[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 487
Thread images: 46

File: escapeplan.png (22KB, 1076x503px) Image search: [Google]
escapeplan.png
22KB, 1076x503px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

Escape Plan Edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: The Mystic Class
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52343438

The official DnD twitter tweeted out this website: planescape.com, which has an exciting countdown on it. How are you preparing for PlaneScape: Disappointment?
>>
4th Edition is pretty fun, and I encourage DMs and players alike to read it for some tips on how to spice up the otherwise dull periods all too common with 5e gameplay.
>>
copying from old thread
>>52349911
I like that, that's really thematic. Maybe put charges on it (6) and at dawn roll a 1d20, if it's below a 10 gain back one charge?
>>52349912
I like the concept, maybe a gauntlet that acts as a +1 weapon/spellcasting focus for the purposes of unarmed attacks, inflict wounds, vampiric touch and chill touch?
>>
It's going to be Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition. Unless it ties in with the next book and all the hints and shit about the next two books are wrong, it's not going to change anything for 5e.

Also
>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.me/5eg
>>
I don't care about planescape enhanced edition, I care about the anon scanning TftYP. He's a cool guy and I hope he has a good day.
>>
>>52350143
>>52350144
Planescape: SJW edition would be an incredible disappointment. You're therefore most likely correct.
>>
>>52350139
I wouldn't bother with charges, the effects are in line with cantrips or ritual spells.
>>
File: 1435162117855.jpg (14KB, 245x255px) Image search: [Google]
1435162117855.jpg
14KB, 245x255px
Oh boy, I can't wait for ANOTHER old classic DnD game to be ruined by bad developers taking inspiration from current era Bioware by going back and retroactively shoehorning in bad characters, nonsensical plotlines and out-of-character actions under the banner of whatever happens to be relevant on Twitter at the moment to deflect any criticism of the game!
>>
>>52350208
itstimetostopposting.jpg
heresyourreply.png
bait.tiff
>>
So this is the rumor list I'm rolling when the characters ask for rumours about goblins, 1~5 are true, 6 to 10 are false.

> 1 - The Goblins are pillaging small villages near Western City.
> 2 - The Goblins are stocking food.
> 3 - The Goblins invaded a old fort and are restauring it now.
> 4 - The Goblins fear something.
> 5 - People saw Goblins flying in Baloons.
> 6 - The Goblins have a Dragon as slave.
> 7 - People are disappearing in a forest.
> 8 - The King of the Goblins mounts a Cerberus.
> 9 - Goblins are using blood magic.
> 10 - Goblins allied with the Orcs.

So I need ideas for this adventure. What I know is that the Goblins are fleeing their lands and are desperate with something, they start restoring some fort because they feel safer there and they want to stay there for a while since they are stockpilling food.

What could be this menace to the Goblins? What could you guys suggest to this adventure?
>>
>>52350230
I'm not the one that put Planescape in the OP, anon.
>>
>>52350143
Kill yourself.
>>
>>52350158
To be fair, it's quite possible the Nameless One was a woman. It's hard to tell under all that scar tissue.
>>
>>52350144

Rick's a piece of shit.
>>
>>52350240
>What could be this menace to the Goblins? What could you guys suggest to this adventure?
> 6 - The Goblins have a Dragon as slave.

Have the false rumors be half wrong, they aren't keeping a dragon as a slave, a dragon has run them out, or the orcs are using blood magic, by collecting and sacrificing goblins and using their blood to turn them into demonic zombie thralls, etc.
>>
>>52350108
Got a question for a fellow player in my campaign.

He rolled a nat 1 when using a throwing bomb. Is that a miss, or would he blow himself up? I know we're kinda mixed on crit failures here, but i'd like to know what you think.
>>
I've made a mistake, of including hags in a situation they don't really make sense, though the players have asked them for help without knowing (IC anyway) that they are hags,

The players are leading a rebellion, and one of them encountered 3 women in a hut while hiding out in the forest. Having revealed at least some basic magic abilities, the player asked for help in their cause, which they agreed to do but for a to-be-agreed on price.

What would hags want in such a situation? What would they do to help the players should they give what they want? Should I just mess with player expectations and just have them act like hags in disguise but actually be telling the truth and just be a group of women who live in the forest? I'm a new ass DM and I'm unsure.
>>
>>52350301
I hope he has a good day
>>
>>52350240
if you make 6-10 partial truths, like they have a slave kobold or a pseudodragon who just hangs out and lets them pretend that they've captured it in exchange for free food. The cerberus is really just two felt dog heads sewn on to the harness of a worg, the goblins are using "blood magic" but it's really just them trying to be tricky, the orc is really just one stupid dude named Grodd that made friends with them
>>
>>52350313
Fumbles do not exist in 5e. Stop using them.
>>
>>52350313
technically, it's just a miss. Nat 1's, by the book, are auto failures (for attacks and saving throws), but they are NOT "critical failures"
>>
>>52350335
Saving throws are not automatically failures on nat 1s. That is a 3.5e rule only.
>>
File: 1367601115699.jpg (210KB, 432x779px) Image search: [Google]
1367601115699.jpg
210KB, 432x779px
Sup /tg/,
I'm the DM for my group and we are doing Out of the Abyss. My party of evil lunatics decided that running from the Drow is for goblins, so they're ambushing them.
At level 3.

Any ideas on how to make that a feasible but hard encounter without cheesing it? I'm giving some leeway for their creativity - the Sorceress is quite fond of Lolth and living, sapient sacrifices - but it's still quite the stretch. Help, please?
>>
File: Chris Brandt.jpg (92KB, 450x590px) Image search: [Google]
Chris Brandt.jpg
92KB, 450x590px
SCAN ANON
I PETITION THEE
HOW FAR ALONG ARE YOU
>>
>>52350301
And yet he made all the 5etools on 5egmegaanon.github.io, because guess what he's the Megaanon.
>>
>>52350357
I'm on page 97, taking a break to eat dinner. It's still gonna be a while.
>>
>>52350313
Technically just a miss, but if your group enjoys critical fumbles, there's nothing wrong with using them. You'll just get some autistic fun police on tg complaining about a group they aren't in if you admit to doing it later.

My group rolls for stats and enjoys it.
>>
>>52350364
Thanks man. Keep being awesome
>>
>>52350361

Sure, but Rick's still a piece of shit.
>>
>>52350306
I liked the Orc part, would be fun.

>>52350324
Cool ideas.

But what would they be affraid of?
>>
>>52350375
Stop injecting your personal drama into an anonymous message board.
>>
>>52350375
can confirm
plays a tabaxi
>>
>>52350375
Who are you again? C0re? jeb? maybe Homu?
>>
>>52350386
pretty sure it's just shitposting my man
>>
>>52350341
...huh, looks like you're right. But in my defense, good luck ever making a save with a natural 1.
>>
>>52350364
97 out of how many? Not impatient, just curious.
>>
>>52350419
248. After they're scanned they need to be rotated, cropped, OCRed, and optimized.
>>
>>52350412
If you could make the save on a natural 1, then you shouldn't really roll after all.
>>
>>52350398

OFFICIAL /5e/ DISCORD SERVER POWER RANKINGS

Best Boy Tier: Homu
Who-gives-a-fuck Tier: Everyone else but Rick and Lyn
Piece-of-shit Tier: Rick
Why-are-you-still-allowed-in-the-server Tier: Lyn Doodle
>>
>>52350375
Gotta love when the discord bleeds out of containment.
>>
>>52350515
Since he owns it, he probably thinks its pretty good.
>>52350501
hello homu.
>>
>>52350501
And people are wondering why discord link is no longer in the OP.
>>
File: 25483377cd5683eb70e76870f83a881c.jpg (248KB, 800x1266px) Image search: [Google]
25483377cd5683eb70e76870f83a881c.jpg
248KB, 800x1266px
>>52350501
who homu here
>>
>>52350501
you forgot to add c0re to "Autistic Homebrew Pusher Tier"
>>
>>52350545
It's because you're an autistic asshole, it's just good-natured ribbing of the 5egmegaanon, chill the fuck out.
>>
>>52350570
If you like your identities and discord so much, fuck off to reddit. They like that shit there. This is an anonymous message board.
>>
>>52350570
Your kind are the reason we don't put that autistic shit in the OP. Keep your bullshit in the containment Discord like you're supposed to.
>>
>>52350605
>>52350607
This. When in Rome, do like romans do.
>>
>>52350138
Care to share some examples? This isn't the first time I've heard that suggestion.

The Skill Challenges or whatever they were called seemed kind of cool. And giving minion-type enemies 1hp each during big boss fights (if level-appropriate) seems like a great way to cut down on bookkeeping and keep the focus on the boss.
>>
File: original.jpg.32.jpg (102KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg.32.jpg
102KB, 450x600px
Thanks to a kind anon, Beyond Damage Dice is now in the Mega under Third Party -> Kobold Press.
>>
File: Jeb.jpg (178KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Jeb.jpg
178KB, 1920x1080px
>>52350501
Ignore Jeb posts, report Jeb posters.
>>
>>52350368
>Rolling for stats
GET OUT

>Critical fumbles
If you're sensible, they're good.
>>
>>52350605
>>52350607
>>52350629
Fourthing this, have no objection to the discord existing, but all the personal interplay should stay there. When the inevitable drama happens, let it be contained to those dark discordant spaces yeah?
>>
>>52350108
Anon on the other thread looked into the site's code and found PSTEE, so it's just another Infinity Engine remaster.
>>
>>52350605
And we're all anonymous. It's just mild shitposting, if you ignored it, there wouldn't be an issue.
>>52350607
Your kind are the reason that all the good tripfags and drawfags and writefags have left the board, you can't deal with anyone having an identity so you drive out those who actually contribute.
>>52350629
>>52350669
I do, notice I don't have a tripcode, in fact, I'm not even on the discord.
>>
File: 1489896030714.jpg (14KB, 343x343px) Image search: [Google]
1489896030714.jpg
14KB, 343x343px
>Tales of the Yawning Portal getting scanned ahead of schedule
>Planescape countdown
>Unearthed Arcana coming up soon

LADS
>>
>>52350669

The inevitable drama happened already. The catalyst is this guy who pretends to be some cutesy, ditzy girl named Lyn Doodle.
Everything wrong with the server can stem back to him.
>>
>>52350669
A fair compromise would be "if you think a non-anonymous group chat within an anonymous group chat is a good idea, remove yourself from the board."
>>
>>52350698
>all the good tripfags
None? You mean none, right?

