[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gurpsgen/ GURPS general thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 278
Thread images: 43

File: GURPS GENERAL.jpg (8KB, 176x250px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS GENERAL.jpg
8KB, 176x250px
Why nobody posted new thread yet edition

Keeping with the theme of the previous threads ending:
What's your favourite way of gaining new skills and increasing existing ones?
>>
File: GURPS GENERAL.pdf (350KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS GENERAL.pdf
350KB, 1x1px
>>52342225
Well congratu-fucking-lations me...

Proper PDF
>>
>>52342225
>What's your favourite way of gaining new skills and increasing existing ones?
Spending points? Earned in play?
>>
>>52342225
Study with a teacher, so I can spend my earned points on more interesting shit.
>>
File: chimp_lighting_a_smoke.gif (848KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
chimp_lighting_a_smoke.gif
848KB, 500x400px
>>52342466

As a GM, I tend to prefer training, along with points as the main way of increasing skills. By this, I mean that in order to increase a skill, you have to have the points needed, and then train for as much time as is needed.

This prevents the PCs from becoming god-like beings in a matter of months, just because they've been on a non-stop adventure.
>>
So how do you guys handle making enemies, I have tried running GURPS several times before but always get bogged down in making enemies for the party to fight as it takes to long.
I am about to run a campaign about the colonization of Siberia with some supernatural elements so I can't avoid it now so any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>52344329
St, Dx, Wil, Per, and a handful of combat skills and advantages/disadvantages

An enemy should fit on an index card
>>
>>52344329
Just wing it. Your players can't see the stats. Just write them down as you go. Or, like what other anons here do, just give stats based on group. Like all mooks get 10s across the board. All bosses get 16s in everything.
>>
>>52344329

Aren't there templates in the book for how an enemy should be stated? And is isn't there another entry in How To Be A GURPs GM in the patebin about sample mooks?

Judging by your campaign, though, it seems like your enemies are of a unique and magical variety, and I can definitely see how that can be tricky. So, I have two points of advice:

Only jot down relevant stats, ie those pertaining to combat. Willpower is unlikely to come up in a fight, and if it does, it's okay to to up something sensible on the spot.

The second is to make a single character template in GCS, then switch up stats as needed.
>>
File: Monster Gen.pdf (118KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Monster Gen.pdf
118KB, 1x1px
>>52344329
There are a few resources out there that use a lens-stacking approach, and that might be the one that works best for you. The short version is that you take a basic racial template and add on a variety of lenses until it's enough of a threat. Wolf? Scary to a lone peasant. Wyrdfire Wolf of Slaughter? Now *that* is a threat worthy of seasoned adventurers.

Off the top of my mind, DF Monsters 1 has Monster Prefixes, Pyramid #3/76 has "Dire and Terrible Monsters," and pic related is something I use a lot and was ripped from the forums. Use one (or two or all three) and stack cool shit until you get something you like.
>>
File: Lars Kjærgaard.pdf (26KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Lars Kjærgaard.pdf
26KB, 1x1px
Could someone please give a quick glance to this before I leave for a game? It's still just a sketch of a character, since GM first need to accept it, but still.

The talent covers following skills: Boating (Sailship), Cartography, Knot-Tying, Navigation (Sea), Seamanship and Swimming. This is supposed to be for a Danish buccaneer. I couldn't figure out the whole "Reaction bonus", so I've skipped it
And do I really need Math (Applied) and Astronomy to use Navigation properly? I don't even have points left to raise those skills to any meaningful level, while they eat anyway 2 points that could be spend on something already having useful level. From what I understand, skills below 10 are not worth much. Also, is Economics required to have Finance?
>>
>>52343552
>>52344256
How exactly you handle it? Basic Set talks about keeping track of number of days between each scenario and keeping book-log of how long each skill was used in-game, but that only cause a situation when players are eager to prolong in-game breaks. I remember how giddy they've once get when one of the PCs (who was run by a non-regular member of the group) got badly mauled and required a month of hospitalisation, since that gave them an entire month to spend on training. I allowed that that time, because they've started with 100/-15 characters, but each time ever since it feels more like "no, you can't train, or you will get OP" rather than any real justification I can give. It's not raising any tensions, don't get me wrong, but I just feel like shit GM when I can't provide proper justification why players can't benefit from training rules other than "because". Sure, I give 3 points per entire scenario for "the best" player, but the training goes badly.
At least they don't do autistic training to finally come to me and say "Yay! Enough training for skill rise, here is the chart of all those 2-3 hour long training sessions!", or it would be otherwise unbearable for me.
>>
>>52345892
You can drop both of those skills without any effect on Navigation whatsoever. They can be used for supplementry rolls, but the navigation skill assumes you have enough training in both of those fields to handle navigation itself, while not exactly being familiar with calculus or knowing anything more about stars than where to find them and how to use their position.

Same applies to Economics - you can have a high practical skill in regards of making and turning money without theoretical knowledge of economic theories.

Enhanced parry with your skills is not exactly going to make much difference, so you can drop it.

Unless your GM is dickish, Gizmos rarely come to play. They might be useful, but then again, you are managing point budget and Gizmo is one of the easiest advantages to get.

If you are really starved for points, drop Fishing and Riding, too. You can always use those as unmodified roll. Besides riding for a privateer doesn't even sound all that important.

Any particular reason why you have 13 ST? Even if you want to have a slightly higher ST, it would be wiser to drop it to 12, and increase instead DX to 13, using all the points saved from dropped skills. DX is by far the most useful attribute, especially with the type of character you are making.
>>
>>52344256
The way I read it was training points can be earned seperately (or, the points you earn adventuring is on top of what amounts to the 1 point /200 hours or training you can get for downtime.
>>
>>52345999
http://gurpscalculator.com/WorkStudy

Also for the guy that's in the hospital, even if he spent the max amount of time studying he'd only get 2 CP, tops, at the end of the month if he was self teaching or getting an education.
>>
>>52347249
It wasn't the hospital guy - it was the rest of the party, waiting for him to leave the hospital, being all that happy it took so long, so they could study.
>>
File: maryshelley.jpg (89KB, 928x523px) Image search: [Google]
maryshelley.jpg
89KB, 928x523px
>>52345999
I tend to prefer pure points, with down time training handled as interesting fluff that shows what the characters are up to rather then being closely tracked. It's gamiest, rather then simulationist, but means that man hours for training doesn't need to be tracked and when you get XP there are no gates between you and spending it on advances you've unlocked.

When players get significant down time you can give them a few bonus points to reflect the chance to get a breather and do some training.

>>52347146
The default is you get bonus points for adventuring, and can also increase skills by training over time.
>>
>>52347514
>When players get significant down time you can give them a few bonus points to reflect the chance to get a breather and do some training.
Sounds like the easiest way to bloat 100 point character into 500 Supers within few months
>>
Has anyone figured out how to do d&d wildshape style shaoeshifting for GURPS? Everything I've tried is absurdly expensive...
>>
>>52347535
You could, just a montage of being trained and equipped as an ultimate warrior over a few months until Peter Parker becomes Spiderman.

In my more grounded games down-time bonus CP tends to come to just 2-4 points and a chance to get maybe $200-600 from working.
>>
>>52347249
I owe you a beer. If you are going to ever be in Ostrava, announce yourself in GURPSGEN.

>>52347706
You need for that a radioactive spider and weird science excuse, too
>>
>>52347616
You can either make Morph cheaper by stacking on some intense limitations like Maximum Duration, Limited Use, Pact, Trigger, etc., or you can take a number of Alternative Forms with less restrictive limitation and have all but the most expensive one bought as Alternative Abilities at 1/5 the price.
>>
File: 29701648422_ee4a4e8ef1_b.jpg (415KB, 1024x709px) Image search: [Google]
29701648422_ee4a4e8ef1_b.jpg
415KB, 1024x709px
>>52347616
Alternate Form doesn't run too expensive. Even things like a Bear template only adds so much, then each extra form is only going to cost 15 points that you can reduce with limitations like Magic and Pact (Duity to Nature).

If you want to be able to arbitrarily wild-shape into any form, it's Morph and you are going to spend a LOT of points on it, though a GM might be generous and give -50% or so for Animals, Generic Only as limitations.
>>
>>52347616
Isn't D&D-style wildshaping horrendously overpowered and one of the most cited reasons for 3.PF being Caster Edition (e.g. you're a full caster that can become more physically mighty than the party fighter and still cast spells)?

You might just have to tone it down or accept that shapeshifting is really damn powerful and thus expensive and be basically all your character can do. Don't try to recreate another system's brokenness without expecting to pay through the nose for it.
>>
>>52347880
Kinda. A big part of Druids being crazy broken was that they could put terrible scores into STR, DX and CON and use Wild Shape to have great scores instead, and their Animal Companion was tougher and harder hitting then some PC classes, and only became stronger when the druid could very easily buff it to the moon.

And the Druid was also a full caster, with a set of fight-ending spells.
>>
>>52347616
It's expensive, because it's incredibly powerful ability. Just deal with it.
>>
File: Jack.pdf (19KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Jack.pdf
19KB, 1x1px
>>52347265
Still only around 2 CP each for a month of study

>>52347754
hhaha.

Anyways, guys, my ultimate phone it in character sheet
>>
File: 192259.jpg (20KB, 442x600px) Image search: [Google]
192259.jpg
20KB, 442x600px
>>52348862
Hahahahaha
>>
>>52349262
It's only a 100/-27, which is actually a rather low point level, 125 and that's 12 modular points.
>>
>>52348862
Kek'd.. I wasn't sure where it's going until the last bit hit me like a train

It's still 2 CP for free. I always give them 2 CP per scenario as "average", 3 to the person who did really good and 1 to everyone who fucked up, but not hard enough to don't get any points at all.
In short, they've gained double of their prize. So from their perspective it was golden.

