[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HFY Thread, Dead, But Not Gone Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 71

File: 1489771098658.png (511KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1489771098658.png
511KB, 800x450px
I'm proud to be human and we haven't had a HFY thread in months I know the meme is dead, but the spirit lives on! Post your best pastas!

> HUMANITY, FUCK YEAH!
>>
I haven't seen one of these in a while. I'll give you a bump and recommend you write your own stuff. I had written a story about Humans that are authorized to go IN SPESSSSSSSSSSSS tend to open up orphanages
>>
File: Level With Me.png (94KB, 983x1319px) Image search: [Google]
Level With Me.png
94KB, 983x1319px
Posting best HFY ever written.
>>
File: 1489550380287.png (2MB, 561x4197px) Image search: [Google]
1489550380287.png
2MB, 561x4197px
>>
>>52370738
Entry Date 15.21.928429

The Advocates were wise to send us on this expedition.

While the planet itself is rather nondescript, except in that it's one of the few with liquid water and vegetation in this backwards and uninhabitable section of the galaxy, its "humans" are not. Mostly hairless, except for the crown and the genitals, with two manipulator limbs and two ambulatory limbs, their true value lies in their brains. Their short lifespans require them to learn material in rapid timeframes despite the low storage capacity of their long term memories, and as a result, the encoding and retrieval systems that their brains use is actually quite remarkable, allowing them to learn easily ten or eleven times as fast as a Maade, even moreso in the formative years, when they display learning ability far in excess of our own. I suspect that this ability is the cause of the rapid growth of their technology in the past millenia.

One of the humans that we abducted for the examination appeared to recognize portions of our systems and tools, either in form or function, from untrue works that humans construct in order to stimulate emotions. They refer to these as "fiction" as opposed to factual works, "non-fiction". I am derisive of the things, it's clear to me that if humanity had dedicated their focus to research and development instead of these fictions, they would possibly be more advanced than we are. Regardless, to see someone whose species uses magnetic fields to image tissue recognize and accurately guess at the result, if not the process, of our Composite Reader, is interesting. He (he identified himself as a male of the species) appeared to be under the misapprehension that his musculature or skeletal makeup was of note to us, but I assured him that such a line of thought was false. While their species does appear to possess ability in the use of ranged weaponry, it is not to the point where the benefits of using them as a soldier race would be recommended.
>>
Humanity Fuck Yeah you say?

http://imgur.com/a/qOd9N?gallery#0

http://imgur.com/gallery/w3nA4 (with links to 32 more galleries just like it)
>>
>>52372451
All subjects have since been returned to their place of origin, with the exception of one who requested instead to be moved to her primary residence. They were instructed not to inform anyone about the nature of their absence, although we were assured that people with stories of alien abduction are quite commonly derided by other humans, something that made me suspect another species had beaten us here, until I remembered their fictions. It is my recommendation that we begin encouraging of a culture that spurns these fictions and emphasizes intensive education and research. Within a mere two centuries they may be advanced enough to understand the resources and aid we can bring to the table in exchange for alliance or submission.

Undoubtedly, educating them with skills urgently required can allow us to easily shift a human workforce as they are needed in a particular field. The shortage of surgical professionals a century ago still weighs heavily. In addition, if focused into developmental or theoretical areas once current knowledge proliferates among the general population, I suspect that they will prove a great aid to both of our races.

Coordinator of the vessel Dendru-377
Dashilan Korastoh
>>
Bump?
>>
>>52370738
>we haven't had a HFY thread in months
That should've been your first clue. HFY is dead and buried, let it rest in peace instead of dragging it around as a zombified mockery of what it was.
>>
File: krW78rg.jpg (728KB, 1885x2026px) Image search: [Google]
krW78rg.jpg
728KB, 1885x2026px
>>52372451
>>52372464

Excellent Original Content. If I knew how to screencap it, I would in an instant.

>>52372453

Many thanks anon. I know ehat I'll be doing for the next few days.

>>52375189

/tg/ is a shadow of its former self, and 4Chan is all but dead, yet we persist.
>>
>>52375702
>HFYfag
>doesn't know how to even screencap
fuckin lel
>>
File: HFY.png (46KB, 922x1106px) Image search: [Google]
HFY.png
46KB, 922x1106px
>I'm proud of fictional shit that never happened HFY bro!!xd
>>
Being proud to be human is the shittiest thing to be proud of ever.
It's like being proud to be a citizen of a county; congrats, you were fucking born, good job. You managed to do what literally everyone else on the planet accomplished too, only you STILL can't take credit for it because your mom's vagina did most of the hard work and you just lied there at the time.

People who are proud of stuff like that are proud of it because they have nothing else in their lives worth being proud about.
>>
Got some new OC courtesy of /trash/.

>The planet was invaded just yesterday.
>But already, billions and zillions were dead.
>The city was still burning and you could hear the individual cries of every single xeno scum crying out in pain.
>Meanwhile, in Humanity Battalion Central, Captain Gorekillian is enjoying a cup of tea.
>Officer Maimskidsforfunson comes in.
>"Great first volley. We will have all the aliens destroyed by sundown."
>"Very good! And of course, those we are destorying are definitely NOT sentient creatures worthy of our compassion."
>"Not at all. We are certain of this, even though direct contradictory evidence is staring at us in the face."
>"Good show, Officer Maimskidsforfunson. Say, did you know that the he L85 is supplied with a sling, blank-firing adaptor, cleaning kit and a blade-type bayonet, which coupled with the sheath can double as a wire cutter (the sheath contains a small saw and sharpening stone). The rifle can be adapted to use .22 Long Rifle training ammunition with a special conversion kit. The Small Arms Weapons Effects Simulator can be used on the L85 when in training with blank ammunition. The rifle variant also accommodates a 40 mm under-barrel grenade launcher such as Heckler & Koch AG-36 40 mm grenade launcher variants[16]?
>>
>>52375769
>>52375797
You know how, when something bad happens to someone you know, you tell them "I'm sorry," even though you're not responsible for the tragedy that happened to them? You feel a sort of pity for them that feels almost identical to 'sorry,' but isn't.

In the same vein, I feel "proud" of being human, although 'proud' is probably better seen as 'glad.' I am 'glad' that I was lucky enough to be born a human, with all the qualities that are (or appear to be) unique to humans, and I enjoy reading fiction that examines these qualities.
>>
File: 5outof10.png (48KB, 468x214px) Image search: [Google]
5outof10.png
48KB, 468x214px
>>52376036
>>
>>52371260
Anon, Startide Rising doesn't fit into a single screencap.
>>
File: 1490195841250.jpg (288KB, 720x1620px) Image search: [Google]
1490195841250.jpg
288KB, 720x1620px
>>52370738
The best HFY is

Kemono Friends
>>
>>52377391
But you have no idea how many if any of these traits are unique to humans. This thing you feel proud of means nothing because you have nothing to compare it with.

You're making snowmen and strawmen and using that to justify your own existence.
>>
>>52377644
Yes I do; I have animals, as well as earlier homonids to compare too.

If any aliens exist, it is not so unusual to imagine that they might have some traits that we previously thought to be unique. But, I'm going to ignore this, and read stories where this isn't the case, because it examines these unique traits into focus.

Humans are good, even if they aren't unique. By treating them as unique (at least in fiction), we can see WHY they're good.
>>
It's adorable how the meathead from Avatar is still the poster boy for HFY even though it's because of people like him that lead to the humans' defeat in the first place. Our endgame is the stars, and it's baffling to think there are people who believe it belongs solely to humanity.

You can puff your chest all you want, just as long as you hold your tongue the day we make contact with other forms of intelligent life. If interstellar war breaks out and my choices are "xenophobic humans" and "aliens who can get along with their spacefaring neighbors", you can be damn sure I wouldn't think twice about betraying my own kind.
>>
>>52376036
10/10 gonna screencap it and repost it in every thread until it's so stale you can smell the rot through the monitor.
>>
File: 1424667672122.gif (641KB, 339x509px) Image search: [Google]
1424667672122.gif
641KB, 339x509px
one time durr evul ayys showd up and terrorized duh humns until we drank da poisonous stuff nown as alcyhol (lethal 2 everyun else dont drink) and used are adrenline (human only donut steel aliens) and kicked der asses and den durr ayys were all 'o no!' and we were like 'dont fuck with mcduff!'
>>
>>52377756
I'd read HFY about that, desu. Humans in recent years have become extremist galactic jingoists, but some humans rejecting that and defecting to the galactic empire, because they believe humanity has abandoned what made them human.
>>
MUH REVURSE ENGINEERAN
>>
>>52371501
>literally posting a Tumblr screencap

Get the fuck off of my board
>>
>>52379263
Reminder, internet tribalism is all well and fun, but don't overindulge!
>>
>>52376036
9/11 would fly again.
Totally read the first as captain gaston and the other as officer Mumford and Son
>>
>>52379337
I mean look at this shit, we screech and fling shit like monkeys over website rivalry and murder each other because those guys were born on the wrong side of the river.
That's why I can't take HFY stories where humanity is a perfect consensus hivemind seriously.
>>
>>52378968
O H S N A P
>>
I do not like todays HFY.
It's merely humanity kicking arse. Yeah, that was fun when I was 15. We're always technologically, cognitively,or biologically superior in some way. We win the battle before it was even started.

'real' HFY is when the bad qualities of man is shown as good. When our cruelty, our harsh determination for the demise of our enemies, the capability of using something like children, the epitome of innocense, just to further our goals. The 'qualities' that killed hundreds of slaves during the construction of the pyramids, the willingness to use other humans as cattle for material profit.

In short, we are not good in any moral compass. But like with a dark joke, where one spits in the face of depression in order to overcome it, we do so too with HFY. We gaze upon the millions of starving children, the brewing of conflicts that have been waiting for long times. We stare at the very destruction of our planet as we pollute and strip-mine it into obscurity.

What we gaze upon is the results of mankind. What we gaze upon is HFY, and that we gaze upon is not this thread, as it is merely a pale imitation of forgotten times, strip-mined by mediocrity and the simple-minded into obscurity.
>>
>>52371260
this might have been an interesting read if it hadn't burned my eyes out
>>
>>52380020
You are conveying my opinion perfectly without me even saying anything.
>>
File: 1444612333339.png (89KB, 330x328px) Image search: [Google]
1444612333339.png
89KB, 330x328px
>>52380000
Feel free to go write some Mr. Quadschan
>>
>>52380000
check'd
>>
>>52380000
>'real' HFY is when future humans are just as much retarded dickbags as modern humans are.

Hahaha no.

I'd rather HFY stay dead than go back to the idiotic days of "Yeah! Humans pollute the planet we live on and contaminate our own water supplies! We murder each other for arbitrary reasons and treat people with brown skin as subhumans for shits and giggles! Aren't we great?"

The only decent HFY was back in the beginning where it was mostly in the form of little factoids and rumors told from one alien to another.
>>
>>52377599
It actually is. It's about a human making life better for others and, when the situation called for it, sacrificing herself. Kaban showed how humanity can't run very fast, or fly through the sky or swim, but we will for those we love.

This is more pointed by the fact that she's one of the two last remaining humans on the planet, and she herself isn't entirely human
>>
Don't mind me, just bumping the thread. Nothing gets anon saltier than HFY threads.
>>
File: IMG_0511.jpg (345KB, 700x861px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0511.jpg
345KB, 700x861px
>>52370738
A good game for some well-written setting-established HFY is Warbirds. When the Space Age module released, they put humans in the "warrior race," slot.

See, our planet has heavier gravity than normal. Most populated planets are between 60-80% our gravity. This means that in space we dominate since no one else can handle high-G maneuvers like we can, and the idea of starfighters intense enough to strafe and destroy warships without getting slapped down in the process literally didn't exist in the Stellar Neighborhood before we introduced them.

We also got SUPER lucky in that the macguffin rock that powers pretty much all of our shit lets out what are effectively Minovsky Particles from Gundam, so it trashes over-sensitive sensors and technology and forces other races to fight at the mostly-WVR of our fighters and warships.

