do this any time you could cast a sorcery, meaning during your main phase when nothing else is happening. When the ability resolves, you create a token copy of the card, but as you'd expect, going through the process of mummification causes some changes. It's got that whole undead thing going on, so it's a Zombie in addition to whatever creature types it used to have. You'll find lots of ways to take advantage of its new Zombiehood, I'm sure. And now that it's all service, all the time and doesn't care about whatever it was it cared about while alive, it's white instead of whatever color it used to be. One more minor change is that it doesn't have the mana cost the card has.

>Exert allows creatures to give a little more effort to produce unusually good results. You make the decision whether to exert a creature as you declare it as an attacker. If you choose to have it exert, an ability will trigger and grant you some bonus. As a trade-off, the creature won't untap during your next turn. It's tired. Needs a nap. Attack more later. You don't have to exert the creature as it attacks. If you don't, no ability will trigger, and it will untap normal during your next turn. Note that as you declare attackers is the only time you can have it exert. You can't wait until later in the turn and then exert it. When your next untap step rolls around, if the creature you exerted is untapped, nothing happens and the exertion cost you nothing.

What's your opinion on cycling being back?
>>
>>52399473
>implying how people remember settings isn't tied to how the sets themselves were received
If you thought Kamigawa block was shit, and someone gives you a multiple-choice questionnaire about how you liked Kamigawa, how would you probably respond? And how would your responses likely be interpreted?
>>
>>52399473
I'd probably hate Kaladesh but Wizards haven't told me anything about the place. They're too busy focusing on the zany adventures of the Avengers.
>>
MTG Worldbuilding then:
2 faceless magicians summoning and using the power of creatures and forces of irregular nature phenomenons of strange worlds to destroy each other

MTG "Storyline" now:
Shitty xmen avengers and 90% of creature cards are just some dude with swords also snapcaster mage looks like the generic white guy on every single battlefield and call of duty dvd case cover now for some reason
>>
>>52399553
I thought it was just me; all the worlds feel paper thin.
>>
File: 1480058372941.jpg (95KB, 909x839px) Image search: [Google]
1480058372941.jpg
95KB, 909x839px
>>52399512

>They've stated that creatures have grown a bit too strong and gained too much value in comparison to spells
>Print a set with two keywords that can only affect creatures that just further enhance their value

This set better have some amazing hate spells.
>>
>>52399609
because they don't develop them properly. All the card art and flavor text is devoted to the gatewatch and they aren't interesting and make everything they are included in worse. Thankfully they haven't found a way to get them to ruin the actual game yet.
>>
>>52399531
Mirrodin was so broken it caused the greatest drop in Magic sales since Urza block and people absolutely love the setting. Zendikar heralded Cawblade control and people love it. Lorwyn had faeries and 5-color control dominating standard and scored poorly.

You all are deluding yourself if you think the only problem with Kamigawa was the numbers and rules text.
>>
>>52397699
>duelist
>additional creature
>>
>>52399667
I mean, Gideon and Newmrakul are broken and format-warping because Wizards decided story cards HAVE to see standard play, so certain cards get absolutely pushed.

So I'd say they're getting close to ruining the actual game. They haven't quite yet, but current design philosophy is headed in that direction.
>>
>>52397984
>I can't enjoy my fictional, magical story unless it's as realistic as possible!
>>
>>52398104
I used to really like the planeswalkers, but yeah, this Gatewatch stuff where they shove planeswalkers in your face every block and just keep repeating the same five over and over is just annoying.
>>
>>52399718
She duels whole crowds at once.
>>
>>52397899
>he wants uncounterable instant speed token generators from the graveyard
Senpai I LOVE tokens and even I know that that is a terrible.

>>52397984
How can you not like mummies?
>>
What the fuck does top down design means?
>>
>>52399647
You are delusional, sadly. The lessons learned from this standard will apply only in two years. God knows which horrible standards we will get until that point.
>>
>>52399707
I started playing in mirrodin and yet i hate the setting, mostly because of the aesthetic though.
Phyrexia couldn't come fast enough
>>
>>52400121
Start with the flavor. The art, the flavor text, the concept. Make a card out of it. A top-down set is one where the whole set (themes, mechanics, individual cards) is made that way. Innistrad, for example, started with Horror, and transformations and a graveyard theme came from that.

Look at, say, Zombies in Innistrad. Gravecrawler is a zombie that refuses to die. You can cast it from your graveyard. Zombies are slow. Diregraf Ghould enters the battlefield tapped.

The opposite is "Bottom-up", where we start with mechanics and go to flavor. OG Ravnica was "We want players to play two-color pairs" which became two color guilds which became a city world. Slavic influences got thrown in there somewhere too.
>>
>>52397802
Could be powerful when mixed with paradox engine, tap cast spell, untap thanks to paradox engine, lands nerf the combo though
>>
now that cycling is back I hope they bring back some kind of discard / low hand punishment like the rack or shrieking
>>
>>52399647
The hate is coming after Atlazan, that's why we're not allowed to play anything other than Standard in competitive events till then, if we could we wouldn't even look at their shitty memerange Standard crap.
Remember these faggots work 2 years in advance.
>>
>>52400218
I see.
Seems to me like every set should be made this way.
>>
File: Image (1).png (127KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).png
127KB, 223x311px
>>52399512
If Exert actually does a lot more value we should expect a rise in price right here.
>>
>>52400341
I wish for cycle lands. Or cool cycle/effect stuff, but considering wizard's hatred to spells, I believe most of them will be tied to creatures in the battlefield like that demon, which means though luck getting astral slide.
>>
>>52400447
All I want is duals with cycling.
>Plains Island
>Enters the battlefield tapped unless there's a copy in your graveyard
>Cyclling 2
>>
>>52400437
No.

Nobody wants a 5-mana win-more, give creatures pseudo-vigilance card. It needs to do something completely broken and even if it did, 5-mana is a dealbreaker as it's just a rock most of the time.
>>
File: 1490558805699.png (425KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1490558805699.png
425KB, 640x360px
>>52398745
Who they fuck are they asking? What are they asking?
>Sir are you a fan of marvel and/or justice league?
>Yeah sure I guess
>That's another tally for liking the jacetice league, excuse me mam!
>>
File: mightyleap.jpg (38KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
mightyleap.jpg
38KB, 265x370px
GOD-PHARAOH CONFIRMED

Will he be a humanoid with a froghead?
>>
>>52399030
Color identity refers to edh, so yes, the suspend cost would, look it up, color identity and the actual color of the card are different, tasigur a good example, where he's a black creature but his color identity is black, blue, and green
>>
>>52400617
>implying the God-Pharaoh isnt Bolas
>>
>>52399121
U clearly have not played against dredge/token/affinity match ups
>>
>>52400617
It's Bolas ya dip.
>>
>>52397757
>cycling
OH FUCK ASTRAL SLIDE REPRINT
PLEASE WIZARDS
>>
File: Download (1).jpg (11KB, 235x214px) Image search: [Google]
Download (1).jpg
11KB, 235x214px
>>52400660
>Inb4 Bolas gets fatally wounded by the jacetice league and has to sit on a golden throne for eternity to keep the eldrazi in check, while his empire on amonkhet slowly degenerates.
>>
>>52399512
I'm fucking stoked for cycling to return. Cycling is the bomb.
>>
>>52400375
he described two different ways a set could be made, which one were you referring to?
>>
>>52400596
They're asking people surveys on the website and when you sign up for a Wizards account if you gave enough of a fuck to check your Planeswalker points.

Let me tell you who has the patience to do that self-affirming shit, the stupid retards who want to cast their dragons and get salty when they get countered or eat removal. The same morons who wouldn't stop screaming for: Greece-the-Plane, Mongolia-the-Plane, and now Egypt-the-Plane.

Surveys are the most shit way of figuring out anything especially when they're voluntary even applying statistical tools to weed out biases. And I seriously don't count on Wizards to design a good survey or even hire a firm to do a survey properly.

Their "surveys" revealed that players fucking love superhero movies, play video games, and whatever. So some dipshit in marketing thinks there's a lot of cross-pollination that can happen if you start selling your shit at Gamespot and if you include your stupid Planeswalker characters teamworking it. I'm not opposed to the whole teamwork schtick, it's just fucking ridiculous when all these assholes have one dimensional personalities, the first five Planeswalkers were specifically designed to appeal to player demographics (instead of actually writing interesting characters from scratch), AND the current Gatewatch as-is is just a refinement of their "who's your favorite Planeswalker" survey results - which is why Garruk had to eat shit, Ajani needed to step off, and Gideon took his place.

Nobody's making actual good decisions, they're just doing what the fucking non-nerds are telling them to do. That's why for some fucking reason they got it into their heads to just remove tits and ass. Everyone fucking loves tits and ass; if you don't like tits and ass even if you're a straight female, you have a problem; likewise if you don't like stupid beefcake dudes as a straight male, you have a problem. Everyone loves power fantasy; it's only the minority who want "realism".
>>
File: Gkdf.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Gkdf.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>52400617
YOU CAN FLY?!
>>
>>52400596
>Who they fuck are they asking?
My sweet summer child. An insider secret from the world of marketing: We don't do surveys. We make shit up to justify the pitch of the exec who hired us as the only way to make money.

Actionists never have time to check the facts and we can always blame external factors for the failure of an idea we knew was shit.
>>
File: tatteredmummy.jpg (38KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
tatteredmummy.jpg
38KB, 265x370px
LETS INVENT AN ENTIRELY NEW FUCKING CREATURE FOR NO GODDAMN REASON WHEN IT COULD HAVE EASILY JUST BEEN HOUND

THIS IS NAGA / SNAKE BULLSHIT ALL OVER AGAIN
>>
>>52400746
The reference is dank, but
>Implying Bolas can be wounded by anyone not named Umezawa
>>
>>52400960
But Mutavault has always been a Jackal :^)
>>
>>52399469
Ninja had a pittance of cards in two colors in a single set. The rest of the block was basically SAMURAI VS SPIRITS with some weird shit thrown about.
>>
File: CaptainPlanet_Manateers.png (3MB, 1655x2211px) Image search: [Google]
CaptainPlanet_Manateers.png
3MB, 1655x2211px
>>52400960
>Viashino isn't an okay creature type because Lizard and Dragon exist
>but Jackal is okay when Hound and Beast exist

Just MaRo things.
>>
>>52400960
>>
>>52400855
>Mongolia-the-Plane
Huh, what do you know, I forgot about all those rainforests in Mongolia.

>Nobody's making good decisions.
"Good decisions" doesn't mean "decisions that I like," Anon.

>>52400960
Normally, I'd agree that there need to be less arbitrarily diverse creature types, but I believe that "jackal" was already a creature type from a while ago. I feel that if they were going to be cool with jackals anywhere, the Egypt-inspired set seems like an alright place to throw them a bone, pun intended.
>>
>>52400960
>inb4 I fucking love jackal tribal
I'm surprised they didn't try to make "Mummy" a tribe. How's that useless fucking Dwarf and Aetherborn tribe shit Wizards?
>>
>>52401026
But Dwarves were back in Shadowmoor or whatever it was.
>>
>>52400960

RETURN 'MUMMY' BACK TO A PROPER CREATURE TYPE.
>>
>>52400960
They whine a fuckton about not being able to push tribal because Human/Soldier/Merfolk/Zombie/Goblin/Elf are already too powerful. While at the same time doing everything they can to fragmentize every other tribe and keep them from unifying.