Also, why this thread is so slow today?
>>
>>52350298
Friday
Discord ate the posting base too
And tards in the "redpoll me on GURPS" thread drawing the trolld
>>
>>52350325
Since when Friday has effect on /tg/ activity?
>>
File: 1460994369990.png (513KB, 587x637px) Image search: [Google]
1460994369990.png
513KB, 587x637px
>>52350353
I dunno man
I'm just a dog
>>
If the PCs are kids with school and parents to devote time to, should I give them a nonhazardous duty?
>>
>>52350796
Could you please elaborate? It might be lack of sleep for past two days, or it might be you are too vague.
>>
What's the best disadvantage to dependent situation where your PC is dependant on somone else. For most basic example - when kids are fully dependent on their parents legally and economically
>>
>>52352118
Patron and Social Stigma (Minor)
>>
>>52350796

Yeah, unless they're bullied.
>>
>>52352441
I'd say that's the child having an Enemy, not the duty itself being hazardous. School only becomes a hazardous duty of the curriculum itself is lethal or if the conditions are hazardous (eg going to school in a warzone).
>>
>>52352533
Depends on the level of bullying and the teachers, I think
>>
File: 1269030347375.jpg (160KB, 571x983px) Image search: [Google]
1269030347375.jpg
160KB, 571x983px
HAHAHAH

TIME FOR FIREFLY:THE VERSE
>>
>Altered Time Rate says you can't Feint unless you slow down because it would be too fast for the target to be affected by
>Normal people can Rapid Strike to Feint and Attack in the same turn

Explain this.
>>
File: 1457329545345.jpg (137KB, 745x1173px) Image search: [Google]
1457329545345.jpg
137KB, 745x1173px
>>52353909
I got nothing
>>
>>52350796
If all the PCs are kids and need to spend roughly the same amount of time at school, I wouldn't give them points for it. A Duty should be for something extra that none of the other PCs have to worry about, not the main plot. Otherwise it's just free points.

You could give some of the a Duty for extracurricular clubs, being on a sports team, or extra tutoring.
>>
File: lNqjRJ5.png (751KB, 1582x935px) Image search: [Google]
lNqjRJ5.png
751KB, 1582x935px
Note to self: Low performance freighters can technically output the same forces as fighters...but cannot sustain the burnout in the engines
>>
New player here. Can you guys give me a quick rundown on the different base game fighting styles? I mean, why should I pick one over the other?
>>
>>52354683
Whoa there buddy. What do you mean by styles? Like Boxing v Brawling v Karate? A comparison of all melee combat skills? Or is your GM using Styles-with-a-capital-S from Martial Arts?
>>
>>52354726
>Like Boxing v Brawling v Karate? A comparison of all melee combat skills?
Yes, that's what I meant.
>>
File: 1273156458946.jpg (33KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1273156458946.jpg
33KB, 184x184px
>>52354683
Investment vs payoff
Brawling >boxing >karate, in that order, are easier to hardest. You get more bonuses from the harder skills, and can get more techniques in the long run, so brawling is for short term payoff and bonuses, and karate is for invested hand to hand killin. Boxing is a weird in between

also NONE OF THIS IS REGARDS TO BALANCE OR RAW FAIR PLAY its historical and mostly realistic. No wizard vs druid vs samurai here, just real work and real world examples of hand to hand combat skills, abstracted for play
>>
>>52345999

Preventing players from getting too OP is a perfectly good reason to tell them they can't do something.

As well, the way I said in my post is how I handle your problem. Require points AND training to be spent to increase a skill. If they're raising a skill suitably high enough, it should take them a pretty long time.
>>
>>52354781
Ah kay then. Was worried you had a GM throwing Martial Arts at newbies.

Right off the bat, there's a difference in cost. Brawling is Easy, Boxing is Average, and Karate is Hard. This means it takes more points to be good in Karate than it does in Brawling. If you plan on investing a lot of points into unarmed fighting, you should probably go for Boxing or Karate as they are better than Brawling. If you only have 1 or 2 or 4 points to put into unarmed fighting, though, it's more important to be good at Brawling than mediocre at Karate.

Next comes what the skills can do.
Brawling includes the obvious like punches and kicks, but also bites as well; it also covers some minor often-improvised weapons. However, it has poor damage bonuses and sucks ass at parrying swung weapons.
Boxing is punching only. It is much more narrow than Brawling, but the specialization comes with some nice benefits: you get a very nice bonus to damage and get a full +3 to Parry just like a Dodge. You still suck at parrying swung weapons, though, and your fist-focused existence means you also aren't good at parrying kicks.
Karate is often considered the pinnacle of unarmed combat. All the extra damage and retreat bonuses of Boxing plus the ability to kick *AND* you finally shed that pesky Parry penalty vs swung weapons, what's not to like? It does come at a cost though; on top of the higher difficulty, Karate also takes encumbrance penalties, meaning that it's rarely used by people that have the good sense to wear decent armor. It also lacks Brawling's full scope; bites and similar natural attacks are not covered by Karate.

In general, people either go with Karate if they want to do a lot of punching or Brawling if they just need an unarmed backup option. Boxing is a sexy beast though.
>>
>>52355111
Brawling seems cooler to me because I imagine you're throwing haymakers, clotheslines, headbutts, and elbows.
>>
>>52354781
>Brawling
Punching, kicking, biting (and claws/horns/etc if you have them), slamming into people, and using a blackjack. The easiest to learn, but doesn't get much of a damage bonus for high skill, and doesn't have many fancy techniques.

>Boxing
Punching only. Gets a bigger damage bonus than brawling and gives you a parry bonus when retreating, but is harder to learn. Doesn't have many techniques.

>Karate
Punching and kicking. Gets the same damage and parry bonuses as Boxing, and lets you parry swung weapons without a penalty. The hardest to learn, but has a ton of useful techniques. Unlike both of the above, Karate is affected by your encumbrance.
>>
>>52355133
All those are also doable with Karate. Remember that Karate is more than the Okinawan martial arts style; it's any formal training in dealing harm with your body efficiently. Muay Thai, Krav Maga, and any other "refined" way of punching and kicking dudes falls under Karate.
>>
>What's your favourite way of gaining new skills and increasing existing ones?
When I GM, points earned in regular play can only be spent on skills used in play previously, at a rate I control, or on buying back disadvantages that make sense according to what happened in game.

Attributes and skills you don't know or didn't use can only be gotten/increased through training.

Advantages only come as special in-game rewards and can't be bought directly with points.

If a player wants a specific advantage or to buy back a specific disadvantage, they can usually talk to me and I'll set up an appropriately difficult event when it makes sense.
>>
File: 1323408808656.png (25KB, 492x400px) Image search: [Google]
1323408808656.png
25KB, 492x400px
>>52353909
The "can't Feint whilst accelerated" thing is more a catch-all principal thing, meant more for higher levels of ATR. Granted it's a bit wonky with only one level of ATR, but look at it like this:
Rapid Striking to Feint and Attack in the same turn is more like a combined Feint-Attack manoeuvre---a fluid motion where you distract your opponent and take advantage of it in a strike, all in a single motion.
You CAN Feint and Attack even with ATR, though:
With ATR, it would be the same as using your first round to Feint, then the next to Attack (i.e. effectively "slowing down" to normal speed: a normal Rapid Strike Feint-Attack).
I'd rule this as "slowing down", anyway.

So.. using one of your accelerated rounds to Rapid Strike Feint-Attack wouldn't work, because it would be too fast. ...but your opponent would still defend against it. Normally.
..even if the very action itself is "too fast to respond to normally"..
Yeeah.. The ATR rules are a bit odd, sadly.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
8KB, 225x225px
Godamnit Faust
What the hell
>>
File: tumblr_nm62ruRqon1r89qoso1_500.gif (2MB, 500x271px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nm62ruRqon1r89qoso1_500.gif
2MB, 500x271px
tl;dr on striking skills http://pastebin.com/ynsahRS1
Did I miss anything important?
>>
>>52356706
Instead of
>* Judo allows unique Judo Throw maneuver
You should specify that Judo allows to convert successful parries into throws and arm locks.
>>
>>52357269
>convert successful parries into throws
This sounds a bit confusing. You don't "convert" parry into throw, you just can throw after parry without grappling.
>arm locks
You can perform arm lock after wrestling (or even weapon) parry as well, this is not unique to Judo.
>>
>>52356706
Does Judo's 1 parry per hand mean that the incremental parrying penalty is -4 per every second parry? Also, would Trained by a Master reduce this to -2 per every second parry?
>>
>>52357446
>every second parry
If you have two arms and both are empty, yes.
>>
>>52356706
Damn, this is neat. Love simple and elegant comparisons like this. Thanks!

Also, if I'm to get quickly acquainted with the (relatively new) sorcery system, where is it featured?
How is it in rough terms compared with, say, ritual path magic or normal spell/skill magic?
>>
>>52357446

Yes, and yes.

But keep in mind that your right hand can only comfortably parry in front of you and to your right side, while your left can only parry forward and left without penalty, so it's not always that simple.
>>
Is it possible to make a large creature, say SM4, while keeping certain body parts, like the eyes, at a smaller SM so they're still at -7 to hit? Or make a small creature with extra large body parts, like an extra large eye that's easier to hit?

Basically, is there an advantage or disadvantage that lets body parts have a different SM from the main body?
>>
>>52357525
You mean Thaumatology: Sorcery? It's basically spells as powers (advantages) plus improvisation via Sorserous Empowerment, which is just special case of Modular Abilities.
You have less versatility than BS mages, let alone RPM mages, but your signature spells are more powerful and you can cast them pretty much non-stop.
>>
File: 1459053373969.gif (484KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
1459053373969.gif
484KB, 1280x768px
>>52357725
I see. Kind of like a throwback to how psionics work then, with a few embellishments. I'll sniff around for the pdf.
Thank you so much

I saw someone go "Man I love sorcery!" so I figured it was worth checking out, even though I usually prefer having both BS magic and RPM magic as distantly related traditions in the world. Might be cool to try this though.
Anyone tried using it in their setting? How does it work flavour-wise?
>>
>>52355072
>Require points AND training to be spent to increase a skill
Then I misunderstood you. Thanks for clarification and sorry for the misunderstanding
>>
>>52357688
... Bio-Tech?
>>
>>52357688
Use the rules for modifying existing limbs under Extra Arm/Leg will let you sort of do it, but it may get expensive.
>>
>>52357688
Martial Arts, under Teeth on p.115
>Born Biters: Some creatures have elongated jaws built for biting – a zero-cost racial feature.
>They get +1 to +3 to effective SM only to determine how they bite. Apply the same bonus to rolls to hit their jaw or nose.