A combination of superior combat biology and luck with tech effectively ensures that we brought Star Wars-tier "starfighters dominate the meta," space jets AND are the best at piloting them.
>>
I suspect that most of the people shrieking about HFY and having pride in one's identify are the same bitter, jealous assholes that applauded "You didn't build that" a few years ago. Having pride in at least one aspect of humanity or the willingness to explore another anon's pride in humanity are a prerequisite to enjoy HFY. If you can't muster that up, please hide the thread and move on. Nobody forces you to read these posts. Polite sage for metaposting.
>>
>>52388340
>you didn't build that
Explain?
>>
>>52388388
From 2012.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=192oEC5TX_Q
>>
>>52388426
I understand the political meme. I meant how do you think it connects to HFY?
>>
File: 1304701690535.jpg (65KB, 469x600px) Image search: [Google]
1304701690535.jpg
65KB, 469x600px
>>52382006
The point is we achieve these fictional feats while remaining every bit as fucked as we are now. There's no grand unification of humankind. HFY should be about us succeeding or winning in spite of our worst nature and impulses
>>
Why is this shit here? It's not traditional games, and it's such cringe shit.
>>
>>52388586
>not traditional games
This is the most retarded argument. When has that ever stopped us before?

Besides, the threads have a basis in not appreciating where humanity sits in RPGs: the jack-of-all-stats or "adaptability," race. HFY was a lashing out against us being a boring species. So yes, HFY does have a basis on /tg/.
>>
>>52387227
I like this because it's both awesome and likely to be at least half true. Earth's gravity is such that a solid fuel rocket needs to be 95% fuel by mass to reach escape velocity. We're bumping ugliesq with the upper bound of how heavy a planet can be before it precludes conventional spaceflight entirely. Humans are heavy worlders by this standard, which suggests abnormally high strength and density, and that's where a lot of the derivative EARTH IS A DEATH WORLD and OO RAH SPESS MURAHNES HFY comes from. Even without Minovsky Particles, you could quite easily have a setup where humanity's hat derives from gravity.
>human pilots and zero g astronauts are tougher and crazier than anyone else due to gravity resistance, like you described
>humans are valuable pack mules for locations where wheels or hover vehicles won't work, especially on lower gravity planets where a single human can carry hundreds of pounds without much issue
>Human electronics are all Nintendium compared to ayy tech because everything is designed to resist 1g drops and crashes, high air and water pressure, etc.
>O'Neill cylinders and other spinny space colonies don't have to fear alien boarding parties because the ayys get pinned to the floor and moan weakly before they can do anything
>standard Earth wildlife become horrifying turbo monsters by alien standards
>imagine throwing angry grizzly bears into a spaceship set to 0.7g, filled with squishy, lightly armored aliens whose weapons don't penetrate flesh and fur very well

>>52388508
It's the same self hating mindset. People who go in for collectivism, mass importation of third worlders, white guilt, etc. do it because they think every aspect of their own identity is bad or wrong. This means that HFY just pisses them off. I'll stop talking about it now because we're veering dangerously close to /pol/ topics.

>>52388586
This fag is a prime example.
>>
>>52389117
One of my favorite things about the Warbirds Space Age HFY is that there are still downsides to our superior traits that we need to work past.

Mechanically, our "combat biology," and particular technology translates in human characters having proficiency in melee and ranged combat against other species, our starfighters being inherently better, and aliens taking penalties at high-G dogfights and aerial stunts.

This comes with downsides. The first is that we have to work harder to be liked. When even Jenny in accounting is considered dangerous, the slightest social slip-up or scandal results in prejudices against us for being dumb violent brutes rear their ugly heads.

The other downside is our tech. Our primary power source's pseudo-Minovsky side-effect means that high-grade radar, wireless, and otherwise sensitive tech doesn't work that well without a great deal of ECM-hardening, so our technology is considered simple and rough, just like us. Our engines also run really hot, so we had to learn BVR combat pretty quick when heat-seeker technology jumped forward when xenos realized that their radar missiles don't work that well against us at all, but their heat-seekers gained a benefit. BVR doesn't last too long--our starships are not too tough compared to the rest of the Stellar Neighborhood, but they are stupid fast--but it is still something that came with growing pains.
>>
>>52389572
I am now imagining Jenny from accounting being a deep cover deniable asset that the space corporation uses as a one woman bank vault breeching team. Her gear consists of a crowbar, a hammer, and a gunsmith's punch. Turns out that "tough enough to require explosives to crack" is a pretty low standard when most bodybuilders on wimputron 9 are unable to open a sealed jar of pickles without serious mechanical aid.
>>
File: 1490272337409.jpg (248KB, 636x640px) Image search: [Google]
1490272337409.jpg
248KB, 636x640px
>>52389117

That's actually pretty interesting.
>>
>>52389704
I doubt it's that extreme (though the Neighborhood is huge, so you know, it could be), but one of the major facets of humanity in this franchise is that we're the toughest on the block, our tech drags those that rely on it down to our level, and because of those facts we're the best at making small numbers count; none of those reasons gives the more Imperial cultures cause to like us much, but for those same reasons we're the most popular mercenaries of the Neighborhood. Especially to those who cannot fight well for themselves. After all, smacking down superior numbers is good for propaganda; the Guild loves good propaganda.
>>
>>52388992
>Besides, the threads have a basis in not appreciating where humanity sits in RPGs: the jack-of-all-stats or "adaptability," race

That's just dumb bullshit HFY fags bring up when all they're really doing is ripping off America Fuck Yeah while being upset about Avatar.

This has always been more /tv/ than it has been /tg/, and that's obvious by how all these HFY stories show that the people who write them have no experience with any actual science fiction writing outside of what you can find on bad cable.

>>52389117
People who hate HFY don't hate humanity. They actually love humanity, and probably love it more genuinely than you do, since they can actually look at humanity as it is, and not through the insane distorted lens your process it through.

They don't hate humanity. They just hate you.
>>
File: 1489088890171.jpg (107KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1489088890171.jpg
107KB, 1024x683px
>>52392054
A big issue I have with most HFY fiction is that humanity's advantage is almost always some sort of ridiculous physical/combat advantage. It's always something we have that just makes us the perfect little soldiers who can take on the Ug'valeshkrekevul Empire, who has a hundred thousand Starkillers and a trillion times the resources of the Federation (It's always a Federation) and manage to win AGAINST THE ODDS all because the Ayys somehow lack _____. It's Hollywood schlock in written form.

I would love it more if say, Humanity as explorers, or Humanity as artists was a concept got explored more, and stopped cribbing Heinlein already.
>>
>>52380000
> The 'qualities' that killed hundreds of slaves during the construction of the pyramids
there are few things that can trigger me more then shit like this.
>>
File: bandage.jpg (61KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bandage.jpg
61KB, 1000x1000px
>>52380000
Here anon, have this bandage. you can use it to deal with that bleeding heart of yours.
>>
>>52392447
I'm a bigger fan of moderate HFY that effectively points out "you know this thing we take for granted? Might actually give us an edge against aliens." The Heavy Worlder and Endurance angles are my favorites in that regard.

The thing about HFY is that it's only good in moderation. Mass Effect-styled "we're rad cos we're stubborn/adaptable and just the best ever," is so cringe and boring, while at the same time this fucking queer >>52392054 is reason number one on why lashing out in the opposite direction is just as bad.
>>
I like this thing:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11868723/1/The-Human-War
>>
>>52393331
The problem is that it so often verges into the ridiculous, like 'Humans breathe oxygen, so we win', or 'Humans have an imagination, so we win', which are just so fucking overplayed.
>>
>>52393808
Yes, lots of HFY is complete shit, because MOST fanfiction is complete shit.
This does not damn the entire concept of HFY, however.
>>
>>52392447
>I would love it more if say, Humanity as explorers, or Humanity as artists was a concept got explored more, and stopped cribbing Heinlein already.
The problem with "humanity as explorers" is that it's either in a largely benevolent universe, at which point your HFY looks a lot like Star Trek fanfiction, or it's not, and our exploration brings us into conflict with some grouchy aliens and we get our shit slapped in, like Babylon 5.
>>
>>52393331
ifhumans had to get a "racial" advantage - it would probably BE our awfulness , we have such little regard for the lives of us and others that we could well be the space jihadis

the other races might have more advanced AI drones than us, but we just mutilate a pilot so that they fit inside a suit to compensate, our ships might give us radiation poisoning but they are slightly faster - we are willing to pay the prices other races have become to civilized to consider - we are the space orcs
>>
>>52396321
>just discovered existentialism
>>
>>52396639
i dont see how this has anything to do with it, i was just annoyed with the shitty humanwank and tried to think of an actual reason humans might be lasting in wars against more advanced and powerful foes
>>
>>52396703
Seriously, a completely neutral reason is that we're heavy worlders. As noted above, we need about a 95% fuel-to-body ratio for our rockets to get out of atmosphere; we're on the heaviest edge of people who could reach a galactic community.
>>
File: Dakka.jpg (98KB, 780x481px) Image search: [Google]
Dakka.jpg
98KB, 780x481px
>>52396321
we need more dakka
>>
>not gone

How do we make it gone?

GTFO already, you corpse-parading queers.
>>
>>52396983
That's no way to be a neighbor, anon.
>>
File: Jati-Matic.jpg (125KB, 1800x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Jati-Matic.jpg
125KB, 1800x1350px
>>52396796
I think that guy had alzheimers or something similar.
He tried to sell that thing to army. They had no need for such a device.

Also in an interview the engineer said he originally intended to create multibarrel gun similar to gatling guns, but eventually decided to use a simpler design.
I think it's really neat invention. Unlike this other Finnish monstrosity.
>>
>>52392447
In known space, humans are better adjusted than kzinti, and also lucky. Lucky is a genetiv human trait.

In Uplift setting, humans are radically disadvantaged due to "being uplifted" outside the established society and its institutions. That's also the source of their primary specialness, and strength- though they remain broke, tiny, and poor.
>>
>>52396991
Shitting on your neighbors lawn is also no way to be a neighbor.

So stop shitting on our lawn already, and stick to r/HFY.
>>
>>52397197
>get this shit off my lawn!
>while /40k general/ and /mtg/ threads go on and on
Can't have it both ways, sonny-Jim.
>>
>>52392054
>People who hate HFY don't hate humanity. They actually love humanity, and probably love it more genuinely than you do, since they can actually look at humanity as it is, and not through the insane distorted lens your process it through.

>this meme again
>MY perception of humanity is right because YOURS is wrong
lmao
>>
>>52397344
>HFYfag actually believes in HFY

Even other HFYfags aren't that delusional.
>>
>>52396983
Ask yourself if you're being the person Mr Rogers would want you to be
>>
>>52397446
Don't blaspheme by carting around the name of Mr. Rogers and trying to attach it to this maggot-riddled corpse of pathetic faggotry.

Mr. Rogers never told you to be a faggot, so why are you trying so hard to be the biggest faggot you can be?
>>
>>52397251
This. Modern Generals more cancerous than even CYOA threads.
>>
>>52397251
Those are at least traditional games, and as bad as they are, you need to be one hell of a delusional faggot to not think that HFY is worse.
>>
File: nigga r u serious.jpg (15KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
nigga r u serious.jpg
15KB, 500x333px
Why does /tg/ get so triggered by HFY content?

Is it really that hard to just ignore a thread with content you don't like?
>>
File: humans are for cuddles.png (361KB, 701x3441px) Image search: [Google]
humans are for cuddles.png
361KB, 701x3441px
>>
>>52397748
Because it's not just one thread, but a group of fags who keep trying to make these threads.

