[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Using D&D 5e for Slayers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (112KB, 656x584px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112KB, 656x584px
Alright, I know that they did a d20 adaptation with a versatile but flawed magic system back on the heyday of the 3E/3.5 OGL glut, but how would one go about adapting D&D 5e to handle the magic and setting of Slayers now?

Mostly how does one handle the ridiculously powerful spells or adjust those which already exist?

And then there is starting crewtures, where there is sure to be fun.

What ideas do you fa/tg/uys and ca/tg/girls have?
>>
>>52344423
*statting creature
>>
Well, one thing that immediately springs to mind is taht part of of a Slayers conversion is the descriptions you apply to spellcasting. For example, it's really not that hard to apply the "vaporizing a bandit's camp" visuals from the first episode to a basic 5e fireball because it's actually doing 8d6 to begin with - that's a pretty hefty amount of damage, especially if you presume that most low-level NPCs in the setting have fairly low health.

Big part of a project like this is coming up with stats for the various spells. For example, Dragon Slave might be around a level 6 or 7 spell, whilst Ragna Blade is level 8-9 and Giga Slave is level 9 with HUGE drawbacks.

Races are a big deal, too. The D20 version made heavy use of templates. Perhaps a system of racial feats and race-enhancing prestige classes might work to convey the possiblities for half-breeds and chimeras?
>>
>>52345684
>>52345684
I could see that being a way to simulate things. Though I agree on the matter of templates proving tricky.

Rather, instead of using a template for Chimera, why not look to and adapt the playtest Revanant. Or have Tiefling represent Chimeras who were fused with Bras Demons
>>
>>52346418
In D20, "chimera" was used as an umbrella term. If you had more than one of the various half-whatsit templates (half-beastman, half-demon, half-dragon, half-golem and half-mazoku, off the top of my head), you were a chimera. Heck, even having just one template could make you a technical chimera, as half-golems and half-mazoku, at the least, only resulted from fusion experiments.
>>
>>52344423
>>Mostly how does one handle the ridiculously powerful spells or adjust those which already exist?
You do not do that, while Slayers does have its roots in a D&D campaign the manga/anim is a comedy and an over the top adventure. Almost every spell exist to be just a plot device for either comic relief purposes, story advancement with a sudden shock value. You will just have to do without those OP spells, or have them super restricted. But if you have them super restricted then you might as well not have them at all.
>>
File: meteor-swarm.png (305KB, 475x400px) Image search: [Google]
meteor-swarm.png
305KB, 475x400px
>>52346831
>>
>>52344423
Running Slayers as a 5e campaign works fine so long as Dragon Slave, Giga Slave, and Ragna Blade are kept out of the PC's hands. Every other spell that the various characters cast can pretty much slot into power levels akin to the typical 9 spell levels without too much trouble.

The power 3 on the other hand, are all intensely problematic, for sheer damage, scale of effect, and the whole 'backlash might destroy the universe' part of Giga Slave, which Lina can only cast in the first place because she has a special relationship with the Lord of Nightmares, and should be off limits to PC's anyway.

>>52348043
Still only an 80ft radius, anon. Lina casting Dragon Slave has wiped out whole towns, not exploded single city blocks.
>>
What if we express difficult larger spells like dragon slave as being possessed of longer casting time in combat and consuming multiple spell slots?
>>
>>52348290
Lina also has that "bucket magic" stuff, which is basically a spellpoint/mana pool that recovers slowly over a long period (not that fucking "time of the month" gag)

Her big spells feel more in twine with Wish of all things, with the crazy drawbacks it has.
>>
>>52348290
Lina's dragon slave is as powerful as it needs to be for comedic reasons. If there's comedy to be had, she'll destroy the whole towns, if there's a serious baddie ahead, she'll job and fail to scratch him.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.