Basic Set, under 360 vision
>Easy to Hit: Your eyes are on stalks, unusually large, or otherwise more vulnerable to attack.
>Others can target your eyes from within their arc of vision at only -6 to hit. -20%
360 vision is a 25 point advantage

Basic Set, Extra Arm
>Long: This increases your effective SM for the purpose of calculating reach with that arm (see Size Modifier and Reach, p. 402).
>This does affect the reach of melee weapons wielded in that hand. Each +1 to SM also adds +1 per die to swinging damage. +100% per +1 to SM.
Doesn't alter SM, but might be relevant. Also see "Short" limitation.
>>
>>52357946
>>52357952
Alright, thanks. I'll try working something up with that.
>>
File: Kael-art.jpg (118KB, 804x600px) Image search: [Google]
Kael-art.jpg
118KB, 804x600px
My GM says "Fuck You!" about my Kael'thas-style mage.
So i want to rebuild him into figter. What good abilities for fighter i can fit in such gadget (as AAs), exept force field DR?
>Orbiting Shard Of Power (-50%)
>DR5, -15%; SM-6, -10%; Thief must win a Quick Contest of DX or ST, -30%; Will not immediately work for the thief, +15%; Magical,-10%.
And if i want to every ability will change shards color to own color, should i slap "Visible, -10%" to ability or to meta-limitation?
>>
>>52358199
By default, I believe most advantages are obvious. Traditionally, DR is obvious or at least can be guessed at -- rough leathery hide, chirinous shell, etc. In your character's case, the obviousness comes from the orb's color.
>>
>>52354223
>If all the PCs are kids and need to spend roughly the same amount of time at school, I wouldn't give them points for it. A Duty should be for something extra that none of the other PCs have to worry about, not the main plot. Otherwise it's just free points.

Nah man, otherwise you don't get points for Duty in a military campaign
>>
>>52354223
>>52358544

As a rule of thumb, if there's an advantage/disadvantage that's shared by the entire party (i.e. it's an integral part of the campaign) and it's not directly ability or combat related, I would very rarely give/charge points for them at all.
(Most of the time I would probably not even add these "hidden" ads/disads into the party character point totals. Unless they were combat-related or very obvious or high-power ones, that is. I'd just GM normally, consider it "backdrop"/"ghost" ads/disads, sort of.)
>>
Short of manually going through every disadvantage and banning or modifying price, is there any 'pre-packaged' way to get rid of shitty free-points disadvantages?

Getting real sick of players loading up on minor social and motivational disadvantages for a mission exclusively set on a battlefield so they can afford a second level of ATR.
>>
>>52347616
What's wrong with the Shapeshifting spell? With a few levels of aspected Magery and high IQ you can get a lot of forms for a few points.

>>52358199

As a fighter, you mostly want passive abilities...

360 degree Vision or Peripheral Vision is useful if you're a high-skill guy worried about being mobbed by many opponents.

Enhanced Defences is often useful for fighters.

Enhanced Move helps you get into melee range, if you are a melee guy.

Flight is really good if you don't have any decent ranged attacks and are in the kind of genre where flying enemies are common.

Obscure (Vision, Defensive) is pretty brutal for a melee fighters.

Perfect Balance is nice as an AA. You don't always need it, but in some circumstances it's a huge advantage.

Regeneration is great for 'tank' fighters.

Any kind of alternative to being blind in dark areas; Night Vision, Vibration Sense, Infravision, Scanning Sense...

Spines or any attack (innate attack, affliction, etc) with Aura works well.

As for the Visible limitation, surely it works the same regardless? Put it in the meta-limitation for convenience sake.
>>
>>52358544
>Duty in a military campaign
>Your friends pass Duty check, only you called to duty.
>They drink in bar
>You blown-up with BAR in HMMV
>>
>>52358625
Listen, the whole of GURPS is based on a very important, central, singular principle:
YOU, as a GM have to be the one to stop things like this. You're going to be the one to say "this is the limit for social/mental disads" or "sorry, you can't take that, since it won't end up being properly roleplayed[-because you have too many mental disads already]"

Players will always hoard points, and try to slither their way into getting as many as possible. You can't stop this entirely, and it also gives them some enjoyment (particularly the powergamers, for whom this is one of the great joys of the game), but that being said, if done to a large and frustrating degree, you'll be better off bringing it up and constraining it somehow.
(You're the one it hurts in the end, after all, considering you can no longer keep track of the disads.)

..Of course, if all the players do it and you're ok with the---hopefully marginal---amount of extraneous points they get out of it, you could just let it slide.
(Even though it will foster some unhealthy attitudes towards roleplaying mental/social disads.)
>>
>>52358625
>for a mission exclusively set on a battlefield
You playing "go grind some more goblins" with 100+ points for disadvantages?
Why you allowing disadvantages?
>>
>>52358673
>360 Degree Vision, Enhanced Defenses/Move, Flight, Obscure, REGENERATION, etc
Whoah, if my GM lets me have free picks like that when building a fighter, I'd either tell him to reconsider, or myself reconsider the setting we'd be starting in.
That being said, those are nice suggestions that I agree with.

Another cool option is to build a passive Autoparry kind of defense in the form of DR, using lots of modifiers. Never tried it in-game, only on paper, but it's a neat concept for cinematic or high-powered games.
>>
>>52358810
I figured that if it was an ability powered by a magical floating shard which glowed different colours when using different abilities, you had kind of a free reign.

>>52358625

Not that I'm aware of, but if I was you I'd consider writing a list of allowed disadvantages rather than a list of banned ones.

You could also make your task a little easier by checking an appropriate genre book and seeing if there is a recommended traits list or cribbing from the templates. It's not foolproof, because many GURPS books are written with the assumption that it's OK to take 'free points' disadvantages, but at least it tends to avoid the most silly ones.

Alternatively, you can just implement a rule like 'only physical disadvantages' which tends to cut down on most issues. Or just give them more points and don't let them take disadvantages at all.
>>
>>52358625
It's very simple, since you are a GM. It goes like this:
You pick up character sheet, you notice someone cooked something based on free points disadvantages, you look up what expensive shit they've got and you go "Yo, Steve, the fuck is this shit, dog? You want to embarrass yourself? That's wha's you wanna do?"
Let your players know that this won't go at your table. It's one of the core rules of GURPS - strong-willed GM that basically says "this shit won't fly".
>>
>>52358625
If you want to ban something, ban disadvantages below -15 points. This way when your players pick something, they pick some serious malnus. -10 point can work too, but only if you are using Basic Set and nothing else. If disadvantage has levels, don't allow less than at least 4 ranks of it for the cheaper ones and 2 ranks for the -5 ones.
>>
SJW tolerance ideas is Fanatism (Womans, LGBT, PoC and others are abused by WASP) [-15] or Delusion [-15]?
>>
>>52359789
Depends. Some are just delusional (and you can see ex-feminists dropping this shit as they realize what's going on), some are bloodthirsty fanatics who just use those ideas as cover.
>>
File: 1483389715753.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1483389715753.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
Hey guys, do you think you could help me out?

I want to run a sort of space opera set in the All Tomorrows universe, but I'm not sure how to write up the species. Do you guys think you could hell me out?

Specifically, I'd like to have it set sometime during the galactic speciation, I'm just not sure how to do each species
>>
>>52360973
I wouldn't touch that setting with a ten foot pole in any rpg-related sense, even though it's an interesting read.

Statting the species would be a lot of hassle, but I suggest you start with jotting down rough ideas, especially for the hard/weird ones. The "simpler" ones will flesh themselves out when you get to details.
>>
File: 317.png (90KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
317.png
90KB, 500x501px
>>52359789
>>
What difference between Incantion Magic and RPM?
It is the same thing or there some important changes like between RPM, Monster Hunters RPM and Thaumatology RPM?
>>
>>52361987
It changes a few of the metrics for the calculations, like timespans are much more expensive, it changes the paths to work with the niche protection scheme of Dungeon Fantasy (No teleport or healing spells), it doesn't have greater effects, and it uses a lot of the modifications (though I think there are a few changes because of the no lesser/greater effects thing) for the Effect Shaping variant of RPM in Pyramid #3/66.
>>
File: 5829732_700b.jpg (80KB, 700x653px) Image search: [Google]
5829732_700b.jpg
80KB, 700x653px
GRIMWYRD TIME

[immediately devolves into a half hour chat about SKS cleaning before play resumes]
>>
Are there any pre-made templates or anything like that for fae?
>>
>>52362792
check the third edition, faeries
>>
Lads playing some house ruled Disc-world as a member of the city guard and have decided to make a lazy piece of shit dwarf noble dude.

These GM house rules seem fairly random tho, like only a very limited set of skills are available and all the point buy values are messed up/limited.

I have literally no idea what I am doing with gurps, but here is a rough outline of my fella

Attributes
ST:12
DX:11 10pt
IQ:13 10pt
HT:12

Skills
IQ-Armoury:1
HT-Carousing:2 10pt
IQ-Engineer:1
IQ-Explosives:1
IQ-Influence:1 20pt
IQ-Law:1 20pt
ST-Melee Weapons:1
IQ-Merchant:2 10pt
IQ-Observation:1 20pt
ST-Shield:1
ST-Thrown Weapon:1

Advantages
Lucky 15pt
Night Vision

Disadvantages
Greedy -15pt
Jealousy -10pt

any other guff

Perception 15 10pt

is there anything glaringly wrong with it, ignore all the point allocation as it makes no sense
>>
>>52363791
what the fuck did your GM do
why are DX/IQ 10 points a level
Why are skills... what do your skills even mean? What does HT-Carousing:2 10pt mean?
can't even understand your sheet dude
>>
>>52363895

bearing in mind I made that monstrosity before I read the book but was provided a points cost sheet by the gm.

basically I got a basic stat spread for being a dorf which is st12, dx10, iq12, ht12.

after that I was allowed to spend 20 of my 100 freebie points on attibutes at a cost of 10 per attribute, but not allowed to put more than 1 in a single attribute

the carousing thing:
HT being the attribute the skill is based off
Carousing 2 as I spent 10 of these fucking freebie points to upgrade the free rank for being a dorf to 2

after reading the actual core rule book for gurps I quickly realised non of these house rules make any sense when looking at either the core rule book or discworld supplement
>>
>>52363791
I... wat?

I literally have no idea what you or your GM are doing with gurps. What even are those numbers?