You've got Reddit. Keep your cancer there.
>>
File: 1296009760056.jpg (798KB, 1222x2535px) Image search: [Google]
1296009760056.jpg
798KB, 1222x2535px
Posting by Imperial Decree!
>>
>>52396764
there could also be races from worlds heavier than ours, or that develop density in organs/ bones through artificial means - technology renders biological differences irrelevant in the majority. whereas cultures remain regardless of such things
>>
File: 1296012742481.png (146KB, 1188x1042px) Image search: [Google]
1296012742481.png
146KB, 1188x1042px
>>
File: 1296012904804.png (89KB, 1185x851px) Image search: [Google]
1296012904804.png
89KB, 1185x851px
>>
>>52397748
Partially, because it's shit, and partially because you idiots bump these threads with terrible screencaps just to prolong them. You guys will keep necroing these threads for as long as you can, so every post telling you guys to quit shitting up this board helps bring these awful threads closer to the bump limit.
>>
File: 1296013123157.png (716KB, 1668x3048px) Image search: [Google]
1296013123157.png
716KB, 1668x3048px
>>
File: 1296013851756.png (112KB, 1254x720px) Image search: [Google]
1296013851756.png
112KB, 1254x720px
>>
File: 1296032746769.png (116KB, 1310x1096px) Image search: [Google]
1296032746769.png
116KB, 1310x1096px
>>
Does anyone have that story about the aliens that uplifted humanity? In the story and aggressive species attacked humans and than the humans wiped them out than other species attacked and humans wiped them out and now the first species no longer uplifts primitive species
>>
File: 1306249213780.jpg (218KB, 1234x916px) Image search: [Google]
1306249213780.jpg
218KB, 1234x916px
>>
>>52397390
>implying I do
>implying it doesn't change the fact that your entire argument boils down to "MY perception of humanity is right and anything else is wrong"
Different people value different qualities, bruv, no need to get autistic about it.
>>
>>52397820
>>52398316
It's literally one thread.
A single thread on an entire board.
That shows up once every month or every two months.

At the very least, it serves to cycle out a few threads which are close to dying.
>>
>>52378968
whats animu is this semen demon from?
>>
File: 1448377282272.jpg (3MB, 1910x6742px) Image search: [Google]
1448377282272.jpg
3MB, 1910x6742px
>>
>>52398675

Hate hurts the butt, the only way to relieve the butthurt is to be a pain in someone else's ass.
>>
>>52398675
No, it's literally people trying to resurrect a dead piece of shit, spamming a board with shitty screencaps far more than a single time as you claim.

If this was the last of these threads, and for it to finally be "literally one thread", we could all rejoice, but instead you fags will keep trying to bring back what was exiled to Reddit here like you think anyone wants to read these awful screencaps.

HFY died because it was shit, and somehow only managed to get shittier.
>>
>>52398615
Anyone?
>>
>>52397748
Apparently. I don't even see one of these threads a week. They're not a general or the actual cancer that was shitting up /tg/ (quest threads).
>>
File: sento maga.png (380KB, 480x679px) Image search: [Google]
sento maga.png
380KB, 480x679px
>>52398697
Amagi Brilliant Park.
>>
>>52398232
>there could also be races from worlds heavier than ours
Yeah by like .5m/s^2 greater gravity at most. Otherwise rockets can't reach orbit, ever. Unless they get ridiculously lucky and harness some macguffin antigravity power source that they can use to build working spaceships without the existence of a rocket era (suuuuper unlikely) any "heavy worlders" relative to Earth would remain bound to their own planet until they eventually went extinct.
>>
>>52399184
yes, but the whole advantage of a heavy world (increased bone/muscle density) could easily be replicated by a sufficiently advanced race using modification o rjust power armor/robotics

not to mention that it would eventually disappear due to colonization of less dense planets
>>
>>52399184

What about a space elevator? Realize that the engineering possibilities are nuts, but say you built one in a stable enough orbit then build the ship yards out from there?
>>
>>52398938

Lookin real hard, keep finding uplift ones but they dont really match what you were describing. Will continue though, sounds like a fun one.
>>
>>52399263
You can't build a space elevator without preexisting assets in orbit to help bootstrap it.
>>
>>52399252
Then what's your problem? Wasn't the entire point of your initial bitching that most HFY came off as too hardcore "we're so awesome?" So what's wrong with the idea that our natural benefits can be mirrored with enough tech, or that a realistically-growing person from a Heavy Worlder culture grows on a not-Heavy World doesn't get the benefit? It's a neat bit of HFY that isn't overbearing in its "look at us,"-ness.
>>
>>52399516
"Not getting the benefit?", rather. I'm dealing with idiots at work and my frustration is translating into retarded English.
>>
>>52399304
Yeah it's pretty good also they use some kind of biotechnology and travel ftl through the "pulse"
>>
File: 1490401019580.png (504KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1490401019580.png
504KB, 640x480px
>>52396796

It, it, it's just so, so beautiful...
>>
>>52399184

What about nuclear thermal rockets and nuclear pulse propulsion?
>>
>>52400355
It only takes one of those launches to cause severe fallout issues over the entire path from launchpad to the spot it achieves orbit. Something as simple as setting up a GPS network would ruin tens of thousands of square miles of planetary surface, and that's assuming they HAVE enough uranium in the crust to do it at all.
>>
>>52396764
Only for races stupid enough to insist on limiting themselves to chemical fuel. Nuclear pulse/Orion propulsion was being developed at the same time as space flight chemical rockets. A choice was made for a variety of reasons, some good, some bad, and now here we are worrying about kilos of payload when we could be worrying about tonnes.
>>
These threads are always nice
>>
>>52398929
Literally one thread at a time*

Is your autism satisfied?
>>
File: 1403717325514.png (78KB, 937x315px) Image search: [Google]
1403717325514.png
78KB, 937x315px
>>
>>52397748
Honestly, it's not.
Generally speaking, topics like this are treated with interest by a few, but mild interest by a most.
The latter tend to get put off because they also attract a few autists that hang around for literally days, REEEing over whatever their outrage quota for the week is.

Imagine if Carnac cloned himself and you'll get the general idea
>>
>>52375729
>>52375769
Just as my favorite part of BBC threads on /hc/ is seeing the whiny posts from people who can't help clicking on threads they don't like, my favorite part of HFY threads on /tg/ is seeing the whiny posts from people who can't help clicking on threads they don't like.
>>
>>52401132
Fallout from a spectacularly failed launch to the point of sabotage detonating everything would be less than some bombs tests, and could easily put everything we've ever put into orbit up in one go.
And could also theoretically work with pure fusion, so no reliance on fissionables.
>>
>>52398316
>Partially, because it's shit, and partially because you idiots bump these threads with terrible screencaps just to prolong them. You guys will keep necroing these threads for as long as you can, so every post telling you guys to quit shitting up this board helps bring these awful threads closer to the bump limit.

See, this is the part that I don't understand. Why do you feel the need to spend your free time monitoring the board for threads that you don't like? You can just go to the catalog, hold the Shift key, click the bad scary thread, and you will never have to see that thread again, no matter how many times it gets bumped.

You could even put in a filter if you were that sitter-scraped.
>>
I think my favorite HFY thing was Farscape. What makes humans special? It's that we're terrible at everything but have no bullshit sci-fi weakness like the other species have. When we bleed our blood doesn't poison us. When we get hot our brain doesn't shut down. When we get cold we don't go into shock etc. The only time a human has a "super power" is when it turns out we're immune to some light based attacks because our eyes are so primitive compared to most species.

If I were pressed to give humans a specific "power" in an RPG sense I'd make it immunity or at least reacting differently to some common attack type because we just aren't evolved to react to it the way aliens are. So like farscape if light shit happens a lot. If it's a psionics game you could have humans just take progressively higher amounts of stun damage from psychic attacks instead of their normal effect. The freaks can't mind control you but they can give you a migraine so bad that you'll pass out if you give them enough combat time. Maybe we handle electricity better than the aliens so their tasers don't work on us. Etc Not all of those at once but a system could pick one of them to represent a rugged humanity without going full "oxygen = poison" circlejerk.

Hell if you still wanted ti to come back to oxygen just give humans some corrosion resistance. Like earth oxygen concentrations are painful but not immediately life ending to aliens. Stronger stuff like bleach could be the "kills aliens dead" liquid given that they're all also harmful to humans.
>>
File: Battlecry of the Cuckold.jpg (46KB, 640x454px) Image search: [Google]
Battlecry of the Cuckold.jpg
46KB, 640x454px
>Be Tikari
>Life sucks, job sucks, family sucks, dinner sucks, wife doesn't suck, making life suck more
>She always complains that I don't eat enough of her cooking and thinks I don't like it
>Bitch, my stomach is the size of my fist, don't need that much to eat anyway
>Your cooking is terrible though
>She keeps telling me to bring my co-workers over for dinner, but they know she's bad at cooking
>New employee shows up, big guy for me who helps reach tall places
>Has weird tastes, likes complete garbage for lunch
>Decide to invite him for dinner, maybe he'll eat what I don't
>He accepts, but warns me to make enough for ten (Yeah right)
>He comes over, we have dinner in the back yard because he doesn't fit, he even had to bring his own tableware
>No fucks given, trashman
>Dinner is served, I barely take a bite, but the human is inhaling it
>He has like five fucking plates in as many minutes
>He's twice my size but has eaten ten times what I usually eat (at home, anyway)
>He compliments wife, wife starts moaning about my eating habits again
>Bitch I'm right here
>They talk at length about everything from the night sky to how humans show affection with hand-holding
>Decide its time for him head out
>Later on that night, wife is in a good mood, so we fuck
>About to climax, then suddenly,"OH, CLETUS!"
>mfw

Humans aren't master seducers, this guy is just a fucking cuck.
>>
>>52398630
Underappreciated post.
>>
>>52392447
>Elder Things are native to earth.
>Humans and Elder Things enter federation of worlds as the joint Earthling nation.
>>
File: 4f9.png.jpg (117KB, 492x492px) Image search: [Google]
4f9.png.jpg
117KB, 492x492px
>when humanidy furk yar XD fags can't even benchpress their bodyweight or run a mile in under six minutes but want to take pride in being born as a certain species
>>
>>52404755
>projection
>low tier adhom bait
>equating the worth of humanity to purely physical strength, where they're beaten out by many other species anyways

You'd be better of memeing about HFYfags not being able to hike for a full day strait, or not being able to hit a near-bullseye with bow and arrow at a hundred feet
>>
File: smug 2.jpg (32KB, 565x659px) Image search: [Google]
smug 2.jpg
32KB, 565x659px
>>52404755
>when human-guilt fags can't help but virtue-signal/shitpost in a thread they don't like and have no interest in instead of just ignoring it like a normal human being
>>
>>52404815
>>52404817
Found the fatty :^)
>>
Relevant to this thread, humanity in the setting I'm building is unique because we have much more active glandular systems than other species. In particular, adrenaline is kind of a magic bullet for a lot of military forces, since it allows a human fighter to ignore stress and pain far in excess of what many others could tolerate (not to mention amplifying physical strength). Humans are so well known for this trait that they're often disparaged as walking bags of hormones.
>>
>>52405110
So we're treated like teenagers?
>>
>>52405135
As an insult, sure. If you're trapped in a burning freighter you probably want someone with some adrenaline to rescue you though.
>>
>>52397748
why do autistic manchildren get ____ by _____

Cause they're autistic manchildren, examples bieng

>>52397820
>>52398316
>>52404755
>>
>>52377756
Why would they accept race-traitors? If you'd betray your own kind, you'd betray anyone.
>>
>>52404958
ECKS DEE LUH-MOW
>>
>>52377756
>Our endgame is the stars, and it's baffling to think there are people who believe it belongs solely to humanity.
There's a difference between believing it does belong solely to humanity, and believing it SHOULD belong to humanity. The latter is a drive to action, while the former is not.

Also, there's nothing wrong with a pan-galactic cosmopolitan empire of all species, so long as power rests firmly on Earth and humanity maintains at least 33% population and is the largest demographics.