If you're so upset, fucking leave with your "Good tripfags."
>>
File: 1486361469619.jpg (541KB, 804x1758px) Image search: [Google]
1486361469619.jpg
541KB, 804x1758px
Stop feeding them (you)s while playing the blame game.
>>
>>52350702
RIGGGGGGHTTT?!
Feels good
>>
>>52350639
Yeah, skill challenges are great, but misunderstood. They're just a framework for making a non combat encounter (or even a combat encounter with some finagling) more interesting than "I roll persuade, get a 16, is that high enough DM?", or "I roll to attack, get a 16, is that high enough DM?" I use them extensively in my 5e games and it makes it more fun for me and my players.

Another good idea is looking at the abilities defined in the classes for inspiration on custom effects for magic items or monsters.

Finally, I like porting over a tag based system to 5e, which helps me fairly resolve confusing niche effects.
>>
>>52350345
Hold no punches, have the Drow scout ahead using beasts, like trained spiders. Just keep the foes coming, and each wave is tougher than the last.

Start with an easy xp encounter, but make it clear that more stuff is on the way. Then a medium, then a hard, then a deadly. If they survive, they deserve it. If they flee, they are smart. If they die, so be it.
>>
File: Mizhena.jpg (85KB, 914x497px) Image search: [Google]
Mizhena.jpg
85KB, 914x497px
>>52350702
>Planescape countdown
Anon, I have bad news for you. It will just be Planescape: Enhanced Edition.
Remember the previous time they did the enhanced edition? It was great! Can't wait to see more!
>>
>>52350704
>>52350707
Drama is inevitable even with anonymity
>>52350718
I'm not upset, just been here long enough to know why some of the best contributers on this board left, and people like you are the reason why.
>>52350722
I will, now.
>>
Tales of Yawning Portal got scanned ahead of schedule?

Was it in another thread today, or just on the way?
>>
>>52350746
That was entirely new content and isn't that a fucking elf anyway?
>>
Oh joy, I see we're in the full blown cancer stage of a general with a discord. If you've ever seen a /vg/ thread for an MMO, you know what's going on.

Going forward, filter the names they drop so you aren't tempted to feed the (you)s and encourage their shitty behavior.
>>
>>52350739
>Yeah, skill challenges are great, but misunderstood.
What are skill challenges? I've heard them mentioned a bunch but never really explained in depth.
>>
Any tips for a first time DM who's thinking about prepping and doing a one-off session in relatively short notice, who's played a few times? What are some common pitfalls?
>>
>>52350698
>Tripfags and drawfags and writefags
Aren't we just here to discuss 5e? I'm not sure any of those three are necessary for the lifecycle of this general, compared to something like a vg or co general.
>>
>>52350746
Ok, serious talk.
Why the bitching?
All I've seen is this img and I've been told you don't actually need to speak to that character.
What else are you bitching about?
>>
>>52350752
>Drama is inevitable even with anonymity
please explain how many grudges you hold with anonymous posters. can't wait to mock you
>>
>>52350764

The piece of shit owner of the 5eg server is scanning it.
>>
how do i build accelerator with Mystic

so far im doing his vector reversal field with inertial armor

talents are light step, mind slam, and mystic hand for general vector manipulation of things

>building an anime character in dnd
>>
>>52350778
Basically when something makes a skill challenge its you make a check, they make a check, whoever gets higher succeeds. IE pulling someone off something, they make acrobatics, you make athletics. You win, you yank em down, they win they dodge and stay up
>>
Back on track,

https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/charactersheets

Will it be good? Is it pointless in this day and age? Can it be anywhere near as bad as the 4E character sheets they sold?
>>
>>52350784
Some people bitched about the patches not being complete or fast enough, or they didn't like how they up-rezzed or they thought the uprez job was sloppy. Others didn't like the price point.
>>
>>52350812
People buy character sheets? Why would you ever do that?
>>
>>52350773
Here's your (you).
>>52350782
Tangentially, they are related many people got character art from them, and I'm sure people used writefags to rate and edit their character backstories.
>>52350786
I don't hold grudges with anonymous, I am anonymous. Drama, doesn't require a grudge, as you're proving, right now.
>>
>>52350803
So, they're literally just skill contests?

That really doesn't sound much more interesting than there being two people rolling and the fact that modifiers matter even less then because it's even more swingy.

In any case there shouldn't be any scripted 'here, you must roll X in this skill to proceed', but instead it should simply be a puzzle or something that requires players to think and if they say 'Okay, I want to try climbing' they can attempt a climb roll, or they can attempt a roll to do this or that, or they can do something that doesn't even need a roll.
>>
>>52350144

I care about both, I love planescape: torment and if its a better resolution enhanced edition like their previous work and NOT like dragonspear or whatever it was Ill surely pick it up.

But Yawning portal anon would get a handy from me, hes tops blooby.
>>
>>52350812
>buying character sheets
>buying character sheets for 10 USD

y tho

a sheet of paper and a pencil would be 20c
>>
>>52350812
>Buying character sheets
Uh... Okay, I guess. If you're this lazy.
>>
>>52350836
this isn't drama, this is me actively trying to figure out why you haven't fucked off to reddit for your reputation, upvotes and post karma
>>
>>52350812

> what is a printer
>>
>>52350784
Because the EE was basically a worse version of the original game. It looked worse on a good chunk of PCs, loaded worse, had lots of original content that was of a far worse quality than the original, and just to add some toppings, had politically controversial content to boot.
>>
>>52350778
Ignore >>52350803, he's incorrect and probably not understanding the context of your post.

A skill challenge is a multiple skill check encounter. The players are never supposed to know they are in a skill challenge. The way it works is this: You set some goal the players have to meet (typically a number of successes), before they fail a number of times. You then present them with a problem:

You're traveling through the jungle, when your guide collapses.

The players come up with some solution. They might make a medecine check in this situation. Roll the dice. On a failure or success, mark that down in your notes.

Regardless, present them with a new problem, that makes sense in the context of how the last problem was resolved or not resolved. For example, if the players were successful on their medecine check, they might know that the guide was bitten by a poisonous bug, and they need to find the antidote. If they failed, maybe the guide starts siezing up and foaming at the mouth.

They try to solve whatever you come up with.

Repeat until the players have either met the failure or success condition of the challenge. Come up with some nifty consequences or rewards.

I work this framework into everything these days: social encounters, stealth missions, I've even subbed out combat when appropriate for it. It's pretty good, and it does things more interesting than just rolling a single dice.

Also, you should generall pick the scenarios such that a wide variety of skills are possible to solve them, so your party members can get a roughly equal amount of time playing in them.

>>52350812
It's gonna be shit.
>>
>>52350158
That wasn't an "Enhanced Edition" thing, that was an expansion pack. The original campaign's not modified.
If you're going to bother feigning outrage the least you can do is understand what it is you're actually griping about.
>>
>>52350803

You're thinking of contests, >>52350639 is talking about 4E skill challenges.

There's a bit more to it, but basically you have to roll X successes before Y failures. What skill you use depends on what the character is doing. e.g. if a boat is pushing through some rapids, one character might make a Survival check to find the safest course, another might make a Strength check to hold the rudder, another might make an Intimidation check to keep the crew working.

Most of the time this sort of thing develops naturally through how ability checks work (especially in 5E), but sometimes it's nice to have a mechanical risk/reward system as long as you make the players aware of it. Your Arcana skill isn't going to do shit in these rapids.
>>
>>52350863
Because as much as this board and website is in decline, content wise, it's infinitely better than reddit has ever been, I've looked at some of the what do you call them? subreddits? and for every single fucking post that contributes you get thirty that are banned and 400 that are absolutely useless, here it's like a 1 to 1 ratio maybe at worst 1 to 5, on a bad day when /pol/ gets out.
>>
>>52350364
You continue to do god's work anon. you're official This Guy and I'd gladly game with you.
>>
Still seeking Volo's Guide digital maps
>>
>>52350921
So, out of curiosity, were you on the side of the discord cucked by the tranny, or on the side of the discord white knighting the tranny becayse they're totally cool with fucking a girl (male)?
>>
File: confused jew.jpg (126KB, 915x905px) Image search: [Google]
confused jew.jpg
126KB, 915x905px
>>52350812
you can get a variety of PDFs for char sheets from their site for free....

I might understand if it was for game shops and it came bulk to save on printer ink or something but its just like what? 4 sheets?

how dumb does WOTC think people are?
>>
>>52350501
Man every one knows the real bottom tier is Cammy. Doesn't stop blogging about their personal life and being fucking tumblr incarnate.
>>
>>52350812
Biggest draw will probably be the folder that contains them. If you can get it alongside something else with shipping, $10 probably ain't bad.
>>
>>52350960
>Something some intern probably threw together on break
As long as, like, 3 dumb assholes waste money on it it'll be a profit.
>>
>>52350974
But there is already a character sheet folder, its Rage of Demons themed

And of course you could always buy a simple plastic sheet folder for 30c
>>
I'm doing a one off, any fun gimmick campaign ideas? I plan to make the characters all lvl 10 or so.
>>
>>52350886
>>52350889
Skill challenges are useful to throw in here and there. Maybe as a way of solving a puzzle or to shorten and simplify something like chasing down fleeing enemies.

