[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Foundation Style Fantasy Game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: jKa6GLw6eP-6.png (17KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
jKa6GLw6eP-6.png
17KB, 300x250px
My friends asked if I was interested in running a game and after a couple days thinking I thought 'wouldn't it be neat to run a game where you play as a sort of fantasy SCP foundation?'

I'm thinking the party gets a mission from HQ saying 'we've got reports of some weird goings ons in some area' and they get dispatched to investigate and neutralize some kind of crazy shit. Cults, weird artifacts, unusual beasts shit like that.

Obviously theres the issue of differentiating these situations from normal fantasy tropes (a dragon raiding a town for example is not really a 'unique' phenomenon in a fantasy setting) so I kinda wanna brain storm some ideas for potential plot hooks and artifacts that are actually somewhat unique for a fairly standard fantasy world.

Some ideas I had:
>Investigating technology from different settings, a group of bandits have invented flint lock weapons, a necromancer is using undead to do basic computer sciencey stuff, some goblins have discovered how to use steam etc.

>temporal fuckery of some kind, non-euclidean dungeons, time warping effects, characters that can warp reality

>strange and powerful artifacts, some kind of magical ice-nine, weapons that possess their users, self replicating objects etc.

Is this a shit idea? Has anyone done similar stuff? Ideas etc. welcome.

If anyone cares I can drop some of the fluff for the 'SCP' analogue that the players will work for, I kinda wanna give it it's own identity so it's not just a clone, but it performs similar duties.
>>
A friend of mine ran a containment break styled game, ended up using the machine that refines things to get a sick-ass gun and a knife that heated its blade to extremely high temperatures, hot enough to slice right through concrete, steel, whathaveyou.

Game ended with a very criminal D-class escaping with an optical camo suit, as well as the gun and knife. Probably not the best ending as far as the local banks are concerned.
>>
Also there is an organization called uh... global occult... something or other? It functions like the SCP foundation but their goal is destruction of anomalous objects, not containment/study. You should look into the various groups in the SCP canon, though be aware that some of it is really stupid.
>>
>>52342812
yeah I'm mainly interested in the concept of 'some fucked up shit is happening, go figure out what it is, how it works, shut it the fuck down and bring it back to base'. so I have no desire to copypasta the entire SCP universe (because some of the stories are fucking self insert power trip garbage my lord)
>>
SCP is not good game material.
>>
>>52342849
Yeah, a lot of the old stuff is pure unfiltered cringe. The name "Dr. Bright" still makes me pull the "excalibur face."
>>
>>52342865
It's a good source of magical items and encounters but that's about it
>>
>>52342872
Not really. Everything either kills you, is useless beyond making players go "hey, that's neat", or both.
>>
>>52342952
>Everything either kills you or is useless or both
So you haven't even read the site beyond the most famous SCPs. Got it.
>>
>>52342542
Isn't that sort of like the conceit of that podcast The Adventure Zone? Like they work for some mysterious organization whose MO is to get ahold of various dangerous objects and prevent them from destroying the world.

Could work, I guess
>>
>>52343477
I went on the wiki and hit random. I got a 3d printer that yells at you in russian, prints little monsters that try to kill you, and eats you if you stick your hand in it. I think that's more than enough to prove you're full of shit.
>>
>>52344589
>I looked at one scp
ok
>>
File: fax.jpg (7KB, 207x253px) Image search: [Google]
fax.jpg
7KB, 207x253px
>>52342952
->scp is shit
>>
>>52342952
But, the entire purpose of it is containing things. So any of the "Kills you" set would be good fights, as they're clearly dangerous but have some way to beat them and lock them up.
>>
>>52344589
>the 3d printer
That thing would be great for an encounter, though. I'm pretty sure there's at least one instance of it printing a full-sized tiger. At the very least, in the fantasy version OP wants, you could have the antagonistic force get ahold of it and amplify its scale, feeding it blood sacrifices to keep it running at full capacity.

Can you imagine? Scale up its size a bit with magic and you have an evil army that has access to a nearly unlimited supply of hybrid monstrosities fueled by the blood sacrifices they make every time they raid a village.
>>
>>52342952
>Only kills
Yeah that toaster sure does hurt people.
Yeah that loud English bird really is deadly.
Wow that apocalypse prediction machine could kill us and only does us harm
>>
>>52342542
I think a nice way to run it is if you're dealing with usual weird fantasy shit, in say, regular old medieval europe.

A secret society that acts as a clean up crew for magical fantasy crap.

>Goblins don't exist, so sayeth the good book. No not that one the real one, with all the extra pages. Make sure no one in the vatican hears about this.

>A Dragon is tearing through the countryside of germany, and is trying to flee the land to avoid being exterminated.

>Some poet is consorting with ghosts to get a personal tour of hell. You need to stop Dante Allehgheri from doing something stupid.
>>
>>52342812
SCP's goal is also supposedly destruction if it's keter or euclid that's too dangerous if they lost containment.
>>
>>52348198
If the bird you're talking about is the bird I'm thinking of (CACK) then that bird is exceptionally deadly. It's just very friendly.
>>
I feel like these sessions would be boring as shit. Keter, listen to the DM describe the party dying in horrible and weird ways. Euclid, listen to the DM explaining why the spooky thing is spooky. Safe, listen to the DM describe some unusual garbage.

This basically seems like storytime: the tabletop. Just read some files off the wiki aloud.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.