Multiple species are fine, multiple space-nations are not.
>>
>>52406194
>There's a difference between believing it does belong solely to humanity, and believing it SHOULD belong to humanity. The latter is a drive to action, while the former is not.
Happily, our President seems to believe that the stars belong to us by right and wants to get manned space exploration back in gear.
>>
>creative, advances quickly, united, freedom-loving, democratic, perfect allies, morally superior, tactical geniuses, brave, unique psychology, special
>evil, stupid, capable of no unity, easily conquered, easily corrupted, incapable of courage, will never advance, capable of no measure of equality, arrogant, on the very low end of ordinary compared to other races

Cm'on guys, let's admit that neither pure stupid!evil and pure mary-sue!conquers accurately reflects our race. If you want to indulge in tales of humanity being unstoppable and perfect, go ahead, but know that it's more than a little fantasy. And if you're someone who sees these fantasies and goes into a frothing rage and wants to vent about how horrible we actually are, go ahead, but you should acknowledge that our current society at least shows *some* signs of greatness, and may advance beyond that.
>>
>>52406326
>a bloo bloo bloo I don't like thing
>better write a blog post on it
Stop replying to threads you don't like. Hell, set up a board-wide filter for threads containing "HFY" if you want the browser to ignore the threads for you.
>>
File: HFY-The Pulse.png (275KB, 1128x1963px) Image search: [Google]
HFY-The Pulse.png
275KB, 1128x1963px
>>52399678
and that clued me in.

Is this the one?
>>
>>52402444
I get ya fampire, but I think you are wrong. I'd rather devs be honest and just make aliens be aliumz and give them a boon and a bust.

Aliumz that boost all their stats are dependent on drugs and stat boosters. Imagine a race that needs creatine, that completely crashes without their rations.

Maybe a species that made themselves smaller to deal with their limited resources, what do they do when dealing with 'Umies?

Heck, spin it around. How does Humanity deal with a galaxy full of Giants that need a siesta every few hours?
>>
File: 2qt Humanity.jpg (754KB, 1536x1688px) Image search: [Google]
2qt Humanity.jpg
754KB, 1536x1688px
>>52397793
This version of HFY is what I love best.
Here's a favourite of mine
>>
File: 1443562107668.jpg (67KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1443562107668.jpg
67KB, 1280x720px
>>52404662
You joke, but that's honestly a fantastic idea.

>Earth is invaded by Martians
>Humans try, but they can't beat them back alone.
>Lizard people, mole men, skinwalkers, and other non-human terrestrials emerge to lend their aid
>despite the initial shock, humans quickly ally with their neighbours to beat back the Ayy.
>Team up to form a full-fedged star empire.
>>
>>52404755
>run a mile in under six minutes
if you can run a mile in under six minutes that would mean you could likely run 2 miles in 13 which is actually quite the challenge for most normal people. In fact it's considered the highest possible score on an army physical fitness test. By comparison benching your own weight is easy.
>>
>>52406298
>cuts funding for NASA
>fails to appoint administrators to run NASA
Yep, he sure seems really committed to it.
>>
>>52387227
>>52389117
Excepto living in zero would make no difference in a real space war because using drones is better than using manned fighters in any possible way. So it all comes down to who has the better weapons industry and the more advanced technology, and in a sci-fi setting with alien civilizations, that would hardly be us.
>>
>>52370738
Is there any creativity to these threads at all or is always just HFY posts of the same kind. I've never seen these threads churn out anything besides pasta.
>>
>>52409575
It's literally just a few idiots from Reddit trying to advertise their dying subreddit, bumping this thread every few hours with inane posts. HFY is a desiccated writing prompt that these guys just cycle through a simple loop, thinking they're being creative and imaginative, but really just repeating the same things that were said in the last time they tried to spam their unreadably awful collection.
>>
>>52404755

And I'll bet your dick is ten inches soft too, faggot.
>>
>>52375797
your missing the point, as humans we are used to being humans we take for granted what makes us unique and view human as a default state, such as in almost every fantasy or sci fi setting humans are the default standard we measure other beings by, we give them things we dont have and imagine how exotic that would be to be something better. humanity fuck yea turns such thinking on its itself focus's on parts of ourselves that though nothing special for us might not be the case in the grand sceme of life beyond earth
>>
>>52409834
Can you fuck off with your stupid "Humanity Fuck Yeah isn't Humanity Fuck Yeah, it's this contrived alternate view faggotry" bullshit already?

Read the fucking OP. That's HFY.
If anyone is missing the point, it would be you.

And, as bad as HFY is, your gay ideas are even worse, especially because you feel the need to tag them onto HFY.
>>
>>52406521
not him but seemed to me that was more of a middle ground post than an anti hfy
>>
>>52409050
All good sci-fi should have humans and Sasquatch as brother races.
>>
File: 1443897183314.jpg (316KB, 1350x940px) Image search: [Google]
1443897183314.jpg
316KB, 1350x940px
Humanity sucks and if an alien race offered to transform me into a higher lifeform, I would accept their offer instantly.

Fuck being human and fuck being associated with humans. I'd rather be the servant of some god-like space warrior than be related to any of you.
>>
>>52410478
>he doesn't want to actually do the hard work to make Humanity like those god-like space warriors
Why would they ever offer the opportunity to someone as lazy as you?
>>
>>52409225
Hi shareblue.

Everything except climate change shenanigans stayed the same or increased, but climate change shenanigans was a big part of it. Congress is at fault for slowing the appointment process.
>>
How to HFY.
>Create an alien species so pathetic it's astounding that they haven't all killed themselves.
>Furiously wank while imagining beating them up and then - if any were spared your wrath - them having to tell horror stories about your awesome prowess.
>Pretend that this was somehow impressive.
>>
>>52409050
That is awesome. Would play/watch/read/live through.
>>
>>52411199
Nice may-may, dood
>>
>>52411199
K
>>
>>52410478
Man is born from the dark. A soul that is kindled, flickers, dwindles, and dies in the shadows of his Gods.

The human form is fragile and death comes quickly, but the spirit is strong and it clings to life like only a mortal can. So in a way, man was not designed to become god-like; fear of death is what lets us live.

Take that away and humanity becomes harder to hold on to; without humanity, you could become more hollow than man.
>>
>>52411199
Checked for dub trips

Also inb4 the hfy fags attempt to dogpile you for accurately characterising the bulk of hfy pasta
>>
>>52412008
Vaati, don't you have some lore to search ?
>>
>1/8
Liu-Mei Banarjee – a human with brown skin, black, straight hair, and dark and narrow eyes – sat back down in the co-pilot’s chair beside me, careful not to spill the cup of coffee she’d just gotten for herself even as she handed the other one over to me. And what happened next had to be on purpose.

“Okay then, Thriik,” she said, after sipping thoughtfully on her coffee for a moment, “there’s sixteen zombies on the way up from the cargo pod and a malfunction that means that we can’t just vent them into space. What do you do?”

What I did was nearly spit the coffee all over the control panel in front of me. It took three arms and a supreme act of will to keep everything inside. “What?” I demanded after managing to swallow.

Banarjee looked me up and down. Mostly down, humans are generally taller than dethek. “Zombies,” she repeated. “Uh...I don’t think there’s a word in Standard for them. Walking corpses, dead but not dead, hunger for brains and the flesh of the living? Do dethek not tell stories about those?”

“We call them kthazzzashh,” I answer, and pointedly don’t note that movies with them used to always scare me shitless as a grub. “Why the Hell would you ask a question like that?” I ask, hugging myself with all four arms and hoping that humans don’t have a similar somatic gesture.

If they do, Banarjee lets it slide, at least. She lets out a sigh. “We’re the better part of a day out from a safe warp point and have clear vacuum all the way there. We’re basically just drifting, no piloting needed. I’m bored.” She sat up a little straighter, looking at me eagerly. “So. Zombie apocalypse. Sixteen of them heading up to us. What do you do?”
>>
>>52415662
>2/8
“Die, probably,” I note, trying to focus on my controls and not on the movies I shouldn’t have watched when I still needed four of my six limbs to walk. Unfortunately the drawback of compound eyes is that I can still clearly see that Banarjee’s own haven’t left me, plus Banarjee is right: there really isn’t anything to do. “Why sixteen?” I ask at length. Humans generally prefer to casually express numbers that are evenly divisible by five or ten, I’ve noticed, since that’s how many fingers they have between their two hands. Dethek are the same way with three and twelve.

“Because there’s eighteen of us on the crew,” Banarjee replies, though she takes a moment to think. “Though I guess not all of them will be turned...still, let’s call it a worst-case scenario. There’s only you and me left.”

“I think a worst-case scenario is a hull breach that sucks the two of us out into space,” I note. Banarjee lets out another one of her long-suffering sighs, and I manage to resist letting out one of my own. It’s funny, how similar body language is across sapient species. The form may differ, but the intent is generally the same.

I do spare a moment to take in my co-pilot for this shift. Humans are new to the interstellar scene, having only achieved warp space flight about eighteen Moraal years ago – something like forty-eight or sixty or something Earth ones. Their home system of Sol has three habitable planets – Earth, their homeworld, and the terraformed worlds of Venus and Mars. The three together formed the Solar Commonwealth that had expanded into the relatively empty nearby space and now counted eight major colonies and a host of minor ones, fairly respectable for such a new species (though personally I’m pretty sure the fact that they’re in a galactic backwater region helps).
>>
>>52415683
>3/8
They were expanding more than just their borders, though. Humans had spread throughout known space with the kind of zeal that all up-and-coming species do, eager to get their hands on new technology, new resources, new markets, and new experiences. I’m certain that Liu-Mei Banarjee falls into that last group. She’d joined Vashi-Tenet Shipping, Inc. eighteen months back and had boarded the S.S. Chuvanah when we had made a supply stop at Aita. VTS doesn’t have much in the way of high technology – just enough to get the job done – and unless we hit a warp flow that carried us to an uncharted and exploitable system, landing us a generous finder’s fee, then she wasn’t going to get rich running cargo and data between contract systems. So she had to be here for the experience, the chance to meet new species and go to new places.

Generally, I didn’t mind her. Humans have pretty good hand-eye coordination and spatial-temporal reasoning, as well as excellent stamina, a consequence of their evolution as spear-throwing endurance hunters. She made a good pilot and held up well to long shifts, and certainly got along well with the rest of the crew. Plus she’d convinced the crew to replace the company-provided stim drinks with something that she called instant coffee and most of us called liquid sex (okay, it’s not that good, but it’s far and away better than the dreck that VTS was giving us). But sometimes she’d ask the strangest questions, even taking her species’ newness to known space into account.

The newness and eagerness can be endearing, though. At length, I let out that sigh I had been holding back. “Seal the cockpit,” I say. Banarjee looks at me funny, and I look back. “If kthazzzashh – that’s what my species calls them – are coming up here, then I’d seal the cockpit. Kthazzzashh are stupid and slow, they won’t be able to get in.” I open my elytra a bit and spread my mandibles wide.
>>
>>52415698
>4/8
Banarjee’s own mouth had its corners turn up in a smile, the human equivalent to my own expression. “Okay,” she says, “so we’ll imagine they’re shufflers, then. Fair enough. But that still leaves sixteen zombies wandering around the ship. What happens if they break something important?”

My mandibles click shut as the vestigial wings beneath my elytra buzz in annoyance. “You want to kill the kthazzzashh?” I demand. “How? The only weapons on the ship are two decks below us.”

Banarjee tapped the side of her nose, her smile not leaving her face. She then points down. “Maintenance crawlspace,” she says. “Back in Sol we call them Jeffries Tubes. The one below us connects all the way to deck three.”

I look down at the access hatch for the crawlspace. She might have a point, but I look back to her, then back to the hatch. “You’re too big,” I say. “You wouldn’t be able to fit.”

“Yeah, so you’d have to go,” she responds, as though it should be obvious. “I’d stay in the cockpit – ”

“Safe and sound,” I note with some dismay.