>>52350887
To split hairs a little, the original game was actually modified a bit with the inclusion of a few new characters (nothing major), as well as introducing the BG2 classes into BG1.
>>
>>52350946
Neither, I joined the discord after that shit, and only for the Extra campaign assets they have that we don't here and occasionally, a discussion in the off-topic channels, in fact when I'm on which is rarely, I spend most of my time in the GURPS discord, despite that some their policies grate on my nerves.
>>
>>52350812
It's just a character folio, and the price is in-line with what a branded character folio would cost in other systems. Just calling it "Character Sheets" was probably a mistake, though. It makes it look like more of a waste than a folio already is.
>>
>>52349142
>>52349107
what the fuck are you on about
>>
>>52351013
>he plays GURPS
Now I understand why you're like this.
>>
>>52350960
I doubt it'll be as bad as the 4E ones, which literally were just 4 sheets:

http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Character-Record-Sheets/dp/0786948531/
>>
File: 1462477225093.jpg (28KB, 350x335px) Image search: [Google]
1462477225093.jpg
28KB, 350x335px
>>52351013
>GURPS
>>
>>52350972

All of the active posters in the 5eg server are bottom-tier, with c0re and Lyn as the worst of them.
>>
>>52351043
No, I would like to try it out both as a GM and player, it's flexibility intrigues me, nut being a forever DM, with D&D players, i haven't had a chance yet.
>>
>>52351013
>some of their policies
>GURPS
pfffffffft this level of fag shit is unbelievable
>>
>>52351084
I'm surprised to find someone who likes 5e and wants to try GURPS.
Not even memeing 3.5 is more what you're looking for if you want there to be rules about fucking everything.
>>
>>52351084
>a have no username, but i must blog
>>
How many fucking squares does Alchemist Fire target
>>
>>52351143
4, 2x2.
>>
File: 1437414735636.jpg (31KB, 448x419px) Image search: [Google]
1437414735636.jpg
31KB, 448x419px
>>52350262
>it's quite possible the Nameless One was a woman. It's hard to tell under all that scar tissue.
>>
>>52351143
4 (box) or 5 (cross).
>>
>>52351124
No, it's really not. I looked at 5e first because my friends and some family wanted to play D&D and I'm the only one focused enough to DM, and then I ran across GURPSgen on here an looked through the books, and it interested me, that's all.
>>52351130
Someone asked, I answered.
>>
File: cam.jpg (263KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
cam.jpg
263KB, 960x960px
>>52350972
>>
>>52351175
This is really fiddling my inner Disgaea fag.
>>
>>52350144

I'm running a sesh tomorrow, and I'm naming my d20 after this annon
>>
>>52351167
To be honest, when I first saw the ad in Dragon Magazine, I figured that face belonged to a hag, not the PC.
>>
>>52351167
>>52351290
German man, German woman, what's the difference really?
>>
>>52350158
It continues to amuse me how some people keep on bitching about that from the expansion instead of the actual problems it had.
>>
>>52350108
Do the Anthropomorphic mice in the DMG count as a race playable in Adventurer's League?
>>
>>52350315
pls
>>
>>52351419
Nope. Though I have had ratfolk replace halflings in my homebrew world because of that suggestion.
>>
>>52350315
Have them ask for their firstborn girl in exchange for assassin work.

Hags can look like any humanoid, turn invisible and mimic others, so they're pretty good assassins, so have them kill one of the generals or leaders, then come back and demand either one of their first born girls, or a woman/women from the rebellion to turn into one of their own. If they object, then have the hags turn that assassination tech on them.
>>
>>52351279
If an area of effect covers half a square, it affects that square.

So, you can make a cross shape.

Actually, no, technically you just barely fail to make half a square and thus can't make a cross shape, but really you should be able to.
>>
Why are people in this thread pretending like Enhanced Edition didn't literally break the original campaign with its new classes and rebalancing?
>>
>>52351512
Because nobody plays those games for combat.
>>
>>52351527
A lot of people did, hence why they made Icewind Dale.
>>
>>52351423

Hags would do it as long as they get a chance to gain something, whether it's a personal item or just to exploit someone.

I'd have them help the group until they drop some secret that would help the hags turn on them. Volo's has a big section on hags.
>>
>>52351512
We're not. Stop swiping your phone and read
>>
>>52351542
That was a long time ago, anon.
>>
>>52351601
remember the good old days of diereloaddiereloaddiereloaddiereloaddiereloaddiereloaddiereloaddiereloaddiereloaddiereload?
>>
>>52351645
The first time I discovered quick save I started liking the Infinity Engine games a lot more.
>>
>>52351660
Yeah no shit.
>>
Can anyone give me a lesson in Necromancer 101?

I heard that I shouldn't have so many skeletons because it will slow the game down, but one casting of animate dead (4 skeletons?) is good enough?

Do skeletons have proficiency in medium armor and heavy crossbow? Is it better to give them 2 short swords and have them dual wield?
>>
File: 1467078291586.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1467078291586.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
I need a primer on playing a non-rebel drow priestess.
How do I into drow culture?
>>
>>52350262
uh the central question is WHAT CAN CHANGE THE NATURE OF A MAN
not WHAT CAN CHANGE THE NATURE OF A WOMAN
checkmate
>>
>>52351746
Give the old supplements Menzoberranzan and Drow of the Underdark a look.
>>
>>52351746
Go to /pol/ or r/mensrights and ask them what feminism is about and what a feminist society would look like.

That's Drow culture.
>>
>>52351702
It's true that too many skelemans will righteously bone the action economy, so try to keep them low. You use skelemans for damage, so keep them using shortbows, or light crossbows if you can afford them. As for proficiency with medium armor, I'd say no, but it's up to your DM. Same with heavy crossbows. Keep them out of harms way, if you want meat shields use zombies.
>>
>>52351746
Drow > Non-Drow

Drow Women > Drow Men

Power > Everything
>>
>>52351746
Fird, you need to understand that drow society makes absolutely no sense.
>>
>>52351702

Yeah, I'd definitely force you to play Swarm groups if you'd clog my shit up with skellies
>>
>>52351746
As others have said. If you ever are faced with a moral dilemma, start a thread on /pol/ and use the first answer you're given.
>>
File: necromancer do a confuse.png (764KB, 843x597px) Image search: [Google]
necromancer do a confuse.png
764KB, 843x597px
>>52351702
>give the local gang new and nice looking leather armor
>when you get into a fight with them just animate it
>do as you please to the poor poor bastards
>>
>>52351702
Honestly, you shouldn't play a Necromancer, the rules aren't well developed enough to accommodate them.

We've been expecting a Book of Vile Darkness for a while now to flesh them out.
>>
>>52351945
>a book about absolute, objective evil that says making skellingtons and zombies is bad
Yeah, that wouldn't go over well with the babies here.
>>
>>52351790
Also everyone is an paranoid asshole.
>>
Why don't you want to waste your hard earned money on character sheets /5eg/
>>
>>52352035
I would rather waste that hard earned money on new books.
>>
>>52351962
I blame secularism for this.
>>
>>52351746
Picture how a radical feminist envisions the Patriarchy, now swap the gender
>>
>>52352063
>tfw obnoxious atheist
>religion is the part of FR I enjoy most
>only play religious Fighters and Clerics
>zero problem with objective morality settings
now what, kiddy-diddling godbotherer
>>
>>52350108
Alright /5eg/.
For foraging in the Underdark, should I have people do a DC 15 survival check, or a DC 20?
I know the Underdark is a strange, alien, semi-hospitable place, but people still live down there.
>>
>>52352035
>paying for character sheets
Why?
>>
>>52352035
Cause you can print them?
>>
>>52352094
same.
>tfw your god can't manifest in front of you like they used to
>>
>>52351385
One takes Ahmed cock in the vagina and the other the anus
>>
>>52352095
Disadvantage on 15 > 20
>>
>>52352095
Could keep it at 15 but give surface dwellers disadvantage because they're completely unfamiliar with the environment. Natives just have the roll.

Also the DC could vary depending on the part of the underdark.
>>
>>52350784
That's literally it. There was a trans person in it so that means the game is bad.
>>
>>52352133
>>52352141
Ah, that makes sense.
Thanks.
>>
How do gods work in "most" (ie:FR since it seems, for better or worse, to be the "default" setting of 5e)?

I made a character who worships a long forgotten god with no worshippers, and thus next to no power with them about to fade away into nonexistence, but do gods even work like that or do they not give a shit about that kind of thing and exist regardless?
>>
>>52351788
Light crossbow would definately work though.
>>
>>52350887
They added some new characters in, but they were arguably better written than the original characters, although being better written than, say, Xar and Monteron (probably spelled their names wrong) is not hard.
>>
>>52352095
Depends, I'd say it'd be a difficult check, 15-20 like you suggested, but those accommodated to living there, such as Underdark rangers or druids, should be able to manage for an average party fairly well.
>>
>>52352094
>tfw secretly wish I was ultra-religious irl
You know one thing I never understood is why players ignore that animated undead are ultimately uncontrollable, and will certainly without fail eventually escape and murder everything in site? nigga that ain't even playing with fire, its like playing with sentient mustard gas.
>>
>>52352153
isn't this the game with a belt of genderswapping

and didn't one of this isometric D&D RPGs have an actual party member who can get hit by this? i think it was a wizard or something

like this is a setting with futa gods
who cares
>>
>>52351798
trying to learn not to clog up the game. are there any good suggestion?
>>
>>52351512
Who cares? BG combat was always bad. At least now I'm not murdered by kobolds while trying to grab a health potion from my inventory.
>>52351542
Icewind dale was fucking awful.
>>
alright I'm starting my first Serious Campaign next week and haven't come up with a character yet

party is bard, monk, barbarian, rogue, so I'm thinking of rolling a full caster.

what are my options? I usually don't like roleplaying faith classes but I'm open to suggestions
>>
File: Bait_Fail.jpg (55KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
Bait_Fail.jpg
55KB, 625x626px
>>52352180
>>
>>52352220
>Icewind dale was fucking awful.
Arrest that man.
>>
>>52352190
That's asking people to be reasonable anon.

Can't have that.
>>
>>52352228
Moon Druid or Mystic
>>
>>52352153
>>52352250

That's a lie and you know it.

It runs worse, loads longer, and reduced the quality of the game's graphics. The trans character was just there so all the other complaints would be put into the "they hate LGBT" box, like with Mass Effect 3 5 years ago.
>>
>>52352189
Speaking as someone who was a "necromancy is neutral" fellow back in 3e, I really love the way 5e does that. It provides a good reason for why necromancy is evil even if you are saving babies with it. You're creating evil creatures out of sheer arrogance, and the instant you get sloppy, they'll kill you and go around eating the babies you saved.
>>52352190
Yeah, bg2 had one that hits Edwin, the evil mage.
The difference is people see this as a leftist plot because it isn't a joke.
>>
>>52352095
There are rules for foraging and fungi you can find in the underdark in OotA
>>
>>52352283
>like with Mass Effect 3 5 years ago.

Playing Andromeda now and it's either much, much worse or way better. Still can't tell.
>>
>>52352283
Then why post an image of the trans character when talking about how bad the game is instead of mentioning any of the actual problems?
Not saying the port didn't have those problems but you're delusional if you think people don't get triggered by the existence of trans characters.
>>
>>52352298
>the existence of queers is a liberal plot
>>
Let's be real. If you were walking around Forgotten Realms and having random conversations with people, the guy who thinks he should have been born a woman or the gal who thinks she should have been born a man wouldn't even crack the Top 50 Weirdest Motherfucker you encounter.
>>
>>52352283
That argument might have teeth if it weren't for the fact the vast majority of shit people bitched was SJWs ruining the game and tumblr "pushing their agenda" instead of those valid criticisms you did mention.
>>
>>52352234
<very moron voice> Hey, you know what we should do? Make a game that's all combat, using the engine from Planescape Torment</very moron voice>
Seriously, what idiot thought this was a good idea? Combat was the worst part of every infinity engine game, and Icewind Dale has literally nothing else going for it.
>>52352283
The load times i'll give you, but I actually kinda liked the graphics. They were trying to do some weird shit with the infinity engine, and it looked nice. Said weird shit presumably explains the load times
>>
>>52352261

mystic sounds too taxing on the DM for just a single character. I'll look into moon druid
>>
>>52352310
>>52352331
Yeah, people were upset about that, no shit, it's a pretty fucking big issue that's polarizing to most people one way or the other.