If you're a noble you ought to have something like Status, Rank, Wealth.
>>
>>52364045
Carousing 2 doesn't tell me anything
is carousing at HT+2, so you have carousing-14?
>>
>>52364058

ye boi thats why I am kinda stuck as to wtf is going on atm, none of that shit seems to be included at all, I asked about it and basically got some shit back about how its going to be more free-form with gurps as a base

I will freely admit I have no fucking clue how gurps works, having just dl'd a butt-load of content for it and am reading through it atm

the actual "character" was made with shit the gm put on their obsidian portal page, with me trying to decipher what the hell is going on and create a coherent character
>>
>>52364089

after reading the copy of the rule book I got, yes thats what I mean

I have absolutely no idea why my gm has bent the gurps core rules over her knee and royally fucked them so hard for what seems to be no reason
>>
>>52364112
>>52364137
don't play dude
this shit cannot end well and you're gonna get all sorts of fucked-up ideas about how GURPS works

just don't play
>>
>>52364153

IRL chums dude, I literally cannot back out or I would lose what little social life I had
>>
>>52361130
>I wouldn't touch that setting with a ten foot pole in any rpg-related sense
How come? If you wrote it up and presented it to a bunch of people who had never read the book then you could run a pretty fun intrigue campaign
>>
>>52364112
Can you link the page? I can't tell if the confusion is stemming from your GM messing with GURPS's mechanics or you simply being super green.
>>
Im playing a RoS game where my current PC's secret has been revealed and he's on the run, from Washington to Denver to join the HLA (contacts).

FBI is on my ass and we can't stay in any one place too long. I have a vehicle though (Playing smuggler, ol' pickup truck as vehi). So we're barreling across the protectorate towards Denver.

The GM using the rules in RoS for traveling unseen gives the FBI a 1/6 chance of finding us on the road, and rolls a daily search check with certain modifiers everyday we stay in a city (the population peters out the further west you go. The last city with any people is St. Louis).

We've made it to Indianapolis with only one incident at a bar in Pittsburg where a FBI agent and his partner bot (like a humanoid rover w/ stun laser) caught up to us. They were easily overpowered though and we hightailed it to Indy.

We're out of ethanol and out of money, the FBI is after us and we've decided to split up and search for scrap to sell to get us ethanol to get out of here...

We still have to make it to the border and what I've read in RoS it will be a duesy.

Having a lot of fun so far. Although parts of GURPS can either feel arbitrary with some of the rolls, but we've only had one combat so far and it went smoothly.

Anyone want to place bets on if we'll make it past the border? Do you guys think the GM is too easy on us? I feel my secret has kind of f'ed up the main story, but GURPS handles the change in plot and tempo well.
>>
>>52365367

I aint linking the page, but after having read through some of the rules its definitely the GM messing with the rules

I am still not entirely sure why they have done if, if they just wanted a freeform like they said I can't see why they would have to fuck with the rules to this extent. it seems to be making it more crunchy desu
>>
Magic is some bullshit.

t. Suðri
>>
Instead of having to buy a shit load of ST, why isn't there just a Super Strength advantage?
>>
>>52367942
Supers has that.
There's also this: http://www.ravensnpennies.com/2016/04/gurps101-somewhat-more-super-st.html
KYOS makes buying shitloads of ST more reasonable if you just want basic lift
>>
File: 3pzl1sntk5jx.jpg (902KB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
3pzl1sntk5jx.jpg
902KB, 5184x3456px
>>52367142
This week on Grimwyld we had a lot of magical bullshit going on.

With the last place we stayed burned the fuck down and everyone tired it was time to find somewhere to stay. Rather then an inn the big fucking beastman of the group went down to the river docks and broke into a disused warehouse, something the rest of the group was okay with.

Cozy as fuck crib located we crashed out for the rest of the night and in the morning tried to find a doctor and some food. People were treating the beastman/elf/dwarf parts of the group suspiciously and the magic academy were we'd hope to find help was closed down by order of the Lord Marshall.

They did catch word that there might be some healers outside the city walls and decide that it was time to check back in before they risked going outside the city. On the way back we had someone following us. We set up a ambush in an alleyway but ended up not needing it.

Turned out to be the first commander we had, someone we hadn't seen in a long time. He was looking much more dark and bloody then when we last saw him, he'd been fired from his job as a military scout/problem solver and was looking for us because of his new job.

He would not talk much about his new job, beyond saying his people wanted to meet us and could provide a doctor, and got real squrriely when we talked to him back at the new base, using some kind of magic to vanish though the floor.

It's not all doom and gloom. Falkirk, the ex-PC that had been in a coma and half the reason we wanted a healer, woke up! He'd been healed by Fae Magic, but they also stole his powers. He's pissed at Roderick for that deal.

That's were we stopped. Next week it seems like our old commander might come back.. either to help us and we were being paranoid, or to murder us because he's part of the fucked up cult that tried to kill us.
>>
File: 1490179258816.jpg (32KB, 400x382px) Image search: [Google]
1490179258816.jpg
32KB, 400x382px
>>52367142
Sounds like we got a Dorf that needs to tap into his ancestral powers!
>>
File: 1484267090083.jpg (117KB, 478x604px) Image search: [Google]
1484267090083.jpg
117KB, 478x604px
>>52367942
>Why do super powers cost a bunch of points?

I'm kidding. We've got a super speed advantage in the form of Enhanced Move, and "super HT" in the form of things like Supernatural Durability and Unkillable. Seems like some kind of power that makes you super strong without inflating your ST score to the moon could work.

>>52368193
>He gains the power to summon and communicate with the creatures of the forest.
>Great-great grandfather was an elf.
>>
>>52368192
What the fuck is your GM like, that you spend an entire session like that?
>>
File: 1426540641597.png (513KB, 564x874px) Image search: [Google]
1426540641597.png
513KB, 564x874px
what starting point amount do you all prefer for chargen? i can't decide what to go with
>>
>>52369336
It's heavily based on what kind of game you are running.I typically go with 150 for 'normalish' people, or 250 if I want something a bit more out there.
>>
File: 1384283875994.png (256KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1384283875994.png
256KB, 720x540px
I'm having some issues as a GM, so I have some questions:

>Is there a recommendable limit for a dodge attribute?
>Is there a way for a weak character to overcome a decent DR through combat maneuvers?
>>
>>52370949
>>Is there a recommendable limit for a dodge attribute?
No
>>Is there a way for a weak character to overcome a decent DR through combat maneuvers?
Targeting chinks in armor.
>>
>>52370949
Dodge 10 means that someone will be able to dodge an attack 50% of the time, 84% or so with a retreat.
Dodge 11 means 62.5%, 91% or so with a retreat.
12 means 74%, and 95% with a retreat.
You could put a limit on max Speed (around 7 or 8) and disallow Enhanced Dodge, or you could penalize multiple dodges at a cumulative -1 past the first. I say just give people not as many points if you aren't comfortable with a high Dodge score (say, 150 points).

Overcome DR by targeting unarmored areas. The eyes usually fit this description. You can also target chinks in armor. You could also try to damage the armor itself, or grapple them and damage with locks. There are more ways, but you get the idea.
>>
>>52369355
But at the same time special forces like SEALs start out at like 300 points. You could run a game in the 400 point range and as long as you policed character creation enough you could still end up with plausibly realistic characters.
>>
>>52370949
>Is there a recommendable limit for a dodge attribute?
An unmodified Dodge of 14+ is gonna be a lot of trouble for anyone, you'd need an attack roll of 20 to get that down to Dodge 10 ONLY with deceptive attacks while still having an effective SL of 12, Feints definitely help a lot here but you can see that the effort required to get it down to a 'mere' 50% roll, and that's assuming there's no Retreat involved to make your life hell. Fortunately, if you ban Enhanced Dodge the effort required to get to that Dodge level is also quite expensive, but if you can spare the points, it's probably one of the stronger investments in terms of what can annoy your GM the most.

>>Is there a way for a weak character to overcome a decent DR through combat maneuvers?
I guess it depends on TL. I know low TLs the most so... DR does jack shit against grapples, even if you have a 0% chance of getting even 1 point of injury in against their DR, you can still incapacitate them through grapples, once you get them into a Pin the fight is over, you can AoA (Determined) into the chinks in armor hit location to infinity (I don't know if the rules exist for this, but you could just remove their helmet as well). But if your weakness means 'low ST' weak, you're gonna need help.
>>
>>52371092
>implying SEAL template isn't cinematic as fuck
It says right in the book that it's heroic version of them designed for heroic game, not gritty survival on the battlefield.
>>
>>52371092
Realistic SEALS are more like 150pts. 100-200 is described as the limit of realistic human ability

"Heroic (100-200 points): People at the realistic pinnacle of physical, mental, or social achievement; e.g., Navy SEALs, world-class scientists, and millionaires. Most full-time adventurers start their careers at around 150 points"
Basic Set p.487
>>
File: 1467858093991.jpg (301KB, 1280x852px) Image search: [Google]
1467858093991.jpg
301KB, 1280x852px
>>52368767
Pretty good. This was player driven slowness, I think we could have gone faster if there hadn't been spending a lot of time talking.

Also, it's a footwork and investigation session. Slow burn to something big, sets up more of the strange shit going on and lets us see familiar characters changed.

That said I wouldn't complain if the next session starts with us rolling initiative as we are attacked.
>>
Anyone got some good session stories? I've been reading into GURPS and it seems like a good system.
>>
>>52371673
Aforementioned Grimwyrd goodness
https://kendelyzer.wordpress.com
>>
>>52371673
http://dungeonfantastic.blogspot.com/p/my-df-campaign.html
>>
>>52371843
>>52371964
Thanks, dudes. Will be giving these a read.
>>
So, while making a character for a game, I ended up with 10 basic speed... Am I just being an asshole at this point?
>>
Using "Gunslinger" with "On Target" i'll get each time i shoot new target
>3d/10*Acc with pistols
>3d/10*Acc/2 with longarms
>1.8*Acc after Aim
Right?
>>
>>52373530

Yes.
Basic Speed 10 is a bad number.
Make sure you at least get Basic Move up to 11, so you can take 2 steps per turn.
>>
>>52373726
So are you saying I should not get basic speed 10? Or are you saying I should get basic speed 11?
>>
>>52369336
125/-25 for not-cinematic, non (or low) magic games.
170/-30 for cinematic
300+ for Supers (depending on how super they are supposed to be)
>>
>>52373769

Basic speed 11 if you can afford it, more is always better, but basic speed 9 and basic move 11 is usually better than basic speed 10.
>>
>>52369336

Depends. For gritty stuff like a film noir inspired game I go for lower point values, like 100 points with 45 maximum disadvantage points.