Modern Vampire Tribal (the one that sometimes wins, not the BR shitbrew) is almost 100% the same deck it was in Zendikar Standard because they keep making vampires that go against the vampire tribe's playstyle like making them fucking Sliths in Innistrad and Madness-dependant in SOI.
>>
>>52397838
Is that a JoJo Reference?
>>
File: fuckingjackals.png (12KB, 647x212px) Image search: [Google]
fuckingjackals.png
12KB, 647x212px
>>52401022
>>
>>52401025
>>52401097

Jackal is new to this set.
>>
>>52401025
>"Good decisions" doesn't mean "decisions that I like," Anon.
Man you're so right, no wonder standard is the best it's been in decades and definitely isn't seeing a decline in it's fanbase.
>>
>>52401125
>definitely isn't seeing a decline in it's fanbase.

You got a number on that? Or a definition on "fanbase" versus "people actually playing the game" since it's currently selling better than it ever has?
>>
In before Jackal Pup creature type update in next B&R announcements.
>>
so what you're all saying is i should get a loam for my edh deck
>>
>>52401125
Standard isn't struggling because of the Gatewatch, Anon, nor Khans of Tarkir, which rotated quite a while ago.
>it's fanbase
>>52401176
I actually have heard that Standard is dropping off very recently, but that may have been Modern.
>>
>>52401097
>>52401119
Well, shit, that IS weird. Jackal USED to be a type, but they Oracle'd it to be under "Hound." That's fucking wacky. Why would they bring it back like this?
>>
>>52401022
For some reason I always thought Jackal Pup had two legs and incredibly bad anatomy. I guess I should've looked at the art properly.
>>
File: 198[1].jpg (71KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
198[1].jpg
71KB, 312x445px
>>52401220

Because why create interesting tribes?
>>
File: duskdawn[1].jpg (32KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
duskdawn[1].jpg
32KB, 265x370px
Well this is some weird shit.
>>
>>52397838
why is nobody talking about this in bogles?????
>>
>>52401176
It isn't, their reports state they lost money Q1 and Q2 2016 and havent gone back to their growth projections despite getting back on stride on Q4.
Last time WotC were breaking sales records Dragons of Tarkir was brand new.
>>
>>52401176

Not the same guy but Standard is definitely dropping off in my LGS so this evidence will only be anecdotal. We usually get about 20-30 people for Standard on average with the highest attendance being when Path to Exile and Serum Visions being FNM promos and then we had an attendance of up to 48 at one point. Now at the moment the attendance is like 10-12 for Standard if we're lucky. It's not that the players aren't showing up, the regulars and other players are there but they just do not want to play this current Standard and everyone's just off doing other stuff on Friday's in the store like running Cube, playing regular FNM draft or doing amusing shit like Chaos Sealed.
>>
File: cursedminotaur[1].jpg (43KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
cursedminotaur[1].jpg
43KB, 265x370px
>>52401052

It's so fucking bizarre since they obviously want to carry some tribe, like they are bringing back the Minotaur tribe even though they could probably be goats.
Looks like we're getting Aven as well.

But hounds are apparently too advanced, so let's just create an entirely new tribe that will only be usable in very specific planes.
>>
>>52401301
Literally the ugliest Magic card ever printed, and we'll have to deal with at least a whole cycle of them. I thought Kamigawa flips were unsightly but this is something else.
>>
File: tg.jpg (26KB, 927x118px) Image search: [Google]
tg.jpg
26KB, 927x118px
>>
File: 152[1].jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
152[1].jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>52401349

Because its a functional reprint?
>>
>>52401022
Is this a reprint?
I can't tell because your image is fucking microscopic
>>
>>52400728
>Astral Slide in Modern
DO. WANT.
>>
>>52401394

Aetherborn was a new race, it made sense.

Jackals have historically been hounds.
This is them just purposely denying players of a tribe.
It's not like Aetherborn could have been some other tribe, they are not elementals, they are arcane.
>>
>>52401384

Kamigawa flips were only a problem in regards to the art space allocated for two different aspects of the same card. Apparently by putting one half the card sideways this solves the issue by allowing two different arts to be printed. Classic WotC.
>>
>>52401426
Jackals have been jackals roughly as long as they've been hounds.
>>
File: 1382668894944.png (35KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1382668894944.png
35KB, 700x700px
>>52401397
>functional reprint
>>
>>52401456

They were dropped the same time as Tigers and Cheetahs.
After the grand creature type update was the first time creature types actually mattered outside of the big ones.
>>
So are Jackal Familiar, Jackal Pup, Dauthi Jackal, Hurr Jackal, Lurking Jackals, and Trained Jackal going to get creature type updates?
>>
Is this going to be yet another "plucky rebels vs overwhelming odds" set? I'm getting real fucking tired of that.
>>
File: Orochi.png (304KB, 962x456px) Image search: [Google]
Orochi.png
304KB, 962x456px
>>52401220
I was this triggered when Naga weren't Snakes like the Orochi were, if anything, the orochi should have their own type since, for some reason, they have four arms and two legs.
>>
>>52401397
i mean in the sense of basically being able to run 8 keen sense now (yes i know keen sense triggers with all damage but still)
>>
File: 49[1].jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
49[1].jpg
55KB, 312x445px
>>52401546

You could already do that though.

I guess if you want 12 copies.
>>
>>52401518
>They were dropped the same time as Tigers and Cheetahs.

That would be 2007. Jackal Pup was released in 1997. That's 10 years as a Jackal, 10 years as a hound.

>After the grand creature type update was the first time creature types actually mattered outside of the big ones

It still doesn't matter for Jackals, so why do you give a shit. It's not like there's a Cares About Hounds mechanic.
>>
>>52401544

Nah, Snakes with legs are rad.

The Jackal shit is extra confusing since Maro himself has at multiple occasions said that Naga's were a mistake and should have been Snakes.

But then again, Maro also hates Hound as a creature type since it's actually only a type of dog not a catch all term.
>>
File: 208[1].jpg (71KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
208[1].jpg
71KB, 312x445px
>>52401586

>It's not like there's a Cares About Hounds mechanic.
Yes there is, there are people who build tribal decks out of any tribe they can get their hands on.
And since there are a bunch of Hounds already it would be a perfect type to do proper tribal of in the future.

Jackals stopped being a creature type the same time humans became a type.
That's pretty fucking telling in that's when they stared actually caring about creature types.
>>
>>52398843
FUCK I just realized something
They literally can´t kill the female planeswalkers because of SJW, just like Garruk
>>
>>52401662
They can, they just can't do it before killing a guy first.
>>
File: nfkb02fy53_doe.jpg (261KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
nfkb02fy53_doe.jpg
261KB, 620x400px
>>52401662
Didn't Elspeth just get murdered by a WHITE male in Theros block?
>>
>>52401662
>They literally can´t kill the female planeswalkers because of SJW, just like Garruk
This is a thread for people who play Magic: the Gathering. If you're only here to crow about your political agenda, the board for that is >>>/pol/. Thanks for understanding.
>>
File: does this mask make me look dead.png (892KB, 1419x838px) Image search: [Google]
does this mask make me look dead.png
892KB, 1419x838px
>>52401722
Forgot my image.
>>
>>52401710
That was punishment for deicide.
>>
>>52401662
>>
>>52401739
... and?
>>
>>52401739
>That was punishment for deicide

>Wizards can't kill female planeswalkers
Apparently, Elspeth was just sent to the Shadow Realm
>>
>>52401397
>>52401564
If your opponent steals your dude and smacks you with it, you get to draw a card.
>>
>>52401662
>when Amonkhet eygptian dies, they became whites
sjw invasion in three, two, one ...
>>
>>52401384
Kamigawa flips were okay, compared to fucking two-faced cards
>>
>>52400960
Wtf I love aristocrats now
>>
this might sound a bit nerdy but I hate planeswalkers because it kills the potential for self expression when some random poor mans avenger is printed on every second magic card like you yourself are not interacting with the world, but rather you diving into some "cool" one dimensional character some CEO at Hasbro wants you to like

Liliana and Nissa are hot tho I wont lie but it still messes with my immersion
>>
>>52400960
>That flavour text
OH LOOK ANOTHER SET BASED AROUND A SINGLE FUCKING CITY

HEAVEN FORBID WIZARDS BUILDS A FUCKING WORLD
>>
>>52401924
Were you angry at every third card being Urza's Bag of Dicks or Phyrexian Nippleclamps in MtG's youth?
>>
>>52401924
The lore idea is that you have an ally who joins and casts their own spells. You could say the same shit about legendary creatures.
>kills the potential for self expression
You need to stop posting and have yourself a think.
>>
>>52401722
But anon, it´s objectively bad for the plot.

And I want Garruk back
>>
>>52401546
People don't even run 4 keen sense in bogles, why would they want 8.
>>
>>52401710
>>52401756
Happy to be wrong
>>
>>52401722
Identity politics, whoever's politics they may be, are damaging to any setting they infect. This is objective fact.
>>
>>52398276
>consistantly make boring planeswalkers like"buy me or lose" Gideon, Ally of Standard-ikar
>"wow, these sure are selling well! This must be due to the great character writing and the love of the concept!"
>>
>>52401976

Or it's a reference to the real-life City of the Dead, which logically is not the whole setting. Calm your autism.
>>
>>52402082

You're right. That's why /pol/ should get their identity politics out of here.
>>
>>52402038
>>52402082
see
>>52401737
>>52401710
>>52401756
and then please go back to /r/MRA.
>>
>>52402085
It's spoiler season where everything is shit and mtg dies a hundred times a day.
>>
>>52401976
But the plane based around one big city literally WAS one big city. There wasn't any part of the plane that wasn't a part of it because it was a massive fucking city. And I said "the" plane because there's only one of them. Why are you so upset about this extremely specific thing?
>>
I CANT WAIT TO SEE THE SAME PLANESWALKERS SPOILED!!!!!

I HOPE THIS TIME ITS LIKE A 2 MANA GIDEON AND HE MAKES 1/2'S AND TURNS INTO A 4/4 INDESKEKTABLE YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>52402127
1. Because Kaladesh was shit
2. It's very obvious Wotc don't care about making a world anymore. They just wanna make a little back drop for the Planeswalk Rangers to do cool karate moves in front of
>>
>>52402106
Yes, but it's also why we should get tumblr out of MTG creative.

>>52402107
Setup for a rescue arc and a power-up does not count as death, anon. You know they wouldn't let any of the nuWalkers die, male female or other.
>>
>>52402195
>You know they wouldn't let any of the nuWalkers die, male female or other.
Kiora, at least for now.
>>
File: 1028312.jpg (79KB, 750x709px) Image search: [Google]
1028312.jpg
79KB, 750x709px
>"Amonkhet Invocations"
>mfw realizing wotc now has to add a buzzword to every single set just to describe lottery cards
>mfw they have to keep this up every single fucking set until they go out of business

But why?
>>
>>52402107
I did, see
>>52402057
>>
>>52402227

Why not?
>>
>>52402227
Because faggots chasing mythic rare reprints give them FAT STACKS OF CASH, NIGGA
>>
>>52402038
Garruk is garbage
>>
>>52402227
Why not? It's not like they don't need to think of a new name for new abloobloo land where neckbeards come and whine on every set.
>>
>>52402195
>Setup for a rescue arc and a power-up does not count as death, anon.
If she's dead, she's been killed. People die when they are killed, as you ought to know, whether or not there's a bullshit later sequence where they're resurrected or whatever.
>But it doesn't count!
Unfortunately for the agenda you're trying to push, it does. Elspeth has died and is dead, and to add to the fact she's been dead for quite some time now. Narratively speaking, the fact that she was killed and not merely incapacitated appears to hold significance, because now her spirit is in some kind of underworld. She may even come back as a Returned or something, suggesting permanent alteration to her character. Even if she comes back (there's not exactly a guarantee; Wizards could simply drop the plotline), you can't change that she HAS died, which means that your first claim ("Wizards won't kill female planeswalkers!") was wrong.