That doesn't change the fact that it's an objectively inferior product in terms of how it runs, looks and plays.
>>
>tfw actually like infinity engine combat
I hate you guys.
>>
>>52352233
Are you seriously going to tell me the serial killer hobbit with 3 lines was well written? Like, shit. The writing in BG1 is fucking awful.
>>
Give me some fun/intresting character concepts. I don't care about class or race
The stupider, the better, but not so stupid that they are just unplayable
>>
>>52352100
>not supporting your local game store by buying overpriced character sheets made by wizards
>>
File: birthrightcombat.gif (3MB, 278x300px) Image search: [Google]
birthrightcombat.gif
3MB, 278x300px
>>52352359
the Doom II engine used in Birthright was better
>>
>>52352359
Yeah I liked it as well. It was fun in it's own way.

>>52352367
I have a feeling people are remembering BG1 with an expanded companion writing mod. With a good one most characters were pretty good.
>>
>>52352359
I'm kinda curious as to how you enjoy it. Like, throwing fireballs at offscreen creatures is literally the most boring thing.
Like, remember that big fucking megadungeon in BG2? The optimal way to the big demon fight at the end was to cast spells at him from atop the stars cuz the pathfinding is too broken for the demon to walk up a flight of stairs.
>>
>>52350746
My only question here...

Can you give them the girdle of masculinity/femininity?
>>
>>52352380
magical girl
contemporary student transported to fantasy land
depressed youth
>>
>>52352415
Nope. Honestly if they put that in and made it a side quest to get it to them then it would've gotten good reception.
>>
>>52352394
Wait, there was a D&D game that used the engine from DOOM? Holy shit what?
>>52352398
I suppose that could be it. I usually don't use mods other than the mandatory "fix all the broken shit because the devs were idiots" ones.
>>
>>52352394
>Doom II engine used in Birthright
Holy shit what.
>>
>>52352436
Nah, SJWs would have said that that was an attempt to "cure" transgenderism instead of accepting it
>>
File: link.png (11KB, 408x436px) Image search: [Google]
link.png
11KB, 408x436px
>>52350108

>people unironically believe that Link isn't Champion/Thief
>>
>>52352438
Birthright used Doom II's engine for both the large-scale army battles and the adventure / dungeon-crawling bits. There was also the main territory map but that was a separate thing.
>>
>>52352343
Icewind Dale was the best D&D game.
>>
Crowdsourcing some opinions. I have a druid in the group who wants to do an insect theme, spiders and flies instead of bears and wolves et cetera. I'm letting him fluff poison spray as a wave of stinging and biting insects and letting it do piercing damage because I fucked up and the first adventure is zombies and because poison spray is kinda crummy, but my question is actually about wildshape.

I have no problem calling a wolf a giant centipede or a bear a swarm of scarabs or whatever, but he wants to do singular, small insects - literal regular spiders and flies for stealth and infiltration. I'm thinking I just handle that as a 1hp form and it should be good, but I figured I'd run it out here and see how folks react to it.
>>
>>52352415
I once convinced someone not to play a trans character by telling them about that item.
>>52352450
SJWs don't complain when trans people get sex changing surgeries.
>>
>>52352380
A suit of evil and intelligent armor possessing a pally.
Two hobbits in a cloak pretending to be one human. (The lower hobbit is the squire you get for free with some backgrounds, the upper hobbit is an diviner with the lucky feat for extreme rerolling.)
>>52352415
Nah. They're the heal dispenser, and their one line of flavor just happened to be that.
>>
>>52352451
When was the last time you saw Link crit or jump good? He's a Battlemaster.
>has a variety of special moves like headsplitters and spin attacks
>can size up enemies for weaknesses and sometimes view their HP
>>
>>52352450
By that standard, wouldn't reassignment surgery count as trying to "cure it"?

Just without the aid of motherfuckin' magic to do it properly.
>>
File: aqua.jpg (10KB, 202x249px) Image search: [Google]
aqua.jpg
10KB, 202x249px
>>52352380
Try playing a dumb fallen goddess made to be bully?
>>
>>52352380
An Abyssal Tiefling Warlock that gets their random spells from their pact God.

Their Pact God happens to be a God for a completely different species. A fucking Deer God. Your character would think they're speaking beyond their comprehension, but it's just speaking Deer. It's a Seeker Pact, so your Tiefling thinks it needs to find a way to commune with it's Pact God in full to ascend.
>>
>>52352451
He's a battlemaster.
>>
>>52352467
That's because its progressive (and doesn't actually help). Now go try and talk to one about psychotherapy or medicinal treatments to cure gender dysphoria and watch how quick you get called a nazi
>>
>>52352478
You know, I recall Guild Wars 2 had a trans side character who was a Mesmer.

Used her powers to change her appearance and that was that.
>>
>>52352471
Well, kinda disappointing because that would have been an easy and flavourful quest.

Ah well.
>>
File: 1386159155308.jpg (69KB, 470x803px) Image search: [Google]
1386159155308.jpg
69KB, 470x803px
New adventurer idea.

>be rando peasant
>mud farming is boring as fuck
>only thing to do is hang around the tavern and go to the yearly Pumpkin Ball
>hear stories from adventurers at local tavern
>hear about all of their quests and the shit they went through
>hear them talk about cursed magic items
>hear them talk about all the shit wizards can do
>steal some idiot adventurer's gear
>strike while they are passed out drunk, hopefully in a honeypot trap I set up
>use the gear to become an adventurer
>seek out wizards or the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity
>be a pre-op adventurer

It works great, because if you succeed you are already far from home.
So, even in a medieval society you can create a new persona to fit your gender. All it takes is
>risking death
>abandoning your friends and family
>angering an adventurer when you steal the gear

And that is why I will agree to attack the Giants, oh Duke of Geoff. Because I am desperate.

>Mention none of this to the Cleric.
>>
>>52352474
In the new game he's gotten better at jumping and crits sort of exist.
>>
>>52352394
I have so many issues with this animation that I love it.

>>52352438
Mods I use are Fix shit mod, better companions and one that gives them all better portraits. Makes BG1 good instead of decent.

>>52352450
Then every alt-right, /pol/ or whatever the fuck they call themselves would've supported it. They're the kind of who will leave hundreds of negative reviews just because they don't like something.

>>52352451
Thief is definite and I agree with Champion. Others will disagree though.
>>
>>52352450
What? No. Trans folk IRL get hormone treatments and shit, this would be the same but far more effective.
>>52352458
Hot damn I need to try that.
>>52352462
What's it like to be wrong? I wouldn't know.
>>
>>52352451
>>52352474
>>52352488

You're all wrong- he's a bard. Half the country is left wanting his battle-hardened body in breath of the wild
>>
>>52352499
Those therapies are shat on because they don't work and largely involve ruining peoples' lives in the hopes that they'll kill themselves.
>>
First time playing 5e, thinking of making a monk. Are they as terrible as they were in 3.5?
>>
>>52352513
>I need to try that
https://youtu.be/SOxI2UETBts?t=345
>>
>>52352531
If you don't minmax and your DM doesn't give up extra stat points, yes.
>>
>>52352531
You're fine as long as you don't go 4 elements.
4 elements is playable, but it isn't very good
>>
>>52352519
He's an Eldritch Knight, he never sings or really uses music as anything more than something to move magic blocks, in previous zeldas, he is a level 20 Eldritch Knight easily.
>>
>>52352519
>hur hur only Bards / other Cha classes are allowed to be physically attractive
neck yaself

>>52352558
>utterly reliant on people giving him magical items to do anything remotely magical
>Eldritch Knight
no
>>
>>52352519
>elf
>hard at all
>>
>>52352499
I know exactly which study you're talking about, which didn't find that SRS was useless for trans people. Quite the contrary. The bit about it that people use as some justification against SRS is that the suicide rate among trans people is still high post-op, which isn't surprising at all, since gender dysphoria often comes alongside other mental illnesses like anxiety and suicide.
>>
>>52352531
Monk is great. Open Palm can shut down single targets for days and shadow is just plain fun and quite versatile

4 elements is shit. A Mystic concentrating on wu jian is infinitely better
>>
>>52352566
No he's had magic many times independent of magic items, Eldritch Knight battlemaster multiclass, is as far as I'd go towards bard.
>>52352567
HE IS NOT AN ELF!
>>
>>52351746
Female drow above you in the hierarchy are just those you haven't yet stabbed in the back. Meanwhile those below you are those that have yet to try and stab you in the back.
>>
>>52352499
It helps them not kill themselves, that helps.

It's about harm reduction, managing their condition, since like a lot of mental health issues it can't really be cured.

Think of crossdressing and hormone therapy as the methadone of gender dysphoria. It's an attempt to keep them alive, stable, and relatively happy.

Especially as using psychotherapy to attempt to cure it doesn't produce satisfactory results.
>>
>>52352499
A: That's because torturing people in an attempt to convince them they're a different gender works about as well as torturing folks to get information out of them.
B: In what world would changing someone's body not be seen as "hormone therapy + surgery, but better"
>>
File: 1488260568963.png (121KB, 220x270px) Image search: [Google]
1488260568963.png
121KB, 220x270px
WOW SURE IS FUCKING /PFG/ IN HERE
>>
>>52352574
Did you (You) the wrong person there buddy?

Honestly I don't know what study you're talking about, but if you're still calling gender dysphoria a "mental illness" then frankly I doubt you're on the up and up in terms of current psychological health.

