[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/ how does one actually teach less intelligent people how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1470890000271.png (638KB, 1000x830px) Image search: [Google]
1470890000271.png
638KB, 1000x830px
/tg/ how does one actually teach less intelligent people how to play? I like these people as friends but holy shit, they aren't smart and I'm worried they'll blame me if it isn't fun. I don't wanna piss off my friends.
>>
>>52341146
Aside from "less intelligent" being a relatively useless and inaccurate description, the solution is simple:

Don't use an unnecessarily complicated system. Find something with low player-facing complexity. Run one-shots with pregens before throwing them into character creation. Be a game designer and make a tutorial. Don't give them the rulebook and expect them to read it. Teach them the game and show them why it's fun.
>>
>>52341146
>Create pre-mades that fulfill a certain niche, or failing that, contributes something to the dynamic of the party to help with roleplay (arrogant conman, serious straightman, comical moron, etc.)
>Throw them into easy situations that they can use to get a feel for combat and experiment with their characters.
>Set up a simple premise that can be done in one session but leave the ending open-ended in case the players wish to continue with those characters.
And this is the important one
>Don't use a system that sacrifices conveyance for needless complexity (3.PF) or depth for accessibility (5e).
If a system is more complicated "roll X, compare to Y, result is Z" then you're probably better off just not just not using the system.
>>
>>52341146
Pick something rule-light. And when I say rule-light, I mean rule-light. If a game is more complex than Monopoly, you've picked wrong title, try again.

Also, tailor the game to their interests
>>
Alright. System with as few rules as possible I know is Risus, can you play more then a beer and pretzel game with it?
>>
>>52341146
Do you mean "less intelligent" as in "forgets basic rules for the 20th time" or as in "makes incredibly foolish in-character decisions"?
Those are very different problems and the latter may not be solvable.
>>
>>52343295
More the first then the latter.
>>
>>52341146
I see a kobarb, kofighter, and koleric. What's the laughing bold?
>>
>>52343379
With that make up I'd say a Koizard laughing about how he's broken the system or a Kogue laughing about now actually didn't disable the trap he said he did.
>>
>>52341146
Get them to read books and play videogame RPGs. If they dont have enough tropes to draw from they'll never be creative enough.
>>
>>52343379
>>52343407
It's clearly a konk.
>>
>>52343309
In that case, repetition. Keep forcing them into situations where they will have to know that rule.

They will either macro it (if this is an option), or remember it to save time.

Repetition is how humans learn. So repeat until its learned.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.