The claim you're making now isn't that "Wizards won't kill female planeswalkers," because you've been contradicted. Your new claim (which I'll explicate, because you haven't) is:
>Wizards won't kill any female planeswalkers in ways that obviate any possibility of a later resurrection
or, put another way:
>Wizards won't kill any female planeswalkers in ways that "count," for my opinion of what does and does not "count."
And, sadly for you, I don't care about what you think, only what you can substantiate.
>>
>>52402170
Oh, I forgot about that one, fair point
>>
>>52398651
Urgh, you already have to be a nerd to be playing MtG, so why are they appealing to the normies
>>
>>52402513
normies think its cool to be a nerd because it allows them to normalize choosing to never grow up versus what it actually is, a debilitating condition that prevents you from growing up.
>>
>>52402583
If being a nerd is "a debilitating condition that prevents you from growing up," why are you fetishizing it in the first place?
>>
>>52397892
Looks solid with Momir Vig, too
>>
>>52401661
>Jackal Pup becomes a Jackal Hound
>>
File: 1400343738434.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1400343738434.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>the shitstorm about the Gatewatch itt

>mfw I'm a new player

>mfw I think the Gatewatch were an accessible way to get into the concept of planeswalkers and colors and the whole setting in general

>mfw I kind of like the Gatewatch and Chandra and Liliana in particular

I mean my favorite planeswalker is Ajani now but if he was my introduction into the lore with his whole history it might have felt a bit like being thrown into the deep end of a pool.

I guess my feelings would change if I was keeping current with every set and they had their own card show up every single time though.
>>
>>52402601
i bully nerds into doing my shit for me and i need constant replacements.

:^)
>>
>>52402703
>I guess my feelings would change if I was keeping current with every set and they had their own card show up every single time though.
Go look up how many chandra cards there are, and how far apart they were released.

What you describe is rapidly becoming the case.

The main complaint is that the story went from being about interesting worlds to just being about these characters, which aren't that interesting.
>>
>>52402703
I mean the gatewatch wouldn't be so bad if they didn't bitch their characters so much, or had good characteristics to begin with. Liliana has a pass so far cause it kind of looks like she's still doing Liliana things, Chandra's in the weird zone cause they keep writing her dialogue to match rebellious teenager dialogue which is weird. But Nissa went from elf Nazi to hippy, Jace is just bland, and Gideon is Mary Sue all over along with Jace. Ajani is cool but him appearing in Kaladesh was just so out of no where it feels forced even if they do find a way to explain it. Like last we saw him he was in another plane called Theros which was the equivalent of Greece, for him to just be in that City in that universe at that time just feels like bad writing.
>>
>>52402802
Botch*
>>
>>52402703
I feel like a lot of the hate the gatewatch gets is
>fucking Facebook normie THE AVENGERS REEEEEEEEEE FUCK JACE REEEEEEEEEE
It's especially obvious when you see them crowing about how the Gatewatch "always has to unambiguously win" when they
>beat two of the Titans after they'd already annihilated 99% of Zendikar (win?)
>get bitched out by Ugin about how killing the Titans may have fucked the Multiverse (so was it a loss?)
>got ROFLstomped by Emrakul (loss), who fucks off on her own for some reason (win?)
>I didn't read Kaladesh but apparently that one really was a bit of a win because they got Tezzeret and the artifact nazis to step off or something

I get annoyed with how prevalent they are too (like I said, I didn't care to follow Kaladesh too closely), but fuck if posts like >>52398104 courtesy of underage edgelords aren't way more obnoxious than the easily-ignored storyline.
>>
>>52402802
I do feel like Gideon and Jace were super bland. Jace in particular feels like he's just there because they need to fill the blue quota.

Nissa I felt like she was just one or two personality traits away from being interesting. Like she's just missing ONE thing and she'd be there. I hear everyone saying she's an elf racist which is weird because that seems like it was totally retconned or something, I played the Origins story in Magic Duels and it was like she was the only elf who wasn't a nazi (compared to the black/green deer elves from the last fight). But from the story I read I enjoyed brief glimpses of her having a character like basically all of her interactions with Yahenni.

>>52402868
I didn't read the Eldrazi story but from what I understand they put the big bitch monster in the moon and then it turned out she wanted to be in the moon all along? Like yeah it feels like people are really exaggerating the whole "They're Avengers/Power Rangers who never lose" thing.
>>
>>52397838
I'm in love with the art
>>
>>52397838
Almost thought i would saw Hirohiko Araki as the artist.
>>
>>52402868
It's how those things fit into established lore that fucks with it. The titans were supposed to be giant lovecraftian horrors, and Chandra channels the power of friendship to burn them away. Yeah sure the plane is destroyed, but that has zero consequences to the story and the plane is already on the rebound. Ugin bitches at them, then flies away, so there might be consequences but thats a large if. Emrakul keikaku's them into the moon thing, but they save innistrad, so draw there? Kaladesh they win, no questions asked. The big evil machine gets blown up by friendship again, and tezzert bamfs off.
>>
>>52402703
>>52402868
Speaking as an oldfag from the long forgotten days of yore, the reason why the Gatewatch pisses me off so much is because I've been seeing them for almost ten years and they've barely developed any. The Weatherlight Saga was the last time they tried some shit like this with recurring characters and it did not go for ten years and even then people bitched, I was one of them.

And at least back then actions had consequences and heroes got killed off pretty regularly. By the end of that roughly three (I might be misremembering) year plotline all but like three of the main characters and two or three side characters were fucking dead, and I personally think that was pretty bleak. I'm not saying everyone has to die or that the bad guys gotta win every time, but the Gatewatch never really seems to have that going.

You can say "Well actually they lost here because a bunch of continent got eaten," or "Oh well actually this side character's brother died," and that's all well and dandy, but losers like me are from a time when the MC's love interest died of plague, so it really just comes across as halfhearted comparatively. When Jace and friends can just planeswalk away and leave the poor plebians to their wreckage, it makes it hard for me to give a fuck about the plot at hand, and it kind of makes the Gatewatch look like assholes. "Glad we could help. Oh no you guys can bury the dead, we need to spend a short story knocking things over at Jace's house now to unwind."
>>
give me white zombies, damnit
>>
>>52403019
Oh shit they've been going on with these same characters for ten years??

Yeah if that's the case the hate makes a lot more sense, they seem really fucking static then. I just read Kaladesh but it felt like I was starting from zero with most of the characters.
>>
File: 48.jpg (67KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
48.jpg
67KB, 312x445px
>>52400960
Child, please be quiet.
>>
>>52401050
What's a mummy?

It's a fucking zombie with bandages.
>>
>>52401586
>It's not like there's a Cares About Hounds mechanic.
I can't believe I'm standing up for the filthy casuals when I say this, but Wizards wasting our fucking time with niche tribes to eke out that marketing value like they have with Aetherborn and returning Dwarfs cannot possibly compare to the benefit that could have been gained if they had made Aetherborn Zombies or Elementals and Dwarfs Kithkin - because those tribes already have existing support.

They would rather gain the value of stupid fucking new tribes (whatever that is) than give old players more of what they loved.

New creature types should be something completely wacky like the Eldrazi where the tribe has some mechanical purpose. But they've been inundating us with useless new shit like Naga, the aforementioned tribes above, and now reviving Jackals when I'm sure some filthy casual out there would love to have more Hounds.

They had the sense to mark Leonin and Nacatl as fucking cats.

It's just inelegant and fucking hypocritical when they talk about elegance the whole goddamn time. They said "Rebel" couldn't fit in the type line for Aether Revolt cards because it was "inelegant" when it would have helped all those casuals with their whatever Rebel deck.

It's offensive because it's inconsistent. I couldn't give a shit about random tribes but when I see a set like Innistrad flanked by only one set of zombies, spirits, and vampires I wonder what the fuck they were doing; because immediately you can throw out half the cards in the set because they will have zero synergy. Look at now, we're going to get zombies... until September when that shit rotates. And the thing is, it would have ALREADY rotated if it wasn't for the change. Great fucking job Wizards.
>>
File: UNCLE-ISTVAN.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
UNCLE-ISTVAN.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>52403080
Is he an Uncle and an Istvan?
>>
File: 159.jpg (57KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
159.jpg
57KB, 312x445px
>>52403067
For the sake of objectivity I'll say closer to like eight or nine years since they didn't actually feature in Lorwyn as characters, just cards. But yeah, that's why people are so tired of them, they've overstayed their welcomes. Chandra was a hot-headed fiery pyromancer redhead, and guess what she is now? We just happen to know she loves her mom too, now. This isn't even factoring in the handfuls of retcons that have been given out to characters over the years.
>>
>>52403131
>he never built an uncle deck
>>
File: hounddawg.png (358KB, 830x495px) Image search: [Google]
hounddawg.png
358KB, 830x495px
>>52403080
Sit down, toddler.
>>
>>52403165
>Chandra was a hot-headed fiery pyromancer redhead, and guess what she is now? We just happen to know she loves her mom too, now.
Hey.

Hey.

... she also loves elf pussy, okay.
>>
>>52403208
What's the point in having a lesbian firecrotch if she isn't a MILF and doesn't have enormous breasts?

Far as I'm concerned, Chandra's taking the slot for a good waifu.
>>
File: 7ef.jpg (29KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
7ef.jpg
29KB, 600x600px
Planeswalkers are to Jedi as MtG is to Star Wars
>>
>>52403208
I mean, I can live with that, even if it does crush my dreams of Ob Nixilis/Nissa hatefucking. I thought Chandra wanted Gideon's dick though?
>>
>>52403208
Who doesn't?
>>
>>52399531
>Companies that make their money off of understanding their customers probably can't engage in basic reasoning
>>
>>52403256
Chandra is bisexual.
>>
>>52403244
Replace Jedi with Lightsabers and you could be onto something
>>
>>52403256
From what I understand, I mean, I only read like the ass end of all this lore, but the vibe I'm getting is,

Chandra crushed on Gideon, but now sees him more as a big brother/father figure.

Gideon used to baby Chandra but now fell in love with her.

Chandra is falling for Nissa because Nissa helps her feel all that good inner peace shit.

And I still don't get Nissa. Does she like. Does she KNOW Chandra's got a boner for her, like, by animal instinct? Or is she supposed to be socially retarded? But either way I did get the vibe at least once that Nissa and Gideon would fight over what's "best" for Chandra.
>>
>>52403256

I think it's a "big brother" thing.
The interaction between all of the gatewatch is not well enough written to draw any real conclusions from.
Except for the Lili/Jace stuff, I unironically love their hate/love relationship.
>>
>>52403256
Red is the color of threesomes
>>
>>52403305

Nissa has NO character, she just calmly reacts to shit.
She had a character but they removed it and forgot to replace it with anything.