I do know that some gay conversion therapies have suicide rates as high as 50% though. Really not the sort of thing you touch with a ten-foot pole unless your explicit goal is exterminating people.
>>
>>52352531
Monks other than 4 elements are great. Open Palm actually gets one of the only save or die left in the game. (Plus, the other guy takes absurd damage when they save.)
>>
>>52352585
The subclass choice is the primary build choice in 5e, right? There seem to be fewer ways to customize a character than in 3.5
>>
File: Corellon Larethian.png (562KB, 557x893px) Image search: [Google]
Corellon Larethian.png
562KB, 557x893px
>>52352647
I blame 1e Elves.
>>
File: 1405414110677.jpg (13KB, 395x395px) Image search: [Google]
1405414110677.jpg
13KB, 395x395px
>>52352615
>HE IS NOT AN ELF!
he is though
>>
>>52352647
You do realize a large portion of 5e's playerbase came from pathshit, right?
>>
>>52352677
No, he is a Hylian, Humans who have pointy ears, that is all.
>>
>>52352667
Mental illness and Mental disorders have been used as synonyms for so long that it's still a kind of second nature to use the former. I wouldn't worry about someone using it.
>>
>>52352675
>elves are literally a violent transgender's AIDS blood spilled in a catfight with a radical feminist
>>
>>52352615
Isn't that because he's thief though? He can use magic item but no magic himself.
>>
>>52352709
So...

a Half-Elf?
>>
>>52352709
But there are numerous hundred+ year old NPCs in Breath of the Wild.
>>
File: Elf Racism.jpg (156KB, 762x915px) Image search: [Google]
Elf Racism.jpg
156KB, 762x915px
>>52352675
Elves are a bunch of evil, racist, sexists.
>>
>>52352759
And they're all surprised that you aren't dead because Hylians don't live that long
>>
Megaanon here, my boyfriend is here so I'll be delayed uploading the scan for a couple more hours.
>>
>>52352751
He has had magic independent of his items, many times, throughout the history of the games, he is an Eldritch knight, possibly multiclassed with battlemaster.
>>52352755
No a Human.
>>52352759
He was frozen magically, wasn't he?
>>52352778
I wonder how Zelda did it.
>>
>>52352778
But those NPCs are Hylian too.
>>
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/14/thief-spell-scroll-and-use-magic-device/

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/11/07/does-the-thief-rogues-use-magic-device-cover-the-use-of-spell-scrolls/

I'm confused... so can thief use spell scroll or not..?
>>
>>52352768
>elves are feminists

I can't believe I haven't noticed this before
>>
Does the thread really need to derail like this every time someone mentions statting Link?
Personally I've seen it like 5 times, don't know about you guys.
>>
>>52352791
Nope, except Zelda.
>>
>>52352788
I haven't beaten the game yet, maybe I'll find out. Please no spoilerino

>>52352791
Which ones? The only people I've met that are that old have been elderly Zora
>>
File: Ch5Pg186.png (82KB, 270x325px) Image search: [Google]
Ch5Pg186.png
82KB, 270x325px
>>52352484
This.
>>
>>52352788
He can use any kind of magic item / artifact, even those that doesn't really intend for him. EK can't do that.
>>
>>52352808
I don't even own it yet, so no spoilers either.
>>
File: typ progress.png (2MB, 839x929px) Image search: [Google]
typ progress.png
2MB, 839x929px
>>52352782
>implying I have time for a relationship

I just scanned page 162, have the first 100 pages cropped, rotated, and OCRed (scan is too big to do in a single path, I need to split it up and recombine the optimized bits later).
>>
>>52352805
This thread has been off the fucking rails since >>52350143 , you retard. And honestly, Link Stats are the better derailment.
>>
>>52352806
>>52352808
Ah, no, I'm retarded, I was confusing Sheikah and Hylians, cuz Impa was Hylian in a few iterations.
>>
>>52352819
They are all intended for him, He has always had the Triforce of Courage, He has inherent magic.
>>
>>52352792
The more recent tweet says yes, so I would go with that one. Also why the fuck would it not work.
>>
>>52352805
This is my first time, it's good reading during loading screens

>>52352819
In Wind Waker you literally have a magic bar that tracks the magic you spend to use magic items
>>
>>52352826
Which book is it?
>>
I feel like for a single-class Link build, Ranger would fit best. Some magic, weapon training, medium armor. Hunter Ranger even gets a "spin attack" option.
>>
>>52352885
Not to mention all the foraging he does these days.
>>
>>52352877
The Yawning Portal
>>
>>52352859
That magic bar was there in many of the earlier games you plebian.
>>52352885
That might fit too, but link has most often been a literal knight, if somewhat wild, he's the gold standard for a Hylian Knight.
>>
>>52352921
Oath of the Ancients maybe?

Or Oath of the Triforce
>>
File: image.png (386KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
386KB, 750x1334px
>>52352921
I was going to say "in past games" to cover my bases, but I decided that mentioning the greatest Zelda game of all time other than BotW would be fine.
>>
>>52352792
I let anyone use spell scrolls with just a spellcasting check
>>
>>52352840
Rod of seasons
Harp of ages
Phantom Sword / Phantom Sphere
>>
>>52352952
>He prefers sailing around an empty ocean for hours on end to god-tier Majora's Mask.
I like your style anon.
>>
>>52352952
You're confused The greatest zelda is the one BotW was made to emulate, The Legend Of Zelda, period plan and simple.
>>52352944
I like it, Oath of the Triforce.
>>52352974
And he's the hero of prophecy the only man these artifacts will work for as intended.
>>
>>52352970
That's definitely not what the spell scroll was intend for in 5e. And you would break the game with Artificer Wizard around.

go back to 3.pf and your UMD
>>
>>52353005
Plain*
>>
>>52353005
Although given it's an actual Oath, maybe it should be Oath of the Hiyah!
>>
>>52353012
Just try and stop me
>>
>>52353028
Or Oath of the Princess,
>>
>>52353046
An oath of the crown one might even call it.
>>
>>52352574
> is that the suicide rate among trans people is still high post-op

It actually goes up in the case of FtM. That's a pretty good sign that more sensible alternatives should be explored, like helping mentally ill people stop believing in ridiculous fantasies, rather than trying to make their entire existence a lie by hoping to force their reality to match their fantasy.
>>
>>52352952
>likes wind waker
superior taste detected
>>
I'm seeing that there's a cave passage that runs from Hundelstone to Ironmaster.

My players are interested in going to Ironmaster, and I think it'd be fun to encounter some Ropers and maybe some Umber Hulks, but I don't really know why those monsters would be there or why the towns wouldn't have taken care of the problem as is.
>>
File: 1435156759058.jpg (4KB, 229x255px) Image search: [Google]
1435156759058.jpg
4KB, 229x255px
>>52353012
Pathfinder is an objectively superior game, anon. There's a reason it beat WotC in 2009, and why Starfinder is going to knock 5e out of being anything but the generic fantasy simulator.
>>
Can a mount from the Paladin's "find steed" spell make an attack while being ridden?

It's intelligent, completely obeys your commands, and you can order it about with 0 effort through telepathy
>>
>>52353058
Nah he strikes me as more one who follows the ideal or spirit of a law rather than the letter. He'd be a refluffed Oath of Devotion, or perhaps Ancients, because he puts good and doing whats right first always.
>>
Hey TG, my mate and I are building two Mystics for an upcoming game that are going to be essentially Australian surfer-bros. Mine is a Soul Knife and his is an Avatar, what are your suggestions on what Disciplines to pick for those?

Starting at Level 3, mine V.Human, his standard.
>>
>>52353071
Which adventure?
>>
>>52353135
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
>>
>>52353104
Logic says yes, balance says no.
Take your pick.
>>
>>52353135
Stop having fun and get angry about Zelda and transgender.
>>
>>52353058
That's more about the crown as a metonym for the realm. Civilization and all that.
>>
>>52353062
>Goes up in FtM

That's what happens when you replace your sorta-functioning genitals with a stitched-on tube of bologna and donated patches of skin found on your elbow but stretched.
>>
File: 1372452234617.jpg (129KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1372452234617.jpg
129KB, 1440x810px
>still no purely player supplement
this is some extra hardcore bullshit
>>
>>52350315
Hags can be in basically any situation, honestly. They go great with everything.
>>
So am I the only person who thinks it's a problem when PC's can do more damage in one round then they can take?

The party is level 5 and have a Ranger with 44HP from a +2 Con and taking average health, and he's a bit of a dick in character. We play a game where we're quite laid back and his ideas are more often entertaining then annoying.

There's also been some light pvp between the Death Cleric and other players when they annoy him. He will often waste a spellslot to Inflict Wounds them then heal them later.

They got into an in character argument and he used a level 3 Inflict Wounds with Touch of Death and dropped the ranger to -6HP easily though. I get that it requires a 3rd level spell and a use of Channel Divinity but being able to do enough damage to drop an equal leveled d10 class in one round feels wrong.
>>
>>52353062
The study that supposedly said that is widely misrepresented and the person who wrote it feels quite the opposite.

Also there's no reason to pretend that you actually care about the well-being of trans people, no one here is going to buy that.
>>
>>52353135
Make sure you are always tied to something. My uncle in Tasmania accidentally forgot to and fell right into the sky.
>>
>>52352797
>x race is y culture from RL

wow how witty my darfs are russians my thri kreen are north koreans
>>
>>52353143
SKT during chapter 3 where they're just wandering around. They're going to Ironmaster to ask the dwarves to help rebuild Bryn Shander.
>>
>>52353229
>gnomes are jews

HOLY PENIS WHAT A SCOOP
>>
>>52350315
you're doing fine anon, i think that's actually kinda interesting. volo's says hags make new hags out of children. perhaps they request they kidnap a child. if they decline, have the hags disappear and harass them while they're in the area, trying to kill them when they have the chance.
>>
>>52353216
>So am I the only person who thinks it's a problem when PC's can do more damage in one round then they can take?

Not at all, that's a good thing. Keeps the game fast paced and exciting.

>pvp stuff

Absolutely nothing in your post has anything to do with balance issues, the class, or DND, just pure PvP dickery.
>>
>>52353062
>>52353225
Glad to see thinly veiled disgust masked as concern hasn't gone out of style.

Oh wait, the other thing, fuck people that pull that shit.
>>
>>52352826
I appreciate you
>>
>>52353246
>>52350315
making players feed babies to hags is probably beyond the pale, requiring them to give them an obscure hag item (something that stitches people's shadows into garments that change shape with the wielder or other oddball stuff like that) they find on a quest is much better
>>
>>52353261
Wait which of those two guys are you accusing of that? It might work for both.
>>
>>52353248
Actually you have a point. I guess I rather games that are deadly instead of a punch of wussy blows. I was just surprised he could because I'd heard 5e was pretty safe with hits. Not like other systems.
>>
>>52353216
I mostly hate how npcs are just intended to have bloated up because of this.

The DMG pretty much states that enemies, even supposedly equal levels, should have more HP. It makes no logical sense from neither a fluff nor a crunch perspective.

It really highlights the imbalance the game suffers from.
>>
>>52353216
Then make it so that players take half damage from other players if you don't want PvP to be rocket tag.

