[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stars without Number

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: Stars without Number.jpg (18KB, 620x361px) Image search: [Google]
Stars without Number.jpg
18KB, 620x361px
Your experiences with the system called "Stars without Number"

I've had a several month long campaign using this system and it's pretty solid, character creation is fun but easy, combat is pretty standard but at lower levels very deadly so tactical approachs are needed. The world generation tools can be quickly used to get a base template for a planet set up which massively speeds up the time the GM spends building the universe.

Overall I like it, not the hardest sci-fi I've played and artifical intelligence characters are pretty overpowered but it's fun.
>>
>>52362420
>Your experiences with the system called "Stars without Number"

I've yet to use SWN as itself. Instead, I've been borrowing big chunks of it to flesh out a Traveller sandbox campaign.

As you note, the world gen tools are quick yet still detailed enough to give a GM a nice starting point. I like the trade system because it produces encounter & adventures instead of just being a number crunching exercise. I'm also using Starvation Cheap to "run" a planetary war of which the players will become involved in a small part.

Finally, the Faction rules are inspired and, with little work, can be use for any genre. I'm using them to create a "living setting" for the players, meaning shit happens and life goes on whether they're involved or not.
>>
I'm curious how good of a fit this would be for 40k. Operating a starship, space adventure, political intrigue, that sort of thing. I really like Rogue Trader's premise but don't really like the ruleset.

In particular the idea of large scale stuff like the faction system seem like it would map well to RT. (maybe more so than its actual ruleset)
>>
>>52363263
First things first: ffg's ruleset for 40k sucks total ass. This is not up for debate.
Second: swn is old school and deadly, ought to do 40k just fine if you can swing with the old school rules.
Third: ANY ruleset will work if it's the rules you and your players enjoy - even ffg's ruleset.

tl;dr - it will work if you want it to.
>>
Ships are crazy expensive but you can't sell them for even 10% of it's market price even if it's in great condition.
>>
>>52365653
Ships are exactly as expensive and have as much resale value as the DM decides. Rule 0.
>>
File: beowulf.jpg (63KB, 350x280px) Image search: [Google]
beowulf.jpg
63KB, 350x280px
>>52365653
>Ships are crazy expensive but you can't sell them for even 10% of it's market price even if it's in great condition.

The thing is, in the SWN setting as written, there is no "market price" for a starship.
They're a key to the cosmos, a key that most planets don't have access to.
If someone wants a ship, they're either going to offer as much as they can for it, or they're going to try and take it by force.
According to Suns of Gold (with it's libertarian/free-trade bent), governments are more likely to "nationalise" starships by force.

Essentially starships are "priceless", in that generally one cannot put a set price on them.
>>
>>52362420
has anyone used this for mass effect?
>>
>>52370775

Dunno, but I've used it for Trek. I bolted on a number of house rules to deal with the higher tech level, but it works pretty smooth.
>>
>>52370775
>Mass Effect Without Number

Crawford (the developer) responded to a forum post with some basic advice here:

>http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?19117-Stars-Without-Number&s=0c0983b7f094077a121b26d2650eb7d7&p=430995#post430995

Which was later adapted into a more in-depth hack, here:

>http://www.story-games.com/forums/discussion/16189/mass-effect-rpg-a-campaign-setting-for-stars-without-number

I don't agree with all of it and generally think it's just changing too much stuff for the heck of it, but hopefully it gets the old noggin joggin.
>>
File: SunsOfGoldThumb_1024x1024.jpg (143KB, 802x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SunsOfGoldThumb_1024x1024.jpg
143KB, 802x1024px
>>52363263

As another Anon mentioned, it's pretty deadly, which might get in the way of high-flying space adventure if you're going for that kind of RT game. If you don't mind the lethality, SWN literally has a "Rogue Trader With The Serial Numbers Filed Off" supplement, "Suns of Gold".

Instead of "Rogue Traders", the PCs are referred to as "Far Traders", and it contains rules for all sorts of fucking-shit-up-isms, including handy adventure templates for such fun pastimes as "Unseating Authority" or "Inciting Rebellion" on worlds that don't agree with your trading policies (or who might have a problem with you shipping in thousands of tons of off-world cargo and completely destabilizing their economy). It's a bundle of fun.
>>
File: 1472766955114.jpg (438KB, 1516x750px) Image search: [Google]
1472766955114.jpg
438KB, 1516x750px
What other space games are pretty good?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.