If anything Nissa should be into Jace since the entire Return to Zendikar story was basically her and Jace learning to mind meld to the point where the fully understood each other and shared literally all memories each had with each other.
But that was forgotten instantly.
>>
>>52403282
Must've missed that part. Ah well.

>>52403305
Guess that makes sense. It's a lot easier if you just assume Nissa has autism, and it wouldn't be the first 'cause Urza was a fucking autist too.

>>52403308
If those two got the lion's share of the screentime the story would be a bit better for it, I think.

>>52403310
You right my nigga you right.
>>
>>52403344
>calmly reacts to shit
>lets loose the Eldrazi because "lul why not maybe they'll just leave and be chill"
>>
>>52403367

That was back when she had a character bruh.

These days she's not allowed to have those qualities since they may be offensive.
Now she's just the one who stands in the back and occasionally says something deep about nature or something.
>>
>>52403234
Chandra is obviously there to fill the angry tsun-tsun role. Liliana is the predatory back-talker. They retconed Nissa from a crazed environmentalist racist to be the good girl after killing the actual good girl Elspeth (their stupid gender politics probably would not allow them to have a White Planeswalker represent the good girl).

That's not meant to be a joke. When it comes to Chandra and Liliana that is definitely a core component of their design. The Elsepth crack is only speculation and as uncharitable as possible but it's consistent with their line of thinking. Someone probably had the "foresight" to think, "Shit, we can't have the good girl be both ethnically white AND color White - that's like double-nigger. If I wasn't working at Wizards I would write some clickbait about this but thankfully I can kill her from within AND make a living off it." Seriously, whoever suggested Elspeth eating it probably forgot the fact that she was tortured her entire youth in the hands of genetic manipulators, or they knew and felt white chick physical and mental abuse doesn't count.
>>
>>52402868
>always has to unambiguously win
You can blame that to western style storytelling where everything is in the grey area and plot twist existed on every corner.
>>
>>52403396

That point is moot since Elspeth isn't dead anyway.
They made a fucking video just to show us she's still around and set her up to come back as B/W.

I honestly believe they "Killed" her just because they had one to many white walkers.
>>
>>52403396
>(their stupid gender politics probably would not allow them to have a White Planeswalker represent the good girl).
Why not? Could you go into more detail on how Wizards' "stupid gender politics" works, and how you know it works this way?
I wouldn't ask, except that somebody upthread claimed that Wizards doesn't kill of female planeswalkers, and it turned out that that wasn't actually true. So I'd like to know your rationale for thinking this, and if you have any evidence.
>>
File: 158.png (11KB, 447x378px) Image search: [Google]
158.png
11KB, 447x378px
>mfw second part of Amonkhet is Nicol Bolas making his LegionofDoom-Watch
>Tezzeret for blue/black, Tibalt for Red/Black, Garruk for green/black, Ob Nix for black/black and Nahiri for either white/black or mardu
>evil oaths
>wotc goes bankrupt
>>
>>52398003
>>52398007
A soft kek was had.
>>
>>52403396
...So you're saying that a proper ara-ara~ walker should be white/red...
>>
>>52403447
>wotc goes bankrupt
but that souds fucking awesome desu
the only problem is that Bolas would want to be ruler supreme and I find it hard to believe that anybody of that list except Tezzeret and maybe Tibalt would be cool with that.
>>
File: Oath of Lim-Dul.jpg (26KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Oath of Lim-Dul.jpg
26KB, 223x310px
>>52403447
>evil oaths
>>
>>52403396
Or: there weren't gender-obsessed boogeymen all around, and they had Heliod kill Elspeth because Heliod is a dick.
>>
>>52403475
Not you Nahiri, fuck off
>>
So what do you guys think the Invocations will be?
>>
>>52403440

He's being a over dramatic, but WotC does have some stupid gender politics.
Like announcing proudly that Kaladesh had more female creatures than male or the fucking shit show that was the "Garruk Rape" card, fuck.

It's mostly dumb shit in the background, but it's annoying from time to time.
>>
>>52403483
They'll just retcon all the doom-watch to follow Bolas because "he's the most evilest and a dwagon"

I doubt they care about the established characters that much that they wouldn't take the obvious bait of "evil team"
>>
>>52403447
>Ob Nixilis and Nahiri on a party together
What?
Literally, one half of Ob Nixilis' entire motivation is revenge upon Nahiri for his thousand years of agony trapped on Zendikar, sparkless. (The other half was regaining his spark and getting off Zendikar. Really, the gatewatch is like 2% of his notice.)
>>
>>52403344
>If anything Nissa should be into Jace since the entire Return to Zendikar story was basically her and Jace learning to mind meld to the point where the fully understood each other and shared literally all memories each had with each other.
I don't know maybe if you mindmeld with someone that ends up being the fastest way to know you're NOT into each other.

>>52403387
>>52403344
As someone totally unfamiliar with racist Nissa, the Nissa I read in the story felt like she was really lonely. Like she had the consistent theme of feeling cut out and disconnected from other people fundamentally, and whenever she's aware she could say the wrong thing she gets scared of saying the wrong thing. Her whole interaction with Chandra was as if Chandra was a scared puppy and Nissa could tell that there's something she's doing to set her off but she just can't tell what.

I don't know how much less personality she had compared to before but I don't know if I'd say it's completely non-existent, just underdeveloped because she wasn't the focus of the story I happened to have read.
>>
>>52403447
>wotc goes bankrupt
The dream of every mouthfrothing whining neckbeards, on par with the one at the next basement who always dream of GW going bankrupt.
>>
>>52403497
Anon, don't be ridiculous. Everyone at Wizards of the Coast is an extremely silly social justice warrior with a degree in Gender Studies, and also a Jew.
>>52403515
See? They're all very silly and make nothing but bad decisions, due to the fact that they're all extremely silly.
>dwagon
Oh, for fuck's sakes, you're not even trying to conceal the fact that you're shitposting now. That was never anybody's motivation except for Sarkhan's, and he went to the trouble of going fucking mental for that. Please off yourself at the next opportunity.
>>
>>52403440
Not that guy and think he was being rather hyperbolic, but Wizards has actively tried to push more "strong female characters" as part of the company's left-wing ethos. This would be fine, but taken to the extreme it leads to situations like Kaladesh where you have the Consulate being led by evil men and an uprising led by strong women of color with STEM degrees fighting their oppression. You see similar things with race where they inject characters of color into settings that wouldn't logically have them because "Well it's just fantasy and representation is good anyway, you racist."

Hell, this is the same company that had Chandra go "We're stronger together." during the election in the Kaladesh story.
>>
>>52403504
Nahiri being W/R is a disgrace to Boros. I'm talking real shit here.
>>
>>52398479
Your kind is the cancer that's killing the game. I would recommend drinking at least three full glasses of bleach while you get assfucked by an elephant.
>>
>>52403542
>mfw the consulate wasn't even shown to be all that evil
>but we were supposed to be on the rebel side for some reason
>>
>>52403525

>I don't know maybe if you mindmeld with someone that ends up being the fastest way to know you're NOT into each other.
They should at the very least be very familiar with each other, but I can't remember the last time they even spoke directly to each other.

>Nissa I read in the story felt like she was really lonely
I think that bit in the story was just her being on Ravnica, a plane that is fundamentally cut off from nature, also in the Zendikar story line she had this elemental that was actually the soul of Zendikar following her around, loosing it was a big blow for her.
>>
>>52403396
>Someone probably had the "foresight" to think, "Shit, we can't have the good girl be both ethnically white AND color White - that's like double-nigger."
Gideon is Greek, and for normalfags Greek is white.

>>52403514
>Like announcing proudly that Kaladesh had more female creatures than male
Yeah, but that's just advertising. Why should I give a shit that they'd advertise something like that in the first place? I don't really care. The "Garruk Rape" shitshow was similar, but reactive PR instead of proactive PR. They're the same thing, but being proactive (while a bit scummier, on part of basically being advertising) is just smarter for them, businesswise.
>>
>>52403542
>like Kaladesh where you have the Consulate being led by evil men and an uprising led by strong women of color with STEM degrees fighting their oppression.
Did we ever get to see the actual Consulate in the story? All I remember is that the government was full of mostly guys like Sram and the Vedalkin who were doing their best with really good intentions and it was literally just Tezzerat and the crazy cripple guy who were genuinely evil.
>>
>>52401044
Dwarves were in Alpha.
>>
>>52403557

Nah, Nahiri is super W/R.
Not every thing in a color needs to represent every aspect of that color, and definitely not every positive aspect of that color.
>>
>>52403542
And what does any of that have to do with either the color White of magic or Elspeth's race, which was the topic of the line I was quoting?

>>52403557
Nahiri isn't Boros. She might actually be even older than Boros in the first place. Nahiri is R/W, and I say that as a fan of R/W.
>>
>>52403583

I agree that those things are small in the larger scheme of things.
It's annoying but as long as it stays in the back we're fine.

The problem is that WotC is very adamant about pleasing their "audience", which is how we get shit like the Gatewatch and Theros.
>>
>>52403542
>Hell, this is the same company that had Chandra go "We're stronger together." during the election in the Kaladesh story.
Well no shit the story was about a revolution. They ALL say they're stronger together during a revolution. Otherwise there wouldn't be a revolution. It'd just be a bunch of assholes.
>>
>>52403585
That was a bit of hyperbole of my own, sorry. No, we only see Tezzeret, Baan, and Baral in the actual story. A lot of it is just poor writing with the social justice influence being secondary, though irritating nonetheless.

>>52403637
Oh, I was just elaborating on the gender politics of the company. That dude's an idiot, Elspeth's death was fine.

>>52403677
Sorry, but having one of your characters in your fantasy story quote a presidential candidate's slogan that your company openly backs during the election is a bit too on the nose for me.
>>
>>52403514
>>52403583
>Like announcing proudly that Kaladesh had more female creatures than male
What?
Is there any reason for this?
Are there actually more females than males in Kaladesh?
>>
>>52403645
>The problem is that WotC is very adamant about pleasing their "audience"
Yes, which they're required to do as part of a publicly-traded entity. What, did you think they were printing cards to give the artists jobs?
>...which is how we get shit like the Gatewatch and Theros.
Well, yes, in one sense that is how we get things like those, because Magic is a product owned by a publicly-traded entity and those are parts of Magic. Aside from that though it has very little to do with the problems of the Gatewatch, which could use better writing, and Theros, which had poorly designed mechanics and was generally underpowered.

Oh, and Theros actually had great lore, if you were trying to say it was bad. It's just that nobody paid any attention to it except newcomers because the set as a whole was underpowered and mechanically confusing or poorly designed.
>>
>>52403754
He means the story, not (most likely) the plane, which probably doesn't have any actual published census material.
>>
>>52403732
>Sorry, but having one of your characters in your fantasy story quote a presidential candidate's slogan that your company openly backs during the election is a bit too on the nose for me.
It's a really generic phrase.
>>
>>52403754

They're just trying to show a "progressive" image, I mean it doesn't actually matter at all, it's juts embarrassing that they annoyed it like it mattered.
>>
>>52403769
Besides I thought the campaign slogan was "I'm With Her". With the arrow and shit.
>>
>>52403760

Theros was shit because the flavor of just "Greek mythology, full stop.".
The story with Elspeth and the gods was alright but the world was the worst they've ever made.
>>
>>52403769
It's the context I'm complaining about. Maybe I'm just tilting at windmills, but you don't just toss that in when your employees are passing around petitions to vote Hillary in-house.