PvP is terribly imbalanced. This isn't a PvP game.
>>
>>52353062
Good therapists are very rare and valuable commodities, anon, and they can only take on a few patients in one area at a time. The resources for your fix do not exist.

Developing biotechnology to permit something better than the body-destroying hackjobs we have today might be a more viable alternative. One team could help thousands, compared to therapists helping a few dozen.
>>
>that feel when your previous session ends with you bending the laws of time and space, only for everything to be fucked over by your team's autistic Warlock the next session

Anyone that remembers that ghost-lady story of mine want a continuation?
>>
>>52353317
It's more of mucking around. Happens a lot when they're not doing anything important and can get away with using up resources.
>>
>>52353330
Mystra did it, not your warlock friend, she hates niggers who fuck with time.
>>
>>52353330
Do a quick sum-up, then do tell.
>>
>>52353071
>>52353242

What page is this cave passage from Hundelstone to Ironmaster in SKT?

In addition, the Hundelstone description states that some of the tunnels descend to the Underdark. Monsters are going to po out of there every so often no matter what you do. Umber Hulks can also burrow, yo
>>
I am bored and want to run a new game. I am a storyteller DM with a world already in mind. I normally do sandbox-style games, though I've recently found that my players lack the initiative to really do anything as a party.

What kinds of ideas should I try to run? What would be a neat way to get my party to be more decisive and do things as a party in a sandbox campaign?
>>
>>52353289
5e has some pretty brutal combat, its just offensive CR and defensive CR are averaged together to produce final CR, which leads to very confusing results, like a level 9 vampire mage is CR 15 but its mostly about defensive CR for a more relaxed boss battle while a level 18 archmage is CR 12 and a level 17 warlock of the fiend is CR 7, both of which are utterly vicious foes that need to be killed FAST.

Personally I think they should list offensive CR and defensive CR so DMs can get a better look at how to rate encounters but oh well.

>>52353303

Dear Nigger,

The mage, drow mage, and archmage all have the same HP a PC of the same class and level would probably have, while the warlocks have the same or less. You are free to style your monsters however you like, with more or less offensive and defensive CR.
>>
>>52353330
I don't know the first part but go for it
>>
>>52353350
Also Ironmaster description says that only dwarves are allowed inside the city by law

So unless the party are all dwarves hmm
>>
>>52352035
coz i make my own in illustrator and lately i've been a dm anyway
>>
Human, Lizardfolk or Cutebold for a Cleric?
>>
>>52353387
They could also cast alterself, disguise self, seeming, or similar
>>
File: 1450072683304.jpg (129KB, 726x1139px) Image search: [Google]
1450072683304.jpg
129KB, 726x1139px
>>52352189
same i'd be christian in a heartbeat but i can't actually believe in christianity so instead i'm just weirdly obsessed with christian shit and imagery and friends ask why i have bible gateway bookmarked on my phone when they ask if they an google something on it.
and as such all of the campagins i dm have a lot to do with religion.
>>
Do alchemist's fire work with fast hand? Some people said throwing it is an attack, not use an object.

Can you double dip on Oil + Alchemist's fire in the same round as thief?
>>
>>52352509
wut
>>
>>52353005
>You're confused The greatest zelda is the one BotW was made to emulate, The Legend Of Zelda, period plan and simple.
This anon speaks the truth.
>>
>>52353454
Yes, alchemist's fire, holy water, acid, and the like all work with Fast Hands. It's only magic items (like potions of healing) that don't work with it. Alchemist's fire including an attack doesn't exclude it, it's still Use an Object because it specifies it takes an action.
>>
Anon's got me thinking, would it break anything if I asked my DM to let me sneak attack with Alchemists Fire? I just thought that it could be kinda cool to get some more use out of items like that at higher levels.

Obviously I'd need to take the Tavern Brawler feat with it because they're improvised attacks.
>>
What's you're opinion on miniature play and if you use them what's you're transport method
>>
>>52353345
>>52353346
>>52353379
Long Story:
https://boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/52227436/#q52228336

Short Story: DM 3 of 5 players in reverse-magic zone, sets up careful objective, proceeds to fuck up said objective for crit 1 lulz, I reverse his bullshit and halt his self-destruct sequence. Ghost Lady was supposed to be taken away with the crit fail, I stopped it with a reverse haste (Slow)

So game continues, the two people (Warlock and Ranger) that were absent from last time decide to wake up and venture to the same area we're at (an estate). After wasting time as the three of us are fighting the BBEG the DM dropped on us, they finally come to our aid. What they see is an angry old guy swinging 4 chains around, a very angry zombie, our fighter bleeding from every orifice, the fucking sorcerer (me) resorting to melee daggers, and a near-dead woman on the ground. The Barbarian that was with us poofed out of existence (absent).

So the Ranger uses his head right. Jumps into combat, shoots the revanant twice. Noice.

What does the Great Warlock Autisimo do? First he picks up this jar (linked to her life), shoots her twice with firebolts, then reacts to the now-warm jar in his pocket and throws it on the ground, shattering her in the process. The woman I spent all my work trying to rescue. The woman that I was risking my life to help, all because those two assholes forgot to come to our session last week.

When I talked to him (in character) later, he said something about his Old One telling him she was dangerous. Now, he knew about the reverse magic shit. He knew that telepathy wasn't working properly. But he took it to heart.

I don't even sit next to him at the table anymore
>>
>>52352826
Doing Helm's work anon.
>>
Is there any good way that's RAW, to do a Necro Druid? Want to eventually work towards Druid lichdom and would like zombies and disease spells.
>>
File: 1485543505108.png (235KB, 998x1139px) Image search: [Google]
1485543505108.png
235KB, 998x1139px
>>52353430
The choice is obvious.
>>
>>52353430
Lizardfolk.
>>
OotA, chapter 9, Leaving Mantol-Derith

There's a Winged Kobold in Amarith Malkins zoo, thats pretty fucked up, they can talk and are intelligent

>>52353708
Necromancy and especially lichdom seems like it runs completely counter to a druids philosophy though
>>
>>52353753
That's what I thought. With the new fluff is it going to be too magical realm if I have him slowly turn into a female because the party's all male?

Because that's my Magical Realm.

>>52353768
Too late my friend, sorry.
>>
>>52353775
In our attempts to avoid tropes we have strayed too far from God's light.
>>
>>52353708

Druids definitely can't become liches, so...
>>
>>52353787
>Too late my friend, sorry.
i cri
>>
>>52353430

Don't know if as racially autistic, Lizardfolk would be fedoracore atheistic, or fedoracore theistic, considering gods exist
>>
>>52353787
Don't come on too strong with it and you should be fine. There's not much "change" to have happen considering they're also canonically very gender ambiguous.

I want to play a Kobold that just isn't sure which it is.
>>
>>52353775
>>52353792
It's more of general disease, undeath and plant abilities. We're in a custom setting and there's a whole bunch of these guys. I think the DM's just ripping off the golgari from mtg with it.
>>
I am joining into a level 10 campaign with some friends who have been playing about a year. Are there any multi class options that would be worth building by being able to skip the first 9 levels?
>>
>>52353792
Well now technically anyone can become a lich if they are force fed the lichdom potion
>>
>>52353809
most lizardfolk gods are gods of survival and nature. there was this one that i read rarely gave spells or visions to his worshippers so there were no clerics. so basically he had the god equivalent of autism
>>
>>52353829

What role are you playing?
>>
>>52353775
It' a Drow, Duregar and Zhentarim town. Aka an evil place.
>>52353812
It is actually impossible for non Kobolds to tell male and female kobolds apart unless they know were to check and their biology.
>>
>>52353812
That's honestly a cute idea. I'll keep it in mind next time I'm in an ERP game.

>>52353809
I think the Lizardfolk god's an ass. The first one was too lazy to do god stuff and the new one literally doesn't care and just says "Try to like survive and stuff, I'm gonna nap".
>>
>>52353853
Ah but the zoo is run by a Good shield dwarf
>>
>>52353857
>next time I'm in an ERP game
Part of me is a little jealous that you make it sound like a regular thing.

>>52353853
Just shove your hand up in their slit and poke around for a dick.
>>
>>52353843
The party is Fighter Fighter Barbarian Monk. I can fill just about any role, even if it means 5 melee characters.
>>
>>52353881
As mentioned unless you know their biology.
>>
>>52353881
>Part of me is a little jealous that you make it sound like a regular thing.

It's great having a Boyfriend and some online guys who are into that. They also play Ironclaw.
>>
>>52352768
Where from?
>>
>>52353885
That Sorlock option is always available. I guess 3 in Warlock and 6 in Sorcerer.

Or you can prepare a Nuclear Druid.
>>
>>52353552
It's the old school method. I love it because minature modeling is my hobby. But it will limit creativity a bit in a fight.
>>
>>52353885

Looks like you're missing some magic there
>>
>>52353830
There's genuinely no reason or precedent to think that drinking a lich potion -> you become a lich. You need to make a potion, a phylactery, and be a level 20 wizard.

>>52353827
That's fine.
>>
>>52353970
Lich in PotA happened that way
>>
>>52353350
It's in the Forgotten Realms wiki that there's some connecting caves between Hundelstone and Ironmaster.

As for the anti-dwarf sentiment, they're being accompanied by Augrek of Bryn Shander, who I said had a cousin in Ironmaster. So that shouldn't be THAT bad.
>>
Can you use true polymorph to turn into a lich?

If it worked you would need to replace all of your abilities with the lich's, including the spell list though.
>>
Can I ask when using the monster manual or Kobold F. Club when giving exp to players do i use total exp per player or total exp / number of players

I want to run sunless as a one-sho
>>
So what does the Deepstalkers level 3, "when
the DM determines if you can hide from a creature, that creature gains no benefit from its darkvision" mean?

I was thinking of playing a Goblin Deepstalker who was a bounty hunter in the Underdark and I'm wondering if it'll let me hide in any dim or dark light against pretty much anything.
>>
>>52353970
You don't need to be a 20'th level Wizard 17th is minimum. As you need to know imprisonment
>>52353994
The Lich in PotA had already made his phylactery and was a powerful Wizard. He just had no taken the potion yet.