Higher point value games are a lot of fun too. I really enjoy playing monsters, with inhuman powers and abilities.
>>
>>52369336
I prefer the advice in Action 4 - I decide the point value on how many players there'll be, as well as the style/genre of game I'm playing. Fewer players generally means more points. I also prefer to limit disadvantages, both in number and point values.

For a 'standard' game, four players, I usually allow 150/-25 - 150/-35.

Three players is usually 175/-35 to 175/-40.

Two Players, 200/-40 to 250/-50.

I typically only allow about three individual disadvantages per character, unless I'm running for only one or two players in which case they might be allowed up to five.
>>
Is it possible to use Pact in more traditional sense, as in - selling your soul? By description from B, it sounds pretty much like being an AD&D paladin rather than selling your soul to the devil
>>
>>52375884
Yeah, they made it generic enough to work for warlocks and paladins alike. I make liberal use of it in my games recently

I do think, though, that having your souls sold to a godling might fall under patrons then; if mechanically, you get assistance from them(regardless of the debt arrangement) then they grant gifts as per the patron rules.
If you have powers that are offset by adherence to their patronage, then that's pact
>>
>>52375884
Like >>52375972 said - sold soul is more of Patron kind of deal than Pact, BUT there is absolutely nothing stopping you from having both.
Unless of course the GM puts a veto on that, but it sounds reasonable enough to get both.
>>
> All these anemic point values
Maybe I'm just bad at optimizing point values, but unless I have at least 200 points, my characters can only exist as hyperfocused autists, or well rounded and fluffy characters that can't actually do their job very well.
>>
>>52376029
Not sure if you've been around in previous thread, but this guy >>52345892 is apparently a first-time GURPS player. And I say it's a pretty well-rounded character, even if you ignore few design flaws
>>
>>52376029
For 200 points I can build you a decent character, his small dog and their moped.
>>
File: kk.jpg (35KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
kk.jpg
35KB, 450x338px
>>52375884
>in more traditional sense, as in - selling your soul?
Find point cost of your pity soul [generic 25 + good aligned (dis)ads - evil aligned (dis)ads] x PurityFactor (You know pious virgins costs more)
Find Buyer for you pity soul -- occultism, phone number from toilet wall or whatever related
Make a Deal -- write contract, bargain about cost and other bureaucracy shticks
Get Damned (Soul Buyer Name) [-5/lvl] for every 10% of soul sold
????????
PROFIT
>>
>>52376216
>>52376249
Do you have any general tips for optimizing points? Especially without using Talents, because I haven't had a GM yet that hasn't banned them.
>>
>>52376269

High Attributes and 1-4 points in most skills generally pays off.
Techniques generally aren't worth investing in except for one or at most two if you want to distinguish your character.
All attributes and similar traits at break points. For example for ST you'll want 11, 13, or 15, as the even numbers don't give you any increase in damage. Here, ST 13 is of particular interest as it gives you 2d-1 swing damage. Basic Speed should be a whole number, Move should be uneven, etc.
Look for equipment bonuses where you can, be it high quality gear, balanced weapons or Equipment/Weapon bond.
A few advantages are really worthwhile, a level of Fit is often better than raw HT, Combat Reflexes is better than raw skill or speed when it comes to defense, a level or two of Charisma is usually better than Appearance.
>>
>>52376269
Talents are only useful when you use all 6/12/18 slots for them AND already spent 2 points into those skills, as those are the only moments, when they break even.

But honestly, when you start out, you just need an outline what your character is supposed to be. Having more than 13 DX or IQ is usually not worth the points at the game start. Alternatively, rise those high and then just pick related skills for 1 point.

NEVER start with stuff like "Enhanced Parry" or similar and God forbid picking Techniques, as those are massive early point sinks without any real pay-off at this point of the game. Unless the game is TL0 or 1, ignore High Pain Threshold and all DR-related stuff too. They look nice, but cost too much.

Also, if you are going to fight, then get Fit and Combat Reflexes duo. Those are your priorities regardless of anything, because they are both extremely useful, cost efficient and most importantly - can substitute for stats.
>>
>>52376269
The only thing that is hard to make at "standard" 125/-25 limit is magic user, because you are going to end up with squishy pushover 9 out of 10 cases.
The 10th case is Megumin clone, where you aren't pushover, but have literally one spell behind your belt.
>>
>>52376269
Depends on character.

If you are fighting and it's TL 6 and below, DX and ST are kings. 13 of boths, combined with Fit and Combat Reflexes, 4 points into your "main" fighting skill, 2 to the two seconary skills and then remaining points used as you please.
TL 7 and above means ST is less important, so you can go as far as ignore it completely, gatting up to 30 points to spend on other things.
If you are supposed to be "face" and don't want to be useless in combat, then 12 DX, 13 IQ and go from there, whenever you please to go.

Note that those are MINIMUM values, not the "top" you need to get. That's literally the least amount of attributes you need, but if you feel like having less skills/advantages, rise them higher.
Generally it pays of to raise DX and IQ for every 16 points you would normally spend into skills to compensate. So when you are between raising 4 different DX-based skills by 4 points each, raise DX instead. Same with IQ.
For ST the break-value is 7 and for HT it's completely ignorable.
>>
>>52376265
You know, this actually works as reasonable mechanics, even if it's winged for a joke.
>>
Question on disadvantage limits:

Going off the earlier discussion, what's your stance on max disadvantages? 4e making it a percentage rather than a hard limit of 40 makes sense, but 50% feels a little too generous for me, especially for higher point values.

What's your house rule on the subject? 40%? 30%? Or even a hard limit like the original -40?
>>
>>52378113
I have values for it. At 100, it's -15. 125, it's -25. At 150, it's -30. At 200, it's -40. Above 200 I literally don't care, because there is enough points already to make powerful PCs
>>
>>52378113
Depends. Usually -50/-75 for less-realism/more-realism, but never disallowed taking more than a limit
>>
>>52378113
>Going off the earlier discussion, what's your stance on max disadvantage
I always make it -25. That's enough points to have some major issues, but not overload the character or the campaign. I've never had a character that wanted to be blind or something similar, so it's always worked out for me.
>>
>>52378113
Unless there is some specific, role-playing reason and players need to get more, I don't allow going above -30, no matter what. Usually it's -20, since I tend to run low point games.
But when you, say, need to be cursed or stuck in shadow form, sure. Just provide me with character story for that.
>>
I want my players to be able to buy a trading company for an ally/contact. Which advantage is more suitable for a company that will give the players info and a way to sell their more exotic goods, and how should i stat them?

The company is principally held by five brothers, each one is a little different but i would say each of them is maybe 100 points individually, and then there are their 20ish employees who are probably normal 50 point normies.
>>
>>52378993
Give more details: TL, mana or not, political integrity of the world/region. Also, how does the company operate? Is it Hanseatic type of deal, with small office in every town? Or maybe Venetian port? Or maybe some orther form of organisation? Or just single warehouse in single city, doing trade in that city?
>>
>>52378993

If you insist on it being an advantage, rather than just a normal part of the social network everyone gets for free, contact group seems most appropriate.
>>
Is there any modifier for being attacked by entire group of enemies? Either for them to make it easier to hit, or for you, to be harded to parry/dodge/attack them at all
>>
>>52380497
That sounds like an advantage for them (Higher Purpose, specifically), not a disadvantage for you.
>>
>>52380354
TL4, high-mana, fantasy. It really is just a trading caravan company. These ~30 people mostly source goods and materials to cities and people of interest. The company was based out of a different nation to the north, but like I said the group mostly purchases materials and objects of interest for its customers, or acts as middle men for the area theyre based out of. They do stand against the empire as recently bureaucrats have been clamping down on their trade for people that they prefer (corruption and all that).

The PCs have talked to them, and have expressed interest in more nuanced and different advantages than "Hit things with sword better". It gives me a good way for them to hire legal, and administrative help if they need it, and someone to pawn off bizarre and magical items.
>>
>>52380717
?
What?
>>
>>52380984
Higher Purpose (Fighting Demons) [5] - +1 to all rolls made when fighting demons. Unless you want to afflict people with that, which would be even more expensive.

I can't think of any disadvantage that makes you easily targeted by others, but I have seen it as an advantage to attack others. You might be able to hack some sort of accessibility onto enhanced defenses and such, but that sounds like a bitch to do.
>>
>>52381047
I was talking about ROLL MODIFIERS, not advantages and disadvantages
>>
>>52381108
Yes, Higher Purpose gives them a bonus to attack you. That's the only modifier I know of for getting a bonus to attacking a specific group, and it's an advantage.
>>
>>52380497
The main advantage a group of enemies has over its target is getting behind it and keeping it from retreating. IF you see an opponent move behind you, you have a -2 to active defenses against, its a -1 for the other rear hexes. However you cant defend at all if you cant see what they were doing at all at the beginning of your turn.
>>
File: i_dont_understand.jpg (14KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
i_dont_understand.jpg
14KB, 320x240px
I want to have Dieselpunk-esque robots in my setting, but I'm having trouble deciding whether they should be devices, or characters with points.

These robots are very simple, as in an advanced one will only be able to move forward on tracked wheels, then move back, with the additional command of shooting anything that moves faster than 2 mph with a machine gun it's rigged to.

I wanted these to just be devices at first, but I've seen people full-on statting mecha and such here, so which is appropriate?
>>
File: vagrant sheet.pdf (47KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
vagrant sheet.pdf
47KB, 1x1px
I'm still new to chargen, would this be considered a balanced character for a low-magic fantasy setting? I feel like I'm missing something.
>>
>>52381723
>Speed
>5
>>
>>52381723
I'd recommend you maybe not go so hard on so few skills. That's a very worrying short skill list. Also bumping your speed up to 6 wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>52381723

Drop Resistant (you already have plenty HT to resist disease from HT and Fit) and cut down on all those extra FP (why do you even have that many?).

Get a dozen or so more skills.
>>
>>52381403

I'm unfamiliar with the device rules--don't use them much.

Honestly, I'd do a simplified character sheet. HP, ST, DR, DX, Weapon skill, and weapon.

I might use IQ as it's 'luck' stat--given an option between valid targets which it picks, lower roll means you pick one that will mess with the players more.

>>52381787 is shaming you, >>52381723, in case you didn't pick it up.

Drop your extra FP a bit and adjust yoru stats.