“ – and distract the zombies,” she finishes, then looks around the cockpit a few moments. “Mmn...there. Ramij forgot the mop up here again. I’d leave the door to the cockpit open and shout a bunch, get the zombies’ attention so they’d come to me. Then I’d close it up. Any of them that got in, I’d be able to fend off with the mop. Break it in half and I could probably use the now-pointy end to destroy their brain, putting them down.”

I click my mandibles a few times at that. “You could, could you?” I ask incredulously. Banarjee did practice martial arts for exercise, but I also know that she’s only a hobbyist. Of the five sparring matches she’d had with Ramij, she’d only won one of them, by outlasting the varjren. But apparently in this scenario Ramij would be a kthazzzashh. They don’t get tired. Probably.
>>
>>52415714
>5/8
Banarjee only shrugs, however. “Well, seventeen zombies instead of sixteen isn't that much more for you to deal with. Your chances are probably the same either way.”

“And what if I’m attacked in the crawlspace?” I ask, suddenly remembering that I’m only the second-smallest member of the crew. “Tehcual could fit in there. He’d fit better, even.”

“You’ve got better reach and an exoskeleton for protection,” Banarjee points out. It isn’t really an exoskeleton, but I don’t correct her. She was glancing around, though this time in order to keep an eye on VTS-mandated cameras in the cockpit. After a few moments of checking them and where they were looking, she unzipped her flight jacket and surreptitiously showed me that, tucked inside, she had a large, wickedly curved knife of some kind.

I recoil at the sight, naturally. “That is a weapon on the cockpit,” I note. “There are so many regulations...pretty sure you’re not even allowed to have a knife that big on board…”

“Yeah, yeah,” Banarjee says, waving me off as she zips her jacket back up. “It was my grandfather’s. He was a Gurkha soldier in the Tibetan Republic, before the family moved to Mars. I wasn’t gonna just leave it there. And if a zombie apocalypse happened...or, let’s be realistic, something like chalak pirates – it’d be real useful to have, right?” She nodded at her own logic. “In any event, I’d give it to you before you went through the crawlspace.”

“Thanks…?” I ask, pretty sure that I’m not at all thankful. “Okay, so after cutting up Tehcual in close quarters without looking into his eyes while he screams – ”

“Huh?”

“That’s how kthazzzashh turn you into one of them.”
>>
>>52415730
>6/8
“Oh. In Sol it’s if they bite you, like an infection. You just have to not look directly at their eyes? Shouldn’t that be easy?” My mandibles clack and wings buzz in annoyance at that, as I use all four hands to point to all four multifaceted, compound eyes, blinking my transparent eyelids for emphasis. To her credit, the human catches on pretty quick. “Ah, right. Sorry.”

I shake my head. “Okay, so after that, they still leaves me alone on the ship with nothing but a knife. With you most likely having turned.” She frowns at my estimation of her odds, but I press on. “Even if I get to the armory, get in, and arm myself, it’s me against sixteen kthazzzashh.”

“Right,” Banarjee confirms. “So, what do you do?”

I think a moment. “Die,” I conclude. Before she can object, I press on. “But assuming I don’t...sixteen-on-one isn’t good enough odds for me to stand and fight, so I’d try and lure them into the cargo pods. Probably by a lot of running and screaming. Then I’d jettison the pods. And then I’d get fired for wasting company property and cargo.”

“But,” Banarjee points out, holding up one finger, “you’d be alive.”

I shrug, conceding that point. “What would you do?”

“Basically the same thing,” Banarjee responds, “only I don’t fit in the crawlspace so I’d have to go out into the corridors, be real quiet until I could arm myself. Avoid fighting. I’d turn off the atmosphere recyclers so my scent doesn’t spread, too. With me being the only one left breathing I wouldn’t have to worry about running out of air for days. Longer if I get into a space suit.”
>>
>>52415747
>7/8
I cross my arms in thought, two fingers bouncing off my mandibles. “Of course, then there’s cargo pods with kthazzzashh floating around in space. That must be a navigational hazard of some kind. What if someone picks them up? And we don’t have weapons to destroy them.”

Banarjee smiles at that, jerking her thumb backwards. “There’s no such thing as a weaponless starship,” she says. “Just point Chuvanah’s ass at them and crank us up to maximum burn. The fusion torch will burn the pods to liquid metal.”

That would work. Starships wrap bubbles of proto-warp around themselves for sublight maneuvering to get around pesky things like relativity, allowing for far faster speeds than a simple rocket would allow, but actual acceleration was still handled by a fusion torch. “We could also save fuel and just nudge the pods into a planet,” I point out, calling up the local system chart. “There’s a gas giant only a few million kilometers away. Set them up to intercept it and be crushed by the gravity, assuming they don’t just burn up in entry.”

Banarjee nods a little. “That would work, but I’d rather waste the fuel to be sure with zombies. You don’t take risks.”

She’s not wrong. I lean back in the pilot’s chair, considering. “What brought this on?” I ask.
>>
>8/8
The human woman shrugs. “Like I said, it’s something to talk about,” she answers. “Back in Sol, emergency response teams, the military, and so on, occasionally do ‘zombie apocalypse’ drills. It’s basically just a big game, but the idea is to encourage outside-the-box, lateral thinking, getting people used to coming up with solutions for problems they might not otherwise consider. Plus, it’s fun.” She looks to me. “Do dethek not do that?”

I’m not and have never been in the Moraal Defense Force, so I don’t know for sure...but I’d certainly never heard of it happening. Nor any other species performing it, for that matter. Sure, our troops and emergency teams and so on train for a variety of scenarios, but “kthazzzashh apocalypse” wasn’t one of them, or anything similar. They were always the plausible, if not probable, rather than the fantastic. “No,” I answer at length, “but maybe we should.”

“Maybe,” Banarjee says. We drink our coffee silently for a few minutes, letting the kilometers drift by as we coast through vacuum, before she speaks up again. “Okay, so a godlike alien whisks us all a thousand years into the past. What do we do?”

I laugh, but this time I don’t try and avoid the subject, and instead start thinking. I doubt any of this will ever come up. We’re just bulk freighter pilots and data mules, after all. But it certainly passes the time. And if it does come up somehow, against all odds? Well, thanks to this human, we’ll be ready.
>>
>>52414199
Glad at least one person got the reference.
Vaati's a dick, but it IS a good line, tbqh
>>
File: Untitled.png (272KB, 1325x2806px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
272KB, 1325x2806px
>>52415662 >>52415683 >>52415698 >>52415714 >>52415730 >>52415747 >>52415770 >>52415790

I've posted all of this before, but it was in .pdf form. I just wanted an image version. And now I have one.
>>
>>52410696

Because I'm not a delusional faggot who fantasizes about dumb shit like that.
>>
>>52415848
Why is he a dick ? Only looked his vids for the ds1 lore, didn't know about any drama.
>>
>>52416412
>Because I'm not a delusional faggot who fantasizes about dumb shit like that.
Says the delusional faggot who wants to be changed to other kin.
>>
>>52417081
Apparantly he plagiarizes a lot of his lore, even word for word copying other people. Or that's at least what I've heard. Most of the Souls circles I've been around have either disliked him or been neutral on the subject.
>>
>>52406936
Holy shit yeah thank you anon saving this.
>>
>>52416412
>he says, while delusionally fantasizing about not being human because all humans are shit and worthless
>except for him, of course, he deserves better
>>
Thing about Heavy worlders stuff:

It wouldn't be really blessing but curse. Sure you could act like we are space dwarfs as in sense of strong manlets (not counting people from heavier worlds) but downside would be that we would be on bottom of any space faring races who would need to waste less resources to reach orbit so this would mean they would heave easier time colonizing and exploring space than us. Any physical advantages of heavy worlder would be nothing next to larger fleet with larger numbers of people and resources send by their homeworld.
Also colonization of lighter worlds would be problem for human bodies what not used to grow and live in such gravity and would need to be fixed with medicide or body modification and probably would result of human off shots who would lose heave worlder status.
>>
>>52415940
So in nutshell it's "alien have poor understanding of fiction and games"?
>>
>>52417393
I think there's only a few points it can go lower before it really starts to mess with possible bodies that would have their own issues in space.

However, I did use this for my sci-fi game. All the aliens are Macross giant sized, but have very limited planet choices. Human world's are more spread out, but there's less competition for them.
>>
File: liek.jpg (58KB, 450x286px) Image search: [Google]
liek.jpg
58KB, 450x286px
>>52415940
s'good.
>>
>>52406326

My favorite HFY fiction is fiction that shows that alien species are superior to humanity in many ways, but humanity is also superior to alien species in many ways. I feel that making aliens superior to humans in some ways makes the story more meaningful.

I also like HFY fiction where humanity loses, but demonstrates a commendable but realistic effort doing so. Like this,

>>52371260
>>
File: thank_you_5chong.jpg (54KB, 530x800px) Image search: [Google]
thank_you_5chong.jpg
54KB, 530x800px
>tfw enjoy writefaggotry
>tfw enjoy sci-fi
>tfw the only places these two things intersect regularly on /tg/ are HFY threads, which are full of retarded WE DRINK POISON FOR FUN power-wankery and YOUR IMAGINARY SETTING IS NOT ALLOWED HERE autism
I just want to read stories about aliens
>>
File: 1422153192981.png (1017KB, 1974x3749px) Image search: [Google]
1422153192981.png
1017KB, 1974x3749px
>>52420286
I like any story that presents humans in a unique way, and highlights the differences between humans and other species. Even if it's not about a war like most HFY stories, I can find something to like about it as long as humans and various alien races are contrasted in several meaningful, interesting ways.

This one definitely does not count as HFY, but I like it for the same reason that I like many HFY stories.
>>
>>52421522
Try the story thread(s).
>>
>>52421522
I really wish HFY wasn't such a fucking taint.
I'm at least glad they're not such idiots as to try and post HFY shit in general screencap threads, because no one wants to read their garbage.

Also, if you want sci-fi writefaggotry, there's actually a writefag general that has modest activity.
>>
>>52421522
Then just ignore all the dumb power-wankery HFY and read the decent HFY.
>>
>>52422272
>decent HFY

Fuck you, and stop pretending that can exist or will ever exist.

It's all shit, because the writing prompt is geared towards producing nothing but shit.
>>
>>52422284
Dude, chillax. Complaining about it has the opposite effect of what you want apparently, so just let people who like it post something productive or let it die
>>
>>52397511
because Mr. Rogers told us to be all we can be

and thats all he can be, a massive faggot
>>
>>52422385
How about you fuck off and return to Reddit, and stop acting like spamming awful screencaps is enough to resurrect your shitshow?
>>
>>52421522
>I just want to read stories about aliens
Me too but most (almost all) have only shit aliens desinged for HFY without anything interesting or cool about them often having trouble with grasping simples things that you may wonder how they developed culture or reached stars on their own.

As much I hate HFY I must admit some of anti HFY fags here are just cancerous shitposters.

>>52422272
Hard to distinguish decent one from rest.
>>
As a general rule of thumb, H.F.Y. can broadly be divided into 2 categories:

Humans are awesome because we're the only specie capable of creativity / imagination / adaptability / tenacity / some other behavioural quirk.

These things being unique to us are generally unlikely given what we know about intelligence & the way it develops.

Second is 'Humans are awesome because we are physically superior to other species'.

This one, at least, has some basis in established knowledge: As mentioned elsewhere Earth is about as heavy-gravity a planet as it gets without making space-flight prohibitively difficult, making us (presumably) stronger than most other hypothetical alien races.

Also; we are descended from pursuit predators, (again, presumably) giving us a significant advantage in stamina & durability.

Additionally; I think I'm correct in saying that the endoskeleton can be traced back to a single evolutionary ancestor; potentially implying that it could be a relatively rare biological feature. If this is so, then we would have even further physical advantages over aliens lacking such an efficient support structure.