If you don't fufil the requirements the potion just kills you.
>>
>>52353994
It notes that he prepared for lichdom, and due to him having 20th level wizard spells and a phylactery it looks like he's not an exception in any way.
>>
>>52354016

>can a level 20 at most person polymorph into a CR 21 person

Nope
>>
>>52354016
No Lichs are too strong to be true polymorphed into.
>>
>>52354052
>>52354054
Thought it was CR 19 for some reason.
>>
So my DM is letting me play mystic for our campaign starting at level 5, however, I am having difficulty finding inspiration from a picture or story for the character. Anyone have some sweet as fuck mystic ideas or pics?
>>
>>52354068
Mantle of Awe focused Mystic with high INT and CHA, that acts as a kind of manipulator. You could either play them as a Fake Messiah type character, trying to start a following for some kind of cult, or a Simpsons Monorail type guy, using their mind to manipulate the world into giving them what they want.
>>
>>52354026
You can attempt to hide if you can't be seen or the DM/a feature (like halfling or wood elf).

Darkvision allows you to see through darkness like dim light, which means you can't try to hide. Negating the dsrjvision means you can essentially always try to hide in darkness, unless blind or true sight is involved.
>>
>>52354068
You could easily play a kind of Avatar or "bender" character with one. Note, not the Avatar Mystic but the show.

If you know wakfu I think the main character would make for a pretty good nomad type character.

Stranger things girl? She's basically fuck you up with mind 101.

Play a dude that just wants to blow shit up with his mind. Like that one guy from that movie Accepted. Be an awakened mystic and use your bonus discipline to have mastery of fire so you can set things on fire with your thoughts.

I'm just listing things from media. Don't just copy them, but use for inspiration.
>>
So think having my Lizardfolk barbarian take a 1 level dip in fighter is worth it?
>>
>>52354186
>not taking a 2 level dip into fighter
>>
>>52354196
Yeah senpai, if you're gonna dip fighter you're really fucking it up by not taking at least a two level dip.
>>
>>52354052
Isn't there a way to increase your CR by using Lair or something?
>>
File: typ progress 2.png (1MB, 1078x1018px) Image search: [Google]
typ progress 2.png
1MB, 1078x1018px
Scan complete. Now to rotate, crop, OCR, and optimize the whole thing.
>>
>>52354270
Anon I would have your babies.
>>
>>52354270
You are moradin in anon form
>>
>>52354270
I want you to know we all truly appreciate your work my man.
>>
>>52354038
Fair enough. Note that you don't need to be 20th, just be bale to cast 9th spells therefore a 17th Wiz could do it.

Notably, Lich from MM is only 18th Wizard
>>
anon is love

anon is life
>>
>>52354270
And then comes bookmarking, now thats a chore
>>
>>52354373
My bad.

Interesting that vampire works out similar to a +6 CR template (roughly) and lich to about +10 CR.
>>
>>52354270
If you ever need a slave to blow you under your desk while you do this wonderful work. Just ask.
>>
>>52354394
Sorry, meant vampire is +9 (based off mage) and lich is +9 (based off archmage). Huh, neat
>>
So how hard is it to run an interesting game for one person? I only have one person to play with and I don't mind DMing for him at all, everyone knows the best heroes are the 1 man band.

Just wondering how I balance encounters and loot for what will most of the time be one guy and a tag along or two depending on what he's doing.
>>
>>52354521
Balance encounters by giving him a way out of every fight he can't win. Either defeating all the enemies by using an environmental hazard or an escape route he can't be followed through. Give him a "fate point" to prevent unconsciousness once per game, so that he can run like a weenie if luck is against him.

Use http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder to build fights suitable to one player, although it won't always pan out to be even, since he will be weak to teamwork from enemies.
>>
>>52354521
You will wanna use much weaker enemies than normal, especially at first as you gauge what he's capable of. Orc, goblin, skeleton, and zombie commoners, for example.
>>
>>52354585
So I imagine only a handful of enemies at a time. Go tall not wide and all that

Also I don't want to do a DMPC because I know I'd be bad at it, but what about an NPC here or there? I'm planning on running him through a nerfed Sunless Citadel because it was my first adventure and throwing either a Cleirc, Thief or Warlock somewhere early for him to rescue and tag along. I was thinking Cleric or Undying Warlock for spare the dying or a Thief for bonus action Healers Kit.
>>
>>52354650
DMPC, in my opinion, are characters the DM makes that travel with the party to make decisions that drive the plot in the direction they want. As long as you make the characters passive or have them split up when it doesn't make sense for them to travel, feel free to give the player backup for fights. Hell, give him a squad of knights as long as they all disappear before the player can really exploit them.
>>
So explain Polymorph to me, and why its not seen as OP even though it appears as such.
>>
>>52354711
When the new form drops to 0 HP, the character is back to whatever their health was before being transformed.

So turn the fighter into a Giant Ape or T-Rex or whatever.
>>
>>52354711
It's definitely a huge power boost, but requires concentration, has a hard power cap in 5e so far (CR 9 T-rex), and is better as a buff of other party members over being a self-buff due to concentration.
>>
>>52354734
>>52354745
But a fucking T-rex seems really stronk. Would a good DM end up saying "No Dinosaurs or giant animals. Also, you lose all mental reasoning except that of the animal when you morph"?
>>
>>52354710
That's the general plan. Someone who has something to gain in exchange for helping.

Another idea is to let him gestalt, but he's never played before so that might be a bit too much.
>>
>>52354768
>But a fucking T-rex seems really stronk.
Sure, but it's a concentration spell. Just shoot the wizard and blam, it's gone.
>>
>>52354768

Nothing wrong with not having dinos in your campaigns.

Though on here I have seriously had people argue that you can choose to polymorph into something that does not exist and that you don't know about (since its nonexistent).
>>
File: 1478154568369.jpg (23KB, 418x381px) Image search: [Google]
1478154568369.jpg
23KB, 418x381px
>>52354779
>imblyin you can break my concentration

Eat shit nerd
>>
>>52354768
Think of it this way. The Fighter's now gone, the Wizards used high level spellslot for any level where the T-rex is that good and he now can't concentrate on other stuff.

It's good, maybe even great but not OP.
>>
>>52354791
Nah, I limit people to what's in the books. They get more options when more MM come out.
>>
Anyone have a good roleplaying reason to build and level up their character the way they did? Or you just do it to minmax and "balance" the team.
>>
>>52354711
Because as a GWM or Sharpshooter martial I'd rather be hasted for 3 attacks at 2d6+14.
>>
>>52354768
The mental reasoning thing is what gets me, since it explicitly says that you just keep general personality and alignment. If my players tried it and the polymorphed character wanted to do something that wasn't what I think a beast with 2 int and their alignment/personality would do, I might say nope and NPC them for the turn. Same shit as if they become a vampire or lycanthrope and don't want to RP the changes.
>>
>>52354847
I upgrade my character in the way that I'd think they'd choose to train. That being said, everyone tries to get the best bang for their buck, and it's stupid to choose clearly under-powered options for your character unless you have an idea to make them not shit.
>>
How should I go about mechanically making a character who tempts fate and gambles without just being a prick who walks into every tavern throwing his gold away at cards
>>
>>52350639
https://youtu.be/QoELQ7px9ws
>>
>>52354887
You just described Mat from WoT; there's no other way to play a character like that.
>>
>>52354847
I got my character to +13 initiative by accident once.

He was a Rogue who wanted to be a pirate, so he went swashbuckler. Then he took the Alert feat after training with his mentor about how to never be caught off guard. 4 + 4 + 5.
>>
Post your
>Top 3 favorite classes
and
>Your 3 least favorite classes

>Top 3
Warlock
Cleric
Mystic

>My least favorites
Fighter
Druid
Sorcerer
>>
>>52354871
I mean, I'd rather not take it. Ever. I don't like the thought of it, and the only real reason I would be doing it would be to protect allies with that juicy temp hp.

Then again, an invisibility can do the same thing, no? And they can be unconscious.
>>
>>52354847
Outside of 3e's clusterfuck of continual nonsense, I haven't seen many PCs without effortlessly logical reasons for the classes they choose, if ever, have you? For example, fighter and rogue are appropriate for all PCs, no question asked. Clerics can be pious or someone simply given power by a deity, even if they don't want it, and many settings bang you over the head with how you should have a patron deity. There are no "badly roleplayed" warlocks (in the sense of their class); they're people who made deals with a planar being for power, nothing more to it. All PCs are gonna want more power, that's simple. Ranger doesn't necessarily have anything behind it other than spending a lot of time in the outdoors and gaining favored enemies. Sorcerer also requires zero explanation.

The classes that generally require some sort of plausibility factor would be barbarian (I don't like "lel refluff as guy who gets angry"), wizard, druid, paladin, monk, and probably a few others I'm not thinking of.
>>
>>52354910
My top
>Spell-less Ranger
>Wizard
>Cleric

Bottom
>Druid
>Sorcerer
>Paladin
>>
>>52354910
Rogue
Wizard
Paladin

Druid
Sorcerer
Ranger
>>
>>52354910
>Top 3

Paladin
Druid
Wizard

>least favorite

Monk
Rogue
Fighter
>>
File: circle4[1].png (48KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
circle4[1].png
48KB, 1000x1000px
Anyone have art of a summoning circle that looks like an eye?
>>
>>52354958
Do you hate martials?
>>
>>52354847
The party was in the Underdark and level 3 when I came in so I played a Deepstalker. I was lured to the party by the Warlock's Fey patron and told to effectively travel with them because I could do more good for people that way.

Fast forward 4 in game years and I'm an angry Deepstalker/Knight who is only doing this shit because he's already locked in it by fate. We spent a while in a palace where I trained with Knights in horsemanship and stuff to win over the princesses heart. She's dead now, and my Greater favored enemy got changed to Dragons.

It's worked amazingly well mechanically because I can action surge in the first round to make 6 1d8+1d6+7 (11 against favored) against one big guy, or make 6 attacks and give everything disadvantage against everyone else.
>>
Question about the 5egmeganon tools/programming: I tried to add creatures to my own local copy of the tools but couldn't get it to work properly. Can anyone suggest a good place to start learning about .json files / whatever language tools like those are using?

My background: took a few years of sofware engineering in university (we focused on C) but I failed out due to WoW addiction and just general apathy towards life.
>>
Did they stat any named and famous characters in Tales?
>>
File: akagi.jpg (83KB, 1400x1052px) Image search: [Google]
akagi.jpg
83KB, 1400x1052px
>>52354904
Not quite what I was thinking
I meant to describe someone who is daredevil sociopath always willing to bet his life without regard for himself or friends.