>>52403792
That was another one, both had a handful they used. Look at Trump with "Make America Great Again," "Build the Wall," etc.
>>
>>52403732
>>52403542
>Sorry, but having one of your characters in your fantasy story quote a presidential candidate's slogan that your company openly backs during the election is a bit too on the nose for me.
This would be a stronger complaint but for the fact that these storylines are written HOW LONG in advance again?
It was the same situation as Anheuser-Busch's unfortunately timed ad about their German founder experiencing racist assholes when he first immigrated to America. Which would have been perfectly fine for them any other year, but for the parallels that the ad struck with the whole Mexican situation.

>>52403802
The world was definitely not that bad. Seriously, Nyx being a combination of the realm of the gods that incorporated the Greeks' conception of the constellations was fucking cool, conceptually and visually.
>>
>>52403510
Most likely sorceries
>>
>>52403827
That's actually a fair point. How long are they written in advance, do you know? Legitimate question, not trying to drop any gotchas.
>>
>>52403827

Nyx and the gods was the only things Theros had going for it, but that's not nearly enough to make up for the rest of that setting.
>>
>>52402868
>A team of 4 neowalkers used the power of friendship to permanently kill two titans that a trio of oldwalkers could only manage to seal away
>Oh but it's okay because a lot of Zendikar got ravaged offscreen so it's totally not a victory.
Fuck off.

The gatewatch has lost nothing significant to themselves. None of them are shown to care about anything [anymore since I guess Nissa used to be super protective of elves at least] and thus they don't really have anything to lose. Significant named characters used to die all the fucking time in Magic. As recently as Theros we had Elspeth die and before that we had an actually interesting and important character kick the bucket in Venser. This isn't even touching on the Weatherlight saga where basically everyone other than Squee got killed.

Call me when Jace permanently loses both his eyes or Gideon has to sacrifice his mother to save a busload of orphans or something. Characters that the main characters don't know or care about (did any member of the gatewatch actually interact with Bruna or Gisela?) dying doesn't in any way make for emotional or effective storytelling.
>>
>>52400652
youve got the wrong end of the stick here, m8
>>
>>52403522
Sorin maybe, not nahiri?
>>
>>52403893

He met Sorin once, way after the fact, Nahiri was the one who took his spark away and cursed him to walk the earth as a demon.
>>
>>52403868
>so it's totally not a victory.
I said it wasn't a TOTAL victory, dipshit, in that they didn't just poof them out of existence cleanly. And we got fucking land cards for the Ruins of Sea Gate and Oran-Rief, don't tell me that was "offscreen" when it wasn't.
>The gatewatch has lost nothing significant to themselves. None of them are shown to care about anything [anymore since I guess Nissa used to be super protective of elves at least] and thus they don't really have anything to lose.
Nissa was shown many, many times to care for Zendikar. Also, Chandra's family says what?

>Call me when Jace permanently loses both his eyes or Gideon has to sacrifice his mother to save a busload of orphans or something.

>Ring Ring!
>Hey, Anon? It's Anon. Listen, Nissa just lost both her legs below the waist, she's a double amputee now. And Ajani's brother overdosed on heroin.
>Uh-huh. I see. They're just making up cheap contrived emotional nonsense to get people to give a shit about their characters? Gotcha, gotcha. And Nissa's new condition is also "pandering" to disabled minorities? All right, that makes sense. I'll let you know when it gets worse. Alright, talk to you later, bye.
>Click!
>>
>>52403497
>gender-obsessed boogeymen
I'll stop believing in gender-obsessed boogeymen when the gender-obsessed stop getting so much fucking public attention and derail conversations by dipping their rank fingers into anything that offends them (which more or less is everything).

If you told me two years ago a significant part of the free-world was at risk of electing authoritarian shitflingers to office, I would have laughed in your face. If you told me that feminism suddenly went back to being about man-hating from a movement about equality and minorities would compete in persecution-olympics and impose a hierarchy based on privilege, I probably would have laughed then too.

I have gay friends who are telling me that they actually feel ashamed to be lumped in with all the fucking crazies that have suddenly expressed "solidarity" for them simply because they're gay - as if that makes them "better" humans. To them, it's functionally going back to the days where you try to keep your sexual preference secret because all the fucking crazies are giving your "group" a bad image.
>>
>>52403127
I have no strong feelings toward Aetherborn as a creature type (though I think I prefer it to elemental since humanoid elementals almost always feel like the flamekin to me) but Dwarves are definitely better than Kithkin. Magic has its roots in pulp sword and sorcery fantasy and dwarves are absolutely an important part of that. It's actually incredibly surprising that Dwarves aren't on roughly the same popularity scale as Merfolk (though still less than elves and goblins) and them being brought back to the game is long overdue.

Kithkin appeared for all of one block and while the block did have heavy tribal themes it's pretty ridiculous to expect players to prefer weird OC not!dwarves to actual dwarves.

You are entirely right about Rebels, that was retarded on Wizards' part. I would also prefer hounds to be used over Jackals too.
>>
>>52401613
Maro doesn't boss over the creative team, and the creative team are possibly the biggest group of retards currently working on the game.
>>
>>52402170
>1. Because Kaladesh was shit
Kaladesh had several cities, not just one.
>>
>>52403942
Have you considered that there are gender-obsessed bogeymen on the prowl but Heliod killing Elspeth wasn't part of it? That's where I'm inclined to lean, at least at this point.
>>
>>52400437
It's ludicrous just how bad /tg/ is at magic sometimes.
>>
>>52404003

Not in the block, the whole block took place in the same city.
>>
>>52401301

For non HUEs:

>Nightfall: Destroy all creature with power equal or above 3

>Dawn: Consequences (Cast this spell only from the graveyard. After that, exile it)

Send alll creature cards with power equal or below 2 back from your cemetery back to your hand.
>>
>>52404046
>Nightfall
It'll probably be translated as "Dusk," just sayin. Wizards likes alliteration or some other kind of unity for different names on split cards.
>>
>>52404063

Most likely yes.
>>
>>52403827
>This would be a stronger complaint but for the fact that these storylines are written HOW LONG in advance again?
Scripted in advance, not written. They're pretty much written as they come, but the writers have to follow the general direction of the script (which is typically at least 6 months ahead of writing) without deviation.
e.g. there had to be a scene where Nahiri fights Sorin with five flaming lithomancy swords, because Nahiri's Wrath was already set in stone as a card, but the exact battle was not written at the time.
>>
>>52404149
Alright, thanks for the info.
>>
>>52403344
>Nissa has NO character, she just calmly reacts to shit.
>She had a character but they removed it and forgot to replace it with anything.
> Yfw old Nissa was brainwashed to new Nissa because of the eldrazi debacle
> Origin wasn't a retcon, it was a in-universe implanted memory
> Yfw old "elf Hitler" Nissa emerged back and become an antagonist
>>
>>52402038
>And I want Garruk back
>Edgy hunter man is so cool

This is why the /pol/sting is annoying even to people that agree with you about the shitty effects of identity politics or whatever. You don't actually want a good story, you'll get tribal and defend anything that's "on your team", even if it's only because "the other team" doesn't like it.
>>
>>52404012
I'll give you that shanking Elspeth was exciting. But the feeling of awe was hollow given that there was no reason to give a fuck about her before that point; and I did try to give a fuck but no fucks were to be found. Their storytime articles fucking suck; anybody whose read a book in the past two decades will agree with that. They've ceased to tell any story in their cards or flavor text instead inserting random off-characters that never appear again. Everyone's jerking over art of some guy aiming a crossbow at a monster or "Crab" in a type line when I can whip up any of that shit on Deviant Art. Having art on cards of Elspeth wreck a Hydra or hold up a god-weapon just doesn't convey shit. She looked cool and that was it. Was there even a card showing Elspeth getting wrecked? I've seen the art but I'm certain it doesn't actually exist on a card - what's the fucking point if it's not on the card. It's like JK Rowling telling people Dumbledore was gay after the fact; if it was important enough to mention then put it in your fucking books; likewise if it was fucking important put it in your goddamn cards. All we know is that Ajani picked up her cloak, that is IT.

I'm no longer willing to be charitable to Wizards.

They have utterly ceased to impress me with anything smart in the past several years. Sorry, everything they've done is "smart" from a business perspective, but it's been grossly anti-consumer; each of the Masters sets and an utterly reprehensible online client exemplify that.

Once upon a time, we got good promos for going to events. Now we get papercraft helicopters and posters. Just THINK how much extra effort and money goes into their idiotic cardboard science than just giving us a promo that is super good.
>>
>>52402601
It's funny because the same people that get pissed off about "fake nerds" are usually the people that spend so much time arguing with people about why they should stop talking about "cultural appropriation."
>>
>>52403930
You actually said "(win?)" and "(so was it a loss?" you fucking mongloid. Generally you shouldn't try to claim you said something when what you actually said is just a few dozen posts above you.

You obviously don't seem to have a very good grasp of the English language so let me fucking educate you:
"win?" implicitly suggests that whether or not it was a win is uncertain. "was it a loss?" similarly suggests that a situation may or may not have been a loss. A loss is not the same thing as 'not a total victory' it is, by definition, NOT a victory.

>a lot of zendikar
>names two locations
Time Spiral block showed how to show that an entire plane was getting fucked. BFZ was a joke in comparison.

>Nissa was shown many, many times to care for Zendikar
No. We were told many, many times that she cared for Zendikar. Nissa didn't show jack shit. Even if you want to chalk that down to poor writing, Zendikar is alive and well right now and the damages it suffered were temporary. It's roughly the equivalent of the love interest breaking her arm or running a fever. Not in any way an actual loss.

>Also, Chandra's family says what?
Chandra's family was killed in her origin story. Offscreen. We later found out that her mother actually survived and is now currently leading the new consul or whatever.

>[a whole lot of projecting]
I didn't whine about Urza getting fucking decapitated and I didn't claim that Elspeth getting killed was 'contrived emotional nonsense'. Ditto for Hanna and everything else relating to Barrin.

Since you're obviously somewhat challenged, I'll include the points you completely failed to address:
-4 Neowalkers using the power of friendship to do something that 3 old walkers weren't powerful enough to do.
-Characters the main characters don't know or care about dying isn't emotionally impactful or make for good storytelling
-Significant characters used to die all the time
>>
>>52403574
This, the fucking rebels are a group of terrorists that crashed a large aircraft into a scientific wonder. Sound familiar?
>>
>>52404219
Oh man I'm not disagreeing with you there, and I honestly didn't give a fuck about Elspeth getting killed, Theros was the height of when I'd tuned out from MTG as a Vorthos. I'm just saying I don't think it was for the sake of a political agenda, though I do agree that they have one (and they do too, they've stated as much).

And I agree, it's why I give the company about $4 a year at this point and just play Cockatrice w/ friends at this point. Even if cracking open a pack is fun now and then, I'm always disappointed with what I see inside.

>>52404207
I don't get why people are so quick to jump to Garruk's defense, he started it. That whole controversy over the card art was retarded, but it doesn't make him a better character, though I'll say he was cool on a stupid "big man smash" level in the same way that Liliana's cool on a "sexy girl summon zombies" level.