Also:
>+2 ST when using arms for attacking
Is a house rule that your GM may not be using
>>
File: vagrant sheet.pdf (47KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
vagrant sheet.pdf
47KB, 1x1px
>>52381787
>>52381929
>>52382024
>>52382253
something like this then?
i was worried taking so many skill would be spreading myself too thin but i guess that's the way to go
>>
>>52382459
Not any of the other anons, but it looks much better! You did the language talent wrong though, right now its a 6 point disadvantage when it should be 0 points as a native language.

Also in GCS you should be able to change you attributes without having to take an advantage for it. Just type in the number to alter it. Generally you only use those in racial templates.
>>
>>52382253

Alrighty, just seemed weird since it was such a simple machine. Thanks!
>>
>>52381296
So basically there is no direct malnus or any other penalty, when say, three dudes are at once attacking you frontally?
>>
>>52381723
You sure you want to dump 144 point on advantages and only 42 on skills, especially considering there is really short list of those skills AND considering that rising IQ by 1 would work better than spending points on your current skills?
It's pretty extreme build, what are you even planning to do?

- Not enough skills. At all.
- Why you need so much FP?
- You can as well just bump your stats up rather than picking "increased X" advantages
- At least get to 6 Speed already
>>
>>52383917
When three people attack you, your defenses are penalized (besides Dodge, by default) based on how many defenses you made. Go read the combat chapter.

Also, it'd be smarter if one guy attacked from the front and the other two did runaround attacks.
>>
>>52384023
I never played GURPS in my life, but this is my standard check about melee combat in any game - how does it handle being swarmed. If it provides penalty to defending party - good. If it provides bonus to attackers - even better. If none of those happens - it's a game to avoid.
Note - swarmed, not backstabbed.

Any half-decent game allows then to use a group of bandits to attack PC and still stand a chance due to such modifiers, rather than being easily slaughtered by much stronger PC, despite numerical advantage.
>>
>>52384133
If you use tactical combat, 2v1 is deadly as hell. One person can attack from the front, and the other can Move and Attack at your back hex. Now, no matter who you engage, you're going to be juggling facing and deciding who's going to get to attack your side/back hexes, although it's more likely that both will be able to.

3v1 or more is when you're in deep shit and probably want to surrender.
>>
>>52384162
Again, I'm not asking about backstab, but the sheer fact there are thee guys attacking you at once. It's not about any HEMA bullshit or stuff like that, but you literally can't parry, block and dodge thee people attacking you at once. I mean you can try... but "try" is the best term.

So only when they decide to go behind your back they gain any modifier or your PC a penalty?
>>
>>52384270
>When three people attack you, your defenses are penalized (besides Dodge, by default) based on how many defenses you made. Go read the combat chapter.

Christ dude.
>>
>>52384270
Read the fucking manual.
>>
>>52384133
>>52384162
You can make the situation even worse by dogpiling him and grappling. Wrestling people to the floor is a great way to penalize all the defenses, making it nearly impossible to dodge, parry, and block. Its even harder to fight back, as a lot of bigswords cant be used in CQC without penalties.

>>52384270
If you want bonuses, you can always make all-out attacks. Strong increases your damage, and Determined gives you a +4 to hit.

And when you do hit him, that guy has to deal wtih Shock penalties. GURPS is pretty hardcore on the combat and can lead to unwinnable situations pretty quickly with the right tactics.
>>
>>52382253
>>+2 ST when using arms for attacking
>Is a house rule that your GM may not be using
I always wondered why GURPS Character Sheet phrases it that way.
>>
>>52384407
Because long time ago someone submitted it this way.
>>
>>52382459
>100 point dog

That's a real good dog.
>>
Is it me, or with Martial Arts rules, are All-Out attacks suicide? Unless they end with you killing, or incapacitating your foe, then they're just going to get in a free telegraphed attack, and rip you a new one.
>>
>>52386145
Unless you have HT 15 or High Pain Threshold, yes. Theyre very desparate, and probably only something NPCs should do.
>>
>>52386145
Telegraphed Attacks interact very badly with any rules that deny defenses and generally shouldn't be used together/at all, in the case of TA, as it's neither a realistic nor balanced option. (IRL, a telegraphed attack isn't more accurate, it's just badly executed. It's like getting a bonus for throwing the bat in baseball).

Denied defenses is already a huge advantage, a rule that says "If a target is denied active defenses you also get +4 to hit" is shit.

Note that All-Out attacks are dangerous to use, but if you survive and are eating a -4 Shock penalty from a wound then you aren't going to be able to capitalize on the weakness as well as you'd like. In generally, AOA should be used only in situations where the benefit outweighs the risk.
>>
>>52386145
Basically, yeah. There are only three instances where you normally see All Out Attacks.
1. Attacker is desperate.
2. Attacker is sure there won't be a counterattack (i.e. kills the target or is making a surprise attack).
3. Attacker is wearing enough armor that they don't give a fuck.

>>52386348
Pretty sure I've seen this anti-telegraph argument before. It was dumb then and it's dumb now.
>>
>>52386394
What is the pros for telegraphed attack? It's a stupid rule and allowing it adds nothing to the game.

>>52386275
>>52386394

There's a bunch of reasons to use AOA beyond that. Targets without powerful melee attacks at a distance you'd otherwise have to Move and Attack to hit should be AOA'ed.

Mages that are concentrating, ranged attackers that will need to Ready a different weapon to attack in melee anyway and foes holding an unreadied weapon because they just took a swing with a maul or something? All great targets for an AOA. Risking a zero-defense quick draw attack or punch/kick is worth it.

If you outnumber a target, it's a good option. 2-3 AOA in a row can tear down very tough, powerful targets in a single round before they can unleash another powerful attack.

For combos, it's great if you have a friend that can either block for you with Shield Wall training or can just keep Reach 1 or C attackers from getting to you at all.

And of course, any time your defense is lower then 9 you might as well.
>>
>>52384270
gurps tactical combat uses a hex based systems with assumptions of realism. The run-around attack isn't a backstab, it's a core assumption of facing being important. The "swarming" penalty that other games tend to apply to represent defenses being harder to execute is, in GURPS, the run-around penalty.

For attacks from the side, you have a penalty. For attacks from behind you either a larger penalty, and if you can't see it, you cannot attack at all. Likewise, in tactical combat, a character cannot block or parry attacks from a side they don't have a shield or a weapon on.

So if in a 2v1 situation, they approach from either side and boom now the defender gets a penalty, potentially cannot use their shield and face the fact that soon someone could circle around and bash them in the back of the head.

There's a few other variation rules, like defenses taking a stacking penalty per time you use them ( I think block is -1 per block per turn, parries are -4 per parry per turn ). So already someone you're attacking is screwed on their 2nd or 3rd defense, a -2 penalty in GURPS can be very severe depending on skill level.

Finally - this:
>Any half-decent game allows then to use a group of bandits to attack PC and still stand a chance due to such modifiers, rather than being easily slaughtered by much stronger PC, despite numerical advantage.

A normal human character has, 15 HP on the high end? A sword can do 1d6+2 cut pretty handily, which is *1.5 to final damage. That's 4-12 damage, depending on defender armor. From 1 hit. GURPS is not D&D or something. 80% of the "swarming" penalty in GURPS is the literal fact that you're now facing multiple opponents, each of which can kill you dead. Stacking penalties to defense and the possibility of being blindsided is just even more lethality on top of that fact.
>>
Are there any "robot design" guidelines? Building them as character is fine; I'm mostly looking for stuff like "At Tech Level [X], DR realistically shouldn't exceed [Y] and will cost $[Z]" and similar notes. Hell, even if it's Vehicles-tier (and if it exists at all, I think it will be), I'll take it.

I want to let my players design bots, but I don't want it to devolve into "mother may I" for both their sakes and mine, especially if I'm going entirely by the seat of my pants.
>>
>>52387210
Well I somehow missed than GURPS: Robots exists for 3e. I'll report what I find.
>>
Please help me out /gurpsgen/

I want to make a GURPS Character Sheet library with just the relevant skills. Is there a way to copy all of the stuff I want from the Basic Set etc. in to a new library without having to put in all the information manually?

I am running a game for the first time and everyone I'm with is new to the system. I understand that you're only supposed to use the rules you want but I feel like my players are having a hard time finding the skills they want/need in the mix.
>>
>>52384270
One thing that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet is that every additional dodge/parry you make off turn is penalized.

Can't remember what the penalty is offhand atm
>>
>>52387646
File->new skills library
Open skill library from basic set
Drag tab to the side, so you can see them side-by-side
Now, GCS has problem with dragging stuff into empty library, so create new dummy skill in your library
Then you can just drag skills from basic set library
>>
>>52387858
Thank you.

I had tried dragging but I just assumed it wasn't implemented because I didn't have anything in it yet.
>>
>>52387210
There's also an Engine Hearts for GURPS 4e
>>
I'm so disappointed. I Googled 'sexy ginger' and all I got were pictures of people.
>>
>>52389728
Why would that be a disappointment?
>>
>>52382459
Take some quirks.
They are fun, simple, and even give you a few extra points to work with.
>>
>>52389728
Here you go you filthy animal.
>>
>>52391205
hot
>>
Is it worth to drop Effect Shaping RPM for Incantation Magic in favor to cut off lesser/greater effects?
>>
>>52391503
That's a personal decision. I honestly like the tier'd approach that IM takes over RPM's Greater/Lesser.
>>
>>52392035
I'm tired of defining what being greater effect and what not, so I seeking for ways to cutoff that.
>>
>>52371189
>>52371278
Honestly i didn't see what's too unreasonable about the seal templates. They're meant to be the best of the best of modern war fighters and those guidelines in basic set are just that guidelines. To be a Billionaire it costs like 135 points for the wealth and status alone. This isn't accounting for the other advanrages that come with the life path thst enabled you to be a Billionaire OR the skill/advantages that explain why you're worth so much.
>>
>>52392139
So what's the issue then? Use IM if you want to use IM.
>>
File: c251d5ab952f2d153d293bfc6e849d08.jpg (199KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
c251d5ab952f2d153d293bfc6e849d08.jpg
199KB, 1200x1200px
>>52384270

If you want to take on three adequately Skilled combatants alone and WIN, you'd better have a hell of a Skill advantage and certain Advantages (with a capital "a") such as Enhanced Defenses/Extra Attack/360 Degree Vision/Double-Jointed or Extra-Flexible Arms/Weapon Master or Trained by a Master/etc.
>>
>>52392538

Where's incantation magic, anyways?
>>
>>52392915
It's a Dungeon Fantasy splat, not a general title or Pyramid article.
>>
>>52392879
That seems a bit excessive a point to make

Long story short; 3-1 odds suck
>>
What cost should have Alignment?
Just to set up how character will determined for evil-good and chaos-order effects and entities?
[5] for neutral [0] for evil-good and [5] for neutral [0] for chaotic-lawful is fine?
>>
>>52394032

GURPS doesn't have alignments, since real, believable characters are far too multifaceted to be summarized by fundamentally broken concepts like "good" or "chaotic".
It's better to mix and match the huge amount of disadvantages to reflect a diverse character than to try and squeeze him into a tiny 9-hole grid.