And I meant it in a way that I could play without requiring my DM to have to pause and make a big deal about me needing to gamble.
>>
>>52354983
Apathy isn't an excuse, it's a condition. What causes your apathy, depression?
>>
>>52355018
I mean fuck that just sounds like a Rogue that doesn't disengage each round.
>>
>>52354910
>top
Fighter eldritch knight
Fighter battlemaster
Fighter champion
>less
Wizard
Rogue
The C
>>
>>52354974
I truly despise playing them, and I truly how greedy, egotistical, and better-than-thou mentality many martial players have ("look at me, I'm roughing it, tee hee, aren't I so badass being a normal dude in a magical world? btw GIEF BUFFS") but 3/4 of my group have selected martials, and they aren't the usual whining, cringing faggots that bitch about wizards on /tg/ all the time.
>>
>>52355018
Don't make mechanics out of it then; make it "a promise you made to someone who's now dead, to never flee and always charge forward, blind to the dangers of the world" or some shit.
>>
>>52354711
Because Disintegrate or Power Word kill kills u dead ding dong
>>52354910
>Favourite
>Mystic
>>
>>52355086
At level 7?
>>
>>52354711
Most people would rather get to be invisible and fight so they get advantage and foes get disadvantage, rather than shelving their CS and turning into a big fucking dinosaur that clogs up the entire map.
>>
>>52355032

Yes, bi-polar runs in my family.
>>
>>52354910

Top 3
Wizard
Fighter
Cleric

Bottom 3 (not gonna count UAs)
Ranger
Druid
Monk

I had to kinda stretch to put in Ranger. The fantasy of "be an animal, and also a stinky guy who hates cities" doesn't really appeal to me, so Druid and Ranger get lumped together a bit.

Monk just... I hate to say it, but the whole "eastern mysticism and punchy guy" thing just. It doesn't fit my perception of epic fantasy and it kinda repulses me.

I'd put Bard near the bottom too, even though 5e bards are amazing, I just don't see the appeal in being expected to be the charming funny guy all the time. I mean, you can play a more dour bard, but that's like playing a prissy fighter or a stupid-evil Paladin.
>>
>>52355135
Take them meds.
>>
>>52355091
CR9 Necromancer, Evoker has a 6th level slot
CR8 Diviner has 8th slot
Hag Covens have 6th slot
CR7 Mindflayer Extract Brain will do it too

Etc etc
>>
File: ezgif-2-196bdcd116.gif (129KB, 217x217px) Image search: [Google]
ezgif-2-196bdcd116.gif
129KB, 217x217px
As someone who has only played 3.5 and Pathfinder before, but has no strong loyalties either way, what can I expect from playing a few sessions of 5e? I've heard good and bad, but I'm interested in it all the same.
>>
File: 3.PF vs. 5e.pdf (40KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
3.PF vs. 5e.pdf
40KB, 1x1px
>>52355235
>>
>>52355235
Much simpler, more streamlined. Characters are going to be at least competent at their jobs.
>>
Do we have Yawning Portal yet?
>>
>>52355235
It's got a focus on smaller numbers, so don't expect huge bonuses unless you go munchkin and do some of the more broken multi-class choices.
>>
>>52355254
Scanner's getting it done right now. Should be very soon.
>>
>>52355235
Stick with PF or 3.5. 5e is the simple version of DnD. Condensed, but shallower. Streamlined in some ways, constrained in others. Each option does something, but there are far less options.
>>
>>52355254
see
>>52354270
>>
>>52355193

Not taking meds yet, but getting there. Doing alright: 31, no suicidal thoughts, progressing in career, but financially still struggling with many debts. Appreciate the concern

Still looking for suggestions about picking up programming skills again specifically to learn about working with databases(?) like the .json files in the 5egmeganon tools.
>>
>>52355268
>>52355257
I mean, I'm primarily into D&D for roleplaying and storytelling, less so being able to do 36d6+24 worth of fireball damage, or whatever.

Figure it's good for that at least?
>>
>>52355010
Obmi the first recurring villain in D&D history.
>>
>>52355235
I'm using my suggestion to instead counter this guy's
>>52355268
>>
>>52355287
Yes.

You can also use multiclassing for flavor/concept reasons without it absolutely butchering your competence like it does in 3.PF
>>
>>52355287
5e isn't inherently better at provoking roleplay, beyond having the background system force people to have a bit of character in their character sheet and helping along total newbies.
With the right DM, it can encourage more "out of the box" solutions or techniques; remember in 3.5 where you provoke attacks if you move anywhere in a creature's range or can only take several attacks if you don't also need to move? Fuck that noise, monk can drop a 4-hand hammer on shit after walking 40 feet. Since there are fewer instances of "Well, there's a similar ruling in page 53 of the third PHB that says a -2 malus is..." it can encourage people to try it on the fly. Of course, that is dependent on the DM, but shutting down situational tactics in a game so dreadfully simply to play in blank rooms is bad form.
>>
>>52355268
Don't give out such shit advice, we want more people in the hobby not less.

>>52355303
???
>>
>>52355235
5e's good if you want something with lighter character building than 3e and less fiddly bitz
>>
File: wood elf.jpg (220KB, 1280x1242px) Image search: [Google]
wood elf.jpg
220KB, 1280x1242px
So I'm about to start my first serious campaign of D&D after playing shits and giggles games with friends for a few years. Yes, I know what mindset I have to be in and I understand all of the basic etiquette that goes into playing a session with randys and all that jazz, but before we start we're doing a session 0, how should I go about this, I really want to find a group of regulars I can play with, especially after putting in tons of apps on roll20 and getting one response, so I'm really nervous about fucking this up.
>>
>>52355354
Whatever you do, don't stop bringing up your penis.

Especially if there are girls in the group. Make sure to impress everyone, man and woman alike, so that they'll vote to keep you on.
>>
>>52355235
I've played very little PF, started with 5e, but here's my take.

5e is far more intuitive. You can literally not understand the mechanics and dictate to someone who does then build and play a very competent character. Maybe not a Wizard or Sorcerer, but most classes.

Pathfinder has a higher skill ceiling and plays more like a video game conceptually. Players who know the system well will dominate those who don't. A new player will struggle building a character. There's more options, but most are so situational or outright bad that a guide is needed.
>>
>>52355337
As I said. The Dwarf Lord Obmi is the first recurring villain D&D ever had and he has stats in Tales of the Yawning Portal. Do you want more details on him?
>>
>>52354910
only including whats in the phb

>top 3
wizard
paladin
warlock

>least favorite
bard
barbarian
ranger
>>
File: original.png.131.png (1MB, 1013x662px) Image search: [Google]
original.png.131.png
1MB, 1013x662px
Tales from the Yawning Portal is now in the Mega. Enjoy.

Remember that if you like it and are able, buy a copy (preferably locally) to support your hobby.
>>
>>52355354
Elven hillbillies makes sense especially when one contemplates the fact that the flavor text of many kinds of elves is "they fuck off into the forest or a mountain range or cave where fucking nobody goes and don't like visitors and are culturally isolated as hell and are insanely uncomfortable with race mixing."
>>
>>52355434
Thanks a lot. My copy is already being shipped over to me.
>>
As DM how would you run a campaign for all martials?

Side note, do rogues count as martials?
>>
>>52355434
Man I want to read through it so bad, but I know our DM plans to run us through most of them so I can't.
>>
>>52355440
It'd be funny if an elf born and raised in a human city met a forest elf and immediately understood that their elvish was the equivalent of the accent hicks have.

Like "This guy probably makes elvish moonshine in a tub he found at the dump."
>>
>>52355469
Same as usual, and warn them they are probably going to spend most of their cash on wands of healing.
>>
>>52355235

I never knew I'd love rolling with advantage so much.
>>
>>52355434
Holy fuck that was quick, all that you do for us is much appreciated.
I'm waiting for it to be shipped to Australia.
>>
>>52355469
>do rogues count

As its not a hard and fast distinction I interpret "martial" to be a subjective consideration, so in one party "the martials" may be a fighter, rogue, and monk, and "the casters" an EK and an arcane trickster, while in another party, "the martials" may be a paladin and a ranger while "the casters" are a wizard and druid.

But the crux of this question

>As DM how would you run a campaign for all martials?

is "how would you run a campaign with probably no resurrection, teleports, commune with nature for 300' auto scouting into a dungeon, etc.?" And, well, the answer is that its not so hard, its probably easier than for a caster party. You probably don't wanna throw instant death effects at them, though.
>>
>>52355470
Silly anon, that's all the more reason to read through it!
>>
>>52355504
if your world has magic shops weere they can purchase fucking healing wands your world sucks js
>>
File: 1476713629096.jpg (77KB, 407x577px) Image search: [Google]
1476713629096.jpg
77KB, 407x577px
>>52355504
>Buying magic items
>Buying magic items EN MASSE
>Wand of Healing
>>
>>52355534
If you've got a party of martials and they can't get wands of healing, I hope someone splashes a level in cleric or they're going to be shoving poitions down their unconscious team member's throats or running away a lot, unless the DM only gives them combat situations where they'd have to be stupid to lose.
>>
> DM can't handle Enpowered Evocation Magic Missile

Why....?
>>
>>52355434
Fuck SKR has a hand in it. Fuck.
>>
>>52355560
> second wind
> short rest
> potion
> ranger or paladin
> healer feat
They got options.
>>
>>52354910

Top 3
Fighter
Barb
Rogue

Least Favorite
Monk
Bard
Paladin
>>
File: clapping snek.gif (686KB, 498x500px) Image search: [Google]
clapping snek.gif
686KB, 498x500px
>Producer: Stan!
Let's give it up for Stan!
>>
New
>>52355607
>>52355607
>>
>>52355517

Oh yeah...but I do recall getting quite a bit of satisfaction spending hours perfectly allocating my character's ranks in Pathfinder. In 5e I'm like "Leveled up! My proficiency bonus increased by +1...welp I guess that's taken care of."
>>
>>52351167
Well, to be fair, when you first see the Planescape logo, the 'Lady' of Pain looks pretty damn ambiguous herself.
>>
>>52355434

Praise
>>
>>52355523
I guess it's more err on the side of caution, and give them obstacles they can tackle with the sort of skills/traits that they have? Or should I intentionally throw things at them that they wouldn't really be able to deal with, to try and get them to think outside of the box?

>>52355504
Not that sort of campaign. Since it was their idea I want to make magic more aloof and unavailable to the common man.

Sort of early Black Company. Like only the villains have magic available, and even then it's a distant and spooky threat.
>>
>>52355434
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I am on mobile data for the next 8 hours

Thanks though brother
>>
>>52355663
Which class and level has only an increase to proficiency bonus and nothing else?
>>
>>52356105
Any ASI level, unless you take a feat.
>>
>>52356133
But thats ability score bonus not proficiency bonus
Thread posts: 487
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.