Of course the problem with this is that once we get to the point where we can reach out across the void & contact other species, we're almost certainly advanced enough that our physical capabilities are A.) irrelevant as all forms of combat (and probably even physically demanding labour) will be handled by machines which will vastly out-perform any biological entity, & B.) determined by our mastery of technologies such as genetics & bionics.

The kind of advantages we discuss in H.F.Y. stories would only really matter in very soft-science, space-opera, type stories where wars are fought by drafting Johnny Fartknocker, giving him a laser-rifle & a space flack-jacket & sending him of to fight WWII in spaaaaacccee.

Discuss.
>>
>>52422511
HFY is garbage, and needs to be purged.
You're a moron for thinking so much about a gay half-baked writing prompt that's just an "America Fuck Yeah" ripoff.

Let it rot on Reddit, the gay graveyard of the worst parts of 4chan.
>>
>>52422511
>This one, at least, has some basis in established knowledge: As mentioned elsewhere Earth is about as heavy-gravity a planet as it gets without making space-flight prohibitively difficult, making us (presumably) stronger than most other hypothetical alien races.
I already mentioned how this would mostly cause our disadvantige because of how hard to us would be to brink anything to orbit as compared to hypotetical light world aliens. Especially with your later point how technology would be more imporant than physical capabilities.

>Also; we are descended from pursuit predators, (again, presumably) giving us a significant advantage in stamina & durability.
>Additionally; I think I'm correct in saying that the endoskeleton can be traced back to a single evolutionary ancestor; potentially implying that it could be a relatively rare biological feature. If this is so, then we would have even further physical advantages over aliens lacking such an efficient support structure.
This is still just wishful thinking to give us unique trait. If its not really thing what other sapient species would have, what they would have instead that? HFY rarely if ever bother with giving answer to this
>>
>>52393808
And the misanthropic shit is the same as well. It's a mix of: Hurr we kill nature! We can't feel love and only hate everything like edgy teens. We only kill eachother! Muh Pollution, muh animals, muh nuclear is bad.

It's the same cycle and yet people are surprised HFY copies that as the exact opposite. It's what tends to happen to every genre, setting and subject. Just look at popular movies and books.

>Most SciFi is the same
>Most Medieval Fantasy is the same
>Most Horror is the same
>e.t.c.

You get a pearl once in a while but otherwise it's swimming through a lake of liquid shit. Just as usual.
>>
I made this challenge in one thread before

For HFY:
Made actually interesting aliens to follow to be fun to read about instead being just way to show HFY in current writepost
>>
File: heavy-worlders.png (87KB, 854x455px) Image search: [Google]
heavy-worlders.png
87KB, 854x455px
>>52422284
You don't know a thing about the bullshit you're spouting. You take one look at bad HFY like what OP posted and your automatic reaction is to assume that every example of HFY is a shitty power-fantasy, when there are several examples _in this very thread_ that show otherwise.

More egregiously, you assume that nothing is unique to humans and that no other alien would find any of our traits unusual, when basic logic shows how unlikely this is. Pic related is a good example, but it's far from the only one.
There's a very good chance, for example, that other aliens would have evolved from pure herbivores, rather than our omnivorous origins, and that this would naturally create differences between our cultures.
Perhaps other aliens evolved on planets with significantly smaller (or less hospitable) oceans, and thus aliens never discovered naval warfare, which would give a naval race like us a stronger tactical affinity for star-ship combat.
Maybe it's just something trivial, like aliens never discovering that you can drink with straws. Whatever.

There are too many variables to assume that nothing is going to be unique to humans. That's the fucking writing prompt, and you can do anything with it.

>>52422468
All you have to do is read the first few sencences of a piece of HFY; that's usually enough to tell if it's good or bad.
As a rule of thumb, most HFY stories involving humans interacting with aliens in a peaceful, diplomatic, and/or co-operative way are good, while most HFY stories involving humans fighting other aliens tend to be bad. Bad HFY is Avatar, good HFY is Hacksaw Ridge in Space.
>>
>>52422725

> This is still just wishful thinking to give us unique trait. If its not really thing what other sapient species would have, what they would have instead that?

You're probably right about the 'pursuit predator' thing. We might have superior stamina, but other species might be much faster over short distances or have better reflexes or what-have-you.

The endoskeleton, however, is a little different: If the ancient, worm/eel-like, creature from which all endoskeletals are descended had been wiped out in a mass-extinction, for example, then Earth would be dominated by creatures with exoskeletons, hydrostatic skeletons (using fluid-filled sacks for support), or no internal support structure whatsoever (e.g. jellyfish). None of these are as efficient at larger sizes as an endoskeleton.
>>
>>52422511
You've described the two categories of poor HFY.

Good HFY is split along similar lines, but focuses less on why humans are superior and more on why humans are unique.
>>
>>52422075
>>52422284
>>52422458
>being this mad
>>
>>52422544
>that's just an "America Fuck Yeah" ripoff.
>muh Reddit
lmao
>>
>>52422915

Fair enough.

Do you have any examples of H.F.Y. that you like?
>>
File: DogMemory1.png (186KB, 563x1727px) Image search: [Google]
DogMemory1.png
186KB, 563x1727px
Does pic related count as H.F.Y. ?

(Part 1 of 3.)
>>
File: DogMemory2.png (241KB, 514x2301px) Image search: [Google]
DogMemory2.png
241KB, 514x2301px
Part 2 of 3.
>>
File: DogMemory3.png (104KB, 525x951px) Image search: [Google]
DogMemory3.png
104KB, 525x951px
Part 3 of 3.
>>
>>52422915
>Good HFY is split along similar lines, but focuses less on why humans are superior

Good "HFY" is not HFY, whowuddathunk?
>>
>>52422801
Try this one:

The Hispida are Reptilian race that has grown itself out of house, home, and allies. Easily standing three times taller than the average human, and this is without their impressive tail, the Hispida stand out even amongst the many Large sized species of the Galaxy after pursuing an aggressive genetic engineering program that saw many improvements to the species as a whole, but brought trouble to their society. Through countless wars, conquests, and all manner of military operations, the Hispida have earned the ire of nearly all the races in this quadrant, many of whom are willing to cheat, steal, and chuck them out of airlocks.

However, they've found a new chance in the form of the youngest and smallest race of the Galaxy. Humans, who must certified before they can even consider going out into space at Large and guaranteed to have a certain minimum of technical abilities, are often pressed in many ways to employ the massive Hispida. Using corporate loopholes and good, old lies, the Hispida will try to earn enough money to make themselves a new home, or at least not burn the last bridge they have underneath them.
>>
File: plaque.png (111KB, 1270x528px) Image search: [Google]
plaque.png
111KB, 1270x528px
>>52422982
Like I said here >>52422839, good HFY is co-operational, while bad HFY is antagonistic.

I already posted >>52371260; that's my favorite example of HFY.

I like the Veil of Madness HFY, but more because I like the premise on its own rather than because I think it shows a good example of HFY.
I like Pic related for a similar reason, although I think it also has merit as HFY as well as on its own.

If you want to see a very good example of the principles of HFY, see >>52398630. It a little unusual, since it's both antagonistic AND co-operational, but it's pretty obvious to everyone that it's a story about mercy, not war.
>>
>>52423142
>while bad HFY is antagonistic.
I don't get this sentiment; aggression, war, anger, etc etc are all equally human as mercy, compassion, and so forth.
If you removed all "negative" values and traits, you wouldn't have humans.
If you removed all "positive" values and traits, you wouldn't have humans.
Exploring the more negative/darker aspects of humanity in an actually positive and glorified light is equally as important and doing the same for their complements.

Of course, it's hard to do that without falling into the "HURR HUMANS R TEH STRONKEST" stuff; how would humans wage war in a way that is unique, without tying into being merciful, stubborn, rocket-fuel-breathers, etc etc.
>>
>>52423142
>that's my favorite example of HFY.
And it's shit.
>>
File: remove-chan.png (578KB, 1050x925px) Image search: [Google]
remove-chan.png
578KB, 1050x925px
>>52423031
So let me see if I understand you. You claim to hate the genre, but you also claim to be such a fucking expert on it that you are the authority on the definition. So much so, that even though LITERALLY EVERYONE considers both versions to be HFY, you know better and only the other kind is """""real""""" HFY.

And, I just want to make sure I understand you logic, """""fake""""" HFY isn't actually HFY because it's not bad and HFY has to be bad because you say that HFY is bad.

And this entire thread, you've just been arguing literal fucking semantics, as you did believe that good HFY existed, you just didn't consider it to be HFY. Finally, for some reason, you decided that this tidbit was somehow unimportant to the conversation, and so dragged on the thread for fucking days before admitting the problem was how it was classified and not how it was written.

Tell me, in this entire thread, did it ever cross your mind that you shouldn't be such a fucking faggot and should maybe be open about your complaints, rather than wasting half the thread with shitposting and calling people Reddit before being honest with the real issue?
>>
>>52423313
>I DON'T LIKE THING
>>
>>52417566
Given that the first post of the story has Thriik thinking to herself that movies about "zombies" used to scare her as a grub, I think it's more the idea that aliens don't tend to "cross the streams", as it were. Aliens might train for "viral epidemic", but only humans train for the (patently absurd) "viral epidemic that raises the dead" scenario, not out of the idea that it's particularly likely to happen, but instead to encourage people to think up solutions to situations that they might not otherwise, which could then potentially be useful in more likely scenarios.
>>
>>52422915
>focuses less on why humans are superior and more on why humans are unique
This. For me, I feel as though the lure of HFY is in the interesting yet familiar presentation of the human race. So much sci-fi/fantasy (including much of the stuff that's big on /tg/) takes the lazy approach of making humans the "normal" ones, and giving every alien race a bunch of unique fluff and properties whose sole purpose is to set them apart from the "normal" humans. They don't take into account how these very different aliens see us, or the interesting interactions that can arise from that.

I find HFY a refreshing change, even though it's often the same boring
>DATA LOG ZARBLAAT GOOB NINE
>We have been at war with the humans for seven kooblars. We thought we had them cornered, but then they used their incredible courage and creativity to charge us head-on! Then they started DRINKING POISON!
>It sends a shiver up my snoosnack just remembering that fateful day...
>>
>>52423232
"As a rule of thumb." It's perfectly normal for HFY to focus on Humanity's "negative" traits; as long as it examines what makes humans unique and/or noteworthy. The thing is, most people who write antagonistic HFY tend to treat Humanity's "negative" traits as "positive" traits; shit like >>52398509 and >>52398609.

It's also worth remembering that HFY is basically the flip-side of Cosmic/Lovecraftian Horror (or at least that's what I consider it to be). One is about how Humans are different from the cosmos and how that makes us good/special, while the other is about how humans are different from the cosmos and how that makes us bad/insignificant.
You can focus on Humanity's flaws, but you have to do it in such a way that shows them in a semi-positive light. Maybe it can be a story about Humanity struggling with the sisyphean task of overcoming/trancending it's flaws.

>>52423313
Meh. To each their own. Would you be kind enough to elaborate on why you don't like it, perhaps? I'd very much like to know your opinion.
>>
>>52423434
>The thing is, most people who write antagonistic HFY tend to treat Humanity's "negative" traits as "positive" traits
And why is that necessarily bad?
>>
File: ayydrenalin.png (61KB, 1213x807px) Image search: [Google]
ayydrenalin.png
61KB, 1213x807px
>>52422982
>>
>>52423456
On its own, it's not bad. In HFY, it's bad because it almost always leads to power-wankery.
>>
File: ayydrenalin2.png (109KB, 1332x1032px) Image search: [Google]
ayydrenalin2.png
109KB, 1332x1032px
>>
File: ayykubists.png (253KB, 1427x2717px) Image search: [Google]
ayykubists.png
253KB, 1427x2717px
>>
File: spessmehrens.jpg (426KB, 961x2597px) Image search: [Google]
spessmehrens.jpg
426KB, 961x2597px
>>
File: spaceslavs.png (440KB, 1549x2494px) Image search: [Google]
spaceslavs.png
440KB, 1549x2494px
>>
File: spaceslavs2.png (807KB, 1000x2997px) Image search: [Google]
spaceslavs2.png
807KB, 1000x2997px
>>
>>52423316
>You claim to hate the genre

It's not a genre, you simpleton. It's a dumb writing prompt, and you're moronically trying to make it more than it is.