In any case, you've got your numbers backwards.
The default position is neutral, and therefore is worth [0], anything else is a disadvantage.
Code of Honor can symbolize parts of what "Lawful" is intended to be, which is a [-5] disadvantage. Someone with Sadism would often be labelled as "evil" even if they have other redeeming qualities, that's a -15 disadvantage.

So in that sense, I'd say 5 points worth per step away from Neutral looks about right. NN is [0], CN, LN, NG, NE are all [-5], and CE, CG, LE, LG are [-10].
>>
>>52394032
Moral powers in Powers have a -15 point disadvaantage, such as Fanaticism [-15]. So Law would be Honesty (9) [-15], Good would be Sense of Duty (Humanity) [-15], and so on.
>>
>>52388058
I'd assume that's more narrative/gamist. Am I wrong in assuming that? I'll give it a look regardless!
>>
>>52392934
>It's a Dungeon Fantasy splat, not a general title or Pyramid article.

Got it, 19 right? Thank you!

So many books, so hard to find what you want, sometimes.
>>
>>52397022
Yeah, one of the downsides of having a lot of options. That's what we (or at least myself and the other autists) are here for though!
>>
Okay, at first glance, 3e Robot's design system is basically the same as mecha and battlesuits from 3e Mecha (it even has a couple paragraphs on using Robot to design battlesuits). This is a good thing because I'm the madman that made the automated spreadsheet for Mecha in the first place.

I may either dive into making another spreadsheet (should be easier this time as I've learned a lot of the functions of LibreOffice Calc my first time around) or start reading the Engine Heart (fan?)splat.
>>
God damn it i scrolled past the picture too quickly in the catalogue and thought that was the cover of an animorphs book.
>>
>>52399931
>God damn it i scrolled past the picture too quickly in the catalogue and thought that was the cover of an animorphs book.

I was about to go "Quick challenge! Do Animorphs" and realized it would be painfully easy.

Though I'd have to look up the feats for the other aliens to do them right. I seem to recall the canibalistic centipedes were really good at staying on their feet
>>
I love Sorcery!
>>
So let's ask the stupid question - to create embroidery, do you need anything else than just Sewing? Or does it fall under Artist (Emboidery)? And as stupid as it might sound, this is a pretty valid question asked by one of my players for the upcoming game, as she plans to pick Sewing and Leatherworking to make a living on selling Decorative versions of everything.
>>
>>52404054
I think it would be Artist (Needlework, Embroidery), Average because of the optional specialization.
>>
File: 1480170964565.jpg (5MB, 4701x3134px) Image search: [Google]
1480170964565.jpg
5MB, 4701x3134px
>>52404054
Sewing and Leatherworking lets you make unadorned or lightly decorated items, serviceable but not artful. You'd need artist in order to take it from "dress I'm going to buy because it is well cut and stitched and fits me" to "dress I'm going to buy because of the wonderful embroidered leaves"

Anyone with sewing can do simple embroidery though.
>>
>>52404054
I'd say yes. Knowing sewing you would know the stitches. Artist (Embroidery) would be needed to make something good. A good place to branch out when they get to 16+ in the skill
>>
>>52404547
Why do you always post with chicks or clothes that I find attractive (in this case - her dress)? Stop doing that! It's a fucking torture.

>>52404424
>>52404547
>>52404796
So to sum up - if it's supposed to qualify for Decorative, it needs high enough Sewing/Leatherworking and separate, pretty decent Artist skill for embroidery. Go figure. And thanks a bunch.
>>
>>52404054

Yeah, you'd need an artist skill. Also, artist leather working.

If you're willing to let it go, maybe artist (threads), or something, so they can do leather weaving and decorative knots and the sort on their leather work

Make them pick up drawing too, to plan out their work.

>>52404796
>Knowing sewing you would know the stitches

No you wouldn't. Embroidery stitches are really varied and many are not used in common sewing.

Like, you'd know running, back, blanket, split, seed, and maybe a few others that are functional.

But Bullion knots? Picot stitch? Any of the weaving stitches? Laid work? The entire casalguidi style?

Add in the colors and everything. Nah, you need artist, or high levels of sewing.
>>
File: 1482809608724.jpg (366KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1482809608724.jpg
366KB, 750x750px
>>52405287
>>52405662

>Ugly clothing only, promise.

I think could do it without Artist if you are working from someone else's pattern or design. Just Sewing would let you copy embroidery, you just couldn't design your own.

>Knowing the stitches

Seems like a great place to enforce familiarity penalties.
>>
What cool rituals i can make with path of chains aside of binding and cutting whiplashes and return strikes?
>>
>>52407269
>path of chains
Like, literally chains? Not much. Create bridges, break some machines, suffocate foes.
Metaphorically speaking, breaking chain of command or creating weak link in organization could be really useful.
>>
>>52407434
Chains in the emotional sense, like regret or guilt or anger, work too.
>>
>>52407269
Enchanted hook-shot? Something like a chain grapple gun that lets you pull yourself up, drag enemies to you, ect.
>>
>>52409158
> pull yourself up
Flight: vertical only, require surface?
>drag enemies to you
Um, how?
>>
>>52409238
>drag enemies to you
Telekinesis (Attraction only, -60%). It's from Powers or Psionic Powers, I think.
Alternatively, Binding (Retractable, +100%) which is from RPK's house rules http://www.mygurps.com/h_modifiers.html?p=ih&v=1
>>
Are there any alternate skill lists for GURPS without having to compile something with wildcard skills only? Bonus points if it keeps combat skills as-is and just simplifies technical skills. There's way too much chaff and needless minutia to skills for my gamestyle.
>>
>>52409626
Group up similar skills and make them harder one step than hardest of them. Like first aid, diagnosis, surgeon, physician, physiology grouped to medic
>>
>>52409626
But that's literally the only way you can do it - group things together, so you have one skill representing few elements in it.
>>
>>52403876
RPM master-race!
>>
File: 1489985350329.jpg (505KB, 2097x799px) Image search: [Google]
1489985350329.jpg
505KB, 2097x799px
>>52371440
>I wouldn't complain if the next session starts with us rolling initiative
Careful what you wish for...
>>
File: embroidery.jpg (32KB, 400x353px) Image search: [Google]
embroidery.jpg
32KB, 400x353px
>>52405287
>So to sum up - if it's supposed to qualify for Decorative, it needs high enough Sewing/Leatherworking and separate, pretty decent Artist skill for embroidery. Go figure. And thanks a bunch.

For simple line patterns, I would let them get away with it, but.

>>52407202
>I think could do it without Artist if you are working from someone else's pattern or design. Just Sewing would let you copy embroidery, you just couldn't design your own.

Sure, if it only called for stem, running, back, or split stitch. Following the lines and stuff.

But for something like pic related?

Like, the character could just sell that as a set piece for a pretty good sum of money

>Seems like a great place to enforce familiarity penalties

Big ones, depending
>>
The conversations gurpsgen gets up to...

It's like I don't even need other general threads anymore!
>>
>>52411979
Get out, ritual peasant
>>
What the hell is wrong with this thread today?
>>
>>52415839
I normally post some questions or at least respond, but I'm ass-deep in robot design rules at the moment.

On that note, can someone more familiar with 3e confirm is Complexity is the same across editions? It looks like TL was simply condensed post TL10--everything in 3e's TL10+ is either condensed into TL10, 11, or 12, or thrown to superscience (^)--but the Complexity values seem... inflated I guess?
>>
>>52415839
It's been a rough day for me, I haven't had time to post much..

That said, I'm working on something for GURPS. Tattoo as a way to give people powers and abilities at the cost of wearing magic symbols on your skin.

Has this been done before? I want to let players slowly find and collect patterns though the game, learning new things they can get marked on and even magically erase and replace tattoos once they collect the right tools.
>>
>>52416252

I don't know in what way it changed, but I do know that Complexity has changed.
>>
>>52415839
>What the hell is wrong with this thread today?

Abnormal levels of fagotry.

Anyways, been playing dishonored I again, reading the notes, and I'm like, jesus fuck I'd kill for Pandyssian setting. But I just don't have that scope of imagination. Red cliffs, strange beasts, flying fish with poisonous spines that land by the droves on the deck and everyone nicked falls prey sickness. lPus the general horror.

And that just got me thinking, it'd be cool if GURPS (Possibly via tg because we get shit done) had not a setting, but a collection of geography. "Island of Horror" with full fleshed out ecology or something like that
>>
>>52416297
Faaaaaaaahhhhhk that's what I was worried about. It seems really vague like you're saying, too. I can't seem to find much on the forums, either, though i may just be failing my Computer Operation roll and using the wrong search terms.
>>
>>52416342
... and you are asking for that in GURPS thread, because....?

Aside bump, that is
BUMP
>>
>>52416291
The moment you can magically erase tats, the entire point of having them is broken and off.
>>
File: hokuto no ken.jpg (216KB, 749x755px) Image search: [Google]
hokuto no ken.jpg
216KB, 749x755px
So I want to run a post apocalyptic supernatural/magic martial arts campaign based on the Fist of the North Star series, and GURPS was recommended to me.
For those unfamiliar, it's essentially Mad Max with Street Fighter characters.
How do I accomplish this?
I've read the basic rules but I'm still trying to grasp the system. What I need are tips on running a high-power campaign, and how to simulate martial arts and fighting game-like special abilities in a challenging yet fun and engaging way.
Any help will be extremelly apreciated.
>>
>>52418181
Sounds fun! The easiest approach would probably look like this:
1. Use After the End. AtE is the post-apoc series for GURPS, so if you're running that sort of campaign, it does most of the heavy lifting for you.
2a. Ditch the templates from AtE 1--they're for making scrappy survivors, not wasteland warlords that machinegun punch tanks into submission--and let your players build 400-point character from the ground up.
2b. *OR* have your players use those templates, but *then* give them another 250 points for extra ST, special abilities, and other badass aspects. This is more restrictive than 2a, but it ensures that all PCs have some differentiation, non-combat abilities, and basic survival skills. The use of templates also gives direction and a place to start from when designing a character, which can be priceless for some players.
3. Since realism and detail are secondary to cool and fast gameplay, just use GURPS: Powers for secret martial arts techniques. Everything is either an Innate Attack or Affliction, delivered either as an attack or as a Follow-Up to another attack. If you want, we can post some example kung-fu supermoves.