>>52404242
Cultural appropriation is bullshit.
>>
>>52403868
>>A team of 4 neowalkers used the power of friendship to permanently kill two titans that a trio of oldwalkers could only manage to seal away
Ugin could have killed them at any time and it was his caution as to their true purpose that stayed his hand. He deliberately manipulated Sorin and Nahiri into believing it was an impossible task.
When they were killed, Ugin was not even surprised and immediately deduced the method they used.
Also, they used the channeled power of a living plane that is expressly and repeatedly said to be unreasonably more powerful than usual planes, with unlimited access to the sum total of its might as Zendikar is alive and loves the taste of Nissa's elf pussy. If that's friendship, then friendship is some niche fucking stuff.
>>
>>52403542
I don't think having different races on their various planes is that big of a deal tbqh
>>
>>52404250
>-4 Neowalkers using the power of friendship to do something that 3 old walkers weren't powerful enough to do.
See >>52404353
Ugin didn't even blink at killing the eldrazi and Nahiri and Sorin were kept in the dark

Straight from the story itself
>"Yes, yes," said Ugin. "It all follows. You could hold them using the glyph, but without the hedrons to bleed off energy and hold the leylines in place, your only options were to let the titans go or pull them fully into physical space and destroy them."
>Jace blinked. "You said that wasn't possible."
>"I said it wasn't possible for you," said Ugin. "And you led me to believe you weren't going to try, so spare me your sanctimony."
>>
>>52403542
>You see similar things with race where they inject characters of color into settings that wouldn't logically have them because "Well it's just fantasy and representation is good anyway, you racist."
Dude what.

"Logically have them" in what sense.
>>
>>52404325
The point >>52404242 is making is that the exact same feelings and events that get people whining
about "fake nerds" are also getting people whining about "cultural appropriation"

It's people from outside a persecuted community waltzing in and enjoying things that would get members of the community mocked for
>>
>>52404207
That's what pisses me off about today's politics!

It's sometimes not about "Does it align with my beliefs?" but "Does it go against my opponent's beliefs?"
AKA: >WTF, I hate/love X now!
Not all politics is a Zero Sum Game!

>>52403942
Speaking of homosexuals, I've heard that there is a lot of in-fighting within the LGBTQ community. There was one video game character that turned out to be straight, and several twatters and tumblranians got pissed off because someone who looked like a lesbian wasn't one. To be fair, opinions on tumblr are mostly discarded, even by other Left-leaning folks. I hear that there is "No True Fag" type thing going on, where gay men who aren't acting campy aren't "true" gay men.
>>
>>52404454
>Speaking of homosexuals, I've heard that there is a lot of in-fighting within the LGBTQ community. There was one video game character that turned out to be straight, and several twatters and tumblranians got pissed off because someone who looked like a lesbian wasn't one. To be fair, opinions on tumblr are mostly discarded, even by other Left-leaning folks. I hear that there is "No True Fag" type thing going on, where gay men who aren't acting campy aren't "true" gay men.
You are vastly overestimating how organized any of these thoughts and ideas are.
>>
>>52404325
>Cultural appropriation is bullshit.
Right, definitely. I'm sure most reasonable people don't really care about cultural appropriation either. I just think it's probably true that basically all angry people on the internet screaming about "FAKE NERDS" are also people who dismiss cultural appropriation. A one way containment.
>>
>>52404454
>Speaking of homosexuals
This has always been going on, in any community once you look deep enough.
Hell, I've had people say that I'm not a true magic player because I don't have a $5000+ legacy deck and that I'm not a true magic player because I don't play standard in the same breath.
>>
>>52397838
Is this... DARE I SAY....?
>>
>>52404250
>"win?" implicitly suggests that whether or not it was a win is uncertain. "was it a loss?" similarly suggests that a situation may or may not have been a loss.
Well, I'm glad you comprehended that bit. I was about to explain it because I was worried you didn't understand what I mean by "ambiguous."
>>A loss is not the same thing as 'not a total victory' it is, by definition, NOT a victory.
Ah, so the phrase you were ACTUALLY having trouble with was "total victory." You see, the wins achieved by the Gatewatch can be called "ambiguous" because they were not total victories: that is, they were not perfect and, depending on your perspective, could even be viewed as losses. E.g., as far as the planeswalkers succeeded in preserving Oran-Rief, they failed.

>two locations
It's worth mentioning here that I was using those two locations as counterexamples to your claim that the destruction happened "offscreen." It did not. Secondly, it's worth mentioning that "Oran-Rief" was a rather significantly large location, being that it was, if I'm not mistaken, a continent-sized rainforest. In essence, this would be like saying "One place got destroyed, so what?" in response to news that a kaiju had wiped Brazil or perhaps Australia off the face of the planet.

>It's roughly the equivalent of the love interest breaking her arm or running a fever. Not in any way an actual loss.
I'll disagree on this again, and refer you to my comment on the scale of the destruction. On that note, I'll point out that Sea Gate was inhabited, and in fact was a center of international trade. So, it was probably a loss for the people who used to live there, and perhaps General Tazri.

>We later found out that her mother actually survived and is now currently leading the new consul or whatever.
>I didn't read the Kaladesh story
I mean, me neither, but even from only seeing the story cards I know that her mother was personally imperiled by the events of it, even if she wasn't killed.
>>
>>52403960
To be completely fair.
Kithkin were OC donutsteel hobbits, not OC not!dwarves
>>
>>52404385
My problem with it stems from the fact that they're doing it for the sake of representation. It's not that I mind other races being there, I just feel like the ethnic setup should be more believable instead of everyone lives everywhere, like Jamuura in Dominaria, for instance. There were dark-skinned people that showed up in other places and some light-skinned people there because we can assume some folk immigrated to and from the various continents present, but the new worlds aren't fleshed out enough to really offer that possibility.

>>52404410
Like how there presumably wouldn't really be dark-skinned folk in Innistrad or light-skinned folk in Amonkhet, though I suppose that is presumptuous on my part and I'm trying to apply too much real world logic to a fantasy setting, so I should rescind that comment, but the talk of representation is nonetheless something I find irritating because it just goes to show they aren't writing the way they are for the sake of producing a good story. I complain in the same way when they do things for obvious marketing reasons.

>>52404446
>>52404483
Yeah, those people are wrong too.
>>
>>52404410
It's well known historically that the far off, fictional plane of Tarkir was all white.
>>
>>52404446
Complaining about "Fake nerds" is not about mockery, its about boiling down a complex culture into a easily digestible pap for attention or financial gain.

Its more akin to people who complain about native americans being portrayed with stereotypical feather headdresses.
>>
File: 110.jpg (59KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
110.jpg
59KB, 312x445px
>>52404385
I am advocating for reusing preexisting races because those races have preexisting support and synergies that could be boosted.

All they have to do is put one useful word in the type line and it helps someone build a tribal deck or EDH deck or Cube synergy. When they don't, that's just another useless card that goes into the trash because they decided to type the cards as fucking Jellyfish.

>see image
Could you imagine if this card was an Elf? I don't care if it actually doesn't see play in Legacy Elves, it would make a LOT of people happy just thinking about it. It would have been FREE VALUE if they just spent ten minutes asking the community or anybody who still gives a fuck about this game about their decisions.

But no, they do not ask. They just waste opportunity to help casual players and this card it wholly and utterly useless forever, seriously it's just shit Burning Tree Emissary.

Literally every player is told this nowadays, "Don't build around that mechanic/tribe, Wizards won't support it in Standard or ever." That's a fact - that people all learn this and the truth of it. Think about how terrible that actually is.
>>
>>52404250
And now for stuff I "failed to address" that were, in fact, simply not worth mentioning.
>power of friendship
Ugin's dialogue after the fact heavily implies that he knew a way to destroy the Titans but refrained from doing so because he didn't know what possible effects such actions would have on the multiverse. As far as I'm concerned that's writing the problem away, but you can't act like they haven't acknowledged that in the story.
>-Characters the main characters don't know or care about dying isn't emotionally impactful or make for good storytelling
I'll agree with this on principle, but disagree in that the story is not about the gatewatch to the exclusion of everyone else. Did Jace know Gisela before she died? Who cares? WE know Gisela, and a few of my personal favorite legendary characters did too, and so I cared about them when they cared about her dying. That's the best response I have to that.
>-Significant characters used to die all the time.
The problem with this is that you can either have people dying all the time and coming back to life, or you have to come up with an infinite stream of unique characters as you repeatedly kill them off once people get attached. That last method isn't good storytelling either and you know it. Wizards is wisely cooling down a bit on significant deaths to make them more, well, significant. I can't fault them for that at all.
>>
>>52403893
>sorin, one of the few characters that could be considered actual friends with ugin
>working with bolas
>>
>>52404560
Wait, were there actually elves on innistrad? Planeswalkers not withstanding.
>>
>>52404592
Innistrad used to have elves, but they were rendered extinct at some point.

One of the writers of Shadows Over Innistrad also added in that Innistrad used to have a BW angel to complete the set of Sigarda, Bruna, and Gisela, but Avacyn killed her.
>>
>>52404592
Innistrad is humans and mutated humans only
>>
>>52404527
Found one.

>>52404560
I was talking about ethnic groups, black people/white people etc. I see the confusion though and do agree about creature types.
>>
>>52401010
Captain Plane, he's a Hero?
gonna take the player base down to Zero.
>>
>>52404219
They had an ebook, which is what they tried doing after the novels flubbed but before they thought 'hey maybe we should actually let people know this shit and put it on the cards and shit'
>>
>>52404739
Don't forget the web comics they tried using for a while.
>>
>>52404661
>Found one.
Nice refutation, wankstain. I'm claiming the two are incomparable, not that one is okay and the other isn't.
>>
fuck kim krienes and fuck white people
>>
>>52404505
> but the talk of representation is nonetheless something I find irritating because it just goes to show they aren't writing the way they are for the sake of producing a good story.
You know, I think I'm going to go against the grain a bit here.

I do not believe promoting a good story and being mindful of representation are mutually exclusive.

Why do they show off the representation? Because it brings them positive attention, because it drums up a visible fanbase, because when you have girls think "Hey this is relatable to me I could pull off this look" and cosplay as your characters they are basically advertising for you and spreading their brand- which you would need to do ANYWAY because the story is ALWAYS going to be attached to a PRODUCT that needs to be SOLD. And cosplay is just one excruciatingly specific avenue out of hundreds that got opened up by having an audience realize there are characters with hooks that grab their interest and make them want to know more about their place in the source material. It's all part of the character-driven approach to tackling the Magic storyline.
>>
>>52404787
Yes stories about worlds have their own mystique. But ultimately people love people and love reading stories about people and seeing unconventional representation like a black guy who is a vampire is a really big and easy way to show that Magic's world isn't cookie cutter Tolkien fare as many people might assume from hearing a name like "Magic The Gathering", there are circumstances to read into and personal details to be appreciated. Like going back to the black vampire thing. Yeah maybe it IS weird that there's a black guy in Innistrad. What's his fucking story? You wouldn't be asking for his story if he was just pale slick haired Dracula guy. You already saw his story a million times, you've got him figured out. But black vampire dude... was he traveling when he got bit? Was he here before the white people were? Did he rise through the nobility himself? It's just a guy on a card but the small act of representing a race in an unconventional role is enough to spark off a trail of intrigue and imagination which is ultimately the goal of the card art, let alone the actual written stories where you're expected to actually expand on these people's personalities.