That's your major issue right there. You are stupid enough to think that HFY is anything more than a collection of really shitty wank stories, when all you ever do to try to prove otherwise is post more really shitty wank stories.

At least in the past the HFY faggots weren't pretentious cunts like you, and had enough sense to recognize that this whole thing was about as deep as out-of-town soccer hooligans cheering for whatever baseball team has colors that they like.

So, quit being a pretentious cunt, you dumbfuck.
>>
File: donut diplomacy.png (2MB, 1236x1335px) Image search: [Google]
donut diplomacy.png
2MB, 1236x1335px
>>
File: WEWAZAPES.png (182KB, 756x3034px) Image search: [Google]
WEWAZAPES.png
182KB, 756x3034px
>>
>>52423591
>if I use more swears, it makes me more mature
>>
File: delivery4ayys.jpg (169KB, 1869x387px) Image search: [Google]
delivery4ayys.jpg
169KB, 1869x387px
>>
File: MFW HFY Thread.gif (4MB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
MFW HFY Thread.gif
4MB, 480x320px
filename appropriate
>>
File: why they wont talk to us.jpg (59KB, 1240x162px) Image search: [Google]
why they wont talk to us.jpg
59KB, 1240x162px
>>
>>52423628
>I got wrecked, so let's try to dodge by showing how upset I am about what he's calling me

Awwwwww... poor baby.
>>
File: the devil rides shotgun.png (93KB, 1267x706px) Image search: [Google]
the devil rides shotgun.png
93KB, 1267x706px
>>
>>52423685
>>
File: the zaff theory.jpg (38KB, 750x549px) Image search: [Google]
the zaff theory.jpg
38KB, 750x549px
>>
>>52423717
>projection

Might be time for you to go on to Reddit where people take pretentious cunts like you seriously.
>>
File: semantics.png (134KB, 1260x506px) Image search: [Google]
semantics.png
134KB, 1260x506px
>>52423591
>"It's not a genre"
>he's literally arguing semantics
YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP FOLKS!

Seriously though, have you ever considered that something that start out stupid and childish can mature and become better over time? Cause if not, consider that we're on fucking 4chan right now, yet we aren't in a circle-jerk talking about how WE ARE ANONYMOOSE WE ARE TEH LEEJIN WE DO EET FOR TUH LULZ.

Now go. If you want to posture and pretend you're too good for the shit us plebs like, go to 8gag.
>>
File: the eternal M2.jpg (143KB, 548x1977px) Image search: [Google]
the eternal M2.jpg
143KB, 548x1977px
>>
>>52405768
The idea being that any species capable of interstellar travel wouldn't be overly concerned about a solidarity based on species--their own or in other groups. That would be a good way to lump yourself in with idiots. No reason to do that when it's more important--and more agreeable--to associate with the best and brightest rather than focus on identity.
>>
>>52423745
Did your brain short-circuit or something?
>>
>>52423685
Different Anon here. Piece of advice: if you claim that your own arguments "wrecked" someone, no one's gonna take you seriously.

Let's try something new: HFY has an occasional, single general thread and doesn't spread to other threads on the board, except insofar as WH40K is basically HFY with a thin disguise.

So not dealing with it is as simple as not coming into the one single thread. And that's what a mature adult would actually do: not let it bother them and move on to other things.

If you're mad, it's 'cause you're choosing to get mad.
>>
>>52423745
>have you ever considered that something that start out stupid and childish can mature and become better over time?
Don't we call that the history of books, movies, and every fucking medium ever made?
>>
File: STALKERSinspess.png (104KB, 1020x1514px) Image search: [Google]
STALKERSinspess.png
104KB, 1020x1514px
>>
>>52423750
>any species capable of interstellar travel wouldn't be overly concerned about a solidarity based on species
Why?
>>
>>52423685
>Awwwwww... poor baby.
What's next? Sweetie pie? Snookums? You sound like a massive cunt.
>>
File: nuketheknifeears.png (786KB, 600x3753px) Image search: [Google]
nuketheknifeears.png
786KB, 600x3753px
not scifi per se, but HFY nonetheless
>>
File: MFW SJW ITT.jpg (39KB, 896x896px) Image search: [Google]
MFW SJW ITT.jpg
39KB, 896x896px
>>52423685
>>52423591
>>52423780
>>
>>52423750
We can already do that now, effectively, with airplanes and all our other means of effective Travel.

Guess what, humans still prefer dumbasses of their own nation over good people from foreign nations.
Hey, that might actually be our unique thing. Humans being the only species who care about (or even have a concept for) solidarity.
>>
File: everyayysbestfriend.jpg (140KB, 1233x429px) Image search: [Google]
everyayysbestfriend.jpg
140KB, 1233x429px
>>
File: gordon ramsayy.jpg (256KB, 1233x786px) Image search: [Google]
gordon ramsayy.jpg
256KB, 1233x786px
>>
>>52423756
>except insofar as WH40K is basically HFY with a thin disguise

You HFY fags really need to stop trying to look at everything through your HFY faggotry lenses. They distort what you see, so you end up missing everything except what matches your retarded obsession about humans having to be the best.

And, fuck off with your "we only spam this occasionally." Any of your gay spam is unwanted. You're spamming offtopic shit stories here, and you plan to keep doing it in the future, regardless of how much shittier each iteration of these threads becomes.

What's your end goal? To create the shittiest threads imaginable? You've already done that, so quit trying to see how far you can push these insane "lets try to repeat the same retarded and or pretentious arguments we've had a hundred threads ago while reposting the same shitty screencaps that no one ever reads because they're written by retarded amateurs with zero to no exposure to anything resembling decent science-fiction writing" threads.
>>
File: kill markings.jpg (38KB, 299x382px) Image search: [Google]
kill markings.jpg
38KB, 299x382px
>>
>>52423766
Meaningful interstellar travel, if it's possible at all, is going to depend on a society made up of a massive number of people capable of supporting a class of extremely talented scientists and engineers who will need to be willing to take any good idea that comes their way, regardless of whether the person who came up with the idea is from a woman, or a black person, or a Jew, or whatever.

Now, whether that extends to alien species, that's up in the air. However I'm inclined to believe that if you're, for example, willing to set aside petty differences like race, gender, or religion, then it'll probably naturally continue to include species, particularly since (given the essentially limitless resources available in just this galaxy, nevermind the whole universe) there is unlikely to be conflict over interstellar territory or "living space".
>>
>>52423783
This is the sort of thing that enables people to quickly look into what HFY is, and to realize how retarded it is.
>>
>>
>>52423847
>What's your end goal?

Fun.

>And, fuck off with your "we only spam this occasionally."

I am one thousand percent certain that a single thread specifically dedicated to it does not constitute "spam".
>>
>>52423847
...are you saying that 40k, the universe whose core conflict is Mankind's desperate survival in a universe stacked against them, is not HFY?

fucking HOW?
>>
>>52423859
>whether that extends to alien species, that's up in the air
I'd imagine that, the moment a race is able to start colonizing and performing interstellar travel, that expansionist and jingoistic viewpoints quickly start to become very popular. Envoronmentalism would be the first to go; after-all, why do you need to care for Mars' environment if you terraformed it?
I'd say that, by the time the race actually encounters another alien species, that it'd have been entrenched in a species-supremacist culture for quite a while, and wouldn't be the most friendly group of people.

Plus, there's the whole idea that war makes science grow quicker, so a warlike race might have better science, but that's a lazy answer so fuck it.
>>
>>52423892
Because humans are weak and pathetic and everything is a tongue-in-cheek joke, you idiot. It's a grim dark setting where humans are losing to other humans, getting murdered by mushrooms and bugs, and generally trying to be badasses while everyone else has bigger, badder, and nastier tools to wreck them.

It's not HFY, because HFY only exists as a dumb writing prompt, and trying to extend it beyond that is only trying to limit everything else to the limitations that are inherent to HFY.

HFY is just a bad way to write science fiction because it asks to explore an idea, but only ever from one side of it.
>>
>>52423892
Also don't forget that 40K has established that Earth had a psyker born on it sometime in I think 10,000 BC who was immortal and so powerful that he can stalemate four chaos gods simultaneously (in fact, the four most powerful chaos gods...three of whom were created due to the actions of humans, and the fourth of whom, who was not (Slaanesh), is noted as being at his/her strongest still weaker than Nurgle at his weakest, even though Slaanesh was born from the psychic energies of billions of an extremely potent psychic race, while Nurgle was born from just a few million humans dying of plague during the reign of Justinian). But he's still, from a genetic standpoint, human.

Then he used his genetic material to create twenty sons who are just a few steps short of his power level. And are still, genetically, human.

Then each of those twenty sons had THEIR genetic material used to create legions of Space Marines, supersoldiers with bones as strong as steel and the reflexes of cheetahs who can bench press a tank. But they're still human.

Oh, and let's not forget all those memes floating around of "let it be noted that the planet broke before the Guard did".

And humans alone amongst the various races of 40K have pulled all this off. Because they're Special (TM).
>>
>>52375769

found the alien
>>
>>52376036
Pretty much sums up how I feel about HFY, thanks for sharing.

I guess it's easy to be proud of your achievements when you've set the bar so low that you'd need a shovel to be under it...
>>
>>52423990
Except that that's all nothing compared to the Necrons, worthless against the Tyranids, and generally not all that impressive compared to the Eldar.

Humans are cool in 40k but there's a degree of balance, something that HFY fags never understand.
>>
>>52423977
>that expansionist and jingoistic viewpoints quickly start to become very popular.

I can't imagine why. As I said, most material resources are essentially limitless. The only thing that has any actual value are what amount to luxury goods, things you can only find on a specific planet and which are in high demand as a result even though no one NEEDS them.
>>
>>52423978
>Because humans are weak and pathetic and everything is a tongue-in-cheek joke, you idiot. It's a grim dark setting where humans are losing to other humans, getting murdered by mushrooms and bugs, and generally trying to be badasses while everyone else has bigger, badder, and nastier tools to wreck them.
and succeeding, and holding, and continuing to survive even in the face of all that, and something being tongue in cheek doesn't prevent it from having legitimate themes and depth.

>It's not HFY, because HFY only exists as a dumb writing prompt
Every genre is a dumb writing prompt full of utter shit, with a few gems here and there.
>>
>>52424045
The material resources are limitless because they can now be obtained with colonies and asteroid mining, and the rapid expansion to create such things would lead to expansionist economic jingoism.
>>
>>52423990

>three of whom were created due to the actions of humans

.....?

The three original Chaos gods date back to the 'War in Heaven' between the Necrons & the Old Ones, millions (possibly even billions) of years before Humans even evolved.
>>
>>52380000
>I do not like todays HFY.
>It's merely humanity kicking arse. Yeah, that was fun when I was 15.
Yes

>
'real' HFY is when the bad qualities of man is shown as good. When our cruelty, our harsh determination for the demise of our enemies, the capability of using something like children, the epitome of innocense, just to further our goals.
Oh, okay. So you're 16 now?
>>
>>52424029
>Except that that's all nothing compared to the Necrons,

All three of them who are actually awake.

>worthless against the Tyranids,

Which are just another bug faction that exist to get killed in the millions.

>and generally not all that impressive compared to the Eldar.

Who are dying as a race and on the way out, and do not hold a candle to the Imperium.

A major conceit of WH40K is that the Imperium is so vast and powerful that, with perhaps the exception of the Tyrannids, they could easily curbstomp any of the other factions one-on-one. It's just that the Imperium isn't dealing with them one-on-one, and furthermore has to deal with an inept bureaucracy that occasionally leads to infighting. And the Tyrannids, but again: they're there to be a bug hunt.