>1/2 (cont.)
>>
>>52419231
For players, the biggest issue for high-power games is simply finding where to put points towards. That's why I recommend using the templates to start; there's a strong incentive--especially for new players--to say "fuck that's a lot of points" and dump it all into a single ability or skill, making a useless character that can only punch/sneak/kamehameha. The template+250 approach makes sure that everyone has a decent spread of skills and abilities.

You also probably want to use either "Extreme Damage" from the Alternate GURPS issue of Pyramid or "Know Your Own Strength" from the Alternate GURPS IV issues. Both articles let you punch tanks with ST in the mid- to high-20s but in different ways.

If you go with a starting point budget of 400 and tell everyone to make combat monsters, your PCs *should* be fine with the rules in AtE that tend towards gritty survivalism because 400-point characters are stupidly competent regardless of the tone, but on the off chance it's not enough, read over Action 2 and 3 for a nice list of cinematic rules you can use to stop your badass wasteland warriors from being taken out by a coward with a pipegun and some cover.

>2/2 (fin)
>>
File: yew-tree-tattoo-designs.jpg (223KB, 500x766px) Image search: [Google]
yew-tree-tattoo-designs.jpg
223KB, 500x766px
>>52417116
The point of having them is they decorate and (in this case) give powers. It's magic you can't take off and it's hard to hide.

Erasing them won't be free or easy. Dropping $500 and five hours to erase a Medium tattoo will free up the points sunken into the Gadget based advantaged it offered and give you another place you could mark for a new tattoo, but it's not something where you could change it up on the fly.

They also offer an upgrade path without needing to be erased. A basic Magic Warding tattoo can be expanded with new runes and symbols to become more powerful.

I'm playing with the ideas of there even being mutators that totally change the function of a pattern for the players to discover. Changing a Innate Attack (Burning, Cold) into an ice-sword Striker.
>>
>>52419284
Fuck that, answer the REAL question Anon:
Are their badass yakuza-looking mages?
>>
>>52419411
There fucking BEST be
>>
>>52419231
>>52419254
That's great, thank you a lot.
>If you want, we can post some example kung-fu supermoves
Please
>>
>>52419284
Okay I had a system that might be useful, but I never play tested it.

Basically I rustled up a three tier lexicon...you know what, I'll just write out an example using two tiers

The first tier is your basic lexicon, this is common shite that the players will know about.

The Second tier is basically compound words. Some of the words were more refined basic words that cost less to use:
>BW Water: all water, 5 points to use
>CW Lake: only still fresh water, 3 points to use

And some had completely different effects. Like I think, if I remember rightly, Plant+Thing resulted in "Growth"

I'd maybe look into Kanji radicles for an idea
https://ahasensei.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/what-i-wish-i-knew-before-learning-kanji/
https://kanjialive.com/214-traditional-kanji-radicals/

And also /tg/ Mosaic system and setting on 1d4chan for a more simplified teir-ing
>>
File: Tony_Stark.jpg (23KB, 419x600px) Image search: [Google]
Tony_Stark.jpg
23KB, 419x600px
What's the best way to stat up, as an example, Tony Stark, both as himself (charismatic genius engineer and businessman) and as his myriad iron man suits plus assorted gadgets?

I've been considering running a supers campaign but until I figure out what the best way to handle characters like this I'm not going to get very far. Are the suits equipment? Gadget advantages? What about shit like repair costs and designing and manufacturing new suits? Does Jarvis count as an ally?

Ree.
>>
>>52420316
Kay, here's some basic stuff. It's up to you where to cap the damage on the innate attacks. 2*(punch damage) might be a good starting point. The ST-Based modifier for innate attacks is useful but really complex, so I would highly recommend instead having damage cap be ST-based. Also, it's up to you to demand reasonable limitations; I'm just giving basic forms--you should probably require Limited Use, Costs Fatigue, Takes Extra Time, Takes Recharge, similar limitations, or any combination of them!

The punch rush/ORAORAORA/AATATATA is a Crushing Attack that has the All-Out (-25%) and Melee, C (-30%) limitations, but also sports the Rapid Fire enhancement at some arbitrarily high level, likely with the Very Rapid Fire option from Powers for an extra +10% that effectively gives him a Rcl of 0.5.

Hand of death is either an Affliction that throws out a Heart Attack (+300%) or a Toxic Attack. Regardless, this comes in a LOT of forms. Again, you're probably going to see Melee, C (-30%) and usually Contact Agent (-30%), but beyond that, it's anyone's game. It can sport Delay, and the damage-based version might have any of Side Effects, Symptoms, or Cyclic.

Hadouken/Wave Punch is simple; it's the default Crushing Attack that keeps its range.

>>52420805
Depends on the campaign :^)
Seriously though, there are multiple approaches. For most supers, just build Iron Man's power array and slap on appropriate Gadget limitations; it's simple, straightforward, and effects-focused. New suits come out whenever you have enough points to buy a new array (likely as an Alternative Ability as you can only wear one suit at a time). Another approach is to take Gadgeteer and build yourself some TL9/10/11/12^ warsuits. Another another approach is to build the suit as an Ally with Compartmentalized Mind (Controls) and enough Payload. For the true madman, bust out 3e Mecha's rules on battlesuit design. Use my spreadsheet.
>>
Can I use GURPS to run a bronze age campaign or a campaign set in the Roman Republic?
>>
>>52421768
Yes.
>>
>>52421768
>Can I use GURPS to run a bronze age campaign or a campaign set in the Roman Republic?

Yes, Low Tech is your friend, also maybe the old 3E Rome supplement
>>
>>52421768
Bronze Age is among those few settings that GURPS can run smoothly and without any issues whatsoever.
Remember to read Low Tech, as per usuall when running Stone/Bronze/early Iron age games. Also, if your game is suppose to have just about any form of magic - or just superstitions that most consider as real magic - go read Ritual Path Magic.
>>
>>52421768
Yeah, I'm running a game with a setting that's in the Late Bronze Age and GURPS has been working great for it, although TL1 does limit you a lot in certain aspects, but I really like it that way.

I think realistic low-tech settings (Historical, or fantasy like Black Company) is where GURPS is best at.
>>
File: 1488409028277.jpg (102KB, 2126x1509px) Image search: [Google]
1488409028277.jpg
102KB, 2126x1509px
How to make good souls series/bloodborne styled game?
Like most of enemies have SM+1 or larger with related to that size ST, with upscale weapons and armor. And most of them have IT(unliving) which made impaling and vital hits useless.
So how run combat against such enemies, and not let them oneshot PCs while still being Boss or lieutenant-level threat?
>>
>>52423667
Make the PCs 400-point combat monsters. It works for Monster Hunters and those hunters are expected to go toe-to-toe with werewolves and old vampires (recently turned can be taken in groups, and antediluvians are solo boss threats).
>>
>>52423667
Use Havens & Hells from pyramid 89 and the video game mechanics from pyramid 72.
You don't have to give enemies no vitals, unliving, or homogenous if you don't want to, since it'd be a souls game, there's plenty of variety beyond animate objects and undead.
Use groups of enemies against characters. For bosses, you can search around on the forums for boss monster design. Generally you'll want to give them good defenses, good offenses, and multiple attacks or area effect abilities so they can engage multiple PCs at once.
Think about giving them Luck, too, so they can avoid critical hits.
>>
>>52423667
Bloodsouls games defiantly -don't- give undead No Vitals, as they can be one-shot by a imapleing attack from behind.

>>52423882
Well you could just give the PC's Unkillable 3, and have them reborn at a fire every time they die. Easier then tuning the game balance properly.
>>
>>52421768
Thee words for you, my friend:
Bronze Age Supers
Literally the best thing you can squeeze out of GURPS, playing as a demi-god and pulling deeds in the name of your godly parent or for own fame and glory.
>>
File: 1486204622348.jpg (101KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1486204622348.jpg
101KB, 750x1000px
>>52429095
I have folder named "MECHA WIZARDS" for just this purpose
>>
Ice cocoon
Spell Effects: Create Ice.
Inherent Modifiers: Area of Effect + Damage, Indirect Burning (Fragmentation, No Incendiary Effect) + Bestows a Modifier
Skill Penalty: Path of Ice‑6.
Casting Time: 5 minutes.
This spell conjures a cocoon of ice that is thrown (using Innate Attack (Projectile)) at an area of ground. Everything within two yards of that spot is momentarily engulfed by frost, causing 3d cold damage and everyone in 10 yard radius in danger being shredded by ice shrapnel.
Typical Casting: Create Ice (6) + Area of Effect, 2 yards (20) + Damage, 3d Indirect Burning (No Incendiary Effect, -10% + Fragmentation [2d], +30% (4) + Fragmentation skill +10 (32).
62 SP.

Ritual is correct?
It is possible to use Bestows a Modifier to increse fragmentation radius or reduce rcl of fragmentation?
>>
>>52430310
>Casting time
>5 minutes
Am I missing something? What's the practical application of this spell?
>>
>>52430440
Spells can be prepared ahead of time. Also that's the base speed; advantages and skill penalties can make it combat-speed.

>>52430310
Looks good. Only nitpick I have is that you missed the opportunity to include a binding effect with something named "[X] Cocoon."
>>
>>52430487
>missed the opportunity to include a binding
It's not about to wrap someone in cocoon, it's about "to throw beehive in girls room and see how bees stinging those bitches"
Cheap binding more effective separately as they rely on Quick Contest, like Ice Bonds: Create Ice (6) + Bestow a Bonus, +3 to Binding ST (4) + Range, 50 yards (8). 18 SP. Path of Ice‑1 to encase in ice (with binding ST = Path Level+3).
Thread posts: 278
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.