In fact I would go so far as to argue that it'd be BAD for them NOT to bring attention to themselves as far as representation goes. It would even be bad for the story, because what use is a story if you can't grow an audience to read it.

>>52404739
Isn't the ebook just a collection of the story chapters they put on their website or are you talking about something else?

From what I understand releasing chapters online episodically ended up being extremely popular.
>>
>>52404777
Found a BIG one
>>
>>52404787
>I do not believe promoting a good story and being mindful of representation are mutually exclusive.
I disagree. Writing a story, and to a greater extend, crafting a narrative, is a sequence of choices. Will you choose what makes the most sense or creates the most interesting series of events? Or will you choose what ticks the diversity checkboxes and avoids stepping on toes?

It is not impossible that both conditions are satisfied, but there will be times when you must go with one or the other. If you repeatedly make decisions that make the story worse, but more inclusive, the story will suffer.

If your goal is inclusivity, you will, by necessity, make a worse story.
>>
>>52404865
>I disagree. Writing a story, and to a greater extend, crafting a narrative, is a sequence of choices. Will you choose what makes the most sense or creates the most interesting series of events? Or will you choose what ticks the diversity checkboxes and avoids stepping on toes?
Those are not the choices. You're just framing things wrong in a deliberate way to make it seem like encouraging a wide diversity in character design can ONLY get in the way of good sense. Which is inane when discussing worlds of pure fantasy. They could all be blue and purple and it wouldn't matter, hell, they DID have a race of blue people in Kaladesh, this idea that having a diversity in race goes against any "sense" is in itself nonsense.
>>
>>52397729
Not exactly, the tokens (according to the article) won't have a mana cost so it won't be a copy

This is gonna be a nightmare along with exert in tournaments for judges

seriously wtf is this bullshit and they won't reprint counterspell for modern? This shit is just convoluted AND bad
>>
>>52404824
found the dunning kruger
>>
>>52404787
Ah see, I have to disagree. Perhaps I'm just a relic, but representation for its own sake to me just seems trite.

>>52404814
No see, I just look at this theoretical black vampire and go "I see, they're trying to push an agenda." It makes the story feel weaker to me because it feels like they're sacrificing the verisimilitude for the sake of real-world appeal. Implying that the example of Blacula here is in an unconventional role would imply that a black man being black has any special meaning in the setting proper, it's the same mistake I was making earlier by saying that Amonkhet shouldn't have light-skinned people. That's not to say dark-skinned characters can't be interesting, Teferi's one of my favorite characters in the franchise's long history, but when you're putting them in just because it might appeal to some group that you can potentially shill to, that's not doing a service to the story. Write a black dude to write a black dude, not to win points with your San Fran clique and potentially sell Tyrone a few packs.
>>
>>52404814
Representation doesn't really matter and isn't bad unless they do it in a cringey, SJW/tumblr-esque mannner.
>>
>>52400132
>>52400374

So basically... Siege Rhino with Flash and/or Embalm is on the way.
>>
>>52404814
Not the Theros (and Return to Ravnica) ones.
They were separate things from the online stuff, an ATTEMPT at something more like the novels they had been putting out but in electronic format.
Didn't go well, not many people read them, fucking nobody knew what the plot of those blocks were because of course the cards explained nothing.
It was after that that they decided to just have it all be free on their site, instead of something you bought separate.
>>
>>52404899
It's a copy, except it's white instead of its other colors, is a zombie in addition to its other types, and has CMC 0.
Copies are allowed to specify things like that and still be copies.
>>
>>52404897
You are thinking at too simple a level. This is not merely about skin color. Lets consider the case of dark-skinned innistrad humans. If WotC wanted to make a block about an entirely dark-skinned human race (like, say, the next one), no-one would complain that they were just trying to be diverse. Uncreative, perhaps. If WotC made a plane that was explicitly metropolitan, where different races of all skin colors co-existed, that would make sense. Shoe-horning a dark-skinned human into what is clearly a representation of medieval Europe makes no sense. Had they established that dark-skinned humans were a thing, it would have made sense. Perhaps some fluff about a far-off province where the sun shines brightly, with the residents reflecting the climate. Hell, even if it was shown that there were dark-skinned innistradians in other cards or promo art, that would have made some sense.

But no, just a random card with an out of place skin color with an equally out of place hair style.

The issue isn't that there are different skin colors, its that they are present in such a way as to make it obvious why they did it.
>>
>>52404917
>No see, I just look at this theoretical black vampire and go "I see, they're trying to push an agenda." It makes the story feel weaker to me because it feels like they're sacrificing the verisimilitude for the sake of real-world appeal.
Perhaps you're stuck with a certain preconception of how things should be. I feel this is not the sort of perspective that should go with fantasy. Fantasy is not about sticking to preconceptions.

>Write a black dude to write a black dude
Blackula isn't going to be a written character. He's just a card art persona. He's never going to be anything other than the guy on card art. What are you proposing? That minorities can't prop up in unexpected appearances WITHOUT an actual backstory written behind them? That goes against the idea of crafting the immersive experience of having people look at the art, and then have a reaction to it, and then have their mind fill in the details on their own. Contrary to what some might think, "Immersive" doesn't necessarily mean presenting things in a way that doesn't ever cause people to do a double take and take a closer look. Sometimes it's just about showing a snapshot of an unwritten story and slapping it down within the small borders of the card art and going, "Why not?" and the audience coming to terms with the fact that there's no real in-universe answer to that question which broadens their idea of what's possible in the setting and- thus- gets them immersed in it.

I believe you are too cynical. Yes you can recognize there is an element of agenda and cash grabbing in it. I wouldn't deny that those things are present. But to be so preoccupied that those things exist, when of course they exist because at the end of the day it's a product made with the hands of hundreds and hundreds of people, like man, at some point you just have to accept the profiteering card game for what it is without it being the only factor worth considering.
>>
>>52405038
>Shoe-horning a dark-skinned human into what is clearly a representation of medieval Europe makes no sense.
No, it is in fact this phrase that is nonsense. Even in real life there were dark skinned people in medieval Europe so why the fuck would it be absurd in the magical make-believe world that is only LOOSELY BASED on medieval Europe?
>>
>>52405013
cool. I still find the wording is terribad though.

GJ on simplistic game designs for common/uncommon wizards
>>
>>52401775
She literally was.
>>
File: 1483459196272.jpg (152KB, 763x841px) Image search: [Google]
1483459196272.jpg
152KB, 763x841px
>>52399018
If you're interested I've got something else I can put in your mouth that I hear tastes even better!
>>
>>52405038
You've summed up my initial complaint in a far more intelligent manner, much appreciated.

>>52405059
While you are correct that I am very cynical, I'll admit, I think I might be less cynical if they'd stop bringing it up themselves. Like I said, I have no problem with people that don't match the dominant ethnicity appearing, I mentioned how back in Dominaria I could just assume some degree of immigration throughout the world, but the worlds they present now are so one-dimensional I do think it feels out of place.

>>52405089
You mean those guys who were only present after they invaded?
>>
File: 185a[1].jpg (71KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
185a[1].jpg
71KB, 312x445px
>>52405038
There were, in fact, dark skinned and asian humans in the first Innistrad block.
Not as many as in the second go around, of course
>>
>>52405089
>Even in real life there were dark skinned people in medieval Europe
Yes, but not the parts of Europe innistrad is based on.

Again, the problem is not dark-skinned people present, but present without explanation. From this, we can glean that WotC only cared enough to represent them, not to integrate them smoothly into the world. Thus, we can deduce that they are doing this for cynical reasons.

I'll demonstrate how to do this appropriately. Until Skyrim, I had never played an Elder Scrolls game. The redguard are a race of dark skinned people, out of place in the not-Scandinavia the game takes place in. However, the fluff texts adequately explains that they are from a far-away place, and there are scenes where they face prejudice for their origin, as well as more fluff talking about them.

Clearly, they are fleshed-out part of that world, the people who wrote them cared.

WotC didn't care about that one dark-skinned person, they put them in because they wanted to tick a box, that's the problem.
>>
>>52397838
I'd tap it.
>>
>>52401976
MaRo has claimed he wishes he could retcon Otaria, Terisaria and Sarpadia were planes instead of Dominarian continents because words have to be some NWO monoculture or they're shit in his fucked up mind.
/pol/ is always right.
>>
>>52405150
Not to mention the OG Snapcaster Mage was based on a Chinese guy. Makes me wonder what lies beyond the providences.
>>
>>52405136
>You mean those guys who were only present after they invaded?
Which black people invade? Or are you saying the dark skinned people were invaded? From where? North Africa? West Africa? Indians? Particularly tanned Persians? Or perhaps one of them was a visiting scholar, or a merchant, or a slave, or a refugee. If you look at a dark skinned person in medieval Europe and think, "There is literally only one reason and role for that person being there", then I'm afraid you have an excruciatingly narrow view of human history AS A WHOLE, let alone the loose allowances to be made in replicating any aspect of that history in magical fiction.
>>
WoTC could get away with having weirdly diverse planes if they just explained it away as "planeswalkers from planes with a distinct ethnic background went and banged some of the locals of a foreign plane and that's why there are Asians/Blacks/whatever on this plane"
>>
>>52405152
>Yes, but not the parts of Europe innistrad is based on.
Please be specific. Which part of medieval Europe is Innnistrad based on where you would not see a dark skinned person? I am willing to do the research to back up your conception of that area.
>>
>>52405230
There can be any number of reason for individuals to be somewhere, but a demographic typically shares an explanation across large numbers of its members. I was referring to the moors specifically since prior to their occupation dark-skinned folk were negligible in number in Europe, to my understanding. Feel free to correct me on this.

>>52405256
It'd be better than nothing, yeah.
>>
>>52405150
>>52405210
>>52405230
>>52405269
>>52405284
>>52405256
My headcanon is that Innistrad has always had foreigners, but there are more foreigners in the events of SOI than INN because Avacyn came back and Innistrad has become less dangerous enough to increase immigration and travel from other areas.
>>
>>52405284
>There can be any number of reason for individuals to be somewhere
Why does the discussion need to go any further than this when card art typically focuses down on characters to an individual level? If there is any conception of demographic it's only because you are seeing multiple of such individuals. Which is natural since of course there wouldn't literally only be ONE black guy in the whole of Innistrad. What then is the threshold from "the occasional dark skinned guy in Innistrad" to "woah WAY too many dark skinned guys in Innistrad"? When does a pile of sand become a mountain?
>>
>>52405269
Pretty much anywhere north of Spain? I realize you've been conditioned to think that humans are just naturally diverse, but up until one or two hundred years ago, long distance migration was incredibly risky, and was usually the purview of the incredibly rich or the incredibly desperate. Not to mention the actual racism that was present in these parts of the world would hamper efforts to integrate.
>>
>>52405302
Man if they would develop the other continents and give us other ethnicities with their own cultures that'd be great, I'd not only have no problem with that, I'd be quite happy with it, assuming they didn't phone it in. It'd make perfect sense that they'd want to get some sweet protection from Avacyn, or just band together with their fellow men since the Eldrazi are presumably a plane-wide threat.

>>52405192
MaRo has other ideas, though, sadly.

>>52405333
It's like I've said, my problem is mainly that it's very clear they're doing it for cynical reasons, namely to push representation for the sake of appealing to other demographics and to feel good about themselves.