"Humanity can't take on literally everything else all at once" is hardly a scathing rebuttal of the idea that 40K isn't HFY.
>>
>>52424091
>The three original Chaos gods date back to the 'War in Heaven' between the Necrons & the Old Ones, millions (possibly even billions) of years before Humans even evolved.

Really? Because it's my understanding that Khorne dates to the Aztec Empire, Nurgle dates to the Plague of Justinian, and Tzeentch dates to some time during the Renaissance.

40K lore has been retconned so much that it wouldn't surprise me if that's not the case anymore...though changing them to be truly ancient deities that the God-Emperor can nevertheless stalemate, hardly damages my point that the God-Emperor is nevertheless genetically, fundamentally human and feeds into the HFY of the setting.

>>52424088
>and the rapid expansion to create such things would lead to expansionist economic jingoism.

There are more material resources in the Sol asteroid belt than humanity could ever possibly use. It wouldn't be economically feasible to schlepp to asteroid belts in other star systems.
>>
>>52424106
>
A major conceit of WH40K is that the Imperium is so vast and powerful that, with perhaps the exception of the Tyrannids, they could easily curbstomp any of the other factions one-on-one

Confirmed for not knowing shit about 40k.
Humanity is a dying, fading light that struggles to hold onto what little they have. They're far and away from being the strongest faction, and it's actually supposed to be understood that a far amount of the material written about the Imperium is actually in the tone of propaganda (the writer's way of of explaining away inconsistencies and awkward numbers).

Humans are getting a pat on the back just for surviving. Other factions are thriving.
>>
>>52424106
>they could easily curbstomp any of the other factions one-on-one.

Okay, agreeing with you on 40k being obvious HFY, but how the ever loving FUCK would the imperium be able to curb stomp the gods of chaos, their main antagonist, when no one could ever get into their citadels to actually kill them?
>>
>>52424184
>how the ever loving FUCK would the imperium be able to curb stomp the gods of chaos

By bribing the writers to favor the Imperium over Chaos :^)
>>
>>52424195
meta tactics don't count you sheeky breeky
>>
>>52424169
It's not the breadth of expansion, but the actual act of expansion that would cause the cultural shift.

>>52424184
Chaos gods can't manifest physically. They need to tempt mortals to create enough carnage for their daemons to manifest and exist in the universe.
Plus, the chaos gods can't team up to save their lives.
>>
>>52424183
>Humans are getting a pat on the back just for surviving. Other factions are thriving.

The Orks and Tyrannids are thriving (unless the Tyrannids are actually just fleeing from something worse, which is the lore I always preferred). The Necrons are mostly asleep and there aren't that many of them anyway, the Eldar and Dark Elder are dying, the Tau are in way over their heads, Chaos only exists at all due to Imperium ineptitude, and the Q'Orl don't have a codex and so can't contribute.

>>52424184
>but how the ever loving FUCK would the imperium be able to curb stomp the gods of chaos, their main antagonist, when no one could ever get into their citadels to actually kill them?

Because exerting themselves into the Materium isn't easy, and a lot of how they achieve it is due to the Imperium's enforced ignorance to the masses about how Chaos actually works. We know for a fact that, for example, the Interex didn't have to deal with nearly the same level of Chaos shit that the Imperium does, precisely because they didn't deny Chaos and how Chaos works.

If the God-Emperor hadn't had his head stuck up his ass and just sat down with people and explained how Chaos worked, and made it the official policy of the Imperium to do such, then the Chaos gods would be all but impotent to affect the Materium.
>>
I think the hallmark of good HFY is showing the reader both sides of the misunderstanding simultaneously.

For example, take a well-known HFY story like >>52406936 . It's not a new idea. In fact, you could argue that The Pulse is basically Ender's Game on a grander scale (both stories see humans retaliate and wipe out aliens who are desperately trying to surrender, but are unable to communicate).

The difference is perspective. In Ender's Game, the story is told through the human lens, and the tragic misunderstanding isn't made clear to the reader until the very end. In The Pulse, the aliens are the narrators, allowing the reader to see both sides and identify with the antagonist's "strange" behaviors. Yes, of course humans would at first resist having their minds forcefully merged into a singularity. Of course we'd use our engineering prowess to wage a retaliatory war in response to 90% of us dying. And of course we'd be unable to end a war with an enemy we cannot communicate with.

That little bit of dramatic irony - that the reader gets to see both sides of the story, but the alien narrator does not - makes for a very unique presentation that I think is the main appeal of HFY.
>>
>>52425219
That story isn't particularly good. Did you write it? Is that why you're trying to draw attention to it?

It kind of works against your argument to do so, because if you're saying it has what HFY needs to be good, than HFY just isn't very good.
>>
>>52425300
Anon, I'm fairly sure that stick up your ass is, in fact, a fully grown Redwood.
>>
>>52425522
Ah, even your post writing sucks.
>>
>>52425572
>implying I'm him
>everyone who responds to you is the same person
>>
>>52425658
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to trigger your autism.
>>
>>52423783
>lets Nuke our lines that will show those knife ears
That guy may still get radiation poisoning if he is not in range of blast wave. Elf may be immue or use magic to heal any raddiation.
>>
>>52423039
Now thats interesting. I would like to read story about that instead all of those "good" HFY where we just better than everybody else because minor characteristic/quirk/flaw or everything about us.
>>
>>52429257
Well that's basically just >>52398822 but reskinned.
>>
>>52423978
>HFY is just a bad way to write science fiction because it asks to explore an idea, but only ever from one side of it.
The entire point of HFY is that the default in science fiction, especially scifi /tg/ settings that include chargen phases, is the OTHER side of that coin. Quit your bitching.
>>
>>52429257
>>52429453
Woah, I remember reading that pasta years ago, maybe that's why I made something similar.

Might as well use the last posts to discuss sci-fi RPGs:

What's the opinion on Traveller and Stars Without Number?
>>
>>52422839
My rule of thump regarding good HFY is same as rule for good Mary Sue - you can have some HFY elements but ultimately may not count as HFY (at least not obviously), also blalant anti HFY stories are also shit
>>
>>52429453
I didn't read that one because it long and I avoid those in case it will be another boring HFY in end.
>>
>>52430548
So, basically, the only good "HFY" is the "HFY" that isn't HFY.
>>
surely you mean proud to be white, op.
you wouldn't think HFY applies to non-whites, right?
>>
>>52432009
Like literally everything else that people consume, HFY is good in moderation, and bad in overwhelming quantities.

>>52432068
Adam and Eve Did Nothing Wrong.
>>
File: 1265.jpg (108KB, 412x650px) Image search: [Google]
1265.jpg
108KB, 412x650px
I want a HFY story where humans have a "Good Neighbor" Policy, where we basically keep the peace throughout the galaxy with legions of expeditionary soldiers and condottieri that help overthrow evil regimes and put a stop to wars between other species.

A symbol of hope for every species in the galaxy.

Was even thinking of writing something like it.

Y / N ?
>>
>>52432428
I'm working on something similar to that right now. It's less about the general human policy of enforcing peace, and more about one specific human diplomat trying to end one specific war.
>>
>>52432068
Some of it does, some of it doesn't.
>>
>>52432428
I would prefer if Humanity was just one of many members of such alliance (even if one of main one) instead one change.

Like Trek Federation done right
>>
>>52432428
Landsknecht in space?
>>
>>52432216
But HFY is categorized precisely by taking humanity to extremes, making it always shit? I'm glad you clarified why it's so fucking awful.
>>
>>52423591
>these two words are totally different even though they're interchangeable
Newsflash, writing prompts = genres
>>
>>52433871
Are you literally incapable of having a nuanced opinion?
>>
>>52432068
>non-whites and non-asians
>human
>>
>>52432428
So, space America?
>>
>>52434079
Are you still trying to pretend there's any good HFY, when every single screencap in this thread is about as enjoyable as eating wet garbage?
Are you going to try to tell me how much you enjoy eating wet garbage, about the nuances of the flavors, in as pretentious a manner as possible?
>>
>>52434134
Are you going to keep going on about how your own opinion is objective fact?
Different anon, by the way.
>>
Friendly reminder that the entirety of the "Humanity is the species with the most diversity" bullshit is completely wrong.
At some point in time our race was narrowed down to a few thousand individuals. As a result we fall as inbreds compared to other earth animals.
Unless they also experienced such a traumatic event in their past expect aliens to be much more colorful, unique, and diverse than us.
>>
>>52434190
Are you hoping to hide behind subjectivity to excuse the writing equivalent of a steaming wet pile of garbage pulled out of a fast food joint's dumpster?
>>
>>52434277
Genetics ≠ Culture. An alien species with twice the biodiversity of Homo Sapiens does not mean that it has twice the cultural diversity.

>>52434293
>muh badwrongfun
>>
>>52434277
>>52434360
Furthermore, Phenotype ≠ Genotype. It's perfectly possible for an alien species to have significant biodiversity but lack significant physical differences between individuals.
>>
>>52434277
At what point do those far more colorful, unique, and diverse aliens cease to be the same species? Surely if they became widespread enough, without efficient global or regional transportation (assuming they can't fly or something as mobile as that), they'd eventually undergo speciation.
>>
File: smugnapoleon.jpg (7KB, 165x200px) Image search: [Google]
smugnapoleon.jpg
7KB, 165x200px
>>52434398
Yeah because that's totally what happened with humanity. Here is the only smug enough picture.
>>
Can someone help me find a HFY story I read a couple years ago?

Featured a team of alien scientists stumbling on what's left of Earth after humanity's been cast down as rulers of the galaxy. Lots of ruminating about humanity's cruelty and power
>>
>>52432428
Watch Babylon 5 seasons 1-4 first.
>>
>>52434491
Blacks are already a distinct subspecies.
>>
>>52434491
What? I'm saying that didn't happen to humanity, because the time period between "near-extinction of humanity" and "recent and modern era of effective global transit" was small enough that speciation didn't have time to occur.

In a species that DIDN'T have that near-extinction bottleneck where their entire species was constrained to a singular region (from which they spread out again), they'd obviously be far more spread out over their world. It's also fair to assume they'd spread out far more quickly than humanity had, implying a longer interval between "geographic spread" and "effective global transit", meaning a larger probability of speciation.

I don't see what the issue with this question is, you don't need to be a smug cunt about it.
Also
>Yeah because that's totally what happened with humanity.
>Everything that happened to humanity necesarily has to happen the same way with aliens
>Aliens couldn't have speciated into multiple surviving branches at some point in their history, because humans didn't.
>>
>>52434737
Wouldn't caucasians be a distinct subspecies, since they interbred with Neanderthals?
>>
"You want to know the truth about human hegemony?

We were here first.

That's it.

People bullshit about it. Our culture, our humor, our religion, our manifest destiny, our biological superiority, our technology, our moral fiber, our innovation and uncrushable spirit!

It's all bullshit. We just showed up before anyone else reached the stars and colonized and enslaved them before they had a chance to do shit about it.

The Alien is not a coward, the Kurath sent their sole warship against a corporate invasion fleet, sacrificed continents and seas in a running battle through their own biosphere. Species beyond number have tried, and failed, to nuke themselves to glass in a desperate attempt to die free. The alien has culture, the Pamna were amazing artists, the Abuum poets beyond compare before we subjugated them. The alien has religion and humor and biological advantages and new technologies and a million other advantages. They miss only one, one single thing, that makes the others all irrelevant:

They got here second. Our infrastructure, size, the competition between nations that demands new colonies and servitor races, it means that whatever they have is irrelevant save for the space they fill in our new society.

And if someone else, the Kimari, the Abuum, the Roschek, had been here first we'd be wondering what social humor and endurance capabilities would be useful for under our new alien overlords. It'd be their hegemony, their lies and excuses, their burden and atrocities."
>>
Shame the thread was ruined by shitposters
>>
>>52421998

Nice. Saved.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 71

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.