I'm not saying they can't exist, but why not note it in lore if your setting is cosmopolitan? "With increasing trade from foreign powers, Innistrad's population became more racially diverse while still bound in a faith in Avacyn, etc., etc." And don't get me wrong, it's not just a thing in Innistrad cause muh white people. If Amonkhet is a desert world full of white dudes, I'll have questions.
>>
>>52405192
>MaRo has claimed he wishes he could retcon Otaria, Terisaria and Sarpadia were planes instead of Dominarian continents because words have to be some NWO monoculture or they're shit in his fucked up mind.
It's not that that's a bad setting to him, but it's not something he can create a marketable product around. Expansive and generic fantasy land with myriads of cultures and flavors is great for story, but it's bad for designing a block with finite cards.

Dominaria was great when we still had generic magic editions in addition to the blocks. Not when each set is a block unto its own, no more.
>>
>>52405456
You could still utilize it just by having stories take place on the various continents while referencing the others, crossing multiple continents, or even foreshadowing what's going to be seen in a later set with word from abroad.
>>
>>52405398
>It's like I've said, my problem is mainly that it's very clear they're doing it for cynical reasons, namely to push representation for the sake of appealing to other demographics and to feel good about themselves.
"To feel good about themselves" is such a vague phrase that demeans the value they see in representation without lending any credence to why they see that value. Even just taking their word for it the value they have in representation is multidimensional; it lets them connect more personally to more fans, it lets them think about their own setting in new ways, they create new stories out of it like the tranny in Takrir that one chick who smiles at death with too many vowels in her name, stories they would not otherwise have bothered with because you wouldn't be able to tell it unless you intentionally pushed your own borders as to what characters get the spotlight in your product.

>I'm not saying they can't exist, but why not note it in lore if your setting is cosmopolitan?
Why not let it speak for itself? You just came up with the explanation perfectly fine just there. Show don't tell. In fact that's something I wish the actually written Magic stories did more, christ, some of those writers need a refresher course in that. But that's another problem rooted in the varying levels of technical skill of specific writers in the literal story section of the Magic franchise rather than the creative team (including the artists and the designers) as a whole.

> If Amonkhet is a desert world full of white dudes, I'll have questions.
See I'm having trouble seeing why pale people in the desert is so incomprehensible. Especially in the Egypt themed setting, since I actually spent quite a lot of time in that country, and man Egyptians came in all shades, they were either pale as fuck or just a shade off the Sudanese refugees and everything in between. You can have questions but that question is just weird to me.
>>
>yfw paradox engine ends up skyrocketing when Exert ends up somehow being broken
>>
>>52405629
>"To feel good about themselves" is such a vague phrase that demeans the value they see in representation without lending any credence to why they see that value.
Said value is what is being debated here, so this argument goes nowhere.

>it lets them connect more personally to more fans
This argument is as weak as it was the first time it was used. People can connect to people who are not like them, this is the foundation of empathy. If you requite the protagonist to share your skin color, genital configuration, or taste in sexual partners, there is something wrong with your head. Rather than crafting narratives where these themes are explored, these traits are simply hoisted onto characters who otherwise don't need them, or could be left ambiguous, for the sake of cynical attention grabbing. Again, this is the aspect which is, to borrow from your own vocabulary, "problematic".

>Egyptians came in all shades
I'm fairly certain this is due to their place as a historically major civilization, and all of the metropolitanism that comes with it. If we assume that the world of Amonkhet is not-Egypt and only not-Egypt, there would be no obvious source for this diversity. As diverse as Egypt is now, I doubt it was that way 3000 years ago.
>>
>>52405629
>"It lets them connect more personally to more fans."
Explain to me how they connect to fans better by including an artificially diverse cast? As for the matter of creating new stories out of it, that's fine. Xantcha dealt with topics like gender and I had no problems with her because they didn't go on to gloat about how progressive they were. A sense of unearned moral superiority is something I find infuriating, but I suppose my irritation comes from the writers being shitty writers AND total assholes separately and the two issues aren't necessarily connected.

>"Why not let it speak for itself?"
It would speak for itself if they didn't keep patting themselves on the back for it. It makes it transparently clear why they're doing what they're doing, and it isn't because the setting has a rich history of immigration.

>"Egyptians came in all shades..."
That is actually a fair point, I'm falling for the "We Wuz Kangs" meme myself and stereotyping the region, my bad.
>>
>>52405456
Are you retarded? "What else could be in this world?" is literally the Holy Grail feeling of marketing towards the collector audience.
Casual gamers despise borders, limits and endings.

MaRo, like the leftard he is, doesn't like diferent cultural heritages and true diversity. He likes checkboxing colors into a shit brown mixture.
>>
>>52405749
>Said value is what is being debated here, so this argument goes nowhere.
Well they've talked about it extensively from multiple angles, not just the values that led them to pushing diversity going in, but the values that they got out as a result of it that they did not necessarily foresee but nevertheless encourages them to keep going.

So you can either trust that is the case. Or selectively only trust the bits that make them look shallow and bad.

>As diverse as Egypt is now, I doubt it was that way 3000 years ago.
3000 years ago? 3000 years ago, Greek philosophers were going there to get their education and marvel at the sights of Ancient Egypt.

Even going further than that, to the tens of thousands of years ago, and you'd be hitting the period of history where they keep trading off with the darker skinned Africans who would occasionally invade and- yes- they wuz kangs, they really wuz, okay, can we end that meme here, can we move on, okay, why did I bring it up, shit.

Basically. There are a lot of different shades of people in desert environments. Amonkhet can be one big desert with varying degree of rivers and oasis and green vegetation, and that would be reason enough for there to be diversity
>>
>>52405776
People like rules and stability, SJWs like open-ended definitions and opacity. The conflict isn't right vs left or racists vs "enlightened". It's simple order vs chaos.
Nobody likes to be accused of bad behavior because some little shit he's never met before arbitrarily felt offended about their existance.
>>
File: Hanweir before and after.jpg (83KB, 462x810px) Image search: [Google]
Hanweir before and after.jpg
83KB, 462x810px
>>52397860
>Keen sense on Walking Ballista
Thank fuck it's not a reprint, thanks for reminding me
>>
>>52405776
>Explain to me how they connect to fans better by including an artificially diverse cast?
By creating new stories that
> As for the matter of creating new stories out of it, that's fine. Xantcha dealt with topics like gender
Well okay sure just step all over my answer, whatever.

See that's the thing. You yourself recognize how fans connect to the universe better when there are stories, such as stories that deal with gender, with which they can connect with. You're describing the value of representation right there. But then you decided to decry that because like blood in the water you smell this vague iffy "moral superiority" and that ruins the whole thing for you.

It's just difficult to discuss this when in the end it comes down to how we perceive their attitude.
>>
>>52405866
>So you can either trust that is the case. Or selectively only trust the bits that make them look shallow and bad.
I do not need to trust anything. I can see that the quality in storytelling has not improved since the adoption of their current policy. Whether or not they find value in it, they do not find value in using it to make quality stories. That alone is evidence that they are doing it for cynical reasons.

A company is an entity whose sole purpose is to make money. If you are not sure of the motivation of their behavior, ask if it would make them money. If the answer is yes, then there's good odds that's the reason.

>Even going further than that, to the tens of thousands of years ago, and you'd be hitting the period of history where they keep trading off with the darker skinned Africans
My poor sense of scale of time aside, the original argument was that Amonhket being full of pale-skinned people would not make sense, and given that this is the period of time most people think of when they think "Ancient Egypt", it would make sense that this is the period Amonkhet is based off of. Therefore, it remains nonsensical to assume it will be populated by such people.

And as an aside, let's not pretend for a moment that WotC would dare put a noticeable amount of fair-skinned people in for sake of "diversity", for that is not the kind of "diversity" they like.
>>
>>52405933
But Xantcha's story about gender was improved by the fact that it was part of her development. You can't just go "See this woman? It's better because she's a woman." If the only reason you connect to a character is because of some physical characteristic, you haven't connected to the person. The ethnicity or gender of the people around me isn't why I'm interested in them, it's because we share interests, values, or our personalities are agreeable. Perhaps we admire each other, but we don't sit around going "I'm glad you're white." "I'm glad you're asian." and so on.
>>
>>52405853
You're projecting your own feelings, mate. The market does not agree with you.
Casual gamers want a set to have a consistent sensation to it.
>>
>>52405986
>I do not need to trust anything. I can see that the quality in storytelling has not improved since the adoption of their current policy. Whether or not they find value in it, they do not find value in using it to make quality stories. That alone is evidence that they are doing it for cynical reasons.
What makes the quality in the story telling so bad? I would argue the parts where they made the biggest diversity pushes- like when they created Yahenni with the insistence of making them gender neutral and exploring the weirdness of being Aetherborne while playing nice with the readers' idea of a gender neutral person- were when the story was at its best. Yahenni is an extremely refreshing character among all those tired out Planeswalkers that were around for ten years without a lot of character development and arguably was one of the better parts of the Kaladesh story, and they wouldn't be quite the way they were if the creative team hadn't pushed themselves in the representation department.

You say the quality of the story telling has remained low. But I see there were spikes in its quality, and those spikes were not at all separate from representation pushes. Representation forces the writers to actually be creative, or at least in this instance it did.
>>
>>52406099
Is that why Skyrim and Breath of the Wild are minor cultural phenomenons?
Is that why people were head over heels for The Matrix?

People like to be put in a well designed enviroment and then be left to explore it freely. No matter how much MaRo wants it to be the other way around, people like Innistrad more than Theros because we don't know a bunch of shit about Innistrad which lets us think about the setting and wonder instead of just being given practically the name of every rock in the world so we don't have to use our brains.

Gamers like freedom, the only idiots who like being spoonfed are idiot "fandom" tumblrites who don't buy shit anyway.
>>
>>52405853
>MaRo, like the leftard he is, doesn't like diferent cultural heritages and true diversity.
man sometimes i feel like you people play fast and loose with what a leftist is

one minute leftists hate borders but the next leftists don't realize there shouldn't be borders one minute leftists focus too much on diversity but actually leftists reject "true" diversity

if i squint i could see a centrist position in that maybe but in all honesty it just smacks of having your cake and eating it too
>>
>>52406403
There is no irony in that opinion. Leftists don't want border, but not for people to be able to come and go in peace, for poor people to overwhelm smaller communities. Leftists support diversity, but not cultural diversity wherein people participate and share of their culture with others, leftists want a monoculture that renegates everything "white" like structure, logic and order.

The far left is Orwellianly fucked up, it's exactly the same big brother monocultural NWO shit of the extreme right, the only difference is the far left wants "intellectuals" to rule an uniform brown blob with censorship and thought crime punishment while the far right wants "entrepeneurs" to rule a strictly segmented workforce with economic opression and eugenics,

Militant leftists sound like Nazis? It's because they are.
>>
>>52406541
>>52406403
>>>/pol/
>>
>>52406358
>Skyrim
You mean the game with a single consistent VIKINGS AND DRAGONS theme that it doesn't deviate from for even a moment across a potential 200 hours of gameplay?
>The Matrix
The one with the consistent theme of being in a machine reality with black leather and guns?
Can't comment on BotW, sorry. But your other examples are plum awful for the idea of a generic fantasy setting. They are, in fact, extremes of a single flavor that is consistent throughout the entire experience.
>>
>>52406541
yeah you're just having your cake and eating it too

bro you're just shoving words in people's mouths who do you think you're fooling
Thread posts: 397
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.